Gauthier on the eve of the draft

Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier met the media today in Santa Monica.

Pat Hickey was there and recorded the proceedings.

1. ZepFan2 says:

wah…Gauthier this…wah Gainey that.

Don’t like where this team is going? Well there’s 29 others to bitch and moan about day in and day out!

It’s one thing to give your opinion. It’s another when all YOU do is whine over and over and over and over…

———————————————————–

Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.”
    - Sam Pollock

2. bigjames says:

did pat drive the honda out there or take the plane?

3. SeriousFan09 says:

Valentenko has barely played any KHL-level hockey in the last two years, they’re not exactly smuggling in the next Andrei Markov, got something like 19 pro games to his name including some AHL matches.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

4. erowne says:

Not at all, I like contrasting view points – most of you know more than I do about hockey. It’s why I come here. Easy on the slander though, I didn’t intend my comment as a personal attack on anybody in particular nor to ‘censor’ anyone. I didn’t realize how strongly this community felt about the subject of an ignore function. I was seeing it through a lens of convenience, not maliciousness.

5. anitaschwarz says:

funny :-))

6. erowne says:

edit: Double post.

7. erowne says:

That’s a valid point.

8. slapshot777 says:

+1  Great post. Take away the Gomez contract which seems to really be the only problem people have with him and Gomez is a good player. Gainey won the trade with the Rangers. Higgins never made it with the Rangers and moved, Valentenko wasn’t playing for the Habs so no loss there and like you said Sholi, the jury is still out on McDonough. Even if he do make the NHL you still have to way and see what type of player he will become. Gomez and Pyatt paid immediate dividends, which in my books is a no brainer on who won and lost that trade.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

9. The Cat says:

I dont know why everyone has it in for you, I dont know how you achieved whipping boy status, but from what Ive read, I think your posts are alright.

10. Puck Bard says:

Oh man that’s good.

11. The Cat says:

Not a good idea. The majority of us here are grown men, who hopefully have no need for a popularity contest.

12. The Cat says:

Ignore functions will spell the death of this forum so I doubt it’ll happen. I hope it doesnt happen. Why do people want great information? Are some of you writing a thesis or a book on the Canadiens? Got to keep it fun cause if it aint fun, whats the point?

13. G-Man says:

Good 1, Mike.

Let me get my eraserer.

14. Mike Boone says:

Typical right-winger who hates the welfare state but thinks “censor” deserves another syllable.

15. Exit716 says:

Gauthier traded Markov?

Personally, aren’t you tired of having to rely on a goalie to steal a series in order to win.

Maybe Gauthier is trying to build a solid team from the blueline to the forwards that won’t have to rely on freakish goaltending to win.

16. badbalance says:

Agree. there should be a thumbs up and thumbs down command where 5-10 thumbs down removes the post or something.

17. sholi2000.com says:

If I were the Leafs GM, would I have made that deal for Kessel?  They didn’t make the playoffs and they lost a chance at Hall or Seguin.

I would have kept the Leafs just the way they were and taken the lost season and went for Hall.

If they did, they could now be looking at drafting a future Premier scorer, and then they could have made a deal this summer to acquire a second goal scorer.  Kessel most likely would have moved on, but there are others out there that the Leafs could have traded to get.

Kaberle is their key to getting another top 6 forward, but at what expense?  Breaking apart their defense that has trouble moving the puck out of their own end.

They Call Me Shane

18. sholi2000.com says:

I disagree.  With Gomez’s 14 points in the playoffs, and the amount of penaties that he helped kill, he was a essential part in winning two very hard rounds.  Along with Pyatt coming is as a throw in, I figure we win in that trade.  What did the Rangers get?  Higgins, who may look like a NHL journeyman.  Ryan McDonagh, some say he may never make the NHL now and Pavel Valentenko, a player who plays the “should I stay or should I go now” song when things don’t go his way.

So looking at Gomez’s performance.  There’s only one way to look at his contract.  You pay for production (scoreboard), his PK talents, and what he does in the dressing room.

Everything you need help win.

Now with a little bit of help (injuries and a couple key players that didn’t produce), the Habs could have been in the Stanley Cup finals.

I’d say that was pretty good for a first year group of guy put together last summer.

Just stop looking at the dollar amounts, and look at what he brings to the Habs.

I know it’s only June, but I am already looking forward to a season of winning.

My glass is always half full.  :)

They Call Me Shane

19. nightmare_49 says:

It’s Burke’s day to howl so lets hear from Brian

Burke’s top priority is scoring forward

- “We’re trying to get better right now. Draft picks don’t help me right now.”

20. erowne says:

Can we please implement an ignore function! A petition might be in order? Something – anything to make reading this website easier. It has such great information but man am I tired (and no doubt many of us readers as well) of the labour associated with uncovering it.

21. jrshabs1 says:

Why does the sky fall in Habland everyday? Complain… complain.. complain…it never stops!!!!!

22. badbalance says:

Valantenko Comming back to North America, looks like Gainey will eventually be the loser in the Gomez trade…

23. nightmare_49 says:

Glad to see Mr.Hickey finally got us something from the pre-draft, i thought it was going to be a no hitter. BTW the questions were quiet decent and i hope he works  the scene for some scoops today.

PG says that there is no worries about not having made Benny a qualifying offer and they are still evaluating things and he will get an offer before Monday, so why announce the other 10 and lead us to speculation ???

Says Mr. Let Me Post This ALN with more typos than a krob post.

I agree. We can start by eliminating this thread.

I don’t mind hearing people whine about the Habs. What really annoys me is people whining about the whiners.

Tony242′s post did seem immature at 1st, then you responded to it in a way that made it look intelligent, astute and well thought out by comparison.

Goaltending has been the Habs crutch since Steve Penney.

28. TJV says:

I wonder who we might get for a backup goalie?  I think maybe Turco, or Biron.  Biron seems more likely though.

29. The Capitalist Pig says:

The Habs already have a competent backup goalie, Carey Price!

30. habs fan from stonyplain says:

thnx for being positive its fans like you that make the habs fans look so bad so don’t be jumping on the band wagon when carey has a bounce back year

31. W35T5ID3 says:

OOOhhhh the DRAFTTTtttt….Its soOOOooo Excitiinngg..

32. Castor says:

seriously. I’ve been on the Halak side (though I don’t even like calling it a side) for 2 years now. Now that he’s traded you know what? Price just became my #1 FAVOURITE Goalie.

GO CAREY!!

call me crazy but I support the TEAM

33. The Capitalist Pig says:

Nah, it’s people who boo the US national anthem that make Habs fans look bad. Take yer head out of yer bum and smell the fresh air of the freedom that we provide.

34. The Capitalist Pig says:

Until you see Sanford and Cedric he is!

That’s why we socialists boo. Beause we hate habeas corpus as much as you do. We’re just pissed that you’re all covert about it. Hockey is just the next step towards its logical conclusion, the public beheading, figuratively speaking of course.

36. The Capitalist Pig says:

Considering that some knucklehead kids chopped down a bunch of mail boxes in my neighborhood last week, I think it’s time to bring back the stocks! My wife thinks I’m extreme, but I disagree. If these ejits had to spend a weekend in such a device with outraged neighbors chucking rotten food at their faces, they’d see the folly of their ways!

37. Bozo McBozo says:

Man, another fandom gatekeeper. Keep your knickers on. You don’t decide who is or who is not a fan of the team. The person in question does. Sorry to blow up your kingdom.

How dare you talk to a real fan like that. Don’t you know that Habs fandom is the new zombie nation. Except it is Habs management that feeds on the dead brains.

Just check out the plan:

aptly titled California dreamin’

“We can get players or not via free agency or maybe we’ll make a trade, but one thing is guaranteed: we can always draft players every year,” reminded Gauthier. “With the new CBA and the salary cap world we live in, the performance of your young players is more important than ever. Just look at Chicago with Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane – two players who had a big impact on the Blackhawks’ Stanley Cup this year who weren’t taking up much Cap space.”

Sure PG. Another Toews or Kane is gonna be drafted at the 27th pick. They should call the article Tankifornia Dreamin’!!!

39. habsfansince91 says:

there are many great players that are drafted much later than the 27th overall pick.

And none of them are named Toews, Kane, Ovehckin, Staal, Malkin, Tavares, Seguin or Hall. The Hawks have 5 picks in the 1st two rounds. The Habs; 5 picks total and their 1st pick might as well be a 2nd rounder it’s so late. Think about that.

41. The Capitalist Pig says:

Please, the only decent draft the Habs will get this summer is by PG leaving his windows open at night!

42. habsfansince91 says:

i’m not saying we’re going to draft a superstar in this years draft. I’m just saying that you don’t need a top pick to draft a toews or kane, in any year.

43. SeriousFan09 says:

Funny story, if the Habs had just made better drafting choices in 2000, 2003 and 2006, this conversation wouldn’t exist and draft selections wouldn’t have anything to do with it. Canadiens would have Volchenkov, Kronwall, Getzlaf, Weber and Giroux. Tanking isn’t a necessity, team just need to improve scouting for a better future.

Team needs better scouting and smarter choices, a tank isn’t necessary if the decisions made were simply better.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

44. Bozo McBozo says:

You’re right, the Habs don’t need to draft the likes of a Toews or Kane. Hell, even if they had the pick to do so, they’d screw it up and draft some dude with a poor work ethic who doesn’t speak either of the official languages and was born at a Superfund site.

45. Bozo McBozo says:

If I had a million dollars, I’d buy you a house…

46. habsfansince91 says:

given their draft record the past 10 years i would say you’re right.

47. Bozo McBozo says:

Hey, it’s sad as all hell, but it’s true!

48. andrewberkshire says:

You’d buy a random person on the internet you’ve never met a house? Damn you’re nice!

49. G-Man says:

That’s “draught.” Think beer and you’ll realize why the Habs have sucked on Draft Day for many years.

50. habsfansince91 says:

can anyone tell me what he said in the audio? It wasn’t working for me for some reason. Thanks.

51. The Capitalist Pig says:

He said that had he become GM sooner Laraque would still be with the team. They saw veggie to veggie!

52. TripleX says:

I hear the Hawks are looking to move Andrew Ladd to an Eastern Conference team.

A big tough LW for say a cheap Pouliot?  Maybe that is what  PG is looking to move or maybe an even cheaper SK?

“Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.”

53. andrewberkshire says:

If we could get Ladd for Sergei I will jump for joy.

54. andrewberkshire says:

Does anyone else find Gauthier really arrogant? Clearly he feels like the media members are being annoying but there’s no reason for him to act like a jerk.

55. SeriousFan09 says:

Meh, could care less how he acts with the media provided his FO work carries though. Lot of these people are subjected to way too much media exposure for no reason and I doubt most of them enjoy it, well except Burke but he missed his calling as a corporate spokesman for BP. No reason to be rude, but I doubt it’s a part of the job Gauthier looks forward to and he’s probably got more important things on his mind, like Trades, RFAs, UFAs and his draft choices tommorow.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. The Capitalist Pig says:

Being a vegan screws with yer people skills. There is an article about it in the recent edition of The Lancet!

57. badbalance says:

Marleau signs in SJ for 4 years

58. SeriousFan09 says:

Probably cost a pick as well, but for Ladd? Why not, gritty and has size.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

59. andrewberkshire says:

Is there actually an article about that? I wouldn’t be surprised honestly, most vegans are quite pompous in my experience.

60. Bozo McBozo says:

I tried it for a week once and almost lost all of my friends. I had to invite them all to my place for a barbecue to fix things up!

61. shootdapuck says:

Pompous no but arrogant, dismissive, aggressive and “evangelistic” absolutely.

Always looking for converts to the cause!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

62. Kristopher7 says:

I’m vegan and I act the same as I did before turning vegan. So relax with the assumptions please.

63. zooziff says:

Why? Is Gainey vegan too?

64. SeriousFan09 says:

I think a certain vegan enforcer with a NMC soured many here about vegans myself.

I don’t care what people eat, you like what you like or you make your choice not to have something. I barely like any foods and I don’t drink so who am I to judge?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. zooziff says:

I’m vegan too. I have to laugh at this though. Good one before I hit the hay. My friends and family are cool with it (at least most are). I will always get some smart remark at gatherings but who cares. Do many people ask you why you became vegan? When you try to explain why sometimes they get so offended. It’s funny!

66. andrewberkshire says:

His attitude seems to me like it could burn a lot of bridges very quickly with staff and UFAs, and it worries me for the future.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

See what happens, he could be quite more personable outside of a media conference. Could get a better sense of how things turn out as the team adjusts their staff and makes some minor UFA signings (nothing big of course, roster is set).

Speaking in front of people or speaking in a more personal setting, I’m two entirely different people.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

68. Xtrahabsfan says:

Ah Mr. Gauthier,I’m  so happy to hear from you after you traded our best player”Halak”……….DICK!