Gill: “It’s just a cut,” hopes to play Game 6

Canadiens defenceman Hal Gill spent the night in Pittsburgh, having left Game 5 with a cut to his leg when accidentally stepped on by Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz early in the third period.

Gill was seen at the Pittsburgh airport an hour or so ago with Canadiens doctor David Mulder, bound for Montreal this morning. He told Ottawa Sun colleague Chris Stevenson, “I hope to play (Monday), it’s just a cut.”

That’s good news for the Canadiens, who will need Gill’s strong defensive game and shot-blocking if they hope to stave off elimination at the Bell Centre.

More news to come later today from Brossard, where Herb Zurkowsky will be on hand for comment following the team meeting and media availability.

1. smiler2729 says:

It seemed like the Habs were more worried about not letting the Pens score than actually scoring themselves…

2. HabFanSince72 says:

People are optimistic because of the 2-1 score, but as far as I could tell Pittsburgh were in control from start to finish. It never looked like we were going to win that game.

We have difficulty scoring because only Cammy and Gionta can really put the puck in the net with any sort of consistency. Our D-men have been outstanding at defending but they don’t contribute to the attack. Pleks, AK46 and Pouliot are not scoring – although I thought AK46 and Pleks did generate some chances. Pyatt, Lappy, Moore, Darche, Metro all try hard, but they don’t have the skill.

The defensive style is misleading. It leads to low scoring games fooling you into thinking you are skating with the other team.

3. HugeHabsFan says:

Or a la carte? LOL!

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

4. HugeHabsFan says:

No way it’s our last game Bugs.

5. Precisionist says:

Lemaire’s slapshot, and I could have sworn that Esposito ducked.

6. punkster says:

Not our last game yet. Still at least 10 to go. Gotta believe.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

7. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Haha, Classic!

8. 100HABS says:

I just watched the highlights of the game – being kinda drunk last night I forgot parts. Two things stand out – the number of chances Camalleri got were amazing – that game certainly could have gone either way. Fleury was a difference maker.

The most important thing: Crosby can’t even score into an empty net! Gotta admit, I loved seeing that last night.

9. Bugs says:

It was a sock designed for you not to get cut by the TEAM, supposedly made you play better.

Sergei didn’t wanna wear’em.

Got cut.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

10. Bugs says:

Ever notice at the end of a game where you HAVE to score, you always get that ONE chance?

Cammy had it.

Oh! I keep reliving it. He HAD it! Argh!

Still, hell of a display by the Boys; really proud of’em. Tomorrow’s our last game? Cheers, fellas.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

11. wmarcello says:

Wasn’t there an article on Habs I/O a few months back talking about a new style of hockey sock that is cut-resistant? Are the Habs wearing these yet?

12. Shublips says:

Again, I was not impressed by the Pens.  They looked slow and tired.  The Habs did not get enough bodies to the net and did not win battles to loose pucks and rebounds.

THAT is why they lost and not just because Fleury was great.  Habs made his life easy!

Habs can win, Monday and force Game Seven. Go Habs Go!

Having Gill back will be huge.  I also expect either or both Markov and Spacek to go.

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

13. jimmy shaker says:

Ditto for me…..I hated Gill for pretty much the whole year.  It wasn’t until the last 2 months that my stance has changed and am so glad he’s on this team!

Cheers for Gill and Crow a la mode……whatever that means!

Shaker

14. Ton says:

brother this is the best confession i have seen on habs in and out. Hats off to you your a man unlike other “some” cowards on this site that don’t know hockey. good for you.  any others want to come out of the closet. do it now, we forgive you.

15. HugeHabsFan says:

This is good news.  I have a feeling though, that even if it was more, they’d have a really hard time keeping Gill out of the game. ;o)

16. HugeHabsFan says:

I give every one of you credit.  It takes character to come back and publicly admit you were mistaken.

We all have our opinions about the players and management etc.  It’s all good!  But really – good on all of you.  That’s what truly makes this place my favorite Habs hangout on the ‘net. :o)

GO HABS GO!!!!!!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

17. pov says:

longtimehabs fan, I hope the 2010 movie has the same ending as the one in 1971.  What a thriller that was I remember it well.  As I recall, while the Habs were only down 3-2 in the game, the Hawks had a significant edge in the play and Espo was stopping everything.  If memory serves me right, early in the third, a “candanating” slapper from just over the red line stunned Espo and found the top shelf.  I believe the “Pocket Rocket” later sealed the victory with a brilliant partial brakeaway marker and the Cup was ours again! What a finish…

_____________________________________

“The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.” Samuel Johnson

18. jimmy shaker says:

The gut is telling me that Marky is going to give it a go.  Usually the gut only tells me  “Get something down here, either a bevy or two or some good eats”.  So there it is.

Shaker

19. pov says:

Clay4nc, couldn’t agree with you more, set a table for three will you?  Big Hal clearly learned a thing or two on how to get to Crosby last year.

With regard to AK, just wanted to wish him “Happy Mother’s Day”! What an enigma this guy is!!

I have had it with his girlie play! If he’s not on his butt after losing yet another battle against the wall, he’s missing defensive assignments or taking yet another shot off the mark.  Just imagine where we might be if he had showed up at all for this Pitt series??  We all know he’s a gifted player but he looks to me that he really doesn’t give a s_it.  With the energy and relentless perserverance the Habs have been showing, it boggles my mind how AK has been putting in such a listless effort game in/game out. If he’s playing through some undisclosed injury, I’ll eat my words later … we’ll see.

_______________________________________________

20. derfab says:

I can’t see Markov back. No equipment means he’s weeks away. With good reason, he’s always been very careful about returning from inuries and is most likely just hanging around because he needs treatment and wants to be close to the team.

21. Fansincebirth says:

Can I get a little gravy for mine please? I find the feathers get stuck in my throat when I try to choke it down….

22. Keith says:

Yes, I felt the same about Gomer. All that money for one guy. But, hey, great leadership and heart to go along with skill. Bob knew exactly what he was doing when he brought these guys in.

23. Danno says:

Hal Gill. The Habs’ Black Knight. ‘Tis but a scratch.

God love him.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”