Gill re-signs with Habs

HalGillBlues

Defenceman Hal Gill will be back with the Canadiens for one more season, RDS is reporting on its website.

The veteran blue-liner has signed a one-year contract with the Canadiens that is worth $2.25 million.

Gill, 36, is nearing the end of a two-year contract he signed with the Canadiens in the summer of 2009. In 75 games last season, he had nine points and was a minus-9.

A force when shorthanded, Gill blocked 151 shots and distributed 75 body checks while averaging 19:49 of ice time over the course of the season.

Gill joins Jaroslav Spacek and P.K. Subban as defencemen under contract for next season. Prospects Alexei Yemelin and Raphael Diaz are also signed.

Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier still has a glut of potential free-agent defenceman that include Andrei Markov, Josh Gorges, Roman Hamrlik, James Wiesniewski, Brent Sopel and Paul Mara and Yannick Weber.

1. Sal says:

Great signing. Big Hal way more an asset than his on ice presence. Now. Trade Spacek for a bag of pucks and sign the Wiz. DO IT!!

Sal from the Hammer

2. geo_habsgo says:

Great Signing! We need his leadership and poise to keep the locker room gelling. Good job PG!

3. petefleet says:

If PG signs Wiz, Markov and Gorges, the Habs will have a very impressive back end. Take into account the injury bug, the new signings this spring should fill those holes nicely as well. Now, if PG can sign some decent forwards (centremen) over the summer, they could go deep next year. The only thing missing this year was a 20-25 goal scorer in Gomez’s spot on the second line. Take his minutes in the playoffs and give them to any one of the available centremen in the system and Boston would have gone down. (I like to think)

***Habs Forever***

• Chorske says:

Markov will get at least the same money he is making now, $5 million. Gorges is due a hefty raise, as he has emerged as our most reliable stay-at-homer. He’ll be looking at $3 million. I don’t see how it would be possible to sign Wiz AND keep the essentials up front (Pacioretty, White, Kostitsyn, and Desharnais IMO) AND still go after “decent forwards”. The cap space simply is not there.

I also disagree that our problem is at center. We’re stacked at that position- Gomez, Pleks, and Eller… and any number of role-players who filled in admirably at that position last year. Our problem is on the wings.

4. G-Man says:

Good to see the Tall One™ back for another year. Markov next, then Gorges and then we see what PG does for the forwards.
    I would let Auld go and bring up either McIntyre or Sanford at 750K or less. I would try to get Laich so there are 3 forwards that all can score 20+ while providing much needed size (AK, Laich, MaxPac).
    To all the naysayers out there, the Habs are not that far away from contending year in and year out, a la Detroit.
    Now, if only the centers could win some bleeping face-offs…

• petefleet says:

I agree and concur.

***Habs Forever***

• habstrinifan says:

I like the way you think… guess it’s because I agree with almost every word you wrote. Except that I am more optimistic. I think with the proper moves PG/JM can GO FOR IT.

The defence (Subban/Gill/Gorges/Markov/Yemelin/Spacke/Weber) and maybe even trade Weber for an ok but mean tough D-MAN.. is in my opinion A level.

Price is at the elite level of goaltenders and will not wilt in the playoffs.
      I AGREE.. relase Auld.. thank him but he doesn’t fit. Either one of the farmhands you suggested or make a more positive move and sign Emery. If PG signs Emery then that would be a great indication that he IS GOING FOR IT.

Laich would be a good pick-up. The holes PG needs to fill are two forwards.. one tough to replace Moen and a scorer to move Gomez off the top 2 lines. If Gomez is playing on the top two line next season then it means our forward lines would still be weak.

So with a tough 5th defenseman in tow and two big forwards one with 25 goals potential and a backup goalie change, this team would be ready for ANY CHALLENGE and with luck of draw (injuries and bounces) could WIN the cup.

If they wait 2 yrs or more from now I think the ‘parity’ in the league would have changed and there would have emerged a powerhouse or two with prohibitive odds to win the cup.

There is ONE BIG CAVEAT. JM must change his system a bit. I think the ‘lay back and defend’ contributes to injuries and it must also be modified to elevate this team from the bottom rungs for 5-on-5 production.

I am pleased with the signing of Gill but if he is in the top 3 of our defense for next year then we are in trouble and JM has not changed his system. Hal Gill’s style cannot drive the defence. Gorges and Subban cannot play like Gill. He has schooled them well in the stay at home defense style but now thos etwo and Markov must force the play more.

One other very very significant caution is the assistant coaching when Muller goes. If you listened to Hal Gill’s interview on team 990.. a lot of it was plain except the part where he said that the ‘dymanics of the team WILL CHANGE with Muller GONE and management MUST address it for next season”. It is an inescapable indication that some of the rumours we hear re the players needing Muller to offset JM is real.
      Those were very powerful words.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

Glad to have Gill in the lineup for another season, his value in the locker room can not be oversold and he’s done a ton for a few key players as a mentor. I suspect MTL will be his final NHL squad, than he’ll retire and MTL can get him to work in their organization.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
    SF09 on Twitter

6. POPS says:

Great signing, provided we can take away some minutes. If I were Pierre (signings in capitals):

FROLOV, Plekanec, Cammalleri
    Pacioretty, Gomez, Gionta
    A.KOSTITSYN, Eller, BERNIER
    Moen, KONOPKA, White

extras: Darche, Pyatt, Desharnais

MARKOV, GORGES
    Yemelin, BABCHUK
    Gill, Subban
    Spacek, Weber

I like the size, scoring, and smarts that Frolov brings. He also played well with Cammalleri in L.A.

Bernier provides some size and strength. He is still young enough to find himself. A. Kostitsyn will always be a 18-25 goal scorer with some sandpaper.

Konopka brings some great faceoff skills and toughness down the middle.

Markov and Gorges are very important signings. Babchuk has a great shot and adds size, youth, and toughness.

• aussiehab says:

wheres pouliot going to be? i’ve always liked his skills and really think he is A) big enough and skilled enough to have a real impact and could be signed for relatively cheap. B) francophone. C) able to accomplish a lot. D) very good trade bait for possible draft prospects and/or a good midseason pickup. just saying, he should still be in the mix to all HIO readers. also, i have been dying to see konopka in a habbies uniform

• SeriousFan09 says:

Frolov is signed in the KHL.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

7. Jim Edson says:

Nothing like that little weasel Buttman to throw water on a parade!

Instead of at least looking a slight bit happy for True North he throws out his threats to the fans in Winnipeg.

What a worm!

BTW Mark Chipman a Canadian, is also a US trained lawyer a former Assistant District Attorney in Florida. Take that Buttman!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

• Clay says:

What threats? I didn’t hear about that…

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

• Jim Edson says:

He threatened the people of Winnipeg that if the arena wasn’t a sellout every night the team would fail again!

———————————————————————-

Who am I: Mohamar Ghadaffi or Gary Bettman.

• Mike D says:

Agreed his comments were poorly timed and in bad taste, but what he said was largely correct and along the same lines as what the True North folks were saying with their “drive for 13″ campaign.

With a capacity of only 15,015 for hockey games, they are the smallest arena in the league and they also can’t justify having super-high ticket prices in a city like Winnipeg. In order for the team to not lose money they will require near sellouts to all their home games.

Since they are aiming for 13,000 season ticket holders on multiple year agreements, is it just me, or is that incredibly high?? It’s almost 87% of their arena! I don’t know what the norm is for other Canadian NHL cities, but I’d be very surprised if it was close to that. To put that in context, it would be like having 18,437 of the 21,273 seats at the Bell Centre be season tickets, meaning only 2,836 non-season-ticket seats would be available for home games. That can’t be right.

– Honestly yours

• HabsFanMTL says:

that threat was because the winnepeg building only holds 15,000 capacity, not 21000 like most of the others

• Bad Digestion says:

He’s just pissed he could not move the Jets to Albuquerque! You cant win em all Bettman :P On a positive note, happy to see the big guy signed up for another season.

• petefleet says:

Bettman is an A..hole. Always has been.
      Query me this…..
      Why would that little worm want a team to stay in a place where you can’t give tickets away rather than go to Winterpeg where Canadian fans will probably pony up for every game?
      In some of the US markets, you can get a family of 4 pack (tickets, food and parking) for $80 TOTAL. You can’t then raise the prices to fill the seats with fans because they aren’t fans of the game, they’re fans of the cheap night out. Raise the ticket prices and that whole block of fans is gone. They don’t have the money to pay more. The southern US is a very depressed economic market, always has been.
      At least in Canada the fans will pay for the tickets. A 3/4 full arena here would bring in twice as much money as a full arena in the US (many markets).

***Habs Forever***

• CranbrookEd says:

Very true that “a 3/4 full arena here would bring in twice as much money as a full arena in the US” . . . as long as our dollar does not once again tank to 60 cents . . . otherwise (I would like to think!) the Expos would still be around . . .

CranbrookEd
        Mr. Beliveau: “Pure Pak mais oui”!

• Chris F says:

Actually, that’s not the case.
          Bettman knows that a team in Atlanta would still have more revenue given the extra television revenue, seat sales are not the key number. Unless your talking about Atlanta having 3,000 people at a game, which has been the case on many occasions. Winnipeg will have little or no television revenue, so selling 15,000 seats each game will be more of a necessity.

• Shmitzy says:

You got it right, Chris. Pay attention here folks because this is why most of you people should hold onto your opinions about this stuff.
            Everyone is SO convinced Winnipeg will work because they are Canadian. Well history has already shown the opposite with this city and its first failure wasn’t solely due to the US$ like many people clearly believe. The new ‘Jets’ will face some problems just as the old one did. 1) The fans there got tired of mediocrity once before and stopped selling out games. 2) Winnipeg will ALWAYS be the last place a player will flat out choose to go to, which means they will be faced with constant mediocrity. 3) See point No. 1
            I’m happy for them just like everyone else is but open your eyes people, you can’t just wish something into success. Winnipeg will face struggles and the fans better be willing to handle them this time.
            It gets frustrating to see good players leave every year and have trouble signing others and that will happen in Winnipeg for sure. Because it has to compete against cities like NYC, LA, MTL, Chicago etc etc etc. Have you ever been to Winnipeg? I have.

8. CHsam says:

We need a shrimp like Lionel Messi to score goals ;)

9. dudurules says:

right on hal!
    I HATE BOSTON!

10. Bill says:

Good signing. At that price we get the perfect complement to PK, one of the best penalty-kill d-men in the league, and solid leadership for another year.

I pity the fool who says this signing prevents the Habs from getting the Wiz. THE HABS WERE NEVER GETTING THE WIZ. He will cash in for way more than he’s worth from another team, and the Habs could not afford him and Markov. Obviously they have decided Markov, and that is fine with me. The Wiz has a great shot and all, but defensively he is pretty suspect, and Yemelin replaces his mean streak … probably upgrades it.

Markov, Gorges, Gill, Subban, Spacek, Yemelin … looks really good to me actually. Weber can play on the fourth line and take the point on the power-play.

Full Breezer 4 Life

• solomio says:

C’mon Bill. Wiz is a fighter. Can duke it out with the best of ‘em.
      Yemy is a boy, not a fighter and I’m pretty sure he’ll be running back to the KHL with his tail between his legs.
      Wiz should be resigned. I’d take him over Gorges anyday

• olematelot says:

First of all Emelin isn’t a boy, he’s 25 and has been playing pro for years. Wiz over Gorges, depends on what you’re looking for, if you want offence then Wiz is the one, if you want a solid shut down, shot blocking great PK Dman then it’s Gorges. Personally I Prefer Gorges.

11. BKAK72 says:

Has everyone noticed the news/sports reporters in Winnipeg are all dressed like it’s mid-January? Oh man. These guys will have a leg up against all those S. Eastern or S/W Pacific teams that pay a visit.

Good to have Gill.

This is a good hockey day.

— HABS INSIDE/OUT R.I.P. –

12. Habitant in Surrey says:

…if I was a Winnipeger I wouldn’t sweat losing my team again for awhile with David Thompson, the 17th most wealthy man in the world as part-owner
    …I can see it now, Reuters pasted on every board
    …THAT should keep some of the troglodite journalist hacks polite for awhile at least

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

13. HaloHabsFan says:

The UFA market this summer for forwards is crap and will be overpriced, we aren’t going to get help we need upfront through the UFA route. The only option to improve our forwards is through a trade and that’ll be hard as well. You have to give up quality to get quality back.

So, given that there aren’t any UFA forwards that can make the difference we need, do you just decide to spend the money on Wiz? It’s tough to commit to that route long term as well.

• naweed235 says:

I would give Laich a try if I were PG… put him on the wing with Pleks and Cammi and Put AK with Eller and Darch… Get a gritty player to play with White and Moen… Hopefully Max will be back where he left off with Gio and Gomez…
      Shouldnt be too shabby of a team once Markov and Georges are signed too

• Mike D says:

So in your scenario you have the forward lines looking like:
        Cammy – Pleks – Laich
        Max-Pac – Gomer – Gio
        Darche – Eller – AK46
        Moen – __X__ – White

So from our current line-up you are excluding: Pouliot, DD, Halpern, and Pyatt. You mentioned “getting” a gritty player for that 4th line so are you acquiring someone new? If so, what do you do with the 4 players you’ve excluded. Who’s the “extra” forward, who goes to Hamilton, who gets traded?

I’m not against getting Laich, but the money would really have to be right…like around 3mil which probably isn’t enough to get him, expecially not in the highest taxed city in the NHL.

– Honestly yours

• naweed235 says:

I would go after Kanopka for that fourth line…Since both are RFAs I would Probably package Pouliot and Pyatt in a deal to get some draft picks… or something else back… Let Halpern Walk … DD is a tricky one honestly… I really like him and I am sure that he could produce good offensive numbers in the NHL … just not sure if Mtl is the right place for him… he needs to play in top 2 minutes or even on an offensive third line… Problem is Gomez, Pleks and Eller have those three spots locked…

• Mike D says:

Konopka would be a good choice for 4th line centre. He excels at faceoffs and on the defensive side of things plus brings good grit and toughness. Essentially he’s a tougher version of Halpern and if we got him, Pyatt becomes more expendable as well.

We must be careful not to over-address the size/grit issue and ignore our lack of scoring though.

DD is a tricky one, that’s for sure. I really like what I saw from him but his lack of size is an issue on our current roster as he’s one of many with that same “problem”. He could bring in good assets via trade but not sure PG wants to do that just yet. He may get even better, or of course he could go the other way and then he wouldn’t be worth much at all for trade bait.

– Honestly yours

• naweed235 says:

I dont know what the status on Artyukhin is but man would I love that guy on our team… big, tough and can play!

14. Mike D says:

SOOOOOO HAPPY about Gill re-signing!!!!! Very underrated by some posters, but glad to see that most on here recognize what he brings.

For those of you who said 2.25mil was too much money, I see your point that something closer to 1.5-2mil would have been better, but a lot of teams would throw under 2mil at him (teams with better weather and lower taxes), so I see it as a way of ensuring he signed with us and is happy. We’re only talking a few hundred thousand difference here anyway so it’s not getting in the team’s way of other signings. For his experience, cup ring, locker room presence and leadership it’s a small price to pay. Gio might wear the C, and nothing against him whatsoever, but I think Gill is the biggest leader on this team cuz he’s much more vocal and also leads by example as Gio does.

I’m hoping he continues his mentorship with PK or starts one with Weber (if he can make his way into the top 6 D) which will hopefully improve his game as well.

– Honestly yours

15. CHsam says:

Gonna throw in my two cents. Im not into the idea of burying players in the minors. Personally I dint think it helps the team, the player in question, or the farm team. Talk about a way to not attract free agents.

Laich? Well …. Is he going to score goals for us? Ak46 may be inconsistent, but he’s still potting a few though he doesn’t deserve a raise. Don’t know his numbers, but if Laich has good numbers then why not?

Wiz…. Would love to have this guy but I don’t know how were going to be able to afford this in the long run if we still need to add forwards

Gill- great signing. I hope he becomes assistant coach one day. That’ll be a nice fit to keep mentoring Subban and Tinordi eventually.

16. Habitant in Surrey says:

…funny about life isn’t it, many were condescending on Laps and Higgy, and Their hockey fates since leaving Our Habs …and here They are …in the Stanley Cup Final …which, of course, We are not
    …same with many things about life, one moment You feel at the end of Your rope …the next, on top of the world
    …especially, to all Our younger Fans …remember ! …Life is the best curve-ball pitcher there is, or was
    …that is, except for Sandy Koufax ! …lol
    …PS: …Vancouver in 6

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

17. CHsam says:

Forgot that Rollie Melanson coaches for Vancouver…. Vigneault, Higgins, Laps, Melanson. ;)

18. petefleet says:

Welcome back Hal !!!!
    So hockey comes back to Winterpeg. That’s good. But it comes with a word of warning from that snide little troll, Bettman. It must be killing him that Canada got another team and his beloved USA lost one. HOHUM. The thing is with hockey , it’s Canada’s game, not the USA’s. When you win the Stanley Cup, you’re not “world champion”. Is it any wonder that the Americans aren’t interested in it? Take the games that survive in almost any market in the States, basketball, baseball, football and lawn bowling. You win it all in the USA and you are “world champion” . I was kidding about lawn bowling. But to only be league champion after a long hard season, it must be very hard for Americans to rationalize that.
    PS: Bettman sucks.

***Habs Forever***

19. mike3131 says:

How about this?

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
    Brooks Laich ($4.166m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
    Max Pacioretty ($1.910m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
    Raffi Torres ($1.500m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Joel Ward ($1.900m)
    Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Zenon Konopka ($0.700m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.800m)

DEFENSEMEN
    Josh Gorges ($4.100m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
    Andrei Markov ($5.200m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
    Hal Gill ($2.250m) / James Wisniewski ($3.800m)
    Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
    Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($0.800m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
    (these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
    SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,238,842; BONUSES: $400,000
    CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $161,158

I think we only really need to carry Weber considering he can play both offence and defence. Without him, we would have 1 M in cap space. This is also assuming we buy out Spacek and lower Markov’s contract.

• TomNickle says:

I might be alone but I think $4 million for Brooks Laich is nonsense.

• Mike D says:

I agree that is overpayment, but he will probably get around that much because of the lack of good UFA forwards this year. As much as we need help at forward, especially with our top 6, this is not the summer to do it via the FA market.

– Honestly yours

• TomNickle says:

Nor I. I would seriously look at inexpensive risks. Gagne, Kopecky, Brunette, Ryan Jones, Chuck Kobasew are just a small group of names I would closely investigate.

Each player here has high upside, little risk and a small price tag in all likelihood.

• Mike D says:

I like Gagne and Kopecky. The knocks I have on them are that I’m not sure Kopecky is real top 6 material, and while Gagne certainly is, he has injury problems every year (an area we struggle with already) and he didn’t play that well this year even when he was healthy.

– Honestly yours

• TheMock780 says:

Ryan Jones signed a 2 year extension with the Oilers this week so scratch him off your list. Gagne will get an extension from Tampa is my guess and if I remember correctly he’s said that he’s not interested in playing in MTL. Kobasew maybe at a low end deal. Brunette is a little old

• mike3131 says:

I think throwing $4 M at him is the only way to guarantee he’ll accept. In a perfect world, I’d be willing to offer him $3 M, but in reality, he would probably ask for $4 M. Consider that we paid AK46 $3.25 M and Laich I think is more valuable than AK.

• TomNickle says:

I don’t think Laich is worth the money. What is he an upgrade on? He may be a small, and I mean very small upgrade on Kostitsyn. But certainly not enough of one to justify overpaying him by $1 million annually on what will probably be a long term deal to be sought after by his agent.

Way more cost efficient options available in this ufa class I think.

Kostitsyn was awarded his contract when he showed the kind of talent that would produce a 60-80 point player. He’s failed to deliver on those expectations while enjoying a fairly productive but inconsistent start to his career.

• Mike D says:

We can’t buyout Spacek. 35+ contracts count against your team’s cap and all you save is 100K. Our only way of avoiding it is via trade.

I like some of your choices for the bottom 6 but I’d put Torres on the 4th line and Darche on the 3rd so Eller has more skilled guys to play with.

Also, 4.1mil I think is way too much for Gorges. Even though he’s excellent defensively, no offensive upside or real physical presence kinda limits him to 3mil, maybe 3.5 tops.

Wiz will get WAY more than 3.25mil.

– Honestly yours

• mike3131 says:

Again, the Habs kind of have to overpay to attract players but if Gorges/Laich and PG can agree on lower deals, I’d be more than glad to take them. (obviously) :) I also think it is unlikely that we would sign Torres but if the ‘Nucks let him test the UFA market, why not sign him.

• Jonson says:

Laich at 4.1m Thats crazy and is he really an upgrade from AK46? i think Ak46 will explode one of these days. I think Joel Ward would be a great pick up. Rest of the fowards look good minus Gomez ofcourse but i think they are stuck with him. Gorges is not worth 4.1m lol he is a very good dman and very important but a player like him is worth no more than 2.5m a year.Markov is a risk he will not make that much money unless its a one year deal. and the Wiz will be asking a lot more than that. he will be looking for 4.5m-5m per year. NO way we will sign him. AND WEBER NEEDS to be in the top SIx probably in the Top 4

• Mike D says:

“Markov won’t make that much money” ???

I think you’re wrong on that one. Look for him to sign something around a 2 year deal for 5.5mil per season. He’ll get at least as much as Wiz gets, and probably a bit more.

I agree with you on Weber but he may have to wait for Spacek’s departure before being a mainstay on our D. Either that or if Yemelin doesn’t work out then Weber can slot in for him. Other than that, he’ll likely have to wait for an injury to make the regular line-up on D.

– Honestly yours

• mike3131 says:

I’m sorry I overpaid Gorges and Laich if it offends you : P, but I’m just thinking about reality and how much $ it would REALLY take to keep Gorges long term, and attract Laich, given our troubles attracting UFAs.
        Do you really think Wiz is worth $4-5 M? I think Gorges has more value than Wiz, even though they play completely different styles. Discuss…
        On a side note, I started a small chat with a crossing guard (wearing a Loafs hat) this morning and apparently he knows someone who met Gorges downtown recently, and said Gorges was still limping… concern?

20. mastro18 says:

Cant we just put spacek in the minors ,even if we have to pay his contract he still gets to play and he can mentor our up and coming defenceman in the AHL then we have enough room for the wiz and he comes off our cap in a year when we have to resign our young guys.

• TomNickle says:

I look at the Hamilton option much like the trading guys at the deadline deal. The Habs don’t trade players at the deadline as a message to free agents that they will have security if they choose Montreal. Hamilton would be the highest humiliation possible.

This is just my theory. But given the difficulty the organization has had in acquiring free agents I think it stands to reason that sacrifices are made to ensure that potential free agents see Montreal as a secure landing spot.

• Mike D says:

re: putting Spacek in the minors…

If we did that, not only would we still have to pay him, we would still have his entire salary on our cap (save for 100k) because he’s on a 35+ contract.

– Honestly yours

21. Propwash says:

Gill did a good job last season, I don’t see the problem with re-signing him.

22. JasonM says:

Glad to see Gill back, no one can say he didn’t help Subban’s progress last season. Great on the PK and is a leader in our locker room. The price is a bit higher than I expected but a 1 year 2.25 is very comfortable.

• TomNickle says:

I should say so. If anyone deserved a raise. It was probably him considering what he puts his body through and the leadership he brings. Hamrlik did the same job but let’s be realistic, he didn’t deserve a raise. Anton Volchenkov is making about $3 million more per year for doing a worse job in the same role and being a lesser quality leader. Gill has a ring that Volchenkov doesn’t have too.

Over/under on:
    – how many comments will posted outlining Spacek/Gomez injury prognostications,
    – and describing, if it happened, what effect having either of the two or both on the long-term IR would have on the Habs’ salary cap,
    – subsequently leading to even more hypothetical line combos, with players who are not signed or traded for.

Remember, their combined hit is 11.19 million. That’s a lot of line combo variation.

Discuss!

24. Sean Bonjovi says:

On James Wisniewski:

Considerer the Candiens defence.
    Four players are sign – PK Subban, Spacek, Yemelin, and Hal Gill
    Two players are expected to sign – Josh Georges and Andrei Markov
    If Markov is not re-signed then James Wisniewski must be re-signed. If Markov is re-signed, how would the Canadiens use Wisniewski?

Wisniewski would replace Jaro Spacek in the line-up and play about 15 mins/ game in 5-5 situations. On a team with Andrei Markov and PK Subban Wisniewski would play on the 2nd PP unit, and on this team he would not kill penalities. Another option for 15 mins/game + 2nd PP is Yannick Weber, and I think the decision to keep Wisniewski is really a choice between him and Weber.

Would Wisniewski out-perform Weber in the same role? I think he certainly would. I think the best Weber could ever hope to be is Wisniewski’s equal. Should either Markov or PK be injured Wisniewski could replace their offence, which Weber could not. Keeping Wisniewski would also allow Weber to be traded. The only reason the choice between these two players is difficult, is that Yannick Weber could be signed for something like $1 millions/year and James Wisniewski could cost $5 million.

I think the Canadiens could afford to re-sign James Wisniewski at $5 million/year^, but I still haven’t decided whether or not I think they should.

^ I’m willing to explain why I believe this, but this post is too long already.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• TomNickle says:

I think you’re really under selling Winsiewski. Markov and Subban would be the only players in our lineup over twenty minutes per game among the defensemen. Wisniewski would be a lot closer to that 20 minute/game mark than Gill and Yemelin, and would probably play around the amount of time that Gorges gets. Perhaps more.

• Sean Bonjovi says:

15/game is max ice time for Weber, but it’s definitely a low-ball estimate for Wiz, so add “reduced minutes for Hal Gill” as another benefit of keeping James Wisniewski.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

• TomNickle says:

I personally don’t think Weber will be a Hab through the whole summer. But that’s a mildly educated hunch(I’m sure some would call it something else). But assuming with Wisniewski added the team has Markov, Subban, Gill, Gorges, Wisniewski and Spacek/Weber. Wisniewski will be on the team’s second Powerplay unit and would very likely draw in on second PK unit duty when you consider how many penalties Subban takes. I’m thinking he ends up just under 20 minutes/game. And much, much more with an injury(which we all know will happen).

• Jonson says:

aint gonna happen Weber is a special piece in Montreal’s future. All these hamilton kids have played together and have won together. They are ready to step up. You can see it on the ice how much they enjoy playing with each other. and weber proved this year that he MORE than ready. He stepped up in all aspects of his game. He only played a game or two in the playoffs and he make an impact. He is really good and deserves to be in the top 4

25. Hobie Hansen says:

@ TomNickle – What is the penalty for not spending to the floor?

• TomNickle says:

The Islanders acquired James Wisniewski so that they could hit the floor, I know that much, lol. I believe it’s a percentage penalty. Like that they would be fined daily until they were in compliance. Give me a few minutes to find it.

I’ve had too much wine to load the actual CBA. But I’ve read five articles now and from what I can tell they are in fact fined daily(because that’s how player salaries are paid at the NHL level) until in compliance, just like going over the cap.

26. Malreg says:

For the twitter-less members:

MaxPacioretty67 Max Pacioretty
    Congrats to Hal Gill for re-signing … awesome guy and glad he is going to be back #skillzy

Giostyle21 Brian Gionta
    Great to have the big man back in MTL, now all he has to do is Babysit PK! Heads up PK!!

PKSubban1 P.K. Subban
    Pretty happy #Skillzy got the extension! Congrats Bud! See you Grand Prix weekend! yfrog.com/h4sr0xdj

27. RobertAlanFord says:

hello world

Kevin Dineen is the new head coach for Florida.

LOL if Vokoun departs.

29. habs-hampton says:

This is great news. Special teams are so important and with Gorges back, our PK should continue to be one of the best in the league. With Yemelin, PK, Markov and Gorges leading the way, they should be able to manage Gill’s minutes, so he is not exposed so much 5 on 5.

30. Hobie Hansen says:

@ Ed Lopez – Ok I get that teams must spend to the “floor” in the current CBA, or at least I think I do?

Anyway, if a team is attempting to add to their payroll by signing a high cap hit player, why would they not sign a good player instead of Spacek, for his type of salary?

Why sign a bad expensive player when you could at least get a good one for the same price?

• ed lopaz says:

ya – OK – I hear you Hobie and I agree that it will be a challenge.

here’s my pitch to Phoenix (or the team that we present to).

Spacek is a veteran

Spacek is a good character guy – he’s good in the room

Spacek is a hard worker

The media loves Spacek – apparently he’s a “nice guy”.

3.8 is stiff price to pay – but Phoenix just paid 25 million to keep their franchise so I’m hopeful. :-)

I just picked Phoenix as an example – I could care less.

just dump the 3.8 mil gauthier, PLEASE!!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

YA it drives me nuts too. Imagine what the Habs could do by investing the money they pay Spacek and Gomez elsewhere!

• ed lopaz says:

imagine if the Habs had just traded a 2nd round pick for a 27 year old centreman who was a top 5 point producer at his position, AND
          we were still stiuck with Gomez.

in other words, SIGN THE WIZ – he is a unique, offensive threat.

together with Subban AND Markov, The Wiz would make the Habs instantly one of the best d’s in the league

add Gorges Yemelin and Gill – and now we have great balance as well

• TomNickle says:

I don’t even want Wisniewski for his scoring. It’s a bonus. Anyone who gives Price the business will end up picking hand skin out of their teeth. He doesn’t tolerate crap in front of the net. 6 defensemen like him would have resulted in a second round birth at least. Boston scored too many goals from the blue paint.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I like the Wiz, don’t get me wrong. By not signing the Wiz I’m hoping Gauthier can sign a large and imposing 2nd or 3rd line forward, bonus if he had good hands.

If they don’t sign the Wiz they’d better make up for it somewhere else.

• TomNickle says:

They could just save the money for PK, Price, Eller and Pacioretty. Don’t be upset if they don’t make a splash. If they don’t, it means they’re protecting their rising stars.

• ed lopaz says:

replying to Tom below because he has no reply button.

Tom, buddy, thank you very much!!!

The Wiz is full of grit, he plays with a great edge to his game, broken face and all.

he will drop them if he has to to protect himself, Price or any one else on his team.

he is truly a unique, extremely valuable player.

as I posted below

Markov gets his money

Wiz gets Spacek money (+ more because he’s 27 and is way better)

PK gets Hamrlik type money in 2 seasons.

Make it so Gauthier – make it so!!

replying to Hobie above;

the market is bare this summer for forwards.

there’s no one that can fit the role you are describing

it would have to be a trade.

Also Max Pac is good for about 30 next season – all things being equal – no major injuries

he is the REAL DEAL!! Speed, Power, goes to the net -full package

• TomNickle says:

I don’t think they can move Spacek is the only problem. Gomez on the other hand is an outside possibility. Florida is in a World of hurt with the cap going up. The floor will be around $46-$47 million. They need to add more than $30 million in payroll with only Vokoun on their roster commanding big money and a subpar free agent class. Habsolutely eloquently put it that they’re rebuilding and adding Gomez would be stupid. Under normal circumstances I agree. But among the players in the league making enough money for Tallon to satisfy the cap floor, Gomez may be the only one who doesn’t cost Tallon an arm and a leg in terms of prospects or picks. To make the floor Tallon would have to re-sign Vokoun to a big deal, add perhaps two or three of the big name, big money defensemen in this year’s ufa class, one of the sought after forwards, and then make a deal to bring in somebody at around $5 million annually. In other words, not gonna happen. Gomez to Florida could very well happen. Very plausible.

For the record, I only want to move Gomez out because Eller or Desharnais, or under dire circumstances, Cammalleri can perform in his role. He just isn’t needed with the emergence of Plekanec.

• ed lopaz says:

Replying to Tom below about Gomez.

I don’t think Gomez will be moved.

I would love to have that 7+ million; but when there possibly only 1 or 2 fits in the whole league, it is doubtful it will be done.

About Eller – love the guy!!

He will fit very nicely as a strong #2 centreman; plays big, very aggressive, protects the puck, very good poise and confidence, and excellent vision qualities.

• TomNickle says:

I think he has better upside than a #2 centreman. I think back to where Plekanec was at that age and where Toews is at and I think he fits somewhere in between those two. I think he’ll be better than Pleks(offensively) but not quite as good as Toews. And probably not as good as either defensively.

• Sharks9 says:

Either no good players are available or want to go to their team. This years free agent crop is pretty weak so maybe Montreal could package Spacek with a prospect (not a very good one!) Or a very late draft pick (do we have any extras in the later rounds?) and get a trade through.

25 before 14

31. TorontoHabsFan says:

I think the reaction on twitter from the various Habs who’ve commented tells you all you need to know about this signing – not one of the reaction seems canned, they all sound genuine and happy that he’s coming back.

32. RobertAlanFord says:

Wiz CAN return if he’s taking Hamrlik’s place and contract. The money was there last year and its still there now as long as Hamrlik isn’t re-signed which I dont think he will be. Spacek’s future with the Habs is still uncertain as well. He may have a year remaining on his contract but there are ways around it if PG really wants to.

Wiz-Makov
    Subban-Gill
    Weber-Gorges
    Yemelin

33. habs001 says:

the bruins d dominated us in their pinching in our zone…gill and spacek are not capable of doing this and gorges is limited in this ..markov was good at this before his injuries but when he came back he was not the same player in this aspect of the game…without the d having the ability to pinch our scoring will be in the same bad shape as last year 2 years.. in todays nhl you need 3-4 agile athletic d who can keep the puck in the offensive zone…we really lack in this type of d…

• TorontoHabsFan says:

3 of Boston’s 4 wins came in OT, I don’t know if we should be throwing around words like “domination”…

• ed lopaz says:

markov, subban, The Wiz -there you go;3 agile athletic d-men

34. Gill signing is what the doctor ordered. Send Spacek to Hamilton. Signed Markov, Gorges and Weber.

Markov – Yemlin
    Subban – Diaz
    Gill – Gorges
    Weber

Power Play – Markov – Subban

• Hobie Hansen says:

Diaz? Are you kidding me?

Weber is not a 7th Dman, he belongs in the top 4

• RobertAlanFord says:

Weber hasn’t earned himself a fulltime spot yet….and Diaz is a minor league signing. He’s starting in Hamilton and will only get the call if more than two of our D go down.

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

Emelin will be on 3rd pair – no NHL experience. Diaz will likely get an injury call up for 3rd pair duty at some point and may / may not stick with the club.

Markov & Gorges will sign – sucks to lose Wiz for zip.

Spacek will be 3rd pair with Emelin. PG will not send him down to the Dogpound or find a GM to take his 3.8m contract – if at 17 mins a game, he is still twice the Dman that Gill is. Take a look at plus/minus for Gill and Spacek this past season – Spacek was +9 and Gill was -9. Also, Spacek and Emelin share 40% common language, so will communicate on the ice.

Markov – Gorges
      Gill – PK
      Emelin – Spacek
      Weber

I do agree with you that Gill is not a top 4 Dman. Hopefully, we will see Emelin move up by seasons’ mid-point.

35. ed lopaz says:

hamrlik was paid 5.5 mil
    spacek is paid 3.8

that’s 9.3 mil

why not pay the following:

The Wiz 4.5 mil
    Subban 4.8 mil (next year, not this year)

Markov gets his 5.75 mill that he’s currently making.

we have not added a single dollar to the payroll, and we keep everyone we need to build a championship calibre defence.

Trade Spacek for a draft pick to a team looking to Spend money to hit the cap floor.

• Hobie Hansen says:

You can’t just dump Spacek, unfortunately…I think even if he retires we still have him count against the cap.

Or if we buy him out it still counts against the cap?

We could send him to Hamilton but still pay for his salary.

• ed lopaz says:

trade him to phoenix for a 7th round pick.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Why would Phoenix want to pay $3.8 million to make their team worse?

• ed lopaz says:

so they can meet the MINIMUM required payroll Cap – the cap “floor” ;right? some teams NEED to spend the money.

I agree by the way = Spacek is brutal.

Where is his one timer on the PP he had in Buffalo?

• Mike D says:

Under the current CBA, Spacek’s salary counts against our cap regardless of whether he retires, we buy him out, or send him to Hamilton. We would only save 100k on the cap in each of those circumstances.

The only way we can avaid his cap hit is if we trade him to another team which will be hard to do unless we include someone of value in the deal.

Even if we sent him to Eurpre (like Chicago did with Huet) I’m not sure we would avoid his cap hit because he’s on a 35+ contract.

– Honestly yours

36. yehaken says:

Great signing. Wiz can’t be re-signed guys, don’t be ridiculous. He gets Rafalski numbers, and last I heard we needed scoring also. Yes, the best case involves Markov, PK, Gorges, and Wiz along with two others. But who comes in to help the scoring? Jagr at 280k? Crosby and Malkin pull a Kariya and Selanne with the Avs? bring back Kovy?

Stop. Gill made PK Subban (not to mentin the other PK) much better, and Subban is an asset worth developing correctly. Oh and the Habs were one of the most penalised teams in the league, so we need the acronym to be firing on both cylinders.

If we could only have thought about that with guys like Ribeiro, Grabovski, etc., we wouldn’t be staring at a 19 year cup drought. I think Gauthier is trying to do better than the last 5 year rebuilding plan. I love me some Gainey, but it didn’t work out. Houle remains a nice guy and a good ex-NHLer, but Zubov, Zholtok, and Petrov (all of whom I loved at the time) also didn’t get more than Masterson consideration if that. And that’s because unless a guy comes back from cancer or something, who cares about the Masterson. Sorry, getting off track.

If anything, we should find André Savard and pay him whatever he needs to run the draft again. Man, that guy ran the table. Oh and his choice for coach is looking OK now too.

37. TorontoHabsFan says:

(m’eh…nevermind)

38. MathMan says:

I do hope he’s being envisioned in a third-pairing role. The problem is, assuming Markov re-signs (which is pretty much required at this point), Gill really does not fit in the picture. Spatch is still ahead of him on the depth chart and is getting borderline as a top-4 D-man (or, if you don’t believe in Spatch, then the Habs are now paying 6 million for two #5 D-men). It’s a lousy market to move D-men in.

This is a good team-building move, but as a hockey move, it’s limiting. Not a huge fan, but of course it depends on where it’s all going.

• mika says:

I have nothing against Gill but just dont understand how we are improving the club long term by allowing a 27 year old in Wisniewski to walk and retaining a 37 year old.So Gauthier decides based on his players input on who stays and goes..makes no sense.I would rather forego a Leno(questionable value) and keep JW who was the second leading scorer on this team.There is sufficient room to accomodate JW.
      Just do not understand the logic here but then again I dont feel Gauthier is a hogh calibre GM.

mika

• MathMan says:

Depends how much Wisniewski is asking for, and what you do with the savings. They are probably envisioning Markov on the blueline.

• A. Berke says:

Can you say about 3.75 mill? (i.e. the diff between 2.25 Gill will get and roughly 5 mil Wiz would ask).
        Wiz may still be signed but he’ll want long term along w/Markov and Gorges. Thus, money may be running short if PG is also looking to sign a scoring forward. Also keep in mind, there’s P.K. & Price to be signed next year to larger and longer contracts.
        Having said that I wouldn’t mind to have Wiz at a reasonable rate but not at 5 mil per.

Ali B.

• thorandresson says:

Really? Gill below Spacek on the depth chart? Really? Did you watch many games this season?

First of all, Gill is an assistant captain and probably after Gionta the biggest leader on this team. Second remember how much of a key he was in Subban’s development? Did you notice the improvement in Subban’s game once he started playing with Gill?

Gill’s a warrior who’ll be valuable in the final stretch and come playoff time. He probably only has one last year of hockey left in him, after which I see him probably joining the coaching staff.

• MathMan says:

It’s not relevent to my point whether Gill is a “warrior” and a “leader”, et caetera, et caetera. The bottom line is that Spacek is a better hockey player. The bottom line is that Gill belongs on the third pairing if the Habs claim to have a solid defense.

Yes, Spacek makes more turnovers than Gill passing the puck. That’s because Gill isn’t good enough to even *attempt* to pass the puck. He either lets Subban do it or just knocks it out the glass and hands it back to the other club.

And no, I did not notice an improvement in Subban’s game when playing with Gill, though I was impressed with Subban that he could carry Hal Gill and make that a pretty good top-4 pairing.

39. lukas-joshua says:

Nice the big guy that doesn’t want 2 hit anyone is back.

40. lukas-joshua says:

Nice the big guy that doesn’t want 2 hit anyone is back.

I guess that’s the end of the wiz

41. 4m3y2j says:

Man-your cluelessness is just sad,u really do talk out of your ass.kaberle is gone next season,Wiz has strong ties to the Detroit area and there are already reports out there about the Wings having free cap space to sign him,he is only 27 ,has lots of upside(particularly offense)and is a prime target by many teams including those two and don’t think Boston would not love to stick that to the habs and have him haunt them .
    Respond with your head not your feminine side-lol

This signing brings the Habs mean average to 5’10”

43. 4m3y2j says:

but the Habs will not take the chance of losing him.Guess who will be going to beantown (or Detroit)if the habs don’t resign him-The Wiz.
    Also George went on the record to te press saying Gill being resigned had to be a priority,that is not just being nice….

44. 4m3y2j says:

jonson

What is b/w your ears ?You think they’re not signing Markov after they solidified Yemelin?Don’t even bother commenting as you have no clue about this team…

• Jonson says:

its not that they wont sign him i just dont think he will be playing at the same level because of his two knee surgeries. No need to get offensive i love Markov but its hard to believe that he will ever be the same.

• HabsFan2 says:

If you’re worried whether Markov can play at the same level. Look no further than James Wisniewski…

“James Wisniewski to Undergo Knee Surgery

The following statement was issued today by Chicago Blackhawks Head Team Physician Dr. Michael Terry of University of Chicago Medical Center:

“James re-injured his right knee while training for the upcoming season. He has torn his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and will undergo surgery this week. We anticipate full recovery and his return during the 2008-09 season.”

———————————————-
        R.I.P. – K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

his first or second?

• HabsFan2 says:

I believe it was his second.

Edit: It was actually his third.

“Wisniewski, 24, injured his right knee in June training for the season and underwent surgery — the third operation of his career on that knee — and had been rehabbing ever since.”

———————————————-
            R.I.P. – K.C. – Jan.28, 1993 – May 19, 2011

• Jonson says:

i dont believe that is the same knee surgery as Markov. I know Pavel Bure has had the same surgery as Markov and he came back and scored 26 goals that year and then he retired.

• Jonson says:

i have no clue about this team eh? tell me how you got to that conclusion. Is it because recent history shows that players,after having 2 knee surgeries to repair ligament damage, rarely come back and play at the same level if they come back at all? or is it cause i beleive that Gill is set to make too much money for a 6th Dman who is probably the slowest Dman in the league? its easy to insult someone when he disagrees with a lot of people but am i not making any sense?

45. 4m3y2j says:

Johnson

Read any posting fromGeorges ,Subban,they really look to Gill as a Major leader in the room,great shot blocker,this is a good signing,would I have liked it better for 1.5,yes but still a good signing…

• Jonson says:

i know all that but they would survive either way. if people ask them about gill they are obviously gonna say good things. they are not gonna trash him. Im not trying to discredit Gill in any way. its just too much money for a guy who should not be playing. I mean how much does Gorges get? 3-3.5? he deserves a lot more than gill.but thats still way to high. Gill should sign for no more than 1 a year. SImple as that

• Hobie Hansen says:

Spacek has zero left in the tank and Gill is running on fumes. I think Gill is capable of playing effective hockey for another season with the lowest minutes in the group.

• Jonson says:

yeah possibly but why not try to spend the extra money on Erhoff or Bieska. and if they decide to go with GIll over WEber than i really wont get it.

46. Hobie Hansen says:

When I picture Spacek last season I see him stumbling around chasing the puck in our end, being beat up in Boston and just plain out of energy.

The puck stayed alive in our end for a ridiculous amount of time whenever Spacek was out there last year. The Bruins ate him for lunch all season and especially the playoffs.

Anything less than a routine play in his own end results in disaster with Spacek. He constantly fumbles the puck and is scared to take a hit and then loses possession. Then he’s so bad defensively that he puts no pressure on the forwards with the puck and it stays in our end for 2mins!

Sorry Spacek…YOU SUCK!

GILL, You know, I never had an appreciation for Gill’s game before he came to the Habs. Even when we first signed him, I thought, Why this guy?.

But boy! do I ever have an appreciation for Mr. Gill now, blazing speed and all!.

He is one of a kind, and knows this game inside out. He is very effective, respected by the whole room, and it shows.

It is impossible to get players to-day that can do it all at both ends of the rink. So that’s why we have coaches, that pair players up, to compliment each other.

Now to get Markov and Gorges signed, like now!

• issie74 says:

I loved that he saved Pacioretti,D.D.& P.K.when Pac scored that overtime goal and they were celebrating in the corner.Only for Gill doing his best take-down of the year,Chara was heading right for them and I think he wanted to kill,one of them probably Pac but maybe all three.

48. showey47 says:

Good signing. A little more cash then i would have liked to paid though. Ultimately i would like to see him coaching our defencemen when his playing days are done.

49. OneTimer says:

If Spacek can be moved…

Markov-Yemelin
    Subban-Bieksa/Wisniewski/other
    Gorges-Gill
    Weber

That would be awesome.

50. Jonson says:

i Think a healthy Spacek this year is better than GIll. Spacek played really solid after getting back from his injury last year and had a decent playoff. I believe that it would be that hard to trade him. Its the last year on his contract so its not a big risk. If they have the cap space and need another D then whats the big deal?

• naweed235 says:

you my friend were not watching the same games as I… Spacek was horrible in the playoff and I would go as far as saying he actually may have cost us a couple of games…
      The gill signing can only do the team good

• Jonson says:

Everyone keeps saying that but for me GIll was the worst we had. trust me i watched every game intensely i dont think he was that bad. Gill Was Brutal!!!! am i seriously the only one who saw that?

51. Jonson says:

what a stupid signing. way too much money for Gill. He is finished. as much as i liked him 2 years ago he looked pretty bad this year. The only reason he survived this year was cause he GOT to play with SUbban. I know Subban stated that Gill has helped him on the ice and off the ice but please Subban is montreal’s Best player he would have been fine either way. There are so many other good dmen out there and they spend all that money on GIll!!! it’s a little pathetic in my books.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Maybe you should take a look at penalty-killing stats to see how valuable Gill was for us last year.

Also, Gill’s position in the locker-room cannot be understated. He seems to be the glue that holds it all together and has been a very calming influence for Price and Subban.

If Gorges thinks he is essential, I will take his word over anyone on this board.

• Jonson says:

i dont need to look at stats, maybe you do, but i watch every game and trust me i see what he does on the PK. he is good but at that much money he just isnt worth it. If you want to talk stats then does his numbers justify his salary? I believe that they could take that money plus some more and sign an impact Dman. He is aging so he is gonna get slower and slower. I really dont think he will be playing by the seasons end. I just think they would do just fine without Hal Gill

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree with almost everything you say but having Gill as a 6th defenceman is ok.
      2.5 million for a guy who Alex Ovechkin recently stated was the toughest defender to score or get a scoring chance of off in the league.
      As a 6th defenceman playing limited minutes and focusing on the penalty kill…Gill is a solid player.

• ButJohnnyLovesHockey says:

2.25M is too much money for a cup winning d-man? What world do you live in?

Roman Hamrlik got 5.5M and got less than 7 goals a year. Spacek gets paid 3.8M and has an unmoveable contract. Gomez got 37 points and gets paid more than 3 times what Gill makes.

• Jonson says:

Wow Great examples! Think about what you are saying. they are all stupid contracts. does winning a stanely cup really matter? if you had taken Gill off that team ( mind you did play great in those playoffs) would they have won? My bet is yes. Gomez won a cup does that make him valuable to this teaM? the answer is no.
        Gill has had his day no doubt. But his time as expired. too much money for a guy who shouldnt be playing.

• Sharks9 says:

2.25 million is not that much at all! There are tons of worse contracts in the league so I think it’s fine to get a PK specialist, mentor, and leader on and off the ice for that price.

25 before 14

52. naweed235 says:

so here’s the plan:
    1.PG tries to trade Spacek in order to Sign Wiz…
    2. If 1 fails, PG puts Matt Cook on a “under the table contract” to do to Spacek what he did to Markov…
    Now we can sign the Wiz b/c Spacek is on long term IR

ah nevermind…

• Jonson says:

Everyone needs to forget about the WIZ. He is not that good of a dman. And he totally stopped shooting late in the year and in the playoffs. Not a guy who deserves 4-5 million a year. spend it on someone who can play at both ends.

• naweed235 says:

The reason why everyone wants the Wiz is because we desperately lack a strong Point shot that other than PK we just do not have in the system… Some might argue that Webber can bring that to the table… Im not sold on that though… We absolutly need a big gun on the blue line and Wiz is the best option right now… If you dont belive me look at our PP record b4 and after we signed the Wiz…

• subbang1010 says:

Yeah we do have that point shot now– Yemelin.

• Jonson says:

dude WEber is gonna have a HUGe year as long as he gets to play. IF Markov is back (which i doubt)and we have Yemelin than we do not need the WIz. ALso i would rather throw that big money to someone who can play at both Ends. ANd why not have PK play the entire 2 mins on the PP.

• naweed235 says:

you know what I agree with you about spending the big money on someone more effective in both ends… although Wiz is not bad defensively either and I believe his offensive upside def. makes up for the defensive shortfall… My issue still remains with that big point shot… heck just bring MAB back and put him on the 4th line just to play the pp… but we absolutly need a big shot like that or our PP is not even close to being effective… And I doubt that Yemelin has a big shot in the caliber of MAB, Wiz, Streit or Sourray..

• Jonson says:

naweed- i agree that resigning MAB would be good as long he doesnt play D. he is the same as Wiz, he was brutal at times this year defensively. And for whatever reason he really stopped SHooting the puck.

53. The Cat says:

To the IT people: The site doesnt always work with the Opera web browser, sometimes I can post, sometimes I cant, I can always read others though… Im using IE right now.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I use IE and it doesn’t always work at my work location…whenever I have something good to say too!

Not sure if it is the HIO server but it seems to happen using Firefox or IE…

54. OneTimer says:

Now that our D is starting to shape up, the real question is…can we move Spacek? My off-season wishes would come true.

55. The Cat says:

I seem to not be able to post.

56. Hobie Hansen says:

If Gill is our 6th defenceman behind Subban, Markov, Gorges, Yemelin and anyone besides Spacek I’m down.

If we have Gill and Spacek playing in the same 6-man system I think signing Gill is a bad move.

I just hope this means Spacek is somehow done as a Montreal Canadien.

Gill lost another step over the course of the season and Spacek is just plain dead in the water. Suicide having them both play regular minutes.

57. savethepuck says:

So as I’ve expected all along our 7 D next year will be PK, Markie, Gorges, Gill, Spac, Yemelin and Weber

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

58. Say Ash says:

Anybody think a team coming back to Canada is a contrarian indicator on the Loonie?

59. The Cat says:

Anybody else not have all their posts get through?

60. OneTimer says:

Snap, finally some news!

After Markov, this is the guy I wanted the Habs to re-sign the most. He’s a PK ace, a great mentor for the young players and a leader in the room. Awesome.

61. The Cat says:

Ive noticed that not all my posts get through. Anybody else have that happen?

62. ManApart says:

Good penalty killer or no, 9 points and -9 for the season isn’t good. I don’t dislike the guy, but I think there are plenty of better Dman around. I guess one more year to give the youngsters a little more experience before one of them take his spot isn’t so bad.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Again, you know what you’re getting with Gill. And there are definitely better defensemen out there, but would they be as valuable as Gill on OUR team?

Hopefully, we will be healthier on the blueline this year, and Gill can stick to playing 18 minutes a game, with a lot of that coming from penalty-killing.

A one-year deal is just fine. I think it is a matter of buying Jarred Tinordi another year of development in junior.

• pat s says:

ManApart–nice post and well stated–I don’t mind Gill either and he does play hard so I’m glad we still have him. Plus, I think he is a positive influence in the dressing room.

• DearyLeary says:

I kind of hope Gill is around for the rookie camp to talk to Tinordi a bit. While Gill isn’t the most athletically gifted player, he’s certainly learned how to get the most out of his giant frame.

If we could mould Tinordi into a mean Hal Gill I’d be very happy.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I totally agree with you and I think that the organization appears to want to transition from Gill to Tinordi eventually.

If Gill could mentor the kid, he could become a perfect compliment to P.K. as he would be a solid stay-at-home D with the ability to step in if anyone wants to take liberties with P.K.

• issie74 says:

From all the London Knights fans I hear he is headed in that direction.

• Mike D says:

I go to a few Knights games every year and Tinordi def. has a mean streak in him. Did you ever see his dad play??

As for Gill mentoring Tinordi, I don’t see much of that happening. Tinordi will play junior at least one more year before going to Hamilton for at least one year. I doubt Gill will still be playing in three years which is likely the earliest we’d see Tinordi with the big club.

– Honestly yours

• savethepuck says:

-9 against the oppositions top lines. I’m not going to do the research, but I don’t think there are a lot of 2.25 mil veteran DMen out there that do what he does.

63. topher5468 says:

why cant I see my comments

“It’s not an obsession, It’s a way of life..”

64. Robert L says:

Gill contract and salary just confirmed by Bob Mac on Twitter.

65. pmaraw says:

personally im hoping we get sopel back, and will be thrilled to have gill back

• Sharks9 says:

Why would you want Sopel back? We need to get faster and younger, Gill is necessary because of his leadership and PK skills but I think we could easily get someone better than Sopel.

25 before 14

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I agree. Having Gill and Spacek fills our quota of over-35 slow-as-molasses defensemen.

I would rather bring back Hamrlik than Sopel, but that won’t happen either. Gill brings something those players can’t, which is tremendous influence on P.K., Price and some of the other veterans as well.

66. CHsam says:

LOL get a pic of Timo sitting next to Boone but with Ali G photoshopped in

67. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

While I wish there would have been some way to bring him back at a slightly cheaper price, this signing was a given and it is a good move.

The Negative Nancies on this site can complain all they want about Gill’s lack of speed. The bottom line is, Gill is the best penalty-killer we have. Even Ovechkin has stated that Gill is one of the toughest defensemen to play against. When we first signed him, I rolled my eyes and thought “what is this, a joke?” Since then, Hal Gill has made me a fan of his.

When Josh Gorges and P.K. Subban endorse Hal Gill as a key part of this team both through the media and directly to the GM, I think it’s safe to say that Hal Gill needed to be re-signed for another year.

As another poster said, I think Gill will probably be offered a position on the coaching staff when he is done as a player. I would love to see him be there to mentor Tinordi. If Tinordi could play as well as Gill positionally, he would become a very valuable player to us, as his skating and passing appear to be superior to Gill’s and he actually fights as well.

• The Cat says:

Ovechkin also said Markov was tough to play against? So thats Markov and Gill that are tough to play against and theyre on the same team, I imagine theres other tough Dmen to play against on other teams too…….Just sayin’, other players’ praise means nothing. Itd be wiser to sign Hamrlik.

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

I like Hamrlik and all, but he is not nearly as good a penalty-killer as Gill and doesn’t have as much influence in the dressing room.

Hamrlik did a great job of filling in when Markov was injured, but he also broke down late in the season and wasn’t nearly as effective as Gill in the playoffs, if you ask me.

I also think he would command a higher salary than Gill.

• OneTimer says:

Good post Jan. I think the keenest hockey eyes and minds were able to see what Gill brought to the team these last two years.

68. avatar_58 says:

I like Gill but if you ask me they should have found a way to sign Wiz instead. The team should be getting younger and faster. Unless of course they can unload Spacek….

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Hmm…I wonder, is Wiz (honestly, I dislike giving players nicknames, but dangit, James’ last name is too damn hard to spell!) worth what Hamrlik made on his last contract?

I liked him too – but I suspect he’s likely to earn a 4 yr deal worth $5m/yr on the UFA market…is he worth that kind of money?

I’m not so sure…what do you think?

• Mike Boone says:

Someone is going to give Wiz north of $4 million. The Canadiens can’t afford him and Markov.

Mike Boone
      Hockey Inside/Out blogger
      Gazette City columnist
      mboone@montrealgazette.com

• Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Well, they COULD afford them both, but then they wouldn’t be able to upgrade their forward group, which is the most pressing need.

UNLESS Gauthier is able to unload Spacek on some other team, which is highly doubtful.

The road to the Cup begins… 18 more years or so and cup will be ours.

70. TorontoHabsFan says:

Nice signing! I think I foresee a pretty smooth transition into our coaching staff in Gill’s near future.

As for the rest of the D – am I alone in kinda hoping that Sopel is re-signed as a very inexpensive bottom pairing guy (I can’t imagine he’d garner more than $1.75-$2.0m as a UFA) and Spacek is moved for the proverbial bag of puck later in the summer when teams get a bit desperate for D?

Those savings would let us easily fit in a Brooks Laich (who Hindle seems to be quite sure would fit in nicely on our top line).

71. sidhu says:

Gill is great on the PK and is solid in the room, plus he’s been a good mentor for PK. One year at $2.25m is reasonable. We could be looking at:

Markov-Subban
    Gill-Gorges
    Yemelin-Spaceman
    Weber

$3.8m is a lot for Spaceman’s role as a 5 or 6 D, but I imagine it will be hard to get rid of his contract, even though he becomes a UFA at the end of the 2011-12 season.

72. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Weber is not under contract. He is an RFA.

73. Thurston says:

renhockey Renaud P Lavoie
    Hal Gill 1 an / 2.25 (MTL)