Lightning moves ahead of Habs in standings

The Tampa Bay Lightning moved into second place ahead of the Canadiens in the Atlantic Division with a 3-2 win over the visiting Columbus Jackets Friday night.

Kristers Gudlevskis, who made 55 saves for Latvia against Canada at the Sochi Olympics, stopped 36 shots in his NHL debut for the Lightning, who improved to 45-27-9 for 99 points. The Canadiens (45-28-8) have 98 points. The team that finishes second in the division will have home-ice advantage in the first-round playoff series between the Canadiens and Lightning.

The Canadiens play their final regular-season game Saturday night at the Bell Centre against the New York Rangers (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690), while the Lightning plays its final game Sunday afternoon in Washington.

Lars Eller, who is sick with the flu, didn’t practise with the Canadiens Friday in Brossard and isn’t expected to play Saturday against the Rangers. He has missed the last two games due to illness. The Canadiens called up Michael Blunden from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday afternoon.

The Canadiens announced Friday morning that captain Brian Gionta is the 2013-14 winner of the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy, which is awarded annually to the member of the team who played a dominant role during the regular season without earning any particular honour. Brandon Prust was the winner last season.

“I was glad that he won that honour because he showed a lot of character and leadership again this year through the course of the season,” coach Michel Therrien said about Gionta.

“He’s the type of guy that’s never going to complain about his role. He’s going to do it with a lot of pride. He’s going to accept it for the benefit of the hockey team. And that, for me, it means a lot.”

Voting for the award was done my members of the media who cover the team and Gionta earned 66 points in the voting to finish ahead of Brendan Gallagher (64) and Tomas Plekanec (51). Gionta has 17 goals and 22 assists in 80 games this season and is even in plus/minus. He will be presented with the award before Saturday’s game.

The NHL announced on Friday that there won’t be any additional sanctions on Canadiens defenceman Douglas Murray, who received a major penalty and a game misconduct for checking Johan Sundstrom from behind during Thursday night’s 2-0 loss to the New York Islanders.

The Canadiens announced after Thursday’s game that Alex Galchenyuk will miss the first round of the playoffs with a lower-body injury and that defenceman Nathan Beaulieu has been returned to Hamilton.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Gionta-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Bourque-Briere-Weise
Bournival-White-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Murray
Bouillon-Weaver

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Rookie goalie backstops Lightning to win, NHL.com

Canadiens should have edge on Lightning in playoffs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Gionta receives Jacques Beauchamp Trophy, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Little Davey now standing tall for Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Rocket Richard immortalized in wax at Bell Centre, by Dave Stubbs

There was a time when Habs almost folded, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

Rangers vs. Canadiens preview, NHL.com

McDonagh named Rangers’ MVP, newyorkrangers.com

Isles overpower Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens’ home-ice edge in jeopardy, by Pat Hickey

Habs letting go of loss, Canadiens.com

Maple Leafs name Shanahan team president, NHL.com

1. sheds88 says:

ideally, i would like to see columbus leap frog philadelphiia and play the rangers.
    philly vs pens
    boston vs wings

2. zorro says:

Gonna have to beat the Rangers now.

3. Danno says:

‘Canes 2 Wings 1 final in regulation
    ________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

4. Willy the bum says:

Saw the video above, and yes they have to work on their PP. I hope it includes taking more shots than passes and always front and screen the opposing goalie. And always be ready for rebounds.

5. Black Horse says:

Lindback eh!

Not the first time a backup has stoned the Habs.

I am a Habs fan & have been for 55 years. I have seen some glorious years. I have gotten my hopes up for some years since 93 only for my team to shate the bed. I see a bi-polar team here. I can’t be positive with some of the players we have here & who is running the show!

• Steven says:

Might not even be Lindback we face. The notorious Latvian goalie, Gudlevskis, started today. Maybe they feel more confident with him. It really depends who ends up between the pipes in their last game.

6. jimmy shaker says:

Big shutout for Jaro, can he do it on Sunday vs the bolts for his old pals?

7. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

will Habs sign Murray for another season or give his role to Tinordi?

• jimmy shaker says:

Depends how much MB dish’s for PK, marky and if he wants to make a splash for vanek……gut feeling is that weaver, murray and frankie are all done after this year.

• Willy the bum says:

Gotta wait to see Murray perform in the playoffs first. Either he’s play good or bad in the playoffs, the Habs already choose Tinordi anyway. He’s young and will learn over the years as a dominate stay-at-home defenseman who can really pack a hit.

Weaver, however, I give him maybe a year extend.

• CJ says:

I think the PK file holds the future for all secondary moves.

If PK gets $9 million, than we will need to have Tinordi, Beaulieu and maybe even Pateryn to offset the cost. It will be magnified if Markov is resigned for $6-$7 million.

If either PK or Markov does not return (just an example), and a younger player is brought in to offset the loss (again, for illustrative purposes only, but say Jacob Trouba), than maybe we insulate the young defence with Murray and Weaver.

Again, the decisions with Markov, PK, Vanek, Gionta all hold secondary implications. PK however is the key.

8. Say Ash says:

Looks like CBC on the west coast will be showing the right game tomorrow. Thank geebus.

• Habcouver says:

Thank goodness. I’ll even put up with Jim Hughson or Bob Cole.
      It’ll be interesting to listen to Cherry and the Laffs’ demise.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

9. CJ says:

I like MacKenzie Weegar’s game. I’ve watched him locally for a few years. He played with one of my wife’s cousins. He and Liam Coughlin were both targets with that seventh round pick we flipped to the panthers, before returning it for Parros.

10. jimmy shaker says:

Always wanted to ask this question. Does the habs dressing room have a curve to it when it’s not being used for games. On 24CH it looks like it’s pretty straight and rectangular but sometimes on non game days it looks like there is an oval shape to it. Not sure if you guys have noticed or actually know or even care. Maybe I’m just imagining it. Anyone?

• stephen says:

Hi shaker,

Perhaps you’re confusing the Bell Centre dressing room with the one in Brossard? Not entirely sure, but I think the practice rink dressing room might be more of an oval.

Or maybe the shots that make the room look oval are using a particular lens?

• jimmy shaker says:

OH so the one in brossard is basically a replica of the bell centre? If that’s the case then there is the answer. I didn’t know they did that in Brossard. Cool, thanks for the clarification.

• CJ says:

Never been in it, but the one in the hall of fame in Toronto (how rich is that?), which is supposed to be a replica of the one from the forum is straight. I’d be willing to bet there is no curve. Perhaps just an optical illusion.

• jimmy shaker says:

Love that in the hall, a nice dig for all of taranna. I think stephen may have the answer above, or both of you do with the camera lens/shots.

Thanks boys.

• Willy the bum says:

The Bell Complex facility in Brossard is the location for the oval shaped dressing room the Habs dress up on practices and non-game days. More suitable for the team to give the franchise its history and class.

11. JF says:

Tampa leading 3-1. It looks as though Lindback has taken up where Bishop left off, giving up two goals or fewer per game. The injury to Bishop could turn out to be bad news for the Habs, since he had regularly been giving up three or four goals since the Olympics. His save percentage since then had dropped from about .930 to about .900.

• jimmy shaker says:

It’s latvia’s tender in the crease for the bolts tonight! The 50 save maniac.

• JF says:

Even worse. I can’t stand the Lightning. They play a tight, boring, defensive game. It’ll be like playing the Jacques Lemaire-coached New Jersey Devils, just as frustrating and, I suspect, just as disappointing.

• jimmy shaker says:

I don’t feel the same as you do my friend….not with what I’m seeing in Price since he’s been back from the olympics. This guy is ready for a big run. It could almost be a 1993 type year. I’m totally sober as I write this.

• JF says:

I agree Price is ready, but we still have to be able to score. Our top line was completely invisible the last time we played the Lightning; if they succeed in shutting that line down, there’s no way we score more than a goal a game.

• jimmy shaker says:

That’s where MT’s whipping boy Danny B, comes alive!!!!!

12. Sportfan says:

Do people really think Ovie is going to the KHL?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

13. Mattyleg says:

Great post below by UCE.

Was actually thinking about exactly that today when TSN690 was talking with Dave Randorf, who said that the Habs have a very good chance to go a long way in the playoffs.

Then he said, “I don’t know why, but Montreal always seems to fly under the radar in the rest of Canada. People say they’re too small, but they’ve got a ton of talent, and especially a ton of character, but they’re never really part of the conversation.”

Never really part of the conversation.
    Hmm.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. jimmy shaker says:

Jaro shutting out the hawks, if that continues……do you think he can do a favour for the boys on sunday? Providing they now have to beat the rangers tomorrow night for sunday’s game to even matter.
    Well technically they only need 1 point tomorrow with tampa losing on sunday.

15. Say Ash says:

Does the game tomorrow determine anything for the Rangers?

16. CJ says:

Gatineau is on the way out. They just don’t have the talent or goaltending to match Halifax. Looking forward to seeing Fucale match up against Baie Comeau in the finals.

Quickly, remind me again how Anthony Mantha dropped to #20 in last year’s draft? He already has nine goals this postseason. Oh, and he has the size to match his skill.

Vincent Dunn is going to be a thorn in our side at the next level. He is a chippy sh$t disturber, who likes to hit late. The Senators picked him up in the fifth round, so we will have to put him in his place soon.

17. BobbySmithWasClutch says:

I see TB is winning tonight. Assuming that holds, do you think there’s any way Habs coaches/mgmt. will decide to rest certain key players tomorrow bc they expect TB will beat WAS on Sunday? (i.e. they’ll assume Habs chances to get home ice advantage are slim to none)? I don’t

• Habcouver says:

I can’t see Habs resting key players for the final game either way. They want to be building momentum going into the playoffs.
      Also, WAS is destroying CHI right now. They are loose and Ovie may want to further prove that he’s no slacker.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• jimmy shaker says:

They have no one up front to rest, only on the back end where frankie and tinordi are the extra D…..don’t think mt will rest or change the d though.

• CJ says:

I’m done playing the guessing games. I think zig and they do zag. To their credit, the team is winning, even if I would have a different line up. I’ll be the first to give them credit. I just don’t have a feel for what moves might follow.

• FormalWare says:

Jackets just tied it up. But I don’t see MT making lineup decisions based on whether or not a win is likely to make a difference for 2nd place. If certain players need rest and certain others can use the tuneup, that’s the overriding factor.

WWSD (What Would SubbieDoo?)

18. The Jackal says:

Can any golf aficionados tell me what the allure of the sport is and why you/people find it enjoyable? Just out of curiosity.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• frontenac1 says:

Golf is a great sport amigo. It’s total Zen. And you can drink while you play.

• Habcouver says:

Playing or watching?
      I prefer the former just to get out there, kick back with buds, and talk Habs.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
      Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

• CJ says:

IMO, it’s the most difficult game in the world. It tests you mentally and physically. It’s not unlike life – It’s not always fair, nor do the bounces always go your way, but if you play it honestly, you will be rewarded.

Golf can’t be beat. You can follow a 76 with a 93. It has helped me meet new friends and network professionally.

Lastly, what other sport brings you beer while you compete? I’ve played some courses where you can order from the comfort of your cart. As a family, I can’t wait to play together. I’m very fortunate to have a membership at the best course in the city. I’ve brought my son, after dinner for two years. We roll balls on the putting green and once in a while play 2-3 holes.

I don’t know what heaven looks like, but I imagine for me, it’s a golf.

• frontenac1 says:

Amen CJ. Mrs Front plays a lot more than me and she kicks my arse whenever we get out together. But I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s all good. Saludos!

19. mdp2011 says:

Victor Hedman apparently injured tonight.

20. MannyR says:

A little off topic but most Leaf fans would prefer to see Shanahan on the 3rd line and Clarkson moved into the office.

21. Habcouver says:

So what is it, do we want Habs to have home ice advantage or not?
    Not sure to whether to cheer for BJs or TB.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

22. punkster says:

Habs got this whole Stanley Can thing wrapped up I say.

Gio gets the JBM trophy, MT a shoe in for the Adams and now we call up Blunden.

Ça sent la coupe!

Release the Subbang!!!

23. saskhab says:

Just a bit off topic and not sure if this has been mentioned or if this is correct and really kind of who cares but with Ryan Smyth retiring today is he not the only/last player still using a wood stick in the NHL and was not Mactavish the last player to not wear a helment in the NHL?

24. Danno says:

They make golf look so darn easy.

Well, it isn’t :-(

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

It is nice to see a lot fewer beer guts at Masters.

26. monmick says:

I wonder whether Martin F. Brodeur would be interested in going to Ottawa if the Sens were to trade Anderson this summer. His son is playing for Gatineau…

He could be a great mentor for Robin Lehner and ease him into the #1 role over the next year or two. I’m not sure whether Marty would be interested in taking on such a role but, if so it could be bad news for the Habs given his past performances…

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

27. 24AW says:

They may do alright in the playoffs but no Stanley Cup. You have to be on something if you think this team can win a cup. I’ll be surprise if they get by The Lightning.

Rupp gets 4 games for his hit on Oshie. There is no helping this league.

• 24 Cups says:

Michael – The NHL really doesn’t give a shit about player safety. Shanahan, the new saviour of the laffs, tried to crack down on dangerous hits but the GMs and coaches quickly put him in his place.

I have no idea who will replace him but it won’t be with a new mandate.

29. emann_222 says:

Congratulations to our Captain!

And Congrats to Carrey Price on the announcement that he is the Molson Cup winner for the year.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.com

How long has Eller been out? That’s quite the flu he’s got, if that’s indeed the flu. Get him into the sauna to sweat it out, pour a bucket of ice cold water on him and give him a couple of vodka shots. He’ll be as good as new.

31. on2ndthought says:

Who will MT have available for round one? If Eller is really sick, how long before his strength comes back (remember he is still a kid; this could be his first crack at a virus I’ve kicked around a few times). Moen and Prust are very big pieces to be missing right now. Big, responsible forwards who make our 3, 4 lines tough to play against. How does Briere with Gally and Eller sound for a third line offensive line. Gio and Pleks with Bourque as a defensive second line. That leaves Bournival, White and Weiss as a 4th line. Prust and Moen mean Bournival and Bourque sit, we need Briere to provide some offensive creativity.

“a cannonading drive”

32. Un Canadien errant says:

Set your PVR’s everyone, Sportsnet is showing the Screaming Eagles and Zachary Fucale playing against Martin Reway’s Gatineau Olympiques at 1900 hr Eastern, 1600 hr Pacific.

And the Commentariat is slipping, I should have been told of this, not just blunder into it by happenstance.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• johnnylarue says:

I always figured we were little more than a human TV Guide to you, UCe…

• Un Canadien errant says:

If that. My TV Guide reliably lands in my mailbox every week along with my Sélections du Reader’s Digest, and unerringly lets me know in advance what shows I will watch on my Electrohome. The Commentariat, however, is much more scattered, very hit and miss. For shame.

• fire2nv says:

sorry uce its the halifax mooseheads against gatineau the screaming eagles were gone last round hahaha

33. Un Canadien errant says:

Just as an illustration of the subtle bias francophone players face, and how much the NHL is an old-boy club, but last night on RDS, during the broadcast, the talking heads were all over the fact that Stéphane Quintal was an assistant for Brendan Shanahan, had done the job for years now and had been the NHL delegate to the Sochi Olympics to ensure discipline was handled properly. They properly concluded that he would be a natural choice to succeed Mr. Shanahan.

Meanwhile on TSN, with a panel consisting of Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie, when they were asked who would fill Brendan Shanahan’s post, there was not a mention of Mr. Quintal. They brought up Mike Murphy, Brian Burke’s kid, talked about Bill Daly’s cautious approach, mentioned a couple of other names, but their answer was that an official replacement would wait until the summer.

I don’t think there was an agenda at TSN, or any ill-will, just that the reporters have their trusted sources, their guys they can phone, and vice-versa, and this circle of trust is hard to break in. When a job becomes available, it becomes a question of ‘Who do we know?’ as opposed to ‘Who would be a good fit for this job?”

Even if someone doesn’t accept that the Canadiens have a social obligation to promote Quebecers who otherwise might not get a chance because they’re outsiders, in a practical sense it makes a lot of sense to do so. With a lot of qualified candidates and comparatively fewer teams mining that pool of talent, there will be a lot of gems to be found.

———————————————————————–
    My sources are unreliable, but their info is fascinating.–Woody Paige

• docketrocket says:

interesting observation.

• alain58 says:

Where’s the thumbs’ up gadget when you need one?

• johnnylarue says:

A plus. [French font]

• DipsyDoodler says:

Yes, but the only clique this incident labels is an impotent and irrelevant group of TSN windbags.

—–
      Moving. Forward.

• Timo says:

I couldn’t believe how short Dregger is.

• The Jackal says:

Great point UCE, I fully agree and hope that others can understand the unfairness and why it is important to promote Quebecers, etc…

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• bwoar says:

That’s quite a stretch to get to “subtle bias francophone players face” but then francophones are pretty stretchy people. It’s part of the unique and treasured culture we enjoy. It’s tiring constantly considering oneself as an outsider and disadvantaged, so that elasticity is a necessary defense against terminal ennui.

And, the folks at TSN are often pretty clueless if something happens that doesn’t directly involve the Leafs, so it’s not surprising their “network” didn’t see it coming.

• monmick says:

What did Pierre Lebrun say, if anything?

Anyone know where he’s from anyway? I would guess franco-ontarian, but I don’t know.

M

~~~> Mathematically eliminated…

• Un Canadien errant says:

I don’t remember him being on that particular segment. I do think the point you’re getting at is valid though, that since he works regularly on RDS, he might be more in tune, but in this case we won’t know.

34. habs001 says:

Over the season well over 50% of the Habs have been singled out by a variety of posters that they are are not good enough for the team or are passed their best playing days…Lot of these comments on the individual players are correct…This should indicate that the Habs should have way fewer points than they have now as this is a good team but based on the talent on the roster it should not be a 98-100 point team..They have overachieved…There have been many games over the season that the team did not look good and lost but also many games where they did not look good but won…This is why an early exit from the playoffs should not be suprise because for this team to win it has to play above its talent level and get breaks..When things dont go their way they do not have the talent to overcome this..Same thing happened last year vs Ottawa…they played well in the first two games …should have been up 2-0….could not overcome bad breaks…

35. mark-ID says:

Blunden recalled by Habs.

• Un Canadien errant says:

In a dark moment the other day, I was idly thinking that Mike Blunden would be a cost-effective replacement for René Bourque, a big winger who skates and doesn’t hit as much as you’d like, who can’t/won’t drop the gloves, and won’t score.

And I wasn’t doing this as a slight to René, I think the guy is confused, lost. He has no confidence. When he tries hard, it doesn’t even look right, kind of how a guy playing air guitar or lip-synching looks fake compared to a guy who’s really playing, really working, with a clear purpose of what he wants to accomplish. A clear idea of where the puck is, how he’s going to get it back, and what he’s going to do with it when he has it.

So yeah, once I accepted that maybe René wasn’t just brimming with potential any longer, that the 27-goal seasons were no longer a reasonable likelihood or comparative, that what we see now with him is not just a guy who’s snakebitten and needs a bounce or two to turn it around, get back on track, that he is what his point total shows, then I thought if we can unload him for a seventh-round pick on someone else, then Mike Blunden can come in and play his role, except he’ll do it at league minimum.

36. Ozmodiar says:

@Phil – the Habs will have to make a deal with the Devil to draft 30th. ;)

37. jimmy shaker says:

Why isn’t RDS showing the c-bus/bolts game? Way more important than the canes/wings.

38. Psycho29 says:

I was curious about ending the season on a high or a low and how it affects the post season.
    I did a check on the Habs’ last two Cup runs (for what it’s worth) and how the regular seasons ended:

1992-93 (48-30-6, 102 pts., 3rd place Adams division) :
    Over the last 11 games, 4-5-2, 44 GA including an 8-3 loss vs Buffalo at home.
    Lost 3 out of their last 4 games.

1985-86 (40-33-7, 87 pts., 2nd place Adams division) :
    Over the last 11 games, 3-7 and a tie, 43 GA including an 8-6 loss vs Quebec at home.
    Lost 6 straight in those last 11 games. (Thank goodness the internet didn’t exist then!!))

So the 2014 team is 7-2-1 in the past 10 games. Sure they are struggling but all teams do sometimes. Better now than in late April!

• jimmy shaker says:

Well why didn’t we win the cup last year then? Maritime Ron told me the boys were 3W-5L after beating the sabres and clinching a spot. Hey if they win on saturday, they’ll go into the dance on a winning streak, no?

• habs001 says:

If this lineup was called the Boston Bruins or any other team not one poster would say they have a chance to win the cup..reality is this would be one of the weakest rosters in the history of the NHL to win the cup..

• AceMagnum says:

Holy crap, in ’86 we had almost the same record the Leafs do now!!!

—————————-

THE KINGS ARE KINGS!! 2012

39. Maybe I’m nuts, but with AG27 out for the first round, it seems to me like the forward lines should be pretty straightforward:

1. Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek. That’s a given.

2. Eller-Plekanec-Gionta. Shutdown line that plays against TB’s top line — plus they can score. Pleky and Gionta already have some chemistry, and Eller has looked good on their wing.

3. Bourque-Briere-Gallagher. Bourque brings size and some defensive awareness to a small offensive-minded line. Briere can make plays. Gally brings net presence and dirty goals, and maybe motivates two guys in need of motivation. This line is not great at anything, but decent at everything, and could succeed in sheltered minutes. You could make a case for Bournival in Bourque’s spot, but then this becomes a tiny line.

4. Some combination of White/Weise/Prust/Moen/Bournival. The kind of line you hate to play against. Parros sits.

Devils coach Jacques Lemaire on the Daneyko-Kaminski feud – “Daneyko got mad when Kaminski said he was going to knock his teeth out. Dano has only two teeth left, so you can’t say that to Dano.”

• Steeltown Hab says:

Eller hasn’t looked good on the wing.

Since Briere – Plek – Gionta is already Proven I’d go with one of those.

Davey +2
      Bourn / Briere – Plek – Gionta
      Bourn / Briere – Eller – Gallagher
      Prust – White – Weise

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin, Bournival, De La Rose – @J_Perez22

• habs_54321 says:

he’s looked bad at center too, keep briere at center move eller too the wing if you gotta choose

• Habs_101 says:

Patch-dd-vanek
        Prust-Plekanec-Gionta
        Bournival-Eller-Gallagher
        Borque-briere-Weiss

Prust would be on a straight shutdown, while Eller would be exploitation line 2, Briere line would be Added bonus 5-5 against other fourth lines, while Briere would get PP time as we’ll

GO HABS GO!

• Habs_101 says:

And I’d also definitely be going;

Gorges-subban
          Markov-Emelin
          Beaulieu-weaver
          Tinordi

Buuuuuuutttt, that won’t be happening apparently lol

GO HABS GO!

40. The Teacher says:

Gionta already has a honour. He is the captain. How can a Captain receive the Jacques Beauchamp award. Reeeeaaaaaallllly stretching it now but wtv. Good show for a guy in his last year with the team.

• shiram says:

He gets a ton of crap because he wears the C, so it’s a balance thing with the award.

• That’s fair. If he gets the heat, he should get the credit too.

41. Mattyleg says:

Been working harder than I’d like today, so been off the radar.

Hope nobody’s too worried about last night’s game.
    We didn’t care about the stupid Isles.
    Home ice is not necessarily an advantage.

Just hope we can turn it back on tomorrow night.

And in other news, I picked Colorado to win the Cup after 2 weeks this season. Shoulda put my money where my mouth was!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

42. Luke says:

Well, it is almost that time again…

Enjoy the weekend folks.

I’m off to the pub. Happy Beerday to all!

43. Danno says:

TV tip: Wings vs ‘Canes at 7:30 tonight on RDS

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

44. Habcouver says:

Are you really really really disappointed?

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

45. rhino514 says:

Curious, I hear that players are quite tentaive for awhile when coming back from even a mild acl strain.
    Should we not expect anything from the kid these playoffs? Unfortunate that it happened, really, for once it was looking like we could be fullay healthy going into the playoffs.

Man, Phil is sucking. Come on, Phil!

47. B says:

How come Ryan McDonagh (77 games 14 goals 29 assists +11) gets a lot more Norris consideration than Mark Giordano (62 games 14 goals 32 assists +13)?

–Go Habs Go!–

48. mrhabby says:

Masters is weird. has to be the only sport where middle age men in shorts go and watch. Course is nice.

49. Habcouver says:

The low scoring style in playoffs are to the Habs’ advantage.
    Stay positive all.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

50. Habitoba says:

@Habcouver

Any good places to watch a Habs game in Vancouver? Barring certain circumstances, I’ll be moving over there come June (where I hope the Habs will still be playing)

Gionta played a dominant role? In what universe?

Next step – re-sign him for 3 more years.

52. AH says:

What? No day off today??? Gio better show some leadership and file a grievance with the NHLPA.

53. Luke says:

Bubba’s on fire! Holy.
    Weirsy too! Go Weirsy.

My boy Spieth, outta the gate with bogey.

54. UKRAINIANhab says:

Hopefully, that loss last night lights a fire under the habs a$$. I actually like the fact they lost that game, should get them a little more urgent when the playoffs come rolling around. Would not mind starting on the road as well, Starting to feel like the playoffs in the air, nice warm weather here in the GTA. First outdoor soccer game for me vs the croatian church today anyways, nice to see Weir up near the top. Go mike!

55. B says:

If Montreal lets Minny, Tampa and the Rangers pass them in the standings, they could move up 3 spots in this summer’s draft.

–Go Habs Go!–

56. ClutchNGrab says:

“… Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy, which is awarded annually to the member of the team who played a dominant role during the regular season without earning any particular honour.”

I love Gio, but a player who’s the captain and making 5 mil per year shouldn’t be eligible for this award. If the team rewarded you a contract at that amount, you are expected to perform. Budaj, Gallagher would have been my choices.

• JUST ME says:

Spirit of the award has nothing to do with being the money you make . It is given to the hard team worker who does not get the recognition he truly deserves but is often seen as the 4 th star. Budaj and Gallagher although being seen as members of the support staff did get noticed and recognized when theit time was up. Gionta ? Not sure. We blamed him for his being small and not scoring anymore without recognizing his defensive work.

• Mattyleg says:

Money doesn’t come into it.

By that token, no hockey player should win the award, because they are all paid millions.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

57. B says:

Ryan Miller pulled last night after giving up 4 goals on 13 shots (.692 sv%). He lost his previous game with an .818 sv% and lost the game before that with a .862 sv%.

Colorado with 111 points has now caught up to St.Louis (who have now lost 4 in a row) and have the 1st tie breaker over the Blues.

–Go Habs Go!–

58. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Gionta was never dominant. Gally had some slumps but he ignited the team’s two best lines (pre-Vanek). He should have won…the grittiest player on the team by far.

59. frontenac1 says:

I thought Gio deserved it last year for taking out Reimer with that Drive-by shoulder shimmy. Classic!

Shout out to Chrisadiens who is getting married this weekend.

All the best Chris!

CHeers!

Interesting story, (who knows if true) but entertaining and seems plausible.

62. alfieturcotte says:

Line up for the playoffs should be as follows:

y lines:
    Max, DD, Vanek
    Bournival, Pleks, Gallagher
    Bourque, Eller, Gionta
    Prust, Briere, White

D
    Markov / PK
    Gorges -Emelin
    Weaver- Beaulieu

Hoping MT and MB don’t continue to stifle PK. Frankly, I might even pair up Beaulieu w/PK.

• jimmy shaker says:

almost….I’ve got bourquie in the presser and danny b on that 3rd line. I think having him in the 4th line really disrupts the purpose and roll of the fourth line. My fourth line is prust/white/weezy. If danny b doesn’t do anything in the first two games than swap them. Nathan is number 9 on MT’s “dep” chart and is in hamilton. He’ll get called up after hamilton’s season ends but will not play barring injuries. MT will use murray as the 6th d-man. frankie will come in depending on murray’s play or if he wants more mobility, and tinordi probably like nathan won’t get in at all in the series. That’s my lineup.

• alfieturcotte says:

I don’t get MT’s view on Beaulieu. The guy was playing up to n#3 mid year and played very well the other night. He adds a dimension to the team D that nobody has w/the exception of PK – an ability to move the puck / skate. The rest of them (Tinordi incl) consistently get caught w/the puck in the D zone due to their inability to move quickly enough.

• jimmy shaker says:

Mt likes his vets…..I really think depending on how big of a splash MB makes in the offseason with trades or UFA signings, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn all have a really good shot at being the top 7 D on the club next year.

63. Mattyleg says:

Agh!
    Okay, okay, you have to read the poll with one more for Plekanec and one less for Gallagher.
    I clicked the wrong button.

Otherwise, carry on as you were…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

Very surprised officials at Augusta didn’t pair Craig Stadler with his son Kevin. Would have been a nice touch.

65. Feraco says:

Galchenyuk Eller and Prust out! And Moen! That’s our whole 3rd line generally!

I’m starting to panic…

66. DipsyDoodler says:

I’m not sure what that award is really for, but I would have voted for Tomas Plekanec.

Also, is it just me or was Gionta playing much better with Eller and Bourque? (Although he was a bit lazy on Cgicago’s late goal on Wednesday.)

—–
    Moving. Forward.

• krob1000 says:

You could easily say all three of those guys “played much better” when together. I like that line.

• JUST ME says:

The Jacques Beauchamp award goes to the 4 th star of the season. A hard worker ,well liked ,generally unnoticed that does not get the recognition he deserves.

Jacques Beauchamp used to be a journalist for le journal de Montréal that was that kind of a guy back in the days. Was known for having taken the habs goals during a practice to help out . Back in the days when it was not a crime to root for a team when you are from the medias…

67. JUST ME says:

Gionta sure deserves that recognition. He found new ways of being an important asset for the team and although many only judge players with how many goals they gets there are dozens of other plays that never appear significant but make all the difference. And talking about our captain i know quite a few other captains that i would never trade against him !

68. Luke says:

So Ryan Smyth is retiring.
    Is today’s press conference to annouce that, or that he’s the Oilers’ new President?

69. jimmy shaker says:

Detroit has 91 points with 2 games to go

Washington has 87 with 2 games to go

if detroit loses both and washington wins both they would have same amount of points and more wins than detroit, so why are they (detroit) in and washington out? Am I missing something?

70. Black Horse says:

“He will be presented with the award before Saturday’s game”.
    Well there’s another loss right there.

“Alex Galchenyuk will miss the first round of the playoffs”
    Should have read: “Alex Galchenyuk will miss the only round of the playoffs”.

71. joewindsor habfan says:

Well done Gio! Deserving candidate, i hope that’s not the last of the silverware for this year. I’m thinking bigger and heavier for the entire team to share.

72. Habcouver says:

Our diminutive captain is well deserved of this recognition.
    I’m surprised he’s played every game this year, compared to last year’s injuries.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

Hard not to like the guy. Competitive, defensively responsible and seems to be a pretty good leader. We shall see what happens in the offseason, but if he comes back with a reduction in salary it isn’t a bad thing. I did think for awhile earlier in season that he was starting to look near the end of the string. But having him on the third line is perfect, he can bump up to second on occasion, but he is now a very good 3rd line player.

• Habcouver says:

Well put. I too have had my doubts about him but he’s served the CH well. Maintaining pride and respect in the sunset years of a hockey career must be hard on many players: hats off to Gio for doing an outstanding job of it.

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
        Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

73. The Jackal says:

Yeah Gio!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

74. The Jackal says:

I doubt that’s actually a point of contention between Molson and MB. Just win any way you can. If home ice were that important they would not have rested players down the stretch.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

75. CJ says:

Although this is not based on any fact, I have to believe he was actively shopped this year. There just isn’t a market for that kind of player. The only way we get rid of him is to agree to take back a bad contract, or take on another “fixer upper.”

IMO, he will be one of the guys moved this summer.

76. CJ says:

Funny you mention that. I proposed Bourque for Gadzic a month ago.

77. The Jackal says:

I’m sure he is thinking of the $$$$ but not to the detriment of the team’s long-term success.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

78. frontenac1 says:

My Masochism outweighs my Chauvinism amigo. I am doomed.

79. jimmy shaker says:

Good team, good coach, good GM, good brass. Keep on rolling no matter what. That being said I still hate them sons of B’s and fart in their general direction.

80. HabFan in Edmonton says:

Yup, hate them too but they certainly have a good organization, can’t dispute that.

81. CJ says:

Agreed. One of the best. Not afraid to integrate youth. Thomas goes, gets replaced by Rask. Take a look at the age and experience on defence.

82. Willy the bum says:

I give Vanek a 2 or 3-year for $25m. Sure that sounds like I’ve gone out of my head, but that’s how I see it.

83. HabFan in Edmonton says:

I think the Wings would have to go deep in the playoffs for Zetterberg to be back this year.

84. zorro says:

mmmm K, sounds like a good pick up.

85. sheds88 says:

i’ve always liked him. has a mean streak too him

86. CJ says:

All the recent injuries and press clippings actually worry me more. IMO, Tampa is like an animal backed into a corner. There is no relying on anyone else. They will be full value every game. I expect them to contest every inch of ice. Although I hope we win tonight, I also hope Tampa wins. I want to start on the road.

I’m not taking this series lighting and neither should our players. Cooper is an excellent coach and Tampa has a top end sniper and excellent goaltending. That’s a recipe for success. Montreal will need to have their act together.

87. HabsPooch says:

I’m not sure if we can take any team lightly for the playoffs. Every team has to be respected. Personally, I think goaltending is the only area we have an edge in. Everything else balances out. Tampa is a 100 point team entering the playoffs…nothing to sneeze at..

88. CJ says:

Agreed. They will be a tough opponent.