Gill joins scrubs on the ice

Defenceman Hal Gill and Andrei Kostitsyn were the only impact players on the ice this morning as the Canadiens held an optional on-ice practice following a team meeting.

The other players scheduled on the   Mathieu Darche, Sergei Kostitsyn,  Glen Metropolit, Ben Maxwell, Jaroslav Spacek and backup goaltender Carey Price.

AUDIO: Hal Gill | Scott Gomez | Tomas Plekanec | Mathieu Darche | Jacques Martin

1. keepthefaith says:

110 percent agreed

2. Say Ash says:

They haven’t made one with Crosby’s hack attack and javelin toss yet? I, for one, am shocked.

3. mike g says:

I’m talking about the ones on tv realeased by the NHL, and available on NHL.COM

Those are not fake. Those are a desperate attempt to make something out of nothing. Pathetic.

But I know there are a bunch of fake ones on youtube.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

4. Chris says:

Couldn’t agree more.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

There a ton of fakes floating around, but these are NHL-made commercials that they feature on their own website and are professionally done, the faked-up ones are generally spotted because of how they’re edited and the text on the ‘what if’.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

6. Chris says:

Never said it was intentional, nor did I imply that it was a penalty. However, getting a stick to the ear sometimes hurts. :)

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Strongly agree, they started off this brilliant ad campaign, they just started grabbing every highlight clip from this year’s playoffs like these were more amazing moments than anything that had happened in the last 40 years.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

8. Chris says:

Thanks Mike…thought it was Gorges but I wasn’t paying too close of attention.

9. tanhaa says:

You fail to get the point.  These are little things that our coach fails to do properly int he game.  Not playing a fourth liner (no matter who it is, look at their time on ice), is not a laugable reason as you claim.  This has effect on the whole team.  You shorten your bench without any valid reasons and you tire the players you play the most and you can’t expect these guys to give you a 60 minute effort.

Darche’s skill level is not in question here.  A plumber is a plumber.  Your fourth liners don’t necessary have to be skilled, that’s why they are fourth liners.  You are obviously not going to put a guy like Gomez or Gionta on the fourth line.  You can’t have that on the fourth line.  It could have been anybody, Maxwell was playing in game 2 because JM needed “more speed” and he dropped Metro.  How long did Maxwell get to play?  If you are not going to use the guy, why do you dress them.  Every succesful team in the NHL gets 7 to 10 minutes of solid ice time for their 4th liners, they don’t expect to play 20 minutes of hockey, 7 minutes is good enough, what are we doing about that?

By making my comment focus on “Darche” only, you are not doing my point any justice.

10. mike g says:

Congratulations to the NHL…

You have once again managed to screw up something great. You released awesome, superb commercials about the Stanley Cup playoffs this year. They highlighted great moments in the history of this sports. Ray Bourque’s Cup win, Patrick Roy, Bobby Orr, etc….

But now, it’s seriously too much. Today, a commercial came out with MA Fleury making a save vs the Habs last night. R u serious? History will not be made with that save. Cammalleri’s commercial is garbage too. I love the guy and the Habs, but wtf…Halak’s commercial did mean something, it made history. It was a game 7 win in maybe the most unexpected come-from-behind series victory in postseason history. That was history. Datsyuk’s commercial, well alright. It was game 7, so I guess if you really want to make one that’s enough of a reason.

Joe Pavelski did not make history. Kris Versteeg did not make history. Neither did Cammy or Fleury in our series now. Great job NHL, you’ve made a joke of something great once again.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

11. zak says:

JM says the shifts were too long. Well what do you expect when you spend all your time in you’re own zone. The players can,t just jump off the ice after 45 seconds. When you only get 9 shots in 2 periods means the puck wasn’t down in the pens zone too much. If we would stop just dumping the puck out and start making plays with the puck at least we’d have posession and the pens couldn’t score.How can you score if you don’t have the puck

12. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2. we play with energy, we play with Subban in Markov’s place (for now) – Pk could have been with us since the Olympics, but nevermind that.

A possible explanation of why Darche was dressed and did NOT play.

why was he dressed? because he was a logical choice over maxwell and SK

why he didn’t play? because he was ill, or somewhat injured.

they wanted to have him on the bench for an emergency only, but really, at game time, it was decided he should not really play.

I have seen that before.

Isn’t  that possible??

13. Chris says:

Please…you know how many times Mike wrote that the Kostitsyns were done last season?  Mike writes his blogs off the cuff.  He would be the first to tell you that.

If it was written in one of his columns in the Gazette, then I would give it more credence.  But I take Mike’s blogs as the postings of a fan watching the game, which can explain a lot of the other themes that creep into his blog that would NEVER show up in print in the Gazette.

If I see something from Dave Stubbs, Red Risher or Pat Hickey IN PRINT, then I give it credence.

But those jackals at La Presse are idiots that seek scandals for sales.  Couldn’t care less about what those morons write.  And yes, some of them are undoubtedly excellent journalists, but as long as they write for that garbage rag, I couldn’t be bothered to read what they have to say.

Like I said before, I don’t doubt that Sergei Kostitsyn will leave in the off-season…he is desperate to get away from Jacques Martin.  And I couldn’t blame him one bit.  That demotion you mention was nothing more than a public humiliation of a player…you do realize that Sergei couldn’t actually physically report to Hamilton at the time anyways, because the Bulldogs were not even on the continent?  What is the purpose of demoting one of your top young prospects when he’s going to sit on his rear end for a few days waiting for the Bulldogs to get back?  Why not demote him with the rest of the Hamilton-bound players when the Bulldogs came back into town a few days later, saving some humiliation for one of your only NHL-calibre forward prospects?

There was a lot of malice in what Martin did to Kostitsyn.  Whether that is justified or no is a different conversation, and one that I’m not particularly interested in starting because I have no facts with which to debate.  But you can pretty clearly see why the player was furious.

And the notion that players do as they are told is long-gone in the NHL, which is more than ever a player driven league.  Players and their agents hold far more power than ever before…teams can not afford to play hardball out of principle if they hope to maximize the value of their assets, either for their future development or for their potential trade value should the team deem it necessary to make a change.

14. 123456 says:

you raise good points – best of all is confidence…. but alas i will try to support ther team and the coach best i can. i do not really think the habs will win the cup this year…. heck i did not give them a chance against the caps or the pens… but IF (big IF) they win game four i’m be a happy dude.  i wont even mention what happens IF the habs get past the pens because for now thereis only one game on teh schedule – thursday baby!!

secret mod

15. ed lopaz says:

I think you are right. I think that someone behind the bench will make sure JM adjusts.

Muller is on top of everything back there.

Muller is an excellent hockey guy.

I think we will adjust.

They tried for the knockout punch in the first period, and except for some great saves, we would have had it.

16. MikeL says:

You’re hating the coach for a ridiculously stupid reason. If what he does works, what in the heck is the difference if a career minor leaguer is benched? Seriously. Darche is an okay grinder, but he was exposed in the Washington series. He’s a very marginal NHLer. He does what he does well, but when the going gets tough, his skills don’t allow him to be as effective as usual.

Darche reminds me of Steve Begin, without all the banging and hitting. Darche knows what he has to do, which is why Martin liked him, but sometimes his skills don’t allow him to do what he wants. Darche, like Begin, doesn’t have a very good “stick”, and sometimes struggles to clear the zone. This is the polar opposite of a guy like Tom Pyatt, who lacks the jam of a Darche or Begin, but he has a great stick, and can clear the zone with ease.

So, there’s much worse you could be raggin on a coach about. Claiming he should be fired for not playing a 4th liner is laughable.

17. tanhaa says:

Don’t think I have ever said he is the best coach in the world.  I have had the same opinion for a long time, we need to get rid of this coach.  Coach has Muller to help him.  If anything, Muller is just Awesome.

18. ed lopaz says:

I know one thing for certain. Sergei was sent to Hamilton and refused to report.

When you play for the Habs, unless there is a miraculous turnaround in your attitude, you do NOT show up the organisation like that.

The 3 Amigos were run out of town because of their selfishness. The Habs have a short fuse.

When SK returned to Montreal he played well at times, and poorly other times.

Now he is not played at all.

When Mike Boone starts to write in his blog that a player is done, he is getting his info from very high up – people that are “in the know”.

Red Fisher, Francois Gagnon, Mike Boone, these guys follow the team for a living.

Sergei is done.

The Habs are trying to give Andrei a chance – as seen by his ice last night.

And to Andrei’s GREAT CREDIT – I thought he had some excellent moments of intense hockey last night.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

The 1st period was great, the problem was the top two lines don’t have the kind of energy needed to maintain that over 60 minutes, nor should they be expected to have it. Penguins come back and hit the Canadiens with 4 lines, we’re back at them with maybe 3 tops. It gives them an advantage, their star players are more rested on a more consistent basis.

The game could’ve been won, but the backing off and offensive domination by the Pens over the 2nd and most of the 3rd period did the team in. Team can’t keep shooting for the early lead and expect to get one, they will face goalies ‘in the zone’ as much as Halak has been and they’ll need to press harder. We’ve had the short bench too often lately and it’s catching up with our best players, we all can see they’re doing everything possible to make something happen but they’re just spent by the end of the game unfortunately in some cases.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. tanhaa says:

I have no issues using our top two lines when we are down a goal, but when we are NOT down a goal, do you really want to tire the hell out of your top two lines and not play the players at your disposal?

You are killing the confidence of these players by not playing them, you are making them feel inadequate.  I mean, you dress a guy up and you sit him?  What the hell did you dress him up for? I would like to see where Darche made mistakes.  The first Pens goal in game 2 was not his fault, more like AK letting his player (Cooke) go, after the faceoff, passes like that can happen, Darche was not alone on ice and if you bench him because of that, there is no justification.  JM may be a good coach, and whether we win the cup or not, I sincerely think he needs to make way for another coach in our team that can nurture talent, the young talent that we have.

Hamrlik made mistakes, did he not subsequently get to play a lot more?  Sure he was benched the next game, only a few shift in the third period, but then he was put on ice more and more.  If you started benching players after eveyr mistake they make, we would have no body playing on ice.

So what if tomorrow, Pens score because of PK, you gonna bench him for the rest of the game?  Is MAB not playing a lot more than before (as we don’t have any more defensemen) despite being -10 in the series?

Ridiculous.  The coach has personal issues against SK and Darche.  He needs to man up and accept the roles players can play and let them play it.

21. boris420 says:

One day he’s the best coach in the world…the next day we want him gone. Our fans are pathetic and no wonder every other teams fans hate us!

22. MikeL says:

It wasn’t Gorges’ stick. It was Gionta’s. Gorges was the guy standing next to Crosby when he looked up, so he assumed it was Gorges.

23. Kooch7800 says:

Clang…nail on the head.  AK isnt much better unoftunately.  Plays great for a short time period and then takes a vacation and won’t go into the hard areas like in front of the net.  He has the size and can hit he just doesn’t do it.

24. Chris says:

You have a snowball’s chance in the Sahara of getting Dave Stubbs, Pat Hickey or anybody else to verify wha the players think.  Not because they don’t know, but because the Gazette sports policy has historically been to not cite “anonymous” players.  I have zero respect for Francois Gagnon for running that crap, and any player that he is citing for not having the courage to actually say it aloud if they want it to get out into the media.

If it was an off-the-record comment, shame on Francois Gagnon for reporting it.  Given his affiliation with La Presse, I have almost no respect for him anyways after the character assasination piece last year.  The Kostitsyn’s were cleared by the police, but La Presse still ran with it hoping that scandal would sell.  It did, but at the cost of any shred of journalistic integrity.  The days after that “scandal” broke were some of the darkest days in the history of the franchise:  everybody was apologizing as if the two kids had murdered somebody, only for us to find out they were guilty of nothing more than having made a really bad choice in who they hung out with.  And if you think they are the only ones, try reading around the web about some of the posses that some other pro athletes hang out with…it is far more common than people think.

As for Muller, he is the “good cop” to Jacques Martin’s “bad cop”.  On almost every NHL team, there is an assistant coach that acts as the go-between for the players and the head coach. That assistant is usually on good terms with the players, and is often a former player himself.  This comraderie is part of the reason why assistant coaches that fulfill that role can rarely make the jump to the head coach position for the same team.  Dave Lewis, who the players loved as an assistant coach for the Scotty Bowman coached Red Wings teams of the late 1990’s, was a terrible coach in Detroit because he couldn’t pull off the transition from player advocate to head coach, where you have to make really tough decisions.

That being said, I think that many head coaches, Martin and Carbonneau being the most recent examples, COULD communicate with the players a bit more.  The NHL is a player-driven league now…non-communication is a quick way to the firing line as your team will quit on you.

25. Le Jadester says:

Not allowed to question a coach ?  Why Cause JM is God ? Perhaps in some people’s minds.  He has alot more to go before he gains that status.  If you believe in him, than by all means continue believing and I’ll support y’all. If you are content with going a couple of rounds in the playoffs, that’s cool too.  But I for one am not happy unless a cup is raised, and IMO I find the odds are against us with the way the coach is going about his business.  If he conducted his business a little differently than mabey I wouldn’t question him so much (which I beleive every fan has a right to). He isn’t a hockey Head coach for me….he’s a coach that tries to stop the other team from scoring, he would probably be a better special teams guy or a tournament style coach, but not 4 best of 7 series Coach IMO. He takes things to personal and is too old for the new game.  If it wasn’t for the old boys club he’d probably be unemployed.

As for me being a horrible coach……….you are probably right.  I won’t be quitting my day job anytime soon and if I ever did coach a hockey team it would be my first time.  I’ve never played the game but I love watching it (i.e. the Habs, The Knights and Team Canada) more than anything !

That’s all I’ve got.

Habs, OLE !

26. 123456 says:

shortening the becnch work in games 6 and 7 right? and IF the habs had scored instead of the pens early in the third last night and then won … well you know…. i do not understand the hatred toward the coach. what if the fourth line plays 10 mins and gives up 3 goals… is that better? these are all IF because neithor you nor I or the coach knows for sure what would happen….. i do know if i am down by a goal i am going to use my first and second lines till they are exhausted because that gives me a better chance to win.

this is the playoff – everygame must be played like it is the last if it is close.

secret mod

27. ed lopaz says:

Serious Fan – you know that JM is not working alone back there. If the team was gassed, Muller would be picking that up.

If you are right, and the 3 lines can not continue, I am sure the team will adapt.

I thought we had some great chances last night. We could have won that game 2, 3 or evne 4-1.

We killed them in the first period but could not finish the job.

I thought we had our share of chances throughout the game- even though we had only 18 shots, there were at least 5 or 6 EXCELLENT scoring chances.

But, if the team is tired, I am confident you will see a 4th line play about 8 or 9 minutes.

28. Chris says:

I know which one I believe in.

Jean Perron also won a Stanley Cup.  So has Bob Hartley.  Just because a team wins doesn’t mean the coaching is automatically good.  Sometimes the players win despite their coach.  :)

29. 123456 says:

yes crybasby got hit in the head but he was falling down while crashing the front of hte net – it’s just a hoceky play… he has played hockey before right?

secret mod

30. Chris says:

The funny thing about this is that the same thing was said last year about Sergei and Andrei Kostitsyn, especially after the “story” about their “mob connections”.  The fact that more BS about Sergei Kostitsyn is being reported by Francois Gagnon, who works for the same rag that published that crap last year (the Kostitsyns were cleared by the police and were guilty of nothing more than having a disreputable friend) lends me to file it in the entirely uninteresting department.

Until Sergei Kostitsyn, Andrei Kostitsyn and any other member of the team are traded out of town, nobody here knows squat about where their future lies.  I also think that Sergei is probably on his way out of town because he and Jacques Martin seem to loathe one another, but I certainly wouldn’t go so far as to claim that I know anything.

31. 123456 says:

ok SK lovers (and yes i am a supported of Sk)

if you told your kid NOT to touch brealable items in a store and they did touch and break one would you bring that kid back to that store again…. well if you gave your kid another chance and yet again they touched and broke an item on a different day…. would you brng tham back a third time?… sooner or later they need ot learn the message or the situation needs to be avoided.

while i would like to see SK shine, he is not doing what he has been asked and now it appears JM is “avoiding the situation” in my example above.

now i am not bashing SK, there is nothing more i would like than to see hte brothers K on the same line and each pot a goal or two…. but not going to happen

secret mod

32. Chris says:

From the camera, I thought he DID get hit by a stick while lying on the ice…haven’t watched the replays too carefully, but it certainly looked like Gorges’ stick accidentally hit him.  It can’t really be called a high-stick when you are lying on the ice though, and it was accidental, so there was no big deal.

33. tanhaa says:

I want this coach gone.  Really.  I don’t understand him.  What the heck is his problem with Darche?  Forget SK.  I was disappointed that SK was not playing at all or he was benched constantly, seems more like a personal issue with JM than anything else but Darche?

The same guy that JM touted as being an intelligent player during the season, used him in key situations, PK, PP, the guy who came and gave our team some energy when we needed it, goes in front of the net, battles in the corners, he doesn’t play him a single shift?  WTF is this?

Why dress a guy if you are going to sit him all day?  Seems like something to do to just piss the K brothers off.

This coach needs to go, I dont’ care whether we made it to the second round, doesn’t matter if we go past the Pens, this coach is not going to be good for our young players, his system, whatever it is, sucks as he can’t even get proper ice-time from his fourth-liners.  He can’t expect to win a cup by shortening his bench, one game, fine, two games, fine, but every game?  You are going to tire your first two lines miserably and they won’t have any juice left in them come the end of the game, when you need them to play 60 minutes in a game, not 10, not 20.

Someone ask JM what the heck is his problem?

34. Marty says:

I wrote in a post yesterday that team 990 reported that the team (players) were fed up with SK regarding his nonchalant attitude and the team supposedly pulled a mutiny on him, not wanting to see his gloomy face anywhere near the dressing room or ice.

Supposedly the players… Fired him?

35. ed lopaz says:

I don’t need a direct line to the PG.

The whole town knows it.

Every reporter. Every fan. Everyone except a few of you guys on HIO.

I have seen this happen before – and when a young guy with talent is benched over and over, its because the coach AND THE GM have agreed that the player is no longer in their current or future plans.

Hopefully, for the Sergei fans out there, he will end up in a hockey hotbed like Sunrise Florida, where he will score 25 goals a season for a team that never makes the playoffs.

Florida would be perfect for Sergei!!

36. TripleX says:

Did not realize you have a direct line to PG?  Is he still planning to trade Halak?  LOL

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

37. SensFanSpezza says:

Hmmm…did you ever stop to think that perhaps, just maybe, he’s playing a different role in this series?  Plekanec, if you haven’t noticed, has been matched against Crosby pretty regularly.  He actually stole the puck from Crosby in game two to set up the Cammalleri game winner.  And you’ll notice Crosby hasn’t been doing much either.  That’s because he’s battling Plekanec on every shift.

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Crosby’s a whiner, but a very good one. He has to constantly practice so he is in game-shape for game 4 when he whines to the officials so much that they call a penalty just to shut him up.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. keepthefaith says:

Listening to team 990. They keep playing this clip of Crosby in kind of a saucy tone asking a reporter… Did you see what happened at the end of the period? Josh Georges stick hit me in the head!

What a fckin liar,and a pussy. Does he know there are cameras now?

40. ed lopaz says:

SK is done in this town – live with it.

It takes more than talent to play for the Habs – and I’m glad that we are building a team around guys who care.

41. SeriousFan09 says:

Because our top two lines are gassed by the 3rd period. The short bench is not holding up right now and it’s not going to work any better as we go further into the series. You need extra legs to take up some time by other forwards and give your top players some chances to rest.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

42. TripleX says:

Halak has gotten the team this far along with unbelievable scoring by Cammy.  In the FIVE wins the Habs have, the FIRST STAR in each game was HALAK.

Great coaching or great goaltending?  I know which one I believe in.

43. TripleX says:

Darche has played ONE shift in TWO games.  Is he following the system or is he part of this great system of the genius JM?

If JM is such a genius how do you explain the first round exits of the powerhouse Senators teams, and the fact they made the FINALS only after replacing him.

SK can’t help us?  Thanks for that.  Playing 11 forwards is always a good coaching decision.

44. boris420 says:

Why do you still question his decisions…hasn’t he prove you guys all wrong by getting as far as we have? Your not the coach for a reason!

45. ed lopaz says:

Fellow Habs fans of HIO, can you please put this Sergei lovefest to bed for the rest of the playoffs?

Here is the issue – its very simple.

Sergei is NOT playing the system that Jack Martin has implemented, and the same system that has us playing in May.

The other forwards, who get to play, play the system.

Sergei is either too stupid or too thick headed to play within the team concept.

If the system breaks down, and 1 player ignores it, than we do NOT have the talent to compete against the Pens – and we would not have beaten the Caps either.

Sergei makes 800,000 $ to sit in the press box.

Don’t feel badly for him.

And he can NOT help us now.

He is NOT even that great a hockey player. He’s talented – but he’s not nearly as talented as Semin on Washington who is exactly the same type of selfish player.

Many teams have players that care about themselves over the team interests.

Sergei is not being permitted to do this on Jacques Martin’s team – and we are winning nicely without him.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

So, will it be Maxwell’s turn on Thursday to sit on the bench in full equipment? Someone ask JM if he would bother dressing 18 skaters if league rules didn’t require it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

47. wotever says:

The gill clip is pointing at Plex : http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideout-files/2010%20May%205%20Canadiens%20practice/R09_0002.MP3 might work.

You’ll have to speak up – I’m wearing a towel.

48. TripleX says:

Gill was trying out new skates dude!  OMG….Gill is playing better than I could believe possible but this adulation is bordering on the ridiculous.

49. munch17 says:

Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to dress someone and not play them . Unless the player is a goon with a few screws missing.

Big George could sit on the bench and not play – but he is like Ferdinand the bull he smells the flowers.

Next year I would like a ? Nielson ? Conboy to sit on the bench and not play or go on the ice for 30 seconds and rub Cookes face or take out Gonchor. Isn’t that what other teams do?

50. mbplekfan says:

I think that Gill is showing the leadership and dressing room presence that Gainey wanted and is trying to give the black aces a shot in the arm.

I am concerned about JM’s use of Sergei. We all know the kid has attitude and maturity issues but this kid is an asset that needs to properly managed and nurtured. All Jm is doing is pissing the kid off and subsequently affecting his brother’s play. Why in the world he would waste an asset is beyond me.

As for Maxwell and Darche…Maxwell is not developing in any sort of a timely manner. His career is stalled at the AHL level and keeping him up with the big club is not helping either the team or Ben.  Darche meanwhile is a career minor leaguer with no upside, no toughness and no leadership ability. When lack of depth is metioned these two are the symptoms of the problem.

51. habs_fan101 says:

Yeah I was hoping…hahah

Do you believe?

52. dudurules says:

sk = grabovski

53. Habs Proud says:

Great post, I can’t argue with any of it. Sergei probably deserves a fair ice time chance, hard to prove yourself with 3 shifts a game on the fourth line or from the press box, but perhaps the playoffs isn’t the time probably should have done it during the regular season and made a decision either he stays and contributes or he is gone by now. I guess Darche is just a line up filler, hard to believe we can’t dress someone who can contribute even a little bit. Good comment about Muller, looks like he gives a rats a**, and he survived the 2009 blow up, maybe he can coach this team someday.

54. BJ says:

Its a tradition in Montreal not to recognize talent and an even greater one to not be able to adapt to youth. So we bring up for a few years, piss them off and trade them for peanuts and in some cases watch them bloom elsewhere. I like SK74 but the coaches ego may not allow him to find a positive way to deal with him. Also treating Metropolit and Darche poorly. Especially with what Metro has brought to this team since his trade from Philly. I’d be surprised if he chooses to re-sign here.

55. mike g says:

If I was the cook on duty……

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

56. terrygain says:

Other than the second half of your last sentence your comment is quite valid. As a fan you have a right, indeed in this case a duty, to elevate it to  a complaint. We can’t win with 2.5 -3 lines.

57. habs_fan101 says:

Went to Schwartz’s for lunch today…Saw the a couple of pens players…hopefully they ordered extra speck.

Do you believe?

58. habs_fan101 says:

Do you believe?

Ok, so we have a split in games on the road and a split at home, no big deal. I hope people didn’t think we were going to take them in 5 games. Great series so far and I am having fun watching.

This is just a comment not a complaint.  I can’t for the life of me understand Jacques thinking behind the bench.

First of all he has a fantastic fore check going in the 1st period. Why not keep it going in the second. Instead he abandons that style of play to play the dump in game with a 1,2,2 defensive trap in the second, letting Pittsburgh off the ropes.

We took two stupid penalties late in the 2nd because of fatigue to playing only 2 lines mostly and the 3rd line very seldom with no 4th line at all.

In the 3rd our best players had fried legs and could not muster up enough. 18 shots is not nearly enough pressure to win in this league. Defensively we played a great game, but when the time came to turn on the offence, our legs were done like dinner. Needs to play the whole bench or leave them all in the press box.

He has done well to date, but if Martin wins this series playing this style, I will be surprised, but I will be one of his biggest backers if he can pull it off.

60. KenD29 says:

Yes, question was this series which is now 3 games.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

61. RiverviewCanadien says:

To Hickey et all.

Is it fact that the team does not like Sergei? I mean he is young, everyone knows that and he might have an attitude issue, but most young rich guys do 😉 Hey Price had issues with Markov not too long ago right?

You have to give certain players more ice time to produce, and on a consistent basis. Crosby played over 22 min and had 1 shot and was +1. One shot by the best player in the league in the playoffs? I am sure Sergei would have at least 1 shot for 10 min of play (and his passes have been great, go youtube it or something, we know we’ve all seen it…no ice time = waste of talent). Andrei was showing signs last night and should have played a lot more than 11 min.

Is Jack the problem, not entirely but…

I find it strange and a little worrisome how Jack coaches his players. Some questions/thoughts.

• Why dress Darche (who impressed in regular season) and sit him for the game?
    • Why is Sergei NOT playing? (see question to the journalists). He has MORE skill than anyone on the 4th line.
    • Why are there only 3 lines every night?
    • Why is Sergei NOT playing?
    • Why is it I usually only see Muller talking to the players and not Jack or Perry? (maybe I am just missing it…)
    • Why is Sergei NOT playing?

In the end, Habs can still do this, I believe in them.
    GO HABS GO!

62. nunacanadien says:

Didn’t Pleks win a few games for us against Washington?  Didn’t Pleks score some game winning goals then?

63. terrygain says:

Not only is it not fair to Darche, it’s unfair to the team to play with 2.5 lines. Metro played 5 minutes  total last night and Moen played only 2 shifts in the 3rd period.

I too like Darche, however he is now firmly ensconced in JM’s doghouse.  In game 2 against W, with the score 4-1, MD had an uncharacteristic brain cramp. His soft backhanded clearing attempt  led to W’s second goal and the beginning of our collapse.

In game 2 of this series he failed to contain his man, or the puck, off the face off  on his first shift, which  resulted in  Pittsburgh’s first goal.

SK 74 was plus 2 in the 6-3 loss to W in game 4. In game 5 he played 3 minutes and hasn’t played since W scored at the end of a 1:31 shift.

Montreal has a coach who doesn’t give young players a chance to recover from their mistakes. The astute fan realizes this approach does not bode well for the future of this team under this coach.

64. boris420 says:

Honestly I will not question anything coach does simply because it works. Me and many others like you have criticized him in the past and he shut most of us up once playoff time came…just not you apparently. You still feel the need to question his decisions and I think you would be a horrible coach! And honestly when it comes down to it if the other players don’t want him it’s out of the coaches hands.

65. KenD29 says:

Pretty hard to win games with only 1 player scoring goals.

And I keep finding myself coming back to Plecanec’s comment after last season’s playoff exit about playing like a girl.

UFA at the end of the season. Not so sure I would be willing to pay him over $5 million.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

66. Chris says:

He’s been pretty ice cold this round.  But so has Crosby, so I guess that it works out in our favour in the end.

67. KenD29 says:

Re team mates on SK74… Francois Gagnon made mention, he would not say “who”. But it would not be hard to figure out.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

68. habs001 says:

i think we will give  a good effort in the next few games but our lack of scorers will catch up with us …to win the score will have to be 2-1  or 3-2…too many forwards with no goals or one goal after 10 games…we did finish around 23rd in scoring. right now we have 2 forwards who can bury their chances camm and gion..gomez is a passer and plecks also plus he does not have the jump in him on offense…the rest of the forwards are not finishers ..ak46 is a question mark and pouliot looks like he is back to his minnesota production days

69. KenD29 says:

Is it just me, but what has Plecanec done so far this series?!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

70. Le Jadester says:

I’m wondering who on the team doesn’t want SK 74 and publicly stated that ?

As well, If SK 74 didn’t do a thing about his benching and said nothing……..what message would that send  ? For me it would say that he doesn’t care and he already has a “plan b” with his agent  Again, say what you want about him but I think him being pissed off about all this shows that he wants to play. Its pretty evident that the reason he isn’t is because the man with all the power doesn’t like him. And that’s fine, if he doesn’t suit JM’s system. But this is my biggest problem with Habs management (i.e. JM) is the way we devalue our assets because of things gettin’ to be personal.  Right up until the last two games of the season everything was cool with SK until JM cracked and started the benchin’ spree.  We could’ve gotten a return on him or even AK 46 up unitl recent developments, but instead, JM gets emotional and personal ? Not good asset/liability management IMO on his part. Yes he’s getting results but they are short term results with narrow minded policies and again that all means squat until you hoist a cup.

Habs, OLE !

71. KenD29 says:

Problem is simple with SK74, he lacks it between the EARS!

And even his team mates do not want him around any longer!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

72. boris420 says:

Not much coach could do about sergei’s case. If the team don’t want him, I don’t want him either!

73. Norcal Habsfan says:

Good game last night but weird. It was the first time during the playoffs or maybe the season for that matter that the opposing team came into the game with a defensive strategy as a gameplan against our Habs. Probably hard to do whe you have Sid and Malkin on the bench. They are showing Cammy and the boys some respect. A lesson the Caps should have learned in the first round. We still got our chances to win however and Fleury came up big. It won’t last, he had horseshoes up his ass with that crossbar on Laps.

I’ll say again, Gomez nice facewash on Sid. Best moment of the game. I hope your gloves are as foul as mine.

74. TheIndian says:

I have been so disappointed and pissed off with the way JM has used certain players on the team.  Not dressing them is fine, I can live with that (but please don’t tell me Maxweel brings more to the team than SK does) but if you do dress them up, USE them.  I have loved the way Darche has played this year for Canadiens and to dress him up only to sit in a corner is just SO UNFAIR.  I wonder at times, what goes through JM’s f***ing head.  I mean as a coach you have to make best use of what you have and Darche has only brought positivity and hard work to the team.  Ok so now we all know, JM has some kind of bone with SK but what did Darche do now to get bechned for whole 60 minutes.  I don’t care how far Montreal goes this season through playoffs but this coach (who was SUPPOSED to be great for young players) has to go if we want our young players to be good and get confidence in themselves.