Gazette Video: Flags and smoke

Gazette photographer Phil Carpenter was downtown last night as victory celebrations turned ugly with looting along St. Catherine St. Check out his video:

1. lenny says:

I guess his “code” isn’t against making stupid commercials…hes a joke im happy he was asked to leave….

2. zozotheclown says:

I was there till 10:30, like right at that intersection, then went to 3Brass for an hour because we figured someone would do something stupid. On the way back we walked through some left over tear gas lol, that stuff makes you sneeze and your eyes burn lol, even well after its been tossed.

It was a great night overall, its really too bad looters have to take advantage of the situation and try and steal stuff. Because of that we all get lumped in with them by outside media and look like a bunch of bums.

3. tricolortrue says:

hey did anyone watch that stupid commercial with Laraque?

man does he look like an idiot. that’s the only job he can get now. I guess his 1.5 mil wasn’t enough for him.

4. diehardhab says:

I was outside the bell centre at about 11pm and was appalled to see that they were STILL selling beer. HELLO MOLSONS do you really need that extra money?!?!

The torch be yours to hold it high!

5. Cam_1 says:

Honestly ? …and this comes from the bottom of my heart …what a bunch of LOSERS !!!

6. likehoy says:

i was there last night. i left around 11pm before the looting began but there were a lot of shenanigans going on.

after the game just finished, people were trashing the sports bar in the AMC throwing chairs around and breaking things. Inside the AMC lobby, garbage cans were being overturned, posters being ripped down, flyers being thrown around. the crowd in the AMC were mainly young kids (barely old enough to drink) trying to impress their friends. really, they impressed nobody, especially none in my party.

10 minutes after the end of the game, on my way from Atwater to Crescent, on the corner of Drummond and de Maisonneuve, there was a car lit on fire. The car was definitely lit on fire before the game was even over.

people were stripping naked on top of bus booths, and fireworks and fire crackers going off everywhere.

on crescent, minor damages to cars were done (by accident of overly exuberant partying) and people were trying to climb up fire escapes up to the roof of buildings. the riot police came quick to diffuse that situation.

i was also on hand for the washington series game 7, and it seemed as if the police had it way better in control, with the riot police moving in by 11pm diffusing everyone off crescent quickly. this time around, the cops stood by the side longer and let the partying go on longer.

with this being said, it’s been noted that there were $2.5 million in damages during the 1993 Stanley Cup win, I wonder what the amount will surmount to this year if we do get that far?

- What if Jaro Halak’s hand was indeed shaking? What if you took the CHOKE out of Ovechkin? — History Will Be Made

7. alestar says:

What an embarrassment…

I only hope in the coming days all those pictures and videos lead to arrests, get some of these idiots off the street and show the other idiots-in-waiting what will happen if the do the same.

XXIV…and counting

8. ed lopaz says:

Habs hockey = Smart hockey we work as a team, and we win as a team. we play 5 man defence – not just 2.

a word about the rioters. these are rioters NOT habs fans.

montreal seems to allow it! the youth in montreal are NO DIFFERENT than the youth in any major city all over the world.

the difference here: montreal police allow the rioting to start and then its too late.

Hello POLICE!!!

How about we figure out how to control the crowds BEFORE the riots begin???

I don’t blame the youth – they are idiotic and intoxicated – no different than anywhere.

If you don’t appreciate rioting and looting – and I don’t, since I live here with my family – its time to start holding the people responsible…..accountable.

The police who were supposed to keep the peace last night should be held accountable.

9. adam76 says:

Take it down – its clear these people are not habs fans.  It was two hours after the game.

Not relevant to habs inside out.

10. diehardhab says:

100 people ruin it for everyone

The torch be yours to hold it high!

11. emann_222 says:

Actually – this is not a black eye on the Canadiens … they are truly a team with class and skill.

The idiots that pull this kind of #$%# are just a bunch of A Holes that have no respect for their team, their city, or themselves.

Cammy said it best last night when he spoke about the REAL fans in this city … paraphrased of course …

“It’s nice to know that a win like this can make so many fans happy”.

Thank you boys – for making the true Canadiens fans happy – ecstatic – elated.

Now go get it done in round 3!!!!

WE BELIEVE

12. KenD29 says:

The “real” shame is that this makes news all over Canada painting everyone with the same brush!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

13. Big Bird says:

I wasn’t referring to you. There are other posts on RDS.ca and elsewhere we people are saying all of the looters were ‘black’ and ‘noire’.

No one is asking you to defend anything or said you have anything against anyone.

There is lots of blame to go around.  Sure the girls looting foot locker were black that’s obvious and they should all be charged.

But there were not many blacks charging into the SAQ but whites.  Stupidity isn’t limited to one group, race or religion and making sweeping/generalized statements is unfair.

14. CBrady12 says:

Also, compared to the last ‘riot’ two years ago, this was nothing….two stores got looted, one of which is a government building, wow what a huge riot. Two years ago there were cars on fire and at least a dozen stores vandalized….this is peanuts compared to that…yes its a shame that people with limited intellect or ability to reason do this crap, but it’s also a shame that the media makes it out to be some huge violent riot when it wasnt

15. adam76 says:

Why is this on Habs inside out?

16. mrhabby says:

what a joke…mtl cops way to nice.

17. teebs says:

This vid made me sick to my stomach, how many ass clowns looting stores. Only takes one (or maybe 4) to break a window before these idiots start ransaking the place. I hope there are more arrests made. This is a black eye on the Habs and on the hundreds of thousands decent, law abiding Habs fans.

Brutal

Why put a damper on an absolutely incredible night?

18. HabsFanInTampa says:

I’m ashamed for the handful of idiots who always riot after every series victory. Act like you’ve been there before you morons.

19. smiler2729 says:

First, all I saw when I clicked was a hair commercial and I lost patience and clicked off so whatever groundbreaking Gazette-video of looting you got was not seen by me. And second, WHY ARE YOU GIVING THIS MORE AIRTIME??? QUIT PLAYING IT UP! DON’T GIVE THE IDIOTS THE SATISFACTION.

20. CBrady12 says:

First of all i said A LOT not all, I dont have to defend what I said, It’s right there is the video… You think those girls looting foot locker even watched the game? I don’t have anything against black people, or arabic people or anybody and Im sorry if Im being stereotypical but for christsake this video certainly doesnt help

21. Habalisous says:

How embarrassing.

Remember what Cherry said about how the hockey gods reward kindness…I wonder how they feel about this?

Karma can kill.

Grow up ya frickin morons.

”You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” – Wayne Gretzky

22. Hockey Socks says:

Most of the real fans started leaving at about 11:30-12. The looting started right about after that.

23. soperman says:

It is a shame that some moronic thugs leave such a bad image when so many fans are just there to have some fun.

“Pusie possessed a wickedly wild shot, so inaccurate that he could not hit the province of Quebec if he was standing inside the Montreal Forum.” Dick Beddoes

24. kempie says:

After being at game 5 in 93 and seeing the same thing repeat over & over since, I’m going to predict this: It’s a matter of time before the actual fans (who outnumber these morons by a vast margin) start to say enough. I can see some serious beatdowns coming. Really how many fans in the street -50,000? 100,000? And 250 morons. Easy math.

25. Bryan says:

The video’s not working for me :(

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

26. Big Bird says:

Couple of cents from the peanut gallery:

(1) Those were not Habs fans.  They never have been and they never will be.  Classless.

(2) If you see riot police marching towards you, it’s best to move quickly in the complete opposite direction or stand clearly aside.  Get in their way and you face the consequences.

(3) I resent the implications that all of the looters were of only one nationality or race.  If you look at the whole video there is lots of blame to go around.  Before saying they were ‘all black’ remember a certain #76 plays for our team.

(4) If you watch the video, there is one girl there who is trying to stop people from looting the SAQ.  Anyone who took photos should forward them to the police.  And they should post all of the looters pictures on the front page.

27. pmaraw says:

TEK SAVVY!!!!

28. MontrealAtheist says:

I think it’s too late to come up with a nickname since the whole world now knows him as Halak … And besides, with a name like that who needs a nickname? :-)

29. MontrealAtheist says:

Yes Halak was a last round pick so he was far from a top choice for Gainey when he got drafted … Heck, Gainey had to pick someone and there were not that many players left in the pool, so much for Gainey being a genius/visionary for drafting Halak.

30. MontrealAtheist says:

I see … So based on your logic every 6/49 winner is a genius and a visionary for picking the 6 numbers that he did?

31. Slovak says:

IMPORTANT,

as some of you look for Halak´s nickname, I have one, I did write it before several times. His first name JAROSLAV can be divided in 2 parts: JAR-OSLAV in slovak language in word to word translation it means excatly this:

Jar = Spring

Oslav = to Celebrate

So what if we make a short version and call him simply MR. SPRING – or just – SPRING

There are several more reasons to call him like that:

1.He brough energy of Spring to whole team

2.He can fly like spring birds do :-)

3.He melted the ice cold Penguins and he seems to be able to melt any opponent offensive players out there

4.And it is kind of indian – good karma name

Any other reasons for calling him that way? :-)

32. ThirtyThree says:

Started thinking about Guillaume Latendresse today. It’s gotta burn, Guy. It’s gotta burn.

And on the flip side, his good buddy Maxim Lapierre, who stuck it out, found his place, and is now playing great and is in the final four. To him, hat’s off. The city loves ya.

33. Habscore says:

What an embarrassment!! It was all fun and stuff until 11.30 pm when all the stupid young ones, who are pretending to be fans and don’t watch the games, come with this ‘bullpoop’…thank god, I missed all this looting, cause I left when it was getting a little too crazy there. It sucks cuz Cops actually closed the street so fans can celebrate safely, and there you go with this stuff. Cops were way even nicer than usual to everyone(they are fans too)

I love my city, and the celebrating is simply amazing, specially while driving around and fans sitting on their car windows showing off the colors. :)

Will they let us celebrate now or what?? What if we go all the way to Lord Stanley, what will happen to downtown MTL??

– YES HABS CAN!! –

34. Propwash says:

I was in the blue Yaris with my gf hanging out the window with the go Habs go foam hand, I had the Flag waving and wearing out my horn lol

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

35. Kristopher7 says:

I was at the game and then went to drink at Grumpy’s afterwards, and after that went to eat at Miami Deli.. got home at about 6am.. I didn’t see anything.. just riot police standing on St-Cath.. where did all the riots happen?

36. Habscore says:

LOL In a black Cobalt with my white Habs tuque and red scarf, with my girls waving the flags next to me. Mostly on Sherbrooke and Rene-Levesque.

Last time when we eliminated the Caps, I was bymyself ( :( lol ), honking the horn  and screaming with tears of joy haha!!

– YES HABS CAN!! –

37. Le Jadester says:

Ya I know what you mean……….but me and a friend of mine were talkin’ about Saks ?  I wonder what everyone’s thinkin’ there ?

Habs, OLE !

My blog click here for possible tickets for the finals. I am working on it now, in the eventuality.

come first serve on the blog and only former posters of this site plus one guest. I
    am trying to secure 100 tickets, no guarantees as yet.

Do not leave your personal info on the site. Use your HIO contact profile for it.

39. Propwash says:

Took almost an hour to get from Atwater to Guy on Ste. Catherine. Totally worth it tho, im pretty sure Im in a couple of youtube videos

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

40. Ton says:

Was away for 3 days and escatic about the win. Still you get sick of posts about gainey, price, and halak proving them wrong etc etc etc. We won as team!  Answer the questions;

1. I ask who built 99.9% of this team?

2. penguin gm shakes who’ s hand yesterday at the games end?

Bottom line Gainey passed this team for personal reasons, family loses, career fatique, lifestyle change, retirement plans, etc. not because of price vs halak, molsons were going to fire him etc. He cashed in big time with bonuses from the sale of the team providing him the security to do the latter. We are and we were priviliged to be directed and managed by a brilliant mind and good person whom sacrifised himself for this franchise as a player and manager. From us knowledgeable fans who remember how you froze your shoulders to play games for us, took the franchises moral from a all time low to what it is now, you rvived our passion and deep love for our team. thank you Bob please stay on in your present role forever.

41. Anonymous Canadiens Fan says:

Worst of all, is that media everywhere is labelling the looters and troublemakers as Montreal Canadiens fans. Not a good representation. Who the F loots anyway? Where do we live? Its mindboggling to try and figure out how such a happy and exciting time for Canadiens fans everywhere turns into something so illogical. The Canadiens win, so let me get angry and smash some windows…I really hope these people on video doing these things all get busted, drunk or not.

I am so psyched for the next series and the potential of meeting Chicago in the Finals, but i’m worried to wonder what will happen if we win?

42. Habitant in Surrey says:

…just a few thoughts and opinions:

…gotta give Sid Crosby a little slack …Sid looks kinda burned-out …more psychically than physically …He has played A Lot of meaningful hockey over the past few years …especially the past year …He HAS to be ‘available’ to every reporter, journalist and NHL marketing bonehead …maybe The waddlers bowing-out early is the best-thing for Sid right now

…Malkin is an elite-player that NEEDS his own team …being number 2 to Crosby is keeping Malkin from truly being the player he can be …The Waddlers should look at freeing-up cap space and finding higher-end wingers for Crosby and Stall

…Gonchar as well looks ‘burned-out’ …or He had a bookie wagering against His Waddlers last night

…wasn’t pleasant for Gomez, Gionta, Hamrlik or Spacek not being invited to play for Their respective Olympic teams …BUT extremely ‘lucky’ for Us ……and Team Canada

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

43. Sith says:

Embarrassing :(

44. badbalance says:

There was once Detroit and the Russian five, Won Consecutive cups and never got burnt out.

45. Rah514 says:

I’ve been reading habsinsideout for a long time now, just decided to create an account.

I just wanted to say I was on st catherine street but a little bit down from these incidents and I have to say these people are not hockey fans simply opportunists looking for a good reason to commit crimes in a mob mentality. I met a lot of good people though downtown last night and had a good time celebrating with other fans.

46. MontrealAtheist says:

I ask who built 99.9% of this team?”

Are you saying that picking a set of capable players is the only condition for success? Most coaches in the league would still find a way to screw up with the current Habs’ roster and to get eliminated against the Caps. Just imagine if Carbo was still in charge or if Boudreau was coaching these guys.

And one unexpected injury or some results from other games that didn’t go our way could have foiled this playoff run by making us miss the playoffs entirely. Remember, we needed a loser point in the last game against the Leafs in order to qualify, so it seems “Bob Gainey’s team” could just easily have missed the playoffs.

If the current situation of making the playoffs on the last day with a loser point and then embarking on a Cinderella run for the Stanley Cup was Bob Gainey’s master plan for the last year, this guy should have been fired for incompetence long time ago.

47. Mr. Biter says:

Could not have said it any better.  Great post.

48. MontrealAtheist says:

Not sure if this is where the riots began but there were guys throwing bottles at policemen at Ste-Catherine & Bishop last night between 11:30 and midnight as I was passing through that area. Crazy stuff.

49. Habitant in Surrey says:

re-post:

“…the back’n’forth whether (Hall Of Fame) Robert Gainey was a
    ‘genius’, competent OR incompetent GM will not stop as long as ALL of Us
    have the ‘freedom’ to express Our personal opinions

…the amount
    of Our Fans callin’ Bob a genius may be reduced a little IF We lose
    Game 7 against The Waddlers …those calling Bob incompetent obviously
    are not literate enough to understand the definition of the word
    ‘incompetent’ “

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

50. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:

Like his face/head mask with the drawing of a wall,Halak is truley “THE WALL”.(Ask Pittsburgh what was blocking 7 point blank range shots in the third period in game 7 and they will probably say”a wall”,as no human could play like he did).

nuff said

51. lavie says:

Gainey down; Halak up. Honestly, as true Habs (and Hockey) fans, we have to face the reality.

Gainey is a diamond, but he has stains, mishandling Price is one of them, but as a whole, he is still a genius.

52. Harani says:

Connor McKenna reports that the Canadiens are very close to signing a contract with Alexei Yemelin which will bring him here to North America.

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

53. MontrealAtheist says:

What if the Rangers had one more point in the regular season and had made the 8th playoff spot instead of us? Gainey’s contribution to the team would have been unchanged, yet I doubt anybody would be talking about Gainey’s genius right now since we would not even have made the playoffs …

54. SeriousFan09 says:

Wow, that would be a coup for the team, bringing over one of those oft-troubling Russian prospects plus Alexander Avtsin.

Amazing what a little success does to get everyone interested in playing for the Canadiens.

55. Les Habitants says:

He’d be a great replacement for Hammer if PG decided to free up his $ 5.5 mil for Halak and Pleks this summer, from what I been reading on various scouting reports these last few years He’s a good defensive defensemen with a mean streak, a liking for the dirty stuff and was NHL ready over a year ago

HAPPY B-DAY HALAK AND PK!!!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

56. SeriousFan09 says:

What if we hadn’t lost our MVP defencemen and every Top-6 forward save Plekanec for long stretches this season and seen half of our D corps hit the IR list which basically got Air Canada to start an extra direct route between Montreal and Hamilton?

57. Tis Himself says:

Just have to make sure their heads are aligned with the current room. Given Gainey’s successful heart transplant, you can’t introduce a set of apparently healthy, well-functioning organs willy nilly.

58. habsguy92 says:

i love dexter

59. Les Habitants says:

100% agree

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

60. joe-hab-nuno says:

This really sucks. Habs are going to have a really high pick this comiing July.

61. Les Habitants says:

I was thinking, we need a good nickname for Halak.

My buddy calls him “the puck gobbler” but I think we could come up with something better.

Any ideas?

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Avtsin will be sent to the schoolmaster in Hamilton before he ever hits NHL ice I’m sure, transition from the international ice and learning the NA game will not have him join the Canadiens ranks right away, unless he scores 20 goals in the pre-season or something.

Yemelin I don’t know, this could be good, our own Anton Volchenkov but we’re only going to find out once he gets here. He was a KHL League Champion this year and posted very good points when he was in the KHL playoffs so those are good indications of his compete level I think. Find out, can’t hurt to give him a try and it just might help.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

There’s always fresh blood needed to pump new life into the heart.

64. Les Habitants says:

Our 1st rounders haven’t really been come out roses lately anyway.

We do our best work in late rounds anyway, wasn’t Halak a 7th rounder?

PK in round 2. We’ll be o.k.

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

65. arrow says:

I call him Heart-Attack-Halak. I also coined G-Men (Gorges/Gill)

Well he’s gone from Rebound to Velcro.

67. Y says:

I will definitely fly out to Montreal if you can get tickets to the finals!

68. Les Habitants says:

Not bad!

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

69. WestHab says:

back to the clip.  It sucks because for all the people that want to put Montreal and the Habs down they have something to cheer about.  I know this is a small group that push the party down but it still sucks.

Les Schtroumpfs Sont La!

70. lavie says:

Maybe we should look for another Gill from south of the border or another Gorges from BC or another Subban from ON.

71. Tis Himself says:

If it isn’t the right type, it can do more harm than good.

72. AndyF says:

I think you folks running the site should put some else up as the last post-game article.   Most people will only see this one as the last snapshot of a game and a series well-played, and that’s the wrong picture.   The terrible actions of a few dozen people should not influence our memory to this degree.

Please put up another one of your well-written articles soon!

AndyF

http://andyfroncioni.com – Site of Aerolab, A Virtual Windtunnel
    for You and Your Bike

73. Propwash says:

It wasn’t Habs fans, it was opportunistic douchebags that went and spoiled a good party.

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

74. Ton says:

what if, what that, it is what it is buddy, gainey’s team, were in the coference finals with gainey’s team, go bake bread for your name suits you fine, atheist mean one that does not believe

75. CHsam says:

I want poutine.

76. Tis Himself says:

At least our opening is 7:00pm Sunday night!

77. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Another ‘History will be made’ video featuring Brian Gionta.

78. pmaraw says:

Thank God for these few days off.  I dont just mean for the boys either.  I mean for all of us fans as well, I think we all need this time to sit back, relax and enjoy the moment.  All these game nights everyother night, each game more important than the next, each period more intense than the last!  Each goal scored on us, and each one we got back, being down 2-1 in a game or down 2 games to 1.  This break is truly good for all of us!!!  What an emotion filled season, what a ride!!!

79. pmaraw says:

omg, i cant believe his wife is dead…

80. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ve decided to take a crack at examining what number of starts a
    goalie should have in the regular year and why your best shot at a Cup
    rests in a goalie who plays under 65 games a year in my latest
    blog post

Keep this in mind when Jaro is the undisputed No. 1 man around
    here next year.

81. HABZ24 says:

the drive for 25 is half way there!!  thank you bob gainey, turns out your a genius, who knew. im stil in awe cant believe this is happening. awesome effort by all. go habs go

82. habber86 says:

jarosave

83. Bugs says:

Disagree.

Gainey had “carte blanche”, remember.

But being asked to play Halak over and over again in no unsubtle terms might’ve caused him to turn it back in.

As for his free agent signings, I think it all went down the way he hoped it would.

My opinion.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

84. Bugs says:

He’s busy with the mine explosion thing at the moment.

How ’bout Medvedev?

Superfluously redundant, I remain

85. shaver18habs says:

My take, sure Gainey couldn’t guarantee this version of the Habs would do what they have in these playoffs (none of us could) but he assembled a team that he believed had a better chance of doing it than the team he took over coaching last year.  Everyone in every job makes mistakes along the way and in my opinion Bob Gainey has done a lot more good then bad since he took the reigns.  He is a Hab through and through and has dedicated a good part of his life to bettering our beloved franchise.  He deserves nothing but our respect.

I have to eat some crow though because as much as I believe Kirk is playing a huge roll…..I think we’ve been witnessing a system of sorts as of late that seems to be working.  Go Habs Go

86. OneTimer says:

Yup, 98% of us were just out to celebrate and have a good time. No property damage required. I was there both last night and two years ago, and as usual a few bad apples spoil the bunch. Sad. :(

Good news is, in the YouTube-and-cellphone era, these douchebags are much more likely to get caught. Fingers crossed.

87. shaver18habs says:

perfect, it flows off the tounge

88. shaver18habs says:

The worst way to argue a point is with a “what if” but to amuse you…what if Cammi and Markov didn’t get injured this season?  What if AK played to potential? What if the Rangers got one more point in the reg season and the Habs had won one more shootout…….cmon man think about it

89. OneTimer says:

Slink back to your holes once again, negative HIO “fans” (you know who you are)! You won’t be missed!

To the rest of the faithful, enjoy the ride! Woo!!

90. BJ says:

Very interesting article and of sound reasoning. By the way I tried to post a comment but it does not seem to thread? Perhaps my mistake. Thanks for that bit of good research.

91. BJ says:

I agree. Russians seem to be very high maintenance and the KHL bargaining chip makes the stakes too high to risk draft picks and long term contracts. I remember Victor Tikhonov (retired CCCP and Red Army (CSKA) coach) saying that the one thing that the Russians could not match up against Canadians is their drive and determination (I would add that same determination to USA players also now, as this was said many years ago). So even though times have changed I still see the same phenomena with Russians and to make things worst they have lost to a certain degree the very strong team concept they had in the 60’s and 70’s.

92. HabsRadio says:

I was in the riots and unfortunately had to run away from things happening three times in the span of 30 minutes!  Thankfully none of the trouble was from actual Habs fans from what I could tell.

We talk a lot more about it in Killing In The Name Of Gary Bettman: http://www.HabsRadio.com

===========================================================================
    Check out http://www.HabsRadio.com for a fresh take on all things Habs. Blogs, Discussions, and of course, the Podcast!

93. Aaron13 says:

Gainey has been burdened with the loss of a wife and a child. Losing a child is devastating. I believe he was depressed as well as having to deal with the tremendous pressures of being a GM in Montreal.

94. MontrealAtheist says:

Jacques Martin definitely deserves the bulk of the credit since there are few coaches who could lead this current roster to success. Both Pittsburgh and Washington have a lot of talent in their teams, yet they lacked good coaching.

Besides, let’s not forget that we barely made the playoffs … An unexpected injury, one point less or just one extra loser point for the Rangers could have made us miss the playoffs entirely and nobody would be here talking about Gainey.

Dare I say that we also had some luck on our side to make 8th place in the regular season? And had we missed the playoffs by one point, would people here also be blaming Gainey for the failure?

95. MontrealAtheist says:

Sure losing a child is devastating, but this is his personal life and if it affects the soundness of his decisions as GM it would seem that he is no longer fit for the job.

96. MontrealAtheist says:

Remember that it was George Gillett who hired Gainey, so why not go one step further back and credit Gillett for the current playoff run?

And by the way, I would hardly call reaching the playoffs with the last game and only because other teams’ results went our way the work of a genius and the situation could very easily have been different … With the number of points we had, it is in fact very lucky to have reached the playoffs to begin with.

Calling Bob Gainey now a genius is not very different from calling a 6/49 winner a genius for picking the 6 numbers that he did.

97. Omit says:

HH

Not good enough.  You have to write on the blackboard 100 times -“Gainey was right and I was wrong”.

98. Habitant in Surrey says:

…went to sleep last night only hearing about the ‘good’ celebratin’ last night in Montreal …and woke-up watching CNN’s story on the riots and window-smashing into downtown stores

…made Me ashamed to be a Habs’ Fan …needed to take a second-shower to get the associated ‘stink’ off My psyche …My son came home from school just now, telling Me His highschool friends were using the story to make fun of His Fandom of Our Habs

…makes Me sick, embarrassed and ANGRY

…I am ol’ school like Ian …I am The Nicest Guy You Ever Met …until You start messin’ with Me, My Family, My Friends …or My property

…The Habs are part of My ‘Family’

…I agree with My Guru, Bugzy …Montreal Cops should, everyone of Them, be equiipped with Tasers on post-game duties …FRY their shitz-azzes on the sidewalks !!!

…AND, if You are a physically-strong Habs Fan seeing THIS goin’-on ? …DO something ! …because those shitz are futzin with Our Good Name …and to Me, THAT is personal

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

99. DavidKB says:

Hear, Hear!

100. likehoy says:

i would rather face the flyers. the flyers are an offensive team and we’ve mastered the art of stuffing an offensive team.

the bruins are a defensive team, what’s going to happen when two defensive teams run into each other!? will the world cease to exist?

101. pmaraw says:

I heard he’s got a bunch of manaquins in footlooker uniforms that he talks to all the time about ‘bad’ calls.

102. Le Jadester says:

I hear Ya H. in S. but those looters, vandels and hooligans are not Habs fans.  They are PARASITES.

No need to be embarrassed or ashamed. Its the lowest common denominator of human behaviour and its been around since the dawn of man, throughout the planet. Nothing we can really do about it except lead by good example.  Parasites like that will always be the minority.  Good will never fall to evil, ever.

Habs, OLE !

103. VancouverHab says:

Agreed — the cretins are the reason God created tasers…..

104. kempie says:

There. Don’t you feel better now?

105. MontrealAtheist says:

I certainly don’t approve of what these rioters/looters did but how do you know that they are not Habs fans? Where does it say that you have to be a law-abiding citizen with a clean police record in order to be considered a Habs fan?

There are millions of Habs fans in Canada and I’m sure a few of them are not quite as law-abiding and might even steal things from others on occasion.

106. MontrealAtheist says:

Would be interesting to know how many of them actually watched the game or were wearing Habs gear last night.

107. petrov14 says:

Hahaha! I thinking about the whole “TANK” plan last night. But really, who knew we would be here?

______________________________________ Gionta for Captain.

108. adameliesen says:

I hate when dumb people do stuff like this, it make’s montreal look bad. I hope the police can contain this better in the future. Dumb idiots are the ones doing this, not habs fans.

109. Kain292 says:

Alcohol + mob atmosphere + bandana = free liquor. Stuff like this gives us a bad name. Hope the cops don’t stand and watch next time..

110. ANSPI says:

Most of the people looting just looked like petty thugs, none of which were part of the celebrations. Whenever there is a mass of people in the streets, criminals have their day, as they can take advantage of the fact that the cops are too busy with the crowd. At least there is plenty of video footage and photographs of these idiots, so the police can identfy and arrest these thugs.

111. OnSensLaCoupe says:

On the metro this morning, the driver on the loudspeaker says:

“Welcome to the Canadian Express. Direction Stanley Cup. Next Stop : # 25″

I love this city.

112. Irishhabsfan says:

Guess they can’t say much  about the Soccer Hooligans of Europe when things like this happen.

Turn over the video to the authorities and charge those that can be identified as they do in Europe. I would wager that    the vast majority of those idiots , if not all ,did not even attend the game.

113. Dee says:

That is so disgusting.These people are not HABS FANS they make beleive they are fans.Bring in the fire trucks and put the HOSE on them maybe that will help.Oh yes, then they will sue the fire dept for ruining there cloths that they STOLE out of the shops.This has to stop.I agree with Ian but then they will run home and say they hurt me, the parents will say my Jonhnny would never do somthing like that,well mom & dad take a look at the picture that is your little Johnny! I am just disgusted with these low life’s.I still say leave them in jail till the plaoffs are over make them clean the streets by hand with a broom and shovel.Oh yes and a HUGE FINE!!!!! Really sock it to them maybe they will think twice before they do it again.

Habs Fan 4 Ever & Ever Amen.

114. m ross says:

I refuse to view this video because they are nothing but a bunch of losers and are NOT true Habs fans!!! Let’s not play their game and give them all this attention. Show the true victims in this, the store owners who I’m sure spent a sleepless night last night. See how the cowards hide their faces! Lock them up until this dream playoff run is over…….

Go Habs Go

115. deuce6 says:

Is anyone else really annoyed with all the bandwagoning going on? There are actually Leafers and a lot of Sens fans getting on..Screw you guys..Stop trying to crash a party..Most of you “fans” that have gotten on the wagon, get off, because this ride is meant for Habbers only..

Like the bully that picked on you through highschool but tries to be buddies with you after you win the lottery..

When we were a non playoff team, we were crapped on and even when we made drastic changes to our roster coming into this year, we were “too small” and Gainey made “sideways” moves..

Go to hell to all the bandwagoners..Habs fans only..I respect Leafers that hate the Habs more than Leafers that don’t..

GO HABS GO!!

————- “Winning is fun!” – Hal Gill

116. SeriousFan09 says:

Wiilie Mitchell of VAN slams Campbell’s wheel of justice.

117. pmaraw says:

No, I am giving out free passes to the bandwagon for all my friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances.  The more the merrier!  It is turning into Canada’s party.  Canada needs a Cup and the Habs are its only hope.

118. pmaraw says:

thank goodness someones saying it.

119. Danno says:

The video isn’t loading for me….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

120. SeriousFan09 says:

More people should be speaking up, Marc Savard and David Booth should have called him a gutless piece of garbage who bends over backwards for the star players, NHL golden boy teams and meathead goons. In less charitable language than I’m using as well.

121. punkster says:

Nope. As a hockey fan if my team is eliminated I’ll still watch and cheer. Who I cheer for is my choice, not yours.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

122. Danno says:

Just tell them they have to burn all their Leaf stuff and swear allegiance to the Habs forever like a real fan does. We can have a huge ceremony (with a massive bonfire of flaming Leaf crap) with thousands of converts in Toronto switching teams. I think it would be a hoot.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

123. Bill J says:

There is no I in team, meaning if Canada as a country wants to back this team.

GREAT!

Complaining only reminds me of Cindy Crybaby.

The more the merier I say.

GO HABS GO!

124. shootdapuck says:

Maybe it was the crying that kept Mario up all night and he asked Siddy to leave!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

125. Xtrahabsfan says:

Welcome fans from all other teams and ENJOY THE RIDE ON THE AMAZING CANADIENS EXPRESS,buckle-up!

126. Clutch10 says:

Why are we giving these idiots any airtime?

127. notbigbird says:

You gotta be kidding.

128. slamtherimtim says:

to identify them and do something about it ,

129. slamtherimtim says:

anyone know if the cbc has a replay of the game

130. Grallis says:

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

What a joke for one of the great cities in world. Put a taser to the lot, and I hope that this video helps to apprehend them all.

131. Habs4ever Fan says:

Bring out those TAZERS!!!

HH’s Mea Culpa

Hell hath frozen over. I have some news for all you HIOers. I made a promise to one of my colleagues at work that if the Habs made it to the Conference Finals that I would never mention tanking as a viable option to rebuild the Habs ever again. There you have it. I’ve jumped off of the tank-wagon for good. I was wrong out about that one. BG was right.

133. zozotheclown says:

Conference finals baby, its just sinking in, and it feels amazing. Can’t wait to watch the pseudo important game tomorrow, going to be fun.

134. camel_larry says:

41 arrested. By that do they mean 41 people arrested? Or perhaps #41 continued his stopping-streak after the game by stopping the riot & arresting 41 people, just because he can?

135. camel_larry says:

Makes sense.

136. SeriousFan09 says:

The drapes had fallen down in Jaro’s bedroom last night but he felt like sleeping in so he told the sun it would have to wait to rise until noon.

137. punkster says:

Well done HH. I have ordered the Anti-Tank Militia to stand down. We’ll have a beer together to celebrate.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

138. likehoy says:

could we say that your “tank” finally drew a “blank?”

139. likehoy says:

the bandwagon is getting ridiculous, but i rather have more friends than enemies.

140. Grallis says:

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

Idiots like that deserve it. I really feel for the true Montrealer’s who love their team, and love their city, to have to deal with garbage like that…unacceptable.

PS

Love the Leaf Nation hopping on the band wagon!

141. camel_larry says:

WIN

142. EricInStL says:

I lived in Park-Ex for 38 wonderful years until I moved away to St-Lazare, hence the ericinstl nickname.

I have seen this city go from a metropolis to a city with a spineless mayor and a bunch of mini-kingdoms with as many do nothing mayors.

What we need is ACTION and LEADERSHIP and GUTS. Stuff the habs have in spades. A strong mayor would crack down on scum and kick ass no matter what any fringe groups say. We know who they are. Who are they ? They are the criminal elements who will go on to bigger and better things if you do not crack the whip. If they get away with it then they will feel indestructable and join gangs, be it biker, mafia, asian, black, hispanic whatever. Scum is scum. Scum has no boundary but scum has to be taught a lesson.

I was there in 1986 and 1993 and we saw these same types, you know who I mean, they wear hoodies to protect their identities. REAL hab fans do not hide themselves.

So please Mr. Tremblay DO SOMETHING.

143. pmaraw says:

i guess gainey’s comments about brian burkes rebuilding methods stand firm.

144. Habitant in Surrey says:

…the ‘inconsistency’ and ‘the illogic’ of Campbell’s (and by extension, The NHL’s) application of suspensions and fines have been obvious to anyone with a rational mind

…hockey if not properly rule-enforced can at times be criminally savage by certain players with pathological instincts or other players that simply too-easily allow themselves irrationalism in the heat of competition …there HAVE to be strict, consistent rules that are understood must apply to all whether superstar or the lowliest roll-player

…We as fans have to accept these ‘players’ are also humans with lives beyond hockey …there has to be a much more focussed effort to improve technology to protect the players from head-traumas especially …and no-tolerance rules for contact-hits to the head

…the speed of today’s game is simply too fast and the strength/size of today’s players simply too strong/big to not have a competent, professional policy made clear and strictly implemented …and it is irresponsible for the  NHL to allow Colin Campbell to continue this responsibility considering his feeble, dangerous record

…on the ice, it seems players generally are policing themselves better since the worst incidents this past season, but if the rules are not ‘seen’ to be rigidly and consistently enforced by the NHL soon there will be other players unnecessarily suffering career-ending, or life-ending-injury

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

145. Chuck says:

T(h)anks!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

146. Habitant in Surrey says:

…THAT is until the Draft when Pierre LaPue, da Cornichon de Chicoutimi …SCORER of 500 goals in the Q …is projected to be Number One

…let’s humor Them Dave

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

147. tricolortrue says:

the fans have spoken.

Would you prefer the Bruins or the Flyers in the next round?

Bruins
       (70 %) 361

Flyers
       (30 %
  148. tricolortrue says:

on a poll: fans chose Bruins-70% over the flyers-30%, on who the prefer habs to play.

have to agree considering all of Boston’s injuries.

149. tricolortrue says:

REPORT: CROSBY TO MOVE OUT OF LEMIEUX’S HOUSE.

I wonder if 1 of the rooms in Crosby’s  house was made into a baby’s room?

perfect for whiners.  In school, wonder if Crosby made the debate team, since he loves to argue.

150. Storm Man says:

I called my Grandfather today in Westmount to chat about the great victory by the team, He said what is with all the fuss in the press about some fools running around downtown steeling things and breaking things after a great victory, He said doing stuff like that is something you do when your mad and need to make a strong point about something like when the Rocket was kicked out of the playoffs, Young punks like that need a sound ass kicking is all, I said enjoy the rest of your day and I will be in town later next week. You have to love grandfathers no BS with them.

151. wd40 says:

agreed.  you’re lucky to have him in your life.

152. Fabio D says:

No Sympathy at all for these “looters”, far as I’m concerned, cops should find, arrest, throw in jail and make them pay full restitution for the damages, police effort, and material loss. Damn idiots giving MTL a bad name. Habs fans or not….gives all fans a black eye. Lving in Toronto, wearing my jersey to the office today, all people could say was great wins….what’s up with those riots?

Truly pathetic, parentless losers who would wreck stores in their city like that. Kudos to the one girl there who tried to stop the idiots from stealing.

Go Habs Go….loser troublemakers….go hang yourselves….

153. TOEmastro says:

Beautiful… brings a tear to my eye

154. Storm Man says:

Best one yet.

155. SeriousFan09 says:

A link for the lazy folks, or the hung over who have trouble with the glowing internet box this morning.

Beautiful moment, they need to save these HWBM commercials for when series are done, someone already remixed the Bieksa one with “What if this wasn’t completely irrelevant” on YouTube.

156. mike g says:

Brian Gionta has the latest “What If” commercial on NHL.COM right now, just added a few minutes ago…..

It’s a beauty, simply because of the phrase used to describe the moment. You will notice they don’t mention a name of a player, they mention our team…

That’s f’kin big!!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

157. HabsFanInVictoria says:

That is gross.  I would be ashamed to be in Montreal right now.  Do those people even watch the game?

158. Willy the bum says:

No, they found a good excuse to steal pumps at Foot Locker.

If I were that idiot, I go “derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…………”

The worst of it is gross for sure. Nevertheless, I am in Montreal and I’ll never be ashamed of my city, notwithstanding these imbecilic acts of wanton vandalism. The city and police need to come up with a better tactic to avert this type of behaviour. The team should make public announcements to the citizens like some sort of a publicity campaign to counter this and hopefully nip it in the bud before it gets worse. Definitely a stain on an excellent night. I just hope this crap doesn’t capitulate any further should the Habs move on to the Finals. Embarrassed maybe slightly. Ashamed? Never!!!!

160. habsfan reduxit says:

… maybe, just maybe, something would be done about this escalating situation of goonery if the NHL, the city council, and maybe even the provincial government demand the Habs home games be moved to the Quebec Colisee. The outcry might then be enough to spur some action. And I’d be closer so maybe I could get to a game or two.

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

161. coachdoug says:

Allright…enough about thugery and buffoonery in the streets of Montreal…Here is something that will brighten your day…Puck Daddy’s Eulogy for the Pens…

“The ‘System’ will not stop until it owns Lord Stanley’s Cup…All hail the System!”

162. SeriousFan09 says:

“By the way, have you ever seen anything more immature, lackluster, or
    wholly disappointing before? But enough about Sidney Crosby’s
    moustache, let’s get to his play…”

Favourite line right there.

163. Willy the bum says:

Those looters should be ashamed… oh, they don’t care if they act like idiots, so I’m guessing the next time they get out of the stores stealing or trashing should be whacked with baseball bats.

And I wonder that some stores have those metal fences put out like two years ago, when they were prepared for another riot…

164. Harani says:

Jaro’s got support even in Madrid at the Madrid Open for Tennis! Weird but ok? WOW!

“I gotta feeling…that tonight’s gonna be a good night!”

165. coachdoug says:

What a shame…Cops have to crack down early and quickly…next series win they need to control this as it really paints a bad picture of a great city…Montreal is such a great place to visit they don’t need this bad publicity…

166. No et al says:

The cops need to wear Habs sweaters and not those black outfits… nobody would throw bottles at them then.

167. Slovak says:

Hey Montreal,

I got something on my heart – can you please win the damned cup this year so that you will not be upset not to get one next year… there is World Championship held in SLovakia in 2011… and you would be very kind to lend us Halak for that one…:-)

AND YOU ALL ARE WARMLY WELCOMED IN BRATISLAVA FOR THAT OCCASION

PS: Maybe Slovakia will finally beat Canada in semifinals and get some damned medal finally at home :-)

And it would be also great if they give you the cup already – you deserve it and most importantly I would get some sleep instead of being up till 4 – 5 in the morning every other day watching miracle on ice going on and on and on and on and Halak saying nobody believed us but here we are on and on and on and on and on :-) I bet this will be his first sentence when you win the final game, but you know what maybe Jaro is not that good in english and he got only those few sentences as do I – he is just shy genius goalie guy. I hope you got some great celebration for your birthday Jaroslav and you read this blog with all those amazing people giving you great karma…

My greetings to Habs and Halak Jaroslav

Jar = Spring

Oslav = Celebration

Montreal got Spring Celebration in their Nets, if I only realize this before, I would not shake before TV because you got all sign on your way, just keep it going and stand by your team in good or bad, they deserve it, TAKE CARE MONTREAL

168. pmaraw says:

sorry about 2011, but we’re building a dynasty ;)

169. Habitant in Surrey says:

…loved Your post Slovak

…I have always preferred-overall Slovak and Czech hockey players relative to Russians since watching Stan Mikita and seeing the Team Canada exhibition game against Team Czechoslovakia in 1976 …I think Slovaks and Czechs play with more heart and intelligence than Russians in the NHL .

..and this year in 2010 ?, WHERE would Our Habs be without Our Slovaks and Czechs ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

170. Fansincebirth says:

OMG, this is freaking amazing….

Our beloved Habs who were supposed to be nothing more than a speed bump to Washington, not worthy of playing on the same ice surface as the omnipotent Sid the Kid have now become the hands-down favourite in the Eastern Conference!!!!

Makes me giggle…..

171. madmat411 says:

anyone know why i cannot play the video?

172. Fansincebirth says:

I couldn’t either. Might have been removed….

173. pmaraw says:

we’ll never know if leaf fans would do it.

174. Laramy87 says:

I hate seeing this, and other markets around Canada who hate the habs are licking thier chops. Talk shows here in Toronto are talking about it and asking if Leaf fans would do it. I understand its not the fans and a few vandles want to take advantage of a large crowd, but it is how its being portrayed here in Toronto and its frustrating.

That being said I wish i could have been there to celebrate the win, hopeful of being in Montreal for game 3.

GO HABS GO

175. Slovak says:

And one last thing about Jaro’s nickname and I let it be

In czech language word JARO = SPRING

PS: Latest news from WC – Russians thank Jaro for putting their ALL STAR TEAM TOGETHER…:)

176. Bryan says:

Hahaha, nice one!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me Bi-Polar.

177. GERRY FROM THE WEST ISLAND says:

5 Important key reasons the Canadiens are 1 round away from the Staneley cup Final.

REASON 1-HALAK

REASON 2-HALAK

REASON 3-HALAK

REASON 4-HALAK

REASON 5-HALAK

This year,for some strange reason is the near reincarnation of 1971.I mentioned that on my prior posts,now Red Fischer has stolen my idea,and made a column out of it.Even the score of our 5-2 win against the defending Stanley Cup champions Penguins was the same as the game 7 score against the 1970 Stanley Cup Champions Boston Bruins -5 to 2.

We will be playing Chicago in the final-as in 1971- and will win in 7 games.(Although i must admit Chicago currently looks unstoppable).

nuff said

178. likehoy says:

http://www.geekologie.com/2010/04/22/beards-full.jpg look on to disastrous beards, you’ll see a name that you’ll recognize!

179. pmaraw says:

pretty funny stuff lol

Hilarious!!

181. ThirtyThree says:

That really cracked me up – thanks!

182. coachdoug says:

Nice…Lol…He really does need to skip the facial hair until after puberty…just because everyone is doing it does not work for everyone

183. tdrmoss84 says:

Idiots…hope they fine these imposters and cite em….Go Habs Go!

184. Price_31 says:

That’s not so smart..buuut I’d still LOVE to be there

So true HiS. I’d like to see the Habs pick more and more players from those two Nations if possible in the upcoming years as a balance for some gritty and talented North Americans if our drafting staff can get their heads from out their behinds. Somewhat like a variation on the Red Wings’ Swede theme.

Here’s another thought which was bandied about during the last Olympics. Imagine if the Slovaks and Czechs were unified. Man that would be a dominant team.

186. Habitant in Surrey says:

…a Team Czechoslovakia would have had more than a couple extra Golds in WC and Olympic hockey over the past couple decades …if unified

…and my bet it would have been Team Czechoslovakia vs Canada in the Vancouver Olympics as well

…race, language, politics and religion Sure F*&ks-up A Lot Of Good Stuff …don’t it Dave ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

187. Slovak says:

Yeah, thank god people here wake up and are considering to set up one Cezechoslovak unified league. That would produce many more young talents and the number of Slovak and Czech players would be much higher. I said it before – employ Demitra he will be available next season and I also like Handzus from L.A. And watch those two young players: TATAR and PANIK, they will be great – both playing in WC this Year, we beat Belarus and Kazachstan and played good game against Russia, we have no players from NHL this year – Hanlon and Bondra are doing a great job with our young team there. But performance of USA is total embarrassment…

So have a great evening up there, am going to catch some sleep before the madness starts all over again…:-)

COME ON MONTREAL COME ON

188. BJ says:

Really hate to see this type of BS. I’m not sure what a solution might be, perhaps celebrations should be held around the Bell Centre for 90 minutes after the game and then its over and no groups allowed walking voletile areas such as St.Catherine St. I hate to even suggest it as I’m very conscious of rights being eroded by TPTB(The Powers That Be)and this plays right into their hands as a justification for less and less freedom. Having said that having been a press photographer for 40 years + I know that often times you can make an event look a lot uglier than the total view of things by simply isolating a few incidents. I was not there to determine that. But truly a shame for the unbelievable fans we have in Montreal (as viewed from Germany).

189. likehoy says:

embarrassing

190. STZA says:

I thought it was bad after Katrina where people were looting New Orleans to survive, but this criminal activity deserves severe punishment… The police brutality was definitely justified in this case.

191. andrewberkshire says:

I continuously find this confusing, because when it happens in Montreal there’s SO much coverage. However when Edmonton went on their cup run in 2006 there was billions of dollars in damage, and never would you see any video. I was in Alberta working that summer and White Ave. was absolutely destroyed after each and every round. It hasn’t even come close to that in Montreal, yet because of less than 100 idiotic thugs using celebration as a distraction, Habs fans get a bad rap.

192. RiverviewCanadien says:

F___ING Morons!

193. No et al says:

Sorry if this has already been posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysDphYqMG6M

194. Corio says:

The hooligans come out of the woodworks, never fails  :(

195. SeriousFan09 says:

Because it’s an opportunity to dump on the Habs, what other reason do they need?

196. pic1983 says:

Well said!  Im sure habs fans didnt bring masks and bags with them to the game planning to loot after! These guys were waiting for the, as you said, “distraction”.

and besides, who cares what everyone outside of montreal thinks anyways!? They’re all just haters!

This city knows how to party and have fun! Sure we get a little sloppy at times, but no big deal.

197. slamtherimtim says:

i will rat out my best friend if i see him in the video , way to bring the cops out for the next round , and they wont let anything go , i agree MORONS

198. alestar says:

No shame…man, am I ever glad he’s gone!

XXIV…and counting

199. andrewberkshire says:

Exactly right.

200. Sparta says:

Thanks to Phil Carpenter for his video, I hope the cops use it and arrest all those little aholes. That’s it, get a criminal record for a pair of ugly nikes and a f’ing mickey of vodka. Props to the chick who tried to stop the guys in front of the SAQ, you have bigger cohones than those little rats.

And honestly, if people are dumb enough to judge the whole Montreal scene because of a bunch of idiots, then they are just not thinking and already have beef with us. In ANY city, a crowd of 50 000 will attract 1% of idiots, thats just the way the whole human species work. It’s not just Montreal, get over it.

Can we get back to Hockey??? Please? WE ARE HEADING TO THE EASTERN FINAL PEOPLE!!!! Thanks to a team build on teamwork, character, leaderhip, sacrifice and heart. Now THAT’S MONTREAL! Go Habs Go!

Only passions, great passions, can elevate the soul to great things. Denis Diderot

201. mike g says:

Alright, I blew some steam after round 1, and I’ll do it again now….

F-U to Matthew Barnaby, Barry Melrose, that stupid UFC fighter who publicly stated in MTL that the Habs would lose to PIT, and every single other analyst who has yet to give any ounce of credit to this team.

F-U to that idiot Government worker in BC who said that the Vancouver Canucks are Canada’s team. Seriously buddy, if Canada as a country had as much heart as the Canucks we’d all be dead; because there is no heart there.

F-U to Ron Cook, that idiot reporter from PIT. He wrote yesterday that the Pens would absolutely never lose that game because of one reason; Crosby. Well, when you shoot the sh*t, sometimes you gotta be ready to eat the sh*t. “Mr. Cook, would you like a fork and knife for your meal”.

Yup, that felt good…

Thanks to all of you who keep me on the edge of my office chair all day long. You guys are awsome, we crap on eachother all day long, but it’s great.

Good stuff buys, long live HI/O!

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

202. crabvader says:

Haha, my old music teacher was on TSN.

The guy on the “delirium to pandemonium” video…

Seconds into it, he’s the guy who says “I’m so happy, it’s unbelievable”.

Of the 21,274 fans…what are the odds? Hahaha.

203. Le Jadester says:

Wonder if Dany Dyer will do an episode on the “Habs Ultras” in his latest Football Factories ?

Habs, OLE !

204. Jimmy Boy says:

Man, watching that video is really discouraging. The city is so accommodating to fans, allowing them to celebrate in the street and then it get’s taken advantage of. Its a true example of giving an inch and taking a mile.

205. Storm Man says:

Here is Cooks email if you want to send him his dinner rcook@post-gazette.com

Ian Cobb

Habs Inside Out Community Planning Celebration for our 25th!

ALSO.

We will be trying to secure 100 game tickets for the Final Series

207. crabvader says:

Like the policeman (chief?) said: “50,000 people out there and only 500 of them are actually turning criminal”.

We can’t say that we have bad fans nor can anyone else…

Just a few knuckleheads that I hope get what’s coming to them.

208. habs-hampton says:

I hope the judge is a hockey fan. Each and every one of them should get the maximum, whatever it is.

My advice for next time, is for the 99.99% who are law-abiding citizens to leave the Bell Center and head home. The leftovers will be easy to pick out and they can’t loot, or they will easily be nabbed by the cops. The sheer numbers on the street make it an impossible job for the cops and easy for the idiots.

I was downtown in ’86 when they won in Calgary. Me and my buddies hightailed it out of there when we saw things escalating.

209. crabvader says:

Don’t you worry your little head about Josh Koscheck (that UFC fighter you are talking about).

He was wrong about Pittsburgh and he will be wrong about another thing: GSP.

St-Pierre is going to wipe the floor so hard with this little bastard it’ll make everyone in Fresno’s head spin.

210. Bugs says:

Was watching it live last night. Few highlights:

In one “scene”, a girl is inspecting a pilfered piece of clothing to see if, I dunno, it’s a good label or if it’ll fit or whatever, and doesn’t notice the camera coming up to her face. She suddenly sees it, stares right down the barrel, turns scarlet red, and drops the incriminating item. Very funny.

In another shot, a jerkoff darts in front of the camera and plunges into a smashed establishment to get some loot…doesn’t know the cops have already secured the premises, does a remarkably quick 180 and sprints outta the place. Hilarious.

Guy who got batoned in the legs was worth a chuckle too, and that got me to thinkin about the fool what got tasered for runnin out on a baseball pitch. I stood and cheered. Taser those mofos. Taser’em good.

And air it. Cuz at the end of the day, makin 3.50 an hour and resisting the urges of immorality, nothing makes it more worthwhile for me than seeing a perfect moron dance to the beat of 50,000 volts with a Reebok sneaker stickin out his azz.

A fine evening to you, officer. Oh yes, carry on, sir. Please do carry on. Any way we can…uh, AMP it up? It’s funny to me.

Thanks.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

211. DiPaolo says:

That’s awesome.  I’m going to have that song in my head all day now !

I can’t seem to see this vidio. Box is black??

213. sailor2963 says:

So embarrassing, the few idiots masking as Habs fans.

214. lavie says:

No more disorganized celebration is allowed on the business streets, no more! City can provide a soccer field for after-game celebration if they want to drive there.

This was just disgusting.

215. Bugs says:

Try pressing “play”.

That worked for me.

Superfluously redundant, I remain

216. TOEmastro says:

I think they should just round up anyone that is wearing a bandana over their faces

217. lenny says:

OK…I hate the BIG ZERO…..but….I would love to be part of 60K fans going crazy!!!!!!

What are the chances of that?

Thanks I got it. How stupid these fools are.!

219. ManApart says:

Easy there. Jumping the gun a little aren’t we? There’s still 2 whole series to go. Is there a memo out to the remaining teams, that they should go home now, Ian Cobb says the Habs won the Cup, so it’s pointless to play. I dare you to go to Philly or Chicago and tell them that. I have a feeling they all won’t be so ready to concede.

220. Chuck says:

Oh please… Ian’s just being optimistic and leading the charge. Besides, to put together a gathering of HI/O folks he has to plan as far ahead as possible.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

221. ManApart says:

How many of you endlessly whined about Washington, hockey analysts, TSN etc. looking ahead of the Habs and not giving proper respect. Now that the Habs are looking good, Ian and others give the same dismissals and disrepect to other teams. I understand planning ahead, but don’t tarnish all Habs fans as being arrogant, hypocrites to other fans who visit this site. No wonder other team’s supporters hate Habs fans. They have a sense of entitlement and are classless a lot of the time.

222. punkster says:

Hey, Ian is a man of vision. The only way to plan such an event is to start now. If the Habs make it we’ll be there to see it in person. If not, no loss apart from Ian’s time. I applaud his foresight as I applaud Gainey’s.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

223. punkster says:

Last thing you’d see from Ian, or me, or Chuck, would be a sense of entitlement. I understand your concern but I see no sense of entitlement in his correspondance. And quite frankly we have enough classless people on this site to fill an arena on their own…and they’re welcome to do so ;)

FEEL THE PRIDE!

Hey James, I could use some help organising from someone thinking positive in Mtl. Have some fun with it!

225. K-hab25 says:

Speaking of arrogant hypocrites, that embarrass other Hab fans with there sense of entitlement and classless actions. How have you been?

226. ManApart says:

Ya, I apoligise to Ian and others for getting a little carried away. It’s just after seeing looters last night and many screaming that the Cup is in the bag, it can get one a little discouraged about being a fan of such a classy, character team, with a few of them trying to taint it for the rest of us. I just feel that when i go to Boston or Toronto and get called arrogant and classless, for wearing a Habs jersey, it’s hard to stand up for Habs fans as a whole with some of the behavior they show.

227. ManApart says:

Ok there, this coming from you….. Don’t you have a store to loot or something?

228. punkster says:

Cool. Those asses give us a bad name. Hopefully the huge number of videos and cell phone pics make their way to the police and into the media. Hangin’s too good for ‘em!

FEEL THE PRIDE!

229. Habitant in Surrey says:

…You are soooooooo VIVID Bugzy …LOL !!!

…made me pee My pants

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

230. Xtrahabsfan says:

All I have to say bout the riots last night in Montreal is that they are the least of the evils when you look at the stealing that goes on by our politicians in Canada…in fact the riots don’t come close.2) TASERS kill …I don’t think a broken window warrants a death sentence,do you ????Really? 3) TheRE is always options on dealing with problems, ASK THE HABS!

231. Le Jadester says:

Excellent Point when you do a contrast and compare.

Habs, OLE !

232. habsfan reduxit says:

… I agree with you whole-heartedly. But I still have to say ‘tsk, tsk, you shouldn’t talk politics here; I did so last week, and had my knuckles rapped. I guess some Habs fans just don’t want to think past the rink.

233. coachdoug says:

Puck Daddy takes a beating on this site but I think he probably has the best American hockey blog hands down…

Jersey Fouls is one of my favorite features…

234. VancouverHab says:

Ha ha!

Great article at Yahoo Sports:

Old-school Habs deserve to be America’s team

236. ThirtyThree says:

Beautiful. This team really is “old school”. What true fan doesn’t think the NHL has gotten too big? And what true fan doesn’t love that hockey, more than any other sport, allows things like grit, heart, and tenacity to surpass sheer talent? That’s why true hockey fans love the HABS.

GO HABS GO!

237. pic1983 says:

Good call!

They should show that theyre there to allow people to have some fun, but keep it clean.  By wearing those black outfits they’re acting as “the man” and no party-goers like “the man”.  I find it just makes things worse.

238. coachdoug says:

Good idea!

239. pic1983 says:

I agree! They should see this coming and take extra precautions!

240. TOEmastro says:

I think it’s time for the shop owners to start boarding up their places before games.

I was in Mexico last week, just outside the big jewelry store, was a cop with an uzi… you don’t F. with that

241. Chuck says:

Sweet… except that they need to change the tag line to “History is being made.”

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

242. wd40 says:

LOVE IT!

243. namgel says:

Next Win all Hab Fans need to keep their cameras rolling.  This will deter the few a-holes when 50,000 + Habbers video tape their dumb asses and send it in to the police.

I agree with Bugs, taser the bastards!

The ones that they catch, I hope they throw them in Jail and fine their sorry asses into bankruptcy. Put a couple of well placed bullets into a few of them. No respect gets no respect for these criminals.

A few bad apples spoil it for the rest of us. SHOOT A COUPLE I SAY!

My blog check out HIO posters celibration

245. Mikey_39 says:

These people are not even habs fans.  Just scum waiting for an excuse to vandalize.  They give this city a bad reputation.  Buisiness owners should be allowed to wait in their stores and shoot whoever breaks in.  Or at least wait there with a bat with a nine inch nail in the end.

246. SeriousFan09 says:

Just when I think Ian’s the kindly old grandfather to all us H I/O posters, he becomes the crazy uncle on the porch in the rocking chair holding the rifle.

247. shootdapuck says:

Ian,

Taser, pepper spray an gallon quantities or just good old fashion rock salt in shotgun shells!

They deserve no better!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

248. Malreg says:

Lol, an entertaining post from a discussion forum:

“I haven’t had the heart to check this thread since the Caps lost, because I was that fucking emo about it. Like, girlfriend just broke up with me, lost my job emo. But for whatever reason, I felt infinitely better last night. I take some solace in the fact that the Caps didn’t choke, but rather we lost to the ULTIMATE TEAM OF DESTINY.

Grats again, assholes. “

First come first serve and only former posters of this site plus one guest. I am trying to secure 100 tickets, no guarantees as yet.

250. barriesc says:

barriesc W T H

251. FeelsLike1993Baby says:

Bring on BOS or PHILLY.

My predictions: Habs in 5 against Philly, Habs in 7 against Boston. Final matchup: Chicago / MTL, Cup final.

This is based on very sophisticated mental guessing.

CHOCK FULL OF NUTS: Join my fan group of FB: http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=121593901202835

Pretend inferiority and encourage [their] arrogance.
    – Sun Tzu

252. pmaraw says:

I like it, its direct and to the point!

253. SeriousFan09 says:

Yep, because the American model is clearly working out so well for them. Not saying I like everything about Canada’s system, but the Old Testament crap has blown up in the American’s faces worse than the Sunbelt strategy has for Buttman. That’s all I will say though, don’t feel like having this argument (For the 300th time).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Great country this one TIMO, but it sure not like it use to be. The one word that is unknown today is RESPECT of your fellow man. There are some of our boys dying today to preserve that word around the world.

255. punkster says:

Oh, don’t get him started Mike. Always easy to take pot shots at Americans from up here north of the 49th. Even when there’s no basis for doing so.

On a much brighter note…how ’bout them Habs, eh? Tasty as an order of Benny’s falafel.

FEEL THE PRIDE!

256. SeriousFan09 says:

I critique a lot of things punkster, you have no idea how much I dislike my own country’s politics right now, weak-willed press worldwide, the hooligans who embarassed Montreal last night and a whole lot of other things.

United States has some policies I dislike, but they don’t keep me up at night.

257. WindsorHab-10 says:

I hope the disgusting SOB’s are caught & brought to justice a.s.a.p. All it takes is a few bad apples (stupid drunken idiots) to ruin what should have an accomplishment for the history books by our team. I was sick to my stomach seeing what I did on major networks this morning.

The kicker for me is this stupid Maple Leaf fan at work that came up to me and said that he loves the Habs (which is BS) but our fans suck. I simply told him to go to hell and stfu because it is stupid people like him that paint all fans with the same brush.

A damn shame.

258. habs4ever2894 says:

Couldn’t agree more. Why are some people so stupid?

259. habs03 says:

Wow, I was downtown after the game and other then one of two accidents everything was fine, the cops did a great job, on top of everything almost, even the firemen got into it, they had a little concert outside the bell center after the game, it was a great atmosphere, and it just sounds horrible because people are calling it a “riot”.

260. wd40 says:

Disgusting.  Looting and vandalism have nothing to do with being a Habs fan.  I hope they catch all those idiots.

261. TripleX says:

IAN ” GET OFF MY LAWN PUNKS!”

Ian is our Clint Eastwood….lol

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

I have a profound dislike for bullies and bandits 09.

263. SeriousFan09 says:

So do I, but if you start shooting stupid people well… We’re going to have a service sector employment crisis.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Everyone has always been welcome on my lawn or in my house anytime. But with respect please! Touch one of my kids, my wife or friends, then you have made the worse mistake of your life.

265. TripleX says:

Sounds fair to me Ian.

266. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I wish we wouldn’t give these looting idiots publicity. It was such a wonderful atmosphere until a handful of people ruined it.

267. andrewberkshire says:

Not many Habs jersey’s among the looters, so it clearly wasn’t the fans. I sure wish these idiots would cut it out for all of our sakes.

268. Habadabadoo says:

Seems to be the situation everytime this crap happens. I hope the police find alot more of the jackasses today.

269. RockinRey says:

What the ^%$%$ were these people thinking? I hope the Canadian press help the cops by providing photos. In the video you can see cameras going off from the press. HELLO! What are you idots? …you are on camera and video folks ! I hope it was worth it for that t – shirt or that bottle of booze. I hope they nail these losers! It’s a shame these people have to ruin what looked like a great party!

270. Shublips says:

What a win!  What a team!  This team is SO much like the one in 93′.  Here is the breakdown of how they are similar:

I believe.

The looting is idiotic.  People in the crowd who are NOT causing problems (which is probably 95% of the people out there) should gang up on and stop the idiots who do this kind of thing.

Habs Addict.com http://www.HabsAddict.com on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Habs-Addict/293450486615 on Twitter: http://twitter.com/HabsAddict on Hockeybuzz.com: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blogger_archive.php?blogger_id=137

271. CBrady12 says:

I don’t want to sound racist or anything, but a lot of those people had something in common but it wasnt their love of the habs

272. lenny says:

yes, that is racist. but sadly true…shamefull

273. frobasher says:

Absolutely shameful.

Unfortunately this is all outsiders remember. They don’t look at the history, glory or devine right as some will call it. They think all habs fans are troublemakers.

To think what will happen if #25 is a reality. Bring in the military or impose martial law??

274. SeriousFan09 says:

Why to these A-holes always have to make us look bad in Montreal? Fifty drunken idiots and every habs-hater outside of Montreal gets BS to use on us for 10 years.

It’s like the free trade protests that get ruined by the same 100 hooligans every time and marginalize the whole thing.

275. pmaraw says:

welcome back?

276. Edwardo says:

It just sucks that the morning after one of the greatest wins in recent Habs memory the top post on habsinsideout isn’t about the game. I know the newest posts always go on top, but it just really sucks that that is what we have to see when coming to this site to see all of the excitement.

It makes me hate this completely idiotic group filled with irrational teen angst even more.

277. Hammer says:

The looters are a bunch of jackals. These are the types that never go one on one as there is anonimity in numbers. They are a bunch of chicken s##ts that are an embarassment to not only Canadien fans but Canadians and Quebecers in general. get a life, an education and a job!!

278. kmachabs27 says:

NEEED GAME 4 TICKETSS!!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELPP

279. king ddd says:

wow buch of morons.. always have to ruin the fun for the rest.

.::moen for captain::.