Gauthier is gone

Pierre-Gauthier

The Canadiens have fired general manager Pierre Gauthier.
Principal owner Geoff Molson will meet the media at 11:45 Thursday morning at the Canadiens training complex in Brossard.
HIO will be there.
More later.

Media hordes are swarming in Brossard and the lines are blazing on all-sports radio.

Michael Farber of Sports Illustrated told CJAD listeners the primary criterion of a new GM is “smarts”. Quite aprt from language and the other peculiarities of the Montreal market, running a hockey team in 2012 is a tough gig.

Long gone are the days when the NHL was Sam Pollock and the Five Dwarfs.

The new man will have to be sharp … and he’ll need help, because running the Canadiens is not the one-man job Pierre Gauthier tried to pull off.

The question, as we await Molson’s remarks: What happens to the other guy in the front office?

What happens to Bob Gainey, architect of so much of the current misery (Gomez in, McDonagh out … to cite just one case)?

Given the timing of Gauthier’s sacking, will Molson appoint an interim GM?

And will Gainey be the man?

Answers to come … soon.

1. canadiens26 says:

NICE! I am very glad Gainey is no longer involved with this team as well!

• Here here ! That’s way overdue. Thank you Alfred E. Newman for Gomez. Now how do we fit him into a piece of luggage?

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

• dallyd31 says:

Still not sure why the disdain for Gainey. He lead the team out of a terrible spell,and built first place teams and conference finalists. He made a bad deal on Gomez, granted, but the teams were good none the less.

Teams will be clammering over him, and he will go on to manage a successful team somewhere else. What are the chances Toronto will court him again ?

2. He says th e traits that wre common to performing and great organizations, the root relies in consistancy and stability, which did not happen on the Habs. I guess he means from here oin out as this year has been a revolving door!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

3. JoeC says:

SAY IT! SAY IT!

Gomez and Kaberle will be starting in Hamilton next year!@

That would make the montreal fans more happy then PG’s firing

4. He says our team was decimated by injuries and although not an excuse, he supports the players regardless of the lineup. Believes we have a solid group of players in the core and have some exciting young players and have 7 picks in the first two rounds. Prioroity is to solidify core group, prepare for the fdraft and summers free agency market. Hmmm… smart boy

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

5. HabFanSince72 says:

Rudderless ship.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

6. He isn’t responding to questions. Hoping for patience. Now switching to English.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

7. DorvalTony says:

GAINEY IS GONE

yfrog.com/nsuzjlj

8. … and Molson’s French accent in Quebec is pretty good too.. Pointe a la ligne he said. And he’s huffing and clearly stressed. Couldn’t be an easy morning for him, not lot’s of hope. He is talking about winning, frequently. Champions, yay!

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

9. Good, Bob’s gone too!
    Serge Savard is in as councilor! Good for Molson.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

Bob Gainey replaced by Serge Savard as advisor.

11. ogilthorpe says:

Gauthier AND gainey gone…

12. arcosenate says:

Gainey’s gone too.

13. Captain aHab says:

So we’re re-establishing continuity by firing a bunch of people…who is his speech writer?

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

14. Vladdy Mondavi says:

CV is polished up, cover letter is written… now who’s left for me to send it to?
    _______________________________
    Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

• Mattyleg says:

Mister Molson,
      Big Brewery With The Flashing Sign And The Clock That’s Never Right
      Montreal
      C1H E1X

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Vladdy Mondavi says:

Good, as I’m never on time either… and I listed “established beer drinker” as one of my character traits.

_______________________________
        Opinions are like kittens, I’m giving them away.

15. HabsPEI31 says:

Anyone watching, can you please post here what’s going on? Not allowed to live stream video/audio at work.

“Only a goalie can appreciate what a goalie goes through.” – Jacques Plante

• shiram says:

Pierre et Bob are on the way out it seems.
      Serge Savard helps in finding replacement for those 2.
      Molson speaks of stability, in players and management.
      He flatters the fans also.
      Speaks of a winning philosophy, and aims for more than just a playoffs appearance.

Process of finding a new GM and the candidates will be kept confidential.

I think I covered it all.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• Captain aHab says:

They’re re-naming the team: Montreal 2-4s

—————-
      Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

16. showey47 says:

larry carierre not on the ice this morning at practice.

17. savethepuck says:

If Pierre Maguire is at this press conference, I’m going to have to go out and buy a new big screen TV, because I’ll fire something through the screen

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

18. 69HABS says:

To set the reocord straight about Ryder.

He did not have a drinking problem.

He was asked by Bob & Guy to play more defensive which he did & his goals went down.

So he threw some paper air planes big deal …

Get your facts straight before U comment!

19. punkster says:

Hi guys. Just logged in. So what’s new?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

20. habsfan0 says:

Benoit Brunet now on RDS claiming he wasn’t surprised that Gauthier was let go.

Just like he wasn’t surprised when he was dumped as colour man on RDS.

21. db says:

What about Bob?

22. 69HABS says:

Ding Dong the Vegan’s Gone ….

23. TomNickle says:

Darren Dreger tweets that Serge Savard is back as an advisor.

Gainey resigned.

24. shiram says:

Le signal du départ de Cunneyworth, selon Michel Bergeron

“C’est un poste prestigieux, les CV vont rentrer comme une tonne de brique et j’ai presque le gôut d’envoyer le mien !», s’est exclamé Michel Bergeron, également chroniqueur au 98,5 Sports.

Michel Bergeron trolling, or will he really apply for Hc?

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

25. What a soap opera! If Alfred E. Newman is still there after the lottery, the new GM and coach will be as negatively impacted as anyone else under Alfred E. Newman. No disrespect to Gainey for his great years of hockey and on ice leadership, but facts are facts, he sucks in head office! Oh and let’s not forget JM’s ongoing contract, let’s hope his system stays away as well. Boy, as a businessman (ha!, more like trust fund baby) Molson finds himself in a huge quagmire with what was once a crown jewel in his portfolio. Each time (this is three) the Molson family has bought the Habs they have sold it at a loss and destroyed the winning ways. Do I believe this time will be any different? Nope, let’s hope he sells it when his piss pour beer sales take a hit and he has to unload non-performing assets like the Habs to someone who wants and needs to win the Stanley Cup, not just limp into the playoffs. Detroit has done it 21 years in a row. Montreal? Not so much.

Promote the Youth, Support From The Veterans and Remember the Heritage!

GREAT! I am nearly as happy as if we just won the CUP! Thanks Geoff!.
    Now we will see what you are made of! Who you bring in will show how well you are dedicated to being on top in this league again Geoff. It is your call now to make a name for yourself, instead of still riding on Hartley Molson’s coattails.

We need a big time experienced, global, business man as our new GM. This is an international game now, so scour the globe for the best candidate and in does not matter what language he uses, as long as he can do the job.

27. Captain aHab says:

Now is a good time for Stephen Harper to quickly revise his budget and cut all transfers to Quebec. It won’t make the frontpage on Quebec newspapers.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

28. HabFanSince72 says:

This guy’s take on Gauthier is 100% correct:

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

• TomNickle says:

Mostly fair. I don’t believe the Boucher analysis is fair because I find it hard to believe that the author knows what Boucher was offered.

But otherwise it was a fair assessment.

• 24 Cups says:

HFS72 – The comments about Muller and Boucher don’t ring true. Boucher was blocked by a coach who had a four year deal. He would have been crazy not to have taken the Columbus/Tampa offers.

Muller had done the assistant coach routine so his only option would have been Hamilton. Who knows how that all went down. Once again, Muller would be foolish if he had not taken the Carolina job. I have no idea what his French is like but he may have taken a beating by the Quebec media if he became the coach of Montreal.

I’m still holding out against all hope that Vancouver will panic and fire thir coach once they don’t win the Cup this year.

• TomNickle says:

You mean the coach who whines and complains.

Yeah he’d be a great hire Steve. That organization relies on skill and is a complete mess.

No thanks.

• 24 Cups says:

You’re a hard man to please, Tom!

I also remember you saying earlier in the season that Crawford would be a poor choice and that you would take back Vigneault in a heartbeat. Or that might have been Andrew Berkshire, I can’t remember. Either way I’d still love to have Vigneault and BriseBois heading the team.

“They do nothing but blame officials, call opposing teams dirty and make excuses for losses.”
          Are you still talking about the Canucks or is it the Habs, Tom:-)

What a day so far.

• HabFanSince72 says:

24C – good points. I was mostly supporting his evaluation of Gauthier.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

29. arcosenate says:

Well, I am going with Pierre MacGuire, he simply knows the players too well to ignore, and really, in the end, it’s about what players you have. He deserves a shot.

30. GuyDoon says:

I’m guessing Molson isn’t a Buddhist. The more “karmic” timing would have been tomorrow, just before game time :)
    Seriously, it’s never a good thing when your GM, when anyone, gets fired, but I believe this had to be done.
    Best of luck to Mr. Gauthier.

31. habsfan0 says:

The Toronto Maple Leafs,not to be outdone,are calling their own press conference later today.

The rumour is Burke & Carlyle are out.

Gauthier and Martin to replace them.

32. HabsFanInTampa says:

It’s about time this GM gets the axe. Hopefully, we will NOT go on a season-ending 5 game winning streak and be pushed out of a top five draft pick.

33. aroma says:

latest rumor: Mario Tremblay as GM, Rejean Houle as coach. And Geoff Molson has been seen in the corridors of the St. Jean Baptiste Society, apologizing to all who will listen for being Anglophone.

34. Captain aHab says:

If McGuire is named GM, the first question media need to ask him is if he’s looking to build a big three to rival Phaneuf, Beauchemin and Komisarek.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

35. durocher says:

It is Christmas!

@DarrenDreger: Some suggestions Bob Gainey may be stepping away from Canadiens as well.

36. DorvalTony says:

Congrats to ex Canadien Moikal Ryder on scoring his 34th and 35th goals last night.

NOW FIRE BOOB GAINEY!

• 69HABS says:

Yup, Bob & Guy screwed up there ..

• Sportfan says:

I was a Huge Ryder fan when he was on the Habs hated how he was getting treated in the end, good for him in Dallas good move by the stars too

Apparently one of the reasons why we got rid of him was his off ice activities he apparantly had a drinking problem and having cresent right next to the bell center sure as hell didn’t help

• ont fan says:

Sorry guys the Bruins let Ryder go remember.

• Cal says:

Anyone who throws paper airplanes during a bleeping playoff game deserves what he got. Run out of town.

• showey47 says:

Much more guy then bob,guy decided to make ryder a 4th liner or a healthy scratch. Then again bob hired guy, but thats what happens when you have to eliminate 90% of coaching candidates due to language.Say what you want about guy having no coaching experience,JM had decades of it and wasn’t much better.

37. Sportfan says:

I’m so happy he’s been fired !!! Kinda sad to be happy that someone lost his job, BUT this franchise needs it thank god its going to be someone else going into July 1st hopefully this GM will make good decisions on contracts too

According to Dreger on twiter
    Some suggestions Bob Gainey may be stepping away from Canadiens as well.

Hoepfully this is true, this team needs a clean slate with new management

38. HabFanSince72 says:

While we wait for the announcement check out all three Dallas goals from last night. Real beauts.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

39. Les Canayens says:

At last no more Mister this and Mister that.

40. 44har48 says:

There is a god…

And not to be overly criitical of everything they do, but why now?? Why not before the deadlne or after the season? Maybe this timing gives them the best chance to fill the position, but I would have thought the classier move at this point, would have been to do it right after the season, before the playoffs commence.

Also, I’m hoping for André Savard as GM again and either Bob Hartley (not sure how to get him back in NA) or Marc Crawford as coach.

I dont even want to entertain Peirre MacGuire and/or Patrick Roy.

41. roady says:

If they hire PM….my days as a Hab fan are over….the guy is a fool

take your drink to the end of the bar buddy…come on now, don’t be a fool…

42. kempie says:

OMG it’s a McGuirefest on 990. These callers are scaring the crap outta me.

• Mattyleg says:

Like I said, if you listen to 98.5, I’m sure it’s all about the guys on L’Antichambre.

People are not smart. They say what they see on TV. How many people do you know have a ‘Slap Chop’?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• kempie says:

That’s funny. There’s one in my crap cupboard and nobody will admit to buying it. I have no idea where it came from, but if I find out who bought it, I’ll fire them.

• DorvalTony says:

Easier to parrot what they’ve heard from Milt Melchnick (McGuire’s buddy) than to think.

FIRE BOOB GAINEY!

43. BeachHabFan says:

Ron Burgundy to be next Habs GM, with Brick Tamlin as coach.

• Captain aHab says:

I was gonna suggest Sugar Sammy.

—————-
      Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

• Les Canayens says:

His joke on Gomez: (I’m paraphrasing) “The problem is not with the player, but with management. As I’ve learned the hard way in the past, when you hire Latinos you only pay them once the job is done.”

44. habsfan0 says:

It’s a sad day for vegans everywhere today.

Oh well.

45. FanCritic says:

I have my fingers crossed for BriseBois & and Roy both young and can make smart decisions to put forward a real good team. clean up the mess we’re in right now. keep Cole and Max-Pac any other players up front for a better player is gone. same on “D”. deadwood will always be deadwood no matter who takes over clean house.

46. Clay says:

Great timing at least. Close enough to the end of the season where we may have a chance to sign a good candidate whose contract is up soon…the new GM will have enough time to come in and take care of the needed off-season changes and drafting.
    HIO crew – start submitting your resume’s!

__________________________
    ☞ Wow, that’s a nice lookin’ pair of Crocs!” Said no one ever.☜

47. shiram says:

Anyone know where I can listen to the presser on the fm radio? Kinda limited here.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

48. daveho29 says:

I want to be gm,
    I’ll coax Mario and Wayne out of retirement,Maybe get Lafleur back
    With ray Bourque and Bobby Orr(with new knees) on D
    Dryden in nets………..dam xbox ruining my whole sense of reality

49. Captain aHab says:

Mr. Gauthier being shown Mrs. Door. I hope we get a GM who doesn’t talk like Mr. Rogers.

—————-
    Avast, me proud beauty! Wanna know why my Roger is so Jolly?

50. RobertAlanFord says:

Hopefully Molson will leave the fraco factor out of the equation. Imo you hire the best man for the job. He’ll communicate with the other GMs in English only anyways. If his assisstant is fluent in French then they can tag team the press conferences.

Just sayin’……..

51. croozer says:

We all knew it was coming – had to be done.

This is a BIG BIG BIG BIG moment for Geoff Molson and the Habs

He absolutely MUST crush any thoughts or suspicions that the next GM has to be french speaking.
    He MUST declare that the search is on for the BEST available person.
    Yes – french speaking is a bonus but the franchise and the fans deserve nothing less then the best.
    He MUST do this to crush any doubt, that should the next GM in fact be french-speaking, that is NOT the reason he was chosen.
    This can NEVER be a political choice – it MUST be a hockey decision.

• Mattyleg says:

No, I don’t agree.
      This is Quebec, not anywhere else in North America.
      The Canadiens are a cultural institution, not just a business.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• RobertAlanFord says:

Do you want them to win or not? Would be a shame that this “cultural institution” is the joke of the entire league.

• Mattyleg says:

I don’t mind if we win or lose.
          It’s nice when we win, it’s sad when we lose.
          I’d rather keep our cultural heritage than sell out our identity.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• croozer says:

MATTYLEG

The Habs became a cultural institution and the pride of not only Quebec, but much of Canada by winning – not by appeasing the language zealots.
        French or not – fans want to win – they don’t care about language.
        They didn’t care when Ken Dryden was the goalie – they didn’t care when Dick Irvin was the coach – they didn’t care when Saku Koivu was the captain.
        Get the BEST person – and a french tutor and a translator if you need to.
        No more politics – PG’s treatment of Cunneyworth was shameful.
        RC might not be the Hab’s coach going forward but he didn’t deserve to be publicly humiliated by PG as a ‘mistake’.

It’s about WINNING!

• DorvalTony says:

AMEN. Pick the best man. Period. This is the Canadiens. We deserve nothing less than the best.

FIRE BOOB GAINEY!

52. savethepuck says:

I’m shocked, the TSN ticker is saying the press conference will be live on TSN. I thought only Toronto press conferences were live on TSN.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

• habsfan0 says:

The suits at Toronto’s Sports Network decided that since nothing of significance is happening in Leafland today, then it would be alright for them to preempt championship Tiddly Winks for the Habs presser.

53. secretdragonfly says:

Wasn’t a big fan but I do have to give him credit for both the Erik Cole acquisition and locking in Josh Gorges for the forseeable future.

54. ths says:

My people are telling me Rene Angelil coming in as GM with Celine coach and Patrick goalie coach with Jonathan Roy national anthem singer

Ooh Aah Gauthier in the dole queue

55. TomNickle says:

Hey Geoff,

While you’re at it could you please fire Patrick Boivin. I’m not sure what a kid with zero hockey experience did to become a Director Of Hockey Operations other than being the son of a former team executive. Have him sell corporate luxury suites or something similar.

56. habsfan0 says:

Wow! Molson must have had an epiphany to make this move so close to the end of the season. But, as we all know, PG & JM were 2 individuals who couldn’t embellish the number of championships on their curriculum vitaes.

Jacques Martin: 31 years NHL experience: 0 Stanley Cups.

Pierre Gauthier: 31 years NHL experience: 0 Stanley Cups.

“What’s Past is Prologue” William Shakespeare.

Let the dawn of a new,better era for Habs fans everywhere begin.

57. Mr.Hazard says:

ARE THERE NO OTHER PICTURES OF GAUTHIER OUT THERE? Always the same one!!!

58. likehoy says:

whoever’s interim should finish off the tank.
    5 more games, 4 more losses please!

only win should be against the laffs the final game of the season!

59. Les-Habitants says:

Good bye Pierre Gauthier.

Never have I seen a single season so badly mismanaged. While people will point to the Kaberle trade as being a complete debacle (I agree), I look at how he handled the coaches. Firing an assistant in Pearn wreaks of a man trying to impose his will on the head coach. This view was confirmed by the manners in which he subsequently fired JM and then traded Cammy.

All his moves this season have been reactionary, either because some balked at him (firing of the coaches and Cammy) or as he began to panic (Kaberle). He wasn’t trying to be the leader of the Canadiens organization, but rather a man wishing to impose his will without any room or willingness to compromise – a dictator.

As we saw, it didn’t work. His selfish actions and lack of leadership eroded the dressing room, causing individualism from the players and resulting in a complete disaster of a season. As an assistant GM, such responsibilities weren’t his to bear but as a GM he is suppose to be running and leading this organization. In those two facets, Pierre Gauthier failed and failed miserably.

Good bye Pierre Gauthier, and good riddance.

60. Habsssssssswin says:

A new GM isn’t going to suddenly solve our problems. Sports management is very complex. You almost, if not absolutely require an MBA in todays pro leagues to deal with the issues of salary caps, contracts and budgets. So, staff, scouts and assistant coaches etc
    must be your true and very good hockey people.You got to have a very driven mentality. Mr. Molson..’never take advice from your peers’. You may take their opinions, but don’t take their advice’s seriously. Because they don’t know any better than you. Always take advice from those who have been down that road. Hire an intelligent GM who has business savy, but hire HOCKEY people to scout, coach and win. Our future, is right now shooting a puck in some small rink somewhere. Go find him.

61. FanCritic says:

I wasn’t a fan of Gauthier, if you look back. The damage was done long before Gauthier took over and yes I would say he had a part in it. For the exception of a few. This is a sad sack team and whom ever takes over has their work cut out. don’t get to excited just yet. there’s a lot of work to be done and it’s gonna take a long time to do it. to win a cup a lot of good players especially up front has to arrive on the scene. you can’t do that overnight,. look how long some teams has been in the league and still trying to win a cup. for us maybe just maybe a light is finally at the end of the tunnel.

62. habs11s says:

the leafs don’t make the playoffs and PG gets fired in the same week,

it’s definitely Xmas in March!
    _____________________________________________________________

63. chcsj says:

I believe JM is still on payroll. Financially makes sence to make him GM until his contract is over?

64. WindsorHab-10 says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65. New says:

Sports is a funny business from a fan standpoint. M. Gauthier has made some good moves, some temper moves, and some bad moves. The team Montreal Canadien was in the doldrums until Bob Gainey was brought on board.

I think sports owners have to judge a team on what it has done and a GM has to judge coaches on what they have done. Under M. Gauthier the team has descended. His record in other capacities with the team and with other teams has been the same. He is a nice chap who can not get the job done.

Fans cry for Gomez to be disappeared because he does not perform to the level he is paid to perform at. The same is true of M. Gauthier.

Irrational calls that Bob Gainey should be ushered out ignore that the man stood by his contract even when his heart was no longer in it. Gainey fulfilled his agreement when most of you would have simply gone on stress leave, curled up in a ball, and whimpered.

Let’s hope that whoever the Canadiens search out for GM and coaches have better fortune. RDS has some good coverage.

66. FlyingFrenchie says:

There is a GOD afterall!

67. Kooch7800 says:

@ shiram – won’t let me post back on the last comment.

yes, there are a second wave of your PP but paying a guy 4.25 mill a season to be your second wave pp…does that make sense? he sucks as a D man and will be a number 5 or 6 guy. doesn’t make sense, not a chance. Your second wave is where you develop your up and coming guys for the PP. St. Denis would be a good fit there

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• shiram says:

Meh his salary is not so bad, production wise, but he is not great on his own zone, for sure.
      But he’s on the team now, and he can do some good stuff on the PP, I think they will retain him, mostly to make sure the PP improves next season.
      4.25 millions is alot less money in today’s NHL then it was not so long ago.
      As for giveaways, Kaberle has 37 this season, and that’s more than only Campoli, every other Habs D that played similar games has more.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• since1988 says:

I agree with this statement. He seems to produce 40points a year on a consistent basis

“I savour it every day, sometimes before practice I’m skating around and I’ll look at the logo on my jersey – I’m playing for the Canadiens!”
        – Mathieu Darche

• Kooch7800 says:

true enough. I would just like to add another physical shut down D man like a Bryan Allen.

but in all reality we really need to add a top 6 scorer in a bad way

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• shiram says:

It’s a tough situation on D, with established vets on long deals, and rookies on short deals… Tough to move the vets, tough to find a spot for the kids! I’d like that bruiser D myself, and I think he will come at the expense of Diaz/Weber.
          But I too feel a top 6 winger is most needed.

RC : “Merci beaucoup.”

• jmsheehy19 says:

I think they will target Allen. Or maybe St Denis can fill the role. Has looked solid in his time up.

Some interesting tid-bits from the Canadiens web site.

Randy Cunneyworth – Interim Head coach
    Suffice it to say a new coach will be behind the bench next season.

There is no mention anywhere if Bob Gainey or Jacques Martin are still with the team either.

Trevor Timmins is still on board though.

69. Thomas Le Fan says:

This is what utter failure brings and what it deserves in the world of sports. No room for it. There should be a lot of happy, nay, ecstatic campers here today. Now, in light of this … Plekanecs? 15 goals?
    I was watching highlights last night and have to say that the only player that’s been through our system that I really miss and would want a redo for, is Michael Ryder. What a fine season he’s put together in Dallas. Alas.
    Oh and please Mr. Molson, not the penis with ears, Pierre McGuire.

Go Habs

70. patrice brisebois says:

I will be named the new g.m. in an hour. Time to turn this team around and go FULL BREEZER.

71. TomNickle says:

I would appreciate it if somebody could give me a sensible reason that Steve Yzerman would have been a good fit for GM of this team.

Bob Mckenzie(who I do respect) is playing what ifs on twitter with what would have been if the Habs had hired Yzerman.

He has not proven to be any better than Pierre Gauthier in any capacity other than Public Relations.

• Kooch7800 says:

The talking heads speak to hear themselves talk…..

Stevie Y has been picking up habs scraps for the last two seasons. They are the habs of the south.

Stevie Y has not done a better job than PG.

he signed Roloson as their goalie…..nuff said

“Like Canadian Hip hop..check us out http://www.groovecontrolmusic.com

• showey47 says:

I agree,steve y’s reputation was built on picking team canada. That must have been tough picking a team from quite arguably the greatest pool of hockey players in the world. Something most of us could do while being wasted. In 2 years in tampa he has still hasn’t fixed tampa’s issues in goaltending,defence,secondary scoring or organizational depth.

• habsnyc says:

Jeff Vinik chose Yzerman. Vinik did not hire Yzerman to make panic moves in the middle of a season, but to build Tampa into a respected franchise. Yzerman has been good at clearing salary, collecting draft picks and giving more ice time to young players.

“Steve and I talk about it all the time, and we both have the same perspective, which is, looking at the next 10-plus years, we want to be able to compete at the highest level year in and year out,” Vinik said. “Steve has that very much on his mind, and I’m 100 percent behind him.”

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• TomNickle says:

So he didn’t hire Yzerman to trade a 3rd round pick and Brock Beukeboom for Eric Brewer? Didn’t hire him to give a contract extension and starting job to a goaltender collecting a social security cheque? Didn’t hire him to trade a good young player for at best a #20 overall pick? Did he hire him so that he would give the head coaching job to a guy who preaches the most boring system in hockey in a market that needs to sell tickets to survive? Did he hire him so that he would draft prima donnas who alienate teammates and refuse medical examinations on prior injuries before they’ve even signed a professional contract?

Great track record for Yzerman so far. Off to an amazing start.

• habsnyc says:

You asked a question. I told you why Vinik, whose billions were made by seeing the long run, where others see the short run, chose Yzerman. You should send Jeff a letter explaining to him in such clever detail, why it was a mistake. I don’t see how this forum is a site for attacking Yzerman.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

• TomNickle says:

It isn’t an attack on Yzerman. It’s a discrediting of the foolish opinion that he would have been a better choice than Gauthier. Yzerman hasn’t proven to be any better and there’s no indication that he’s growing in the job.

72. habsnyc says:

I think it makes an emotional difference for the fans and players that Mr. Gauthier was let go prior to the end of the season. The tough part is hiring the right candidate instead of the easy candidate. I would recommend hiring an assistant gm of a well run NHL team like Detroit, Philadelphia, Nashville or San Jose.

Wayne Thomas, who is in his 16th season in San Jose’s front office won a Cup with Montreal in the 70’s. He served as a head coach, scout and assistant GM. He was responsible for drafting Couture, Pavelski and Setoguchi.

Paul Fenton, AGM of the Predators has 14 years exerience. He is in charge of all player acquisitions and has been running the draft since 2003. He is GM of the AHL Admirals.

Jim Nill has been AGM of the Red Wings for 14 years. He oversees player development and is former GM of their AHL affiliate.

These seem like very experienced hockey executives.

Blue, blanc et rouge. Red and White for Canada. Blue for Smurfs.

73. SmartDog says:

THANK F—–G GAWD!!!!!!!

My apologies to the person I was speaking to on the phone when I read this headline in Google news. I hope you get your hearing back real soon.

————————————-
    Listen to the Smart Dog. He knows his poop!