Gill: “It’s just a cut,” hopes to play Game 6

Canadiens defenceman Hal Gill spent the night in Pittsburgh, having left Game 5 with a cut to his leg when accidentally stepped on by Pittsburgh’s Chris Kunitz early in the third period.

Gill was seen at the Pittsburgh airport an hour or so ago with Canadiens doctor David Mulder, bound for Montreal this morning. He told Ottawa Sun colleague Chris Stevenson, “I hope to play (Monday), it’s just a cut.”

That’s good news for the Canadiens, who will need Gill’s strong defensive game and shot-blocking if they hope to stave off elimination at the Bell Centre.

More news to come later today from Brossard, where Herb Zurkowsky will be on hand for comment following the team meeting and media availability.

1. MontrealAtheist says:

I agree on having to be more aggressive on offence, but at the same time we must also give up fewer penalties and do a better job on the PK, if needed. Pittsburgh is ruthless on the PP and all 3 of there wins were aided by a successful execution on the PP.

2. Mad Habber says:

Did you see the rebounds Fleury gives up though? I mean those are huge bounces, if the Habs can get some net presences or heck if they’d shot it on him a little more on some of those two on ones they can certianly score more.

Not that the Pens haven’t played well, it’s just they can be beaten…

3. ManApart says:

I thought Pittsburgh definately had the better opportunities. Halak made a couple of great saves, like the one on Malkin, while Montreal seemed to just shoot from the outside on Fleury, where he would just come out 15 feet cutting down the angles. The feeling among the crowd I watched the game with, is that the Habs were pretty thoroughly outplayed, physically, with puck possession and chances wise.. The score did not reflect the game. It felt like Pitt. was in total control from the 1st shift on.

4. Chuck says:

Oops… double. Just like my Crown and ginger.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

5. avatar_58 says:

Yep. Here in Hamilton too. Car flags everywhere, nods and cheers when I wear my gear. Awesome stuff :)

6. Danno says:

Mara is a surprise. I thought he was out for the playoffs.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

7. Chuck says:

Gill will play, if only to lie down in front of the net and stay there.

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

8. kempie says:

I’ll bet he plays. Gill? I dunno but I’d bet that 79 plays tomorrow in a limited role.

9. says:

As long as MAB isn’t on D anymore I’m good!

10. Danno says:

Tons of effort.

It pays off.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

11. HabFanSince72 says:

There’s a 5-minute video of Markov skating on

He doesn’t look all that comfortable.

12. Ghosts of the Forum says:

If Spacek and Gill can both play, I say sit AK46, move Lapierre on to the top line, Moen on the second line and MAB on the fourth with Metro and Pouliot

13. Morocco says:

Hal Gill, Duh.

14. Ghosts of the Forum says:

He has been asked by Martin to play against the Ovechkin and then the Crosby lines….I’d say he’s doing a fairly good job and picking up some points along the way.  His work on our number one PK unit has been fairly bloody good too.  Martin has asked him to play a role and he has done it with no griping at all.  Gill and Gorges deserve a lot of credit for shutting down the big guns, but Pleky has played a lot of minutes against them too.

Pouliot and AK have to get going.

15. Storm Man says:

Markov was skating with a brace, Mara was in full equipment

16. sprague cleghorn says:

Yours too! πŸ˜‰

17. Ghosts of the Forum says:

what a fantastic avatar!

18. sprague cleghorn says:

Went to a big community fair in T.O. yesterday and the bleu-blanc-rouge was everywhere.  Never saw so much Habs gear in one spot in Toronto in my life.  Constantly getting thumbs up on my hat or jersey and honks of appreciation for the car flag.

This thing ain’t over yet.

19. deggy24 says:

The Habs played well last night, give that game to Fleury. I’m, as usual, apopletic about our dump and change, give up posession and ice, philosophy. Last night 20 seconds into a PK shift, Pleks has a one on one with a Penguins defencemen, with half a sheet of ice to work with. He dumps and comes off, and within 10 seconds they are applying pressure in our zone. We do it 5 on 5 all the time as well. There has to be a better way to play, whether it be with increased player conditioning or an innovative way to change players without giving up huge territory. The Pens are nowhere as good as the Caps, and we can win this thing. I’m going to be concerned if Marky plays at 60%. I hope Gill is 90%, he has been our second most valuable player this post season, an awesome performer in these games. Full credits to OB, Gorges, and PK as well. Hammer has been pretty good too. The lion is the room is Malkin, we need to continue to frustrate him. Thought the refs were okay last night except for missing the hold/trip of our defenceman 10 seconds into a PP that they later scored on. The perp was Crosby I think.

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Shameless, pathetic draft tanking.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s 3-2 against arguably the best team in the East – but we are showing a lack of effort?

Pleks I admit could be scoring more but he is playing pretty well.

22. ManApart says:

Agree with you on all points.

23. HabFanSince72 says:

How did the Pens make it to the last two Cup finals, winning one of them?