Get well, Elmer

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Canadiens Hall of Famer Elmer Lach, who broke a hip a day ago while shovelling his back deck. At age 93.

(Check out this shot from the 1940s: Elmer helping the Forum ice crew.)

Elegant Elmer broke more bones in his body during his hardrock career than he can count. This is just the latest for the Canadiens’ oldest living player. Here’s hoping we see you up and around soon, Elmer. And hire a kid to shovel your driveway, will you?!

(A by-the-way: Elmer shovels and does chores around the house because he wants to. Stubborn as a mule, he is. Has been his whole life!)

1. Rob D says:

It’s better for older people to be active. My dad was still insistently shovelling the driveway right up to his death at 88…and woe be to the son (moi..lol) who said something like “maybe I should do it for you, Dad”.

It’s part of who they are..I can STILL do it…and probably the reason why Mr. Lach is still alive. Life takes its toll, whether you are ensconced in your warm bed or battling the elements in a Canadian winter. Rage against the dying of the light…errrrr..or shovel I guess..

2. Robert L says:

Three decades younger than Lach, this kid’s quite handy with a shovel. Works for the Canadiens and has free time on his hands.

3. yiwunyshus says:

52 shall take pleasure in the living room Television wall design and style effect,win 7, to house decoration close friends can learn about yo,microsoft office 2010 Home And Business generator key! –

4. habitual says:

A broken hip is a real bugger for seniors.  I hope Elmer can recover and come home.

Stubbsie, I still remember that great column you did on him – last year? – and how much you enjoyed it.  We did too.

5. Habnofear says:

Agreed, breaking a hip at 70 + is not good……..best wishes .

6. Robert L says:

I had just responded to Dave’s comment responding to mine, when the photo link moved to the top of the page. I got a “the comment you are responding to no longer exists” notice. :)

Looking at Elmer’s tool of choice, I’m left wondering if Gomez could put pucks into the net with it!

7. Storm Man says:

WOW… A  HHOF shovelling at the age he is…. This is very sad, I hope someone living in Montreal near him does not let this happen again.

8. otter649 says:

more bones in his body……

9. Robert L says:

If someone tried help Elmer shovel his deck, he’d probably deck them with the shovel.

10. 1010 says:

My sentiments exactly. However, his willingness to tackle those chores might be part of the reason he’s the oldest living Canadien.

Get well Mr Lach.

GO HABS…

11. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Holy crap! If I still lived in Montreal I’d be going over and shoveling this guys place for free.  What a shame.  Here’s to a speedy recovery Elmer.

12. HugeHabsFan says:

Best wishes for a very speedy and full recovery, Mr. Lach.

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

13. blu3chip says:

Man…  can we have one article without these ‘smart Gomez rant’…?

It is getting very silly…

14. smiler2729 says:

Get better, Elmer! Maybe we can send Gomez to do that shoveling, he’s really not doing anything this winter…

15. Sportfan says:

Get well Elmer your a tough one im pretty sur eyou could get any habs fan to do it for an autograph or less get well very soon!

16. Danno says:

The storied franchise should provide this service for its honoured veterans. Get well soon Mr. Lach.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. Thurston says:

Feel better, Mr. Lach.

You’ll be up and around before you know it.

18. habstrinifan says:

wow! Get Well Elmer. And get a rookie from the farm to shovel that snow pal. You have earned the rest.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Best wishes to Elmer!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.