Gauthier has money in the bank

pierre-gauthier

With the decisions Wednesday to sign Yannick Weber and trade James Wisniewski, as well as Roman Hamrlik turning down Pierre Gauthier’s contract offer, the Canadiens general manager will have upwards of $8 million to spend on free agents come Friday, Pat Hickey says.

With just over $50 million committed to 17 players, that $8 million reflects what would be left after Josh Gorges, Ryan White, another forward and a backup goalie.

1. mike3131 says:

It would be a terrible idea to go after JP Dumont, right? Nashville bought him out.

2. GenerationYHabs says:

Anyone else finding themselves refreshing the page constantly waiting on some big news to be announced?

3. durocher says:

Here are my suggestions: sign Upshall (UFA), Rupp (UFA), Souray (who will be bought out), and somehow unload Spacek.

Cammy-Pleks-Upshall
    Patches-Gomer-Gio
    AK46-Eller-Rupp
    Darche-DD-Moen
    White

Marky-Subban
    Gill-Gorges
    Souray-Emelin
    Weber

If we have $8m, $3.25m can go to Upshall, $1m to Rupp, and an incentive-laden $2.5m deal to Souray.

4. CHsam says:

Flashing back to the series vs theBruins, I have key memories of Plekanec burning down the ice on breakaways. In my mind, with a healthy MaxPac, another forward, and Markov, we could easily have taken it to the Bruins…. And even then we lost by one goal. We burned them on speed and I don’t think Thomas’ horseshoe is going to stay wedged up his stock arsehole forever. He’s good and has good reflexes, but with more firepower we can bury that sonofagun. Same goes for the Flyers ths year. Just hope Gomez stops staring at his online chequing account and start working like a madman.

5. davelecave says:

Great give and go between Plek and Jagr. Great no look pass. This could be a Habs goal, just think about it.

6. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I don’t have a strong opinion on it one way or the other, but Antti Miettinen seems like the type of player current management likes. And he’s a 20 goal scorer on the Wild — not an easy thing to do. Like I said, not sure what I think about it, but he does seem like the type of player PG would go for…

7. Hobie Hansen says:

JoshuaCooper JoshuaCooper
    by TSNBobMcKenzie
    Preds won’t re sign Shane O’Brien

I think the guy would be awesome as our 5th/6th D!

He stepped his game up in the playoffs to become a part of Nashville’s top 4 D.

He’s 6’3″ 230lbs and would fight Lucic, Thornton or McQuaid in a heartbeat.

• thehabsfan29 says:

i think o’brien would fit in very well with the habs
      shouldn’t be that expensive also
      plus he seems like the type of player who would love to play for the habs and would prolly sign here for 2-3 years

• Hobie Hansen says:

He made 1.6 last year and I’d flip if the Habs signed him for a 6 mill for three years.

The guy is maybe not deserving of 20 plus minutes a game but could easily play well in the bottom pairing and you wouldn’t see nearly as many players screwing around in front of Price!

• PeterStone says:

i love o’brien. we should have tried to get him when VAN traded him. The only question with him would be the Montreal night life, which is well documented he indulged in frequently on the west coast.

8. Ali says:

just watched the rds interview with pouliot, its pretty clear the habs wont bring him back at even a lower salary.

9. TomNickle says:

JP Dumont is now a free agent.

10. durocher says:

What about taking a look at Scottie Upshall?

11. Favorite Son says:

What’s the sitch with Talbot? Are the Leafs gonna sign him?

12. eric says:

I think Jagr would up Cammis and Plecs production 5 on 5 not to mention the PP.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I agree, the only thing I worry about is him playing first line minutes and the PP — he’s no spring chicken.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

jagr played with PLEKS in the worlds this offseason, pleks mentioned something to jagr for sure, i think jagr will help pleks offensice production, jagr seems to me to be another kovalev however, but he gains more respect, I’d just be worried about his play 5 on 5.

13. emann_222 says:

Sorry to go off topic boys – but has anyone heard of a member on here named “Showey47″?

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

14. Newf_Habster says:

Pouliot wanted to stay in Montreal.

Oh well…

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I think tht was obvious! Its too bad hes a good guy and all, but he has no grit or confidence, and he was always out of position, taking bad penalties, and falling everywhere on the ice, he has got to be one of the worst skating NHL players out there.

• shiram says:

Guy basically admits to having issues, and not having worked on them, and that the coaching staff we’re always honest with him. I don’t get the feeling the management or coaching failed him.

Sad to see a kid with his potential leave, but I still think his future was in his hand when last season started.

• Chuck says:

It doesn’t mean that he still won’t be retained by the team. If a better option for the team doesn’t come along, he could be re-signed.

• avatar_58 says:

So? Don’t demand more money then. Come back at 1 mil or less.

• kalevine says:

Pretty classy comments by the young guy, compared to what Latendresse said when he was dealt

• Un Canadien errant says:

There’s a difference between wanting to and wanting it. Benoit seems a little dreamy, like he always got by on his skill. If we could give him 10% of David Desharnais’ drive, maybe we’d have something.

———————————
      Let’s do something like this again: 1) Mike Cammalleri 2) Brian Gionta 3) Hall Gill

15. thehabsfan29 says:

so minny was looking to deal cam barker. i think they would have taken spacek for him

would u do cam barker for spacek and maybe a pick if they wouldn’t take just spacek?

Thoughts?

• Mike D says:

I wouldn’t include a pick. I think a bust in exchange for a salary dump is fair enough.

- Honestly yours

• thehabsfan29 says:

i agree a pick would be too much but i dont get why PG doesnt do this deal. Minny would prolly take it.
        our d lines could look like

Markov yemelin
        Gill subban
        Gorges Barker
        and weber on the 4th line

this deal makes a lot of sense

• Malreg says:

You obviously haven’t seen Barker play the last 2 seasons. He has been terrible, much worse than Spacek.

There’s a reason Minnesota, who just traded Burns, is going to buy him out.

16. Ghosts of the Forum says:

I like the idea of Maxime Talbot. He’s used to playing with stars, has a Cup (and is pretty clutch — two goals in Game 7 of the finals). Plays hard every night and knows how to capitalize on the play of great linemates. Wouldn’t be that expensive and I think he’d create some room for Pleks and Cammy to do their thing while contributing 20 some goals.

That said just for fun, we could probably afford him and Jagr (don’t really think it’ll happen, but what the heck), so move Talbot with Gio and Gomer and you get….

Cammy-Pleks-Jagr
    Gio-Gomez-Talbot
    AK-Eller-Patches ( I really like this line)
    Darche – DD – White – Moen in whatever combo for the fourth

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

the habs really need to find a way to move spaceks contract, maybe packaging him with eller, for a scoring winger in the solution.

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I’m not keen on moving Eller. He really impressed me in the playoffs and I think he’ll be a great addition. As for Spacek, I’m skeptical about him too, but what I’m hoping is that with far less minutes and responsibility this year he’ll be more effective. With all the injuries he and Hamrlik were asked to do a lot…way too much in fact. On the third pairing mentoring this Yemelin kid (who I know nothing about) I’m OK with him. Shame about the money, but if it helps Yemelin develop than so be it. Just as long as he isn’t playing huge minutes I think Spatches still has a season left in him where he can quietly go about his business.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I really dont like spacek, I really wished the habs could have moved him last year, but they had way to mny injuries on defence. hes really soft on D, he out of position quite often, I really think he hurts the team more then he helps it. he was brought in for his one timer on the PP, and I havnt seen much if any of that weapon.

I do like eller lot too, I think he will be solid NHL player, but the reality is we will hve to move him eventually, with pleks signed through 2015, and leblanc coming up, eller is expendable, he has amazing value, and we could get a good winger for him in reutrn, I wouldnt be pressed at all to move him, but shopping him, could yield some interesting results

• arya13 says:

I like that a lot. If you can sign Stewart to a 2 way and Mara to a cheap deal. I think that would be a very deep team with some options if certain options did not work out.

Would be a coup if he could land Jagr/Talbot/Stewart though. 2 Quebecers and a guy with mullet. That’s like the ultimate Montreal jackpot right there. Fans would go nuts.

MaxPac will raise 2 Stanley Cups in his career to show Chara that his is worth nothing.

• Malreg says:

He reportedly rejected a 3 year, $3.9 million (total, so $1.3/year) deal from Pittsburgh, so I don’t know how cheap he would come…

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

Good point, and 20 goals might be a bit much to expect from him too, having just looked at his stats. He’s good in the playoffs though. I’d still like to see him with the Habs as long as we don’t overpay for him. Maybe he’s just holding out to play in his home province!

17. HNS says:

Maybe Markov can convince his buddy Ovenchicken to get out of DC and bring the cup to Montreal

18. longbow says:

Would love to see Gomez or Scacek or both moved today but that would be to lucky if that happened.If there is any interest for them out there it would only happen after the free agent frenzy is over.I would guess other GM’s wouldn’t want to provide us with an additional 3.8,7.3 or 11.1 million in cap space on top of the 14m we have heading to July 1st.They know it would restrict our ability to make a big splash.
    If we proceed as though we were sure to move them and temporarily go over the cap other GM’s would probably not take them and force us into a corner. Also,I’m sure GM’s with Cap-floor issues will wait to see if they can get to the floor without resorting to taking on Gomer’s or Spacek’s contract.I’d guess if Gomez could be moved Gauthier would make a very nice offer to Richards.That would make us a much better team.

“Wanting is often more pleasurable than having.It is not logical but it is often true.” – Spock

• VTHockey11 says:

Unfortunately I believe Richards has his eyes set on just a few markets, from what I’ve read. He’s almost a lock to go to New York, and I think we have a better shot at chasing Stamkos if his negotiations with Tampa fall through. They have money locked up in St. Louis and Lecavalier that means a team with more cap room like the Habs could potentially outbid them.

I’m just dying to see whether Stamkos reaches a deal with the Lightning because it sounds more and more like the Flyers are out of that game and since we haven’t pursued Wisniewski we could be in that game.

It would be pretty incredible to finally have a star in Montreal. How long has it been since our biggest star wasn’t a goalie? I mean, Guy Lafleur was our last true superstar forward. It would be nice to not have to rely so much on Price next season.

• longbow says:

The Richards to the Rangers thing could very well be true but I think it is based on assumptions made by the media.Speculation at this point.

• VTHockey11 says:

I’d love to get Richards, but the more important thing I’ve seen across most everywhere is that he has no interest in going to Montreal.

Too bad. We have a young core that he could be great with. Let’s hope the media is wrong. They have been many times in the past :-)

19. Tony McLean says:

I say blow it all on a power forward. All of it.

Chara should never mess with our players again. Take him down.

• GenerationYHabs says:

Didn’t know there were any gorillas in the ufa pool this year.

(Edited)
      Was actualy responding to the Chara thing, didn’t realise it was your signature.

20. eagleyes says:

money in the bank and crap on the ice.
    let the canadiens tradition of the last few years of keeping and signing more small players. letting wiz do and signing weber???
    PG and JM should get some b@LLS

• davelecave says:

Yannick Weber – 850,000$
      James Wisniewski – ~4-5Million$

• Ghosts of the Forum says:

I think Wiz may end up being even closer to 5 million. That’s a lot to play on a second or third pairing. And Weber has been steadily developing — a young, talented Dman. Would be nuts to let him go. I certainly like Weber when he scored in game 7. Wiz was a really good guy and a good player, but he’s not a 5 million dollar dman. He could be scary in his own end at times. And with Markov and Subban and eventually Weber, I think we have pretty solid offense from the backend already. Hope he does well in Columbus, but would’ve been crazy to keep him.

21. ed lopaz says:

if we can pay AK46 3.2 million to score 20 goals and play on the 3rd line, I would have to say that Gauthier should be considering paying about the same for Jagr to play 1st line with Pleks, and 1st line power play.

I believe that a 1 year and 3.25 million for Jagr will get it done.

It sounds like a lot but lets look at the facts for a moment.

1) Jagr is 1st line and 1st line PP

2) if healthy, he,s good for 20+ goals and 30+ assists

3) pleks will do great this season and he needs to bounce back from a 57 point season

4) Jagr has great size – not fighting, but BIG – which when coupled with his tremendous reputation,

this will open some time and space for the entire line. Teams like Boston and Philly will be less inclined to take liberties out there, because Jagr
    is respected.

Also Jagr is a dirty player – in a good way, if he plays for the Habs!!!

jagr will not hesitate to stick a Bruin or Philly in the back of the legs, or get his stick up high in the corners,

I say go out and get him!!

With Jagr, I truly believe that we could beat anyone in a 7 game series.

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

we need more then size, we need players who use their size and ply big! jagr isnt physical hes may be dirty, but his game is built on finesse, if given PP time, he can very easily pot 20 for an nhl team

22. Rudy says:

If Jagr can’t sign until July 1 at noon. Why isn’t this “tamepring”? He’s getting to negotiate with people before the other UFAs are.

• Mike D says:

His rights aren’t currently owned by any NHL team.

I wasn’t even aware that he had to wait til July 1st to sign, but others are fairly sure that’s the case so I’ll take their word for it.

- Honestly yours

• nick says:

I believe it’s because he isn’t under contract with any NHL team. That said, I’m not sure what his status is with the KHL.

23. HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

hey PG, Erik Cole is availbale sign him. Hes a big guy, who plays with grit, goes to the front the net, works hard in the corner.

he alwys plays well agaisnt us, hes a 20-30 goal scorer, I always wanted him in montreal, I think he would fit reallyy well.

Also since winnipeg didnt sign anthony stewart, he should be reallly taken a hard look at.

• Mike D says:

Carolina has to spend about 12mil just to get to the cap floor and currently have only 5 forwards signed for next year. Since Cole plays well for them and comes at a reasonable cap hit I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t keep him.

Of course, they haven’t signed him yet either which could mean he wants to test the market and play elsewhere, or see how much money he can get.

I’m also a bit intrigued by Anthony Stewart but am not sure where he would fit (or who he would bump) on our roster.

- Honestly yours

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I guess I’m like most habs fan i want to have the protypical power forward somewhere on our top 2 lines.

• Mike D says:

Me too. We have MaxPac, but another would be nice. To be honest, AK46 is capable of playing that way, but he doesn’t for some reason.

- Honestly yours

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

thats why i feel like the habs might be shopping eller to get that true power forward, like i said earlier I like eller alot, but he has great value, and with the depth of leblanc coming up and pleks signed long term i just dont see them hanging on to eller,

I also think that DD even though small is capable if being a really dangerous player in the league,

Montreal has needed a true power forward for almost 2 decades it seems, al la joh n lecaire, hopefully they find their guy at some point this season

• Tony McLean says:

Yeah I’d take Stew in a minute! All upside!

Chara should never mess with our players again. Take him down.

This Jagr watch is a very difficult thing. Part of me really wants the Habs to go for it and get him, but the other part says don’t go near this with a 10 foot pole he is too old and halfway through season him and JM will be at each others throats!

• TomNickle says:

Wasn’t too old to set the WHC on fire.

• Mike D says:

I feel the same way. It’s almost impossible to have any set of expectations and call them realistic when it comes to Jagr, regardless of who he signs with.

I can see him sucking and potting 5 just as easily as I can see him playing great and potting 35, or anything in between.

The attractive part is that he’s only looking for a 1 year deal at an affordable price. He wouldn’t affect any teams long-term plans and he isn’t a burden on the cap either.

- Honestly yours

• Rudy says:

If Jagr can’t sign until July 1st at noon, why isn’t this tampering?

• Timo says:

Well, if it will result in JM’s departure it will be worth it and then some.

• PeterStone says:

i’m with you. His potential is difficult to ignore, its his desire which I have to question. Does he really have a desire to win everything ? Does he have anything to prove ? Not convinced.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I almost fell of my chair when I first heard the Jagr rumors but after thinking about it, it could work.

The main reason is that although he’s a weirdo; he can stick that big rear end of his out and keep people away from the puck. If he gains the puck in the corner I think he could still do a good job of driving to the net and getting the puck to the likes of Plekanec or Cammalleri. Or he might take the shot himself.

If Jagr did end up here that would allow Kostitsyn to drop down and play with Eller.

And as long as the muscled up on the 4th line or added a nasty 6th defenseman and I welcome the mullet man to town.

25. avatar_58 says:

You a-hole I had to check TSN

8 mil eh? Well… all he has to do is find another Gomez and he can take an extended vacation from all that hard work until October.

27. TomNickle says:

According to?

Sergei Kostitsyn to the KHL.

Haha. Just kidding.

29. habs001 says:

at the end of the day the goal is to make the playoff…with parity in the nhl each series can go either way…the habs can beat anyone in the playoffs but get beaten by any team…even if we played the leafs,islanders the series would go 6-7 games and games decided by clutch and overtime goals…

• t1tan5 says:

I understand your sentiment, but the fact of the matter is this: underdog teams make runs every year, but rarely win the cup. Two seasons ago, we experienced that personally. Runs only require a hot goalie and a couple forwards on fire. Cup winners usually have great depth and provide balanced scoring. Only top echelon teams have these qualities and that is why they win the cup more often than not.

• TomNickle says:

Montreal and Boston were separated by two regular season wins and one overtime win.

That’s hardly a situation where one is a significant underdog.

• HardHabits says:

That is by far the most disingenuous argument that is made here ad nauseum.

The Bruins had more points in the season. They had a far superior goals differential. And those are only the statistics.

The Bruins completely throttled the Habs at the end of the season. The Habs had a chance to take the division and the Bruins beat the idea right out of them.

It’s about momentum. Yes the Habs won the seasons series but it was the Bruins who took momentum into the play-offs. They ended on a roll. The Habs limped into the play-offs. The limping started in the season and got worse as it wore on. The Bruins on the other hand muscled their way all the way to a Cup final win.

The Habs were the under-dog in round 1 by a wide margin. The Habs will be an under-dog against the Bruins and in the division next season as well. Regardless of how well they play against them.

• TomNickle says:

Yep you’re absolutely right Dave. Which is exactly why Montreal opened up a 2-0 lead on the road, ya know, cuz the Bruins had ALL OF THE MOMENTUM. Because Boston was the FAR SUPERIOR TEAM. And the series was decided by one goal. Yes, oh please go on again about how the Bruins were so much better that all Hab fans should want to crawl into a hole and die of embarrassment about how much better the Bruins are. They’re just so dominant that three of their wins came in overtime and the series was decided by a deflection. Yes, oh yes they’re so much better it’s sickening.

What time are you taking the meds today?

• JayBee says:

The Bruins are an all around better team. Yes, the Habs won the season series but that means nothing.

I’m not sure how you can watch the Habs for 82 games + playoffs and be content with the team and its philosophy. Nursing 1 goal leads in the 1st period and playing rope a dope hockey is NOT what we should be content with.

Do people not remember the Bruins controlling the play and Price standing on his head for most of that series? If Price is decent, Habs get swept.

Need to get a tougher team…..there’s a reason why the Habs are poor 5 on 5….yet good in transition and on the PP…and it’s attributed to size (creating space for our smaller skilled players) and toughness (not allowing our smaller players to get pushed around). How can people not see this?

• petefleet says:

Are you insane? It was the absence of a second line centre that allowed Boston to beat MTL in the first round. One goal. One goal that the useless Gomez could pay 7.5 million to set up or score. It’s that simple. I cannot believe you’re serious.

***Habs Forever***

• TomNickle says:

Hey JayBee. Show me where I once said that I was content with where the team is at? One time.

• emann_222 says:

How is it that a team is considered the underdogs by a wide margin when they “limped into the playoffs” yet managed to take the Bruins to 3 OT games in the best of seven, took them to 7 games in the series, and by all rights, could have won that series given a few different puck bounces?

I’m pretty sure if you asked any player on the Stanley Cup winning Bruins if they felt their first round opponent was a “limping, non-threat” – you’d get an awful lot of players answering in the negative.

Just my opinion.

• t1tan5 says:

In a conference where 14 points separated first from eighth, a seven point discrepancy is significant. I never said that the Habs were a decided underdog in that series. In fact, I didn’t even mention the 2011 playoffs in my post. If you look at the cup winners for the past ten years, only the 2009 Penguins had less than 100 pts. Yes, they had 99, but the fact remains that 9 times out of ten, the cup winner will be part of the NHL’s top tier of teams in that given year.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t think the Bruins were leaps and bounds better than the Habs but they definitely had a bit more horsepower.

Many time during the regular season Montreal was on their tail in the standings but they were able to rattle off a few wins and pull back ahead.

Habs caught them on their heals in the playoffs but the Bruins were able to regroup and get the job done.

Habs are right there with the Bruins but perhaps don’t quite have the strength/stamina and are one impact player away from being their equal.

Yes Hobie! Thank you!

30. t1tan5 says:

A player I hear nobody talking about is Chris Drury. This guy is a solid two-way right handed centre that is pure money in the playoffs. In addition, I think we could get him on the cheap (maybe 2.5 million). I’m not saying he will, but he is capable of playing in all situations and is a good faceoff guy. He would fit in very nicely as a third line centre, IMO.

• TomNickle says:

And what centreman would you like to boot off of the roster to make room for him?

• t1tan5 says:

Eller and Desharnais are great and all, but they don’t really fit the bill for a checking line centre as neither of them are particularly good in the defensive zone. I don’t know which of these two centres would get demoted, but I feel that Eller would benefit from consistent top six time in Hamilton more than DD. Playing in the bottom six and getting zero PP time is doing Eller no favours.

• TomNickle says:

No disrespect. But I think you’re wrong. Eller has skill to burn, is big enough and is intelligent enough to be in the NHL. His issue with scoring last season was that he held onto the puck a little too long whenever he was in a strong position offensively. That’s a common hurdle for rookies.

• cboden says:

I think they’re grooming DD for 3rd line center. He got PK time towards the end of last season and did quite well at it. I believe they want him to play the Dave Bolland, Jordan Staal or Many Malhotra role.

With some experience Eller will be a 2nd line center. The problem is he’s quite not ready for it yet, the AHL won’t help him and he’s far better at center than wing.

• t1tan5 says:

As we saw last year, Eller is MILES better as a centre than as a winger. I do agree that he can, in time, be a second line centre for us. The problem is that we don’t have the time to let him grow into that position on the big team. Plex and Gomez will be the top two centres on this team for better or for worse. I think if he played in the AHL, he would automatically play as a first line centre and would get first wave PP minutes. He would have the opportunity to perfect his timing and his vision. We all know he can dangle, but dangling is useless if your vision needs improving.

• Timo says:

Do you even have to ask?

• blazend says:

Chris Drury is done dones! His body is broken…no thanks

• TommyB says:

Pure money in the playoffs? You would have to go back a few years to make that argument. Granted he played with the Rangers the last few years, who did not go very deep in the playoffs, but his stats, regular season and playoff, have dropped considerably the last 3-4 years. Was he unhappy as a Ranger? He bailed on Buffalo soon as he was UFA to sign with the Rangers. His stats went south consistently with his years in New York while he counted his money from his new UFA contract. So, what makes him so solid in your mind? I would ask, what makes him move from team to team rather frequently? If you ask me, there has to be a problem with this guy.

• t1tan5 says:

New York didn’t go far enough in the playoffs for Drury to do anything significant. I agree that his play has dropped in the last few seasons. This is why I think we could get him on the cheap to play checking line minutes, not top six minutes. In this position, Drury would not be expected to get 60 or 70 pts. All I would expect from him is an honest day’s effort, playing defensively responsible hockey, and winning important draws (at the moment, we have no right-handed centres). I don’t see where you get the complacency argument from. From all accounts, he wore his jersey with pride. Also, he’s played for three teams his entire career. I don’t know how that constitutes him as a flight risk.

• TommyB says:

4 teams in 12 years, but I guess that’s splitting hairs. His best season as a Ranger was his first season. 58 pts/80 games. I’ll leave it to you to go look up where his stats went after that. So, if you would expect 60 or 70 pts. out of him, I think you would be disappointed. Just my opinion.

• t1tan5 says:

I do NOT expect 60-70 points. As I said, I expect him to play checking line minutes, so 60-70 points from there would be a miracle.

31. joshua94k says:

Message to Montreal fans from James Wisniewski’s blog.

…Taking it all in, James updated his Islanders teammates, who also happened to be part of his Call of Duty group, and started making plans. He instinctively recognized the significance of the move, prepped his wife, Nicole, and took some time to think. He’d soon be in a new country, speaking a different language, and among avid hockey fans at every turn. What an opportunity! Never one to shy away from learning, James enthusiastically signed up for French lessons, with respectable results to boot. James and Nicole settled into a quaint apartment, enjoyed getting to know the other players and their families, found time for winter golf, and experienced steady fan and Habs team support.

Finding his way around the Montreal ice was not an issue. He fit right in and made his presence known, racking up slapshots from the blueline and impressive defenseman stats all season through. Playing for the Habs produced high quality memories, that he continues to treasure. Through the multiple point games, the memorable puck to the face day, and commendable playoff run, all was eventful and well worth the trip. The get well wishes, and the “hope he signs with us again” sentiments have not gone unnoticed. Fans sure do make a difference and James extends gratitude every chance he gets. As he’s stated before, “This is a pure hockey city. We had a snow storm last night…not one seat was empty,” and that shows the true dedication of the Montreal Canadien fans.

It’s time now for James to take on his latest challenge and as he journeys to the next team, James Wisniewski sends a Montreal Canadiens message, “Thank you, and until we meet again.”

• avatar_58 says:

Still pissed off our GM couldn’t find a way to keep him. If markov goes down again I’m going to be VERY annoyed

• HABSGUARDIANANGEL says:

I agree, I put a lot of thought into why, I think markov is a great player, but he hasnt played hardly any hockey on over 2 seasons!

james ws 5 years younger, and the depth we could of had on this team for defence would be well balanced with markov, wiz, suban providing D, and gill georges and yemelin, for defence.

but the main reason why i dont think they want to commit is because CAREY PRICE and P.K Subban are restricted free agents next seson, something tells me some big contracts will be offered to these guys, they also have lot of young talent coming up, ala weber, tinordi, beaulieu etc,

• Un Canadien errant says:

Did you totally miss the tenor of the post? Why be pissed off at our GM? Mr. Wisniewski is clearly indicating that while he very much enjoyed his time in Montreal, he had every intention of leaving. Not in a slamming the door way, in a “I’ve fulfilled my contract and now I’m free to go whenever I want” kind of way.

You say you’re pissed off Mr. Gauthier couldn’t find a way to keep him. Why blame him? Was he supposed to take James hostage? Put a gun to his head? James is a free agent, he is only staying if he wants to stay. This didn’t hinge on dollars or the length of the deal that Mr Gauthier did or didn’t offer. James and his agent want to go to July 1 and see what they get offered. Simple.

You can second-guess Mr. Gauthier on his Hamrlik decision, where he didn’t offer a longer deal, or his Pouliot decision, or any of those electives we love to go over with a microscope. Those were within his control, have fun going over those calls when you’re having a beer with the boys, but Mr. Winiewski didn’t want to stay, end of story.

———————————

32. TomNickle says:

Well, it’s 8am Pacific Time. Expect the trades to start pouring in today. Gonna be lots of movement.

And no, the Canadiens don’t have any interest in Jagr at all…..

I realize that most of us would love to have Jagr, The Wiz or Brad Richards sign with Montreal tomorrow, but that just isn’t going to happen. Realistically, we need to sign four more players that fit into our budget as well as our line-up (I’m assuming that it’s a given that Gorges will re-sign).

The easy part will be obtaining a back-up goalie. There’s no need to spend more than a mil a year as the player will get less than twenty starts. Auld is fine by me, as are Hedberg, Garon or Boucher. The only guys I don’t want are Lalime or Giguere.

Next up is a depth defenseman who is willing to sign a two-way contract and report to Hamilton at the end of camp. This player will be 8th on the depth chart just ahead of Diaz and Nash. They both can play in Hamilton and get tons of ice time. Their incentive is to be a late season call-up. The new player will be offered around $200,000 to play in the AHL, the same as Henry. He’s guaranteed a decent salary which will also scare off some teams when it comes to him clearing waivers. This sure beats giving up a pick mid way through the year when injuries take their toll. This player can easily be signed in August when the leftover free agents are beginning to fear that their careers are at an end. (BTW, I just noticed that Chicago traded for Montador’s rights. That’s the guy I wish we had instead of Spacek)

We also need a 4th line centre with experience who can win face-offs and play a shutdown role. I’m not sure DD is suited for this position and White might be better off on the RW. The jury is still out on Engqvist who might benefit from another year in Hamilton. It would be great if this new player had some size and spunk but I’m willing to bring back Halpern if need be.

The final piece of the puzzle would be a forward to replace Pouliot (it still might even be Pouliot, but at a discounted rate). We all know the 2nd tier UFAs that are left, as players of true value have already re-signed. We have the coin but all I ask is that we limit the term to one or two years. I can’t think of anyone that I would want to commit to long-term. I’d rather wait until something better comes along further down the road. You don’t have to buy just because there’s something on the shelf. Especially seeing that you have to pay more than the retail cost. It’s kind of like people who get into bidding wars on homes and land up spending more than the asking price. They forget the golden rule that there will always been another home on another day that you will like and can purchase for a reasonable price.

1. http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2010/06/01/2011-unrestricted-nhl-free-agents/#

34. Marcusman says:

Do we need to sign a back up goalie?

here’s Curtis Sanford NHL stats:
    NHL totals 108 37w 37 2.76 .901

or do we keep Auld …….I hope they don’t spend 3 million on Giguere…..

35. nunacanadien says:

Isn’t is sad that the people we let go no one is snatching up or it doesn’t even make the news? That tells you the quality of signings.

Another year of watching the Molsons get rich by signing lacklustre players knowing they will again sell out the Bell Centre regardless of how incompetent the GM is.

36. petefleet says:

IMO we have same Habs as last year and the same problem….no big, strong, scoring centreman. Unless PG has a rabbit in his hat, this could be a long season. I expect Price to be good this year, but he will struggle to put up numbers like he did last season. The D is solid but will not generate the kind offense that a dominant forward line could. Gomer is a waste of time and energy and that will be evident very shortly in the new season.
    I’ll watch every game and cheer every goal, but it is going to be painful if the young guys don’t progress at the pace PK did last year.
    Just sayin’.

***Habs Forever***

• TomNickle says:

What would make you think Price won’t have as good of a year? Anything logical?

If anything, he’ll be better. With Markov and Gorges back for a full season, another year of improvement from Subban the teams’ defense looks much better than it did last season, not worse.

Hopefully a Vezina nomination snubbing will light the fire even more.

• petefleet says:

I didn’t say Price wouldn’t have a good year. I said he will struggle to repeat what he did last year because he was so dominant. Do you have any logical reason to think he’ll be better? Take your keyboard off of ATTACK and read the post. I didn’t say the team’s defence would be worse either.
        I want Gomer gone and big, useful centre to take his place; that would make an incredible difference in how this team finishes 2011-12.

***Habs Forever***

• TomNickle says:

I never said that you said he would have a bad year. I asked you what made you think he wouldn’t have as good of a year as last year.

I gave you a reason why I think he’ll be better. Markov, Gorges and more improvement in Subban. Take your keyboard off defend and read my post.

I read yours, responded appropriately, and it seems you didn’t comprehend mine.

There was no attack in asking what made you think Price couldn’t improve or duplicate last season. It was a question that I asked due to your opinion that wasn’t supported with any reason. That’s all.

• SmartDog says:

Amen to that.
      With a healthy Markov (hopefully) and Patches, the Habs have a stronger PP and are stronger 5-on-5. But what Patches showed last year is how a big forward can add an important extra dimension to the Habs game. I don’t think he can do it all himself and that big center or another big winger would surely help with the physical fight to gain the zone.

We may also miss Pouliot this year, more than expected. He took nights off but when he was on he was a threat, he could pounce on loose pucks, he hit, he used his size to guard the puck, and generally was the kind of threat you are lucky to have on your 3rd line.

And Gomez. Pffffttt…. I can picture him selling peanuts in the stands easier than I can picture him scoring a goal. After telling us over and over last year that he would be better, he played the same game, bad passes, lazy back-checking. The guy couldn’t pick up his game if it had a handle. I pray Gauthier finds a sucker… I mean a suitor for him.

IF and I repeat IF, we land Jagr, our 3rd line is AK, Eller, Darche. I am pretty happy with that 3rd line.

As everyone knows, Gomez having a better year is key. Most don’t believe possible, but he will be here, so lets hope that the brief time we saw Gomez/Gionta/MaxPac together, only gets better.

37. Marc10 says:

Great list of UFAs from the guys at CKAC.

Ward and Rupp… That would do the trick.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

• Hobie Hansen says:

My wish list. The rational is that they’re spend half the money on a top 9 forward and spend the rest on a 4th line player and a 6th defenseman.

1)Cole/Upshall/Leino/Bergenheim – Top 9 forward
      2)Konopka/Tailbot/Belanger – 4th Center
      3) O’Brien, Montador – 5th or 6th defenseman

38. Yvan12 says:

Hey Gauthier, sign White, go get Carcillo & Konopka, that woukld be a true 4th line

• savethepuck says:

I don’t want to see Carcillo in a Habs uni. We get rid of problems, we don’t take other teams problems.

“That beautiful bastard scored semi-conscious.” On the Rocket’s Game 7 game winning goal against the Bruin’s April, 1952

• JayBee says:

Carcillo? Are you mad? No frigging way. His antics are a disgrace to the sport.

I really hope they go after Rupp. Imagine a line of Rupp, Moen and White? OMG…”it” just moved.

39. JayBee says:

Talbot on French radio talking about free agency. Says he likes the Habs and would play here… Which is great, but I think he may want too much money. Would love to have him here, though.

FYI on the The Hoff and The Wiz
    Since 2005-6
    Erhoff – 459 Games Played, 52 Goals, 162 Assists, 214Total, +70
    The Wiz – 329 Games Played, 27 Goals, 121 Assists, 148Total, +5

.466 pts per game for the The Hoff .449 per game for the Wiz

The Hoff has been consistent, with little to no injuries of significance, probably a better defensive zone player

The Wiz brings more physical play to the game, probably a little less defensive zone awareness, and the injury factor.

Really just a matter of what a team is looking for. Both very good defencemen, just not elite.

41. ed lopaz says:

I know this is not such a big deal, but I just feel like something should be said, so I’ll do it.

The Wiz is gone. I understand why Gauthier did not sign him, and I’m fine with it.

We have Markov and Subban and Weber and that should be enough.

But yesterday Hickey took a shot at The Wiz, calling him a “one trick pony” and today he continued by saying that “there’s a reason he will be playing for his 5th team”.

I don’t get it.

The Wiz has worked hard through some serious injuries to get to where he is now.

He played for Chicago and Anaheim – 3 healthy seasons and 2 injured.

Thats 2 teams.

The Islanders picked him up and then traded him to the Habs because they knew he would be a UFA and they wanted to get some value back from him before it was too late.

1/2 season with Islanders. Thats 3 teams.

1/2 season with Habs – Habs go in a different direction. 4 teams.

The Wiz played terrific hockey for us – he was a KEY reason why our team competed hard right to the end.

The Wiz is a talented offensive d-man, mobile, and has an excellent shot.

He can play 5 on 5 minutes, he is tough as nails, and plays with a lot of grit.

There are about (reported) 20 teams interested in his services.

Maybe Hickey should show a little class and stop taking pot shots at The Wiz??

Like I said, its not a big deal, because The Wiz is gone.

It just bothered me.

• TomNickle says:

I could say the same about Arpon Basu who never turns down an opportunity to take false shots at Gomez.

It’s the nature of the beast. If you aren’t adored by the fan base, the media will turn on you to gain favour with the crowd.

Carey Price could vouch for that, though he wont because he has too much class.

• Bugs says:

“Carey Price has too much class”???
        Whaa-aat? How come? Why? Because of a few tv clips you saw and, deciding to disregard those of him slashing an opposing player from the bench or raising his arms to the mock cheers and instead, concentrating on those where he spouts run-of-the-mill clichés praising another player, team or organization, he has “too much class”?
        C’mon, man…

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• TomNickle says:

Yeah, he has too much class. Did he run to his agent and demand a trade through the media when he got benched? Nope. Did he complain? No. What did he do? Well, he worked his ass off and proved every critic wrong. Didn’t gloat, didn’t brag, no I told you so. Nothing.

Was it not classy of him to admit his mistake in acknowledging the crowd in an immature fashion?

• el heffe says:

Wow! let it go buddy! bygones! Carey Price showed nothing but class all season. People make mistakes in their past, haven’t you?

nobody knows the pain of being a Habs fan in a world of Habs fans…

• savethepuck says:

Carey does have a lot of class, Bugs. Anyone in his dressing room say he is humble and has a lot of character. Halpern said before he came here, he thought Carey was a cocky kid too, but getting to know him that’s the farthest from the truth. I would of raised my arms up in disgust if the fans treated me like that too, nothing to do with class. And I find his interviews to be far from cliches. If you want a goalie spouting cliches, listen to Luongo. Every round Van advanced this playoffs, I was upset because it meant I’d have to listen to his interviews for 2 more weeks on TSN.

• Bugs says:

Oh, c’mon. None of you KNOW this guy except for how how much interpretation you apply to his good moments and his bad moments on tv, just like EVERYBODY ELSE in the league.
          So please, spare me your tv-clip “class-determining” psychology-degree expertise on a 22-yr-old hockey player who just happens to be on the team that you love.
          Because it’s as ridiculously biased as it is speculative.
          …too much class… “This guy has class but this guy doesn’t have class! I KNOW! I can TELL! I DECIDE!”
          Please.
          JEAN BÉLIVEAU has “too much class”, ok?
          For all we know, that is…

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• TomNickle says:

Bugs, if he didn’t have class, he wouldn’t have apologized. If he didn’t have class, he would’ve pouted when he got benched, if he didn’t have class, he would’ve responded to Allan Walsh’s trailer trash twitter message.

So yeah, alliteration aside, based on what we see, he has class. What’s wrong with that Bugs?

• HalifaxHabs says:

people grow up Bugs, and it’s pretty obvious to anyone with an open mind that he has changed his approach to the game over the last 2 years. And the results are obvious. And the reviews from the dressing room only serve to back that fact up.

let me guess, you’re still bitter over the Halak deal?

• Bugs says:

Oh, is THAT why he “has class”, Tommy? Because he’s BEHAVED properly since his tantrums?
            Oh. Well, in that case, SEAN AVERY has class too, right?
            “If he didn’t have class he would’ve apologized, if he didn’t have class, he would’ve pouted when he got benched, if he didn’t have class, he would’ve responded to Wisniewski’s obscene gesture.”
            Right? That’s how that works, isn’t it?
            Sean Avery has class. Done and done.
            Interpretation, Tommy. All it is.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• Bugs says:

Yes, Hali.
            Because I’m saying that affirming the Priceberg has “too much class” is ridiculously biased and speculative, that means I’m bitter over the Halak trade.
            Yes. That’s EXACTLY what it means.
            Well done.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• TomNickle says:

Wow Bugs. Comparing Price to Avery. Well done. What’s next? Gonna compare Nelson Mandela to Muammar Gaddafi?

• Bugs says:

Yes, Tommy. That’s what I’m gonna do after drawing a parallel between Carey’s and Sean’s display of class being based solely an interpretation, I’m going to compare Mandela to Ghaddafi.
            Yes. Because that would be the natural progression of my argument, of course. You’ve hit it on the head, sir.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• HardHabits says:

That”s what being a professional means these days. Total homerism coupled with brown nosing and ass kissing.

Maybe Hickey could write an article on how the Habs are a one trick pony and are working on their 20th season of being a middle of the pack team that’s made it past the 2nd round once in that span.

No but that would actually be journalism and he probably would have to resort to investigative journalism after that because all his little Habs perks for towing the party line would be rescinded.

I agree about the Wiz. He should be praised and thanked. Without him the Habs would have missed the play-offs and the Molson’s would have lost a few million dollars in non-shared revenue.

The Wiz should be thankful for the Habs too. His time here upped his value far more than had he stayed an Islander all season.

• TomNickle says:

Good point. I don’t recall any articles going into detail about why Hamrlik was coming to his 5th team with the Habs and heading to his 6th. He must have some problems to have played for 5 teams as a #1 overall pick.

42. Gerry H says:

So, Jagr is now accounted for. He showed up late last night in NYC and had “business” to attend to. Svoboda says he has three offers: Pittsburgh, Detroit and a mystery team (the Habs, according to many).

I think Jagr is a perfect fit for the Habs situation. He’s a big Top 6 winger who’d fit ideally with Plekanec and Cammalleri. It looks as though he can be had for ~$3MM, which leaves anough dough to sign a big, gritty plugger for the bottom six. Most importantly, he’s only looking for a one-year deal, which gives PG room to deal with next year’s hefty raises for PK and Price and gives Eller time to earn his way into the top six.

His downside is obvious, but the risk isn’t that big under the circumstances, given the scarcity if exciting UFA’s and the short-term nature of the deal.

43. Gindan69 says:

I’m not expecting the habs to make any noise on UFA day. They need 2 forwards. Obviously they would love to sign a first line winger. I just don’t see anything on the market worth signing in that respect. However, if anything was glaringly obvious these last years it’s that they need a 4th line that kicks ass. I’ll be satisfied with a Zenon Knopokna type signing to complete a line with White and Moen. That is a thumping line to be feared. After that, if you don’t get a top wing, AK moves back to to the top lines, and Darche/DD move to the 3rd.

44. huge_polar_bear says:

Anyone getting nervous that Gorges has not signed yet? I would have thought this signing would be long done by now. Something does not “smell” right….

45. joeybarrie says:

I asked it before and I will ask it again….
    Exactly HOW is Wiz’s 1 season over 30 points anywhere near Ehrhoff’s 4 seasons above 30 points????
    How do you compare Ehrhoff’s Vastly superior experience to Wiz’s
    Plus how do you compare Wiz’s 5’11 to Ehrhoff’s 6’2?
    I still can’t figure out how the Wiz is so much more coveted when Ehrhoff plays both the PK and PP.
    I like Wiz, and I like his grit, but I just don’t see why we should get so much more or even anything similar to what you get for Ehrhoff…???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• SeriousFan09 says:

Well that and it’s basically a big poster hanging in each GM’s office that Wiz is waiting on July 1 to see all potential offers.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.
      SF09 on Twitter

• joeybarrie says:

And he should. Coming off a GREAT season, he deserves to cash in if he can. I just don’t think he has proved anything compared to Ehrhoff yet…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• TomNickle says:

You could start by saying that Wisniewski had double the amount of hits that Ehrhoff had. Ehrhoff had something like 56 hits all season. Wisniewski had that many in 40 some games with Montreal.

You’re putting Wisniewski down to make Ehrhoff look more valuable Joey.

Ehrhoff is arguably better, but not by the landslide you make it out to be.

• joeybarrie says:

I just don’t see how having only 1 season over 30 points and more hits makes a player more valuable. Again, Ehrhoff plays both the PK and PP (like Pleks and Markov) has more experience, bigger and has been more successful longer…
        More hits to me doesn’t make him more valuable.
        I like Wiz alot, I wish he would stay, but to say he is more coveted than Ehrhoff is crazy to me.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• TomNickle says:

Joey. Had you stopped to consider that in Anaheim and Chicago that Wisniewski really hadn’t been given an opportunity to perform in a top 4 defense role? Chicago was loaded with Keith, Seabrook, Campbell and Barker and he had 41 points in 85 games with Anaheim.

Perhaps some unjustified shots are being taken because he wants a big payday.

• joeybarrie says:

I think he deserves a pay day. Good for him, I hope he gets alot… I just don’t believe he should be considered more valuable than Ehrhoff..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• TomNickle says:

Depends on what you’re looking for Joey.

• shiram says:

Wiz also comes with a injury history, and he has been suspended before.
      And the League uses that to hand out bigger suspension.

• Gerry H says:

I think it was Hickey who nailed it when he said “there has to be a reason why he (Wiz) is moving on to his fifth NHL team.”

• JayBee says:

Because Wiz is younger. He’s gritty and he put up 59 points with a defensively responsible team. He can also fight.

Erhoff, while good is overrated IMO. He’s big but he’s soft. He got exposed in the Finals…and he’s looking for upwards to $6M. He’s also been insulated with one of the best offenses in the league.

• joeybarrie says:

Wiz is 27 and Ehrhoff is 28…
        He did not put up 59 points with a defensively responsible team…
        I don’t disagree completely with the best offenses remark, however, he has put up higher number for many more years…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• JayBee says:

Sorry, 51 points.

He’s also almost 2 years younger than Erhoff…that’s a huge difference.

This is a “what have you done for me lately” league.

In his last 162 games Wiz has 92 points on 3 different teams. That’s an average of just over 45 points a game.

Erhoff while playing on some offensively gifted teams has 94 points in 159 games.

Do I think Erhoff is better? Yes. But I still think they’re in the same category and Wiz brings intangibles that Erhoff doesn’t.

46. habs001 says:

we still need a centre that can win key draws…last two years i read stories where plecks was practising draws but it did not seem to pay off for him..i still would like to see our stats on winning faceoffs at the start of the pp and pk and overall stats on faceoffs in our zone and in the opposition zone….

Desharnais.

• centre hice says:

I agree. We need a centre who is good defensively and who can win face offs. This is so important for defensive zone face offs at important times in the game.
      I think Desharnais should be moved to the wing. He was playing great on the wing in the playoffs in the game he got injured. Ironically though Desharnais was our best face off man.

• habs001 says:

i agree..it seems to me that we lost so many draws in our zone with plecks and gomez….also at the start of the pp we lose the draw many times and the opposition clears the puck

• Mike D says:

Halpern was that center who was good defensively and could win faceoffs. In fact, he was our best faceoff man. He likely won’t be back and he doesn;t fit our need for a bigger/tougher player but he definitely brought the defensive game and faceoff wins. Plus he’s RH which we are/were lacking down the middle.

You’re right about DD playing wing though. I thought he played well there and also was good playing center. Eller on the other hand is definitely not a winger.

- Honestly yours

• blazend says:

Imagine a third line of Deharnais, Eller, and AK….. sick.
          Would create wild mismatches vs any other teams 3rd line.
          To make that happen, we need a winger on the 1st line to play with Pleks and Cammy….. Cole or Leino would be great!

Add Eager to play with White and Moen on the 4th with Darche rotating, and we have ourselves 3 scoring lines and a tough 4th line that can actually play hockey.

• joeybarrie says:

We need to win more draws… Absolutely. However, putting in another center isn’t going to help us with that. We need Gomer and Pleks to be winning more draws. Its that simple. Those are the two centers that will take the most by far. So they need to do better.
      What we need is a gritty big winger who can score. A top 2 forward that can pot 20-25 goals a season. To be honest, something exactly like Jagr… But Cole comes to mind, Maybe even Fleischmann…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

47. centre hice says:

I keep trying to make a projected habs line-up for next season, with the ufa’s I hope they sign (being realistic of course) and the possible line combos, but if somehow someway we actually trade Gomez that changes everything.

It has been reported that the Canadiens have informed Gomez that they are presently trying to trade him, so I assume this to be fact not rumour.

So I ask this, traded or not, can Gomez come back next year? Can a player come back to the team knowing that the team doesn’t want him there anymore?

• SnowManHabs85 says:

They’re called pro athletes for a reason.

“Responding to the media , or playing to the media, or listening to the fans is the quickest way to start losing” – Sam Pollock

• Trisomy 21 says:

Well talk is cheap. Gomez can say he played poorly all he wants. Fact is he played poorly all season and he can’t convince me he wasn’t able to do anything about it until this summer. This guy never does the optional skates and the next game misses a wide open net.

48. Chips says:

I think PG will pick up another D and a big forward; and he may even surprise us how he does it!!!

25 in 2012

49. TomNickle says:

Allegedly, Steve Yzerman has said he’ll match any Steven Stamkos offer sheet. Okay, so let’s see if he’ll sign an offer sheet with us for the maximum allowable salary over nine years. He’s thirty years old when the contract expires and at the very least it would prevent the Lightning from front loading a deal that gives them cap flexibility in the future. Poach our coaches, executives and players? We’ll poach your star. And if you don’t want to match, we’ll gladly give you four picks in the 15-30 range for the next four years.

• mdp2011 says:

I am all for that! Time for us try going “All In”. He is young enough that the risk is greatly reduced. Just can’t see PG ever getting that aggressive. But maybe the Ghost is about to do a shape shift!

• bel33 says:

You had me at Poach… this is a great idea. Even if they do match… force them up the pay scale a bit as a message back for grabbing so much off us in a short time.

• mrhabby says:

yup go for it….but no way it happens. i just can’t see the organization doing this given what i think is a very nice, toe the company line approach and don’t piss off the other GMS because it will come back and bite ya in the arse. there just way to conservative.

don’t get me wrong i would love to see it happen.

• HabsTrueBlue says:

How does it “prevent the Lightning from front loading a deal that gives them cap flexibility in the future.” Stamkos would still be free to sign any offer from the Lightning. Why wouldn’t Stamkos sign a similar but front-loaded offer from the team that drafted him?

• TomNickle says:

The Lightning have to match if Stamkos signs an offer sheet from a rival club. That’s how. And if you sign him to the maximum allowable salary, they can’t play with the numbers to front load the contract.

For example: On a 10 year deal that pays $10 million annually(assuming $10 million annually is the max), they couldn’t pay him $5 million one year and $15 million in another year. They can’t go beyond the max in a given season.

Wife and I are heading out on the water for some Muskie fishing. Hope Gauthier’s fishing is good also. Check back later tonight to see what he caught today.

51. habs001 says:

pk and markov will play the point on the pp…but you still need at least one more player to play point..will it be weber who so far has not looked good anytime he played on the pp or yemelin?..if pk or markov miss games are we back to spacek and gorges on the point?

52. krob1000 says:

Ahhh……June 30th……my favourite hated day. The day that means a holiday and free agent frenzy the follwoing day….but also the day Saku was no longer in the plans and we made the worst trade in recent history. Throwing Mccdonaugh in that deal was just insane.

53. krob1000 says:

I am starting to wonder if I wasn’t so far off yesterday ssuggesting the elak to the Russian paper was a ploy to let approximate offers be known. With Hammer not accepting and Wiz going, Weber signing….maybe the Habs are throwing a very steep one year deal Jagr’s way….or maybe Terry Pegula or someone else is but something had to have happened. Even if the HAbs offered 3 million for one year which is steep relative to the numbers having been thrown aroudn ranging from 1.4 to 2.1….I would do it…it is only for one year and is a bridge move to help now. We would still have room to try and get another guy with top nin abilities able ot move up and down the lineup if need be like a cole or Upshall,etc too if we did that…..3

The Jagr thing is weird…..I think he may actually be headed to Montreal…unless someone like Pegula has thrown some money at him or the KHL threw out an outrageous numbe3r and he was just leveraging the NHL against the KHL…might explain the Russian paper leaks. Who knows but Pittsburgh has to be bitter now, I would not be surprised at all to se e JAgr in Montreal if he plays in the NHL after all of this. The secerecy and unknown factor here also makes me wonder because we all know who the most secretive organization in hockey is.

54. Bugs says:

Would you chuck a 10yr/80mil-dollar offer sheet at Stammy?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• G-Man says:

Nope. 5 at 40? Yes.

• Bugs says:

5 at 40 will be trumped by another club in 6.2 seconds. That’s why it has to be DOUBLE that, to wipe out the competition.
        Hell, 15 at 120; I’m game.
        We gonna do this thing, we go all the way.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• likehoy says:

hells no!
      stamkos in montreal would only put up 30 goals 65-75 points
      there’s no martin st-louis to put it up on a platter for him!

Stamkos is just another Dany Heatley, we’ll realize that in a couple of years.

- Gomez is holding down the “overpaid” button

• Garcia129 says:

Thank you!
        I’ve been saying that for 2 years now. He’s got a great shot, fantastic speed, but needs an all star center to put up 45 – 50 goals. The year he tied for the rocket, he scored around 20 of them from his “spot” at the top of the left circle (something teams have finally figured out), and added another 5 empty netters. That said, he’d still be our best player. But enough of people putting him in the top 5 players in the league.

In Price we Trust

• Bugs says:

Wow.
        Parallel-universe future-reader, are ya?
        That’s amazing.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• mdp2011 says:

Yes in a heartbeat, and I would go even further, 10yr/100mil.

55. JayBee says:

Steve Montador’s rights traded for a 7th round pick
    James Wisniewsky’s rights traded for a 7th round pick
    Christian Erhoff traded twice for a 4th round pick

PG is a superstar

56. Bugs says:

I think it’s sad that folks immediately suspect Jagr of carousing because he’s been unreachable in the last several hours.
    I think that’s really mean of all of you.
    I suspect he’s dead. Only the dead don’t answer cell-phones been ringin for 24hrs straight. Think about it.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

• avatar_58 says:

He’s old. Old people don’t check phones

• Gerry H says:

Pittsburgh Post says he arrived later than expected in NYC and “had to tend to business.” Svoboda is saying that he’ll be in touch with Shero this am, but did not indicate what his response to the offer would be.

• Bugs says:

You’re quoting Svoboda, not giving evidence Jagr is still alive.
        For all we know, Svoboda’s in on it somehow and is covering up the death for a few hours to cash the commission on the contract.

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

57. CanadienBoy says:

Nashville just screw up big time ,may be SK like to play with is brother again.

58. savethepuck says:

An article says we have $50,345,000 committed to 17 players leaving the left over Cap space to sign Gorges, White, a backup goalie, and another forward. Is my math wrong? That makes 21 players and I thought we carried 13 forwards, 7 DMen and 2 goalies, making a total of 22.

59. secretdragonfly says:

Question – should Dawes and Boyd decide to return after playing in the KHL, do the Canadiens still hold their rights or would they become UFA’s?

60. J_P says:

Gauthier would be wise to not completely use up that cap space, and especially not make any long-term commitments. With PK and Carey due for HUGE raises after this season, that $8 million essentially evaporates.

A couple of role players on one or two year deals, but nothing more. Unless, of course, he unloads gomez.

• BeeGee says:

Spacek and his nearly 4M is off the books next year and Gomez should be more tradable by the deadline. I’m not too worried about that personally.

• J_P says:

Two very good points. We also can’t forget that after next season Paccioretty will be up for renewal. If he strings together two really good seasons, that will cost us big money also.

I think the key to the cap is you really have to look a few years ahead and make projections for players that will be up for renewal. Sure $3.8M comes off after this year for spacek, but we could have young players that are suddenly costing us a lot more money.

The key of course is if we can get rid of Gomez’s deal. I dont care if he puts up 65 points this year, I would still want to get rid of that cap hit. If we can rid ourselves of that, than all bets are off, and cap space is definitely not a problem.

• shootdapuck says:

Don’t forget that Spacek’s 3.8 mill will be off the table next season.

… the fans of the Boston Bruins now have lost forever any right to complain that “the league” is out to get their team, and that the Montreal Canadiens have some kind of pull inside the NHL home office.

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• GenerationYHabs says:

With Spacek gone next year though, there will be a nice chunck of cap freed up.

• BeeGee says:

Would be good to leave some wiggle room for the deadline though…

• JayBee says:

HUGE? Settle down.

If PK continues to improve he will make close to $4M
      Price will not get more than 6, $6.5M.

Gill and Spacek come off the books. That’s $7.5M. Andrei K is off the books as well. There will be no issue signing them.

Habs should spend close to the cap every season. Having $4-6M in cap space is not wise.

• J_P says:

Just remember that the 2nd contract has essentially disappeared since the lockout. If Subban puts up 50+ points this year, I dont see how the habs will get away with anything less than $5.5M per season on a long-term deal. Especially considering his age and upside.

$6.5 is extremely high for Carey Price IMO. If we pay him that much i hope the deal isn’t longer than 3 years.

Names I have seen a few people bring up a few time Leino, Upshall and Cole.

Any 1 of these 3 could help us. Would like to see PG try to get 1 of them.

Personally of all the UFA’s out there, I think the highest potential upside is Leino. There is a risk as he will be sought after, but as Tom pointed out the other day, his playoff series against Montreal alone was telling of his abilities.

• J_P says:

I like Leino a lot, but out of those 3, he will definitely be the most expensive. I think Eric Cole would be the best to target because his salary demands will probably be reasonable, and he would be slotted in for 3rd line duty with the ability to step into the top-6 if needed due to injury.

Im not sold enough on Leino to commit to the contract that he will probably ask for.

• TomNickle says:

Cole would immediately be plugged in with either Gomez and Gionta or Plekanec and Cammalleri. No chance he’d be among our bottom six. We’re talking about a guy who has missed out on 6 consecutive 20 goal seasons by only one year because he missed 40 games. He still scored 11 in those 40 games too.

Not to nitpick, but he has only had 4 20 goal seasons in career, had 3 consecutive then 18 then injured for 11 then popped back to 26 for his 4th 20 goal season.

I do like him, can’t quite understand why Carolina isn’t doing what it takes to keep him.

• J_P says:

I like him quite a bit actually, especially because he used to terrorize us. Kind of the same reason that I would love if the habs acquired Umberger.

• Garcia129 says:

Bang on.

In Price we Trust

• MathMan says:

Leino just got a career high (19 goals) by playing with skilled teammates against third-line oppositions and a very lopsided offensive zone faceoff ratio. In other words, he was given every advantadge. Someone is going to overpay him and bitterly overpay him. I hope it won’t be PG.

• TomNickle says:

I like Upshall but think he’s far too much of a wild card on the ice for Gauthier to add him into the mix. He doesn’t play with a lot of control and that could take him out of the Habs sights immediately. The other two are very possible.

• shootdapuck says:

Heaven help the Canadiens if they had a player with just a little reckless abandon!

Ever think that the robotic style is why there is so little offensive flair and creativity or is it simply a lack of talent?

Which brings us back to the point that if this team could score goals 5 on 5 they might not have to play the JM trap night after night hoping that Price can steal a game by pitching a shutout!

****************************************************

Charles P. Pierce – Boston Globe

• BeeGee says:

Or is it that they would score more 5 on 5 if they didn’t play the JM trap…?

• TomNickle says:

I think there’s tons of flair, but no execution. Gomez, Gionta and Pacioretty added a dimension to their offensive capabilities when they began to scored dirty goals with Pacioretty’s ability to control the puck in the offensive zone. Plekanec and Cammalleri lack that ability without a player like Pacioretty. They only score off of the rush or on the powerplay. It’s rare that they score in any other way. They need a similar player who can eliminate the grunt work and allow them time and space to move around in the offensive zone.

Lots of flair, but no goals resulting from it because opposing teams know that it’s all they’ve got.

Our style of play limits alot of players abilities to put up bigger points. I think our skill level is much higher than many give credit for because the stats don’t show the numbers people expect to see. While it would be nice to see us play with more flair per se, it is also what keeps us in games against the best teams in the league.

Hopefully with our Defense foot speed increasing, we should be able to play a faster game with much better defensive zone breakouts having both Markov and Gorges back there.

• G-Man says:

The “offensive flair” and “creativity” are both there. In the playoffs you need to score the dirty goals. The Habs have been excellent in puckmoving and one-timers on the PP. They need to get their noses dirty and crowd the goalie. Perimeter play doesn’t cut it when every team gets serious about defense.

• Garcia129 says:

I’m a fan of all 3 of these players, but up Upshall and Cole seems to be the only ones in our price range. After signing our remaing UFA’s:
      Gorges: approx 2.8
      White: approx 900K
      Auld or other: 1

that’s 4.7 or our 8 mill right there, leaving only 3.3 mill to spend. And that’s if we spend right up to the cap. Seeing as how we seem to have to overpay players here in MTL, I’m not sure we’ll be in the running for Leino. Maybe I’m wrong and he goes for 3.3 or less, but I’d be surprised.

In Price we Trust

• savethepuck says:

Think your math is wrong. The 8 million is what we expect to have left after we sign Gorges, White and a backup. 64.3-50.3=14mill, 6 mill+/_ to Gorges, White, and back up with 8 left

62. TomNickle says:

For everyone gushing over Anthony Stewart. He barely, and I mean by a hair, knocked Nigel Dawes out of the Thrashers lineup this past season.

Not exactly the last piece of the puzzle.

• BeeGee says:

Would add something to the lineup Dawes never could… and he’s 26.
      6-2 235lbs
      Owns a huge frame, which he can use effectively in the corners. Finishes his checks and is tough. Has untapped power forward potential.

• TomNickle says:

And where in the lineup do you put him? With Plekanec and Cammalleri? Not happening.

And be honest, how many Thrashers games did you see this year? 3? 4?

• BeeGee says:

3rd line RW… with Eller and AK?

and not many, indeed…

• TomNickle says:

I’m not trying to fling mud, just trying to make the point that there’s always intrigue in the unknown. Stewart has bounced around from reality tv winner to nhl castoff.

He’s been sub-par his entire career and this season he happened to do fairly well. I would proceed with extreme caution and wouldn’t bump a veteran leader like Moen out of the lineup for him.

• JayBee says:

@Tom

C’mon dude. He had a good year last year. I’ve watched him play and think he can be a solid contributer to the team. I don’t see him as being a top 6 guy, but he could be a solid bottom 6 player. He’s tough, can drop the mits and can score. I don’t see a problem here.

Yea, he doesn’t have great hands and he hasn’t been consistent, but he’s 26. If you want a consistent player, the cost will be much more.

At this point, Habs are going to have to take flyers on less established guys since the Richards and Wisniewsky’s of the world aren’t signing here and we don’t have much bait via trade either.

• BeeGee says:

Ok Tom, makes sense… I can’t say I’ve seen much of him.

Reality tv winner?

• TomNickle says:

@ Jaybee – our bottom six will be among the best in the league with Eller, Kostitsyn and Desharnais in it. Moen and White are tough enough. Nobody even tried to take liberties with the Habs after White’s call up.

@ BeeGee – Anthony Stewart was one of the Making the Cut participants I believe.

• JayBee says:

Best bottom 6 in the league? We have completely different opinions then.

I think the bottom 6 needs more sandpaper…a Rupp or Talbolt centering Moen and White would be great. I’d like Stewart on the 3rd line. DD’s a nifty little player, but he’d be my 13th forward.

• BeeGee says:

Holly crap… making the cut! Ok… i see your point!!

Not sure I agree with you about no one talking liberties after the White call up… He was recalled march 1st… I seam to remember some abuse from then till’ the end of the playoffs…

• TomNickle says:

Check that. He was NOT a Making The Cut participant. And I have no idea why I was under the impression that he was.

Tom, I had brought his name up yesterday, but my point was that he is realistic to acquire, he has size, and has potted more goals last year than Moen and Pyatt combined. That said his role should be on the 3rd or 4th line. I don’t think anyone here is expecting him to be the answer for the top 2 lines.

• TomNickle says:

I understand why he’s wanted or desirable. With Moen, Darche and White and Kostitsyn I would be comfortable with where are wingers in the bottom six sit.

• Ian Cobb says:

Not a chance boys. Stewart is no HAB, believe me!

• G-Man says:

Aw, c’mon! He’s got grit and sand!

• Hobie Hansen says:

I agree with that statement there Tom. I believe he’s a 3rd line player that would actually look good with Eller and Kostitsyn but he’s not going to step in a become the team’s 1st line power forward…

Now that some of our young players are maturing and coming on stream, we are bringing them up at reasonable contract rate. In turn we are slowly getting rid of the older players and their fat contracts, leaving us with lots of cap space.

This puts us in a very envious position to acquire future needs.

This team is already very good when healthy, we are younger and faster. After all we were only knocked off in the 7th game by one goal by the cup champs. We had at the time two blown knees and a broken back to 3 of our best players.

Now if only J. Martin can put everything together this year for us, we will have our parade next spring.

I just wonder on the Kirk Muller effect for this season. Who will be the special teams replacement coach.??

64. TomNickle says:

I think it’s reasonable to assume that Gomez, Gionta and Pacioretty will be playing together again. Also reasonable to assume that Eller will be in between Kostitsyn and Moen because the line worked so well. White and Darche will very likely insulate Desharnais.

So here we are yet again. Needing an impact forward who can make the lives of Plekanec and Cammalleri easier. There aren’t many on the ufa market. They should have speed, jam and a willingness to do the dirty work on the walls, corners and in front of the net but remember they must also be responsible defensively and a good teammate.

Erik Cole is really the only free agent that I think fits this criteria at forward.

On another note. I was happy yesterday when Hamrlik turned the Habs down. And like me, I think most got caught up in his reluctance to sign and assumed Gauthier would go with what he has on defense next season. I don’t think he will. I think he’d like to add another defenseman, how important of a role that defenseman plays is another story.

65. bighabber says:

I’ll be a lot happier when we get Gorges and White signed. What’s the holdup?

An excellent article in the Globe regarding Paul Kariya and his thoughts on NHL Discipline and the effects concussions had on him. Of course his thoughts will have no ramnifications within the Hallowed Halls of Bettman and company.

67. Marc10 says:

Not many decent UFAs out there and a lot of teams with spare cash. Wiz and Erhoff are going to get paid.

I’d love Konopka and Cam Janssen on the 4th line and Jagr on the power play. If not, I’ll settle for Fleischmann and Bergenheim.

“To be irreplaceable, you have to be different”.
    Andy Warhol

Go PK Go!

68. habsfan0 says:

If PG traded Gomez to Florida, Colorado, or Phoenix for draft choices, wouldn’t Gauthier have about $16 million to spend on free agents? Stamkos would look good in a Habs sweater…

• Sharks9 says:

Yes he would but I unfortunately I think there are other places he’d rather go before he comes to Montreal, unless we offered him a ridiculously long and expensive contract, which some team will end up doing.

25 before 14

69. RS says:

This is just the kind of headline to fuel wild and unrealistic speculation. So let the games begin!

The Habs really could use a big forward, I just hope the Habs don’t overpay and add any stupid contracts. And the Habs should save some cap room so they can add someone at the trade deadline.

• BeeGee says:

Looks like you’ll need to overpay, this year more then ever. The quality is low and teams are going to overspend to reach the floor.. I mean look at the Kopecky contract… Only true contenders will get deals IMO.

• JayBee says:

Every UFA gets overpaid…so which do you want? To not get anyone or to overpay?

Can’t get anyone via trade so will have to overpay a UFA

• G-Man says:

I say get Bib the Michelin Man. He’s big- has loads of experience- and Dmen bounce right off him. No grit, but lots of tread.

70. Sharks9 says:

Leino, Jagr, Konopka.

Sign one or more of those guys and I’ll be happy.

25 before 14

71. JayBee says:

So will he go on that vacation or decide to just redo the entire roof and throw the rest of his money into new windows and a french door to the backyard?

The Carribean cruise ended up being a trip to buffalo. :D

72. Haligonian-Hab says:

Leino, Cole, Ward (Affordable) Sign all of them!

73. HalifaxHabs says:

I’d like to grab 2 forwards, 1 from each of these groups, or 2 from group B…

group A: Jagr, Gagne, or Upshall

group B: Rupp, Anthony Stewart, or Ward

• BeeGee says:

Stewart is a good call… would be surprised if they’ll let him walk.

• G-Man says:

If Habs can grab Stewart and Upshall, that would be instant sand and grit and grit and sand. Plan the parade. (No, not the Gay Pride Parade.)

• HalifaxHabs says:

I was undecided on Stewart… and then I read he broke Nathan Horton’s jaw back in junior…

BOOM SIGN HIM UP!!!!

• BeeGee says:

and he can skate?? no brainer!

• G-Man says:

(In keeping with the 70′s Batman tv show) POW! Damn straight!

• arya13 says:

Agreed! I like his style. If we can’t get a Top 6 guys, I’d almost sign him and Talbot and then hopefully we can trade for a top 6 in the season.

• Hobie Hansen says:

I mentioned that the other day (Stewart vs Horton). I went to quite a few Oshawa Generals games back in the day .

Horton and Stewart fought in the OHL playoffs and that’s where Stewart broke Horton’s jaw. That’s a legendary event in Oshawa.

I saw some good players play in that building; Eager, Downie, Carter, Stewart…there were some very rough games for sure!

That’s why I wouldn’t mind seeing Eager on the Habs 4th line either. He was tough as nails and i loved watching him in the OHL. Met him a few times too and he’s a beast.

One can only dream…

74. Marcusman says:

What ever he does, we need scoring…I’d give 3 million of it to Jagr for one year….go as high as 3.5. Then sign Erik Cole for 3 million a yr.

Sign Mara as a decent insurance policy

and BAM plan the parade route!

75. BeeGee says:

My FA wishlist
    F: Cole, Upshall, Leino, Talbot, Rupp, Kennedy, Ward, Konopka
    D: Babchuk, Ericsson, Jovanovski

Would be very happy with Cole, Rupp and Babchuk… One can always dream…

Your picks?

76. Rugger says:

Gomez would have to be moved to bring in a center, and burying him in the AHL is not the Habs way.

77. Newf_Habster says:

Konopka is a must for us. He wins faceoff, play physical and fight. I think he is one of then top ten centers in faceoff percentage.

78. TomNickle says:

The Desharnais signing has me holding a suspicion in the back of my head that they intend to move him. Why go with Eller and Desharnais in your bottom six as centremen?

Desharnais uses space well and I don’t think they’ll be moving him to the wing. Eller wasn’t very good on the wing and was very good at centre. Something doesn’t add up.

79. HalifaxHabs says:

I hope you’re on to something with those suspicions Tom.

80. G-Man says:

Eller’s injury may preclude him from starting the season. DD gets his spot until he is ready to go. May be AK, DD and Darche to start with Darche dropping when Eller gets back. Of course, all this is moot if the Habs do not get that top 6 forward.

81. cboden says:

I think they’re planning for next year. Gomez’s salary will be less than his cap hit making him moveable. As well, his season this year will (has to) be better so he’ll be a decent 2nd line center for a team like Phoenix.

By then our young’ins will have matured and we’ll have Pleks, Eller and DD down the middle. I see JM grooming DD to play like Bolland.

82. Ozmodiar says:

I think they’ll move Gomez next off-season.

Desharnais was signed because he’s cheap, provides depth, and he’s an asset they’ll still hold when they eventually get rid of Gomez.

83. Bugs says:

What if Gomie is moved to Col or Fla like we’ve been hearin?
    Then it all falls into place, no?

Gone figuratively fishin filibusts L. B. Potter, esq.

84. TomNickle says:

That’s what I’m thinking Bugs. The next year stuff doesn’t jive with this turkey.

85. habs001 says:

we will have to wait and see how he plays in north america…

4th best over-all last regular season.

87. Trisomy 21 says:

Yeah, then you went and announced you were taking some cruise. Hey if you don’t want to be remembered for doing such a thing, change your profile or don’t do it.
    I remember though, I’m sure others do too.