Gionta to be named Habs captain: report

According to published reports, Brian Gionta will be named the 28th captain of the Canadiens.

He would replace Saku Koivu, who was the last to wear the C for the bleu, blanc, rouge.

The Canadiens played last season without a captain.

1. adamkennelly says:

thats not really the point now is it….

2. fbkj says:

i was just busting balls

on twitter

while striking

3. Kooch7800 says:

I really hope markov stays in Montreal.  They should negotiate now while they can.  I am sure that they want to see how he recovers first though.  I would love to see him as a lifetime Hab

4. mike g says:

I’m talking only about sports coverage….

If you want stories and concrete facts, the Gazette wins.

If you want stats, and boxscores, etc… Then it’s Journal de Montreal.

La Presse, I don’t read it that much. But I know I’ve read it a few times, and it always seemed like a paper with an edge. I found they try to keep the reader hooked to their articles, but sometimes you can tell they’re just seeking attention.

I personally trust almost all Gazette sports writers (Jack Todd’s a little odd). They know their stuff, don’t jump the gun, and report facts. The other newspaper outlets aren’t always as accurate, not saying they’re terrible, but they report rumors. And a rumor is not news, it’s a rumor.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

La Presse has some good and some not so good opinion columns.

It’s overall a  better paper than the Gazette – a testament to the cultural decline of the Montreal Anglo community. The Gazette’s reporting is good, but the cultural stuff is just dire.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Hear hear.

You’re right on all counts.

7. HabFanSince72 says:

Biz-Nasty is from Ontario.

8. notbigbird says:

Wouldn’t we be surprised, if he said that he hoped Marky took his sweet time getting back?

9. Paulin98C says:

I will however restart everythnig once Tinordi and most importantly the next french superstar in the making Leblanc are in their junior teams.

10. ManApart says:

……says Reggie Houle to Sam Pollock

11. MTLForever says:

J.Martin “we’re very encouraged with the way markov’s been recovering and skating. We’re hoping to have him back as soon as possible.

12. DONJUAN says:

I said it from day one Gionta for captain.  Great choice MONTREAL we will have heart and never die attitude for our leader.

In HABS we trust.

13. mike g says:

LOL, yaa…..

But the Leafs botch everything.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. W35T5ID3 says:

breaking news//////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\pk subban is the captain in my eyes.I dont givea crrap wut age he’s at or w/e….HE’S THE FRIGGGIN MAN!

15. mike g says:

Listen….

Often I just joke around and poke fun at certain issues on this site. The day has to pass somehow, right.

But please, don’t tell me you trust anything published in those articles until it’s confirmed by the team? I know however, that when the Gazette publishes something, they’ve done their homework and it will not turn out to be bs. When I saw the La Presse this morning, I didn’t believe it. I said, “ah, I’ll go check a few sites and then I’ll believe it”.

That’s not the sound of a credible news source, is it?

But hey, if they did their homework and knew it was a solid, 100% confirmed story, then fine. Good for them, they did their jobs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. habs4ever2894 says:

Im so proud that the canadiens have a guy like Brian Gionta as captain of this team. Some here feel as though Cammy or georges would have been better choices but i disagree completly. Cammalleri can be a leader but he just doesnt have the stature of a captain sometimes he is a little cocky for my liking however he is a great goalscorer and a good team guy. Josh Georges is just too young to be given the captaincy although he acts mature in front of the media and lays it all on the line on the ice, i still think he has a while before he can be can be looked up to by teammates. Brian gionta is a rolemodel, he works hard every game, is not overly outspoken and just has the overall demeanor of a captain. I think he can be one of the best in years and by the end of his captaincy we will be putting him in the same category as the greats(beliveau , Koivu….)

17. adamkennelly says:

you would argue incorrectly.  Lapierre in the category of Neil, Carcillo?  even Avery can back up his mouth a lot better than Lapierre.

this team needs a player or 2 who create some respect from our opponents – and we don’t have any – Lapierre actually contributes to the problem.

The Laraque experiment failed miserably because he was injured and washed up – not because the team didn’t need him – he just couldnt do the job.  This team could really use a Clarkson, Rupp, Neil, Prust – maybe all of em.

Here’s my idea – go get a “local” player or 2 who can fill that role..how bout Paul Bisonette or maybe P3L from NJ…now you kill 2 birds with one stone.

18. avatar_58 says:

This happened to the leafs and phaneuf, the news came out before the conference. News is news.

19. joshua94k says:

A captain is one who leads by example, provides leadership in the room and on ice, shows up every game, makes the important play and/or scores timely goals. He should be a member of the team for the next few years and highly respected off the ice. In these criteria my choice would be :

1. Mike Cammallerie 2. Brian Gionta and 3. Josh Georges

“It’s too much for one guy to shoulder. For us, we’re going to do it as a group. It’s about sharing that responsibility win or lose.” – Mike Cammallerie

20. Propwash says:

Good on Gionta, it was pretty much inevitable he was going to get the captaincy anyway.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

21. lavie says:

Like I said, I wrote Gionta on one side of the coin with Gio on the other side.

22. DearyLeary says:

Perfect choice, I hpe the rumour is true.

23. Mattyleg says:

Heh heh, everyone’s got their axes to grind, eh?

😉

—Hope Springs Eternal—

24. MTLForever says:

Things from twitter:

Geoff molson confirms that a #Habs captain has yet to be named but will be before the start of the season.

25. mike g says:

Didn’t the Habs say they would announce it?

I clearly remember Gauthier saying that, and unless La Presse was baught out by Molson, then this was not announced by the Habs.

Who knows, maybe the Habs botched it and let the news leak and now we all know. Or, maybe certain people were told to keep their mouths shut, and they couldn’t.

All I know is that it woulda been nice for everyone to wait for the official live announcement from the Habs.

Bope, maybe it’s just the morning and I’m bored, and I’m complaining for nothing.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

26. Mattyleg says:

Mike, unfortunately, you’re the one who always plays the ‘language issue’ card on this site. This is not the first time you’ve taken an issue and turned it into a language thing.

This is not the forum for this kind of bs. Take your hating elsewhere, and talk about hockey here, please.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

27. davelecave says:

The stereotypical goon of yesteryear no longer exists in the NHL.  They are simply not effective enough within the new rules.  Ten years ago they could do their thing, while making up for their lack of ability by hooking, holding, tripping, etc.  With those things being called much more closely, and with the powerplay as important as it is today, there is no room on a team for someone like a Georges Laraque, unless that person can contribute.

Goons don’t survive in today’s NHL, but pests flourish.  They’re different, in that they usually don’t have the overwhelming size, and that given a few seconds with the puck, they can actually make things happen.  Look at Carcillo, Avery, Neil.  These are the types of players that can rattle the opposition without the team’s skill level taking a big hit.

I would argue that we already have that kind of prototype pest in Maxime Lapierre, only he needs to do a little less talking and a little more scoring.

=========================================================================

Papa Gionta!

28. Propwash says:

OByrne has been pretty good at chuckin’ knuckles.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

29. Dr-Watson says:

Here is another “brilliant” thought. Maybe you should be the next P.M. of Canada.

30. mike g says:

I like better this: who will finish higher, Tampa or MTL….?

I can picture this debate gettin’ real nasty. You’ll have a bunch of Boucher, Yzerman, Gainey, Gauthier, etc……Like the good ol days.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

31. avatar_58 says:

I don’t think there was any bad motive here, they knew we wanted to know and they simply shared. If they didn’t someone else would have.

32. mike g says:

Maybe, just maybe….

Look I just can’t stand anything they publish or blabb about on the air. They just come across as arrogant and self protecting people. It’s like they feel everyone is out the get them, and eliminate the french language, make the Habs an english speaking team only, etc…

They always start the dumbest debates on the radio, and each one always has to spin into a language issue. It’s sad and pathetic. Then they’ll have “breaking news”, and it will turn out to either be a lie or something totally irrelevant. But in the end, all they’re doing is crying for attention.

There are many people in the media that I respect, and none of them ever do half the dumb stuff that the french media does. The Gazette never makes fun of the Habs players, and they never have cartoon comics to make fun of the players. Mitch Melnick never comes out with language debates or those famous “breaking news” stories. Same goes for the guys in the morning on the Team 990, they’re not biased towards the english players. When someone has a good game, they say it. When someone has a bad game, they say it.

But meanwhile CKAC is still protesting the Latendresse trade, and they claim he never had one bad/lazy shift playing with the Habs.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

33. ESundy36 says:

I never, ever thought I would see the day where I would be able to actually cheer for a BC grad but Gionta has done it. Now I hope he will mimic what he did at BC, lead a team with a long championship drought to the title.

34. RGM says:

Officially, that’s true. But, umm, isn’t it spelled Geoff?

35. HabFanSince72 says:

OK, next debate.

How about this: do we need a goon?

36. HabFanSince72 says:

The French media are out to get you.

37. Mattyleg says:

Always a reason to be angry, eh?

I have no problem with this.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

38. mike g says:

That’s what I was thinking…

They wanted to keep it secret and unveil the captain today, or when the teams full roster is announced.

But, thanks to the franch media’s persistent need to always break news stories, whether they’re true or total bs, the Habs’ plan to keep everyone in suspense was botched.

Thanks alot La Presse, way to ruin someone else’s plan. But all that matters is that they sold a couple more papers today and got some free advertising for their name.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

39. Bill H says:

Good choice for Captain. I am glad the decision has been made as we can now focus on issues of more consequence…like who is better – Halak or Price – just kidding!

Seriously, there are several players who are deserving and would do an admirable job, among them Cammi, Gorges, etc.  But I like the choice because Gio is under contract for several years, he puts in a great effort every game, and he is well respected and liked by the players.

Now let’s get Markov extended for 4 more years.  I can understand the delay due to Markov’s knee.  I hope management has been in touch with Markov and his agent and expressed a desire to get it done by Xmas after seeing how Markov responds to the surgery.

I am quite optimistic with our team.  No doubt we will encounter a few obstacles along the way.  But I think management has done a good job of clearing out the distractions and working with the cap space available.  Several underperformers from last year will take it up a notch and as a result, we won’t be fighting for a playoff spot at the end of the season.  We will be fighting for home ice advantage.

40. mike g says:

Should have been Lapierre, or Darche….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

41. Malreg says:

From the Canadiens official twitter page:

CanadiensMTL Jeff molson confirms that a #Habs captain has yet to be named but will be before the season begins

42. RGM says:

Golf tourney is today – don’t be surprised if that’s the big unveiling.

43. otter649 says:

Good choice for the captain but just have a press conference asap & make it offical…….

44. RGM says:

As somebody said below, miracles can happen.

This is a great moment for the team, and as we’re all fans it’s something that’s easy to get on board to support.

45. fbkj says:

heh now im concerned about gio being named if you agree with it, considering how your never right about anything 😀

46. habinypsi says:

Holy Cow Harmony on the HIO boards.

I like Gio for capt.

47. habs33 says:

Most important statement point you make, “I think the players will play for him and respect him.”

GO HABS GO!

48. Gil says:

I think a main reason Markov didn’t get the nod over Gio is because of his uncertainty next season. Who wants to give the C away just to see this whole debacle happen again next season?

49. Mattyleg says:

Happy with this, and more importantly, I think the players will play for him and respect him.

Markov will still have respect and people will listen to what he says in the room, but Gio can deal with the media.

Now all he has to do is learn French, and EVERYONE’S happy!!!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

50. pierre lapuck says:

Great choice, a leader who does not make wreckless statements or a media hog (see Diane Fanoof), a proven winner with great credentials.  I also agree with the above mentioned choices for the A.

51. SnowManHabs85 says:

Good, this guy stands up tall with his heart on the ice.

52. Paulin98C says:

DP, I Michael J Fox that button earlier…

53. Paulin98C says:

Just purchased NHL11 for X360 last night. GREAT game! Pre-season is an excellent addition!

I started my “BE A GM”(game play dif: allstar / gm skill: medium) after the draft as the 2010 drafted players are already with their team. My first preseason game, I had the bulldogs pretty much as my roster and made cuts, on the 4th and last pre season game I had my full roster.

Cammy(A)-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta(C)

Pyatt-Lapierre-Palushaj

Moen-Halpern-Boyd

*Darche

Markov(A)-Subban

Gill-Gorges

Hamrlik-Spacek

*Picard, O’Byrne

Wild card on this team is Palushaj, rated at a mere 73 overall, the guy produced big time in 4 pre-seasons games (3G-4A)…he has good speed and a decent shot!

Eller being a 75 overall, bigger but slower just didnt respond well to my controls…centering 1st line on the dogs.

Just can’t wait to get off of work now to get regular season on the go!

54. RGM says:

Great selection. Truly deserving. Bring out the leadership group at the tourney today!

55. ManApart says:

Gio would have been my pick. Who would have guessed that Management  could finally get something right. Miracles can happen.

56. Kooch7800 says:

I agree this is a great choice.  Too be honest, it says something when you have about 5 players that are all derserving of the C.

I was secretly hoping it was going to be Markov as an insurance he will be back after this season.

Congrats to Gio.  He has earned it his whole career

57. BJT says:

Woulda loved it if Gorges were captain, still proud to have Gio as the leader though.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry..
    ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy