Gauthier has money in the bank

pierre-gauthier

With the decisions Wednesday to sign Yannick Weber and trade James Wisniewski, as well as Roman Hamrlik turning down Pierre Gauthier’s contract offer, the Canadiens general manager will have upwards of $8 million to spend on free agents come Friday, Pat Hickey says.

With just over $50 million committed to 17 players, that $8 million reflects what would be left after Josh Gorges, Ryan White, another forward and a backup goalie.

1. Talik Sanis says:

I’ve seen a number of comments both here and elsewhere stating, essentially, that we should not make any serious moves in this off season because, with a weak free agent market, we would be required to overpay. People have also argued that we should not acquire any potential impact free agents because we cannot afford to do so, as some of our key players will be in need of new contracts or because we should bank the savings in preparation for the trade deadline, thus having enough funds to bring in players to meet whatever needs might exist at that time.

I disagree with these arguments, and feel that we should look to add several pieces to the team, while coming closer to the salary cap.

Looking to the example set by the Boston Bruins and the Philadelphia Flyers, there are potentially justifiable moves available to us this off season. These teams have shown us what can be done by a properly managed team that has run into salary cap issues. The arguments regarding our inability to sign Price or Subban next year, due to our having invested too much in free agents, ring hollow in the face of the ability of other teams to move out superfluous players and get real returns, all while freeing up the cap space needed to sign other players as the management desires.

If our organization does sign another top six forward and a solid third line player (a judicious selection in both cases would help to avoid overpayment, due to not going after someone who has excelled at an opportune time, like Bergenheim), we could move a player (and salary) upon the return of Eller. Or, if we were pleased with our team, we could wait until the trade deadline to ship anything out. Kostitsyn’s value for instance (whatever that value might be argued to be) would be maximized at that point, and he could be moved rather than allowed to walk away as a UFA, a likely scenario based on our needs and his status in the organization.

If we still run into problems signing our players heading into the 2012 entry draft or July 2012, we could move other assets, such as those we have acquired through free agency this year. In this way, we would be little different than the Blackhawks of 2010. They moved assets for diminished returns, rather than none.

Further, the argument that we should “bank” the cap space saved by not acquiring free agents now, so as to be free to add salary by moving assets (picks and prospects) at the trade deadline to fill in unforeseen needs, seems illogical. Rather than adding pieces now for “free” we would be adding pieces later, when their cost is the most extreme. Some might say that, being unaware of our needs near the trade deadline and, having made my proposed off season signings, we would be in a disadvantageous position later in the year.

I find this to be a specious argument. This year, the Washington Capitals decided that they needed an organizational shift, thus they traded Fleischmann for Hannan. Their team proper possessed the assets required to add a player that filled a position of weakness, while giving away a player that filled an area that was, and would remain, strong. They moved out salary to bring in salary, filling a need without significantly impacting their area of strength. They did this without mortgaging their future in the slightest, as it is likely that Fleischmann would have been let go at the end of the year, just as Hannan was let go. Thus, in total, they were no worse off. Had they sent prospects or picks the other way, they would have diminished their organization, showing no returns for their expenditure when Hannan and Fleischmann left to free agency. This is, of course, ignoring the fact that the Capitals have a better all around team than us and are far more successful in the regular season. Thus, the sacrifice of assets (picks and prospects) is more easily justified in their case than in ours.

In much the same way, with my proposed abundance of assets, our potential future needs could be met by moving out some established talent, weather in the form of the players we had acquired from free agency or in the form of a player already on the roster.

In the end, my argument is this: add the pieces, the value, you can, when that addition costs the origination nothing but money. At worst, those players will return to a shrewd general manager future assets. This addition must be done rationally and wisely, but the returns for judicious moves improve a team and an organization in both the short and the long term.

• Feraco says:

All that writing and no point.

• Talik Sanis says:

Actually, if you bothered to pay attention, I addressed several points raised by other individuals. These include the arguments that “If we add players, we will not have enough money to re-sign Price and Subban” and “Signing players now will not allow us to add players at the trade deadline.”

In turn, I then gave reasons why these arguments are false, while citing examples. I then, rather eloquently, restated my argument in a concluding paragraph.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Dude, I hesitated to pipe up, because my posts are wordy and tend to meander, but you gotta take your lumps for that big bowl of warm jello you posted on here.

Look up the word eloquent in the dictionary. That’s not applicable to your post. I think the word you’re looking for is prolix.

———————————
          Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

• Talik Sanis says:

To eloquently conclude means to sum up one’s points in a forceful and brief fashion.

I believe that my final paragraph accomplished that.

I did not describe the entire post as eloquent (it certainly was not), merely the conclusion.

Edit- First, let me say that I certainly don’t mean to direct any hostility towards you. The complaints leveled against me, however, were that I said nothing and that I failed to respect the laws of grammar while using words out of their proper context.

I wouldn’t have responded to anyone if they’d simply said that I was too wordy.

I admit, looking back at what I’ve written, that if another person’s post had gotten carried away as mine did, I probably wouldn’t have expended the energy to read through it all either.

• HardHabits says:

@Un Canadien errant: Maybe you should stick what you were doing. Your posts along with Talik Sanis’ are amongst the better ones here.

@Feraco: The conclusion is quite clear. Stock the team in the off-season when the only resource that would be used would be money because doing it later would likely cost additional prospects and picks as well as cash.

• SyntaxLove says:

I think that most comments made stating we “bank” potential signing money now are a reflection of PG’s apparent reluctance to interfere with the team’s “stability” by making big moves, as you suggest.

• Shmitzy says:

Wow. Blah, blah, blah… and nothing. Thanks for that. Big words do not display smarts. In fact, mashing so many of them together with poor grammar and incorrect context simply magnifies a complete LACK of intelligence, which I’m sure is the exact opposite effect you were aiming for… But I digress…

• Talik Sanis says:

My grammar is fine given what I am writing and where I am writing it. This a post on the internet, and nothing more. I don’t overly concern myself with getting my clauses correct. Granted, things like “with my proposed abundance of assets” would not figuratively pass muster in a paper, but I wasn’t exactly writing something for a Doctoral thesis.

I wrote in my usual style and manner, without, however, concerning myself overmuch with the technical details of writing. It wasn’t done to try to impress any nameless, faceless schlub on the internet.

Further, what big words have troubled you? The “biggest” might be judicious or superfluous. They were not used out of context and their meanings were fully respected.

If you have nothing to say about the arguments and issues within the post, and merely wish to make vague and meaningless comments on the manner in which my arguments were made, perhaps you should avoid replying to something you deem a waste of your time to even read.

• HardHabits says:

Shmitzy that post was awesome and you are a troglodyte.

Go listen to Don Cherry grunting and groaning if you can’t understand good prose.

2. Feraco says:

FA START ALREADY!

3. PeterD says:

JP Dumont bought out by Nashville today…

33 years old, 6’1″, 205 pounds, R. wing…could be good for 15-20 goals per season…adds a bit og size up front and may beef up our 3rd line.

4. Hobie Hansen says:

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
    Fleischmann, who puts up #s in potential top 6 forward role, has been told as long as he stays on medication, he’ll be free of clot issue.

5. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

Jaroslav Spacek needs to be traded immediately!!

• Feraco says:

Jaro gone, Hammer could have stayed! Hope that doesnt bite us in the ass!

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

yeah hammer might be slow but he was solid, we couldnt offfer him more then one season, because subban will be making alot of money after this season, who knows, maybe he comes to his senses and signs her for less, but i really doubt that at this point.

but your right hammerlik is worth 10 spaceks, damn you suck jaroslev, die! lol

6. SyntaxLove says:

PG ain’t got no money in tha bank. He be walkin’ round actin’ all skank.

Swizz Beatz. Prophetic.

7. LA Loyalist says:

Worth repeating: from Pat Hickey’s article in The National Post:

“Florida general manager Dale Tallon told TSN that he felt like he was running Team Waste Management with teams trying to dump players like Gomez on him.”

It would be hilarious were it not so sad.

• HalifaxHabs says:

kind of a mix of crying and laughing… then puking and punching

• habs03 says:

Lets say Gomez retires tomorrow. Who are going to sign? Not a fan of Gomez, but I just wish we had someone better, but there aren’t many options.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I rather develop eller or deharnais, gomez dosnt score, or make his wingers better, and his defence is of a lazy man!

youd think somone making the coin he does, would be a good enough reason to atleast TRY and score atleast 10 goals! in his head he thnks he some sort of great passer, but he underestimates his own shot! the only thing he brings on the ice is his ability to gain the zone, but once he gets there, he does nothing, whoever played with gomez last season had their numbers drop along with his, hes hindering our team on the ice.

He does bring a good locker room presence, but hes never ever serious, he’s always trying to joke with the media and be easy going, someone needs to light a fire on this guy’s ass and get him to play with some damn passion and mean streak! I like the guy, but damn his time is certainly up, if we can move him for draft picks I’d do it! get a couple seconds and I’m good with that!

Imagine freeing 8 million off our team, that mean atleast a player who can get 20 goals nd 60 points, its sd to look at the top saleries and see gomez in the top 10. its pathetic really, think of it 8 million!!

• Hobie Hansen says:

He did say that but didn’t mention Gomez by name.

• Rugger says:

If I remember correctly he also did not say players, he said contracts. I do not think he would intentionally insult players – not good for business.

• _Habsoloutly_ says:

Should be intersesting to see what Tallon does to reach the cap floor. I like the moves he’s made so far. It’s clear he’s trying to make the team better and is not just going through the motions.

The NBA owners will be locking out their players as of midnight.

Could be a bad omen.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I hope the NBA lockout goes for three or four seasons. Happiest days were that year where the NBA was not playing due to labour trouble, and baseball season was over. Nothing but football and hockey on TSN, paradise.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of NBA players are whining selfish little bee-atches and they’ll crumple at the first opportunity. It pre-ordained that the owners will get everything they want and more out of their next CBA.

The pampered spoiled overgrown brats won’t want to miss a single paycheque, especially the stars, they won’t sacrifice for the good of the league, the game, or their teammates. LeBron will lead the way, he’ll jump in the escape capsule and lock out Smithers because he’ll want to put his feet up.
      ———————————

9. PeterD says:

Best bet in free agency this year is for a one year high price contract for an older player.
    Most UFA’s in their early 30’s will go for 4-6 yr contracts for several million $’s.
    We can’t afford that with the long term high priced contracts we already have and the need to re-sign several high-end younger players next season.
    We also need to make room available for the talented young guys to move up over the next year or so.
    I think Jagr would be a good fit for one year…top 6 scorer.

• 24 Cups says:

Agreed. We have a one year window for a high priced contract. Gagne or Jagr fit the bill although Jagr seems to be a lock to go to Pittsburgh.

Next summer, Price will probably get 6.5M and Subban will be in line for whatever guys his age and status are signing for this year. We need to save long term cap space.

• Habfan4lfe says:

I don’t know about Jagr being locked for Pittsburgh. What makes you think he will go there? Things seem to be more aiming up he would come to Montreal. To me the financials are right to support him. To finish a career in the NHL it would my choice to end it with Montreal if I were in his shoes.

• PeterD says:

Unfortunately I think Gagne is going for a long term deal to take him into retirement and there may bee some high price bidding for him…thats why I like the idea of Jagr…short term signing guarenteed.

10. gerrybell says:

Jagr on a one year deal is the habs best move. if not, JP dumont might be worth a flyier.

habs are in a good spot right now with respect to the salary cap and such. i hope PG doesnt lose sight of his RFA’s next year by making silly contracts with UFA this year.

The habs are gonna be alright this coming year, but 2012-2013 could be there year. no important hab is in their last year with the club next season. make it a 2-3 push and dont put all the ‘eggs in one basket.’ maybe hold off on the big UFA move this year and wait until next year when the crop isnt so thin.

g
    b

11. RetroMikey says:

If we can;t land a Leino and a Gagne with the money we have, I say let’s make a splash and make a blockbuster deal and get Parise here from the Devils.
    After all, life is a gamble!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

12. Mikey_39 says:

Gauthier should put in a serious offer for Ted Purcell. With the negotiations of Stamkos going on, nobody seems to be talking about the fact that Purcell is an RFA. RH Shot, 6foot3, 200 pounds, put up 51 points last year…

• db says:

Under the radar and worth losing a only a 3rd rounder for a 3 year, ~10 mil contract. I don’t think TB could match and I couldn’t see how Purcell could refuse that offer. Wonder what he’s asking for.

• Mikey_39 says:

I’d rather PG offer a trade to not risk letting TB finding a way to sign him. He’s definitely fits one of the “needs” of Montreal and could possibly become one of our young core players. I’d rather PG try and find a way to acquire him than overpay for a plug on the market

• SyntaxLove says:

But who would we trade? AK? Patches? I’d rather re-sign teddy than take anyone Montreal had to offer, lulzzzzz.

• Mikey_39 says:

It depends on who Yzerman would want I guess. Purcell’s value is pretty high right now. He had a great season and an even better playoffs. I’d offer a 2nd round pick+ a prospect, but I’m not a GM so I don’t know if I’m under/over valuing Purcell

• TorontoHabsFan says:

Gauthier could offer a 2nd round pick…better than they’d receive as compensation, and there’d be no ill-will created

• kempie says:

I kind of like this idea.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I kind of agree that any play for Purcell should be a trade and not an offer sheet. I’d rather not rock the RFA Boat when 2 of Montreal’s most important players are going to be RFAs next year.

• Mikey_39 says:

Offering a trade definitely is the best option. I don’t think it will prevent other teams from throwing money at price and pk next year, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be classy about it. The only way we can truly be certain that PK and Price will be signed is if Gauthier takes care of extending them during the season. Also it doesn’t behoove us to ruin relations with any GMs by trying to pry away their UFAs

• Mikey_39 says:

RE TorontoHabsFAn

I think it would take more than just a 2nd round pick. Like I said, he’s young, he’s big and he put up some awesome numbers last year. 51 points would have put him tied for second in points on our team.

• TorontoHabsFan says:

I dunno. I guess it’s all up to what TB’s cap situation is like. I suspect they wouldn’t want any salary to return, hence the pick. Maybe a pick and a lower level prospect to save face?

Heh – how about offering them the rights to Ramo? :D

13. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I mentioned Antti Miettinen previously without opinion. The more I think of it, the more I think I’d like it. At a reasonable price of course. But if it was in the 3 million range. He’s usually in and around 20 goals on the Minnesota Wild — that could translate into more playing with Pleks and Cammy. Defensively responsible. Although he could be seen as having more of the same….don’t know. Perhaps it’s just a weak market and I have a hankering to pick at least someone up

• Sean Bonjovi says:

I am strongly pro Antti Miettinen, but I see him on Eller’s wing. My order of preference for UFA 3rd line wingers is as follows.

Antti Miettinen
      Scottie Upshall
      Alex Ponikarovsky
      Taylor Pyatt (the Pyatt switch!!)

I’d only sign one of them and I’d make low-ball offers, but IMO any one of them would make the Canadiens a better hockey team.

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

14. SyntaxLove says:

We should accept that we’re NOT getting anyone who would naturally be top 6 material because PG won’t start a bidding war over someone like Sean Bergenheim, & rightfully so. The best we can realistically do is sign a few bottom 6 players & bank the rest for trade deadline. If PG makes a splash I’ll drown myself in these words.

• db says:

Agreed, there’s potential to build some solid 3rd/4th line combos with the guys available. Darche, Eller and Moen need to be complimented.

I like Konopka, Stewart, Rupp and OBrien too but not for crazy deals. Thing is, these guys know they can have an impact on a highly skilled team like the Habs. I can’t wait to see how tomorrow pans out… the way I see it, it’s really about the pitch Pierre has for each guy.

15. JayBee says:

Besides Stamkos and Parise….what other RFA’s are offer sheet eligible?

16. centre hice says:

Habs needs:

1- A top line winger. Leino as a ufa will too in demand, we will never land him. Jagr returning to the NHL is too much of a question mark, plus what’s the point of having a player for only one year. How does that build a team? I think the top line will again be Kostitsyn-Plekanec-Cammalleri (although it should be Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta).

2- A right handed D. Has anyone noticed that the only RH D are Subban and Weber? Gorges has played R since with the habs out of necessity. My suggestion: Anton Babchuck. He’s big, experienced, and adds offense too. A pairing of Markov-Bachuck is nice.

3- A centre who can win face offs, preferably with size. The habs are a terrible face off team. We need a player who can take defense zone face offs at important times in the game. I keep hearing Kenopka. Yes he’s good on face offs, the problem is that after he wins he’s on the ice and not that great of a player. Anyways, my suggestion: Eric Belanger. Don’t forget, Eller will not be ready to start the season, so we need an actual hockey player not a Kenopka.

• Hobie Hansen says:

The thing with konopka is that I’m sure Martin, as he does with other players, will tell him to cool his jets a little.

• SyntaxLove says:

He’s still horrible defensively…and offensively. Hence why he’s always off the ice after faceoffs or getting into fights…

• Hobie Hansen says:

Don’t forget he played on two brutal teams.

And If he’s out their killing penalties he must be reliable defensively as Arpon Basu wrote today.

And it doesn’t matter if he scores, he’s on the forth line to hit and fight for 7mins a game.

And if Eller isn’t ready that’s where Desharnais comes in.

• SyntaxLove says:

He was -14 last season (yes, on a horrible team) and 1st overall for PIM. And I don’t like his attitude. He would have to reign it in more than I think he’s capable of. Too much of a risk for me! Campbell & Thornton both scored over 20 pts last year as 4th line thugs so I think it does matter.

DD’s a better player than Eller right now IMO.

• Hobie Hansen says:

You are in the minority…

To each is own.

The Wiz was an even worse +/- coming from the Islanders.

+/- on a garbage team is the last stat to look at.

I’m not going to debate on who is better between Thornton and Konopka but I really doubt there is any difference or enough to make an impact.

If you like Thornton than you might as well like Konopka except that Konopka wins faceoffs and kills penalties and Thornton doesn’t.

The Hockey News Adam Proteau says Top 5 UFA’s to stay away from:
    Vokoun, Gagne, Bergenheim, Torres, Kaberle

• SyntaxLove says:

This.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Unbelievable. Vokoun would be a serviceable goalie, whereas Kaberle has been exposed as a Toronto media creation. All you Burke bashers have to grudgingly admit that he held on to that piece of crap asset forever, shopping him out like he was his pimp, but eventually got awesome value for him.

I wouldn’t take Kaberle for free. He’s that poor a defenceman, and I hate his attitude and demeanor on the ice. How many times did we see him skating back to the bench after being on the ice for an opposition goal during the playoff?

———————————

18. mbplekfan says:

Given the current crop of free agents this year I would be happiest if Gauthier passed on them all. 5m/yr multi year deal to get a 20 goal scorer isnt worth it.

The CBA expires this year and we dont know what the new one will look like. We arent 1 player away from elite status and if we were that player isnt in this crop.

Habs have Markov coming back, Gorges coming back, PK established as an elite player, Price in all-star form and MaxPac and Eller around for a second full season. Toss in Weber for PP insurance and DD for depth scoring and the team should be better just the way it is.

We have to add another forward/center or be prepared to start season with Enqvist or other Bulldog at center if Eller has any kind of setback from his shoulder surgery.

• JayBee says:

timmid GM’s don’t win cups.

Habs did exactly what you proposed last year and they sruggled. They need to add pieces…if the price is too steep, then so be it. But they will have to overpay to get guys. Lets be practical here. They can’t trade for help. Drafting is for the future. This team is built to win now. The key to success right now is free agency. This team needs depth and needs to add another D. There are some pieces out there.

Standing pat and hoping for the best, or waiting on the CBA, or hoping things miraculously change is not a winner’s mentality. You try to win now and worry about the future later.

Would you rather give up a 1st round pick for a 20 goal guy or pay an extra $750K-$1M over 4 years?

• mbplekfan says:

We have lots of 20 goal guys. Cammaleri, Gionta, Kostitsyn, MaxPac, Pleks are all more than capable of 30 plus goals. JM’s system prevents them from scoring more often.

Im not willing to part with either money or a 1st round pick for only 20 goals. Another 20 goal guy wont win us many more games.

A healthy Markov and a more mature PK will…

• JayBee says:

Fair nuff, but the team needs to improve somehow. Sitting back and hoping your team just somehow gets better will have you fighting for a playoff spot every year. There are some pretty huge holes with this team. Some nice pieces, but if the goal is to win a cup, some work needs to be done.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Disagree. We’re not one player away from the cup. Let’s not voluntarily overpay and give long-term deals to guys that don’t deserve it. Let’s keep our money so we can re-sign our assets. Let’s look at the situation again at the trade deadline.

———————————

Make an offer sheet for Parise and let’s get’er done.

20. LA Loyalist says:

God please don’t bring us an over-priced mediocrity tomorrow. I will be so depressed it will be impossible.

Go with the physician’s motto: “First, do no harm.”

• TommyB says:

That’s just about all that is available. Over-priced, and mediocre. Put some money in the bank for later on, PG.

• bwoar says:

I think that (despite some odd moves here and there) that pretty much sums up PG’s mantra this FA season.

Folks here have expounded on the wealth of bottom 6 guys available, I’d like to mention a couple guys for top 6:

* Belanger. Not likely going to get top dollar but he’d be useful at C or W.

* Brunette. He’d probably take a 1 year deal and is a legit scoring threat.

O’Brien sucks the bag. Please.

• habstrinifan says:

My prayer too. Which is why I am afraid on the Jagr option. Not 100% against it but 100% afraid of how it turns out. Would rather go for players like A. Stewart, Shane O’Brien etc.

21. Hammer says:

Souray looks like a cheap pickup today?

22. habstrinifan says:

WOW! I am stoked MAN! Groundswell for Shane O’Brien! Where did that come from! Let’s keep it all hush hush though. I love his sleeper-status so far.

All Good though!

• Hobie Hansen says:

The man would be EXACTLY what the Habs need on D.

Markov-Subban
      Gill-Gorges

and the hard hitting, take no prisoners duo of O’Brien and Yemelin would be over the top.

I’ve been saying Konopka, O’Brien and a top nine forward for months. Please Gauthier!

That sounds like about 8 mill to me.

• habstrinifan says:

Stop it Loyalist! Stop it Man!

My wife is wondering what I am doing in front of the computer making those noises and looking so happy!

• Un Canadien errant says:

He would play a definite role with the Canadiens, as the 6th defenceman who adds some size and who cools the jets of punks like Marchand and Carcillo. While in Vancouver he was effective, not a goon, not a PP QB, but a decent defenceman that teammates love.

———————————

• Un Canadien errant says:

Another thing about O’Brien is there is no way Martin would overplay him, like he would have done with Hamrlik again. Shane isn’t that kind of guy. So he would have to rely more on Weber and Yemelin, give those guys the icetime, and that’s good, these guys need to develop.

———————————

23. habs001 says:

we have a player that should produce 30-35 goals called camm..

24. punkster says:

Serious question: is it necessary to spend all that Cap space immediately? The list of available FAs seems weak according to most and the likelihood of overpaying is strong if PG acts too soon. Would be not be better to hold off a bit?

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• habs001 says:

if we are confident that this lineup can make the playoffs than we should be looking to add players at the trade deadline like boston did….

• habsfansince91 says:

especially since Price and Subban will be looking at raises next year

You make a good point punskter, but I would like to see them at least try get someone tomorrow in the 3rd/4th line bigger body. Save some room for a rental player in spring.

• JayBee says:

It makes no sense for

a) a team who wants to win now
      b) one of the richest teams in the league

to keep cap space. Holding onto cap space only makes sense if you have a tight budget. Obviously you don’t want to force yourself into signing guys you don’t want…but there’s value there. You can also trade for guys who have higher cap hits (Heatley?) who’s a bonafide goal scorer rather than spend $4M on a guy like Leino who isn’t really an established top 6 guy.

This is what separates the good GM’s from the OK and bad GM’s.

Philly, NY, Pitt, Chicago, Bos, Wash will all spend to the cap if required. Detroit has cap space but they’ll make a splash to land a top D-man. This is what the top teams are doing.

• punkster says:

To clarify, immediately meaning by tomorrow. Again with such a weak FA list and understanding every FA signed tomorrow will be overpaid scads of money would it not be better to hold off until the market prices decline through the summer? The quality available today won’t be appreciably different in a month or two but the rates should be much lower. Possibly more bang for the buck. Obviously PG will spend to the limit. He just shouldn’t be forced to do so just because he can.

My feeling: Given the club went out on a limb 2 years ago with what some feel were insane deals, signings and trades they may not be as willing to repeat the mistake. Spend to the Cap, by all means, but spend it wisely this time.

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• JayBee says:

Thing is, if you wait till the mid July/Aug…there will be nothing available. It’s a very thin FA class.

I don’t think the Habs absolutely have to go in guns blazing and sign everyone, but I think some moves need to be made via trade or FA. We absolutely need a top 6 winger. We’ve had this need for far too long. Also need to get grittier.

25. JayBee says:

For the last time.

Every UFA will be overpaid. This is their time to cash in…so, if you’re worried about a UFA asking for too much money, you better hope Gauthier doesn’t sign em.

• t1tan5 says:

It is true that every UFA gets overpaid, but due to the scarcity of quality UFA’s this year, the degree of overpayment will be even more than previous years. It would be best to avoid these (barely) top six players in the crop this year and wait it out until the trade deadline or maybe even July 2012.

26. TommyB says:

A couple of weeks ago I wouldn’t have thought much of the idea of bringing in Jagr. But looking over the list of UFA’s available, realistically there is not much in that cupboard. So, Jagr for one year might be a sound move. I don’t see how he could actually hurt the Habs that much, and the potential for a good year from him could be a great help to a popgun attack like the Habs now have. Unfortunately, I don’t believe for one second that he will be in a Habs uniform next season. The quickest way to get mega-media attention, is to drop a hint that you might like to renew your career, or continue your career, in Montreal.

Any actual offensive help the Habs hope to obtain at the forward postions for the next few years may depend on the progress of current guys in the minors. We do have some forwards, don’t we? Aside from progress from the farmhands, the only other avenue would be trades, and we just don’t see many decent trades made these days. Mostly third and fourth liners. This is one reason many felt the old wtf feeling at the draft this year. I know I was a bit surprised.

Many of you can’t let go of the Gomez thing. but I’ll keep him over most of the available UFAs this year. I think he could have a bounce back year. At least enough to be a contributor. Last year had to be rock bottom for him. He knows it, and he knows he has to be better. I think he will be. Save your tiring Gomez-bashing comments for someone else’s post. I’ve seen enough of them. All the third and fourth line guys being mentioned on here do not create much interest for me. If there is one guy, one guy with at least second line talent and some hardnose grit who is looking to re-establish himself on another team, thereby willing to do third line duty, then I say sign him. Otherwise….pfffft.

• SyntaxLove says:

As much as I despise Gomez’s salary, I concur. But I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the “role” players of the 3rd and 4th lines. When Looch and company got shut down or otherwise disappeared during the playoffs it was Kelly, Peverly & Ryder who saved the day.

• TommyB says:

Yes. Have to agree with you on that. But Peverly played a bigger role in Atlanta didn’t he? I don’t think he was 3rd/4th line there. And Ryder…we all know. So with the Bruins so loaded up front, these guys bought into their “roles”. Find us a guy like that. I just don’t see him on the list of free agents this year.

27. SmartDog says:

Wow. What an exciting day.

28. Sean Bonjovi says:

Consider the Canadiens wingers. Who is the Habs best checking winger?

* Ville Leino would make Sergei Samsonov look like Alex Kovalev *

29. SyntaxLove says:

My UFA wish list is Belanger at $2-2.5 mil/2 years, Rupp/Talbot at $1.5-2 mil/2-3 years & most importantly, Leino at $3-4 mill/3 years. I’m fine with re-signing Auld for another year. Both Leino & Talbot have been linked with the Habs so I’m really hoping for at least 1 of them.

• RetroMikey says:

Talbot is small and a grinder, we got enough of them on the farm in Hamilton.
      Leino would be a good pick to land along with Simon Gagne.
      Come on Pierre, take a gamble on them and make a splash trade for another big solid CMan who can score!
      Big mistake not landing the Wiz, we got too many soft DMan and you need a physical DMan on this team!

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• SyntaxLove says:

I’d much rather Rupp than Talbo, for that reason. Rupp’s 6’5 & 230.

But Talbo speaks french so…

I think Gagne will be too expensive, but I’m still keen on him.

And you can’t have both Markov and the Wiz. Hopefully PG made the right choice.

• RetroMikey says:

You need a physical DMan who plays the North American style game and that is Wiz.
          We got too many soft cottonelle DMen on our roster which is going to nip us in the bud in the long term.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

• HalifaxHabs says:

yeah because Wiz’s physicality really helped us in then playoffs against Boston

I like the Wiz don’t get me wrong, but he’s gone, he’s never coming back, and I don’t remember him dropping the gloves with any of Boston’s tough guys. I think you’ll find out this year that Yemelin brings as much physicality and nastiness as Wiz ever did.

Wait… did we sign Gorges?

31. habaholic68NJ says:

Based on who is left as of now, I would sign Gagne or Jagr for line 1 and Konopka for line 4.

*Listen to my instrumental tribute entitled “Habs at War” at http://web.me.com/ptolias/Music/OtherOriginalMusic.html

• SyntaxLove says:

Gagne will be heavily inflated as will Jagr and very short-term. Konopka’s just a jackass.

Perhaps we should put the 8 Million leftover in short term GIC’s and see how the market goes?

• Konopka is money in the bank. If the Habs had him on the 4th instead of Pyatt, things would be very different right now. VERY different.

• SyntaxLove says:

Don’t understand the Konopka frenzy. He wins faceoffs, great.

Campbell & Thornton both had over 20 pts this season from the 4th line. They’re capable of being enforcers while still scoring the occasional goal.

Konopka was -14 last year and 1st in the league for PIM. He’s a classless jackass in my opinion. Give me a Mike Rupp any day. 6’5, 230, dirt cheap, UFA, had a couple good seasons with the Pens.

Never sacrifice points for pugilism.

The point is we HAVE to get somebody. This concept of not adding anything is killing me. Rupp, Konopka, Arthyukin, Torres, I don’t want to change face of franchise, but we need one more face for the Bruins and Flyers.

32. longbow says:

After signing Gorges,White and Auld (assumptions) we have 2 forward spots open and 8 or 9 million to spend. Talbot for 2 and Jagr for 2 and 4 million for trade deadline. With all the over-priced slim pickings tomorrow Jagr’s short term probably looks good to Gauthier.Maybe add Mara as an 8th D for the tougher teams.

That’s my best guess,not necessarily what I want.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

33. habs001 says:

it is true that a lot of the ufas will be over paid but in todays era of parity adding couple of 15-20 goal scorers on a team for your 3rd or 4th lines can make a huge difference..boston adding kelly and peverley made a big difference..

34. Hobie Hansen says:

I love Basu’s thinking on this one!!

The most interesting among them is Zenon Konopka of the New York Islanders. Konopka, 30, went undrafted out of junior hockey and spent seven years in the minors – working his way through the ECHL and AHL – before finally landing a full-time NHL gig two seasons ago with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Konopka signed as a free agent with the Islanders last season and blossomed, leading the NHL in penalty minutes, finishing second to Anaheim’s George Parros with 25 fighting majors while also filling a valuable role as a player. He was fourth in the NHL in faceoff percentage (57.7), was fourth among Islanders forwards for shorthanded time on ice per game (1:32), and second among his team’s forwards in blocked shots.

It’s a very interesting package, and Konopka did not hide the fact he would be interested in playing in Montreal when the Islanders visited one night after the infamous Feb. 9 brawlfest in Boston. Trouble for the Canadiens is, again, Konopka will likely have many suitors come Friday, giving him a chance to monetize his abilities to the maximum. Frankly, after persevering so long to make the NHL he deserves the opportunity to do so, but the question is whether or not Gauthier will recognize his unique skill set with a significant offer.

I am not usually cynical of the Habs, but I can just imagine that tomorrow PG holds a press conference and announces he has signed 2 free agents. Benoit Pouliout and Tom Pyatt, both for less than the previous year, by a total of $100,000.

36. SmartDog says:

If I have one wish it’s that Gomer leave (and his Pyle of money stay behind). I’m not counting on that…

So my number TWO wish is that Gauthier only signs someone to a long term deal if it IS a deal. For guys that want to be overpaid, short term deals are okay. Is that so freakin’ hard to do?

Everyone seems to have a wish list. Here is mine:

– To retire in about 5 years
    – Audi S4
    – To shoot in the 70s
    – A bigger bathtub
    – Move to Hawaii

There.

• Hobie Hansen says:

And have MAB naked in the tub with you?

• SmartDog says:

How about “move to Hawaii and have Scott Gomez as your neighbor”.

• punkster says:

Good stuff Mike and all realistic too.

Wait…shoot in the 70s? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

***Subbang Baby!!!***

• LA Loyalist says:

- to have an Audi S4 in Hawaii would be pretty nice, the roads there are smooth and not all heaved and pot-holed like in LA (which is like driving in Beirut). My 911 needs a freaking alignment on a monthly basis as the roads are so bad, and we don’t even have frost.

The only weird thing about that Audi is the gas cap release is in a secret place that you can only find if someone tells you where it is.

– the rest of your wishes, I can’t help with. Though maybe watching Happy Gilmour again might cheer you up.

• HalifaxHabs says:

LOL, nothing like dropping the hint that you own a 911… you must be really cool out there in LA with that Porsche!!!

Just giving you the gears buddy.

ps: can you pick me up at LAX?

38. Hobie Hansen says:

RealKyper Nick Kypreos
    by KatieStrangNYI
    #NHL news. Steve Montador agreeing to terms with #Blackhawks. Word is 11M over 4 yrs.

39. Habfan4lfe says:

@Richards not interested in Montreal. Good for him, I hope Subban levels his arse next time they meet. I rather see Richards being peeled off the boards than have him on our team. Whiny arse he is anyway.

40. GenerationYHabs says:

Don’t know if its true but apprnetly Montador just signed with Chicago.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

Are there any RFAs we could try to steal? Doughty? Stamkos?

That would be fun.

42. J Haul says:

I submit that Stubbs change his twitter name. I follow the habsinsideout1 account with the hopes that there will be Habs updates and inside information. What I actually see is enough Bruins love to make me puke. We get it Stubbs, you love the Bruins. It is unfair, however, to mislead people with that twitter name.

43. habstrinifan says:

Cant wait for tomorrow! Something tells me that PG will add at least two players. I consider it good signs that he isnt dealing with players like Halpern and Pyatt. Moen is under contract but depending on additions could/should be cut loose.

Didnt like the contract offer to Hammrlik but apparently was a prudent enough offer (from habs perspective) to be dismissed by Hammrlik.

PG’s best move so far … one that wasnt just ‘fixing a leaky roof’ was signing Yemelin. If Yemelin is what all seem to say he is then it was a big pro-active move to pry him from the KHL. Gainey couldnt do it. This is a move that didnt fall into PG’s lap, like getting 11th ranked player at 17th position… so GOOD on him.

Quickly signing Weber once he saw Hammrlik’s intent was smart and alert.
    Max Pac and DD are resigned.. rewarding good performances and reinforcing the youth movement.

Astutely weighing Markov’s injury risk but sounder defensive capabilities against Wiz’s 2011 season and UFA cost and the suitability of their respective strong points for our present defense… A plus.

Holding pattern on Auld. I think this is brilliant strategy.

And his “chef d’oeuvre” so far. Conniving to have one P. McGuire’s rights dealt to MSNBC where he will be ‘howling don-wind’ of the Bell Centre! Deviously outstanding PG.

Now I am keeping my fingers crossed that the signals PG is sending point to something aimed at setting the team up as a young, tough, fast-skating, well rounded top ten contender for the CUP in 2011-2012. They are already very resilent and structured on the ice.

Oh and wait till you see who’s replacing Muller. Can you say offensive juggernaut boys and girls????

• LA Loyalist says:

good post, but “holding on Auld” is “brilliant”?

We are a Price groin pull away from Alex Auld as our #1. Are you ok with that? I’m not comfortable at all.

• habstrinifan says:

I am just thinking that having resolved the other important issues we use the ‘what’s left over’ for a backup-goalie without entering any kind of bidding war for one or begin giving priority to signing some high price veteran like Toronto has done so often in last decade.

We can wait long long time on this one.

44. Lix says:

I would not call myself a fan of his, but I think 2 million a year for 2 years plus an option for Raffi Torres would be a great move for this team. More scoring touch than Moen and just right amount of “sandpaper”.

45. Un Canadien errant says:

Can’t wait until tomorrow. Here’s my wish list until then. Please temper it with the usual considerations about wanting contracts for a reasonable amount, reasonable term, etc. Also be aware that I don’t think we’re a player away, or a season away. I want the team to keep and develop and accumulate assets, as opposed to swinging for the fences this year.

1) Simon Gagne. Sure he’s been injured lately, but he’s a finisher and would look great with Plekanec and Cammalleri. Tomas wouldn’t know who to give the puck to, playing on a line with two guys who can bury it, and no offence to Mr. Moen or Mr. Darche. Simon is not a banger, but he has good size and is no pushover. Plus, he should have been a Canadien all along, but we drafted his center instead.

2) Maxime Talbot. Hard worker, team player, has won the Cup before, shows some leadership. He gives us better depth at forward, and kills penalties to give Plekanec a breather.

3) Shane O’Brien. This guy is surging in the polls! Nobody talked about him a week ago, now everyone here on HIO wants to sign him! Shane was a character with the Canucks, he really liked the nightlife, and I can’t say I blame him. I’ve spent a lot of time and money at the Roxy, it’s awesome, but I can’t imagine how much better it must be when you’re a Canuck. In any case, he’s a team guy, his teammates loved him, but Mr. Vignault didn’t like his nightlife exploits, and he also had a run-in with Mr. Gillis, about whether he was only on the team to fight and wasn’t doing enough of it.

While we might worry that he would live on Crescent or St-Laurent, I think he’s a couple years removed from that, maybe he’s grown up, and there is enough strong leadership in the dressing room that he could be kept in line. He would bring a physical presence as a third pairing defenceman, he’d stand up for his teammates, but he also skates fairly well and has a decent shot, so he’s not a goon at all.

———————————

• Andrew65 says:

Gagne for a hometown discount might be nice. Wouldn’t want to pay more than $3.5 though, and not more than 3 years at that. I suspect he’ll do a lot better on the open market.

Talbot – definitely. 3 years, $6M.

O’Brien – not sure he’s moved beyond the party attitude just yet, and our defence is looking pretty good already (assuming Georges comes back). We’d have 7 good guys, plus Diaz. I’d opt for Mara as cheap, tough insurance.

• Hab-it-forming says:

Maybe Gagne and Dumont and Briere a new French Connection…

• habstrinifan says:

A: You are wrong!
      I want credit for Shane O’Brien. I brought up his name here more than a week ago. I would jay-walk on the 417 here in Ottawa if we sign Shane O’Brien.

Great call!

I was gonna debate the others but the fact that you mentioned Shane Obrien makes you genius level, like me… so I agree totally with EVERY SINGLE WORD IN YOUR POST.

46. Habby says:

Jagr’s agent will be talking to Montreal and Detroit, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. So we’re still in the mix as of right now.

Also, who is going to become our next assistant coach? With Captain Kirk gone we do need a replacement. Should Cunneyworth come up, or do we let the Bulldogs keep someting for once?

The drive for 25 is alive!

47. arcosenate says:

Tomorrow at noon starts the most ridiculous overpayment for little talent the NHL has ever seen. The combination of the cap and the floor is going to make teams overpay to fill legitimate needs, a forward for the Habs and an expensive player to make the floor for other teams. I bet it’s going to be a real poop show.

Brad Richards could walk away with $10 million a year by the time it’s over.

I hope Gauthier doesn’t get sucked into overpaying for someone like Cole or even Jagr, but the temptation will be there…

48. avatar_58 says:

Come on already, sign someone so I can get my fix

49. tatoo says:

montreal GM sould consider!!!!!
    his name is Bobby BUTLER/W, 06 feet ,190 p, shoots R .
    IN 36 games with ottawa has 10 goles and 21 points. this speedy forward has nose at the net .he can easly feets in habs top six forward and score 50+ points in full season. he is 24 years old and seems like ottawa dos’nt want to sign him.
    maybe montreal gm sould consider if he dose not sign by friday.

50. Neutral says:

PG tomorrow just don’t fill the holes you created bring in a couple of players whom can contribute on the scoreboard. other teams in the eastern division has gotten stronger no improvement no playoffs…

51. Hobie Hansen says:

Sorry guys just became a Twitter guy. Tell me if you want these updates stopped ;-)

KatieStrangNYI Katie Strang
    #Isles tough guy and fan favorite Zenon Konopka prepared to move on from Islanders tinyurl.com/3msqclh

• HalifaxHabs says:

no Hobie, during free agency and trade deadline days, all updates are appreciated, keep ‘em coming.

I’ve refreshed this site like 50 million times today, just dying for any Habs update.

• GenerationYHabs says:

Stops me from actually having to open an account there myself.

• habstrinifan says:

Thanks… keep them coming!

Keeps me from having to spend my whittling time twittling. Or is it twittering or tweeting or twitting or…. Well you get the idea.

Better you than me… Thanks again!

Jokinen re-signs with Carolina – 3 years/$9M.

Not much left for the Habs in terms of a forward.

53. Chris says:

My two cents:

i) The defence is set. I doubt we’ll see anybody signed on the blue ine.

ii) I’m okay with Jagr coming here, because the forward depth on the UFA market is grim.

iii) UFA’s I somewhat like, but only at the right price: Tomas Fleischmann, Simon Gagne, Scott Hartnell, Ville Leino, Jussi Jokinen, Michael Ryder (was great in the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years, but probably too expensive), Vernon Fiddler (faceoff/checking center), Marcel Goc, Cam Janssen (4th line spot duty), Chris Higgins (come on…you all KNEW I was going to include Higgins!)

iv) Semyon Varlamov appears headed to the KHL. Decent goalie prospect, but a crowded net: Varlamov, Neuvirth and Holtby are all good young prospects and only 1 of them is going to get to be the #1 goalie. Surprised they didn’t try to trade him.

v) Not going to bother paying attention tomorrow…this free agent class is pathetically shallow in talent, so I really don’t see the Habs doing too much as the salaries are going to be stupidly high for mediocre players. But Gauthier has surprised me before, so perhaps you that are going to watch will have something fun to discuss.

Happy Canada Day weekend to everyone…try to get out and enjoy some of the summer sunshine…hockey season will be on you soon enough.

• TomNickle says:

I like your list, even though Hartnell isn’t a free agent ;)

• Chris says:

Doh! For some reason I forgot about that…I hang my head in shame. I was keen on potentially wrangling him away from Philly in a trade before they made the Carter/Richards deals.

I shall now go do my penance and repeatedly watch a YouTube clip of the Boston Bruins hoisting the Stanley Cup. 10-20 viewings ought to purge me of sin for at least another couple of weeks.

• 24 Cups says:

Chris – Hartnell is not an UFA. Jokinen just signed and Ryder can never come back to Montreal.

That leaves Gagne (injury prone), Fleischmann (on meds) and Leino (may re-sign with Philly?). These three guys are going to do ok just because the market is so weak. Do we really want to give them more than one year, because somebody else will for sure.

• TomNickle says:

The only player at forward that I would give a multiple year contract to is Chuck Kobasew. He just didn’t seem to fit in Minnesota but has been highly productive everywhere else.

And even with him I don’t think I’d go beyond two years.

• Chris says:

I know…it is depressing. There isn’t a guy there I would offer more than a 1 year deal for. And with the Habs having so little forward talent ready to make the jump, I really don’t see how the team can improve its scoring, which has been the team’s Achilles heel for quite a number of years.

• TomNickle says:

Just since Martin’s arrival(which happens to coincide with Markov’s injuries). Carbonneau had the team scoring, he just couldn’t keep the dressing room together.

• LA Loyalist says:

Our scoring will improve from having a better back end and therfore better transition game. Of course the forwards still have to finish.

Given what’s out there, I’m inclined to wait until the trade deadline and see how our kids do in the interim.

Happy Canada Day. Ironically I get no fireworks, even though I will be in Canada, as I’ll be in a National Park and it’s too dangerous (Lake Louise) – drinking BIG ROCK BEER!!!!

• habstrinifan says:

Happy Canada Day to you too. I tried to get out and enjoy a family baseball game near free-agent frenzy befor ebut got beamed in the head cause I was daydreaming about a Shanahan press conference in Montreal.

Think I’ll play it safe and set the channel to TSN and my computer to HIO and send the family to the movies.

That’s why I am the HEAD OF THE HOUSEHOLD isnt it?

54. Pat8987 says:

Additions:
    Gagne or Jagr for top 6 player
    Stewart o Talbot for 3rd line
    Rupp or Konopka for 4th line
    Scott or Obrien for 6th/7th D

• mbplekfan says:

Jagr is 39, hasnt played in the NHL for 3 years and was dramatically slowing down when he left. There is no way he could manage more than 3rd line minutes. He plays only when he feels like it and is selfish to a fault. There is no way I’d put him anywhere near the Habs dressing room.

55. edgar_falcon says:

Should sign kovy to a bargain of 6 mil per year for 5 years, that should solve all our problems

56. byrneoNL says:

I’d say pick up Jagr for 2.75, Dumont for 2.0, and throw $3 million at Purcell.

57. edgar_falcon says:

so any news on halpern? i liked him last year and was kinda hoping he would be back although we dont need any centers unless of course gomer is gone. dont get me wrong i like gomez as player he tries and tries but he just doesn’t have it anymore. but a lot of people keep saying sign cole which would be a good idea in my eyes he is a good power forward that we need and is not afraid to go to the net.

58. Hobie Hansen says:

QUESTION:

I’m not saying I want Montreal to sign him because I actually don’t; but what sort of deal do people think Souray will get and what sort of numbers do people think he can put up?

Taking into account that in his last full season he scored 23 goals and he was a plus -1?

And also putting aside your bias against him for chasing the
    money and leaving MTL.

• TomNickle says:

He’ll get $1.5 million from somebody, one year deal.

• Feraco says:

Point taken and here is an unbias oppinion.

He is a compeditor, played hard and played well within his limits.

He had an outstanding year and produced massive goals, mostly from the PP. Defensively he struggled but was physical and stood up for his goalie and teammates.

Here where the politics come to play.

He signs with Edmonton with a grossly overpaid contract. Expectations SOAR. He becomes the centerpiece of the D when he was a supporting cast behind Markov in MTL.

He was expected to perform at his record setting pace. Mix in injuries and conflicts in the locker room, and viola. He is in the minors.

If he wants to be respected in the league, sign for 1 – 2 mil for 1 yr. Play as a 4 or 5 dman and gain credibility.

As for having him in Montreal? If its at 1 – 2 mil, I would look at it if we are in need of a Mara type of fill in.

• Timo says:

Hey, maybe he can be our #2 center. His numbers are way better than Gomer’s.

• Un Canadien errant says:

Based on the features I read on him last season, he acted the consummate pro in the AHL, kept his mouth shut and played hard, even fought when called for. The downside is that apparently his skills are eroding fast, he’s even slower than before, and he got injured again and again. Too bad, we can all reflect on what might have been.

I hope Souray is the last of the great free agents we lose like that. I want us to retain our homegrown talent, and it seems that there is a new perception, as evinced by Cammalleri and Markov, that Montreal is a great team and city to play in the NHL>

———————————

59. Feraco says:

Does anyone else think that some toughness would help to limit opposing teams hammering PK and Markov into the boards + shots after the play?

• HalifaxHabs says:

naw, you’d be the first person to suggest the Habs need to add some toughness.

interesting suggestion though.

• habstrinifan says:

Toughness! Not in the form of a goon or enforcer type but toughness in the form of INTENSITY and ‘move aside guys’, “I’ll handle this” attitude and team-spirit. I dont want a Laraque.

I go back to the scene where Max Pac scores and in the intensity of the moment, he didnt care that it was Chara blocking his way, he gives Chara a shove. Chara shoves back and P.K comes in and without second thought pushes back at Chara. That is the type of ‘intensity’ pushback that the habs need on a day to day basis and why they need ‘toughness’, as you put it, to facilitate that. We all held our breath that a rumble didnt break out then because it would have been an unfair advantage for the BRUINS, as proven in later games. But with the additions I have hinted at.. we could have taken care of business.

Contrast that with Gomez’s reaction when Chara hit Max Pac. You can tell that GOMEZ was angry. But, and this IS NO CONDEMNATION OF GOMEZ, he had to cool down the intensity. So all he could do wa syap at Chara. He couldnt go hell bent at Chara. Just natural self-preservation. So we lost the intensity battle then and for later games… and had to resort to retaliation penalties in later games.

So yes! yes! yes! Intensity and toughness suplied by a front end and a back end.. utility player. You know like Bouchard used to give us in the 70’s. Would be nice to have a GAINEY type or a Riseborough or a NILAN type but dont think they are available. So I will settle for two players we can insert in the lineup who are gonna be team-first and ‘ok’ skaters and not pure GOONS.

I like Shane O’Brien. I think he is sitting in the weeds and can be had reasonably. He is BIG AND MEAN and may be a bit wacko, as some posters have indicated. But with the structural soundness of JM’s system and the leadership on this team I think he will be brought into line. And I hate to be stereotypical but I like that Irish heritage .. least his name says he is.

This guy was drafted late, is a good skater, and has performed beyond expectations and draft position at every level. I think his stats over his short career support my view that he is quite useful. And HE IS A GOOD SKATER, so should fit in with this team. He’s young and may be a handful, but I think he can be managed.

Of course there are others who, more knowledgeable, posters may put forward as better candidates. I will take anyone who fits the bill.

I believe in this group of players we have, the core of which I have identified in many posts. I believe that infused with that intensity and ‘toughness’ this team will get better scoring from the likes of Plekanec, Camm, Gionta, AK46, Pac and Eller with Markov, Subban, Yemelin, Weber providing back end artillery.

I mean the quality of the names jump out at you.. read them again. But what has happened is that our players like Plekanec and Cam and Giona and Pac are being asked to focus on the ‘battles for the puck’ to the detriment of their natural gifts. And it hurts our production and increases injuries.

Unlike many posters here, I do not want a high price supposedly super-sniper like Richards or n unpredictable veteran-artist like Jagr…. I will forego these high cost UFAS unless the name is Crosby. Even STAMKOS, I dont think is a complete enough player (right now) to cary our team on his own, which is what we will be asking if we shelve out 7mill for anyone.

I have faith in the guys we have. I like the team concept they have developed. It is just that they need ‘protection’ if you want to call it that.

So you add an O’Brien type in the back-end and similar in the front end and you let Moen go(no intensity inhis game anymore), and you have White and Yemelin and P.K who can contribute additional sandpaper without being ‘killed’ by BIGGER GUYS or without giving up their real game.

60. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Not sure if this was posted already (sorry if it was), but Wiz posted a thank you to Montreal fans.

(hope he doesn’t hear the boo-birds when he comes back)

61. Sakus Evil Twin says:

Am I the only one who thinks that the Jagr experiment would be an epic fail?

Yes, he and Pleks seemed to have some good chemistry over the handful of games in which they played together at the WHC, but how does that compare to the grind of an 82+ NHL Season…

The WHC is a day of marlin fishin’ – the NHL is a Behring Sea crabbing season.

aaaand you lot want to spend upwards of $3 million on this?

It’s the second coming of Kovy, I tells ya.

No answers, just opinions. Bite me. Och.

• shiram says:

I don’t see him as a coming in on the top 3, maybe on the third line, and if works out great, kick him on the second or first.
      There is risk, but you can’t always play safe.

• Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Under 3 mil for one year isn’t a huge risk, when you have money to spend and there isn’t much on the UFA list.

• Feraco says:

Talent yes.

3rd line / 2nd line player yes.

Can he put up points? – probably

Is he a head case and good for the locker room – Probably.

On that note if Pleks wants him and Gio is cool with it, bring him in. 1 yr at 3 mil is digestable.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

What about AK-Eller-Jagr and then use him on the 1st PP with Cammy and Pleks?

• edgar_falcon says:

could be worse could resign kovy lol

• habstrinifan says:

To all who wish for Jagr, tell me if he WILL make our other players better by his presence. Does he answer the so obvious need in our lineup which, if I may say so, I am correct in identifying in a previous post under this thread.

62. timbo_habfan says:

It appears that the choice of UFAs is slim. If we make an assumption (yes, an assumption) that we will be in the playoffs come Trade Deadline, who are some UFAs NEXT year on teams that may be looking to unload? Are there good candidates that should be available then?

Now more than ever, we need the Jedi.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

yeah but its so far from now, that we dont know who wil be resigned by then. this years fa class was the one of the worst ive ever seen. it probably means teams will overspend for thier needs.

• Feraco says:

The thing is that soooooo much can happen over a season.

Look at last year’s injuries and pickups. All in all with all of the pickups and fill ins we had a good, competitive team. (aka Praise Carey Price)

If Carey plays the same way, we can put good ol’ Stephane Quintal on the blue line and we will be successful.

We will be missing Eller for a month or so because of his shoulder surgery. Would be nice to have a veteran fill in for him so he can take his time to get back into shape and up to game speed. Cue Jagr!!!

63. db says:

Is there no way for the programmers of this site to make it so that every link opens in a new window/tab?

That way, HIO stays open and where I left it. Sometimes I forget to ctrl-click is all :)

(Or if someone cares to explain why they don’t open in another window)

• shiram says:

I right click => open in a new tab.

• db says:

Thanks guys, to save one the time of right clicking you can also open in a new window like so:

middle click, for those with that button on the mouse

CTRL- Click will also open it in a new tab

The thing is, on a website everything is done on purpose, so I wonder why HIO would allow links to open in the HIO window… just wonderin aloud :)

• shiram says:

Maybe because the Montreal Gazette online now asks for subscription.
          I only press stop on my browser before it loads the subscription page and read the news.

• AK_PK_Usay says:

dont use LMB use the RMB then you get the menu and can choose new tab or window

• habs78 says:

You can do the right-click thing….but its completely possible that all links open in a new window. You just simply say to open in a new window in the html code….

Perhaps I should ask if I can have a job with them LOL

64. Hab-it-forming says:

News break. J P Dumont is available! http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370462

French Canadian and 6′ 205 lbs…

Could be a good fit.

• db says:

Seriously, what happened to him? SK? lol

He used to be good for 60-70 points a year.. If we can get him for 2 mil or less I’d go for it.

Winning faceoffs is key to controlling the puck.

• Un Canadien errant says:

I asked about him about a week ago, no one responded positive or negative.

He used to play really well against us when he was with the Sabres, but his stats don’t look that great lately. Wondering if anyone out there knows a little more about what’s going on.

———————————

65. AK_PK_Usay says:

My view is that Richards wants to be a 2nd line center in a city where he can walk down the street without getting recognized… so forget Montreal. Which is good, because he will get OVERPAID…

Honestly, after a few months off, i already dislike Gomez less lol

• Feraco says:

Gomez is ok, seems to me that the room is strong and thats why removing Gomez from the equation would not sit well with players that get along with him, especially considering Cammi and Gionta came here to play with him.

What worries me is what has been a strong suit over the years.

The D.

Love Markov and am a strong believer to sign him but 3 yrs worries me. If an injury occurs to PK or Markov, I dont see anyone stepping up to help out the offence. One more D man that can pass the puck, is physical, and can fill in on the powerplay would be nice. Dennis Siedenburg type of guy would be nice.

All that being said – Emelin could step in and we would forget about Hammer pretty quick and if Weber can be an offensive D man on the PP we would have a much quicker D.

Spachek has a brutal year last year. I hope thats not his standard of play this year.

66. Feraco says:

By the looks and sounds of it, it seems as though Mr. Gauthier is preparing for 1 or 2 scenarios.

Scenario 1 – Hope that the young guns continue to develope. Desjarnais, Eller, White, Pactioretty, Weber + the addition of Markov to the line up. Thus, making no moves or minimal depth moves and keep the room for next years FA.

Scenario 2 – They will be looking at making room via trade or FA to pick up a low end 2nd line guy, one that would come at a price of 3 mil and could play on the 1st / 3rd line as I believe Kostitsyn has 1st dibs at 1st line opportunity. Can’t see them trading many of the young players as they come cheap and have upside.

How about they package a 1st and a prospect to TB for Malone?

• AK_PK_Usay says:

Gauthier can look at his team, an inferior one did fine last year, and this year’s team seems much better, all our youngsters get more experience, markov and gorges are back, we upgraded our other Dmen, emmelin will either be starting or a great backup…

People criticize him for liking his team, i like my team too.

67. AK_PK_Usay says:

Gauthier seems like a tiny upgrade over his predecessor. I am willing to give him the next 2 seasons to show us what he is made of.

Markov is btw the most talent montreal can hope to sign for his true salary and not an overinflated one.

I honestly hope PG keeps that money free for march, and just signs some depth players, say Sean Bergeinheim…

68. SmartDog says:

5 EASY QUESTIONS:
    Would you sign:
    1. Pouliot for 1 year a $1 million?
    2. Jagr for 1 year at $3 million?
    3. Auld for 1 year at $1 million?
    4. Cole for 1 year at $2.75 million?
    5. Upshall for 1 year at $2.25 million?
    SD

69. Brinkley says:

Considering the number of top-6 forwards available I can’t see the Habs making a big splash in the FA market.

Brad Richards? I question his team commitment despite the fact that he was a Captain in Tampa!

Richards allegedly ‘volunteered’ to leave the team when they were having $$$ problems – maybe not interested in becoming a solution to the problems.

If Gauthier can get some bigger and grittier forwards to help out on the 3rd and 4th line – that would be a good start – otherwise, save your money until a player or a deal comes along that works better for the HABS!

Why spend money for the sake of spending money?

70. hfxtars54 says:

what about signing kaberle? seems tome he could fit into the line up possibly and could help out Yemlin with the tradition to North America. I mean with 8 million PG needs to find I defence men that could take over number d duties if Markov is gone for another full year

le_ch_1909

71. Britton says:

Hey guys, haven’t commented in a while, but couple things I’d like to see:

A) Ville Leino! He’s a horse. Him with Cammy & Pleks would be absolutely PERFECT.
    B) Max Talbot. Great player. He’s looking for a 4 year + deal with a team that has a decent chance of winning.
    C) Cam Barker. Great guy with a HUGE upside. Only 25. 6’3″, just got bought out by the wild. 68 hits this year. Has the potential to become a 10 goal, 20 assist, 75 hits a year sort of player. I’ve met him before, too. Very, very good guy.

72. emann_222 says:

If the Flyers really go after Stamkos, they won’t have room for Leino … are they really prepared to set him free … if so – Shouldn’t PG go after him as a steal for the Habs?

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

All alone at the end of draft dealing
    And my deep thoughts have faded to you
    I was thinking ’bout a team that wants Gomie
    For a 7th pick and an AHLer too
    You know he’s a real team player
    (spent his life skatin’round)
    When he makes his line change
    (the puck doesn’t settle down)
    But the teams I’ve dealed lately
    Keep on spurning on and spurning on
    And turning all away

Put the Gomie on waivers
    And get a new star signed
    And spend to the cap limit one more time

We can try every year making the play-offs
    But we end up booking early tee times
    If it all fell into place for a deeper run
    Would we still want him signed

And when you’re looking to make a deal
    (nobody seems to care)
    To a team that can’t find the floor
    (can’t find one anywhere)
    When you’ve nothing you can trade with
    Still you’re coming back, you’re on the same old track
    Trying to trade him once more

Put the Gomie on waivers
    And get a new star signed
    And spend to the cap limit one more time

Spend to the cap limit
    Spend to the cap limit
    Spend to the cap limit one more time

(Sung to the tune Take It To The Limit by The Eagles)

74. Dintrox says:

Both Barker and Souray on unconditional waivers so they can be bought out

75. Fansincebirth says:

Bust or Boom?

Is PG going to sit quietly and be satisfied with this team or is he going to pull the trigger and shock us with big deal?

Your thoughts/predictions….

• thehabsfan29 says:

i hate to say it but i say bust
      i dont see him doing much

if he was smart he would do these 2 things

1. sign upshall (passionate player and can contribute offensively
      2. trade spacek for Barker (if they wouldnt take the deal sign o’brien to a contract)

but i cant see PG doing much

Maybe If we are lucky we will get rid of gomez but the chances of that are between slim and none.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

eller might get packaged, his high value could help move a spacek or gomez, I like eller aalot, but he has so much value, plus I have alot of faith in DD and louis leblanc will start playing for us in the next couple years, and with leblanc on the rise, plek signed long term, i really see the habs shopping eller, no rush, but how else can u get rid of spacek??

• db says:

The only way to get rid of Spacek is with time. He has to play out the deal… there’s no other way.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

i really hope your wrong because he hurts our team more then he helps, from all i saw last season, he was on the ice for alot of bad goals, out of position no physcial play, but must of all we brought him in for the one timer, we have al yet to see!

I really hope they find away to unload his 3/75 million or whatever, that 4 million could really help us land something nice, our defence is more then fine without him,