Gargoyles have taken over the cathedral

Who thought the Beantown Beat-down would start a trend?

There were 351 minutes in penalties when Pittsburgh visited Long Island last night.

Injuries reshape lineup

Hickey responds to Boston radio cretins

Ex-Habs lament lack of grit

Red’s notebook

Habs built for speed, not pugilism

Roy MacGregor on neanderthals in hockey

And here they are in action (NHL record for PIM in a game remains the 419 of the Ottawa Senators and Philadelphia Flyers on March 5, 2004. The Senators were coached by Jacques Martin.)

1. punkster says:

OK, I take it you must be my age or older then, to be able to call up with certainty all the 70s and 80s elements as proof that that’s the way to do things today. Great. Problem being this is not the 70s, 80s, 90s. This is now. The rules changed, the game changed, the world changed. However you and those calling for blood are stuck in the past, clinging to past glories, because that is all you have. But if you believe that Nilan/Corson/Kordic/Mason/Ulanov/Souray could cut it in “today’s NHL” then I have a whole basement full of rose-coloured glasses that will fit you perfectly. No disrespect for any of those guys because they were Kings (well Nilan anyways) of their times. But that type of player has no place in today’s game.

You’re living in the past H-P.

2. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

the team?

i’m just voiceing my opinion amongst fellow fans, thats all. I enjoy the team and the speed of our play, i enjoyed the 70’s because we had all the elements, and even through the 80’s 90’s we always had a Nilan/COrson/Kordic/Mason/Ulanov/SOuray… guys that command respect… even Larock for all his mistakes did make Lucic look over his shoulder.

in the 70’s no body would dare call us soft, or weak… and we had all the scoring/speed finesse in the world,

but we had POWER to back it up…. this is really 101 stuff, not sure why you keep resisting and not promote.

3. punkster says:

Is that all you got?

Hey, this is your shining hour H-P. If you can’t get the team to listen to you now, after that Bs beat down, then maybe you’re on the wrong track, eh? I mean, this is it baby, your moment in the sun, your Waterloo, so to speak. Shout it from the rooftops my friend. I’m sure they’ll listen.

4. LA Loyalist says:

I think you just made the most perceptive point of the day. Julien is looking at meeting us in the playoffs and mentally pumping up his guys – that whole last minute thing.

And Count Chocula is sitting there pissed that we scored 6 goals, thus using up our quota for the entire month of February.

I’m afraid we’re going to look back on this game and wish we’d had your insight.

5. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

there is one serious flaw in your logic…. the % of U.S. GDP that is “govt” supplied?

please remove the govt portion of GDP from Canada and the U.S. then run the pathetic numbers…

oh and while you’re at it, do the same math with China.

6. joeybarrie says:

Is this the same Ryan OByrne that is a minus 9 in his last 9 games?

AGAIN, people tend to judge too soon a move away from Montreal. He is paired with Liles (or at least had been initially as I haven’t watch many of their games lately) Just like Markov made Komi look awesome, Liles made O’Byrne look great initially. Now that the teams get familiar with him, and his usual tricks come out (ie dumb panalties, as he has 9 penalties in his last 9 games).

As for Henry? Honestly, 10 penalty minutes in 2 games…. The other poster is right, he is a career AhLer and has no great aspect to his game that will help an NHL team. The only thing he has is size, and EVEN BGL GOT A GOAL FOR US….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

7. DearyLeary says:

Fighting doesn’t win you hockey games… for the love of god will people drop that nonsense?  You’re all starting to sound like Don Cherry..

8. DearyLeary says:

He’s 31 ya knucklehead.

No disrespect to Alex, but he’s a career AHLer.  Great mentor for young defencemen, but he can’t skate at an NHL level.  Hard to hit what you can’t catch.

9. habsfansince91 says:

is this a hockey game or a ufc/boxing match. The point of playing hockey is to get the two points every game, not to try to inflict physical and psychological pain on your opponents. The reason the habs lost to the bruins was because they tried to beat boston at their game. If the habs had a fighter in the lineup during that game, I highly doubt the habs would’ve scored more than 6 goals and allow less than 8 goals to get the 2 points, which is the point of playing the game of hockey.

10. oshawahabsfan says:

Considering they blew a 3-0 series lead I’d say they’re weak where it matters most, between the ears. They won because our D and Carey played their worst game of the season on the same night. Any other night Montreal scores four on the powerplay they win. The fights had absolutely nothing to do with the final score

11. joeybarrie says:

Quick question…..

How many games this season have we won with speed?

How many have we lost by fighting?

I, of course, agree that the Habs can use some size and grit. Goes without saying on almost all teams. But you cannot sacrifice what makes this team win. So its not as easy as trading 2 guys away and getting more players like Moen…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

12. jimmy shaker says:

Who’s the one, two or three guys you might want PG to go after come Feb.28th, and what do you think it will cost?

My 3 choices are:

1) Neil: since Fisher went for picks, I think PG can get him for a 3rd rounder and tom pyatt

2) Brewer:  Not sure what it would take for him, I wouldn’t break the bank for him but I think he’s better than the wiz and I’d rather have this guy over Kaberle and Phillips.

3) Kovalev:  ONLY AS A RENTAL:  I know everyone won’t agree with this, but he can be had for a 3rd rounder as well and he would really  be rejuvenated for another run with the habs….and he’ll help the PP as well.

13. habsgod says:

a guy walks into the doctor`s office and  asks the dr. can you get pregnant from anal sex
    the dr. says………. why yes you can son…….. where do you think leafs fans come from! ………….lmao!

GO HABS GO!

14. Mattyleg says:

Holy Fight-Club! That Pens-Isles game was insane. I like the genuine emotion (sadly all-too absent from today’s money-fueled game) and seeing ‘non-fighters’ step up and get involved, but that was going a bit far, even for me. 9 skaters and 7 skaters respectively for each team by the time the buzzer sounded. That’s insane. Also that cro-magnon (I think neanderthals are given a bad name) Isle with the YMCA moustache coming out of the dressing room to taunt an injured Pen was a trifle over the top.

Hickey, great response. Succinct, to the point, and I’d be surprised if they could even try to come back at that (much less read it).

—Hope Springs Eternal—

15. notbigbird says:

From Hickey: “The undergraduate tuition at McGill is $2,068 a year; under-grads at Harvard have to pony up $33,696, which makes me wonder why they call it the land of the free.”

Just change the last word to “fee” and I think you’ve got it.

16. Danno says:

THAT’S why he’s so slippery!

Can you guess where which NHL arena is Zen’s favourite to play in? It’s the Bell.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

17. HabFanSince72 says:

The Habs may lack muscle, and they may lack an enforcer, but they sure as hell don’t lack grit.

18. The Cat says:

The habs have some quality youth with Subban and others, they cant sit and let other teams take runs at them.

19. The Cat says:

It just goes to show that if you repeat something often enough (land of the free), people will believe it…Kinda like when people say the habs are a fast team.