Gionta, White out with upper-body injuries (video)

Canadiens captain Brian Gionta and Ryan White are out with upper-body injuries and won’t play Tuesday night in Game 4 of the Habs’ playoff series with the Ottawa Senators (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690). The Senators hold a 2-1 lead over the Canadiens in the best-of-seven series.

P.K. Subban wasn’t available to the media after the team’s optional skate Tuesday morning at Scotiabank Place. However, coach Michel Therrien and defenceman Josh Gorges welcomed Subban’s nomination for the James Norris Memorial Trophy. Subban is one of three finalists for the award for the league’s best defenceman.

“It’s great for him. I think he deserves it,” Gorges said. “He’s had a fantastic year.”

Said Therrien: “We’re very happy about his nomination.”

The coach added: “We like the way that he’s been playing for us. He’s a lot more dependable than he was a few years ago. And that’s a good sign. He’s getting better and better and it’s well deserved.”

Therrien also talked about how Subban has matured and made a lot of progress all season long. And the defenceman is only 23 with room for his game to go to another level.

“And that’s the fun part of it for us,” Therrien said. “We’ve got a young man who’s got a great talent, he’s a force out there, he’s powerful and he wants to get better.”

(Photo by Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photography/Getty Images)

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. SeoSeo says:

Nice post thanks for sharing it with us….I really like this….

2. habbernack says:

Not a Price hater…. I’m a Price doubter…I doubt we will ever win a cup with Price in nets

3. zephyr says:

i’ve been a habs fan for decades. lafleur was my hero. i don’t think people who lack confidence in price should be called haters. there is some justification for having a lack of confidence in him. he’s played below average in 2 of the 3 games so far. i think his poor play has actually deflated his team in those 2 losses. his career playoff w/l is negative. dryden & roy came in & lifted their teams. i liked price because of his potential but at some point u have to produce. the habs are a much better team except in net. how many chances do u give a guy? do u let him cost u a series?
    i wish they’d start budaj. it will be a travesty if they lose to ottawa.

• oldandslo says:

Well said.
      A critic is not a hater except in the eyes of the insecure.

• TheAmerican says:

Yes. You have to give Carey the chance to be the number one guy. Thus, you have to let him cost us a series if he can’t get it done. But if he does blow the series, I think it might be his last chance. IF we lose it will be time, in my opinion, to figure out a Plan B (and B does not stand for Budaj).

• nunacanadien says:

The highest paid backup goalie in history I am sure! If only people would realize that is all Price is sometimes. He is certainly a hit and miss type player, truly Hot and Cold!

4. Iceberg84 says:

I’d give it to PK over Letang. even though Letang’s numbers are better, you have to consider who his teammates are (and that goes both ways). But still, I’m always mixed on Norris nominations. Players with insanely high plus minuses should be considered as well, since they’re clearly doing their job effectively.

• Maritime Ron says:

With respect to your post, Plus/Minus is a lousy, stand alone stat to judge.

The very worst this year was Erik Gudbranson at -22.
      What team would not want him and his upside outside of Florida?

Jeff Skinner was -21
      Jordan Staal was -18
      Huberdeau was -15
      Jamie Benn was -12
      Matt Duchene was -12
      Teemu Selanne was -10

Are there any of those mentioned players that would not look good in a Habs uniform?

5. The Jackal says:

Omg Steven O. You post stats all the time yet don’t seem to understand the concept of regression. What an inane post on playing Budaj. Are you serious? You play Budaj that many games and you don’t get an 80% win ratio. Also, if you know stats then you’d know 55% win ratio is pretty high for the NHL. Not to mention that wins are a team stat.

Oh and if Gally was taken off the PP as you incessantly suggest then we would not have scored in crucial times.

Let MT take care of the coaching and player management. Obviously he knows a lot we don’t. You don’t go from 15th to 2nd by panicking and relying on superficial stats.

6. SteverenO says:

The more I think about it the more pissed off I get.

We have two goalies. one won 8 of 10 starts this year, (80%) and the other won 21 of 38 (55%) .

Why in heaven”s name does anyone think that we have a better chance to win with the goalie A, that has a 55% winning percentage than we would with the goalie B, that has an 80% winning percentage?

Is it because the their goals against averages?
    Goalie A – 2.59
    Goalie B – 2.29

Save percentage?

Goalie A- .905
    Goalie B – 908

(Almost) everyone believes the hype about Price but in reality, if he was a better goalie the numbers would show it.

I believe that, in most cases, the better team will win or lose, regardless, of who their respective goalies, but in a tight evenly matched game it could be the Goalie that determines victory or defeat. If it was up to me, I would take my chances with Budaj, tonight.

I understand the coach going with Price, he has to worry about fan reaction, and his bosses reaction. Even though he knows that the team has a better chance to win with Budaj, he cannot take the risk. Losing with Price won”t cost him his job. losing with Budaj might.

We face a similar situation in the 2008-2009 season. Halak had a better winning percentage than Price during the season yet Price started , played, and lost all 4 games to the Bruins in the playoffs.

Looking back at the goalies last three starts that season, Halak ended the season with , a W-W-L, allowing 1 , 2, and 3 goals respectively. Price last three games that season were all Losses, and he allowed 3, 5, and 3 goals respectively.

So going into the playoffs we has a goalie B who had a better season and had won 2 of his last 3 games giving up a total of 6 goals, and Goalie A who has worse season, and had lost 3 on row giving up 11 goals. The GM (Gainey) fired the coach (Carbonneau) and started and played Goalie A in every minute of all 4 playoff games while Goalie B sat on the bench.

I can understand that Gainey had no choice , it was he who drafted Price. Perhaps, Carbonneau was leaning to Halak , and that may have led to his getting fired?

Something stinks in Denmark.

regards,

Steve O.

7. Psycho29 says:

NEW THREADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

8. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Really need Patches to pot one and go on one of his hot streaks.

9. icky pop says:

And MT not playing P.K on the PK really kills his chances.

10. issie74 says:

GO HABS!!!

We need to be 2-2 at the end of to-nights game.

I still believe.

NorthTOHab

11. Psycho29 says:

5-3 Habs tonight! Guaranteed!

I posted this last week….and I stand by it:

Psycho29
    MAY 3, 2013 AT 3:41 PM:

Chillax everyone….
    As I told co-workers yesterday morning, we will lose the first game, but will win the series.
    Guaranteed!
    Eller is a big loss, but honestly what have Patches and Gio done lately? The kids (and Halpern) will fill in just fine.

12. icky pop says:

Letang wins the Norris because he is defensively responsible and was over a point per game this year. Imagine his points if he played as many games as subban (42) or sitter (48). Had he played all the games, he would have been at among the scoring leaders. You can make a case for fire power on the penguins compared to the habs, but both teams lead the league with 10 players scoring ten or more goals. Penguins scored 16 more goals than the habs. So that argument is void. Letang played more minutes per game, showing he is more valuable to their team. So letang will win I think, but in my opinion, it should be sutter. He’s better defensively than the subban and letang, and still puts up points in Minnesota… Minnesota!

• donmarco says:

Then imagine PK’s performance if he didn’t miss camp and sit out 5 games? This isn’t about imagining “what if”, it’s about “what they did”. I hope PK wins, won’t be surprised if Letang does, but when you compare the teams they play for, PK’s contribution to our success far exceeds, IMO, the contribution Letang made to the Pens. That team would have excelled regardless. Ours wouldn’t have.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

13. Bill says:

I think PK doesn’t play the penalty kill because he already plays big minutes at a very high pace.

Subban couldn’t play at the pace he needs to with another four minutes of ice time.

14. Bill says:

Gonna be a great game tonight! Can’t wait!!

15. Newf_Habster says:

Who is replacing Gionta?

16. donmarco says:

I expect Habs will play exactly as Therrien said they would. Fast, focused and hungry with no post-whistle nonsense. I also predict that within 7 hours, the haters will have disappeared, and the faith from the true fans will be restored. At least until tomorrow.

“Fans don’t boo nobodies”. Reggie Jackson

• APPLAUSE

Thumbs up Post!

I’m hoping the Sens come into tonight’s game thinking it it’s in the bag. Of course they will talk like it’s not over, but inside every one of them is saying we’re done!

Take it to em, speed kills!

Shane Oliver
      Twitter @Sholi2000
      Custom Sports Figures

17. Hi Guys!
    I just wanted to let you guys know about the ‘Adopt Prust A Walrus’ project.
    You can get all the information here ( http://bgally.com/wp/?page_id=740 ).
    Anything helps! Donations are due by Friday at noon.

- A

18. One down , many to go!

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

GO HABS GO

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

Argh… this is one shitty day. One thing after another. It will not end well.

I am out of here and will probably check in back tomorrow. I don’t think I can take a loss tonight in a civilized way.

Hope you all have fun.

Later folks.

20. Timo May 7, 2013 at 2:24 pm
    Oooh, it breaks my heart. Poor Pricey. Hope he didn’t feel too much pain.

TIMO TIMO TIMO

EVERYONE POST LIKE TIMO AND WIN A PRIZE

A STEP RIGHT UP

Shane Oliver
    Twitter @Sholi2000
    Custom Sports Figures

21. AllHailTheFlower says:

Is this thread still going?! Where’s the Liveblog?!?!

Patience is not my strong suit…

22. thehabs21 says:

I smell a 3-1 sens lead in the series

“I can’t really hear what Jeremy says, because I’ve got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ears”

23. pmaraw says:

I am nervous omg pvr’ing, hopefully the douche at work doesnt ruin score for me again like last thursday

24. Maritime Ron says:

In the HOI poll, 80% think PK should win the Norris.

A question for the other 20% that voted against PK in this unscientific poll.
    Please present a case where either Letang or Suter should win.

Suter is a great Dman, yet what has he done that would propel him ahead of PK.
    Letang? Look who he plays with.
    Put PK with that squad and he might pull a Bobby Orr and win the Art Ross.

• pmaraw says:

my case for P.K. winning is he should also win the Hart Trophy

• mksness says:

- look at the penguins record without letang in the line up over the last few years; there is a pretty big drop off. however he is fortunate to play with guys who can finish

- suter in my mind wins it because he brings big time stability. Defensively he is better at shutting down top end offensive players(imo). and offensively his skill set produced pretty good numbers given his staff,

Pk is great i just don’t think he’s defensively better than suter.

• bwoar says:

Letang should win, and I’m not going to make a case. That’s what watching hockey is for. Most of the poll-responders watch only Habs hockey, which colours the results majorly.

Jonas Brodin could easily have been in there too, for that matter.

EDIT: Sorry, meant in response to M. Ron

“thoroughbred”

• johnnylarue says:

+1 on the stability factor. Suter will get the vote of the ‘old boys’ who are afraid of Subban’s non-traditional flash and extroversion.

But I do think Subban has won a lot of people over this year. I suspect it’ll be a close race.

• Maritime Ron says:

Point taken, yet we would also need to note when either Crosby/Malkin or BOTH were also out of the lineup.

Nothing against Suter, yet PK was more valuable to the Habs and why MT kept him off the PK is still a mystery

• Habfan10912 says:

I agree Ron. PK has been the best player on the ice in just about all our games thus season. Just a joy to watch.

• johnnylarue says:

I just don’t want him to win because of the detrimental impact a Norris trophy will have on our salary cap when he gets his contract extension next year!

• Maritime Ron says:

He will get max money – win or not win the trophy.
        If the Habs aren’t willing to go longest term with best money, he will wait them out and become a UFA.
        Next time around, he has arbitration rights that will get him top dollar anyways

25. habs11s says:

Some good pre-game reading…

_____________________________________________________________

26. chilli says:

Can anyone tell me what is going on with Knuckles? I live in LA and tune-in to his radio show and every day since the playoffs began the show starts with “filling in for Chris Nilan is…” and I gotta listen to some hoser talking about the pot-holes in Montreal.

It’s the first round of the playoffs and he’s not there? Something is rotten in the land of Denmark….

I hope he is ok.

The Eller loss is hurting us now.

I am proud of the team for the season and our future but this series has been a real struggle. We should not be counting on Gallagher and Gally to lead us. Pleks, Ryder, Pax, DD, Price, Markov have to contribute in a major way.

And I learned that I hate the Leafs more than I hate the Bruins. Go Bruins.

Habs #1 and any team playing the Leafs are #2.

Team will miss some physicality of White, but Gionta clearly was just not effective enough with that injury.

I look forward to having the healthy bodies of Dumont and Halpern in the lineup. We need to outscore Ottawa, not out fight. Team will be better tonight.

• Mustang says:

Burl, I agree totally. I would add that the rest of the team, including Price, must play at a much higher level than the last game. Of course with the exception of Gallagher, no one played very well in game 3 so let’s hope that the boys make us forget that disaster tonight by making this a best of 3 series.

• Timo says:

Neither Gionta nor Paciorrety should have played last game. They were a waste of a roster spot.

• Habfan10912 says:

Gionta, Emelin, Eller, and White. Bad time to be fighting the injury bug.

• JUST ME says:

The injury factor is the only unknown information that could explain why some players do not play as we are used to see them play. Some are tough on themselves and play injured but they do not really help the team even if they are playing O.K. hockey. But i guess that this is so for all the teams at this time of the year but as always we will learn that so and so was injured…Last year at least 5 Flyers got surgeries after they got eliminated from the playoffs. Not that i am sheding a tear for the Flyers at all but it does explain things afterward…

28. Edman says:

Nobody is talking about Price’s comments after last game. He said he wanted to stay in the game and refused to get pulled. He wanted to feel that pain with the team.

This guy is a class act, he doesn’t care about his individual stats, he just wants to see the wins. True team player and a great leader.

Side note, I LOVE having Halpern with the Gally’s. Halpern will ensure O-zone faceoffs are won and the Gally’s will keep the pressure alive in the zone.

3 players need to have a big game tonight to win…Price, Patches, and DD

Good luck boys #gohabsgo

@EddieThoughts

Dropping like flies. But what to expect when Habs players are always on the receiving end of hitting?

What we need to do is coat our uniforms in a substance like those big ugly yellow fly catching pieces of Tape.

Then when our little guys get hit by Neil etc, instead of us dropping we are stuck to them, and follow them all over the ice.

Thanks for the idea Timo!

• johnnylarue says:

I guarantee opposing players would think twice about hitting our guys if it meant dragging around 200lbs of dead weight for the rest of the game.

Would make things pretty awkward in the dressing room between periods too.

• secretdragonfly says:

Giant Vapona No-Pest Strips for the goons – excellent idea; better slap a patent on that!

• jctremblay says:

Jesus..this is brilliant!
        “Get him off meee..get him offf meeee!!!” Other team running around like 8 year old girls with the fear of bugs…lol

30. J.J. of Turku says:

Had to work a little later tonight, so I can stay up and watch the game without worrying for an early wake up…

I say Bourque opens scoring tonight and the world’s smallest powerforward Gallagher gets GWG.

Bazinga!

31. Chilly Willy says:

Habs win tonight & I will by a few rounds at the next Summit!

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

32. Strummer says:

Gorges while commenting on Subban:
    “His talent level is next to none”

???????????
    ______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

33. H.Upmann says:

we can thank our lucky stars we drafted Subban in 2nd round.. good call Timmins and Gainey

• johnnylarue says:

And to think he was considered a “project”.

I don’t think anyone expected him to be a Norris nominee three seasons in. At age 23? Fuhgettaboutit.

He’s only gonna get better, too…

34. Dirtsteed says:

I really hope Max shows up to play tonight. We need him to not get knocked off the puck so easily and maybe put a few in the net.

I know he can do it. DD is another story though.

35. Big Buffy Boat Club says:

Just realized something! If we win tonight we’re tied up and regain home ice in a best of 3.

For a second there I thought all was lost.

———————————————————————————-
    “Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentations of the women.”

36. dorvalhabsfan says:

Man i just checked out the Ottawa Sun forum…. Their doing 2 things pretty much… Calling for Neil to give PK “What’s Coming” or for Neil to “Pummel Gallagher after the final whistle regardless of outcome”…. And I thought Boston Fans were bad

Go Habs Go

• Kooch7800 says:

classy eh. I really hope the habs beat out the sens. I hate Chris neil with a passion. Would love to see it happen in 6 games but something tells me we are going 7 if we win tonight.

If we don’t win tonight I think we may lose in 6

“Keep your stick on the Ice”

• Habfan10912 says:

They began game 3 by cross checking PK across the face in front of a ref with no penalty called. Tone was set.

• athanor says:

That’s the kind of thing that puts me in a real spot during the playoffs. I want to watch and hate to watch at the same time.

The fact that the referees change the rules makes me absolutely crazy. Any other game of the season and that’s an instant penalty.

And once the Habs have been eliminated in recent years, I have basically stopped watching because the de facto rule changes
        are so distressing. Seeing thuggery and interference beat talent is just not acceptable.

• Fansincebirth says:

wonderful ‘fans’ we have in lovely Ottawa….

What the hell is Neil’s issue with Gally anyways?

• Timo says:

I don’t think Neil has an issue with Gallagher at all. Gallagher is our best forward it would appear so he is a target. An easy target. He is small and no one on the Habs will stand up for him. Neil is doing what Moen should be doing to Karlsson and Alfredson.

• Fansincebirth says:

last game he seemed to have a personal hate on for Gally….

• Timo says:

Well… and what have Habs management learned from all of this? Habs need a few guys like Neil. Mean, nasty, can hit, can fight, can score. No more Giontas and DD’s please.

• J.J. of Turku says:

It’s got to be frustrating to see guy smiling to you, after you have just tried to wipe the floor with him… :D

Bazinga!

• HabFanSince72 says:

We’re no better.

• Chilly Willy says:

Puck the Ottawa Scum

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

• mchenske4 says:

Prust won’t let that happen

• Chris Neil is going to present Subban with the Norris trophy? Yeah, he’s got the coming to him all right!

37. Maritime Ron says:

Whatever happens this year, we are on our way to great things!
    Patience is tough, but there is a process to live.

We all know Bergevin came from the Hawks, and while he wasn’t there for the complete construction, he knows how they won the Cup, how they were built, and the long growing pains involved.

The Hawks process really took….8 years including great drafts/trades/UFA signings.
    Perhaps this is WHY Bergevin didn’t panic and throw away draft picks for some rentals.

2002-Duncan Keith-2nd Round
    2003-Seabrook 1st & Byfuglien 8th
    2004-Bolland 2nd-Bickel 2nd-Brouwer 7th
    2005-Hjalmarsson-4th
    2006-Toews 3rd overall
    2007-Kane 1st overall

2005 Trade: Patrick Sharp from the Flyers, along with Éric Meloche, to the Blackhawks for Matt Ellison and a 3rd-round pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.

Then adding key UFAs such as Brian Campbell for the 08/09 season and Hossa for the 09/10 season.

Are we fortunate?
    Looking back, the Hawks missed the playoffs for 9 years out of 10 between 1998-2008…then won the Cup in 2010.

We can debate where we are in the process, yet it appears we are still 2-4 years between building a ‘consistent’ contender – not a dreamer with no Cup chance, while compiling the right parts.
    We may even take a step backwards to then be able to take 2 steps forwards

• Chilly Willy says:

Hab Fans have waited for 20 years they will not wait any longer … LOL

MacLean is a walrus, goo goo g’joob!

• alain58 says:

We will never be able to repeat that as we will never accept a team that sucks for so long. But the worst would be to suck for so long but get rid of two top 1st round draft picks ala Toronto ;-)

• Maritime Ron says:

The bombastic Burke capitulated to the fans and media.
        He knew his time was short, and his brutal miscalculation of the Leafs will haunt that franchise for a long time.
        Kessel is a wonderful sniper – one of the best, but he is also a UFA summer 2014 with Minny written all over him.

38. Bill says:

This will be a very short-lived thread, but nonetheless, go Habs go!

39. habs1992 says:

Chucky Halpern Gally

i like that line

I support Carey Price

40. johnnylarue says:

Really, really appreciate the link to the story about Pacioretty being introduced to his Swiss League team. Very relevant stuff.

And it goes without saying that I’m also very curious to know how the “PK Subban Saga” will end. Personally, I hope Bergevin just lets him sit out for the year and grow up a bit. He’s way too immature to be of any use to this team.

• Habfan10912 says:

Yep. PK has just been the best player on the ice almost every game this season. Gotta show him who’s boss.
      Sigh.

• johnnylarue says:

Uh oh… wait, I was trash-talking the “You Might Also Like” links but just realized that they change every time the page refreshes.

I’ll consequently forgive you for not knowing I was being entirely sarcastic.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

You might want to put a sarc tag on that.

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• HabFanSince72 says:

Also of note: Plekanec is a game time decision, Patrick Roy is asking for a trade, and Neville Chamberlain just had talks with Adolph Hitler..

• athanor says:

No-script add-on is a wonderful thing. I would never have known those links were appearing had you, and several others, not mentioned them.

41. habzfan2003 says: