Gionta will be in lineup against Jets; Brière demoted to fourth line

Captain Brian Gionta will be back in the lineup when the Canadiens face the Jets Tuesday night in Winnipeg (8 p.m., TSN-HABS, RDS, TSN Radio 690) while Daniel Brière will be demoted to the fourth line with Michael Bournival at centre and Travis Moen.

Ryan White will be the odd man out with Gionta returning to the lineup.

Gionta, who left the team last week for a family reasons and missed Saturday’s game in Vancouver, will play on a line with Lars Eller and Max Pacioretty. Gionta said his young son, who had been ill, is doing much better. The team gave the captain the option of staying home, but Therrien said Gionta wanted to play and he flew out of Montreal on Sunday and practised with the team Monday in Winnipeg.

“It puts things in perspective,” Gionta, who will play his 700th career game Tuesday, told reporters in Winnipeg. “It’s family first. But it will be good to get back on the ice.”

P.K. Subban will continue to play with Andrei Markov on the No. 1 defence pair and Carey Price will start in goal against the Jets.

In his first five games with the Canadiens after signing a two-year, $8-million free-agent contract during the offseason, Brière has one assist and 11 shots on goal and is even in the plus/minus stats.

“We reflected on it for a long time before we made this decision,” coach Michel Therrien told reporters about the decision to demote Brière. “The reason is purely because of a lack of production. I’m convinced Daniel understands the move. But I believe strongly in using all four lines. That’s how we’ll start tomorrow, but things can change quickly, even in the middle of the game. It all depends on how guys are performing.”

Said Brière: “It’s not the end of the world. The team is doing well and that’s what matters. For sure, personally, it’s not the best. I’d like to be producing more than I have. But I’ve always been the type of guy who gets going a bit later offensively. I’m looking forward to that happening, but there’s no drama here. I’m not worried about it.”

Here’s how the lines and defence pairings looked at practice:

Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
Prust-Desharnais-Bourque
Moen-Bournival-White/Brière

Gorges-Diaz
Markov-Subban
Bouillon-Tinordi/Beaulieu

Habs vs. Jets preview, NHL.com

It’s up to me to produce, Brière says, by Pat Hickey

Brière speaks to media after practice, Canadiens.com

Rewarding, bizarre win for Habs in Vancouver, by Dave Stubbs

(Photo by Ryan Remiorz/The Canadian Press)

1. Chris says:

Edmonton’s Defence Prospects (Hockey’s Future rank included, for what it is worth):

Olaf Klefbom (20 years old, 6’3″, 213 lbs.) – 8.0 C
    Darnell Nurse (18, 6’3″, 192 lbs.) – 8.0 C
    Martin Marincin (21, 6’4″, 188 lbs.) – 7.5 C
    David Musil (20, 6’3″, 190 lbs.) – 7.5 C
    Martin Gernat (20, 6’3″, 197 lbs.) – 7.5 D

Why would the Oilers want either of:

Nathan Beaulieu (20, 6’2″, 194 lbs.) – 8.0 C
    Jarred Tinordi (21, 6’6″, 227 lbs.) – 7.5 C

They have tons of players just like Beaulieu and Tinordi. They want NHL veterans, and preferably guys who can play top-4 minutes. Neither Beaulieu or Tinordi make the Oilers better this season.

Montreal and Edmonton are not good trade partners.

• twilighthours says:

Chris, what the sh!t? I said all of that, but in less words. Less words mean more time for drinking. Get on it, man. You’re scandinavian, get out the horn and drink some mead or something.

• Chris says:

Sadly, I don’t drink at all. Never have.

I just lost about one million Viking points.

• Mattyleg says:

…but probably saved about one million post-Viking Euros…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

I’m going to try to be sober for one post here (hard to do)…

Are you really going to,live your life without savouring the delicious taste of beer or wine?

Say it ain’t so

• Chris says:

Way too much alcoholism on my mom’s side of the family. In a family of 5 kids and her parents, she was the only the one that escaped that scourge, solely because she never drank either. Partnered with my addictive personality, I’m just not willing to roll the dice on it.

And like Matty said, the financial savings more than make up for the loss. My income is way too low to spend any of it on drinking.

• Bill says:

I don’t put anything into those Hockey’s Future ratings. They give almost everyone a 7 or 8 and then cloud it with that “C” just to cover their tracks.

Really, as far as Hockey’s Future seems to be concerned, all prospects are identical!

That said, I also believe the Oilers have some very nice D prospects, especially Klefbom and Nurse. They aren’t looking for D prospects, you are correct, but probably an established D and a goalie.

I’m sure they would give us something nice for Subban and Price, but it would hardly be worth it.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• Chris says:

You actually don’t see that many 8.0 or above.

Montreal has Galchenyuk (8.5 B), Beaulieu (8.0 C), Collberg (8.0 D), and Fucale (8.0 D). Fucale and Galchenyuk were the best at their position in their draft year, and Beaulieu was in the running for the best defenceman. Collberg is extraordinarily skilled, but his size could make him a long-shot for the NHL.

I usually agree with their number ranking…it is the guess at what the guy’s ceiling is if he realizes his potential. For most NHL players, that is going to be somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5 (third line forward to second line forward, third pairing defenceman to second pairing defenceman). That is pretty much the ceiling for the vast majority of players.

The letter grades are often a bit wonky, but it is a qualitative assessment.

2. twilighthours says:

Normand, WTF? I never watch football. So I was completely unaware that the Chargers switched to that uh-gly blue. When did that happen?

3. JF says:

That Oilers team is not one iota better than it was four or five years ago, despite a succession of high draft picks. In fact, the Oilers seem to be a model of how not to build a team – tank for several years in a row, draft a bunch of talented forwards, mostly wingers and mostly snipers while ignoring defence and goaltending, give your kids multi-year, multimillion dollar contracts as soon as their entry-level contracts expire. They’re headed for another basement finish. They seem a total mess, and I don’t know what it would take to turn them into a good team. But I’m wondering why they didn’t at least sign José Theodore, who is still a free agent and who would be better than either Dubnyk or LaBarbera.

• Danno says:

Tanking isn’t everything it’s cracked up to be

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Phil C says:

Or Bryzgalov. Granted, he may be damaged goods based on how he took a flame thrower to his career when he left Philly last year, but I think its now obvious that the problem in Philly was more than goaltending.

• Sportfan says:

I’ve been wondering for a long time why not go for some kind of veteran goalie who had more career starts in his career and had experience than their goal tending tandem. Its confusing on how they have built this team and honestly drafting Yak over a dman is looking like a big mistake right now.

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Chris says:

The Oilers have drafted a lot of defencemen. Unfortunately, they take longer to develop. I thought one of Klefbom or Musil would be given a look to start the season, but they should certainly be up by the end of this season.

Pittsburgh got lucky in that Malkin and Crosby ended up being available during their tank years. Hall, the best of the Oilers, is not even close to the level of either of those guys. The Blackhawks took longer to get there, and they drafted their defencemen before their star forwards, so everybody arrived around the same time.

The Oilers will be fine. They still need a goalie, but the defencemen should start rolling in soon.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Chris, I only saw David Musil play once when he was a Giant, and he spent the entire game cross-checking and facewashing Patrick Holland. He didn’t do anything else of note. I took an immediate dislike to him.

• habsgod says:

eberle is the best of all the oilers…..yes even halland it’s not even close hall is over hyped eberle is clutch and a winner ,a guy you can win with not so sure about hall.

4. twilighthours says:

I just opened a second bottle.

Delicious.

5. Marc10 says:

If we’re going to be serious about the Yak trade scenarios (and why not eh… it’s a slow news day), we have to look at a couple of things:

1) Player pedigree: He is a first rounder with elite offensive skills

So you’re going to have give up someone of that stature. We’re talking elite skills and can slot into an NHL lineup.

2) Positional need: Edmonton needs defense and a goalie bad.

We don’t have a goalie to trade that could make a difference for them without creating a crater for ourselves (no matter what the haters say…)

As for D, you’d need to give them a difference maker. Beaulieu isn’t there yet and he’s also damaged goods. You’d probably need to throw in an established NHL player that is good bang for the buck.

Think Brandon Gallagher. (That’s what I’d ask for anyway as I know the Habs would not give me Eller.)

No way we do Beaulieu-Gallagher, right? Or even Gallagher straight up, right? (And the latter scenario solves little for the Oil.)

Other teams are pretty deep on D. Boston for one, but Yak is not their type.

Toronto has Gardiner (but he’s got defensive issues) and they have a few other Ds. They also have a spare goalie, but Yak doesn’t sound like a Carlyle man.

Ottawa has a goalie. They also seem to manufacture large, dependable Ds… Maybe…

The Rangers have Ds. They also like flashy Euro players. Maybe they ship Stepan and someone on the backend for a package back?

Pittsburgh is supposedly pretty loaded on the farm, but don’t really need another sniper.

St Louis won’t be interested. Their team is solid. I doubt LA would be too.

The Canucks probably won’t deal with a major rival, but they might be interested to get some help for the Twins.

Florida has tons of interesting Ds. They also have some powerhouse forwards in the making. They could do it.

When you look around the NHL, we’re probably not the ideal dance partner and the price of admission could be too steep.

Food for thought. I always like those types of trade scenarios.

• twilighthours says:

If I were MacT, it would be Yak and a 2nd for Subban.

And if I were Bergevin, I would laugh and laugh and laugh. And then have a glass of wine.

Montreal isn’t a good fit for this trade, I don’t think

• Phil C says:

If Nashville got Filip Forsberg for Martin freakin’ Erat and Michael nada Latta, anything is possible. Seriously, that had to be the worst trade last year.

• on2ndthought says:

yep, the Ottawa scenario sounds a lot more likely. Lehner and Ceci just might do it with a pick or spare player one way or another

“a cannonading drive”

6. on2ndthought says:

Just to show that you can have experience and not learn from it, I will weigh in on the language thing. First, I think Charlie Hodge (or was it Chris? sorry, I read it but couldn’t find it)(EDIT: it was Phil C) said the Habs are not the only team to try and attract home grown talent (Min and TO, and Ottawa).

Second: sport is beauty and Habs fans love beauty. One of the biggest ovations at the Forum was for some Russian guy named Tretiak who stood on his head one New Years Eve in one of the all time great games. Language was no issue. I’ve seen them go crazy for Guy Lafleur and practically crucify Patrice Brisebois. I’ve seen them go crazy for Mats Naslund, Saku Koivu and Alex Kovalev and practically crucify Alex Kovalev and Scott Gomez.

I think management will take all factors into account, it helped that Danny B speaks french; but what he was signed for was playoff scoring, an attribute that every GM is willing to pay for. Like all signings this one came without a guarantee. Hopefully we will find out that it was a good signing this spring.

Geoff Molson wants to make money running the Habs, and is in a good position to do so. I do not believe that is his only motivation. A Stanley Cup is good for the bank account, but is much more important for other, nobler reasons, even if I’m unable to articulate them.

Finally to the gentleman who asked if we can win a cup with Plex and Gio and (Moen, I think)? Of course we can. Not only that, if we don’t win the cup, it will certainly not be because of weaknesses in these players. They are among our best and stack up well against any players on any team. We need pieces to fall into place, maybe even a few new pieces, but these players are not holding us back from winning.

Hmmm, smells like a rant.

“a cannonading drive”

7. ProHabs says:

Anyone know if there are any links out to Ch24 (or is it 24ch) season 2 yet. Merci.

8. Mattyleg says:

I wonder if Ryan Miller is still happy that he chased Lindy Ruff out of Buffalo.

They look like they might never win a game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. yakhab says:

Kudos to Ian Cobb !
    You have come a long way !
    Wonderful to hear an untold story
    Look forward to your posts !

10. galchenyuk27 says:

Is anyone even.watching this oil caps game right now mactavish is probably on the phone crying to mb right now

• Marc says:

Parros and Moen have rings from Anaheim’s cup win.

———————————————————————————————————————-
      If a man speaks in a forest where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong?

• Fransaskois says:

They aren’t a good team by any means. I’m a little embarrassed by how poorly we played against them…. just disgusting defensively.

11. galchenyuk27 says:

The only way and I mean only way Montreal wins a cup is with both Plexs and gio we would have zero veterans with experience without them gio is only hab wearing a ring

12. galchenyuk27 says:

Lol just wait till Edmonton lets in another 25 goals in 5 games and mactavish comes crying to MB for a couple of our over abundance of dmen MB will ask for the works and give up nothing I trust MB more then any habs GM they have had past 2 decades and mactavish is old and desperate

13. Sportfan says:

Bengals-Bills Wrap up !

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

14. Mattyleg says:

What’s going on in Buffalo?
    Lights not working?

-edit- Lights aren’t working.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. twilighthours says:

@Dunboyne,

I do the rounds every now and then. I’m surprised you don’t, what with your credentials.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I already just feel safer knowing you’re on the beat in the neighbourhood! Traditionally, one sheriff is enough: “This town ain’t big enough” etc!

Hope the head’s ok this am. Have a good day!

16. Sportfan says:

Briere demoted to the 4th line wow, is he the new Gomez?

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

17. JF says:

These Yakupov trade scenarios are ludicrous. The Oilers would demand one of our building block players as a start.

I actually wouldn’t want Yakupov. The only one of the Oilers’ kids I would be interested in is Taylor Hall. I like our kids better.

• Mattyleg says:

Here here.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• twilighthours says:

Yak is going to be a star. Might not be in Edmonton, though.

And the price to nab him would be ridiculous. I’m talking Moen, DD, Diaz, and a 2nd. Might even have to throw in a conditional 5th.

• oldtimerguy says:

besides hall, I’d take either eberle OR nugent hopkins…

• Sportfan says:

For me I would only want Eberle

Sports and Entertainment in the link click and enjoy, clicking is fun!

• Danno says:

Yakupov is sounding like a diva if he was quoted correctly

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
      Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

• Chris says:

I would absolutely take Yakupov…I watched him a few times in the OHL and I don’t think I’ve seen a better skater in the past 5-10 years, and his shot isn’t far off that of Stamkos. Yakupov is going to be very, very good. But it is going to take a couple of years for him to get there.

Like you said, any trade with Montreal for a former 1st overall pick is going to start with one of Eller or Galchenyuk. After those two, the only others I could see the Oilers accepting would be Price or Subban, and neither of those trades is reasonable from a Montreal point of view.

As for defencemen, the Oilers are loaded with elite defensive prospects. So Tinordi or Beaulieu don’t carry much value for them. If they are looking for defence, it is for this season. And Montreal has nothing of value that they could part with.

It is a non-starter trade because the two teams don’t have the right fit. If Yakupov were actually on the market (and I could easily see the Oilers dealing him), I think it is going to be a team that needs an elite offensive talent and who has some defencemen that they could part wit

I could easily see the Penguins making a play for Yakupov. They’ve got a ton of NHL defencemen: Egelland, Letang (although he’s hurt), Scuderi, Orpik, Martin, and Niskanen. Maatta is up with the big club, and they’ve got Depres, Harrington, Dumoulin, and Pouliot in the system. They are just loaded.

A deal with Yakupov and Letang as the centrepieces? I could see it, if Katz is willing to carry that salary. The Oilers would have to send out another roster player to make it work, and perhaps one of the Penguins defensive prospects (Depres or Pouliot) could also go the other way.

• vancouverite says:

Either that,
      Or, they could be interested in 1 established player + 1 emerging player and a draft pick to replace Yak.
      Say DD, Gorges, Pateryn and a 2nd. (Soon enough there will be no more room for any of these players, but there would be room for them in EDM)
      (I think we<d be fine with Murray, Emelin, Markov, Subban, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Bouillon)

18. galchenyuk27 says:

I’ve been obsessed with these yakapov rumors I honestly believe he’s coming to play with chucky and we all know how retarded mactavish is him and gillis love giving away there future for nothing I personally think it would take patteryn Diaz Murray and maybe a pick or another prospect think about it all 3 dmen would be improvements to there’s and if we really want nail I can see budaj being part of the deal

• naweed235 says:

All I have to say is LOL. If you really think that any team is stupid enough to give away a 1st overall pick for Patteryn, Diaz & Murray you my friend are either high or just naive.

• vancouverite says:

Its not completely ridiculous… just switch Diaz for Gorges (giving them a more solid player whose a proven playoff performer) and add a pick, like a solid 2nd rounder .

• neumann103 says:

It is totally totally totally ridiculous. Whatever combination of Diaz, Gorges, Murray, Pateryn and Desharnais you pick.

Teams don’t trade away elite talents for role players and spare parts, regardless of how many you throw at them. It is not like you can get a 1st line player in return for three 3rd liners.

Plus you would be asking the Oilers to take on a ton of additional salary/cap hit. Apart from all of the on ice reasons that the Oilers would not make a trade like you propose, a combination of Gorges, Desharnais and Pateryn carry a cap hit of about $8M whereas Yakupov is under $1M. A parsimonious owner in a small market is not going to want to pay $7M more per year to make his team worse.

“Et le but!”

• habsgod says:

they do if the gm of the other team is scott howson or pierre gauthier and glen sather is dealing with them,he’s fleeced more gm’s than anybody has he does it time,and time again

• Phil C says:

I agree that the way Yakupov is playing must be driving MacTavish nuts. It was the same thing with Penner when McTavish was coach. Penner only started producing when Quinn came in. Combine that with MacTavish’s self proclaimed lack of patience and a team that is full of holes, a multi-player deal may tempt him. I don’t think the Habs have the assets to do so, though.

• jols101 says:

Yakupov may get traded, I doubt it, but he might. He won’t get traded for spare parts like Patteryn, Diaz and Murray that is for sure.

It would take our 1st and Beaulieu, Tinordi and maybe a little more. Or Galchenyuk straight up or Subban straight up, which I hope Bergevin would never do.

• habsgod says:

mctavish isn’t that good of a gm to get that kind of return i.e. galchenyuk,subban,bealieu,tinordi,i believe bergevin would fleece him and give up collberg a pick,diaz that’s it …now if pierre gauthier was our gm i’d be scared to death of him getting fleeced.

• oldtimerguy says:

pleks(a vet who helps young Edmonton), gio(another vet), beaulieu and a pick….that’ll do er…

• jols101 says:

If they do trade him it won’t be for older players who are on the down slope of their careers. Just my opinion, you may be right.

• vancouverite says:

would you really give all of that up for Yak? a talented yet unproven player?
          Our captain, our most productive centre over the last 5 years, our 1st rounder whose almost a sure bet to be a solid nhl defensemen, AND a pick. GLad you are not our GM.

19. Psycho29 says:

As long as we are on the subject of “French” born players….a trivia question:

Of all players born in France, who is the all time leader in goals scored?

20. Un Canadien errant says:

Jackal, if you were to involved yourself in my Spats, instead of being behind me, I’d prefer if you were out Front, maybe with a couple of Burly guys, Big dawgs, a Biter, a Psycho or two, you could all ride in on NightRyder. At 6’6″, he’s a giant, Matty’d would have to take him out at the legs Justintime, probably, at Supersonic speed, that’d be his JOb. Wouldn’t want to leave him standing and start Chuck-ing Knuckles, to charge at us like a Rhino, just Bash us. We’d need to be Sly, maybe have a Commandant to coordinate our efforts.

Johnny Larue would be too busy at the bar to pitch in, he’d be drinking his Belly full.

I’d be right with you though. Been a while since I’ve been in a Shaker. I try to be a good citizen, and faceless John Q. Public.

On2ndthought, I’ll be in the back, crafting a 10 000 word panegyric to your exploits. What can I say, since I joined, it’s been Habitforming. HardHabits to break…

21. Renegade says:

The last player on the Habs to say he was a ‘late starter’ was a fellow by the name of Scott Gomez…not an encouraging sign by any account, but we’ll see.

22. The Jackal says:

A wordy but thoughtful response to UCE and language debate here.

I liked your post earlier UCE, so I will put in a word on it and further defend it.

I’m sick of hearing people’s unwarranted claims against the Habs wanting to have some French-CANADIAN connections in players and personnel so that French-CANADIAN fans can relate to the team that is from their province, who they watch every game night on RDS yet can’t understand what the players say in interviews.

Try harder to relate to that, folks. It definitely matters and it is more than PR. Imagine if you had no idea what Gallagher was saying in his interviews, or what the comments PK made meant and why they are funny, would you be able to relate to the player as much? No.
    It’s important, for the reasons UCE stated, to grow and nurture the cultural links that the club has to it’s heritage and to the heritage of many fans who are French-Canadian. It is not a personal fault to not be able to understand the issue here, but it is insensitive to not put yourself in their shoes and try to figure out why it is important that the club does represent it’s heritage and that of many Quebecers and Canadians outside of the province as well.

I come from Venezuela, and I lived there until I was 16. I was fortunate enough to go to English schools since I was a toddler, but a few of my friends did not learn English until later in life, some don’t know English, and some know English but don’t get the nuances when you play around with language. For them, enjoying mainstream/popular culture like movies and shows was a much different experience than it was for me. I got the play on words and the literary allusions, etc., but for them it was more of an alien experience insofar as their grasp of the language – they could not comprehend fully what the message way – some things were lost in translation. Now, some may say that language is not that important, but it is – it is the primary medium by which we communicate ourselves, our own ideas and thoughts. A gap in language creates difficulties not only in the transmission of the aforementioned things, but also in the ability to identify with what is being said.

French-Canadians may always be Habs fans by virtue of the Habs’ tradition and heritage, but if the players, coach, and GM, did not speak French, then those fans would have a hard time in fully identifying themselves with those people and with the team. They would have to listen to translated interviews, possibly by folks who may not translate it into the actual meaning. They would read translated transcripts and understand what is said but they would lack the genuineness of the original text. This is a very problematic situation, it would force those fans to watch an alien team, that is supposedly their team, but with which they cannot relate on a fundamental human level – that of language.

So it is very important that the club continues to nurture these roots, because without that, then not only does a certain group of fans lose out on the experience that we, all fans, cherish so much, but the club also loses out on part of it’s identity.

And a quick word on the language issue on the whole – yes, there are some elements of the Francophone media that are vehement in their calls for the protection of the French language, but overall, the enterprise to ensure the vitality of French in Quebec is justified and right. Most people in Canada can’t imagine why, they just don’t make the effort to empathize with Francophone Quebecers and think through why it is important that they can live without being forced to learn English to have equal access to economic, educational, and cultural opportunities in their own backyards. But the issue is similar to the above – it is no fun to get all these cultural products in a language that you do not understand, and then instead of them being made more accessible, one is forced to learn said language in order to not be shut out. Now, there is great value in being multilingual, but people should not forced to, nor should they feel they HAVE to just to get a job or to have access to a services, etc.

I think people don’t get this because in the Anglophone world, mainstream and popular culture is in English, and the things we grow up with and live with, and our sociological context is in English. But to many Quebecers, their sociological context is in French, yet many key social influences they must deal with are in English, so that is something needs to be addressed and yet it is misunderstood… So much for the quick word on it, but it’s not the evil PQ issue that it is made out to be.

And to drive the point home on the language-hockey thing… if the KHL were in English, I guarantee that there would be many more fans of it in North America – one of the biggest issues that prevents people from watching the KHL is not talent or the “lack of physicality” (which is not really true anyway), but it is the fact that many of us can’t identify with the teams or players because we have no idea what the names mean or what the narrative is or what the players say. That’s why football teams around the globe are so successful, they are multilingual in their coverage and narrative, and the player-base is really cosmopolitan – that’s why you can be a hardcore fan of Bayern Munich but have never been to Germany.

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

23. JO says:

Feel sorry for Buffalo. Not bad Goaltending nothing up front…

24. sweetmad says:

Damn it what on earth is all this talk about race or language,it is irrelevent,there is only one race on this Earth, and thats the human race.I don’t care where people come from, or what language they speak as long as they do the job.They can come from Mars a long as they can score or stop goals,and if taking players from a local area makes more money,only a fool wouldn’t do it.But I think winning Stanley would make more.

As for people from England, eating crumpets and clotted cream,heaven forbid,it’s scones with clotted cream and jam.
    GO HABS GO

25. newbrunswick troy says:

So i’m reading the comments below about why Briere was signed by the Habs , just because he is French mother tongue ? Either way i ashore you of this …. when the games mean everything he will put up points for the Habs !!! he has done it his whole career!!! now as far as little D.D goes ,now that he has his millions in the bank ,well say goodbye to him prforming at any high level cause hill will amount to nothing now that he has the contract !
    i’m afraid to say that he might have been a “language signing”
    And its fair to say that he was an actual

26. Habs1962 says:

Briere isn’t a 4th line type player of course… i suppose they wanna keep him in the linup with the thought that it will take him 10 or 15 games to get going… I think he will end up contributing on the second and third lines as the season progresses and be ready for the playoffs !

27. oldtimerguy says:

pleks, gio, beaulieu and our first for yakupov.

• DipsyDoodler says:

Sure but Edmonton probably don’t want Plekanec and Gionta.

• oldtimerguy says:

Edmonton NEEDS guys like pleks and gio and they NEED defensemen….its a perfect trade for both. We’re not winning the cup with pleks or gio anytime soon…

• stevieray says:

Drinkin’ on a Monday nite Partner :)

• Habs1962 says:

no… too much. IMO … all 3 are big pieces of our team… the Russian kid is unproven in the NHL and sat the other night for an Oiler team.

• SlovakHab says:

Yeah, that’s an amazing trade.

Give away our captain, a great 2-way center, our top defence prospect and a first round pick for a streaky winger that, per his own words, hates “skating, hitting and forechecking”.

Then, 3 seasons later, he will be in Briereland, and you will package him with Tinordi and Eller for another player.

• oldtimerguy says:

pleks is 32 next year, makes too much and we are not winning cup with him in the next 2-3 yrs, by which time hes worth next to nothing.

our top defense prospect? nope..thats tinordi…plus, we have nygren, Bennett, pateryn, dietz and ellis coming…to get a talent like yakupov, you need to give up…. as for a draft? we wont draft under top 20, sooooooo, its something I think we can give up as a throw in…

you say yakupov wont be great, I say he will pan out…he’s young and needs guidance. His comments were likely out of context…he’ll be fine…

• SlovakHab says:

Bealieu and Tinordi are at the very least equal defence prospects, Tinordi being 1 year older so he might look slightly ahead. Tinordi pretty much made the team too, so he is not much of a prospect anymore.

Nygren, Bennett, Pateryn, Dietz and Ellis? Please, do not be ridiculous. That’s probably one or two bottom sixers, the rest career AHLers. Beaulieu is by far the best D on the Bulldogs, even though I like Pateryn too (he is way older though)

If you trade Plekanec, Gionta and Bealieu, it is very likely we draft in the top 20. We can’t just have Eller as a two-way center. Who will you match up with Crosby/Malkin, Bergeron/Krejci type duos?? Briere or Desharnais??

Exchanging 4 assets for 1 is a terrible, terrible move. Absolutely terrible. Yakupov looks pretty bad these days, and his personality doesn’t match MB’s love for character. He is a bigmouth and the comment was not out of context.
          I don’t trust that player, and just because he is a 1st overall pick, you don’t give up 2 current assets (Pleks & Gio) and 2 future (Beaulieu and first rounder) for a massive question mark.

Absolutely terrible, horrendous trade. Yuck.

• oldtimerguy says:

nope, good trade…great trade…getting a first overall for pleks and gio, both of whom are diminishing assets, close to done, with whom we wont be winning a thing in thenext 2 yrs…by which time they are worth LESS……..beaulieu is a hot head, easily replaced by any of nygren, dietz, Bennett…when we have subban, tinordi, emelin, gorges, pateryn, we’ll be fine missing beaulieu with the other guys coming…no issue…

who do you match up? galchenyuk, eller, bourneval, white…for now……

tell me, do you think we are winning the cup in the next year or 2 with gio and pleks? yes or no.

28. JO says:

Wait till tomorrow night see how the lines pan out before you all get to excited might be the best thing MT has done so far.

I know the lines I would like its not gonna happen why post them”””

29. doogie says:

Where to find 24CH second season episodes 1 and 2 ?? in english.

30. ooder says:

so my brothers go see disney on ice, and end up meeting emelin and getting pictures with him.
    lucky kids

31. DipsyDoodler says:

On the topic of bad UFA signings, what were the Devils thinking?

Ryane Clowe: 5 years at $4.85M/yr.

Clowe had 3 goals in 40 games last year. This year he has 1 assist in 6 games and is a -5.

Why not keep Clarkson who signed for only $350,000 more for Toronto?

That is a far worse UFA signing than Briere.

• HabFab says:

Plus both SJ and the Rangers were saying what a physical wreck he had become. Sounded like a desperate move.

• Phil C says:

You know its a bad signing when you suggest that the Clarkson signing would have been better. I think Toronto will regret that one. I like Clarkson as a player, just not at that cap hit. Clowe looked done last year, so its shocking he has to play 5 more, especially for that amount.

• DipsyDoodler says:

I don’t think you are taking into account the NHL salary structure. The cap will soon be around $70M for 22 players.

The bottom 10-12 or so get on average approx. $1M each.

That leaves $60M for 11 players or a little under $6M per player ON AVERAGE.

David Clarkson is getting under $6M. He’s getting less than the average for a top 6 forward.

It’s not a bad cap hit. Obviously you could argue that he’s not that good. But if you think Clarkson is a good player, $5.25M is not going to hurt the team.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to see Clarkson score 12 goals this year. But if he scores 30 again he’s a bargain.

• Phil C says:

“But if he scores 30 again he’s a bargain.”

I think that’s a big if. It seems like an outlier season, not what can be expected on average. But the Leafs have some offensive talent to play with him so maybe he meets expectations.

• SlovakHab says:

He will play maximum 72 games this year. If he scores 30 goals in 72 games, then he is a bonafide sniper.
          I don’t expect more than 25 this season, and less and less afterwards.
          Hopefully his contract binds Leafs big time.

• JUST ME says:

How many HIO posters wanted Bergevin to go for him at any price back then ! The Devils are so badly managed . They got rid of the senseless Kovalchuck deal and got involved in much worse waste of money and are not out of the woods.

32. Phil C says:

Wanting local talent is not unique to the Habs. Ottawa went after Methot and he has been an awesome pick-up for them. Minnesota got Parise and Suter. Edmonton signed Ference. Toronto got Clarkson.

When the Ducks drafted Etem, the Staples centre went nuts.
    He happened to be the best player available, which is the key to picking local talent. It has to happen organically. When it does, it’s a good thing.

• jols101 says:

And those are all great local players for those teams. The problem with the Habs local talent is that they are either too old, Briere, Bouillon, or they are terrible, DD.

Everyone can agree that the Habs need local talent on the team. It is a must. If we had Bergeron, Huberdeau, Drouin or Briere and Vinny 7 or 8 years ago, we would all be very happy. No one wanted us to draft Samuel Morin more than me this past draft but unfortunately the other 29 teams don’t care about our need for homegrown talent. Therefore, we are stuck trying to fit square pegs into round holes and it simply doesn’t work. With the exception of Bournival, our French Canadian players make the team weaker not better.

• oldtimerguy says:

to get any of those French guys you mentioned, we’d have to tank, but im sure you’re one of those anti tankers, yet you sill want elite talent…

DD will be just fine…chill out bro…he just needs to find his groove. How many other guys you know post 60 pts in their first full NHL season? he lost cole last year and cole sucked before he was traded, and yet, he still posted only 5 fewer points than pleks, who by everyone’s account had a great year.

• Phil C says:

Agree, you can’t force it.

33. Fransaskois says:

Looks like two of the players on my watch list, who should also be on yours :D , are healthy scratches that may signal something in the works for both teams (Columbus, Phoenix).

Nikita Nikitin is sitting in the pressbox so the likes of Prout and Savard can test their skills in the NHL. A skilled puck mover (61gp, 32pts, 2012) with the ability to play a decent two-way game, Nikitin would bring the size (6’3, 220lbs) and physicality we need as well as act as another option for the PP. He’s averaging over +20mins/night but isn’t sticking in Columbus. The biggest concern with Nikitin would be defensive consistency…. which was quite good last year but hasn’t been up to par this year. He is more physical than Gorges, less so than Tinordi, and would be an upgrade on what we have.

With T.Erixon, R.Murray, D.Savard and D.Prout all looking to step in as NHL regulars this year, we might see Nikitin or one of these listed prospects moved to make room.

The other player is Rusty Klesla. Solid, shutdown defenceman with great size and a mean physical edge. However, this is why we have Murray and Tinordi, I’m not sure there would be a good spot for him in the lineup considering he’s a black hole offensively. I’m also not %100 sure why he’s scratched…

34. JUST ME says:

I fail to understand why this language thing is again so important since HIO is the only place where it does seem to matter.
    On the french side of the media never since the Randy Cunnyworth nomination as a coach has there been a debate over wich language is preferable.

Can someone tell me why it seems important for HIO posters ?

Of course nobody will say a word against the Briere choice for example on the french side but nobody made a big fuss about getting a frenchy during the off season so …

As much as they are proud of the little gars de chez nous what counts at the end of the day is if we win or not and ever since Bergevin and his gang took over i have not heard complaints or comments regarding the language issue anywhere else but here.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

It’s a marketing issue. You want guys who can do interviews and give little gems to the media, and you want to tip your hat to the old tradition of francophone Montreal players.
      The media money is not in English here – anglo Montreal isn’t much more than Ottawa as a city. Francophone Montreal and the rest of Quebec are where the team makes its money.
      They aren’t responding to racism, xenophobia and narrowness – they are trying to maximize their wealth. This is a Company that will sell a fan a brick and build condo towers where it’s supposed to be ‘forever’.
      Outside Mr Molson’s office, the almighty dollar speaks French here, and it’s easier to chase if you can call out to it.
      The habs know that, and they need some homegrown hockey marketers, I mean players.

• JUST ME says:

I disagree. The Habs cannot by magic create french players. There are not that many good french players available in the NHL and they are now aiming (as it should) for the drafts and the kids they choose. They do not get more french players that way either. Winning is everything and RDS will do interviews with what is available to them. Oh how they love P.K. Galchenuyk and Gallagher ! But none of them speaks french ! They score and they win that`s all that is important .

You did not answer my main question though. Why is the language issue only important on HIO today ? Nowhere do you hear the age old debate elsewhere in the medias. It destroys your theory completely and i do not understand why it came up like that ..

• oldtimerguy says:

totally agree ‘just me’..its such a ridiculous issue…the ONLY thing the habs brass care about, management and owners, is getting the best available on ice talent, French , English, swiss, Russian, freakin eskimo if there was someone good enough…this whole language thing on HIO is repulsive..especially the crap that is heaped on dd…the constant comparison to gomez is just insane…it holds no water whatsoever…

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

I think it comes up on HIO as an English language forum because the players playing so badly are francophones, and that brings out old antagonisms. A lot of anglo habs fans left here years ago, and resent the changes.
          The Cunneyworth debacle showed the marketing problem – the modern NHL is always at cross purposes with hockey. There wouldn’t be teams in the deep south otherwise.

I find many of my fellow Anglos are very quick to call xenophobia and racism, but the next time my community coughs up a bunch of xenophobic racists, I’ll have seen them before many times (and that’s not a statement about specific posters here). It’s just the nature of Anglo-Montreal – it’s better than it used to be.

Yeah, Briere was signed in the hopes that he’d do well as a short term marketing ploy, while they brought younger players along. He was a good player not long ago, and I sincerely hope he will be again, soon.
          On HIO, we can flip most ideas upside down and read their fine print. In a perfect world, the Habs would sign huge young players for talent alone. On a perfect forum, fans would critique play without noting players were francophone and getting mad and calling then “French”. Anglo-Montreal isn’t perfect, so HIO has these one hand clapping language debates.

On the other hand, I have made my attempt at the main question. I’ll bail now to keep us from getting too political.

I wouldn’t have signed Briere myself, but I hope he pots 20.

• mount royal says:

Why is it discussed here? Because unilingual Anglo-Canadians outside of Quebec receive nothing but irresponsible negative stereotypes in the English media…or from the bitter Anglos who went down the road 25 years ago and have no clue how much things have changed since. It is a bad combination; they think they understand the reality here, but in fact the majority have no first-hand experience. I must also add that if your only source of understanding Quebec is the Gazette, then you get a very warped, one0sided view as well.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Good morning mount royal.

I’m a Quebec expat of over 30 years, by marriage not bitterness, and I still love and miss my province, both “solitudes”. I take your point about the Gazette and ask what other sources you’d recommend. I hardly ever get to Montreal and I would love to know “how much things have changed since.”

Cheers

35. John Q Public says:

Albert “Battleship” Leduc
    What a nickname.
    Height: 5’9”

The Great Smurf Height Debate
    They may hold special powers!

36. vegas says:

my personal choice

chucky / eller / gally
    max / plekanec / bourque
    prust / briere or dd / Gionta
    the rest

really load up on those top 2 lines

37. fun police says:

The “based purely on production” quote by therrien is obviously a joke. last time i checked, DD’s production was even worse.

• Phil C says:

I think the difference is that DD played well last game, so the process is there. The points will eventually follow. Briere has not produced, nor played well yet.

38. HabFab says:

For those that missed the latest 24CH show or my short recap, another version from an EOTP writer;

39. Un Canadien errant says:

About French-Canadians on the team, or local boys more broadly speaking, Eddie and Chris did a good job among others of illustrating some of the issues. I’ll take Strummer to task though, since he’s a regular poster who I know can debate an issue sensibly. His dismissing having francos on the team as nothing more than pandering to a few journalists’ need to ask a few meaningless questions is off the mark. That familiar refrain usually ends with a mention that the reporters all speak English anyway and can translate the answers into French, so why bother.

That is missing the point. The issue is that we need our team to be reflective of the fan base. The little kiddies need to recognize themselves on the team. If they hear David Desharnais or Mathieu Darche speaking to them directly, either by answering Chantal’s questions, or at a Caravane event in the summer, there is a much stronger connection created, a real bond. “Wow, Mathieu is so big, and he looks like my cousin François!”

Unfortunately, a lot of English speakers may not understand this, as there are few opportunities for them to experience it. A unilingual French-Canadian kid, immersed as he is in North America and English culture, is faced with that daily, when he can’t understand what Lil Wayne is singing about, or what Alex Galchenyuk is thinking, or what the people are yelling at each other on the “Walking Dead”. There are cheats, and ways around this, and most kids today eventually learn enough English to get by, but as a five or eight year old, it’s huge to be able to relate directly with your heroes and your team. For me, hearing Ken Dryden and Larry Robinson and Bob Gainey make an effort to speak to me in interviews on “La Soirée du Hockey” was very important. I could always get the thoughts of Réjean Houle or Jacques Lemaire or Claude Larose, but it was neat to see Steve Shutt try so darn hard to talk to me, helped along by Lionel Duval.

So separate from the debate over the icetime and line combinations of David Desharnais and Daniel Brière, I think we need to understand that having some local boys on the team is a strategic advantage and an important factor to consider when building long-term. Instead of having a generation of kids like Vincent Lecavalier, who grew up unimpressed with the Canadiens and was kind of a Red Wings fan, and later didn’t place much import on the opportunity to sign here, we need to develop a close bond with our boys, and have them jump through hoops for a chance to play on the team of P.K. Subban and Charles Hudon.

———————————————————————–
    … you know, because there’s no way hundreds of overcompetitive stars with massive egos would ever cheat to gain an edge with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake.–Bill Simmons

• HabFab says:

What I said…. smiley face!

• mrhabby says:

Beyond me why peeps get there knickers in a twist about signing home boys…it’s great for the fan base , good for the organization…unreal.

• mrhabby says:

Briers has played in 5 games….and how many games are left.

• Reflektor says:

Its 2013, I doubt too many young French-Canadian/Quebecois fans need to associate with a local ‘boy’. The Subbans, Galchenyuks, Gallaghers, Prices and Paciorettys will see to that. I am not suggesting a Fucale or Bournival or won’t be a lustre in the oeil of an admiring Canadien cub fan and despite the cultural need (really?) of icing the Franco player, this argument is moot. Bonus is the Habs icing players from across all of Canada and the rest of the hockey world.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Reflektor, understand that there is an impact when you can chat for a few seconds with a player who’ll sign an autograph or speak to your team before a game of baseball. It’s unforgettable. And it’s easier to make that connection if your hero speaks your language, rather than just says a few things in a language you don’t understand, or just smiles awkwardly.

Note the age-range I’m referring to. Teenagers are more able to see that a player is worth admiring/following based on his on-ice performance, but kids are more fickle. My sister loved Frank Mahovlich because he wore #27, and that was her birthdate. If a kid runs into Claude Giroux at a banquet, and has a nice experience, presto, he can become a Flyers fan.

You can remain skeptical, but I think stocking the roster and farm team with local boys is a competitive advantage we have over the Sunbelt teams, for example. We’d be foolish not to take advantage of it.

• Reflektor says:

Good points, again UCE (avec permission). I just don’t want to see the CH management waste picks and/or efforts just because there might be a Franco angle. Note I’m French-Canadian from deep south-central Ontario and have heard similar local boy concerns from the hated Leafs’ mouthpieces and it’s desperate fan base. I say once you put on the jersey, play well, respect the CH logo and be a community member, the genre of your bon mots matter (a bit) less.

• Un Canadien errant says:

We’re on the same page. I don’t want any more Alain Héroux or José Charbonneau picks, just out of the fear that the Nordiques will get to them first. Get the best players available period.

Where we have flexibility though is with unsigned free agents and late picks. At that point, the 200th best player is hard to discern from the 150th or 300th best player available. That’s where you load up on the David Desharnais and Charles Hudons and Stefan Fourniers.

I like the practice of inviting lots of unsigned LHJMQ players to rookie camps and seeing what turns out. If we’re going to take a few Hail Marys, trying to land a ongshot, might as well be a Luc Robitaille.

• Reflektor says:

Well Bergevin has done some solid ‘local’ scouting/development team management to better that situation. If the opportunity is there with a pick or free agent and the player happens to have Franco roots, do it but not at a cost to the team. Brière isn’t a bad choice and the season is barely started. Desharnais is overpaid despite his current on-going slump in overall play.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Agree with all that, and would add — though an anglophone — that I have a deep-seated though ultimately romantic hankering for the idea of the so-called “Flying Frenchmen”, sustained by childhood heroes and favourites including the Pocket Rocket, Cournoyer, Jacques Laperriere, the Flower, Guy and Serge, etc. And language apart, as a Quebecer I always wanted local guys to make the team (and stay there).

What I can’t take is the allegation (and I don’t believe you’re making it, UCE) that the only explanation for DD’s contract is that he’s francophone. The corollaries of that suggestion are just nonsensical.

• yakhab says:

Wrong.
      Put the BEST players on the ice possible .

• Un Canadien errant says:

Well, now that you put it that way, that’s very convincing. Your reasoning is sound, and there’s a subtle attractiveness to your logic.

• yakhab says:

Imagine all that in less than 1000 words !

• Un Canadien errant says:

You see that big blue icon with the bright yellow lightning bolt superimposed on it? Next time you come across it, I humbly suggest you act accordingly. Also, might I suggest you return the favour, and get a similarly distinctive logo at gravatar.com? It would come in handy.

• yakhab says:

Oh I thought it was a crack !

• The Jackal says:

If anyone tried anything with UCE, HIO would all get behind him. Who is this dude?!?!

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Oversimplification.
        There are various typical and legitimate situations when the best players are NOT put on the ice.

• Ian Cobb says:

Normand!
      Are you arriving at the Summit Thursday or Friday? And will B.C. let you back in.?

Check this out for a new article!
      HIO FAN Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

• Phil C says:

Even if you believe it to be a requirement to have francophone players, it is almost impossible to execute because you are competing with 29 other teams for the best francophone talent. At the draft, the chances that the best player available when its your turn to pick is also a francophone are not good. Do you pass on the best player available to take the francophone to meet this need?

As we saw with Briere 6 years ago and Lecavalier this year, free agents are equally difficult as many francophones have little interest playing in the Montreal fishbowl. So you have to either overpay or take players no one else wants. Both options result in a competitive disadvantage when the difference between winning and losing in the cap era is razor thin.

I can handle considering the local angle for player selection as long as it is a hockey decision first. Otherwise you are giving away an advantage to your opposition. To be fair, Lacavalier and Briere were among the better free agents available (on paper anyway) in a lean UFA year, so I did not mind the Habs going after them. Fucale and Gregoire seem to be solid picks. Even Louis Leblanc was justifiable.

I think the best way to get local kids engaged is to win. A parade down St. Catherine’s would do a lot to inspire the next generation.

40. Steeltown Hab says:

No suprises here – The DD signing was obviously an awful move from the start and done for PR reasons, Briere same exact thing. I have more tolerance for Briere being awful considering he’s at the end of his career and has less term on his deal. DD is in his prime and useless.

Mtl constantly misses opportunities to move guys while they look decent when internally you can clearly see who they really are, after his 60 pt yr DD was ripe to trade.

Right now, a guy I wouldn’t mind seeing moved mainly because he still has value Josh Gorges.

And this whole Tinordi or Beaulieu thing…only legitimate question would be who you choose to scratch out of Diaz or Bouillon.
    ———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

41. Danno says:

Before we condemn Briere let’s just see what he can do with Bournival and Moen. I suspect this combination will be dangerous and could provide an opportunity for Briere to finally open up the floodgates. He played well in preseason and has served up several nice passes which DD or Max did not finish on.

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

42. TheMostCupsPeriod says:

How safe is a goldfish in a bowel?

43. DipsyDoodler says:

OK what will it take to get Yakupov? And do we have it? Even though he was benched after the game against us he showed flashes of the explosive talent everyone talks about.

Someone mentioned Tinordi and Gallagher. No way Edmonton makes that trade. Yakupov is a potential franchise cornerstone despite his recent comments (which are really not that big a deal anyway). And anyway it is difficult to trade a #1 pick unless it is for another similar prospect.

But even though the trade heavily favors us I like Gallagher too much (my favourite player as young ‘un was #12) to consider trading him.

• Steeltown Hab says:

I’d offer something like Josh Gorges a 1st and Collberg although I doubt that would get it done.

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• DDO_Habs_Fan says:

“No way Edmonton makes that trade”? You mean no way MB makes that trade. How many more points is Yakupov going to put up than Gallagher? Yakupov has shown he wants to be a one-dimensional player which doesn’t cut in this league. They should have dealt that pick for a stud D-man. Good luck getting value now with him benched.

• mksness says:

wasn’t subban benched one game, eller as well? didn’t price lose his starting job at one point?

what happened to being patient with young players? Nail is a kid and has huge trade value. it will take 3 1st round picks to get him out of edmonton or one hell of a player. he’s a very talented player.

edmonton is in a situation where they are front loaded on forwards. their forwards have to realize that this is not junior any more and that 2 way hockey is way more important than 10 extra points a season on your stat sheet

• DipsyDoodler says:

The Yak was a teenager until last week. To dismiss his career prospects on the basis of a benching (by an incompetently managed team no less) and an interview is less thoughtful than you’ve gotten us used to.

44. Phil C says:

I hope there are not a lot of penalties tomorrow as Therrien tends to roll four lines fairly evenly at even strength. It would be something if Bournival and Moen got Briere going.

I also wonder if its time to try Briere at centre. He might be more effective playing in the middle. I assume they have Bournival at centre tomorrow?

45. frankcasting says:

I hated the Briere signing when it happened, and I hate it now. Bergie needs to earn his own big dollars by making some dramatic changes to this lineup before he faces another Cunneyworth season. A smurf-purge of the first order needs to happen now, not at trade deadline, not in the offseason. Gally should be the last one left; DD, Briere, the “Captain”, have to go, you don’t win Cups with three such prawns in the 21st C.

Loving the Habs since 1965

46. careysubban3176 says:

Personally I think Briere has not played that bad at all. He’s made at least 10 great passes to Pacioretty and Dasharnis but they both have failed to score. SIT LITTLE DAVEY! HE IS ABSOLUTLY USELESS!

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

• careysubban3176 says:

It’s one thing if he could kill penalty’s or lay out some big hits like Prust but he can’t do none of that!

Stop blaming the goaltender! He can only do so much.

47. DDO_Habs_Fan says:

Briere’s demotion is due to a lack of size balance on each line. It’s only 5 games in anyway. Who knows what the lines will be at the end of the year. If one top 9 player gets benched, it will be DD.

48. JO says:

Maybe a good move putting Briere on the 4th line gives us 4-scoring lines we’ll find out tomorrow night maybe he can show young Bournival a few tricks. I think Briere still has some good stuff left in the tank just a matter of time!!

MT is trying everything to win, what more can you ask of him. Get points before injuries start coming our way…

I think Briere should sit! and not play on the 4th line at all. But this is his last fit before Bergevin sends him elsewhere. White had a very good game against Vancouver I thought.

Check this out for a new article!
    HIO FAN Summit game tickets, News, Pictures and comments

50. crabvader says:

Edmonton benching Nail for the 2nd straight game.

What would we have to give up to get a player like that… Given that Edmonton already has an excess of young talent?

I understand he may not be needed… But it would give us a flexibility up front to do…certain things.

It would fill a MaxPac-DD-? void. I would actually seperate the EGG line and put gallagher up there… and before you throw rocks at me for making that statement, hear me out!

You put Nail on with Chucky and Eller…

Again, it all comes down to what you give Edmonton… Otherwise… forget it.

And what about Aaron Asham in the Bleu, Blanc et Rouge?!
    Waiver wire.

Just throwing stuff out there.

51. Mavid says:

GO HABS GO!!

Weed Wacker Grandma Smurf

52. savethepuck says:

Based on the lines posted above, I can see those 3rd and 4th lines getting relatively equal minutes. There is no banging 4th line there, but there seems to be balance.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

53. silverfox says:

I think MT has it right at this point in the season. He is rewarding the players who are producing and demoting the players who aren’t. No I wouldn’t put DD and Briere in the press box, but if the slide continues, what better way to send a message. Beyond that, not much MT can do at risk of offending MB. I like the fact of Eller with patches to get him going.

I like it. Spread the smurf factor around. 1 per line.

55. Lafleurguy says:

Jarome Iginla
    Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/-
    2013-14 Boston Bruins NHL 5 0 1 1 9 2

Daniel Briere
    2013-14 Montreal Canadiens NHL 5 0 1 1 6 0

56. HabFab says:

Marc Antoine Godin –

Davis Drewiske (shoulder) was meant to come back after 4-6 weeks, right around the end of October. “It will be longer”, said a team source.

57. durocher says:

I like the fact that MT has awarded Eller, Gally11, and Gally27 with more ice time, and has commensurately diminished the ice time of DD and Briere. (To be fair, I think DD and Briere should not have been on the same line — they are redundant and it does not make sense to have two small playmakers on the same line.) Bournival also deserves to play, and I’m happy MT has kept him in the lineup.

While MT is doing the right thing, I think MB soon will need to step in and remove the glut down the middle: Briere, DD, Pleks, Eller are 4 people who are naturally fitted for 3 center slots. I hope he will consider moving one of the centers and Diaz for a winger and a better RH defenseman.

58. Garbo says:

Gonna be one hell of a 4th line. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

59. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Man oh man it’s going to be a slobberknocker to make playoffs in the Atlantic(still feels weird to say) division. Assuming that the Sens get their head out their arse,i see us as no better or worse than the other 4 teams that will be battling for a spot. It’s going to be playoff hockey starting right after the olympic break with some of the bottom feeders playing spoiler role as well.

60. piper says:

I don’t know why Whitey gets scratched. At least he brings some sand and is good on draws. Some others bring SFA and get a regular shift.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t think there’s anyone else who should sit in the press-box.
      I know that plenty of people will line up to yell “DD!!” or “Briere!!” but the fact is that those guys need to play to get going. They’re not going to learn anything sitting in the press-box, and they don’t merit punishment.

Whitey is, unfortunately, an expendable. Bournival has more going for him than White does all round, and has earned his playing time. White is, to a great extent, still paying for being a bonehead last season when he was given the opportunity that Bournival is getting this year.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

61. commandant says:

A look at another powerful NCAA Hockey Conference – Hockey East

A look at Blackhawks rookie Joakim Nordstrom

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

62. JO says:

some comments today fits my GRAVATAR

63. JF says:

I like Diaz with Gorges and Markov with Subban better than the original pairings.

64. Buzz Lightbeer says:

Meh i think White played a good game in Van. It’s nice to have somebody that can win a few faceoffs. Rather see Danny boy in the pressbox but that will never happen. Like the top 9 though.

65. ATTENTION PEGGERS

Paired seats now released on ticketmaster, I can’t believe I’m not going….sigh

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures
    Summit Member 1.29.31.33

66. DipsyDoodler says:

WHen is Calvillo coming back? We need him.

• The Jackal says:

Calvillo will help our 2nd wave PP a lot. Once we have him and Emelin, we’ll be unstoppable.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

Both teams playing today need help at the QB position. But yah, the Al’s are nowhere near the same team without Calvillo. I am worried Calvillo may not be leaving the game under his terms, hopefully he regains his health such that when he does retire he can enjoy it.

• JF says:

Calvillo is apparently close to coming back. He was asked last week what he thought the Als should do if he were ready to play in the playoffs. He said that as far as he knew, he was still the starting QB.

I think this is a mistake. Calvillo’s had two concussions in the last couple of years, he’s over 40, he’s never going to win another Grey Cup, and the team isn’t going anywhere this year. He should think about his family and the rest of his life, and retire rather than risk the long-term consequences of another concussion.

Besides, the Als have to move into the post-Calvillo era sometime. They should be using these last few games, including the playoff game, to evaluate what they have in the way of a quarterback. Does one of Tanner Marsh, Josh Neiswander or Troy Smith look like he can be the next one? If not, they have to figure out something for next year.

The positive from this year is that the defence, which has been one of their weak points for the last few years, is much more solid. That at least is something they can build on for next year. Just find a coach….

• yakhab says:

Maybe against Toronto

• slapshot777 says:

With the way the Als QBs played today Calvillo will no doubt start when he is ready to come back. It looked like he was just starting to get a grasp of the offense before he went down. Also the time to recover from the concussion allowed him to recover from a torn rotator cuff. So it was a blessing in disguise really. He should be perfectly healthy going into the playoffs.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

67. Price07 says:

I understand Bergevin wanted to get off on the right foot with the media and fanbase in montreal but enough is enough. Its obvious, that signing players due to them being hometown boys is a stupid idea. Too bad the french media and fans don’t realize it, but as long as Bergevin does i’ll be relieved. We have not one but two cases of overpaid somewhat useless hometown boys on this team. I’ll never get over how the french media and fans actually tried to credit pacioretty and cole’s success to desharnais instead of the other way around. Talk about a non-objective, homer mentality.

Appears MT is indeed using Meritocracy to determine line combinations.

69. Maritime Ronn says:

Interesting.
    $4M per year for 2 years for a now deemed 4th line Center…
    Will he still get unwarranted and unearned PP time, or is that unwarranted and unearned PP time still reserved for Davy?

• Mattyleg says:

Bitter.
      (and he’s not a centre – if you’re going to moan, get it right at least)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Habfan10912 says:

Ronn, I don’t see this 4th line as a traditional 4th line. It looks like the motive is more to provide DD with 2 big wingers where he’s excelled in the past.

And its going to be interesting to see Bournival play with Briere. A couple goals on the power play and we’ll all be back in Briere’s corner.

• FlyAngler says:

Ronn- my question is if Briere has one point and gets demoted to the 4th line for lack of production. Why does DD get to play on the 3rd line with Bourque and Prust when he has ZERO points?

Briere is brand new to this team and it would seem reasonable to me to give him more time to adjust to a new system and new teammates. Obviously someone still has a hard on for DD even though he has produced ZERO so far. It’s a lot more effing likely that Briere will come up with a big goal at a crucial time than DD will as witness the past playoff production of both players. What en effing joke!

“Elever le flambeau!…Raise the Torch!”

• vegas says:

one of the 2 will find the press box soon, the other will play third line center

Lets not forget Parros will be back soon
        we are a forward to many

same happy problen wjen Emelin and Murray come Back

MB must be contemplating some kind of trade

70. Danno says:

The fourth star…

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

71. durocher says:

The practice lines:

Pacioretty-Eller-Gionta
    Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Gallagher
    Bourque-Desharnais-Prust
    Moen-Bournival-Briere

72. NightRyder says:

UP for this one.

It’s time to put Gionta, Briere and Desharnais on one line so we can have the appropriate hyperfocus for all of our little-man complaints.

73. The Jackal says:

First.

In before Timo!

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

74. Un Canadien errant says:

Brilliant.

Daniel Brière is not a ‘french guy’, he’s Canadian.

Whitey is on the trap line, he’s going to be in and out of the lineup until he proves he belongs. That will take more than winning eight faceoffs in one game, it’ll take a period of sustained excellence.

The guy he’s sitting out for has played over 800 NHL games and has more than 650 points. He is a trusted veteran and is higher on the pecking order. Simple.

Nice attempt attacking the fire with gasoline.

75. Psycho29 says:

What French guys did we get? Cristobal Huet? Philippe Bozon? Antoine Roussel? Just curious….I checked the NHL website and didn’t read about any new signings….

76. Un Canadien errant says:

I’m not disputing that his contract is problematic Habsolutely, I’m on the record saying the same thing. I’m not arguing that he was brought in partly because he’s French-Canadian either.

77. Habfan10912 says:

Wonderful. A HIO first. Offsetting brilliants.
    CHeers guys!

78. Un Canadien errant says:

Slacker, if this post is partly in response to mine, I’m disappointed. I tried to put a nuanced post on to explain the other side of the issue, that maybe some English-speaking fans may not have understood or considered before.

“I don’t want idiotic, narrow-minded, xenophobic ideology preventing perfectly talented players from playing here due to fear of being vilified by the French media,…”

Clearly, nobody wants this.

79. CharlieHodgeFan says:

The only French guy I can think of in habs’ history was Huet, right? There are lots of francophones and Quebecois, but French? Very rare.

Okay, it’s a quibble with words, and guys like you from England who come here and comment on our game of hockey might not understand that. You just sit there with your clotted cream and crumpets and want things to be like they were in the old country.

Five games in. I’m not saying Briere will pan out, but I remember the frothing that went on when Cole arrived and was a slow starter. Briere has not impressed, but the coach (you know, the French guy) has responded. Desharnais is where he should be, on the third line.

White has the odd good game, but he’s a marginal talent who would sit a lot more than he does if Parros were around.

80. HabFab says:

Who are you talking to?
    “guys like you from England who come here and comment on our game of hockey might not understand that. You just sit there with your clotted cream and crumpets and want things to be like they were in the old country.”

81. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Un Canadien – I thought your post was dead on. It was subtle, and it was fair.

82. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Posters above. It’s silly, but so is calling Briere “French”.

83. CharlieHodgeFan says:

I was also born and raised in Montreal, and still live here. Where I grew up, using “the French” to describe the neighbours was never ever friendly.

And that my friend, is a big part of the HIO poster hate on for Briere and Desharnais. If they are playing like they are now in 10 games, I’ll be yelling at them too. They are awful out there, so far. But five games in, Briere is ‘French’ in these postings.

I’m more concerned with the short and old problem.

84. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Nope. They want money.
    If they win, good. But the Bell Centre is a gold mine with good or bad teams in it, and they want to milk that cow for all it’s worth.
    Hockey Management wants a Cup. They’re real. Upstairs, they want revenue.

The ‘appeasing’ stuff is a red herring. I suspect it’s missing the point. You appease threats. They are plundering fans who are not the least bit threatening. Look what we pay for a beer.

85. Dunboyne Mike says:

Cheers Habsolutely.
    Could have done with some help from you a couple of nights ago!