Game-day skate

• Canadiens slide to 15th in SI Power Rankings

• Michael Farber on the Kovy II mess

Kovy I scores! Twice!!

Blown call boost Leafs. Colton Orr takes out the goaltender

R2u7Gl7Ml9M

1. matraque says:

He will be tried before Lapierre… I’m sure.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

2. avatar_58 says:

I like white but seriously? No, we need a top liner – even if it means trading. Put Eller there for 2-3 games and let’s see what happens.

3. davecessna says:

Cool reffing, bro. Jesus H Christ, who teaches these refs where to look during specific zone plays? The refs in McGill intramural sports are better than this. Grats Leafs on slowing your descent to another last place finish in which you traded the 1st pick away.

4. avatar_58 says:

Guarunteed Picard sits before anyone else. Subban would even sit before Spacek. You need to remember our coach doesn’t believe in sitting vets.

5. habaddict_andy says:

With Markov on it’s way back, Spacek’s spot in the line up may be at risk.  Although I have seen good things with Spacek especially during playoffs, this season has been a little tough for him.  Maybe if we sit him a game or two, he will come back on fire.

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

6. nick says:

I just dropped Gomez in my hockey pool for Steve Ott… Talk about sad…

7. matraque says:

Lapierre is the last guy that will get an audition on the G&G line… too bad.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

8. Mattyleg says:

I agree with you that they need an energy player, but the problem with that is what happened last game:

Gomez didn’t pass to him.

Put Gomer on the 3rd line.

That’ll shake things up.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

9. Matt_in_TO says:

You gotta know it’s bad when even Greg Millen is saying it shouldn’t have counted.

- In Price We Trust

10. habaddict_andy says:

I thought White played during pre season and I thought he had a chance in the roster.  I also think the canadiens management might be just as excited about this guy and want him to stick with AHL a little longer to get bigger and become a griddy player in the near future.  Unless they call him up when they need a player.

11. Mattyleg says:

I think the Hal Gill mark on the Habs report card is harsh.

He is a player who does better in the late season and playoffs (as Joel Bouchard said: “There’s hunting season, there’s fishing season, and there’s Hal Gill season.”), but he’s been great on the PK and I don’t think he’s been doing that badly. Plus/Minus ratings are often misleading.

I just get a bit tight-cheeked when he pinches…

—Hope Springs Eternal—

12. pic1983 says:

How is an AHL player going to get two star forwards, with a combined $13 million dollar salary, going?

JM has to stop giving them excuses and stop with the revolving door on their wing.  Put BP there, leave him there, call out your captain and $8 million center, and put the onus on them to play better.  I think that if you leave them with consistency on their wing, they will find their way and sort things out.  My problem with Gomez right now is he’s invisible.  I dont see the fire in his eyes, and the desire to perform.

13. Mattyleg says:

Well considered post, JF.

I’m on board with you for this one.

Look at Washington – no goaltending, minimal defense. Look at the Thrashers a few seasons ago: same deal (albeit less effective).

JM wasn’t going to turn a team around last year from players who had all been shipped in on the same boat. It took time, and yes, we’re seeing the fruits of his labours now.

Good stuff.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

14. habaddict_andy says:

Absolutely right about Jacques being patient last year.  I bet he wanted to say his defense failed him again.  But I disagree when you say he knew he would not get much results.  He knew he had talented players in hand.  Through out the season last year the team was new and still was trying to find itself.

15. habs11s says:

Although it is very unlikely, I would like to see White play on the G and G line.  I think his speed and energy can get these guys going.  Plus his hard working nature could lead to more scoring chances for Gionta and Gomez.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

16. MikeMcLaren says:

Wait… did Google Translate steer me wrong here or did I just read Guy Carbonneau lecturing another coach on line combinations and being patient with them?

*boggle*

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

17. TommyB says:

Excellent post!  So true about defence winning championships.  It’s good to read something that looks at the entire picture.  However, I expect you will be hearing from the anti-establishment fans regarding your comments.

18. JF says:

Jacques Martin is a patient man.  Thinking back to last year, I marvel at the number of times, after a one-goal loss usually resulting from our defence breaking down in spectacular fashion, he would meet the media with an expressionless face and bland remarks about the need to improve “certaines choses,” although he must often have been ready to pull out his hair in frustration.  He kept plugging away at teaching his defensive system, realizing it would take time and probably not expecting much in the way of results last season.  Now, thanks in part to those boring, dump-and-chase games in which fans deplored the team’s passivity and caricatured JM’s “system,” we are beginning to see the results of the coach’s patience.  Many people wrote off the Habs’ Cinderella playoff run as the result of luck and Halakian heroics, but there are encouraging signs that was not the case.  Shots and scoring chances against are down from last year, our defence looks very solid, and our penalty kill is currently ranked first in the NHL.  It’s beginning to seem that the defence-minded coach knew what he was doing when he concentrated more on building a strong defence than on creating offence.  The offence is now starting to come; the team is creating more and better scoring chances than last year, and, if we can get our powerplay and second line rolling, we should no longer be scoring at a rate that would put us near the bottom of the League.

It’s often said that offence wins hockey games but defence wins championships.  Teams which score a ton of goals but have questionable defence and goaltending usually do very well in the regular season but fall prey in the playoffs to any team which plays well defensively and provides blanket coverage of their opponent’s top scorers.  We saw it last year with Washington and Pittsburgh; the Habs relied on stellar goaltending, rock-solid defence, and smothering the Caps’ and Pens’ top guns.  I think the system Jacques Martin has implanted will serve us well during the regular season and really come into its own in the playoffs.

19. HFX-HabFan says:

Since we’re up against the Isles tonight, here is a roster you may find interesting- it’s comprised of NHLers who made their league debut in an Islanders uniform.  Consider:

Niederreiter-Tavares-Okposo

Bertuzzi-Connolly-Hunter

Torres-Bailey-Comeau

Tay Pyatt-Nielsen-Godard

Bergenheim

Chara-McCabe

Brewer-Martinek

Campoli-Strudwick

Hillen

Luongo

DiPietro

Total cost: $54.51mil, or $4.8mil under the cap.  Having Luongo in nets and Chara, McCabe and Brewer on the backline certainly wouldn’t hurt today’s version of the Isles.  And yet somehow CBC, NBC, and NESN all see Mike Milbury as an “expert” analyst.

20. forskis says:

The annoying thing about that non-call on the Leafs goal is that the hardcore Leafs fans are saying that it is a make up call for disallowing a Versteeg goal from last week when he played the puck with a high-stick before scoring…last time I checked, you are not allowed to play the puck after touching the puck with a high-stick.

With that said…the refs are inconsistent with the goalie interference calls so I am not surprised that this goal stood.

“I am guilty of using elipses…”

21. Hobie Hansen says:

Dear Pierre Gauthier,

I know you read HIO every day so I’d like to make a serious request. Our Habs have been the smallest and wimpiest team in the NHL for quite sometime now. I don’t want a goon to play on the forth line cuz I’m not really one who enjoys staged fighting. All I really want for Christmas is a guy with some size that can score, hit and drop the gloves to play on the line with Gomez and Gionta. I know in the salary cap era it’s tough to pull off a big trade but with all those brains in your head I’m sure you can figure something out? Here’s a list of wingers that would really make me happy:

Perry, Rayn, Horton, Lucic, Wheeler, Stafford, Bourque, Iginla, C. Stewart, Nash, Morrow, Benn, J. Neal, Booth, D. Brown, Clarkson, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hartnell, Doan, Clowe, Perron, Backes, Malone, Downie, Kesler.

Pretty Please????

Hobie Hansen

22. habs11s says:

I think we should trade for Colton Orr and put him on the G & G line.  That should get the boys scoring

23. Nilan4Pres says:

It’s a point system for deciding who makes the playoffs.  Whichever teams are in the top 8 in points in there conference (settling ties with the tie breakers in place) deserve to be in the playoffs, they have earned it. It’s that simple. Also, 1 point can be the difference bettween home ice advantage for teams sitting in the 4th-5th spots. At the end of the year one point can make a huge difference.

24. scott9002ca says:

agreed it would seem admirable to admit a mistake, but league rules don’t allow refs to make public statements. Refs come out to coaches and captains and admit calls may have been missed sometimes, but maybe not in the nhl cuz that player would relay it to the media.

And the argument that points are too precious in the nhl… thats bogus. If your team misses or makes the playoffs by a point, your team doesn’t deserve to be in the playoffs (yes I’m saying Montreal was lucky last year to scrape by). A point lost now by a bad call and a point gained then by a bad call is just how it is. Hockey is one of the most human games where a goals are decided by a puck crossing over a blurry line (and even though they have a camera it never seems to be at a good angle)

Point is, it was a brutal non call but it happens. The refferee probably wasn’t bribed like most think he was, and he probably didn’t have any prejudice either, and rest assured he’s kept accountable with a fine (hell I get fined when misinterpret calls, and the highest levels I ref are peewee AA and Midget A). But don’t expect to hear about the fine.

25. 134 says:

Where’s Stéphane Auger when you need him??

26. K-hab25 says:

He is an evil white european boy.

27. pic1983 says:

No you’re right, but that one was particularly brutal.  Theres no way he could have “missed that” and if he did “miss” it, than he needs his eyes checked.  How TWO referees “miss” it is even more brutal.

Maybe if a ref were to get called out every time they “missed” (AKA looked the other way) they would stop missing calls.

Its like that baseball umpire who blew the call costing a perfect game.  Sure he blew a young pitchers perfect game, and sure it was a blatant missed call.  At least he had the stones to come out to the media and remorecefully say “I blew it”.  I respect a man a lot more when they can at least come out and say “hey, im human, and I made a mistake”.

With points being so precious in the NHL, we cant afford to have referees brutalizing calls as such.  That hurts their credibility more than if they actually came out and said “I am human, and I made a mistake” or were reasonably able to justify why they made that call.  At least we would understand the refs thinking.

28. K-hab25 says:

He’s a right winger, like Gionta. That could be why, but you keep on believing it’s a conspiracy against the french canadian.

29. TomNickle says:

I meant Niederreiter.

Will Cherry go after Nino like he did P.K. if there’s retribution taken against him tonight?

30. Bugs says:

Lars Eller who HASN’T scored, you mean? He should go ahead of a guy who has 3 times his points playing with 4th liners?

…best looking player on the ice consistently…

Ouch. Where did you get THAT?

No, Brownie. Poolio is still ahead of Eller, I’m afraid.

31. SmartDog says:

INCONSTHEIVEABLE!!!!

32. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Cammy’s a good white Ontario boy,  Cherry would never use his Coach’s Corner time to criticize him.

33. CBrady12 says:

Waddya mean….TSN is the home of the habs!!!

34. Chuck says:

I’d dress O’Byrne and tell him to go out and earn another start.

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

35. krob1000 says:

camma-zorro? doesn’t work any better what do you suggest because I thought that stick by cammalleri was awful zorro like.

my name is Iniga Cammontoyaleri you killed my father ..prepare to die….?

36. pic1983 says:

I totally agree that spatch should sit if he doesnt pick up his play by the time Markov gets back.  He’s been absolutely brutal.

Besides, if Kovalchuk can be made a healthy scratch, than anyone can be made a healthy scratch.

37. pic1983 says:

“Then, the 2nd shift JM will put whichever winger will pick up the waterbottle with their left hand.”

hahahah thats good stuff man.  Good laugh.

38. scott9002ca says:

Because its as simple as “I missed it”. What else do you want to hear from the ref? they’re not publically fined or called out because that would be detriment to their credibility, and without credibility how can you ref a game? are you suggesting that everytime a ref misses or makes a bad call we cut them? we’ll be running out pretty quickly (exponentially actually because you’ll be calling up weaker and unprepared refs as a result).

39. pic1983 says:

Gomez just doesnt seem to try or want to adapt to other players.  He stubbornly does what he wants to do game in and game out.  Thats my issue with him.  Honestly, I would have an easier time swallowing pleks getting the $7.3 million and gomez getting plek’s $5 million.

40. pic1983 says:

There actually has to be something going on behind the scenes that the public isnt aware of in terms of compensation for teams.  Either that, or bettman is some kind of master genius manipulator or hypnotist or something.  What goes on in the NHL from a business standpoint just doesnt make sense in any way, shape, or form.

41. Chuck says:

Did I mention that Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks?

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

42. marlboro says:

Smartdog,

I really enjoy reading your posts. I think you’re a very important contributor to H I/O. ‘The 5 questions’ thing you do is also very enjoyable.  I have to say though, most of your posts involve the Salary cap.  Hearing, Gomez this, depression that..Gets old man.  I think many of us would agree the $ amount being paid to Gomez, is off, but it is what it is.  The Argument I’ve heard you make: Gomez’s money is taking away from signing somebody else, is a fair one..But I have a question though.  Since ’93, up until the institution of the cap, how good were the Habs? We could have spent to the Moon, and we sucked for at least a decade.  Maybe the playoffs, one and done.  Suck! So while I get some of your points..I think you should just enjoy whats here right now.  I think our core forwards, who are all signed here for the next 5 years. Gomez, Gio, Cammi, Plecks, are one hell of a core to build around.  I hope you don’t take this the wrong way..I value your opinion.

43. SmartDog says:

Zoro-LARRY?

Man that’s just terrible.

44. TomNickle says:

I would bet that he will.  Funny I never did see anything from Don Cherry criticizing him for skating all over the ice in the pre-season taking shots at the back of guys legs, their ankles and their backs.  Oh, and for trying to blind side somebody.

So if Subban or somebody else in a Habs jersey tonight ends up injuring Niederreiter seriously, will it be a case of him having it coming to him for being so arrogant in the pre-season as a rookie?

45. pic1983 says:

Has the NHL ever actually called out a ref or publically apologized for a brutal call?

I cant really think of any…REfs like Mcgoo always want to be part of the spectacle, so I dont get why the league shelters them from having to justify their actions.  Fans deserve to know what the ref was thinking.

46. krob1000 says:

He is expected to get sent down after tonights game to save his year of eligibility …. so I just hope he doesn’t try something dirty himself.

47. Jbird says:

He played Centre VS PHX.

48. Chuck says:

I get it… it worked on a smaller scale last season with Halak, so now they’re expanding it to encompass the entire team. Shrewd!

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

49. TomNickle says:

I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Max give him a gentle shove or stick in the groin.

50. krob1000 says:

Nino Nedereitter ….. hope you brought your sword tonight!  Zorrolerri is gonna carve you up!

51. habs4real says:

the Orr goal?  shameful! shameful! the league gives penalties on bush league calls yet something as blatant as goalie interference is allowed????

wonder how much the refs got paid by leafs for allowing thay goal.

I think the league needs to address this issue.

52. TomNickle says:

From the NHL rulebook page 51

“Should a linesman witness a foul committed by an attacking player prior to the attacking team scoring a goal, the Linesman shall report what he witnessed to the Referees, the goal shall be disallowed and the appropriate penalty assessed.”

Now, this may only apply to major, misconduct and match penalties but I highly doubt it.

Chuck, you don’t get it. It’s all a party of the great conspiracy game that Habs are running. They (the Habs) are secretly arranging for the media to bash the team and rank them low in order to instil the status of the underdog. It’s a brilliant strategy and a great phychological trick. It will pay off in May when other team’s have been programmed over the course of the year to think of the Habs as a team they can easily beat. That’s when we unleash the MAB.

54. SmartDog says:

Hamburger?

mmmmmm……  :P

55. SmartDog says:

Has Eller been playing center the last couple of games?  (I’ve caught only parts.) Because he’s looked better, at least the parts I’ve seen.  So I think I agree with you here too.

56. TomNickle says:

I disagree about who our best defenseman was with Markov out of the lineup.

I will agree that he played the most minutes though.  I just don’t see a big paycheck and a lot of minutes and interpret that as being the next best thing.

57. TomNickle says:

Paul Kelly, but he’s a reasonable man so it will never happen.

I want to mention the “H” word.

59. FB says:

I would bet this was discussed at lengths with the Ref(s) by a supervisor/office.  Will the ref be suspended most likely not.  But I would bet it is now in their file.

60. kirkiswork says:

When Markov was out last season Hammer was our most solid defenseman. He just played too many minutes over the season.

If managed correctly he will do well.

Eller needs to play center… he looks a lot better in the position. And I know BP only scored one goal, but so did Gomez. My point was that BP is working hard this year and since JM showed so much patience with Gomez and Gionta clearly not working well together, why not extend it and see how the entire line consisting of the same players for more than 1/2 a game will perform. I am not on the BP bandwagon just yet, but at least he’s been physical (more or less)

62. flanman says:

I was referrig to Brodeur and Clemmensen, one of which is a star. Orr didn’t get away with the interferance because he’s a star lol, but got away with it because Clemmensen is net. If orr had done what he did against brodeur or miller a penalty would have been called.

63. soflohabsfan says:

Gotta love TSN they bury the leafs win story from last night but if would have won without that BS non call it would have been top story for a week, or worse yet it it was the other way and that non call was against the leafs TSN top story would be how they are launching a private investigation into the matter.

64. FB says:

A goalie interference penalty is a minor penatly and cannot be called by a linesman (as you mentioned).

But according to the rules http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26320 goalie interference is not something the linesman may report to the referee.

I am not trying to start an argument….you may in fact be correct about the NHL.  However I have refed for over 20 years (NOT THE NHL) and this is not something a linesman can report (Hockey Canada rules not NHL rules).  But from what I have read of the NHL rules this does not appear to be permitted.

65. mike g says:

My dad’s cousin played in the NHL…

He got drafted by the Flyers, played for Carolina and Wilkes-Barrie in the AHL (Pens affiliate).

He now plays in Europe, where he’s making very good money.

And if you read the words he said, they’re all true. Ryan OB hasn’t developed since the Habs drafted him. They wanted a rock solid defenseman, and he can’t even fill that basic role.

Ryan knows he’s not a puck moving defenseman. Ryan knows he’s not a PP qb, and he has no business worrying about getting points. All he knows is that he’s been identified as a solid defensive d-man, like Josh Georges.

And look who has develloped into the better player. The smaller guy with a heart as big as this city, who isn’t affraid to break some teeth.

Ryan doesn’t have the “jam” to fit his role in the NHL. Mike Komisarek, for as terrible as he is defensively and at making passes, identified his role in the NHL as being a rough and tough SOB to play against.

Ryan is bigger than Komi, and knows he has to fill the same role. Problem is, he’s not willing to do it.

Shame….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

66. blu3chip says:

I totally agree that we should put Pouliot with GG for at least 5 games. Now that our Cammy-Plek-AK line is working well, we don’t need to rush it and keep shuffling players.

67. TomNickle says:

I made the comment here before the pre-season even started that I expected White and Pacioretty to give Pyatt a run for his money.

White definitely did.

He’s gonna be a good one……really good.

Maxwell was told by the Habs that he needs to play every shift with confidence to make the NHL.  They know it’s just consistent scoring.  9 points in 6 games with the Bulldogs is a good start.

68. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

Dude just because Puliot scored his first goal in a 100 games doesn’t mean that he should be put back onto that line…if you ask me Lars Eller is one of the best looking playing on the ice consistently and once he gets pet there with Gomez and Gio I see can see sparks flying

69. Jbird says:

It was made before the win on Monday –  . . .and these thigns are stupid.  Those two things helped me understand the Power rankings.

70. SmartDog says:

Good post Timo.  I agree.  And I think the answer is that he has his “pair” but behind that there is the belief that G&G NEED to play together.  That apart they would not work.  Which, if true, means that we have $13 million tied up in two non-marquee guys who need each other to be good but can’t get going.  It’s depressing, and no-one wants to be depressed so don’t think about it.

71. avatar_58 says:

Gretzky? Dryden?

72. Chuck says:

If Kovy II can be benched for a night, then surely Spacek could sit for a night.  :)

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

73. TomNickle says:

O’Byrne doesn’t deserve to play in lieu of anyone else who is currently playing.

That’s the bottom line.

74. Chuck says:

We have a 5-2-1 record and sit near the top of the standings. How can SI rank us 15th in their power rankings. and do it with a straight face?

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

75. habs001 says:

we all love the habs but some posters are so blind to anything negative a hab player does….the nino revisinists are out …the illegal goal orr scored yesterday if it was moen some of the same posters would come up with the most creative reasons why it should count…

76. SmartDog says:

I disagree.  I think people would be saying “man I can’t believe Moen got away with that”.

IT was so clear that he wasn’t pushed, that he dove right into the goalie… people here may be brutally opinionated but they are generally honest about their hockey.

77. TomNickle says:

I don’t care how much I love my team.  There’s no justifying that Orr goal.  I don’t care if it was the Rocket himself.

What are you trying to say about Niederreiter?  Revisinists?

78. habaddict_andy says:

I don’t think a goal like that has a way of explaining why it should count.  But I know many here would simply say “we’ll take it”.

79. mike g says:

I always evaluate the Habs in a non-biased manner….

Orr’s goal has nothing to do with him or whether he plays for the Leafs or the Blue Jackets. That’s just a BS non-call by the ref. That play could have happened in a pre-season game and it still wouldn’t make logical sense.

And about the Cammy-Nino incident, I wanted to see Cammy get 3-4 games. That would have sent a message.

But, I bet you if Nino’s ankle broke or something, 3-4 games would have been given out.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

80. krob1000 says:

nothing cammii did was that drastic..but dramatic? yes…the whole series is what made it dramatic.  He didn’t connect with the face and worse high sticks happen nearly every night…and yes to Hab players too (and Cherry will tell you intentionally)….and many don’t even get a penalty call.  The slash to the back of the legs is another very common incident..that stuff happens all of the time.  The duration of his fit, the optics and the stalking…is what got Cammi suspended….and rightfully so but I truly expected one game (hoping for none and it was a possibility)….not because it was Cammi…but because none of the actual acts were all that bad….the collective was…but that was more optics and someone losing their head…but he still didn’t do anything that vicous by NHL standards…..however if serious injury occurred then I could have seen a harsh suspension and like it or not that is how the NHL works.  A whack to the ankle and an “I could slice and dice you but I didn’t” is not really that bad….and by the way, that blind side of Nino’s was equivalentthe dustin Bropwn one and he got ejected …..again not that I agree with them…but that is the NHL.  I was originally joking with the whole thing but whatever…I really thought he desserved one game but I understand giving him two….but I really thog

81. Blouin says:

My French may be a bit off, but Guy’s article mentioned that the Habs haven’t faced any strong teams this season. I would consider the Pens and even the Islanders (given their early season play) as strong teams we’ve beaten.

—-

sports.unpluckedgems.com – your other source; we always keep it current.

82. K-hab25 says:

We haven’t played the Ilanders yet, but 6 of our 8 games have been against playoff teams. So I call BS on that opinion.

83. pic1983 says:

Carbo also said JM should have patience with his line combo’s…. Carbo was the KING of over changing his line combinations.

84. avatar_58 says:

So when the habs win it’s “meh, not strong teams” but when the leafs do it HOLY SHIT PLAN THE PARADE. Let’s ignore the fact that the leafs faced injury ridden teams (including ours) and struggled against backup goaltenders.

I hate the media….

85. JD_ says:

* This is the kind of back-to-backer, against an ostensibly weak franchise, that begins to colour the Habs’ playoff prospects; i.e., if things are slip slidin’ away by game 70, this will be the first series people will be lookin’ back at if the team doesn’t walk away with at least two points. The Islanders are not a transformed franchise. Moreover, they have key injuries. Whatever their performance eight games into the season, it is not a sample, at least not roughly in the statistical sense. My only hope is that the Habs’ employ the Isles’ early-season success as motivation, thus avoidin’ that dangerous tendency to play down to the level of the competition that we saw on far too many occasions last season.

* Besides, Friday night’s dance at the Nassau Bell Centre Coliseum will be far more entertainin’ if the fans have somethin’ to rub in, you know, so when Doug Weight’s white-knucklin’ his steerin’ wheel on the way home after the game, he wipes away a tear as he mutters, “F*****’ Montreal fan motherf*****s. I hate those a******s.”

* At the end of the day, Poolio’s gonna spend most of the season with GioGom. The way I read it, though, at this early point in the season, JM is still tryin’ to mold the kid’s mindset, to foster a sustainable hunger to play in the top six so that he doesn’t develop a premature sense of entitlement and fall back into bad habits. As everyone knows, Benny was a 4th overall pick who had performance issues in Minnesota. It wasn’t for lack of skill, it was between the ears. Just because he’s come to Montreal doesn’t mean his neurons are all suddenly firin’ in the right direction. We saw him come in strong and then lapse. In the NHL, for the most part, players are built up. There are so few guys who come in NHL-ready, they are the exceptions that prove the rule. Poolio’s played less NHL games than OB. Permanently top-six him when his mindset isn’t top six – forget the skillset, for a moment, cuz that stuff isn’t fleetin’ – and you run the risk of effin’ him up permanently. Slow and steady as she goes. He’ll get there eventually. It doesn’t mean it’ll work, but the other route entails far more risk for the same return on investment. I’ve got no problem with it. Snatchin’ pebbles from my hand ‘n’ all that shiznat.

* This, by the way, is why I like what I’ve seen in Eller. Not only a great skill set, but a brain that looks NHL-ready. Nice find. And the kid’s only played four more NHL games than resident RDS dingbat Dave Morissette ever managed.

* Maybe it’s just me, but the only problem I have with Colton Orr’s goal is that he only partially cleared the crease. I mean, if you’re goin’ to create an open pathway for the puck, why go with half-measures? What a lameass wimp. What really grinds my gears, however, is all the doublespeak spin Mopey Loafs head coach Ron Wilson put on the incident, “Colton took the goalie out, it should have been a penalty, to be honest.” Can you believe this guy? When is he just goin’ to call a spade a spade?

* I went to a Chinese buffet the other night and tore management’s head off cuz there was orange beef among the selections. I don’t care for nor am interested in orange beef. Who the hell do they think they are puttin’ orange beef in the buffet, seein’ as I’m not a fan of orange beef? Yeah, a lot of people in the restaurant are interested in orange beef, and I hear this particular place makes a mean orange beef, but I’m not an orange beef kinda guy. Frankly, if I really wanted orange beef, I’ll go to an orange beef restaurant.

86. Bugs says:

That orange beef analogy better not be about me sayin sumpin about full Predator or leaf articles on HIO…

This buffet specifically caters to rabbit lovers! That’s what it says on the FRONT! NO beef! I don’t care who loves it. It doesn’t say Meatinsideout; it says Rabbitinsideout!

If the analogy ISN’T about me, then nevermind. I have issues and I’ll deal with them myself.

Other than that, yes, what’ve I been sayin? LEAVE Poolio on the 2nd. He’s been the best outta the three so far; why drop HIM? Drop Gomie down a line and put Poolio at centre, how do you like THAT, you circus animals?

87. oshawahabsfan says:

Hopefully Subban flies by Tavares on his way to scoring his first of the season

88. samTHEman says:

After reading Mike and Bugs intimate conversation on that french article and Vinny, I wonder how much drama and controversy ” Plekanec > Lecavalier ” would spark on a show like l’Antichambre….

Would be funny to see lol….if only they took phone-ins…oh man

89. mike g says:

LOL..

And if they can pick which one they’d rather have, we all know which one they’d go with, eh?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

90. habs001 says:

ak46 has scored goals prior…pouliot has had one small streak where he has shown some goal scoring…scoring 3 goals in the last 40 games does not give confidence that he can be a top 6 forward…maybe 3rd or 4th….the nhl is full of forwards who are the same age as pouliot and have scored the same amount of goals and very few if any are considered top 6 material…

91. samTHEman says:

Yeah…and although you can argue that he’s got the Maurice Richard and a Stanley Cup under his belt, and 6 inches taller than Plekanec……but his horrendously long contract of 9 million per and lack of performance the past 2 seasons….i dunno. Pleky is as good offensively if not better right now. Lecavalier, with his size and experience, and wingers like Gagne, Stamkos, St-Louis, one would wonder why he isn’t doing better than Pleky who is playing AK the “enigma” and Cammi.

Lecavalier is one-dimensional where as Pleky is an excellent 2-way forward that EXCELS in all situations.

5 million per vs 9 million per.

You tell me.

92. Bugs says:

The Poolio playing like a deer in headlights end of last season ISN’T the Poolio who’s playing now. This season’s Poolio is leading the team in hits and has the most pts on “that line”. So that saying stuff like “one goal in his last 40 games”, while true, is still a bit misleading because it would have us believe him not capable of scoring another for the NEXT 40 games. Which seems farfetched considering the way he’s playing this year, no?

Everyone’s happy Eller got his first point with us, don’t get me wrong, but there’s NO WAY he’s played better than Poolio to the extent that he’s FORCED JACK MARTY’S HAND to put him on a top line. No way.

It’s not Poolio’s fault Gomie has head up his butt at the moment. It’s not Poolio’s fault that Gio is going through a dry spell at the moment. It’s not Poolio’s fault the PP ain’t working at the moment. HE has delivered for all three.

If we want the guy to hit a homerun, maybe we should give’m a friggin baseball bat, no?

Because Poolio, this year, is friggin dangerous. He’s right there. And he’s a gem. How many takeaways has he registered? How many glorious setups has he engineered? How many opponents has he deked outta their socks? He’s num4 to the Kid Carey’s 5, in case you’ve forgotten. His ceiling is greater than Eller’s. On this, you must all agree. Imo, he must be put in a position to succeed as we put the Kid in a position to succeed.

So LEAVE HIM on the 2nd, cuz it’s just a matter’o’time afore Gomie and Gio get goin and when THAT happens…well, you know where I’m goin with this.

93. mike g says:

I tell you Pleks..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

94. LA Loyalist says:

That said, we need hitting in the offensive zone, which begets chaos, which begets opportunity — like in the old testament, all that begetting.

95. Bugs says:

Better to beget than to bed-wet, I always say.

It’s true; I always say that!

96. mike g says:

OK, you guys all wanna know why I hate the French media?…

Last week driving in my car, I’m listening to them on CKAC. One of the guys was going crazy on Gomez, saying he’s overpaid and just because he makes $8 million per year, we shouldn’t treat him like a superstar. He went on to say that just cuz your the highest paid player on a team, doesn’t make you the star of the team.

Ok, fine I agree.

But then he goes on to blabb, and compares Lecavalier (the french people’s all-time hero/idol/lover/saviour) to Gomez, saying Lecavalier is by far the better player and the Habs would be way better off with Vinny rather than Gomez.

Now today, Bertrand Raymond, yes the guy who’s hairstyle is older than the dinosaurs, starts this whole crap debate again. He wrote a column on RDS, saying in a nice way that Gomez sucks and is way too overpaid (wow, takes a genius to figure out he’s overpaid, eh?). Here’s the quote that pissed me off:

“Ça ressemble à qui un centre d’un tel calibre? On pense à Vincent Lecavalier, à Sidney Crosby et à Evgeni Malkin, notamment. “

He’s saying a #1 center and highest paid player should be a superstar like those players. Now I’m sorry, but Vinny’s no superstar anymore.

Anyways, what is it with the French and their obsession over Vinny. He’s finished and his contract expires in the year 2038. And check out the stats of him and Gomez, and compare.

Gomez averages 0.04 points per game less than Vinny. Gomez has more Cups. And Gomez’s teams make the playoffs every year.

So please, franch media and those who think they don’t just throw Vinny into the debate because he’s Quebecois, please tell me exactly where Lecavalier is so superior over Gomez and still a superstar in this league?

It’s disgusting, they always have to bring the language into their debates. Vinny shouldn’t even be mentionned in the same breath of air as Crosby and Malkin.

Puke.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

97. Danno says:

Colton doesn’t deserve his last name after that stunt.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

98. TomNickle says:

Gomez also doesn’t miss 30 games annually.

The Lightning had to draft Stamkos because of tendency to be um……we’ll call it unlucky, some call it soft.

99. jhaze says:

The worst part of our beautiful game is the refereeing! Whatta joke??!! Can goalie interference be any more apparent?? Even the Leafs coach after the game said that it was blatant goalie interference.

Do refs get benched or fined for having bad games? They should be. Why do the players and coaches get scrutinized for every move they make but when refs make terrible, game changing calls, nothing happens? As a fan, I want a game to be decided by the players and coaching strategies, not by blind refs who can never accept being wrong.

100. St.Leo Habs Fan says:

I don’t really post often on HIO, but i read through the comments a lot. Bugs I find your post are quite entertaining and I have to admit I don’t always agree with your posts, but I have to agree with you here. Give Poolio a chance. Gomer and Gio have been playing together for the better part of 10 years the chemistry is there and there’s no reason to split them (ex: inserting eller at centre). BUT for Pouliot to even have a chance with that duo he MUST play with them, that means playing for a longer stretch (not just 1 or 2 shifts), maybe give him 10-12 games of constantly playing with gio/gomer. Patience goes a long way and I don’t believe going the “carbo route” works (i.e. A revolving door of players on 1 line). We have no other option becasue at this stage in his young career Eller is much better playing centre I think. Give poolio a chance, if it doesnt work then at least you can say you gave the guy a shot. park him in front of the net (he can score garbage goals like he did agains the sens). Pyatt isnt the answer for our 2nd scoring unit…
    We REALLY need this line to work, you can’t expect to have cammy-plecks-ak to score almost 1/2 your goals for the remainder of the season.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Anyone taken as an individual is tolerably sensible and reasonable — as a
    member of a crowd, he at once becomes a blockhead.
    —Friedrich Von Schiller

101. bwoar says:

Completely agreed, and I don’t think Eller has outplayed Pouliot either.  The coach stated that Eller is a player in the development stage in his career, and to me, BP is a notch ahead of him on that curve.  I think Pouliot needs to stay in the game for 60 minutes and not take shifts off, but he’s played okay.

Eller has shown a few brilliant flashes, but he is being made to outplay people for their spot.  So far he’s outplayed Boyd, Darche, Moen and even with Pyatt. (Pouliot is ahead of all of those players.)  He’s been rewarded with a spot at centre, where he is more comfortable, and isn’t far from playing up to Halpern, Lapierre and finally Pouliot.

(Gionta and Gomez get a pass on this.  For now.)

In the meantime Pouliot has to keep working hard and play up to HIS own potential.  See the explosion of Andre K?  That’s what I want to see from Pouliot.

Between Eller and Pouliot I don’t know that one has a higher ceiling than the other, drafts are such a crapshoot.  But for the foreseeable future Eller has moved up as far as he can without beating Pouliot outright for that 2nd line spot.

102. mike g says:

I still think they’d take Vinny playing 10 games per year over a full season of Gomez…

Sad, but I guess it’s their “culture” like they say.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

103. TomNickle says:

Why does Pouliot need to be scoring to have a place on this team?

He’s been one hell of an effective player so far.  I don’t see rational people complaining about Eller.

Markov heals all people.  Watch how balanced our scoring becomes when he gets back into the lineup.

104. rocketsglare says:

Who cares about the types of teams played so far. As long as the Habs are racking up the points

now rather than clawing and scratching for points later in the season. These points will make the

home stretch easier. Talk about over analyzing the team’s record. We should be happy where we

are at in the division and overall standings, considering that the team has only one producing line

so far and an ineffective PP. Things could be worse.

105. Bugs says:

Sounds like a lame-ass reason to hate, Mikey.

A) Vinny WAS the prototypical centre at one point, same as if they woulda mentioned Hasek as the prototypical champion goalie who isn’t one now.

B) they never mentioned french, nor brought up language in the debate; that seems like a convenient fabrication on your part to VEHICULATE your hate.

And C) ONE journalist hardly makes up the “French media”.

So, to recap: generalized hate for a whole section of media stemming from what you misperceived from one guy on a Wednesday morning whose language and culture aren’t your own. Gotcha.

106. Bugs says:

That a Leo agrees with me is certified destiny.

Mwooa-ha!

107. TomNickle says:

I really can’t speak to that but I’ll take Gomez over Vinny right now, and in four years.

And I’ve never in my life seen so much complaining about a 5-2-1 team coming off of an Eastern Conference Finals appearance who is missing their best player.

Never.

108. Bugs says:

I say let’s compare Poolio to the Kid.

Same age. Same draft. Same spot. Both have had “deer in headlight” moments. Both played themselves outta the line-up last year.

The Kid was nurtured and given the tools to succeed this year and finally, it looks like we’re seeing some return.

Let’s do the same for Poolio.

109. TomNickle says:

Then why do they not bring up Brad Richards Bugs?

Why do they not mention Joe Thornton, Langkow, Sedin, Statsny, Connolly, Jordan Staal?

110. mike g says:

First of all Bugs, I’m a Quebecois…

But I’m an Anglophone, and I don’t feel the need to always protect the NHL players born in this province.

2nd of all, Vinny was the prototype for 2 years. After that he fell way off the map, and Hasek was dominant for over a decade. You FAILED mightyly on that comparison.

3rd, they mention french when they simply bring up Vinny. He’s not even close to being in the same category, and why didn’t they mention Getzlaf, Richards, TOEWS, or any of the other DOMINANT centerman?

And finally, I’d be willing to bet my left one that most french journalists think the same way. It’s not the 1st time I’ve heard them rant about Vinny, Vinny, Vinny.

It’s the truth Bugs, stop trying to protect your “culture”. Alot of you guys are extremely biased, and it’s a shame we have to listen to that being constantly repeated on radio shows.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

111. CBrady12 says:

I generally agree that Vinny is the Francophone media golden  boy and i can’t stand Raymond boy you misread the article. You gotta read the whole paragraph to understand whats goin on:

“Ça ressemble à qui un centre d’un tel calibre? On pense à Vincent Lecavalier, à Sidney Crosby et à Evgeni Malkin, notamment. Or, qu’est-ce que ces trois super vedettes ont en commun? Dans toute la ligue, ce sont les seuls joueurs de centre mieux rémunérés que Gomez. Le premier empoche 10 millions $ par saison et les deux autres neuf millions $ chacun. Gomez s’enrichira de 8 millions $ cette saison.”

He brings up Vinny, Crosby and Malkin because they are the only three centers in the league that are paid more than Gomer…He doesnt bring up Vinny because he thinks hes the most dominant player in the NHL…you said you are Quebecois…you should bone up on your french reading comprehension

112. SmartDog says:

Tom Nickle’s calling me out below about “blaming” Gomez for the salary situation he puts us in.

I get his point.  And here’s my answer.  I think it clearly says how I feel and why:

——————————

I blame the management for the stupid deal that brought Gomez here.

I blame Gomez for not coming NEAR his worth, as I would blame any player.
    If Gomez sounded and looked like he gives a crap I would blame him
    less.  But the coach called him out and said he needs to stop playing
    the periphery and what did he do?  Nothing.  Still playing the
    periphery.

Tell me that Gomez is the first guy on the ice and
    the last off.  Tell me that he consistantly is one of our best 2 or 3
    players out there and then I’ll agree that he comes under too much
    fire.  But he’s not, he isn’t, he won’t be the guy to give his BEST
    effort on ANY night, let alone every night.  And to be the highest paid
    Hab in history.  It’s not only a saddle on the team and team morale,
    it’s disgustingly shameful.

——————————

I’m wondering how many people can disagree with this.

113. CBrady12 says:

Because you guys all misread the article…He mentions Vinny, Crosby and Malkin then writes “What do all three have in common? They are the only centers in the NHL who get paid more than Gomez” Actually reading the article before you complain would bring a lot more validity to your arguments

114. Bugs says:

They should mention 20 guys every time they bring up a position?

Just to make SURE no any-reason-is-good french-bashers get their noodles in a knot for what regular folks in the normal world say off-the-cuff across radio-waves?

Please.

But even still, I can answer your specific question: Saying “Joe Thornton”‘ to us frenchies would set us off into gales of giggles. We all saw him FOLD like wet origami with our own eyes in the Kovalev series. It’s BECAUSE the Habs destroyed him that the Bruins TRADED him, you understand what I’m sayin? It’s because of US that they traded him. He would not be a frenchie’s prototypical centre.

Nobody knows who Langkow is. (We know who he is, of course.) He has NEVER had the opportunity to impress us in Mtl and would not even be BROUGHT UP should we be crafting a list.

Sedin is in Vancouver. Why talk about a Swede out west to frenchies concerning prototypical centres when we have a guy who’s won the Maurice Richard and the Stanley Cup and who was born here to talk about? Someone folks can maybe relate to better?

Which Stastny? The retired one or the 12-yr-old in Colorado? If they had mentioned the latter, they woulda AVOIDED Mikey’s hate? Ok.

For Connolly (or whatever), see Langkow.

Yeah, they coulda mentioned Staal. So what if they didn’t? They mentioned Vinny as a prototypical centre instead. So what?

I didn’t hear the show. But I got no problem them mentioning Vinny as a prototypical centre, because he was. He hasn’t been playing like one since the Cooke hit, but he WAS one. Maurice Richard. Stanley Cup.

If they said “Let’s get’m because he’s french.”, that’d be something else, and it isn’t. It’s what Mikey wants to read into it so he can hate. He says he “hates”, you understand?

115. TomNickle says:

Then please do the same with Spacek, Hamrlik, Gionta, Cammalleri, Gill.

Because I can make an easy argument that Spacek is an expensive offensive defenseman who isn’t scoring.

I can make an even better argument in favour of Bergeron at $900 annually instead of Hamrlik at $5.5 million.

I can go further and say that Gomez has played better than Gionta this season and Gionta isn’t justifying his $5 million and I could bring Cammalleri into it and say that he wouldn’t know how to play defensively if Bob Gainey slapped him in the face with all of his knowledge.

Gill is an overpaid shot blocker too.

All of these overpaid bums are making up one hell of a team right now.

116. TomNickle says:

My point here is that if your problem is players not earning their dollars.  There’s a very long list and it stretches very far beyond Gomez sir.

117. mike g says:

I read the article, understood it, and knew that was written….

Here’s the beef of the article:

“Bien sûr, quand on est un centre de carrière, le numéro un de son organisation, c’est toujours souhaitable de pouvoir jouir d’ailiers compatibles avec son style de jeu, mais en revanche, on a aussi la responsabilité de faire bien paraître ses compagnons de trio. On doit les amener à produire. On doit être le pivot de l’attaque massive. Bref, on doit être un joueur d’impact.

What does that say?

That’s right, it says that as a #1 center you gotta make those around you better and produce, you gotta be the main guy on the powerplay, and you have to be an impact player. Vinny is none of those.

He then goes on to list Vinny in a category or “calibre” of players who not only make as much or more money than Gomez, but ALSO do all the things listed in BOLD in my post.

Vinny doesn’t do that, and maybe Raymond should start watching Tampa games. Marty St-louis is the guy who makes other look better and produce. Stamkos is the main guy on the PP. And Stamkos is their impact player.

So you sir, please polish off your french comprehension. Because in that article, Vinny is a #1 center. And he hasn’t been that in Tampa in 2 years

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

118. Bugs says:

You mean folks born of a particular culture are propping up one of their own??? Disgraceful!

Vinny was a prototypical centre. He could be thought up when thinking of prototypical centres. Bottomline.

But hey, if you wanna hate…nothing I say is gonna change that.

To avoid your hate, all french newscasters, journalists and commentators must refrain from mentioning ANY frenchie’s name if another player who ISN’T french might be better than them at the moment. Because if they don’t, that ONE newscaster, journalist and commentator automatically expose an ENTIRE media’s bias to you and you cannot stand bias of that kind. Bias is WRONG.

Isn’t that correct…hater?

(chuckle)

119. TomNickle says:

Vinny is a very big reason in my opinion that Gomez gets so much hate.

The never ending insisting from journalists in general that we would be better of with Lecavalier is nonsense.

Considering contract length, the fact that one of those two plays two ways and not just one and the injury history, Gomez is much better to have on our team in my opinion.

120. TomNickle says:

Mike was referring to a radio show personality first and foremost.

Actually reading the post before you retort would bring a lot more validity to your counter argument.

121. mike g says:

Hey Rabbit, let’s get serious here..

Start watching hockey other than the Habs, ok?

Your lack of knowledge of how good other players around the league are is incredible.

Second, don’t tell me for one second you’ve never heard them say:

” On devrait prendre Lecavalier ici a MTL, PARCE QUE C’EST UN BON QUEBECOIS, et les QUEBECOIS savent c’est quoi jouer pour le CH.”

I’ve heard that said many, many times.

So , I don’t know if your ears were cut off or something, but it’s been said.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

122. Mr.Hazard says:

Yup. That’s like the most clear case of goalie interference I’ve ever seen.

123. samTHEman says:

Gee that’s not biased AT ALL.

Kidding…I tell you Pleks too. His beard > Lecavalier’s beard

124. SeriousFan09 says:

Does the term ‘broken record’ mean anything to you SD? We get it on terms of repetitive complaining about Gomez you are close to ranking with Tony and his split personalities about PG ‘standing pat with his 88-point team’.

Team morale seemed good enough to make the Conference Finals last season as well. Gomez doesn’t walk into the room with the air of his talent and his salary making him better than everyone, he’s widely regarded as solid team man and there are far too many professionals in the room to take issue with his salary. Gomez’s style of play is a perimeter player also, that’s who he is. It’s like complaining Gill doesn’t do enough work in the offensive zone.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

125. mike g says:

Gomez was a prototypical 2-way center in NJ when he was signed to his monster deal…

Bottomline, he was one.

So why don’t the fools understand that when they talk about his contrcat?

But no, instead they always cry that MAB is sitting at home withoiut a contract, and that NHL teams are all dumb for not signing the poor p’ti Quebecois.

Because he’s so good, eh? Yah, I’ll score 15 goals in the NHL and allow 55 against me. That’s why all the teams lined up to sign him, and Theodore, etc…

But yet we have to hear about all this BS on the radio, and how NHL teams are passing up on great talents.

Puh-lezz.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

126. Bugs says:

Bertrand Raymond isn’t “the French media”, Mikey; he’s one guy. You hate an entire media cuz of one guy. That’s not right.

I’m sorry, buddy…you goofed this time.

With the context you gave me intially, he was right to say Vinny was a prototypical centre. This is new context. And in this new context, he is referring to Vinny as an impact centre NOW. And on that score, he’s wrong. Either deluded, or pandering to Vinny-lovers in Ile-Bizard (or wherever), but he’s wrong.

Like a lot of anglo reporters are wrong sometimes in putting down THEIR editorials.

Anglo, frenchie, swahili media, none should be “hated” for what ONE of them says or writes though.

127. HFX-HabFan says:

I feel like I’ve been hearing these sentiments since October 2009.

128. HFX-HabFan says:

Niederreiter-Tavares-Okposo

Bertuzzi-Connolly-Hunter

Torres-Bailey-Comeau

Tay Pyatt-Nielsen-Godard

Bergenheim

Chara-McCabe

Brewer-Martinek

Campoli-Strudwick

Hillen

Luongo

DiPietro

129. SeriousFan09 says:

Bottom line Bugs, Vinny was a prototypical centre is the key term. Alex Kovalev was a magnificent example of one of  the 5 best RWs in the NHL, for the 2000-2001 and 2007-2008 seasons, the rest were somewhat underwhelming considering the talent he displayed. It’s like saying our next scoring winger needs to be like Jonathan Cheechoo, there are much, much better examples to bring out than a guy who looked good for 2 years of his career.

Bert isn’t the first guy to moan for Lecavalier in the media. He won’t be the last either because there’s this continuing illusion that the second a Francophone puts on the CH It makes him a better player. Well we certainly blew that theory out of the water over the decades. There’s an illusion that Lecavalier is what we need. He’s no more physical than Perimeter Jumbo Joe in SJ and shrinks against hard competition and never made much of himself when Martin St. Louis wasn’t his winger.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

130. Bugs says:

I wasn’t talking about my “knowledge” (shaked head); I was talkin about OUR inclination towards the players you named.

As for what you claim to have read and heard many times, you should have no trouble linking it then.

131. Bugs says:

Gomie won the Maurice Richard??? When?

I’m also crying that Bergie is sitting at home. 750k and we’d have 6 more pp goals at the moment. But he’s injured. As I’m sure your “knowledge” (remember? the “knowledge”) confirms. Once he’s cleared, he’ll be signed. 750k? He’ll be signed.

And uhh…Theo was signed too. (the “knowledge”…remember?)

And if that radio upsets you so much, why do you listen to it? Either switch the channel or call’em up and rank’em out. Why cry about all the hate you feel for’em here?

132. db says:

Those 2 refs should lose a games pay for that.  It cost one team at least one point and gave another at most 2…. I cant believe their coaches reaction.  I woulda been yelling and tossing shit lol

At least Wilson admitted it was a blown call…

133. HFX-HabFan says:

Maybe the radio folks should spend more airtime talking about what can be done at the grassroots level in Quebec, because the Q is inferior to both the OHL and WHL in producing NHL-quality talent.

Tell us how you really feel.

Vinny and Gomez can be mentioned in the same breath of air as Crosby and Malkin. Why? Because they all earn comparable salaries.

Saying you are having a hate on for le media is obviously an expression of something deeper. Have a hate on for Bertrand Raymond if you will. He’s a douchebag in print most of the time. But tell me. Do you hate the English Canadian media because of Jack Todd? Or American media because of Rush Limbaugh?

Bugs’ arguments are correct up and down. Just learn from the experience and grow from it.

135. mike g says:

The English media never go on an on about certain players….

Why is it that everyday, I have to hear people saying Max Lapierre should be given a try on the 2nd line?

Really, Max Lapierre?

Or what about when the Habs cut David Desharnais? Everyone was going nuts, saying he’s the next Marty St-Louis….Puh-leez. Watch Marty and then watch David.

Or what about when they NEED a captain to speak french, to the point where the players “volunteer” to take french classes on their own time. Give me a break, volunteer?…Yeah, anyways. Jagr’s taking Russian lessons just cuz he’s playing in Russia, right?…Oh Boy.

What about all these things, huh? Why do they take up the majority of the time on the airwaves of one specific language?

Not to mention the whole grieving process this province went through when we traded Latendresse. The guy got his own special interview show on L’Antichambre. Who is he, Lebron James?

All I’m saying is the majority of them just blow their own horns. Some of the guys like Danny Dube are actually excellent hockey minds that when asked about a given hockey topic, he looks beyond the borders of this province.

It’s sad, and I’m fed up of it. And that’s why many people in this city don’t like the Habs. They grow up hearing about all this nonsense and finally give up, and cheer for a team that cares only about winning, and not having their players speak the city’s language or having to constantly be compared to Vinny.

That’s my problem.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

136. habfan53 says:

If you hate the french media so much why are you listening to CKAC and reading blogs on RDS. If you keep this up you will start read  Rejean Tremblay..

137. Blouin says:

You’re right. My mistake. That was still preseason.

—–

sports.unpluckedgems.com – your other source; we always keep it current.

138. joeybarrie says:

Yes Pouliot has been going through a tough time. It’s not through lack of trying and he looks like he wants to produce. He is playing well, hitting and skating. But it’s simply not working for him. Just like Gionta.

However, I find it interesting that AK was never taken off the top line, and even he didn’t get the hate Pouliot has been getting.

Up until 6 games ago…

Pouliot 15 goals in 41 games.

AK 15 goals in 61 games.

The Gomez, Gionta, Pouliot line has been struggling. Each of them individually. Yet Gomez and Pouliot catch all the crap. Trade Pouliot, Gomez to the 4th and nothing about Captain America. I love Gio, but i also love Pouliot and Gomez. At the very least I would like it if people would look at them without being biased.

Josh Gorges is a minus 1 and Gill a minus 4, yet all I see is people saying Hamrlik is BRUTAL…

All I am saying is we need to look at things as they are. Not based on personal vendettas.

All that being said, how great would a trade for Hamrlik be once Markov got back???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

139. habs001 says:

if you count last years playoffs i believe pouliot has about 3 goals in 40 games

140. SmartDog says:

This barely warrants an answer.  Pouliot has not been on that line for awhile and he makes a quarter or less of what these guys do.  But you want to blame him for THEIR line not performing?  Huh?

141. habfan53 says:

The main reason I have not jumped on Pouliot’s back this year is YOU can see the effort most times. offensively anyways,

142. habs001 says:

the good news is that the team is 5-2-1 with one of the worst pp in the nhl but with one of the best pk…if the pp ties the pk you have a chance in most games…if your pp clicks and your pk is still great than you have much fewer games that come down to the last 10 minutes of the 3rd…we still have 9 forwards on the roster with one or zero goals…price has been very solid also…

143. adamkennelly says:

WHY WAIT?

Its pretty freaking obvious the Habs need a winger to play with Gio and Gomer.  Its not going to happen through osmosis- all of a sudden one of the guys we already have gets it done.  I don’t think so.  You have $13M in CAP tied in those two – now lets maximize our investment and get them a winger.  Do it now.  Why wait?

144. Chuck says:

Do you have any suggestions as to the Habs should go about this?

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

145. scrowe21 says:

Pouliot or Eller would be fine on that line after they play there for a couple games, Gionta is the problem right now I think. That line just needs some damn consistency and time to build chemistry. The little G’s are just having slow starts, Pouliot has been outplaying them both as far as im concerned. Hes not as skilled as they are but hes been trying

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

146. TomNickle says:

Kind of like blaming Gomez for potential cap problems the Habs might have over the next four years.

Interesting you threw your hat into that ring.

147. K-hab25 says:

You know for having smart in your name, sometimes you’re not. He was calling out people who blame only those 2, giving Gionta a free pass.

148. SmartDog says:

Yeah, exactly the same.  NOT.

149. SmartDog says:

It’s called a mistake.  Happens.

And I agree, Gio needs to step it up.

But still, calling that the G-G-Pouliot line is wrong.

150. TomNickle says:

Well, you defended Pouliot for not having any control over what Gomez and Gionta do because he rarely has an effect on what they do.

Yet you consistently blame Gomez for the financial weakness of the Habs organization, which is something that he cannot control.

Definitely a hypocrisy.

151. K-hab25 says:

Didn’t mean to snap at you. You’re a smart dog, well most of the time. :-)

152. SmartDog says:

I blame the management for the deal that brougth Gomez here.

I blame Gomez for not coming NEAR his worth, as I would blame any player.  If Gomez sounded and looked like he gives a crap I would blame him less.  But the coach called him out and said he needs to stop playing the periphery and what did he do?  Nothing.  Still playing the periphery.

Tell me that Gomez is the first guy on the ice and the last off.  Tell me that he consistantly is one of our best 2 or 3 players out there and then I’ll agree that he comes under too much fire.  But he’s not, he isn’t, he won’t be the guy to give his BEST effort on ANY night, let alone every night.  And to be the highest paid Hab in history.  It’s not only a saddle on the team and team morale, it’s disgustingly shameful.

153. HabFanSince72 says:

It’s not always about you.

(But this time it is.)

154. JD_ says:

The analogy’s not about you, it’s about the notion.

Silly rabbit, tics are for schizo-ids.

155. Bugs says:

Well, uhh, the “notion” of me is STILL me, isn’t it?

156. Bugs says:

I don’t know what to believe anymore!

157. JD_ says:

If you were a lone wolf on the notion, I’d properly bestow the honour upon you.

Given the numbers, however, the best I can manage is you are quorum-worthy.

Goin’ once, goin’ twice…

158. Bugs says:

So bottomline is: you WANT Pred and leaf articles on the Habsinsideout buffet?

What about the folks who are ALLERGIC to Pred and leaf and who COME HERE specifically because they’re assured NOT to come into contact with those allergens? What do you say to them? “We don’t do links here.” ?

C’mon.

JD?

C’mon.

159. JD_ says:

It’s not about what I want, rabs. Truth is, I haven’t more than glanced over any of the third-party stuff that’s recently been added to HI/O.

It’s the recognition that more than enough people on here do like the material and, in the end, I don’t have to put orange beef on my plate if I don’t want to.

No need to raise any…Hackels.

160. Bugs says:

But Nightscape 49 links a half dozens of those stories every day afore 8 am. If we want, we click. We certainly aren’t forced to chat on its page.

So what does the hackle bring that we can’t click on Nightscape 49’s posts for? Honestly.

161. JD_ says:

Can’t speak from experience, but I’m fairly certain graffiti artists are relatively open-minded about where they do their taggin’.

Anyhow, you and I both know this discussion is tantamount to debatin’ the price of eggs in China. Neither of us is truly invested in the topic. And don’t try to convince me otherwise, Bits, I can see the was-faded-through-the-whole-exercise twinkle in yer eye.

162. Bugs says:

(mumble-mutter)

163. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

I know AK-Pleks-Cammy is our entire scoring right now, and some would say it’s crazy to tamper with that, but..

1- Put Ak with gomez and Gio, he is the big body they need and is hot right now

2- Put Pouliot with Cammy and Pleks. Cammy and Pleks are hot and can produce with or without Andrei

164. matraque says:

Hey, Dustin Brown… No suspension…

LOL.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

165. scrowe21 says:

probably because he didnt him in the head, although it was a bit of a blindside hit. lol

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

166. JD_ says:

Lucky for you, the HI/O Summit game is Orange Beef Night at the Bell Centre.

167. _Habsoloutly_ says:

So the laffs have resorted to running over back-up goalies to win games now huh?  Right in front of the ref to!?  The NHL’s inept reffing at work again.

168. JD_ says:

Well, ya just go out there and get ‘im.

Git ‘er done.

Yee-freakin’-haaaaaa!

169. habfan53 says:

I agree that Eller is the one. Leave Gionta , Gomez and Eller together for 3 or 4 games . No is the time to do it against the Islanders and Panthers , let them get used toeach other let them get a feel for each other. With Ellers size 6’2″ 200 ponds and growing he can only help

170. Chuck says:

I agree. Play them together for a few games, let ‘em iron out some wrinkles, and we could be surprised with the chemistry that develops between them.

Centre Hice: Colton Orr owes me 15 bucks.

171. JD_ says:

Bah. Too practical.

I prefer open-ended, whimmy stuff, like “get ‘em” a somethin’ or other.

172. matraque says:

Ref said “Hit on the Head”

I guess it’s because there was no injury… stupid.

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

173. scrowe21 says:

Yeah but I assume once the league reviewed it , they realized it wasn’t a direct hit to the head.  it was more to the shoulder if you watch the slow mo’ replay. I thought so anyways

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

174. habaddict_andy says:

Yea, seriously.  Get as many points as possible early in the season.  Wait and see if GG line picks up.

175. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Ya..I agree. But it would likely result in TWO scoring lines. Then again, I say that but I don’t actually mean it. I’d be too scared the change would revert AK back to his old self.

176. habaddict_andy says:

My memory is still fresh in regards to Pouliot.  His disappearing act in the playoffs was not impressive one bit.  I don’t get people here wanted to give him more chance.  This summers mistake for the new GM was signing him over a million dollars.  If were lucky, we can trade for a griddier player who doesn’t shy away from getting his nose dirty.

The Canadiens’ report card is a great read. I feel it’s pretty accurate although I feel Picard and Halpern are undervalued and at least deserve a ‘B’. I’m not sure what to think of these weekly power rankings. I guess they are reflective of what a team is doing this very minute but really don’t pertain to the overall true ‘power’ status in the NHL.

178. CanadienBoy says:

The best part so far is they cut down on their shot again which should translate in more win

The Islanders sure know how to find bargains when it comes to shopping around in the NHL’s bargain basement. Moulson (7 pts), Parenteau (9), Wisniewski (8), Grabner (3) and Mottau (NJ) were all brought in as cheap UFA’s, waiver claims or mid level picks. Even Doug Weight (6) is back again. The Isles have some good young prospects but are presently being helped out by these ‘secondary’ players.

Two serious shoulder injuries have cost the team the services of Mark Streit and Kyle Okposo. They may not be back until mid-December which is a big blow to a team that needs all the talent it can get.

The management team has a tough decision to make this week in terms of what to do with 18 year old rookie, Nino Niederreiter. He only has a game to two left before he stays with the big club or goes back to junior. There’s always a debate over fast tracking kids, but the injury to Okposo just might force the Islanders’ hand. Niederreiter (6’2″/200) is the winger from Switzerland who really lit it up at the WJC.

It’s probably a good bet that the Habs will face both Islander goalies during the next 72 hours. Rick DiPietro (3.32/.882) is finally back and veteran Dwayne Roloson (1.65/.942) is still holding his own at the age of 39. Roloson vs a rusty Auld could be a bit of a problem. In a perfect world, it might be Auld going against the band-aid boy.  It will be interesting to see how the match-ups work out.

John Tavares (5/5/2/7) is back from his early season concussion. He scored the winner against the laffs and had a hat trick in his last game against Florida.

Here’s a link that will give you an overview of the Isles.

For sure.  It’s also a good omen that there are signs that last spring’s unexpected playoff run wasn’t just a fluke.  The prime objective is to no longer try and make the playoffs by squeezing into 8th spot on the final weekend.  We now have a very realistic chance of winning our division which sets us up nicely for the opening round.  Instead of being in 8th place in our conference, we can now take a run at being in the top eight for the entire league.  That certainly has to be a step forward from this time last year.

181. habs001 says:

looks like we will be a low scoring team just like last year so i dont think it makes much of a difference who we play in the first round…all series would be very close….they may be better suited to play the caps or pitts than buffalo,boston carolina….the only really bad match up probably the flyers..

182. smiler2729 says:

The Islanders are not pushovers, this isn’t an automatic win.

As for the Leafs, f***in’ cheaters. The hockey gods won’t let them in the Playoffs doin’ crap like that… I hope.

183. avatar_58 says:

Not to be that guy, but how is the leafs’ fault? It’s bad reffing at fault.

184. SmartDog says:

You know you’re in the weeds when Hindle’s report card puts you BELOW the benched Ryan O’Byrne.

I’m talking to you Brian Gionta, Scott Gomez, and Jaro Spacek.

185. Mattyleg says:

I am justified!!

Just read that there will be no further suspension for Brown because his hit contacted THE SHOULDER of whatshisname.

There you go, all the posters who were so not nice to me. Booyah!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

186. SmartDog says:

I didn’t say anything (I try not to pile on), but I thought you were wrong too.

You da man.

187. HabFanSince72 says:

As I said before, whether he hit the shoulder or the head is of secondary importance.

You can get a concussion from a shoulder to shoulder hit. It’s the snapping of the head that is the problem.

188. nick says:

Wow… I’m sorry but how do they allow a goal like that?

If I did that well at my job… I’d be on unemployment.

nick – I just watched the clip.  What a joke.

You know, it really has nothing to do with Toronto although some Hab fans will take it that way.  It’s much more than that.  The real issue is that the officiating in this league has regressed to the point where a major makeover is necessary (we’re damn close to crisis mode).  Not in the off-season but right now.  Some issues with the league (and the game) are beyond Bettman’s control.  This isn’t one of them.  Show some leadership and fix the problem.

In so many ways, the game we love is starting to slip away.  Or maybe I’m just starting to show my age.

190. fbkj says:

bs: goal and thats with my most objective of goggles on…

goin to the game tonite… weeee

191. matraque says:

Can someone explain to me why this goal counted?

——

Canadien en 5!
    Never go Full Retard

192. SmartDog says:

Total incompetence or corrupt bias.  Take your pick.

193. HabFanSince72 says:

Corrupt leadership leads to corrupt and incompetent rank and file.

194. nick says:

I couldn’t have put it better myself.

Its unfortunate, because there are instance where refs can miss things, a highstick here, a dirty hit there… It happens. But when it’s so blatant, in an era where video replay is used so often… There is no excuse for that missed call.

195. Mattyleg says:

Haha! Thanks dawg.

Ahhh… it’s good to be the king….

;)

—Hope Springs Eternal—

196. j2w4habs25 says:

I hope they fire that reff – no reff should help the Leafs like this, they were suppose to loose this game!.