Lightning moves ahead of Habs in standings

The Tampa Bay Lightning moved into second place ahead of the Canadiens in the Atlantic Division with a 3-2 win over the visiting Columbus Jackets Friday night.

Kristers Gudlevskis, who made 55 saves for Latvia against Canada at the Sochi Olympics, stopped 36 shots in his NHL debut for the Lightning, who improved to 45-27-9 for 99 points. The Canadiens (45-28-8) have 98 points. The team that finishes second in the division will have home-ice advantage in the first-round playoff series between the Canadiens and Lightning.

The Canadiens play their final regular-season game Saturday night at the Bell Centre against the New York Rangers (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690), while the Lightning plays its final game Sunday afternoon in Washington.

Lars Eller, who is sick with the flu, didn’t practise with the Canadiens Friday in Brossard and isn’t expected to play Saturday against the Rangers. He has missed the last two games due to illness. The Canadiens called up Michael Blunden from the AHL’s Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday afternoon.

The Canadiens announced Friday morning that captain Brian Gionta is the 2013-14 winner of the Jacques Beauchamp-Molson Trophy, which is awarded annually to the member of the team who played a dominant role during the regular season without earning any particular honour. Brandon Prust was the winner last season.

“I was glad that he won that honour because he showed a lot of character and leadership again this year through the course of the season,” coach Michel Therrien said about Gionta.

“He’s the type of guy that’s never going to complain about his role. He’s going to do it with a lot of pride. He’s going to accept it for the benefit of the hockey team. And that, for me, it means a lot.”

Voting for the award was done my members of the media who cover the team and Gionta earned 66 points in the voting to finish ahead of Brendan Gallagher (64) and Tomas Plekanec (51). Gionta has 17 goals and 22 assists in 80 games this season and is even in plus/minus. He will be presented with the award before Saturday’s game.

The NHL announced on Friday that there won’t be any additional sanctions on Canadiens defenceman Douglas Murray, who received a major penalty and a game misconduct for checking Johan Sundstrom from behind during Thursday night’s 2-0 loss to the New York Islanders.

The Canadiens announced after Thursday’s game that Alex Galchenyuk will miss the first round of the playoffs with a lower-body injury and that defenceman Nathan Beaulieu has been returned to Hamilton.

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Gionta-Plekanec-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek
Bourque-Briere-Weise
Bournival-White-Parros

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Murray
Bouillon-Weaver

(Photo by John Mahoney/The Gazette)

Rookie goalie backstops Lightning to win, NHL.com

Canadiens should have edge on Lightning in playoffs, by The Gazette’s Pat Hickey

Gionta receives Jacques Beauchamp Trophy, by The Gazette’s Brenda Branswell

Little Davey now standing tall for Habs, by The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs

Rocket Richard immortalized in wax at Bell Centre, by Dave Stubbs

There was a time when Habs almost folded, by Gazette Sports Editor Stu Cowan

Rangers vs. Canadiens preview, NHL.com

McDonagh named Rangers’ MVP, newyorkrangers.com

Isles overpower Canadiens, by Pat Hickey

Canadiens’ home-ice edge in jeopardy, by Pat Hickey

Habs letting go of loss, Canadiens.com

Maple Leafs name Shanahan team president, NHL.com

1. on2ndthought says:

Therrien is not a moron: he is a ‘systems and character’ coach who can win with disciplined, talented players and a good goalie (like most coaches). The problem is if he meets a match-up coach, or a flexible inspirational coach; he is vulnerable. The match-up guy because he can exploit player weaknesses; the inspirational guy because those players will love playing the game. MT takes a lot of fun out of the game, especially for our younger guys (ask Lars, PK, Chuky, Tiny). I’m worried Cooper is one of those inspirational guys, but haven’t seen enough TB to be sure.

“a cannonading drive”

• Paz says:

Not sure about inspirational but Cooper is one hell of a coach. It was only a few years ago he was asked to take over behind the bench of his son’s high school team, having never coached professionally! From there he moved on to the USHL and won, then the AHL and won, and now this. All within the last ten years.

2. Hobie says:

We all want to see Tinordi play. We all know Bouillon is reaching the end of his career. Unfortunately, Tinordi has made a lot of brutal mistakes this year, more than Bouillon. Tinordi has single handedly cost the Canadiens games and quite a few goals as well.

Bouillon has actually been playing quite well in the absence of Gorges.

Do we want Tinordi learning and making mistakes in the playoffs at the cost of losing a series?

Bouillon and Murray both dug themselves in a hole earlier in the +/- department but have been on the plus or even side going back to January I believe.

Just throwing that out there…

Have a great day everybody, off to enjoy the fresh air!!!

• Timo says:

I disagree. Tinordi may have cost Habs one game – the one against Columbus. Bouillon has been just brutal most of the time. Tinordi can hit, actually skate, and drop the glove when required. Bouillon can parler francais – that’s his accomplishment. I am not saying TInordi doesn’t need work, but he needs to play in the NHL in order to get better. That make one mistake and you sit approach is not going to make him a better player.

• CJ says:

I can think of four goals that were the direct result of Tinordi’s error, dating back to the Phoenix game.

We can pin the Columbus loss on the kid, but that’s grossly unfair. We looked brutal all game. Granted, he made the error that led to the winning goal. IMO, it’s like the golfer who hacks around for 18 holes, but misses a three footer on the 18th green and blames his putter.

Maybe it’s not his time. I trust the management team. Maybe Frankie is simply better. That said, Frankie, Markov, Emelin, Murray and Subban have also committed a number of errors, equal to or greater than those committed by Tinordi.

To your point, no I don’t want any one player’s develop to come at the expense of the team. It’s team first. Tinordi or Beaulieu should have been playing all season. We aren’t strong enough to integrate young or inexperienced players the way the Bruins can. We are not a good enough team.

Hopefully Frankie can get it done. I don’t think he’s top seven on any other playoff team, but maybe it all works out. Go Habs!

• rhino514 says:

I no longer think the fretting about our fringe defenceman is appropriate, really, because we made a quantifiable improvement at one of the positions with Weaver, who has been one of our best defencemen since he was acquired.
      So I get it that having two of Tinordi, Murray, or Bouillon in the starting six is not great, but having one of them, and choosing who best fits playing against a particular team (they all bring different strengths and weaknesses) is ok. Murray for example, played great against the Bruins, even knocking chara down. Personally, against most other teams, I would do with Bouillon, because of his experience, or Tinordi, because of his physicality and decent mobility for his size, it´s a tough call, but I´m ok with either one.

• on2ndthought says:

For the playoffs on D:
      Gorges-PK
      Marky-Emelin
      Weaver-Beaulieu

Murray too ponderous (but can be dressed if “message” needs to be sent), Bouillon too all-round mediocre, Tinordi has bad timing (he makes all the plays, but seems to pinch when he should be gappin, gapping when he should be pinching, crashing along the boards when he should be clearing the front. It will come, but not now. Beaulieu is a consistent gambler, so the Dream Weaver and forwards know to keep their awareness up. We are going to miss Diaz now (but I like Weiss and would make that trade today, we are a solid NHL D -cue the anti-Diaz crowd- short heading into the playoffs.

“a cannonading drive”

• Paz says:

Beaulieu is down in Hamilton. He will only play if there are injuries. But I like his transition game.

• on2ndthought says:

Yeah, I know. Sorry this wasn’t a prediction; more a “If I were coach” comment. I like our D, just not the mix. Beaulieu is raw, but he is confidently aggressive.

“a cannonading drive”

3. Bob_Sacamano says:

Yeah sure, we have to trust Therrien because he has a good record. What a load of shit. Beaulieu or Tinordi should be on the third pair with Weaver. Bouillon is way past his best and Murray an ECHL player who still gets a sick amount of love because he has size and can hit. He can´t pass, he can´t skate, he often leaves his position for some useless physical battles and so on but that doesn´t seem to matter. No one misses him at San José/Pittsburgh and there´s no way this clown should be on a good team like Montreal.

Calling up Blunden is another joke. Why not give Andrighetto some reward for a decent rookie season in the AHL and play him ten minutes tonigt? It would be just for one game anyway.

Good morning. Therrien is a moron.

5. rhino514 says:

I just can´t come to grips with losing to a depleted islanders team, out of all people.
    It is truly perplexing to lose home ice in that situation.

6. HabFab says:

Reway heading to Europe to play for Slovak in the WC’s. From his post after being eliminated doesn’t sound like he expects to be back in Gatineau next season. Thanking everyone for a great two years especially his billet.

7. boonie says:

@CJ

PK should and, I believe will, get $8m plus. Of course, that’s easy to say when it’s not my money. It’s easy to pick on the Leafs and claim Dion is overpaid. The hyperbole of saying “another bad year” for PK would be “apocalyptic” doesn’t make your case stronger.

Ok, I get that you and many people think the Leafs overpaid Phaneuf. His current deal averages $6.5m. His extension kicks in next year and averages $7m (per CapGeek).

The reasonable RANGE for his salary would have been IMO $5m to $7m. I say range because certain teams would value him less and other teams value him more. At 27 he ranked in the top 10-15 d-men by points, had a decent +/- on a bad defensive team and was the Leafs captain – I’m not arguing that’s the right job for him. In any case, the Leafs valued him and continuity more than other teams. They paid him at the top end of the range. Not above it.

He’s far from the only comp. Doughty signed an 8-year deal averaging $7m in 2011-12. That was before he won the Cup. The cap in 2011 was $64.3m just as it is now (per wikipedia). They bought more RFA years than we would buy from PK. And, he hasn’t won a Norris.

We drafted PK. We helped develop him. He’s a media darling and a fan favorite. He’s continuity for us. He’s core to success over the next 3-8 years. In that context, how much is he worth? I’d suggest PK’s range is $6m to $9m. It would be nice if we get him for $8m. I could live with $9m – again, not my money. Less than $8m would be a miracle and he should fire his agent.

Your 10.30 post, “Imagine PK and Gorges, the top pair with a combined $12-$13 million cap hit?” is inconsistent with your postings that urge MB to get a real top pairing guy for PK. You’ve cited examples in St. Louis, Nashville, and other cities where top d-men play with another top D-man to maximize yield.

Gorges is a not a top d-man. Some might put it — PK+______ for #1/2; Markov+Yemelin for #3/4; Gorges + ______ for #5/6. If Josh drops down to 5-6, the mistake is Gorges @$4m, not PK @$8m.

It’s Bergy job to pay PK as little as possible while keeping him motivated. Then Bergy has to build a Cup-caliber team around his core within the cap.

Patches and DD are underpriced. Price is on the lower side of his value range. Gorges is on this higher-end. Plecs is near his mid-point. Prust a little north of his. They’re locked up.

Gallagher, Chuky, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Bornival are assets on entry level deals with RFA years left. That’s where you save money. Not signing guys like Briere at $4m, trying to move the Bourque’s at $3.3 and not overpaying Eller is the difference between success and also-ran status at this level.

• CJ says:

Thank you for sharing Boonie. Good post.

Take a minute and review Phaneuf’s career. He got paid the $6.5 million based on his performance in Calgary. It was earned and justified. Check out his last three years preceding this contract extension. He is roughly a .50 point per game player. His defence is below average. So, in summary, he’s not great defensively, he’s not great offensively, and his leadership skills leave something to be desired. For this, he gets rewarded with a top end range contract. Respectfully, I just don’t get it. What the Leafs needed to do was move Phaneuf and go through a proper build. Sure, as the cap rises going forward, the contract will become more digestible, but in the interim you have 10% or potentially more tied up in an average defenceman.

Yes, I believe we need a top 2 partner, capable of reducing the strain on PK. We can not have our cake and eat it too though. It’s why I’ve said all along we can not sign PK, Markov, Vanek, Gionta, Weaver and Murray to extensions. There simply is not room under the cap. We also need to decide on the futures of White, Weise and Eller.

IMO we erred when we chose not to commit to one of Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn for the full season. So, hothetically, if we committ top end salary to PK and Markov the savings will need to come in the form of entry level deals. As a result, we will most likely end up with both Tinordi and Beaulieu on the job next season. Again, I suggest Gorges, if only by default. Like you said, if Gorges is not on the first pairing, he likely drops to the 5/6. As you noted, $4 million for a 5/6 guy is simply too much. Ideally the team would have made a commitment to PK and invested in a partner, but they simply did not.

IMO, the Markov file was mismanaged. I don’t think I’d be shocked at all if the team decided to keep Markov and trade PK. It’s the exact opposite thing that I would do, so it’s on the table in other words.

At the end of the day, you, along with others are probably right. PK will turn it around in the playoffs and return to perennial Norris trophy form next season. He will probably be one of the top three defenceman for the next six years or more. He will earn every penny of a $9 million dollar deal. Although there is risk, it’s likely very small. He’s just in a small slump right now, but he can break free at any moment. I hope and wish for all these same things. I truly do. However, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned. Although this might be a stretch, I also thought Tyler Myers was a can’t miss.

Maybe it’s just me and not being able to break free of the business side of my life. In my profession you pay for performance, not hope. Just my two cents….CJ

8. Hobie says:

It appears Bouillon is in for the playoffs? I think? He has certainly looked better recently than he has at any other point of the season? I think? :-)

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I’m sure things will change quite quickly if the Habs lose game one. If the Habs make it out of round one I’d hope that Murray or Tinordi will have some games under their belt to play the Bruins.

9. CJ says:

In other news, not lineup, leafs, or cocaine related, the Habs have resigned Tokarski to a two year extension. Good move IMO. I’d let Mayer walk and promote Condon to the AHL. Than we have a legit five tier goaltending hierarchy. Price, Budaj, Tokarski, Condon and Fucale. Need to sign another free agent to play in wheeling. Rumours suggest that the team was actively scouting Shawinigan and liked their goalie.

10. jmac21 says:

Home ice?? Gone !!
    Maybe we should take the day off Mikey and head to Tampa early. All the rest and no practices worked out perfect !!! No Home Ice!!!
    God I home saves Mikey’s ass again !! Should have been fired in October

• JUST ME says:

From reading your comment`s history one would swear you were timo`s twin. At least you stick to your obsession . I guess somehow it`s a good thing ????

• CJ says:

Tinordi and Parros out tonight. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but we are going into the playoffs with Frankie. Well we are going to win or lose with him. If Therien has this much trust and confidence, and if the management team feel he is that much better than Beaulieu or Tinordi, than I guess I’ve got to follow along.

I just hope he’s not given a 2 year extension this off season.

• HabsPooch says:

Weaver will be the new Bouillon next season I think (right handed shot helps)…I’m not crazy about Bouillon over Tinordi and have always wanted Beaulieu playing as well since the start of the season. The only way this doesn’t hurt the Habs as much is if Bouillon doesn’t play crazy minutes he’s been given in the past. If he’s at 12-15 minutes tops that’s fine but I’m not sure Therien can contain himself not to give him bigger minutes.
        I think against the Lightning, we might be able to get away with it but definitely not against a savage opponent like the Bruins or Flyers. Tinordi would be a better fit.
        I guess we’ll trust Therien on this. So far he’s come unscathed but the playoffs are a whole different animal. It can make us forget the regular season success instantly.

RDS reporting that the Tampa Bay lightning’s Ryan Malone was busted last night for possession of cocaine, and driving under the influence.

12. Phil C says:

I am optimistic about the Habs this playoffs, but I also think this first round matchup against Tampa is as tough as any in the Eastern Conference. The Habs only have a losing record against two teams in the East, Tampa and Philly. The Habs have only managed 5 goals in 4 games, two of which were PP goals, so they must figure out a way to score against them.

Tampa had trouble against the Bruins, losing all four games while the Bruins managed 14 goals. Ottawa also had success scoring on Tampa with 17 goals in 5 games. So maybe the Habs need to look at some tape and see how the Bruins and Sens got to Tampa. The Bruins are good at getting traffic to the net, so that might be one key to success.

13. Butterface says:

Unlikely he will make the big team here, if he doesn’t catch on here I hope he catches on elsewhere…. he will be an UFA July 1st.

***********************
    If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
    ***********************

• CJ says:

Blunden brings everything he has. I hope he gets the captaincy in Hamilton and the money that accompanies a player of his experience. I don’t know that we could ever expect him to be anything more than an injury replacement. Still, that’s a career, and something to be very proud of.

• JUST ME says:

He will not put his team in trouble ,i`ll give him that but he will not make the difference either. He had more than his fair number of chances and remains a carreer AHLer as we find hundreds of others.

14. habsfan0 says:

I’m beginning to think that Galchenyuk,rightly or wrongly,might have the label of “injury prone” thrust upon him.
    He had that major injury in his last year of junior,had a broken hand earlier this year,and is now out with an apparent knee injury.

15. habsfan0 says:

So, if Habs win tonight and Tampa loses in OT tomorrow,they both finish with 100 points.
    Who gets higher seeding?

16. HabFab says:

Prust back practicing with the team this morning.

17. likehoy says:

any update on the extent on Hedman’s injury?

Bishop might be out up to 3 weeks, and Malone is a cokehead, prob will be suspended from the team and entered into substance abuse like Fleury did

• piter says:

We don’t know if Malone is a “cokehead”. The DUI didn’t say if it was for alcohol, or for being under the influence of a drug. Maybe he’s just a dealer. Doesn’t the NHL have random drug tests? I find it more likely he would deal, than to take the chance on losing everything on a pee test.

18. frontenac1 says:

@CJ. Rick James.”Cocaine is a hell of a drug”

19. 24AW says:

The team has to do it up front against the Rangers, The Goalies is about even, this will be a real playoff test. Prediction: Habs win or lose by one.

20. AliHaba says:

I need an explanation from someone on the play-off seedings. As I look at the standings today Detroit has 91 points with 38 wins while Washington has 89 points with 38 wins also. If Detroit loses their remaining game and Washington wins that would leave them tied in points and Washington having one more win. Wouldn’t that put Washington in and Detroit out? I thought wins was the #1 tie-breaker. Sorry for being so long-winded.

21. CJ says:

Good morning folks.

I recognize that this is a Canadiens site, but I can’t help but comment on the goings on in Toronto and Ottawa.

So, the battle of Ontario culminates in the regular season finale this evening. One can only imagine how difficult it must have been for CBC to relegate this game to the provincial audience only, while Montreal NY goes national.

Firstly, the Leafs. I love (insert sarcasm) the slight of hand and smoke screen tricks that the organization is administering now. Bringing in Shanny should not deflect attention from the fact that once again the team was a mess. Aside from a brief playoff appearance in a strike shortened 48 game season, this franchise would be testing the futility depths generally reserved for expansion franchises. They constantly chase the quick fix and survive only on the backs of eternal optimists (naïveté), within a fan base who accept $750 seats, and overpriced merchandise, but fail to be rewarded with actual results. The contracts for Phaneuf, Clarkson, Gleason and Kessel (potentially soon to be Bolland) are like shackles going forward. No team in the league would benefit more from a salary cap raise, north of $80 million.

From the high priced team in Toronto, we travel east bound and down to Ottawa, the proverbial poppers. A perfect contrast to the optimism that resides in Toronto, Ottawa has no expectations whatsoever. None. I generally have a hand on the pulse of the fans in this city and, amazingly, I haven’t spoken with a single person who is disappointed. So long as Ottawa finishes ahead of Toronto, all is well. I’m not sure their sights could be set any lower. In his eighth year as GM, Murray has managed a single playoff series victory, yet is rewarded with a four year extension. Melynk promised the fan base the world, indicating that he was lifting the internal salary cap restriction and giving Murray full authority to make the team better now. This resulted in a trade for Hemsky, in which Ottawa negotiated to have the Oilers retain a part of Hemsky’s salary.

While driving to work Thursday morning, I actually heard the guys on TSN1200 (the signal for 690 is gone) say that Ottawa should only be 2-3 years away. Who has that patience? An 11 year rebuild? No wonder they get 12,000 fans some nights, despite the third cheapest tickets in the league. If not for visiting team fans, this franchise would have either folded or relocated.

I guess this is a long way of saying how lucky we are in Montreal. Yes, there are many personnel decisions I don’t agree with. But, at the end of the day, it’s a result driven business. Thus far, under Bergevin, we have enjoyed regular season success. The next step will be the playoff success. I’m fulling expecting that to materialize this spring. Anything short of a first round series win will be a disappointment. It’s going to take a full effort, and the Bolts won’t go quietly, but this is a winnable series.

Just some random thoughts from a guy deep inside enemy territory. Cheers, CJ

• JF says:

Good post, but I think the Leafs are actually not that far from being a playoff team. They’ve solidified their goaltending, their top-6 are very good, and both Gardiner and Reilly have a lot of promise. I’m not sure they have enough leadership (Phaneuf would be a decent player if he were not given so much responsibility, but he doesn’t seem to be a leader); but their main problem, as you indicate, is that they tried the quick fix with expensive free-agent signings; this uses up too much of their cap to be able to fill significant holes in their roster. Pretty much the same thing happened to the Habs with Gainey’s free agent binge in the summer of 2009.

As for the Sens, they appear at the moment to have made a monumental blunder in trading Bishop. I thought last year they should have traded Anderson, who seemed unlikely, based on his history, to be able to sustain anything like the degree of excellence he attained last year.

• CJ says:

I agree with Gardiner and Riley. Along with Matt Finn, their 22 and under crowd is better than their 23 and over defence. That’s fairly telling though.

Surely Clarkson will be better next season. His whole year was derailed with the 10 game suspension. I think Emelin has fallen into the same rut. It’s so hard to play catch up in a league rife with parity. Only the very best – Stamkos, Crosby, etc. seem to be able to pick up where they left off.

Regarding the goaltending, I’d be surprised if Reimer is not moved this off season. Bernier, when healthy, was very good. In Toronto either it was the system that didn’t work, or it was the players who didn’t buy into it. Third factor could have been that the players did not fit the system. That falls on Nonnis and Carlye.

With respect to Ottawa, they have all the talent. Again, there is no structure whatsoever. They basically play an advanced version of pond hockey. It works if your goaltending is lights out, but in the modern nhl you can’t be satisfied trading chances at both ends of the ice and hope to win more than you lose. Unless you are the 80′s Oilers, this just doesn’t work. IMO, they will never win with Karlsson and Spezza together. You need to be able to defend. These guys only engage offensively.

Finally, with respect to the Sens, they need to spend some money. If you can possibly imagine, all this penny pinching is the result of Melnyk having watched a Tampa bay rays game. He said that he realized it’s not the money that matters, and often cites the rays as the example. The guy is a lunatic. I think they will miss Tim Murray more than anyone can imagine. If they lose Luke Richardson in Bingo, they are in big trouble.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Agree, but their back end is brutal, and they better be careful not to burn the young fella Reilly. The youngster is a great O force, but was totally and completely lost in his own end.

Imagine, $11M Cap dollars being spent on Phaneuf and Gleason for the next 2 years.
        Phaneuf cannot pivot or go east-west, and Gleason is a 3rd pair at best on any team that is serious.

• CJ says:

Both the Phaneuf and Gleason contracts are terrible. Not to go sideways, but this is the reason I’m suggesting that Bergevin needs to manage the PK file so carefully. If he gets $8-$9 million than has another bad year, it will be apocalyptic.

Imagine PK and Gorges, the top pair with a combined $12-$13 million cap hit?

• HabsPooch says:

Where has it been brought up that PK is worth or asking for that much money? If it’s fans then I don’t listen but if it’s coming from top journalists then I am concerned.
            I would match Pk’s contract with Price’s… or go seven million tops. If PK really wants to stay then the ball is in his court. No bluffing here either…
            He’s shown to be a great offensive player at times but his inconsistency this year as well as his defensive lapses have hurt his bargaining power imo.

• CJ says:

I don’t know that anyone (at least those outside PK’s camp) know just what he’s asking for. I’ve seen the $8-$9 million batted around by many folks on this forum, each much more knowledgeable than myself. I have suggested $6.5 million, but am told that was insulting. Regarding the media types, I’ve heard Bob McKenzie throw out $8 million + on tsn 690, but that’s going back a number of months.

• HabsPooch says:

That would be crazy money to throw away…and we have Markov to worry about as well not to mention Vanek. Bergevin has to stay firm just like he did with PK’s current contract.

• CJ says:

I think everything hinges on PK and Vanek. If they lose Vanek, which I expect they will, would you consider moving PK in a package for either Kane and Trouba (jets), or Hall and the pick (Ekbland)?

Hypothetically speaking only….

• RonC says:

HabsPooch…. Agree 6.5 to 7

Winnipeg Habsfan

• HabsPooch says:

This a Habs site, meaning we can bash any other team -especially the leafs, Sens and Bruins as much as we want.
      You are correct in that it seems this new leafs hire has acted as a huge diversion from the real story for this franchise and that is the 18 wheeler off the cliff part 3.
      I am not sure what Shanahan brings to the table and why this hire was necessary. What does this tell Nonis.? It doesn’t really give him a vote of confidence. I’m not sure if this is Leiweike grasping at straws or what but I’m not sure shanahan brings anything more to the table than the rest of the management.
      Bottom line is the leafs gambled on Clarkson -even hyping him up to be the team’s Wendel Clark- and have over spent on Phaneuf and have Kessel and Gleasons contracts to contend with not to mention figuring out what to do with Bolland. It makes me happy.

• CJ says:

I don’t know that Shanny brings anything to the table. It’s a diversion. I remember getting a pair of Reebok pumps as a kid. Same thing. It’s the placebo effect.

• Maritime Ronn says:

CJ

Not really buying into Melnyk’s opening up the walet.

Ottawa was #26 in Cap spending this year.

As of this moment for next year, they have 18 players signed and about $20M to Cap ceiling with 2 UFAs to deal with in Michalek and Kassian and finding a back up goalie..that is if they want to stay

• CJ says:

Sorry Ronn, my post is kinda messy. Melynk is a major spendthrift. I wasn’t suggesting that he was going to open his wallet. I’m suggesting that he promised he would, perhaps only long enough to let the moths fly out. He then promptly shut it and threw away the key.

• JUST ME says:

Very good comment CJ . You actually feel the same weird way about that Taranna move as i do. I would not be surprized if that was it and if they thought that this would do the trick .This is the MLSE way . This team needs a complete culture overhaul wich is far from being easy to do. To admit that all those years you were wrong with that truculence BS is probably not even considerable as they would have to admit that they do not know everything…I fail to see how the picture could not be clearer in that city. You have no great legend from the 50 last seasons so turn the page on the past and move on. Isn`t it ironic to think that Harold Ballard actually did better than all those who followed him ? But they just do not see or do not want to see the real big picture as long as $$$ keeps coming in !

I think that Ottawa is due for a second floor clean up. Melnick has torn out the heart and soul of that team and Murray should follow to really give a chance for new ideas ,new ways to be brought in.

22. Psycho29 says:

Good Morning all,
    Did I hear correctly? There was snow in Tampa?

• Mr.Habs71sv says:

Hab fans are just as bad as laff fans. We will gripe and complain but will continue to pay money for cr@p hockey and sell out every home game. Golf course in four games folks. I am setting my sights low with a 100 points and a win to close the season. It will be the same old excuses for the past 21 years minus maybe 2010′s run. We need a fired up coach not someone in a border line coma. I cringed when they announced a second tour of duty for M.T. Habs don’t seem to care why the h should we the fans care. Molson gets the last laugh. Good day to you all.

Till next time….

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Yes there was! and the plows all scooped it into Ryan Malone’s back pocket.

• Butterface says:

Yep…. apparently is was a driven snow.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• Butterface says:

Yep…. apparently is was a driven snow.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

• Butterface says:

Blunden isn’t the answer for sure, but this guy has played a long time on our farm and comes up on occasion to provide some size. He is a hard worker and needs us to be behind him, not knocking him. If he doesn’t catch on here I hope he catches on elsewhere…. he will be an UFA July 1st.

***********************
      If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it…..
      ***********************

23. Mavid says:

Well the Sens fan’s Stanley cup it tonight..they could potentially finish ahead of the Leafs..they will be dancing in the streets

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

A trip down memory lane.

BTW, here’s a trivia question. Back in the 60′s, the Leafs won three Cups. The two defense pairings were always the same – Baun/Brewer and Horton/Stanley. Each year the 5th defenseman (teams only used 5 Dmen in those days) was a different player. Without Googling, who were those three players?

25. HabFab says:

So have we made the play-offs yet?
    Or have we already been eliminated?
    So many questions…

26. Stanley Cup or Bust ! says:

When you hit that high note, say goodnight and walk off.
    GoHabsGo

Peter DeBoer to become the next coach for Toronto?

28. habs001 says:

Habs are still a team that has problems scoring goals..Vanek has helped but more offensive upgrades are needed..Would not be a suprise if most of the games with Tampa end up as 1-0,2-1 or 3-2 and many in o/t…..Based on the individual talent on the roster the Habs point total is higher than it should be…..

29. Hobie says:

Amanda Stein ‏@amandacstein 5m

Wow. Lightning’s Ryan Malone arrested on DUI and cocaine charges. #TSN690 http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/ryan-malone-arrested-on-dui-cocaine-charges/2174834

30. Hobie says:

Good morning people.

Brandon Prust, any word on him? Are we expecting him to be ready for game one, round one or is he done?

Travis Moen. I have the feeling he’s finished for the year.

Lol, just as I finished typing that last sentence I heard on the radio that Prust is expected to be ready for the game one and Moen was skating yesterday and is missing tonight’s game with the flu.

I’m concerned about their health because I really hope we can get that Moen-Prust-Weise line together for the playoffs. If healthy, it could be one heck of a 4th line.

***Ryan Malone arrested for DUI and cocaine possession***

31. Paz says:

This team has spent the last several years, since Kovalev, trying to build a line for Plekanec.

Bournival got at least 4 or 5 primary assists on Plekanec goals in the first two weeks of the season, and Pkekanec had a point a game at that time.

Bournival has great speed, great tenacity, and he works well with Plekanec.

Just put Bournival on the left side and keep Gionta on the 3rd line where he was playing so well.

Puzzling to say the least

• Mr_MacDougall says:

One impressive thing about Bournival is his breakout under pressure. He usually chips the puck up the boards and gets it out of the Habs zone or make a short pass leading to a zone clear… That’s what I like to look for in a young player..

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

32. habsfan0 says:

I am in playoff ready mode and looking for a win tonight and Max’s 40th goal of the season.

33. boing007 says:

Bobby Dollas for Habs Coach. Do it MB!

Richard R

34. shiram says:

Ryan Malone arrested for DUI and possession of cocaine.

35. Mavid says:

Well well..big meeting at work yesterday..and then this..my work life is about to get very interesting..

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

36. boing007 says:

Kristers Gudlevskis of the Bolts. KGB for short.

Richard R

37. Maritime Ronn says:

Good morning

In the Eastern Conference, only 1 playoff matchup has been decided with the Habs-Lightning.

While most of the talk for the Bruins is either a Detroit/Columbus series, there still exists another possibility for Boston…that being Philadelphia.

It may be somewhat remote, yet the combos are there for that to happen.
    - If both Detroit and Columbus win their last games and Philly only gets 1 point in their last 2 games, we’ll have a Boston Philly series.
    - If both Detroit and Columbus only get 1 point in their last game and Philly loses both games in regulation, that scenario would again have Boston and Philly playing.
    Philly could also end up playing Pittsburgh…

• JohnInTruro says:

Ron, Philly is the team that scares me.

• Lafleurguy says:

Ditto. Seven 20 goal-scorers and other strong elements.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hey John

They may be better than their overall record says they are.
        They started the season 4-10-1…fired the coach, then finished 37-20-8.
        That’s 81 points in their last 65 games.
        That pace over 82 games = 102 points.

Looks like they also found a goalie that can stop a beachball in Steve Mason.
        They are also as healthy as can be….

• 24 Cups says:

We could also say the same about the Rangers. Let’s not forget the extended road trip they had at the beginning of the year.

Philadelphia plays Pittsburgh and Carolina this weekend.

Columbus gets a slam dunk against Florida while Detroit plays St Louis who have lost their last four games in a row.

• Maritime Ronn says:

hey cups

No slam dunk games in the NHL.
            Those non-playoff teams are always scary to play against

By the way, that Blues loss last night was actually their 5th regulation loss in a row.

38. Habfan10912 says:

Good morning friends. What the heck am I doing up so early? Well this old MSN thought he had turned on the fan in his room but he actually turned up the head. Wife is not happy. :)

Chrisadiens is spending his last moments as a free man and as the pressure mounts I must admit his performance is faltering. Last night at rehearsal I called him a Ottawa Senator.

Its wonderful to share this day with L Elle and Bripro along with family and other friends. I wish there was away to share the day with all the great people I’ve met on HIO through the years.

OK, windows open and I can breath again.

CHeers all.

• Maritime Ronn says:

Hi Jim

Here’s wishing you, family and friends a wonderful day and event.
      I think we need more info about the “Faltering” that lead to accusations of being an Ottawa Sen.
      You can’t keep the HIO planet in the dark….
      :-)

• Kooch7800 says:

That is great Jim!

All the best today to the proud Papa at your sons wedding! Wish Chrisadiens all the best from me. I will have to grab you guys a few rounds when we see you next.

Enjoy the day!

• CJ says:

Good morning Jim!

Wishing you the very best today. I can only begin to imagine the pride and delight you must be feeling. Enjoy every moment.

Sincerely, CJ

• JohnBellyful says:

Mornin’, Jim.
      Hmmmm, what you wrote reminds me of that old saying, wake up a hothead, go to bed a lamb.
      Great day ahead for you and Chris. Oh yeah, the bride, too, of course.
      Congrats to both.
      (That was a low blow calling your son a Senator. What he’d do, elbow to the head of the best man? Slew foot the minister?)

• Lafleurguy says:

Morning toast to a fine clan (even if they’re Mets fans).

• Cal says:

All the best to you and your family on this exceptional day.
      Never insult a Habs fan by calling him a Senator. A Leaf, sure, but never a Senator.
      Drink it all in, Jim!

39. Clay says:

Anyone else think that the Blues might have made a mistake in their goaltending moves? Lost 5 in a row now, and looking bad.
    On another note, I really hope the Wings stay in that last wild card slot. i see them giving the Bruins fits, especially if their big guns are healthy.
    As for the Habs, I think I actually prefer if they start on the road. Less pressure will hopefully make for looser play.

__________________________
    ☞ “The deepest sin of the human mind is to believe things without evidence” ~ Aldous Huxley ☜

40. Sportfan says:

I’m torn I want the Habs to have home ice, but my Uncle said he could get me tickets for the playoffs and my buddy who would go with me is on a cruise next week so if we didn’t have home ice advantage he could go lol

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

41. Habcouver says:

Pricey is the only Olympic Canadian goalie in the playoffs.
    Just sayin’… :p

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

42. kempie says:

“Isles overpower Canadiens, by Pat Hickey”

I’ve read that exact headline way way too many times.

Wow, my man Phil did not make the cut. Pathetic. He needs Michael Therrien’s Personal Development Program before long. That will get him back on track.

I say Habs don’t have the right bodies to be a grinding team. They are too fragile for that. All that shot blocking and “griding” (whatever the f that means anwyay) only keeps Habs therapists and doctors busy, nothing else.

Therrien is a moron.

45. ProHabs says:

You know our depth is starting to vanish when we have Michael Blunden back up on the team.

How the heck did Jamie Benn last until the 5th round before getting drafted.

What ever happened to Theo Peckham.

46. JohnBellyful says:

The NHL got hit with another lawsuit this week. It alleges the league “intentionally created, fostered and promoted a culture of extreme violence” in order to generate billions of dollars.
    Nine former players claim in their lawsuit that the league “subjected and continues to subject its players to the imminent risk of head trauma and, as a result, devastating and long-term negative health consequences.”
    Deputy commissioner Bill Daly says the suit isn’t much different from one filed last November.
    “In short, we are completely satisfied with our record on player safety, including as it relates to head injuries and brain trauma,” he said in a statement. “We do not believe the new complaint provides any valid basis for liability or damages as against the National Hockey League, and we intend to defend the case and others that may follow it vigorously.”
    As vigorously as their campaign to stamp out violence in the NHL? If that’s the case, I don’t like their chances in court.
    And other lawsuits that may follow? Is there line forming somewhere we should know about? Is a memo making the rounds warning owners to batten down the hatches for the legal tsunami headed their way?
    Even though the plaintiffs with the latest lawsuit include ex-goon Mike Peluso (179 fights in a nine-year career), I’m hoping they and all the others who go after the league win their cases. The resulting trauma to the owners’ wallets could have long-term positive consequences for the future health of the game.
    (And what are we to make of Shanahan bolting for a job with the Leafs? Coincidence, nothing more, right?)

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Many thanks for posting this, JB.

It has long been the case that there is only a single, solitary factor with the power to change the NHL’s barbaric culture and that is loss of revenue. When we argue about it here — about dirty hits, what’s fair, what’s not, what Shanahan/Campbell/Head Office should or shouldn’t do — we remain deluded about the league having any interest whatsoever in fairness or player safety or responsibility. Profit is the one and only guiding principle.

I don’t believe this case on its own will change much, but if eventually there are multiple cases, change might come.

Such a neat articulation of the basic issue: “intentionally created, fostered and promoted a culture of extreme violence”. That the NHL are stewards of this great sport is nothing short of an obscenity. Some day, I hope they go down.

• Lafleurguy says:

Hiya Dun. Got the Pooh, about to read. Looked in your wallet; the recent past controversy for children’s soccer in Quebec was the banning of boys wearing a Patka (boy’s Sikh turban) because of putative injury risk. The prohibition of wearing Muslim hijabs and other religious headwear (yamikas) was a statute applicable to Quebec provincial civils servants. Apologies for inflicting Quebec-Canadian news on an Irish gent.

• Just a Habs Fan says:

John…you may see that brand of hockey soon…no checking..no fighting….hell maybe no lifting the puck….the players will still make multi millions a year…ticket prices will go sky high for expected or possible accidents that players in the future can sue for….enjoy it man.

• JohnBellyful says:

Ah, the old slippery slope argument. Change is needed but we daren’t try because the worst of our fears will be realized, that it will lead to extreme measures never intended at the outset.
        The league is already going down a slippery slope of its own making by not doing more to banish thuggery. Actually, it’s the players themselves who have it in their power to do what needs to be done: Police themselves by playing with a conscience and refraining from inflicting deliberate injury. One step would be to learn to deliver and receive clean body checks, without retaliation.

47. Chris says:

Ah…after murdering my students on what was a fairly easy exam (my opinion of Ontario’s high school system continues to plummet), I can at least take solace in Guelph finishing the London Knights off in Game 5 tonight, winning 5-4.

I honestly didn’t see Erie sweeping the Soo, and certainly didn’t see the Knights going out in 5. Now the Knights get the long, long break before hosting the Memorial Cup, and the Western Conference final should be a very good series as the two top OHL teams for most of the season duke it out for a spot in the finals.

• Black Horse says:

Yes, Ontario’s high school system does suck!

• Mr_MacDougall says:

It’s all diet related. Unless a growing brain is fed with a diet of 60% + raw plant food there is a decreased level of concentration. My Ability to problem solve concentration over long periods has increased with an improved diet.

~~ Plekanec at the Disco ~~

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I feel you, Chris!
      Quickly skimming through the tests and essays I’ll be correcting over Easter, I would wager that the issues are pretty universal and not confined to Ontario!
      Kids can’t and don’t read. Parents let them keep an XBox/Playstation in their bedrooms. End of story. Undermines their entire education, teachers playing catch-up baseball throughout the cycle.
      Very glad you find solace in the OHL!
      Cheers

• twilighthours says:

I’m less concerned with Ontario’s high school system and more concerned with Ontario’s high school parents.

• Chris says:

The parents are certainly a major issue, but our math curriculum right now is completely in shambles.

Too much emphasis on calculator math, too much emphasis on calculus before they can handle it (and this one is the universities’ fault) and too little emphasis on algebra is a perfect storm for the disasters that we’re seeing.

The good news is that the Ministry of Education is finally listening to the complaints coming from all corners (nobody likes the current way that math is being taught) and are going to take a look at what’s going wrong. The bad news is that this should signal the fourth change to the high school math curriculum since the Grade 13 year was eliminated back in 2004. My faith that they will get it right on this fourth attempt in just over 10 years is not exactly overflowing…

Right now, Sylvan Learning and Kumon are simply making a killing off of Ontario parents when it comes to math preparation. I can see a very strong correlation in university: the students who are getting the extra math training are far out-performing those that aren’t, on the average. Anytime we set up a two-tier education system where those with money can get a significant advantage, things needs to change.

48. Habcouver says:

The Devils have not won OT or Shootout this season? Incredible!

We Are (Not) All Canucks.
    Proudly Canadian but passionately Canadien!

49. Donkey Hoat says:

Fourth star, eh?
    That’s an easy one: Tomas Plekanec, the unsung hero of unsung heroes.
    I’m not sure if he has ever won the JB trophy, but he deserves a star in every game he plays, regardless of whether or not he scores.

p.s. – my name is not Tomas Plekanec.