Gionta is oddsmaker’s choice for C

AUDIO: Robert Mayer | Andrew Conboy | Yannick Weber

You knew it was going to happen: oddsmakers have gotten into the choice of the Canadiens captain, guaranteed by GM Pierre Gauthier to be announced before the first game of the season.

Says bodog.com: Brian Gionta a 2-3 choice to wear the C. Andrei Markov is 7-2, Michael Cammalleri is 4-1, Josh Gorges is 15-2 and the field is 7-2.

1. fbkj says:

bugs have you ever been to washington? your nicknames for the city makes you come off more awkward and spazzy than normal, no offence…

anywhoo way to use THREE strawman arguments in one post, thats layers of fail

what hes saying is that your rules as to what constitutes as being an ideal captain are in fact not absolutes

you used age as an example, players were brought up that showed you that, in fact, age wasnt necessarilly an issue

you then made it about skill, and again, it was shown to you that skill wasnt necessarilly an issue…

why are you being so obtuse? (i ask this rhetorically of course)

2. madcap_habsfan says:

I’m with you on all three counts, so there ya go, i\m at least one vocal minority arounde here

-”People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” Chuck Palahniuk

3. Bugs says:

You mean the 1st year Russian wasn’t made captain right off the bat?

That’s weird. Because Gorges is just like Ovechkin. Right? And Montreal is just like Wahytown. Exactly the same.

Since Halpern could tell a first year Russian what to do, that means Gorges can boss Gomez and Marky and Cammy around now. Right?

It’s exactly the same. Yes?

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant Head Honcho to what goes down in Chinatown, Big Cheese at Flannelcorp Media, and Lead Copy-boy at Habsbros Hard Data Factory: http://habsbros.blogspot.com

4. Somethingwithhabsinit says:

I think it’s the combo that will hold Josh back for now. Not uncommon to see young guys get the C, or guys who don’t fill the net. Pretty rare for a young, defensive-minded guy to get a shot, especially with the other options currently on the Habs.

I wouldn’t be overly upset if it were Gorges, just surprised. I think it’s a two horse race between Markov and Gionta. I’m happy with either, glad we have the options.

5. JD_ says:

Far as I recall, Markov didn’t sit for the team picture cause of his severed Achilles tendon and was going to be photoshopped into it. And, at the time, Gionta was seated front and center. I can only guess the picture you’ve linked to was taken during a subsequent event and has become the official team photo.

6. newbrunswick troy says:

Hamerlik  gone at 5.5mil will go along way to help…i can,t see Gorges getting any more than 2-2.5mil

that said it,s always going to be a struggle with the cap

7. mike g says:

Ovechkin only scored 52 goals in 05-06 when Halpern was captain…

Nope, nobody…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. Bugs says:

There was no one in Washy; Josh coulda been captain there.

Josh isn’t Adam Foote.

Josh isn’t Tkacuk.

Now, there’s no one in St-Louie; Josh could be captain there.

There’s no one in Edm; Josh could be captain there.

Josh isn’t Langenbrunner.

Josh isn’t Drury, but could still be captain in NY.

There’s no one in Buffalo; Josh could be captain there.

Now that we’ve covered everything completely unrelated, let’s do Montreal.

Reprovingly reproof-proof, here sits

9. SLONCOLD says:

i think georges could cost you a bit more and there are some question marks in regards to pouliot, lapierre and AK; this season could be the deal breaker for some of them staying or leaving. break out years by those players could create a big contract demand. but overall i liek the way u think on this one

10. zak says:

Josh wasn’t drafted as a junior and he was captain of the Memorial cup champs Kelowna Rockets.If p[t producers are the criteria for caps The flower should have been the captain of the habs not Gainey or Carbo

11. J Haul says:

Actually, I’m looking at last years team photo right now. Markov was actually dead centre, with Gill on his left and Gionta on his right. All wearing A’s and sitting in between the management always seated in the front row.

Typically it goes like this:

Goalie – Player wearing A – Management – Player wearing C – Management – Player wearing A – Goalie

Last year it went like this:

Goalie – Management – 3 players wearing A’s – Management – Goalie

For the record, I’m all for Gionta, just wanted to clear up the photo discrepency.

12. joeybarrie says:

Markov 6.5 million

Gorges 2.5 million

Obyrne 1.5 million

Lapierre 1.25 million

Pouliot 2 million

AK 3.5 million (if he plays better)

leaving 8 million to sign 3 – 4th line players, 2 Defencemen and a backup goalie.

Halpern 750K

Schultz 750K

Pyatt 750K

Gill (or his replacement) 2.25 million

Hamr’s replacement 3.25 million

Alex Auld (or his replacement) 1.25 million

Leaves us 500k over the current cap. If it goes up we are set. If not, its doubtfull all these guys will still be around. We will most likely trade one or 23 and replace them with someone else from the farm at around 500k-750k…

I STILL SEE US MAKING THE PLAYOFFS AND BEYOND…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

13. mike g says:

I can go on all day…(that’s what she said)

I just tried listing a few current or recent captains who weren’t big point producers.

If we go back many years, we’d probably be able to list over 20 players.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

14. lavie says:

Then try Gio again.

15. J.T. says:

What about 5) Sens fans get charged double?

16. mike g says:

Chris Clark was captain in WSH.

Adam Foote in COL

Eric Brewer in STL

Keith Tkacuk in STL

Ethan Moreau in EDM

Langenbrunner in NJ

Drury in NY

Rivet in BUF

None are the top scorers on their teams. Some are actually far down the list.

Points mean nothin.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

17. HFX-HabFan says:

I think Gainey/Gauthier have situated us fairly well to be honest.  Let’s break it down:

Goal:  Chances are we won’t spend more than 1mil on our backup again, Auld could walk or even Mayer could be promoted if he as a good year in the AHL (his cap hit would be .53mil, nice!)  Total added:  1mil.

D:  Hopefully Markov signs an extension well in advance of July 1, 2011, because if he doesn’t, there could be some serious bidding going for him, Kaberle and Chara.  That said, the only way I see Markov brining in more than 7mil/yr is if he takes home the Norris this year.  It could be that we only bring back one of Hammer or Gill too; regardless, there is no way Hammer will make 5.5mil/yr on his next contract.  He’s probably looking at 3mil/yr.  So let’s say Markov comes back for 6.5mil, Hammer walks, Gill takes 2.25, and Gorges takes 2.75.  OB won’t take more than a mil.  Whether they add from the FA market or promote someone from the AHL, the seventh d-man won’t cost more than a mil.  Total added:  13.5mil.

Forwards:  Laps, Boyd, and Pyatt will all come in at 1mil/yr each.  Halpern and Darche walk.  We could potentially deal away one of AK46 or Pouliot- they’re both RFAs and their next contracts will largely hinge on their production this year.  White, Avtsin or MaxPac could all get promoted (White and MaxPac would need to re-sign but they’ll probably come in around 1mil/yr or less).  The Habs are actually in a spot where they could feasibly add a top-six forward (if AK or Pouliot leave) for 3-4mil/yr.  Guesstimated total added:  9mil.

I think we’ll still come in under budget.  We’ll be okay.  Just no flashy UFA additions, mostly promotions from the AHL and possibly a forward coming via trade.

18. habaddict_andy says:

Have you forgotten about Koivu already?  Tied for the longest captaincy in the franchise.

19. mike g says:

Points have nothing to do with it, buddy…

I’m not saying Josh should be cap, or he’s my 1st choice.

All I’m saying is if those YOUNG players can be captain, so can he. Nothing to do with point production, nothing at all. When considering captains, leadership counts, respect counts. Not how many times you touched the puck and your teammate scored right after.

Wasn’t Gill an assistant last year? Yeah. Did he get alot of points? Nope.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

20. Chuck says:

I say leave the captaincy vacant for the beginning of the year, and give it to the guy who first reaches 35 goals… or in Carey’s case, 35 wins.  :)

21. WarHero says:

From time to time I write blogs on http://www.Hockeybuzz.com and have just finished the final article in my 2010/2011 Player Points Predictions series. Please feel free to take a read and comment. Your feedback is always welcome!

Montreal Canadiens – Player Points Predictions – Defensemen

Centers:

Wingers:

————————————————————————

22. fbkj says:

no its not.

manning up and being accountable are great character attributes, especially for a captain

i state this with more absolution than you do

tag