Gionta: ‘We can’t expect to play one period and come out with the win’ (Video)

New Oilers Habs HIO

( Richard Wolowicz/Getty Images)

The Canadiens opened the door to the Edmonton Oilers and paid the price for it, Coach Michel Therrien said after the Habs 4-3 loss Tuesday at the Bell Centre.

Or, as Canadiens captain Brian Gionta, put it: “We can’t expect to play one period and come out with the win.”

The Canadiens jumped to a 2-0 lead in the first period, but it was downhill from there with the Oilers tying the game in the second period and grabbing the lead in the third.

“We were playing well in the first period. We were managing the puck really well,” Therrien said. “We didn’t open up for no reason. Then all of a sudden we started to take chances, giving the other team odd-man rushes. You never want to do that. Not only against the Oilers because they’re a talented young team, but against any team in the NHL. You can’t play like this.”

“We’re having a hard time to execute our game plan for 60 minutes. Sometimes it could be (immaturity.) We’ll get better.”

Therrien was also asked about Lars Eller’s comments earlier on Tuesday about the Oilers that drew media attention. Therrien called them inappropriate. “He’s a young player. I think he’ll learn from that,” the coach said.

The 24-year-old forward was asked after the morning skate what kind of game people could expect.

“It’s hard to say with this team,” Eller told reporters. “It can be anything. They play a little bit like a junior team I think sometimes. They take a lot of risks, a lot of chances. They’re a little all over the place. There’s not a lot of structure always in their game. So, it could really be anything.”

You can hear what Gionta had to say after the game here:

And you can listen to Canadiens’ goaltender Carey Price here:

And you can listen to what Patrick Holland, who was called up from the Hamilton Bulldogs,  had to say after his first game in the NHL here:

(Video: Brenda Branswell)

1. sreuel says:

Just like last year only play when they want or never show up . So what is this season any different

2. jols101 says:

I think Mr. Boone feel asleep. I enjoy his ALN.

3. Fransaskois says:

Leblanc with a 3pt night in Hamilton. One game winning goal and two assists.

Sure looks like Bergevin rustled his jimmies with the Holland call-up. He’s also finally playing with better line mates. Dumont, Leblanc, Tarnasky, and Andrighetto especially looked good.

(Thanks for the heads up Jols)

• slyCH says:

Deja vue. ;-)
      Look, I think one day LL will be a decent player in this league. People are too quick to throw him under the bus. But he really impressed me with his play during “the dreaded year”. 5 goals? On that troop? With no guidance and minutes? Ya, he can play in this league. He just had bum luck the last two seasons. High ankle injuries are hard to recover from. And that shoulder from the year before. He’ll put on weight and then… Give him time, linemates, and a F’n break. He’ll be fine.

4. SmielmaN says:

No man to man coverage (or physical man to man coverage) is how the Oil put a couple past price and the 2 on 1’s have to stop. Just terrible coverage and no finish for the forward group. If Galchenyuk had a pure sniper to play with he would have 15 assists by now. Damn I hate when the team looks this bad after playing a great period. They have blown how many leads so far this season???? Wake up boys before it’s too late! Also, when ppl are healthy, trade Pleks for a scoring winger. Please.

5. slyCH says:

I can’t make a comment on the team play since I’ve missed watching the game but on the NHL app box score while at work. I’m quite dissed by the outcome considering we played the Oilers in our barn. I can look at the usual suspects posts and take them with a grain of salt. But damn. I’m all over the place. Moen, bah! DD, crispe! Briere, WTF? (I know he’s out) It’s just too much! It’s hard not to be negative. But I’m trying, I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd yet I’m feeling like I’m faulting…

Ok folks, Habs may suck, but there is always this sport to enjoy. Good night.

7. Feraco says:

You have to think Diaz would be replaced with Murray and or Emelin.

8. Feraco says:

I don’t think it was a horrible game the team just implodes. They fall apart. Fun team to watch when they are winning with Markov and PK playing well. But when they lose they look so soft…always shying away from physical play. Is that the coaching? The players? Edmonton was pushing them around…really? Edmonton?

Can’t believe how often DD falls

I haven’t watched all of L’Antichambre but couple of things that I really surprised me

1. Unanimously they said Desharnais is bad
    2. I actually agree with PJ Stock on what he had to say

I don’t think things can get any better.

• jols101 says:

What was PJ going on about?

• silversnake says:

That the habs didn’t really win against a powerhouse yet except for maybe Canucks but Price stole the game for them. He also said the losses we had were against weaker teams.

In general I think PJ is right when he is on AC, but when he is on HNIC, he’s a whole different animal.

• jols101 says:

Hard not to agree with that. The Habs have had a very easy schedule so far. It is about to get tougher with the Ducks and Sharks rolling through town.

• CalgaryHab says:

Hmmm…

Wins – Flyers, Oilers, Canucks, Jets and Blue Jackets

Loses – Leafs, Flames, Predators, Oilers

It has been an easy schedule

Get ready to take a drink from a firehose

• VancouverHab says:

I believe that the reason for that is his desire to be Don Cherry when the latter retires. And that is entirely a reasonable thing for PJ to be doing….

• slyCH says:

PJ does not have the Charisma of a Don Cherry. Really. What are you saying in response to whatever is said that generally does not apply to any x or y.
            Am I making sense? Yeah, about as much sense as a potential replacement of Cherry by PJ make. NONE.

• billybee4 says:

ANOTHER LOSS WILL BE UNDER 500 SOON……….NO LEADERSHIP ON ICE..[GIONTA GIVE ME A BREAK']…….NO LEADERSHIP BEHIND THE BENCH……MOLSON HAS DONE NOTHING TO IMPROVE THE TEAM……WHICH GAINLEY JUST ABOUT COMPLETELY RUINED QUITE RUNNING ON THE CHEAP…..GET SOME NAME PLAYERS WE HAVE NONE BUT A FEW YEARS AGO WE HAD THEM ALL WHAT HAPPENEDI I JUST FEEL SICK ABOUT HOW THEY HAVE LET THIS TEAM GO TO HELL

• shootdapuck says:

Trading Galchenyuk for Couturier.

=================================================
        The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
        “Le game est tous de hard work”
        ” I have a pet peeve”

10. CalgaryHab says:

Even if they come out with complete effort for the next 2 games, there is about a 99% chance Habs will be a game below .500 after Saturday.

Boone’s taking too long to come up with his ALN. However, this should be a short one – “Habs veteran players suck. The End.”

Someone should ask Gionta why, under his leadership, team consistently does not deliver a 60 minute effort? The entire team. Does anyone in that room has balls to ask that question. Anyone? Jessica?

• shootdapuck says:

‘Habs veteran players’ attitude sucks’
      Quitters, snoozers, layabouts……….
      When you’re a one trick pony the shutdown isn’t difficult!

=================================================
      The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
      “Le game est tous de hard work”
      ” I have a pet peeve”

• slyCH says:

Say it in “PJ speak” then it’ll be understood, and more entertaining.
        EDIT: See point 2 in post above. Ahhhhhh, IRONY!

• shootdapuck says:

Oh to be a member of HIO-Mensa and be able to demonstrate omniscience !

=================================================
          The cranial flatulence of PJ Stock:

“On peut play cette game tres simplement”
          “Le game est tous de hard work”
          ” I have a pet peeve”

• slyCH says:

Don’t get too “cute” buddy, I’m sucking on “artificial” nicotine on a worn down battery on this here electro cig. I’m too nervous to think. ;-)

• AH says:

Timo, good comment, especially the “under his leadership” part; I for one think he’s a lousy Captain, rarely leads the way or by example, and always getting smoked by someone.

12. Danno says:

Fore!

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

13. slyCH says:

Well put Gio. Can’t understand why Eller would say the things he said about the oilers… actually, I can, but it blew up in his face.

14. moroccanhabfan says:

(First.)

What a dissapointing loss. Looking forward to see how they’re going to regroup and face two of the hottest teams in the NHL this week!

With PK, Chucky & Larsy… The Future is Bright !

• Timo says:

I would argue your last statement, and not because I doubt these 3 guys. But The Future is NOT bright because of Bergevin and Therrien. Best example – Oilers. Their talent is as good as Habs’… if not better. But they had the shitty management group and shitty coaches for years and the great talent got them nowhere. Habs are in the same boat.