Game Day: Whose home game is this, really?

The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs files two reports in advance of tonight’s Canadiens-Toronto Maple Leafs game in Montreal:

The usual mob of raucous Maple Leafs fans puts this game almost on neutral ice, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing for the Bell Centre-jinxed Canadiens;

Rookie Canadiens winger Sergei Kostitsyn reflects on his first game in the NHL, Thursday against the Flyers in Philadelphia. Not that he’s spoken a lot about it with his older brother, Andrei.

The Toronto Star’s Kevin McGran has this piece today on Canadiens captain Saku Koivu talking about his Leafs counterpart, Mats Sundin. And the Toronto Sun’s Steve Simmons has this story on last night’s 4-0 Leafs win over Atlanta.

1. J.T. says:

Ian:
    Max Pacioretty made it from the Habs prospect list. He’s just a freshman in college, but he’s adapted quickly and he’s scoring at a fair pace. I’m looking forward to seeing him, as his size and style are often compared with Eric Cole’s…if he meets his potential.

According to the NHL Guidebook, The Montreal Canadiens have won the Cup 24 times and the Toronto Lousy Leafs have won it 11 times. The 23 reference comes from the fact that the Canadiens won a Stanley Cup in 1916 before the NHL was formed. The 13 reference comes from the fact that the writer is counting Cups won by Toronto St Pats (1922) and the Toronto Arenas (1918). However, if you want to play that game and count all Cups won with the city name as the only identifying factor then the count stands at Montreal 42 vs Toronto 14 (page 240).
    Here’s another way to look at it. Montreal has won 13 more Cups than Toronto and Toronto hasn’t won a Cup in 40 years. So if Toronto starting winning Cups at a pace of one every three years, it would take them another 40 years to catch us. AND that’s also assuming that we wouldn’t win any Cups in the next forty years. Trust me, Carey Price alone will bring a Cup to Montreal in the next ten years.

The Original 24 Cups

Maybe not, but if someone goes down? Don,t forget he is very young yet.

4. Mattee. says:

Haha, I should be out of out of futureshop by 9 O’clock assuming I can get in there for 7am when the doors open!

5. Mattee. says:

Ian, They’re saying Suban is the number 7 D-man, do you think he’ll get any gametime?

No, it is just some teasing about his terrific wheels. We tell him that he is a forward in cognito just to get him going. He is very fast, so he can always get back on D if he gets caught in deep. Wait untel you see his Souray shot from the point.

Yeats- If you are still on line, I have not heard any names that made the U.S. Nat. JR squad. I know you follow the college ranks state side, who should we be looking for??

Mattee–Your going to be able to see him for yourself at 1:30 boxing day. To make this team at 18 tells a story, hope they use him right! (Spelt Suban)

9. Smart Dog says:

Is there much truth to the fact that he’s more concerned about scoring goals than playing defense? Hockey Prospects says someone either has to reign him in or turn him into a forward.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

10. Mattee. says:

Hey there Ian, I just wanted to say you’ve got me really excited about this P.K. Subbhan kid. Keep bringing us the details on him!

11. Smart Dog says:

We share your opions Ian! We cut them up and hand the pieces around! LOL

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

12. Grabbed The Cup says:

Nice jab Dave, me likey!

Good afternoon hab people, so nice to be able on a cold winter day, to sit back with the fire on and shoot the s— about this great game of ours. There is only one thing I don’t understand about this site. Not everyone shares my opinion about how things are supposed to go down! Funny about that!!!

14. Dave Stubbs says:

In defence of my Toronto Star friend Kevin McGran, mistakes happen. I had Sergei Kostitsyn speaking in heavily accented Russian (should have been English) in this morning’s story, and my butt was saved at 10:50 p.m. last night only by sharp-eyed Gazette sports desker Dave Peters.

Pound out hundreds upon hundreds of words a day, day after day as many hockey writers do, and errors creep into your stories.

There are many, many references on the Internet and in “authoritative” NHL record books to the Canadiens having won 23 or 25 Cups, so maybe Kev was just trying to tip the scales back a bit.

Fact is, Toronto’s NHL entry, the Arenas, St. Pats and the Maple Leafs, have won 13 Stanley Cups. The Leafs have won 11 of those championships – the same number as Henri Richard all by himself.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

15. Smart Dog says:

Huh? Keep our present expectations low? You think that’s what they want?

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

16. Smart Dog says:

Just goes to prove – their journalists are about as good as their hockey players!

Go Habs!

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

17. cutler44 says:

Just a new topic to discuss. Looking at tonights Habs lineup, of the 20 players that will be dressed (assuming Halek will back up Price), 15 will be from the Habs system, I am including Cube. It seemes to me that must be a record

18. Habs-Kat says:

I read that too! I laughed out loud.

19. Steiner says:

I was just about to say the same thing!
    I noticed that right away….
    23-13… please!

20. Habs-Kat says:

As long as we don’t eat them up for having a disappointing season or for going through slumps, then they’ll be fine. We, as fans, also play a big role in the development of our young stars. Its fine and dandy to be excited about the future of the team but until the future arrives, we have to keep our present expectations low.

21. the_larry says:

Yeah of course the Toronto Star would credit us for only 23 Stanley Cups…bunch of sour, grumpy snobs.

22. FeverBoy says:

Yes, thank jebus we didnt trade for Mcdonald, as good a hockey player as he is.
    The brothers look to be good talent and depth for the future of our club. what do u think, potential 70 point plus players? Time will tell i guess, all i know is that the Koivu & K Bros line looked explosive for the meager two shifts they played together. In my humble opinion, i think the bros should be put on a line together, and maybe koivu will allow them to express there creativity better while still keeping koivus more solid d play. No worries about the leafs tonight. Itll be a tough game as always, but well steal the win, and give the leafs a taste of our youth movement…. good things to come….. go habs

23. Smart Dog says:

My prediction: tonight’s game will go as Price goes. Our team has the will to win back and they have the firepower up front to find their way through the slow Leaf D. If Price can stone Sundin and co. through half the game, the team will pick up energy and find the holes.

Let’s say 4-1 Habs.

On y va!

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

24. RudeMood19 says:

I want to say they’ll spank the Leafs but usually they either win a very tight game (which it should never be) or lose. I hope they win tonight. We will if we do one thing that we never do when we play the Leafs: SKATE! When we skate well against the Leafs we burn them.

25. Cdnman1 says:

I predict that the Habs will put a spanking on the Leafs. We are due for a good home effort. At home against the Leafs we usually get fair officiating. The Leafs are feeling like world beaters and it’s time they return to their usual form.

Toronto Montreal games have a way of changing trends. I think the Canadiens are going to get back to their winning ways and the Leafs are going to start to implode again. These teams have been playing too many one goal games and it’s time for that trend to end.

Remember where you heard it.

Number 25 in 2008

26. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

I was thinking if perhaps Huet’s injury on Dec. 1 caused the team to play less aggressively, espescially on offense? I think back to those games, aside from Philly, that we were really never competing and was wondering if Carbo’s game plan was to protect Carey in the net. Almost overkilling the defensive game Guy wants us to play?

I think he realized this after the Tampa game when we scored late in the third period. The goal triggered a great deal of determibation, confidence, and determination in scoring. Which then in turn carried over until Philly. Will it carry over into tonight’s game. I think we win tonight….AND BY MORE THAN 1 GOAL!!!

27. Habs-Kat says:

I don’t think they want to get boo’d out of town if they finish with only ten goals on the season.

28. OldGrover says:

The issue is NEXT year not this year (this year they are cool, but there are really complicated rules for the following year) and MacDonald had a year remaining while Weight’s contract expired at the end of this year.

Thus, they save 2.5 million in cap space for next year. They needed to free up 800k in cap space next year, thus Neidermeyer is free to return next game.

29. OldGrover says:

30. Smart Dog says:

It’s not about this year’s cap – it’s about next years. Weight is in the last year of his deal.
    ________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

31. coutNY says:

Makes sense… but there Cap is sitting at $46 million without Neids this year?? Does his reduced salary fit with his shortened year?

32. Smart Dog says:

That’s a factor as well. Some people even think that this was the plan all along between SN and Burke.
    ________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

33. Smart Dog says:

Interesting article about Sergei Kostitsyn’s first game in the NHL. He says “I’ll save nothing” (meaning puck or stick) “…I haven’t scored my first NHL goal yet”. He and his brother said they didn’t talk about the game. Strange – but whatever works. I always thought K1 had great potential – together I bet these kids can be dynamite… something unique about them. Koivu seems to agree when talking about K2… “We all know he’s a player with good vision and he sees the ice differently than a lot of players.” Pretty high praise.
    Hope K2 gets that first goal against the Laffs! That would be sweet!

Kudos on Gainey for NOT trading to Anaheim for McDonald. Hope he’s waiting for the right trade… McDonald is not big enough for what we need and is in a slump year. We’ve got enough of that.

_________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Price, Higgins, Komisaurus, Plekanec, O’Byrne, K1 &K2.

34. coutNY says:

Whats with the McD for Weight trade… almost even cap hit, so how does this free space for a Neids return?

35. coutNY says:

BTW Smart dog like the “Dog with glasses” as appoised to the “experiment gone bad dog” piture… the morphed picture was kind of creepy…

36. WindsorHab-10 says:

What do any of the above posts have to do with this topic?

37. Smart Dog says:

Let’s see – the article has about 60 words. And 13 of them say this:
    “Rookie Canadiens winger Sergei Kostitsyn reflects on his first game in the NHL”…

Wake up sleepy-head.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

38. nightmare_49 says:

Somebody is cranky this morning.

39. habsguy says:

cournoyer12 …Lets see if we can keep things here in the chat room..PLEASE don’t send me any more name calling emails…

40. Smart Dog says:

Should be a barn-burner! Both teams have something to prove – the Laffs that they can beat us, and us that we’re back in action (and that we OWN THE LAFFS THIS YEAR!!).

Toskala hasn’t let in more than 2 goals in 7 games. If the team plays well, we’ll break that streak tonight.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price

41. Moey says:

I thought you weren’t going to use this pic, what’s the deal?

42. J.T. says:

I wonder if Carbo’s already picked out his three shootout candidates for tonight?

43. Yeats says:

I’d put Komisarek on the line before I’d pick Koivu or Higgins.

44. Habs-Fan-In-KY says:

It would appear to me that Latendresse and A. Kost are good to go for tonight. Otherwise Hamilton would have sent up somebody to fill in by now. Let’s hope for a victory. On paper we should lose this game, but on paper, we should have won the Tampa game? That’s why they play the games!

45. TommyB says:

Let’s hope you are right, that if the two of them do play tonight it’s beacause they are fit to play. I’d be happy to see them both play tonight, I just don’t want to hear, tomorrow, should we lose: “we played a good game, but we did have a couple of guys who were not 100%, yada, yada, yada”.

46. WindsorHab-10 says:

We need to put a stop to our home losing streak. No reason not to be pumped for tonight’s game.
    ——————–

47. Moey says:

Crap Tommy, I’m with you, but as for the yada yada crowd, it’s like death and taxes.

There were complaints all summer long about no great UFA acquisition, followed by hysteria over the Breezer being signed, on to hand wringing about Carbo’s line picks before they even played their first game. Then complaints about the lines when they were winning, when they were losing, and of course the inevitable firing of Carbo….banishing of Breezer….sorry mate, there’s no end in sight. I’ll bet my last paycheck that even if we won the cup, they’d whine about who skated with the cup first and so on.

48. Yeats says:

The debate about the Conn Smythe winner would just throw me off a cliff!

49. Moey says:

It doesn’t bear thinking about, I’d rather stick pins in my eyes!

50. Smart Dog says:

Which pic? Do you see the dog with glasses (you should)? Sometimes an old one can be stored in your computer’s cache.

________________________________________________________________
    Be happy! At least the FUTURE looks bright!
    Plekanec, Higgins, Komi, Chips, Lapierre, O’Byrne, K1 &K2, Price