Gionta, Pacioretty skate with Black Aces

Coming off a 3-1 win in Game 2 Friday night to even their first-round playoff series with the Senators, only the players who weren’t in the lineup for the Canadiens skated in Brossard at 1 p.m. Saturday ahead of Game 3 Sunday night in Ottawa (7 p.m., CBC, RDS, TSN Radio 690).

Brian Gionta and Max Pacioretty, who missed Game 2 with upper-body injuries, skated with the Black Aces. They are both listed as day-to-day and will make the trip to Ottawa.

The Canadiens headed to Ottawa Saturday afternoon.

(Photo by Pierre Obendrauf/The Gazette)

Habs – and Tinordi – step up in Game 2, by Pat Hickey

Is Habs’ Gallagher the next Martin St. Louis? by Stu Cowan

Why Brandon Prust deserves a big, fat fine, by Ottawa Citizen

Senators should be happy with a split, by Ottawa Citizen

Cherry should visit an NHL dressing room, by Pat Hickey

1. Psycho29 says:

wjc MAY 4, 2013 AT 7:09 PM
    “Ignore ‘coaches corner’ change the channel, do something else, use the mute button.”

Can I do the same with all your posts also???

2. savethepuck says:

I think I need to get out of the house. Trying to watch this hockey game but just can’t do it. I don’t want to catch myself saying ” ooh, nice play” about anyone on either one of these teams. The sloppier the better for me, and that’s just not entertaining to watch.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

3. Strummer says:

maybe Healey gets a puck in the face tonight!

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

4. Strummer says:

Mikhail Grabovski centering the second line- he said it’s a role he can sink his teeth into

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

5. The Jackal says:

The Rat dropped Phanoof easily

______________________
    Hockey sine stercore tauri.

6. HabFanSince72 says:

Poor Ryan Mcdonagh. I guess he learned that move from Ryan O’Byrne.

7. H.Upmann says:

So whats the word for Walrus or Seal in french? :D

8. D Mex says:

Seems there’s no end to the BS coming out of Ottawa. Ottawa Citizen now quoting chapter and verse from the Rule book :

Until today, I had never posted online to a newspaper …
    Have a gawk ;-) >>>

ALWAYS Habs -
    D Mex

• Chuck says:

Read that. The NHL has a tough enough time properly enforcing the rules that apply on the ice, never mind off it.

_______________________________
      X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• The Cat says:

The whole thing is ridiculous, I certainly didnt see any disrespect from Maclean. MT used it as a motivation, but in his heart, Im pretty sure its faked outrage. He probably doesnt know the names of all the sens d-men by heart either.

• christophor says:

The reaction was a little much? Sure, especially from Prust. But all Maclean needed to do was defend his player like everyone else – i.e. without blaming the other team or sounding insensitive to the injury, regardless of what he actually thought. He just needed to say, “Gryba’s not dirty and he was stepping up to make a hit”. Anyone with some PR experience would definitely NOT say, “What’s-his-name, you know, the guy who got badly hurt, well he should be mad at what’s-his-name, you know, the guy who made the pass”. Why not watch his words? He knew that the other team was fuming about the loss and about Eller.

So if you think there wasn’t ANY disrespect or insensitivity or even stupidity, then it just sounds like you’re trying too hard to be a contrarian.

Oh, and Therrien was definitely not faking it.

• The Cat says:

Well I always say what I feel, its often the opposite of you guys but it aint my fault if youre all nuts.

9. jols101 says:

They had the right idea but the execution was terrible on that ceremony.

• Chuck says:

They’ll have to examine video an make adjustments for the next game.

_______________________________
      X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

10. Danno says:

Rene Rancourt hair and attire is not unlike that of a washed-up gigolo

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

11. Chuck says:

Booins or Laffs tonight? Not sure which way to go with this one…

_______________________________
    X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

12. Strummer says:

Anybody watching the opening ceremony at TD Garden?

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• Chuck says:

Yep.

Thank goodness they didn’t play Marley’s “Get Up, Stand Up”.

_______________________________
      X 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

• Strummer says:

Too soon?

Edit “The bombs bursting in air” in the anthem may need to be modified as well
        ______________________________________________________
        “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

13. Bash says:

Paul is the walrus!
    Paul is the egg man!
    Koo Koo Ka Choo!

“If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.” (anon)

14. SmartDog says:

5 THOUGHTS:

1. Price was awesome last night, but Bourque IMO should’ve been first star for laying on big hits every chance he got. I’m lovin’ this guy when he plays like that. Maybe the Habs are getting that edge they need.
    2. Thanks to Prust for just laying it out there and letting Ottawa know how pissed the Habs were. I think Ottawa was a bit shell-shocked at how the Habs came at them.
    3. MacLean sounds more stupid every time he opens his mouth. He’s really hurt his image.
    4. If Price battles EVERY game like he did last night he’ll be the goalie he can be. I still am of the opinion he has issues that won’t go away. I know I’m in the minority here… and heck, even Fleury seems to have found his level.
    5. So we beat the Sens without Eller (who we likely won’t get back) but ALSO without Patches and Gio. What does this say? I only hope when these two guys come back they come back with fire. Neither was playing up to the level that the whole team played up to last night.

SD

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!

• D Mex says:

Would be interesting to know how much playoff coaching experience Maclean has – his behaviours suggest it is limited …

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

15. christophor says:

Totally different topic. Let’s turn on GM mode and pretend it’s the offseason.

Target is Zach Bogosian. Winnipeg has Enstrom and Byfuglien, plus Trouba coming up. They would want a dependable top 4 Dman in return for Bogosian, and then some.

How about (1) Josh Gorges or Alexei Emelin, and (2) one of the Habs’ high 2nd rounders or a B-prospect (Holland, Pateryn, Ellis, maybe Bournival)?

Seems like little to offer, but Winnipeg might take the deal if the Habs also take Oli Jokinen off their hands. He’s got one more year at 4.5 million and isn’t worth half that. Winnipeg has TONS of cap space next year, so get them to cover 50% of the cap hit while MTL pays all of his salary. That’s 4.5 mill in savings for Winnipeg plus an inconsequential cap hit of 2.75 mill. Then the Habs can send Jokinen to Hamilton – or loan him to another AHL team – if he doesn’t make the Habs roster out of camp. They could get lucky and lose him and his remaining 2.75 mill cap hit off of waivers – not impossible. If not, the remaining cap hit would be 1.825 mill, and after the Kaberle buyout, the Habs have room.

So to the Habs:
    (1) Bogosian, (2) Jokinen’s 4.5 mill salary, and (3) 1.825 mill of Jokinen’s cap hit, with 2.75 mill retained by Winnipeg and 900 000 being wiped out when Jokinen is demoted… If Jokinen is claimed off of waivers, item (3) is wiped out.

To the Jets:
    (1) Gorges or Emelin [I prefer Gorges], and (2) either a high 2013 2nd rounder or a B-prospect [I'd prefer to keep Bournival, so someone else]

16. habstrinifan says:

I hope HABS and especially Prust forget the whole Eller/Gryba stuff by gametime. Time to shift focus back to plain sound execution while Ottawa gets caught up in any emotion baggage.

Dont lose the intensity and physicalness but make it a lunch bucket game.

17. donmarco says:

Jeez, this guy is just making it too easy. Here’s a more complete transcript from today’s press conference with Maclean. The reason he’s not good with numbers? He’s from Nova Scotia. WTF??? And now it’s about the Habs disrespecting them because all the Habs wanted to talk about is how dirty a player Gyrba. Again, wtf???

And he’s not fat.

• D Mex says:

Paul Maclean is pushing a bad position here : he is a professional coach whose job, in part, is to know his opponents. At this point in the season, he should know them to the N-th degree.

His initial comments were dismissive and condescending. Maclean knows this, of course, but rather than look for a way out of the pile of @h!t he has created, he’s trying to paint it pink and pretend it doesn’t stink.

News Flash : it stinks Paul, and so does your attitude.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

• savethepuck says:

Let Ottawa keep playing this series in the papers while getting distracted. The Habs will just play the series on the ice.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

18. HammerHab says:

only 181 comments in 4 hours? Habs must’ve played well yesterday….

———————————–

It’ll always be Habs Inside/Out to me

19. Habitant in Surrey says:

…so, …I haven’t read everyOne’s thoughts this morning, only scanned …yet it seems there is nothing but good vibes today

…even Tim is flagellating bon mots about Our Team and feeling little despair

…carry-on Boyz n Girlrz ! …carry-on ! …enjoy, enjoy !

…foreboding officially begins again tomorrow …relax and enjoy while You can

…because, We, Fans, are Gods with amnesia :)

20. Bozo McBozo says:

The sad truth is, and I don’t like it either having watched the Habs from 1969 forward, is that the gap between the elite teams and the others is just not that wide anymore. Crap fourth liners can now skate! Anything can and more often that not will happen. The key is to have some skin in the game. I was there with my brother in the Forum in ’93 when they won their last Cup and our wives know that we will either be there or be enjoying a dirt nap for the next one!

21. habs1992 says:

I must say i heard that Lars Eller was visited by team doctors today, and he says he has no headaces, this is great news. If he could ever come back by round 2 of 3 what a boost it would be, but sometimes with concussions you have good and bad days but still good news

I support Carey Price

• Habcouver says:

Hope they don’t rush him back. We need Larry to be healthy for the long-term. Looking at the replay again, the injury could have been a lot worse! Couldn’t help thinking about Bill Masterton.

Waiting patiently for #25

• 24 Cups says:

Eller needs to sit out until next October. Let’s not act like the Penguins on this one.

• Habfan10912 says:

I want Eller to play now as much as anyone but 24 us correct. Sometimes symptoms from a concussion can come several days later. It is good news he is symptom free. If he’s symptom free in a week-10 days we’ll talk.

• Habilis says:

While I understand the above posters’ caution, I would suggest that if he is feeling fine today and continues symptom free for the next few days, there’s no reason why he can’t come back for the end of this series, with a full shield.

I say this without knowing his concussion history. But if this is his first, then there’s no reason to hold him out long term.

I suffered almost the exact same injuries to what Eller has and I can tell you from experience that it’s really not that bad after the first day. Breathing sucks for a few weeks, but nothing that isn’t manageable. I know that every concussion is different, but if he’s already headache free, that’s a great sign.

22. habstrinifan says:

Agree or disagree?

SJS VS Vanc…. I say Vanc. done like dinner ( Alain Vigneault ran outta
    ideas in 2011.)
    CHI VS Minn…. I say Minn done like dinner not because they arent
    trying, but CHI too good.
    WSH VS NYR… I say NYR done like dinner cause
    a) WSH better than we think ..Oats has found all
    the answers
    b) NYR players just aint gonna dig deep for Torts..
    that dog wont hunt anymore.
    STL-LA LA may win one game.
    BOS-TOR Leafs aint winning in Boston… may win 1 game.

• donmarco says:

I suddenly feel like having dinner.

• JF says:

The Rangers and L.A. could still surprise, but the Caps are totally different from what they were at the beginning of the season, and better than last year. I’m also hoping the Leafs have gotten over their playoff nerves tonight and are a little more aware of what playoff hockey is all about. But you’re probably right that they won’t win more than one game. I never thought Minny would beat Chicago, and I took SJ over Vancouver. The Canucks’ window closed about last year, and the Luongo business continues to be a distraction. What I would love would be if the Islanders upset the Pens.

• habstrinifan says:

Just cant see Pens allowing Isles to beat them in rnd 1. But I think they have to be careful that they dont stand around and watch Crosby. If you check the stats Crosby and Malkin had 18 shots combined but just 1 hit and Iginla had 2 shots and 2 hits. Kinda says to me they are playing hockey like they play basketball.. with two guys taking the shots.

• Strummer says:

Trini you don’t appear to be a guy that goes out on a limb.
      If your were gonna take flyer on one of those which one would it be?

______________________________________________________
      “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habstrinifan says:

The Vancouver SJS series.

• Strummer says:

That one’s a possibility given that 0-2 isn’t impossible to overcome and SJ has a spotty post-season track record.
          ______________________________________________________
          “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

• habstrinifan says:

Sorry I thought you meant “take a flyer” as in bet big bucks that my ‘predicted outcome’ is right. Thus I would be willing to gamble big of VANC being swept.

In the way you meant it.. which team would defy the odds and therefore pay big by winning, I say Minn..simply cause the odds must right now be high and Minn really hasnt played that badly.

23. Lafleurguy says:

Na-Na-Naa-Na
    Na-Na- Naa-Na
    Hey, Hey-ay
    Goodbye……..*

“May you live in interesting times.”
    *goingoutforsushi

24. donmarco says:

MacLean in a press conference says he doesn’t even know who #61 is on his own team (Andre Benoit). Not sure exactly what point he’s trying to make but it’s not making him sound any better.

25. Habcouver says:

What’s the latest news on Larry?
    I don’t expect to see him back for the playoffs but it would sure be awesome to see him behind the bench or in the tunnel for game 5.

Waiting patiently for #25

• savethepuck says:

Concussion and facial and dental fractures. Hard to say how long he is out. It seems no players recover from concussions in the same time frame. I am sure the other injuries alone would put him out a few weeks. It is also not clear if the facial fractures are just a broken nose, or if cheek bones etc… are also fractured. The latter would most likely take longer to heal.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• habs1992 says:

I doubt he will be back, but you never truly ever know with concussions of course he could just wear a shield would it ever be great to see him back at the rink. My favorite center on the habs.

I support Carey Price

• wjc says:

Why do you want him in a tunnel?

wjc

26. Hockeymask27 says:

So not sure if anyone noticed or talked about this already but they seemed to have changed the goal song from L’Oreille again. Which bugs me to no end. Yes I made an account just to post that. I know its strange to feel so strongly about a goal song but to me L’Oreille just brings back so many cool memories.

27. 416erHabsFan says:

We did just fine without Gionta and MaxPac. Gionta is invisible most of the time anyways. Why is it only Gallager is willing to stand in front of the net? It makes me ill watching the rest of the players hanging out at the side of the net most games. We have to be in FRONT of Anderson.

• Saintpatrick33 says:

I wish Max would play like he did last year driving the net hard. He hasn’t looked like the same player this year. All those outside shots made Anderson look good and when we had more grinders in the lineup we won. Keep things the same for next game IMO.

• zephyr says:

max is our best fwd. he may have been playing hurt. he’s been so good for so long, i’m cutting him some slack.

• wjc says:

If you didn’t notice Gionta, you are not paying attention.

wjc

28. Psycho29 says:

I wonder if our National Treasure Archie Bu…..oops I mean Don Cherry will have something nice to say about the “walrus comment”?

29. habstrinifan says:

This is why I said our best first round match was Ottawa. We can now sit back and enjoy the Leafs-Bruins pounding each other while we reset for tomorrow.

Great comic relief break.

On another note.. HABS have won 3 out of 4 and coulda been 4 out of 4… which may mean that they are getting back to their season long form…. which is a good thing.

30. Dr.Rex says:

Dehumanizing victims is a classic tactic used by governments, businesses and lawyers. FOrtunetely in hockey there are still those compassionate enough to call people out for this. Maybe PRust didnt use the right words but the theory behind Therrien and PRust speaking out was right.

• D Mex says:

Brandon Prust strikes me as a straightforward, hard-working guy.

I suspect he has a heart of gold, and thought his word selection was absolutely perfect when :
      1- he didn’t want to talk about ” that coach ” again,
      2- he explains the significance of hitting far shoulder, and
      3- he hopes aloud that Gryba does NOT get suspended.

One thing for sure : Maclean knows the name of Montreal’s #8.

ALWAYS Habs -
      D Mex

31. otter649 says:

Jason Spezza has been out of Ottawa’s lineup so long the Coach MacLean calls him #19…..

- Stanley come home…..

32. mark24 says:

Pretty sure the Gionta injury is hand or wrist related. Late in game one he was on the bench sitting and conversing with another player. He looked at his hand/wrist and told whoever was sitting beside him “I cant even shoot”. I know at that point he was still playing, but when I heard he was out for game two I remembered reading his lips and kinda wondered if there was an issue.

33. Vinny25 says:

That’s not a “hang loose” sign!!!!!!
    It’s a LONGHORN sign.. Index and pinky … Hang lose is a THUMB and pinky mr bitter

34. Rugger says:

Just got back from a wonderful afternoon of Rugby against the St. Lamberts Locks from NB who came down to Southern New Hampshire for the weekend, I think they were still hungover since we beat them. Now I get to watch the Laffs and B’s beat each other up. Hopefully a more phsyical game than their first.

35. JF says:

I wonder if Paul Maclean is already regretting his comments about Gryba’s hit on Eller. Therrien was right to point to the lack of respect he showed both to Eller and Diaz in pretending to forget their names, and to the Canadiens as a team. This sort of thing becomes instant bulletin board material and can be a powerful motivator for the team targeted. As I think we saw last night. Remember Bruce Boudreau’s and Ovechkin’s comments about the Habs before that series? The reference to “Tomas Jagr”, to Halak’s supposedly shaking hand, to the lack of anything much on the team. Or Chris Letang saying the Habs would be too worn down to survive a seven-game series against the Pens. What you say about your opponent before or during a series can come back to bite you. I think Maclean’s remarks are already biting him.

• Captain aHab says:

He most definitely regrets it. He kept throwing flowers to the Habs before the series to not give them bulletin board fodder, then he messed up. And his guys didn’t play all that hard after Prust dissed him back.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

• ooder says:

totally agree with you, but one thing about the caps. I think it was the habs who fired first with Plekanec calling out Theodore as not a good goalie

• habstrinifan says:

We (meaning HABS players , coaches) gotta move on though. It was a great catalyst for game 2 but now reset and back to no ‘chip on shoulder’ yet intense and appropriately emotional hockey.

If the coaches bring it up again, they run the risk of ‘false message’.

• wjc says:

Just coaches ‘trash talking’ forgetting a name and saying the number, in a reporter scrum, happens all the time.

They call it a suicide pass for a reason, they avoid the suicide pass for a reason. Number 61 (Diaz) made that pass, and Eller took that pass and he was hit.

Memo….DO NOT MAKE THOSE PASSES, they are suicide passes.

wjc

36. Mr. Biter says:

Price giving the “Hang Loose” salute. No one else ever been to Hawaii or even California?

Mr. Biter
    No Guts No Glory

37. Steeltown Hab says:

Also why the over sheltering of Dumont? He can have an impact for us with Gionta out

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

38. Steeltown Hab says:

Great bounce back game by Diaz.

Gallagher is unreal and still needs more ice. Galchenyuk ditto.

Ppl trashing White after the suspension….sit the f down.

Lmao never thought I’d say this but Armstrong impressed

———————————

Lars, PK, Galchenyuk, Pac, Emelin – @J_Perez22

• Mr. Biter says:

Just watched the 2 hits White gave on that one shift. When challenged by Kassian Look at White’s hands, gloves already getting set to be dropped. No fear of his size. Just took MT and White 47 games to see eye to eye.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

39. CharlieHodgeFan says:

Prust was so rude. Tusk tusk.

• Captain aHab says:

lol

I posted a comment (currently awaiting moderation) in the “Prust deserves a fine” article asking those who had already commented if they had complained to the Citizen for showing the shot of a bloodied Eller on their frontpage….lotsa respect there. We’ll see if they actually post it.

—————-
      Me skull and crossbones arn’t the only thing I plan on raisin’ tonight.

40. rhino514 says:

Anyone find it odd that Maclean didn´t know Diaz by name?
    Do coaches not do as much homework as we think they do?
    I LOVE Prust´s crack, i don´t care if it over the line. It shows that Maclean´s remarks really served to motivate the team.

• Loonie says:

They know every player in every organization in the league and most outside of it.

He was being a jerk and got called out for it.

• Phil C says:

Exactly, either pure theatre or an attempt to dehumanize the enemy. Either way he was being a jackass.

• neumann103 says:

This is the point.

He pretended not to know whether it was Eller who got hit, and who Diaz was.

He is the coach of a Division rival who plays the Habs all the time. They had four days off to prepare for a playoff series against the Habs. They have a book on every Habs player. They have schemed out how to exploit Davis Drewiske, if he happened to play in the series. They will have thought about how to exploit it if the Habs dress Weber as a 4th line forward. If they don’t then they aren’t really doing their jobs. And Mclean is a guy who will probably win the Jack Adams award. So I don’t think he is incompetent.

What he was is gratuitously disrespectful. That P.O.S. knew exactly who was lying on the ice unconscious and bleeding, and he knew exactly who Diaz is. He was trying to minimize and deflect by de-personalizing the victim and derogating Diaz as some anonymous incompetent who was really at fault.

Anyone who thinks that that is not going to be a red flag to a team of professionals has a screw loose. It reeks of dishonour.

Prust, on the other hand, took a direct rhetorical attack on McLean using the time honoured “resemblance to a walrus”/”how fat is he?” gambit. You would only expect someone to have a problem with it if they are being thin skinned. Walruses have very thick skin.

“Et le but!”

• JF says:

Reminds me of Don Cherry after the Pacioretty incident. Part of his defence of Chara was to pretend to forget Pacioretty’s name. He was just “the kid – what’s his name?”.

41. Storman says:

Hey Fellow Hab nuts,, just got back from opening day some senior baseball, and watching Team USA in a local sports bar, Danny Kristo played well and picked up a couple of assists in 5-3 USA victory over Austria.. Any news on Max, and Gio…

• donmarco says:

Travelled with the team to Ottawa. Officially “day to day” which only means they’re still alive, nothing else. Looking forward to seeing Kristo in training camp.

• Storman says:

I think Kristo is starting to commit himself more to a professional career now, with the work and dedication required,, losing that college time atmosphere, could be a beauty,,, Ryder type sniper with way better skating skills, quite creative with the puck as well,,No word on Max type of shoulder injury, I here Gio its his bicep again..

• donmarco says:

I heard the Gio bicep rumors too, but with the cone of silence over the Canadiens in the playoffs, it’s only speculation. But if it was season ending it wouldn’t really make sense bringing him to Ottawa would it? of course, I could be wrong.

• Storman says:

If he has torn or partially torn his bicep again he should sit, he will have no strength in that arm to win any puck battles, very tough injury to play through, But only speculating as well, one of those i heard from someone who heard from someone deals…Max skating usually means Max will play though…

42. Loonie says:

Ottawa media wants a fine for Prust? Haha. Hilarious.

Perhaps Eugene Melnyk should hire a forensic investigator to comb through the NHL’s rules governing off-ice conduct.

On another note, the Habs may not win this series for a variety of reasons and this doesn’t really count in the standings but our Habs have heart, those Senators don’t. One of many reasons they won’t go on to greatness even if they get by our Habs. But I will say this, I’m optimistic. If a team can’t bury it’s opponent on the heels of a crushing loss and it having to play the following game without three of its best forwards, that team has a problem.

• donmarco says:

Well written. There are hundreds of stories of players, and teams, who somehow achieved levels of success in the playoffs they never were predicted to. The character showed last night made me one very proud Habs fan, and Ottawa can say what they want but they had us on the ropes and not only couldn’t they put us down, we got back up and knocked them out. They have to be the more fragile team, confidence-wise, going forward.

• mksness says:

last night’s game was probably the most physical game i have seen the habs play all year. And price was awesome in the second period making atleast 4 huge stops.

gotta say i was impressed with ryan white as well. love that guy.

• Frank2468 says:

Well before Ottawa gets a fine for Prust, the Sens should be fined for stealing King Waldorf from Marine Land. LOL If the Habs play the same way Sunday as they did Friday then Paul MacLean is going to need some Seal P.R. LOL.

• The Jackal says:

Hey Loon keep the optimism up, Habs will win this series!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

43. Sean Bonjovi says:

I thought every story I read today would be about how the Canadiens pulled off a gutsy, tough win and got their “revenge” without needing to start even one single fight.

44. rhino514 says:

who the heck are the black aces?

• Loonie says:

The kids called up at the end of the season and the healthy scratches.

Pateryn
      Beaulieu
      Bounival
      Blunden
      Weber
      Kaberle

Among others I’m sure.

• Mr. Biter says:

If memory serves me correctly, the original “Black Aces” were from the Springfield Indians when they were owned by Eddie Shore. Players who were sitting or not playing well were forced to do maintance and other chores to the arena. Name come from there. read it along time ago in a book about Shore.

Mr. Biter
      No Guts No Glory

45. donmarco says:

Below is a link to an interview Paul MacLean’s brother gave regarding Prust’s comments. He found them to be hurtful and entirely untrue and disrespectful to MacLean’s entire family. At least I think that’s what he said.

46. habsfan0 says:

Did anyone see the plays where Patches and Gionta are injured?

• pmaraw says:

they kinda showed where they think they happened on cbc last night. gionta’s arm went into the boards funny and was hanging kinda low and max… i think he threw a check and kept going after, didnt look hurt, but that’s all they showed

47. jrshabs1 says:

So if you don’t like ‘ole’ you are a Hab hater?….give your self a shake…Man up..we got a game tomorrow.
    Go Habs Go!!

• ZepFan2 says:

Yeah…that’s not what he said.

———————————————————————-
      Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
      Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• commandant says:

Well he doesn’t understand the Ole song, so maybe understanding what I wrote was also above his him.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• ZepFan2 says:

Seems like he’s mixing two of your posts into one.

———————————————————————-
          Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
          Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• jrshabs1 says:

it’s dumb!!…it’s a European soccer song….some Hab fan ripped it off…what is there not to understand?

Go Habs Go!!

• ZepFan2 says:

“what is there not to understand?”

How about the fact that Commandant never said, “if you don’t like ‘ole’ you are a Hab hater”?

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
            Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

• jrshabs1 says:

can’t be anymore clear…it’s a European soccer song..somebody ripped it off…ole is dumb!

Go Habs Go!!

• jrshabs1 says:

dude..really?…I’m talking about the stupid ‘ole’ soccer song…. Commandant is quite adament that it’s some part of Canadiens lore..it’s not ..it’s ripped off.

Go Habs Go!!

• ZepFan2 says:

“Commandant is quite adament that it’s some part of Canadiens lore”

Show me where he even comes close to saying that.

You can’t because he never said that. Nor did he say that anyone that doesn’t like the Ole song is a hab hater.

You’re 0 for 2.

———————————————————————-
            Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
            Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

48. donmarco says:

@commandant You make a very valid point about some of the haters. They want so much to be proven right that they’ll actually cheer against a player or the team. Kind of pathetic, and they have no right to call themselves “fans”. You either accept your team and cheer for them, or you don’t and pull for someone else.

• CharlieHodgeFan says:

No sensible human being should call him or herself a “fan”, or anyone else a “hater”, a “fanboy” or a “leafs fan”. So arguing what a true fan is is ludicrous.

I prefer we think of ourselves a true athletic supporters, on a quest for a cup.

49. Strummer says:

Rocket Richard scores 5 goals, 3 assists after moving furnture all day

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

50. donmarco says:

Washington up 2 games to none.

51. otter649 says:

Rangers golden boy & McGuire’s favorite (cause Habs traded him) takes a penalty in OT & Caps win on a power play…..

- Stanley come home…..

52. jols101 says:

Caps win it in Overtime…

53. RH says:

I think that “walrus” comment is in my head now too. Everytime they show that coach on the tube, all I see is a walrus making talking jestures and pointing its flippers….weird.

54. jrshabs1 says:

the “walrus” is still yappin’..check out the tsn twitter feed. Good on him…let him still be worked up over a comment…should have kept his mouth shut in the 1st place. Eller lays on the ice 1/2 dead and the Habs move forward and pick up a big win…Ottawa’s coach gets called out for his dumb comments and a day and a loss later is still yappin’ about it….maybe the chant in game 5 should be “walrus” instead of the stupid ‘ole’…wich for whatever reason comes way to early..everytime.

Go Habs Go!!

• commandant says:

OLE can not possibly be chanted too early… its not possible.

OLE is not a victory song, it is an encouragement song. It is literally the equivalent of Go Habs Go.

It can be sung before the game (and it is part of the Habs regular season pre-game video package). It can be sung if the team is winning, or if the team is losing, or if the score is tied.

Why our own fans don’t understand the song, I really don’t know.

Perhaps they get it confused with this song (sung at the end of a series) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtsvOkKFDf4

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• The Jackal says:

When did OLE become a thing for Habs fans? Was it 2007-08?

I wish we sang epic Habs songs like they do in soccer stadiums like You’ll Never Walk Alone or Glory Glory Man United… would be cool… at least better than Ole.

I still sing Ole if we are winning but something more Habs-centric would be awesome.

You know what is funny? Other fans like to rib on the Ole song but when Crosby scored the GWG in 2010 for the gold medal the whole of Dundas Square in TO was singing OLE OLE OLE CROSBY CANADA. That and the bar I was in that day too…. so it must be catching on.
        ______________________
        Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• jrshabs1 says:

ole is dumb..plus it seems to fire up the other team..how many leads have been lost after the good old ‘ole goes through the building? The leafs actually use ‘ole’ as spinach. Habs up 2-1 early in the 3rd on Thursday…then it was ‘ole’ time…next thing you know..4-2 sens. Maybe our fans don’t understand the song because: A..it sucks
        B..it belongs to some European soccer team
        C… as previously mentioned it fires up the oppostion more than the home team.

Go Habs Go!!

• Mr. Biter says:

I agree with jrshabs1. Start the Ole with 1 minute to go and a 3 goal lead, not at the start of the 3rd period with a one goal lead. Does seem to invigorate the opposing teams.

Mr. Biter
          No Guts No Glory

• commandant says:

Its a catch 22

A team, the visitors can turn any chant into motivation… whether its the Ole Ole Ole song, or Go Habs go, or booing a player like Chara or Tim Thomas…., or whatever the crowd noise.

It can also spur on the home team, and can get them more into the game. Make them play harder with the crowd behind them.

So what do you want… our crowd not to cheer on the team cause it might spur on the foe? I don’t want to be a quiet arena like the ACC or SBP (when not facing the Habs)… I like our loud, boisterous crowd, and I want our crowd to have a good time at the games and cheer our team on.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• Habby_Haberton says:

That may be what it is in your eyes, but it is a motivator for the other team more than anything and I agree the fans cheer it way to soon. a ‘Go Habs Go’ is the only real chant that should be used to get their team going without basically asking for karma to come back and score on them.

• commandant says:

If a team is looking to the crowd for motivation… any chant can be motivation for wanting to shut them up. It doesn’t matter.

Besides all that. most players will tell you that the only time they ever hear the crowd is during stoppages in play. The rest of the time, its ain the background, not even heard as they are focused on the task at hand.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• otter649 says:

If the media is stupid enough to ask him about “The Walrus” comment good for MacLean to answer it right away rather than say no comment then get asked at every press conference until he does comment…..

- Stanley come home…..

55. otter649 says:

Sheldon Souray is a healthy scratch for todays game against Detroit probably thanks to his ill advised penalty late in game two where The Wings scored on the power play in over time….

- Stanley come home…..

56. otter649 says:

Wonder if the NHL is starting to worry about The Rangers/Capitals Game that’s on the main network on NBC as The Kentucky Derby is up next on NBC & appears the game is going into overtime with no score yet although the game has to 4pm to decide a winner – Memories of a few years back come to mind……

- Stanley come home…..

57. habs1992 says:

Every1 played great last night expect David Deharnais, the guy is simply terrible,

I support Carey Price

• HardHabits says:

His play was instrumental on the Bourque goal. You really don’t know much about hockey do you?

• habs1992 says:

actually that play really was all Bourque, DD is really not that good and was a terrible to to reisgn him, i guess you just judge people on one play and not through the course of a whole game

I support Carey Price

• The Jackal says:

DD was underwhelming in game 1 but he stepped it up yesterday and worked his ass off on that play. What game did you watch?

______________________
          Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• habs1992 says:

well that is for he defintely played better in game 2, i dont think you can play much worse as he did in game 1, what happened to the player who got 60 points last year

I support Carey Price

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

He’s 20 years old, don’t expect much logic.

• FunkyCrabChairNF says:

I take that back, cuz I hate opinions being dismissed based on age. Maybe he doesn’t own a television?

• commandant says:

He’s a DD hater obviously who would rather claim to be “right” about his hatred than admit a player had a good game.

DD was very good last night and part of the victory.

People want to hate on this 3.5 million contract for no reason. Its fair money for a guy who can score in the range of 45-55 points or more in a season. 50 point forwards get 4.5-5.5 million as UFAs.

Your 2013 NHL Draft Headquarters, Now Open.

• The Jackal says:

Well yeah we all want the 60 point DD back but as long as he plays like he did in game 2 he will contribute.

But you can’t dismiss his play yesterday, that is for sure.

______________________
            Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• Psycho29 says:

I don’t “agree” with people saying DD was terrible. I thought he played well enough last night.

Last night’s game the Habs made a quantum leap forward into an emerging new identity. I’ve always felt before the play-offs, win or lose, what was more important to me was whether or not they left it all out there on the ice. Last night they did. They are correct to call that game a character win.

The NHL, it’s fans, the other teams, the pundits, they all took notice.

How they played. How they brushed off the adversity. How they won. A game for the ages.

I have watched many Habs games in my life, but that one was one of the best I’ve enjoyed in more than just recent memory. Could this game be a turning point for the organization moving forward? Only time will tell.

• 24 Cups says:

Well said, Dave.

There’s been lots of ups and downs on this site the past five years but last night gave us all a chance to be proud of our team.

It’s one step at a time but last night was a quantum leap.

• The Jackal says:

Well said.
      I think it is the turning point, not only for a new identity and culture but it also shows us the team’s desire to win for each other and for MT. They are fired up and motivated and believe they will come back to MTL with the series at 3-1 for the Habs.
      It was a great character win for sure. I think they lost on Thursday because they had an emotional letdown after the second, they had their adrenaline going and failed to score on the 5-on-3, then in the intermission it was all a letdown, they came out flat and let the sens back into the game when they should have kept up their attack.

Habs have shown us that they are winners and what they are capable of, and I think these 2 games have crystallized the identity that MB and MT have been trying to bring in, and with that, it also has consolidated the Habs’ way of playing – fast, aggressive, responsible, and team-first.

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

• zorro says:

That kind of effort is what it takes to win in the playoff’s. With some top forward’s out of the line up it could have been easy for these guy’s to check out, but they battled through the adversity, showed lot’s of character, and proved they believe in their coach and team mate’s.
      You know, win, lose or draw, that’s all I expect out this franchise.

• JF says:

Great post, HH, and the comments in response.

59. Maritime Ron says:

Don’t worry about Carey’s hand salute.
    Being the cowboy he is, he has fans all over including the University of Texas Longhorns.
    That’s their salute.
    He’s just saluting his Texas fans

60. otter649 says:

Lotsa of comments about goaltending in this years playoffs – written & verbal but can not remember the last time a goalie/team won 16 straight games for The Stanley Cup – Goalies/teams will lose games but how they bounce back the next game is the main thing for those involved…..

- Stanley come home…..

61. H.Upmann says:

I haven’t been watching Habs games all that long, maybe a few years? But last night’s was the first I ever saw the team commit to that much hitting and checking. It was amazing to see! Keep it up boys

• H.Upmann says:

and Subban is just amazing… can’t believe some of us wanted him gone at the start. We got so lucky drafting that guy in the second round.

62. Ice Storm says:

May The Fourth Be with us all…
    Our band of Rebels stood strong against the attacking Empire, led by the Sith Lord Anderson. The Empire was forced to retreat back to The Scotiabank Star, where they will regroup and expect an offensive attack from Obi Wan Subban and the bite of the Jedi Knight, Carey Price.
    Happy Star Wars Day to all of Habland…

63. Maritime Ron says:

Even Chris Neil is going baby

From the Ottawa Sun
    “Chris Neil made a valid point when he told reporters Friday morning that the hit he took from Subban in Game 1 was worse (dirtier) than the Eric Gryba hit on Eller. Watch the replay again. Subban left his feet and made direct, initial contact with Neil’s head”

I hope there’s a big Kleenex sale going on in Ottawa.

64. otter649 says:

I see DD#51 becoming a Kyle Wellwood type player & will stick around The NHL for awhile and when he gets older finish out his hockey career in Europe…..

- Stanley come home…..

65. habsfan0 says:

That does not appear to be a “Live long and prosper” salute that Carey Price is giving the fans in that photo.

66. donmarco says:

The Citizen is calling for Prust to be suspended for calling MacLean a riot. I thought the headline was tongue in cheek, but they’re serious. We’re really getting into their heads. And I bet there’s not a single Hab who feels like this series is tied, but you won’t hear them saying anything publicly.

67. Ton says:

ok I’m back……I am the “Timo” police………..what crap is he causing again………..if its DD he’s right! Not guilty

• Lafleurguy says:

Upon further review, DD had a hand in the Gallagher goal (I think) and was engaged and created chances around Anderson’s crease…..good game!

“May you live in interesting times.”

• jols101 says:

He had absolutely nothing to do with the Gallagher goal.

But ya, he played better than the 1st playoff game. Still wouldn’t classify it as ‘good’, he needs to bring the intensity up a few notches.

68. Thomas Le Fan says:

“Why Prust deserves a big fat fine?” Ha! Do they know how much these guys get paid? If I was Prust, I’d write a cheque and add, “Stupid too.” Then write another and add, “Gutless and no class.” And then ….

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• christophor says:

There’s a “ch..uk” in “Galchenyuk”

• Thomas Le Fan says:

There’s sh it in ‘shovel it’ too but it’s still the worst nickname for a budding superstar …. like … ever. The Rocket. The Flower. The Boomer. We can do better. Go Habs!

There is no crying in baseball, “i” in team or “chuck” in Galchenyuk.

• The Jackal says:

Haha… what idiots. And MacLean is not a jackass? Come oN!!!

______________________
      Hockey sine stercore tauri.

69. donmarco says:

Even if you’re not a Therrien fan (hey Timo), you have to give him credit for some awesome sound bites in his press conference before the game. Didn’t get mired in the muck, talked with controlled anger about respect, and the best “by the way, his name is Diaz, in case you didn’t know” made MacLean look like an unprepared moron. I bet the team would have charged through a brick wall for a coach who spoke like that.

• Lafleurguy says:

The F-bombs after period 2 in the 7-3 loss to the Flyers shown on an episode of 24CH reassured everyone the older MT is still very passionate.

“May you live in interesting times.”

What’s the status on Bourque? Sheesh. I understand it’s sunday and all but it’s playoffs and HIO could pull and extra couple of hour of “hard” work to snoop some info.

71. jols101 says:

Wasn’t DD suppose to be the next St.Louis? That panned out great. How about we let Gallagher be Gallagher and just be thrilled that he is on our team.

72. Lafleurguy says:

Have to respectfully disagree with Stu Cowan for seeing a premise to compare Gallagher to St. Louis. Their styles are very different, so the fact that both have height issues, which really aren’t issues in each of their situations, they don’t have much in common. Brendan has tons of potential, whereas St. Louis has tons of great achievements.

“May you live in interesting times.”

73. Gerry H says:

Fantastic news that both Pacioretty and Gionta are day-to-day.

What would be even better would be to have Lars Eller back for round two.

74. Lafleurguy says:

Someone has to be first. D-oh! Congrats Trini.

“May you live in interesting times.”

75. habstrinifan says:

First!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

76. Bozo McBozo says:

You are spot on. The crazy thing about the NHL is that at the allegedly highest level of the game, the officiating is the absolute worst. I have the luxury of watching a lot of NCAA D-1 games and you never, ever see games called as poorly as those at the NHL level. The first thing I think they need to do is go back to the one-ref system. One guy calling a crappy game becomes predictable and the players can adjust. The inconsistencies with two is impossible.

77. Danno says:

Bettman is a disgrace

________________________________________

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”
    Updates, highlights & great discussions on all things Habs

78. otter649 says:

Prust when he was hit into the boards was called for putting his hand on/over the puck….

- Stanley come home…..

79. punkster says:

Not a dive…closing his hand on the puck according to the stats sheet…which the replay clearly shows he did.

If this is in reference to another play let me know.

Edit…he did get a diving call in the first game…was he boarded in that one? I dont recall.

***SUBBANGIN’ NOW BABY!!!***

80. Strummer says:

The games are called as ref’s are instructed to call them.
    I think among the rules committee and ownership there are polarizing influences that prevent the games being called consistently.

Doves vs hawks, skill vs grinder and fighting vs pacifism

______________________________________________________
    “It’s just an opinion – I could be wrong”

81. ZepFan2 says:

I suppose living in a cave would mean you’re either a bear or a Dwarf.

———————————————————————-
    Ka is a wheel.

“On we sweep, with threshing oar.
    Our only goal will be the Stanley Cup!” – Danno

For Your Life

82. Habfan10912 says:

Mods on this site are anonymous. Perhaps a Maple Leaf site will answer for you.

83. Clay says:

Or an Orc?

__________________________
    ☞ “And yet not choice but habit rules the unreflecting herd.” ~ William Wordsworth ☜

84. Maritime Ron says:

As mentioned above, what would Lars want?