Game 9: Supporting cast helps Habs down Isles

Islanders’ Dwayne Roloson stops an attempt by Canadiens captain Brian Gionta Wednesday night. Dario Ayala, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Wednesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game Blog
and About last night … | Stubbs
on Twitter
| Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Travis Moen | P.K. Subban

• At a Glance: Not only is Carey Price getting the job done in front of the net, he contribute to the offence on Wednesday night as the Canadiens defeated the New York Islanders 5-3 at the Bell Centre. Price earned an assist on Jeff Halpern’s third-period goal 6:56 into the period to give the Canadiens a 4-2 lead. The goal came at a good time because John Tavaeres scored only 13 seconds into the third period to narrow Montreal’s lead to only one goal. Mathieu Darche opened the scoring 13:19 into the game when he deflected a Halpern shot from the point. Travis Moen made it 2-0 a few minutes later with his first goal of the year, a shorthanded tap-in behind Dwayne Roloson after a perfect pass from Tomas Plekanec. James Wisniewski narrowed the Montreal leader in the final minute of the period with a power-play goal. Plekanec made it 3-1 Montreal in the second period, with a wicked slap shot over Roloson’s shoulder for his fourth goal of the season. Doug Weight made it 4-3 Montreal with seven minutes to play when he deflected a Wisniewski shot from the blue line, his third point of the night. Andrei Kostitsyn sealed the win with an empty-net goal in the final minute. Price made 18 saves for his sixth win of the season, while Roloson faced 35 shots on the night.

Key Moments: Kostitsyn’s goal ended the drama after the Islanders had been pressing for the tying goal in the final two minutes and timely goals by the supporting cast helped the Canadiens win.

• What It Means: Montreal improves to 6-2-1 after nine games, good for 13 points. The Canadiens have now won five of their last six games are are tied for first place in the Eastern Conference with the Tampa Bay Lightning.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens and Islanders play again on Friday in Long Island, with Montreal flying home right after that game to play the Panthers on Saturday night.

1. Bugs says:

Hell-O!

2. Bugs says:

Uhh, your reasoning is wonky, Effie, but I certainly respect your decision not to visit our blog regardless.

3. christophor says:

michael neuvirth?

4. CHsam says:

pretty darn good

5. Duracell3 says:

Because Alex Auld is cleary as good as Jaroslav Halak…..

6. mike g says:

I will…

A free HIOt-shirt would be nice, you know..

It’s a nice gesture on Boone’s part, plus it’s free advertising for the site.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

7. mike g says:

It’s alright dude…

As long as you think of me when you’re having a good time, like at a hockey game, I’m flattered.

Mike G’s done his job, other men who have absolutely no idea how he looks finally think about him…

I’m celebrating my prediction with a small cake and a candle….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

8. HFX-HabFan says:

Alright, I’m off to bed.  Happy with a convincing win at home (even if it was just the Isles).  Looking forward to the “No Habs No” rematch on Friday night.

9. fbkj says:

edit: still designed by someone with aol on the mind

10. fbkj says:

mikey i thought about your score while i was at the game, sorry i didnt set off the fireworks man

11. HFX-HabFan says:

Go straight to the top; ask Boone.  I think he’ll look quite favourably upon you after that fearless forecast.

12. fbkj says:

listen up troll, everlasting was right

13. fbkj says:

beyond obvious

14. ooder says:

holy crap what a beast

——————

88 is the new 23

15. mike g says:

BIG, BIG win….

But what’s even bigger?..

Well, if you guys would like to visit Pat Hickey’s blog on the main page, Mike G predicted tonight’s score.

And he predicted the final score to be 5-3 Habs, and Price to have an OK night, look pretty good and face about 19-20 shots.

And Price faced 21 shots.

Go check it out for yourselves, I deserve some sort of props for this prediction….

And HIO crew, you think this feat I pulled off tonight is enough to get me a free lifetime membership at HIO?

Go Habs goooooo

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

16. HFX-HabFan says:

Disagree. But people who get their panties in a knot over French/English stuff and then slip up like that don’t deserve to have their blogs visited, when the “stories” are already shoddy at best.

17. ooder says:

aa nice to see u come around buddy :)

——————

88 is the new 23

18. Bugs says:

Tell it to the Bro; he’s the boss. Go on his Saku story and suggest away. I don’t know nuthin about that stuff.

Decadently yours, I recline as

I think Habs have dominated a lot more than the score indicates. This is the first time in the long that I have seen them dominate in pretty much every aspect of the game. Sure, it’s the Islanders, but it still feels nice. Not like they haven’t beaten us before, so. Good on Moen for handling Kanopka pretty well and scoring a short handed. If GG line could produce anything the game would be over in the second. But at least they played decent defensively.

I’d say almost a perfect game. Hope come friday they will remember to cover Wasnewski (sp) on the point a little better.

Go HABs GO!!!

20. OverseasFan says:

That’s how to win games — outshoot the hell out of them!

21. fbkj says:

you have to work on the layout man its seriously amateur hour but a few tweeks would make it rock

22. Bugs says:

Agree. People who forget to put an “s” on “George” don’t deserve to live.

(Edit) Oh, hey, I found it. No more distractions; Habs enter nitty, soon gritty.

23. HFX-HabFan says:

I haven’t visited that “blog” since some crap article about Laraque in which he was referred to as “George” instead of “Georges”. You would think that Bugs, who is adamant for the preservation of all things French on the Habs, would proofread and make sure the proper French spelling was there.

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Late update from the WHL:

RW Brendan Gallagher’s scoring prowess isn’t going away, he adds two assists to maintain a 16-game point streak in a 5-3 win for the VAN Giants over the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Thanks to the scoring exploits of Gallagher and his linemate team captain Craig Cunningham, the VAN Giants are tops in their division with a 9-5-1-1 record and 2nd overall in their conference.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

25. Bugs says:

You mean the one written yesterday by the Bro? We don’t make up stories; we wait for them to manifest themselves. Let it breathe.

The extra job is JD’s and no one else’s. Self-satisfactory snide ain’t our thing, I’m afraid.

26. HFX-HabFan says:

So, how do you really feel about Gomez?

27. fbkj says:

bugs your still on the stalking saku article, is it the pantone shade of grey thats holding your AMAZING blog back? if you need a hand im here

28. HamiltonHabs says:

Sweet,,,

29. takuto97 says:

Love it!!! It seems that whenever Moen gets really involved in the game, we win. Dunno why, just seems that way…

30. dhenry1234 says:

Does anybody else have problems viewing hightlights from NHL.com or from Habs tv? Every time I go to see highlights all I get is bad quality video.

31. fbkj says:

seriously why do they relegate the t and a to the molson zone

grrrr

moar bewbs

32. punkster says:

Dog, you’re painting yourself into a tight corner with all this Gomez negativity. Have you considered just what the heck you’re going to say when he and Gionta start to click? We know they will. They always do. Fact is you’re starting to sound a lot like I did about AK last season and look at the crow I’m eating now.

33. 23 HABS 23 says:

I believe he was refering to the Game in March against Buffalo … not tonight’s game against the Isles – but an understandable mistake.  :)

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

34. fbkj says:

agreed, but gomez had his wheels on tonight, not a fan of him, but he did stand out on the full scope of things

35. Bugs says:

That’s TWO superior zingers from you after your 40′s singles bar pass, Pup.

Hell’s up wit YOU tonight?

36. SmartDog says:

That, or this….

Tough choice.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

37. Bugs says:

Brilliant!

Why couldn’t we get comments like this LAST year?

…oh, I shouldna said that…

38. SmartDog says:

Your boy Poulio was hot.  He deserved better.  Freakin’ Gomez and Gionta should be asking to be on HIS line.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

39. SmartDog says:

I thought Spacek made some great plays this game.  Some wild ones too but a lot more positive than negative.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

40. Bugs says:

The Kid didn’t have to have an extraordinary game tonight. Just an excellent one. And that’s what he had. He can play like four kinds of crap next time and I’ll still say his first 10 games were a stupendous success story.

Friggin Soobie came to play tonight, didn’t he?

For all you Darche-has-no-business-on-the-team folks: In. Your. Face. Yes, yes, oh, yes! All up in your face.

That kid Poolio…not bad, not bad at all. How many OPEN goals did he set up for Halpern? 2? 3? I like to imagine what he could do with a steady post on the 2nd line, and lemme tell yehs, the image is extremely stimulating. Post on breakaway after being taken down, then shanks the penalty-shot, can you believe it? Still, another point for my boy. Am I still the only believer?

And, unless my math is all screwy (which, to be fair, it usually is), le frère Andrei is headed for 55 goals. He gets there, he’s the summamabastich should be canonized, ask me.

41. SmartDog says:

Awesome game.  Plekanec is THE MAN.

Andrei K is fun to watch again.  He’s a freakin’ truck on skates.  Cammalleri leading the league in +/- shows what he’s about.  Too bad we have no second line.

IF there’s a little girl on the team now, it’s Gomer.  Last year he
    was useless. This year he couldn’t make a successful pass in an
    over-40′s single club.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

42. fbkj says:

for all those who think ice girls wouldnt make it more interesting, behold

yeah

43. Laramy87 says:

Although Darche had a good game tonight, i would still rather have Boyd in the lineup. I dont think he deserved to be scratched, he always gives 110%. Hopefully he can find his way back into the lineup soon too….

44. FormalWare says:

Yeah! Love NHL.com – Stats – League Leaders. Drink it in, folks!

45. Bugs says:

nhl.com is usually pretty quick on the draw.

46. sholi2000.com says:

Then you say great job Auld, and start your number one the next night.

They Call Me Shane

47. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Michael Cammalleri leads the league in +/-

Carey Price leads all goalies in wins.

48. lavie says:

Rather “Bold Auld”.

49. habsguy says:

Pissed?????…humm,  must be a NYI fan !!!

50. habs365 says:

Habs still winning and playing great I have one thing to say, it was nice to see someone other than the first line score tonight. hope it continues.

51. matmacat says:

where can I watch highlights?? Not NHL, not RDS, …

52. Psycho29 says:

If Knobserver comes on here please don’t mention that the Laffs aren’t in first place!!! :-)

53. habaholic68NJ says:

No quit by this team.  I liked that they kept bouncing back after every goal they gave up.

Negatives:PP still sucks, second line needs Pouliot (stop the auditions already), defense needs to clear the front of the net better so Price can see the puck and finally, Spacek needs to alternate with OB in the press-box.

54. sholi2000.com says:

AUld will play Friday night and Carey will get the next 10! :)

They Call Me Shane

55. Habs Proud says:

Nice to see AK46 get a gimme on the empty netter, when you’re working hard and things are going good sometimes the freebies fall in you lap.

Just how good will PK be in a year or two, he has moments of brillance already.

56. 23 HABS 23 says:

Hey there fellow HABS fans!  Great Game by the Canadiens!  But hats off to Dwayne Roloson … at 40+ he played AMAZING!  Carey Price also played well (I refuse to blame goalies for re-directed / tipped shots.  We got the win at home which is always a plus!  P.K. – WOW – what a work horse!  Offense, Defense, Special Teams – he was everywhere!  Plekanec … well worth giving up Halak!  What didn’t he do tonight – and almost every night, skate hard, penalty kill, set up team mates, and score goals!  Great team game overall!  Fun to watch (much better than N.J. Devils that is for sure)!

What are the chances Price will get the start Nov. 5th vs Buffalo?  Just wondering ’cause I have front row seats beside the Canadiens Penalty Box – and no offense to Auld, but I would really like to see Price play there again and avenge what should have been a shutout on March 24, 2010 (2 goal lead with 2:00 minutes left – ended in shoot out loss)!  Opinions?  Anyone?

GO HABS GO! (Let’s go get that elusive 25th Stanley Cup!)

57. DavidKB says:

No challenge flag. Designate one referee to focus solely on the action in front of the net. Let the players battle for position but call the nasty stuff including goaltender interference and dives by goalies who push the limits.

58. Muckbringer says:

so proud….viddy well!!!!

Gretchen Wilson & Alice in Chains – Barracuda

59. ThirtyThree says:

Phew… Scary there at the end. Good timeout call. Spacek, oh Lord Spacek. Let the kids play, Marty, and give the old folks a break. Good to get those points in the bank.

60. WindsorHab-10 says:

Good game by the Boys. Rolloson kept the Isles in it. What’s up with him going postal on pouliot? I mean the guy was tripped on a breakaway & slid into Rolloson, what’s benoit to do?

Does Subban have a great shot or what? He played an excellent game tonight & prevented may be 2 goals. Price had no chance on all 3 goals but I think he should get Friday off in New York. All in all, a good night.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

It’s a byproduct of expansion and officiating turnover. NHL has had to ask several veteran officials to stay on longer when they were prepared to do the job as they try and fill the ranks, doubling the officials and the league expanding to 30 teams has caused a requirement for more officials than was ever previously needed and much like it’s diluted player talent, officiating talent has suffered as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

62. SeriousFan09 says:

Your Bulldogs Report:

Battling back in a wild
    come from behind win, the Hamilton Bulldogs scored 4 goals in the 3rd
    period to beat the Syracuse Crunch 5-4. Max Pacioretty opened the
    scoring with a goal in the first period (his first of the season), than a
    scoring flurry with goals by Kyle Klubertanz, Andrew Conboy, JT Wyman
    and Yannick Weber in the course of just over 7 minutes in the 2nd half
    of the 3rd period won the match. Pacioretty assisted on both the the
    initial go-ahead goal and than the winning goal by Yannick Weber who
    notched his 6th goal of the season. Mayer’s stats could’ve been better,
    despite only 12 shots over 3 periods by Syracuse, 4 goals were scored.
    The return of Curtis Sanford to mentor Mayer would probably not hurt or
    at least take a game or two.

Aaron Palushaj, Ryan White, Andreas
    Engqvist and David Desharnais each had assists and JT Wyman had an
    assist to go with the initial go-ahead goal for Hamilton and Klubertanz
    added an assist to his scoring totals as well. Ian Schultz recorded a
    fight (not sure if he won).

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

63. slapshot777 says:

One thing the NHL should spend more money on is their officiating. The officiating is inconsistant at best. I still can’t believe that they blew that blatant call on Colton Orr goaltender interference. There are some decent officials, but there ae some brutal ones as well.

What do you guys think about having a challenge flag introduced into the game. If it was put in how would you like to see it implemented?

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

64. RGM says:

Another night, another W. Good times to be a Habs fan. :)

65. SmartDog says:

Stoked about the win, pissed off by the slackers.  It’s like being on uppers and downers at the same time. Brings out the best in some people.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

66. thebigguy says:

Am I the only one who thinks phantom dives like those of Blake Comeau’s tonight should be a suspendable offense. If I was in charge, I’d mandate a rule requiring an automatic review of every penalty. Anyone that was the result of a dive, I’d suspend the player diving. No business having that in hockey.

67. db says:

Pierre Dagenais

Janne Nininiminimima

68. SeriousFan09 says:

Marcel Hossa anyone?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

69. CHsam says:

Ryder? Higgins ? Souray ? Samsonov ? Perezhogin? Kovalev ?? yuck.

70. ooder says:

JAN BULIS!!!!!

——————

88 is the new 23

71. mike g says:

Rivet?

Tanguay?

Danis?

Begin?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. canadiens26 says:

Patrick Traverse

73. HabFanSince72 says:

If we could have a season in which we don’t play Philly, Boston, Washington, Chicago, Detroit, and San Jose.

Chuck, the problem will be that under the 3 point a game system, the last place team will only be 12 or 15 points behind us.

75. SeriousFan09 says:

118? Stupid management standing pat, made the right moves we could be bucking to break the 132-point record :p

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

76. HabFanSince72 says:

Thanks Bugs.

I wonder why there is a rule to determine who is first when two teams are tied but with unequal number of games played.

Think about it. Why is that rule even necessary?

77. Bugs says:

Wondered why we were first in the East when I looked at the standings, with Tamper holding same number of points, wins, AND having beaten us in our lone match-up.

In case anyone else wondered too, I found this at the bottom of the page:

Division leaders are seeded 1, 2, and 3 in Conference standings. If two or more clubs are tied in points during the regular season, the standing of the clubs is determined in the following order,

78. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
  79. The greater number of games won, excluding games won in the Shootout (NEW for 2010-11).
  80. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any “odd” games, shall be used to determine the standing.
  81. The greater differential between goals for and against for the entire regular season.
  82. So you see, since we only played ONCE against each other, it don’t count, baby!

Next up: Goal differential!

Yaaaay! We’re num1, y’all!

• lakechamplain says:

Let’s not get too heady; amidst the good play there are some issues, namely getting Gionta and Gomez into the offense and, duh, the power play.  And I still suspect that Hamrlink and Spacek often get outskated by speedy forwards. Anyway, how about trying Eller at center with Gionta and hmmmm, could someone fill in the blank.  Put Gomez with Pouliot and Pyatt.  The G & G line and power play are both peripheral;  they can’t generate anything inside.  Eller is tough, has good hands and doesn’t get checked off the puck or lose the battles on the board like Gomez is doing more and more. Aren’t there some wingers at Hamilton with some offensive flair that should get a chance?

BTW, I watched the TSN broadcast last night and while it’s not awful, the analysis leaves a lot to be desired, and i’m being nice here. If you remember how awful Guy, uh, Carbonneau was last year on CBC you get the idea.  But at least they’re broadcasting more Canadiens games.  But for their analysts to make any kind of judgement on the Halak/Eller deal 8 games in was cheap ‘journalism’. Give rookie Eller a chance to make mistakes and grow; he’s gonna be good.

• Habitant in Surrey says:

…the criteria I will watch, measuring realistically the ultimate potential of how far Our Team can go this season will be the results with the Philadelphias, Washingtons, Detroits, Vancouvers, Hawks, Preds …and The Blues (as a Carey statement game) …play these physical but skilled teams even, or win …I will have justified reason to be GIDDY-enough We may have another Cinderella season to look forward to in the playoffs …right now, I love watching beautiful hockey again …it has been a long time coming …yet I remain suspect of how far Jacques Martin can take Our Team based upon His previous coaching history …Jacques Martin, Kirk Muller and Perry Pearn are blessed with a depth of character, skill and speed on this Team that many other coaches would give their left-testicles for …unless there will be an unforeseen implosion along the way, this will likely to be My most entertaining season from My Habs since ’93 …o’ sooooo loooong ago …are the Hockey Gods finally smiling on Us again ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

• observer says:

Now they’ll put in Auld at Islanders and lose because of it. Why pull out Price now when he is on the top of his game?

• terrygain says:

yet I remain suspect of how far Jacques Martin can take Our Team based upon His previous coaching history .

I am more concerned with his current coaching decisions. Our weak links are 6 and 44, yet Martin sits 20 game after game. In the long term we are going to need his size.  Boyd should also not be sitting game after game. And I am not impressed with his stubborn insistence of playing a checker on the G & G line.  He should give Pouliot or Eller a fair shot.

The team, however, is playing with great spirit.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

Did anyone notice how those Maple Leaf fans are such sheep? They support management no matter what. It’s no wonder they haven’t won in 43 years.

• terrygain says:

I did not watch the discussion of the trade but I do wish TSN would drop Shouter McGuire. He commented on the lack of success of our PP as compared with last year without noting the obvious facts that it has been lacking Markov (and Bergeron). And he wants to put  a big man – Hal Gill – in front of the net on the PP as if he would perform better in that role than a big man who is more agile and with soft hands-  Kostitsyn. The most overlooked aspect of Kostitsyn’s  terrific skill set is his passing.

• kirkiswork says:

I watched TSN also….then I heard the awful drone of Pierre Mcguire and switched back to RDS.

• Bill J says:

The more important question here.

Why pose the question when you do not care ?

not to mention.

Why post on a Habs centric website ?  When you love Brian Burke and his <cough, cough> brilliance!

• terrygain says:

You demonstrate a complete lack of objectivity. I love Moen but he made a stupid decision. Something tells me that if that had been a Hab pushed from behind 4 feet from the boards you would be singing a different tune.

• Rainrocket16 says:

Wisniewski, who said he wasn’t hurt on the play, was upset about the hit. (Yahoo Sports)

“That kind of stuff, you paralyze guys. There’s no room in hockey for that,” Wisniewski said. “I know him pretty well. I played with (Moen) and he said sorry later on, but really there’s no excuse for that. I’m in a defenseless position and you take advantage of it 4 feet from the boards.” (Yahoo Sports)

–All I can say is, Quit turning your back to the boards when a far superior forechecker is breathing down your back and you know you are beaten. What a friggin wuss this guy is, did you all see him fall like a autumn leaf? He later said that Cammy’s slash against that lowly prospect of theirs in the preseason was unjustified..Arent the Isles out of excuses after all these years!

• Bryan says:

Uhhh… does he not remember his little incident with Seabrook?  What a joke.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

• Ian Cobb says:

Nice post Harani,  We are now a team,! it has taken years to put this package together, and the great thing is, we are only going to get better folks.  This is the year we have been waiting for, WHAT FUN TO WATCH.!

• Harani says:

Haven’t been here in a while coz of midterms and stuff but I just wanted make a comment on the complete change in attitude and vibe this season’s edition of the Habs are sending. It’s a kind of long post and very positive so trolls, don’t waste your time!

Every team has talented players and hardworkers, and high-paid players and low-paid ones. It’s the way these different individuals come together as a team on the ice is what shows you their personalities. And I think last year’s playoff run is a big contributing factor to the confidence and poise displayed by our Habs this year.

That basically translated into team spirit and everyone playing for each other. That’s why they chose to play hockey. It’s not like tennis where it’s you and only you.

The taps from Pleky to Price’s pads at the end of periods, Price talking to Auld a lot during TV timeouts, guys talking on the bench working things out, giving credit where it’s due, getting to practice before it starts (Pleky), just accepting their respective roles and fulfilling it to the best of their abilities without letting anyone down. I think the most important part is the trust these guys have as a group in Jacques Martin. Knowing that he’s drawn out a plan and it would be in their best interest to follow it. And the results are showing up.

Just today in his post-game presser (on the Habs Official Website), Mathieu Darche mentions how Pleky, Cammi and the top 5 forwards keep their shifts short and come back to the bench if there is no plays to be made. He reference Pleky just dumping the puck in and changing. He said that when you see your “best” player doing it, it keeps you in check.

So, the Habs are doing the small things right and it is taking them on a winning trail. Go Habs!

“It must be love!”

• Bugs says:

And all of that was MY idea, Miss Harry; I swear to GOSH.

• j2w4habs25 says:

I keep forgetting to save that site where I can watch the game online – but if first does anyone know if TSN still does live streams? any someone help me lol

• SamB says:

Good answer. Good on JM advocating patience and not succumbing to the pressure of the media and the fans. Eller having to earn his way up and not receiving everything on a silver platter will teach him the importance of bringing it every night and working on his game during practice.

side note: If the organization had listened to the fans we would have resigned Kovalev instead of our Captain.

Gomez usually has slow starts, and you can’t say these guys haven’t been getting any chances. They just aren’t getting the bounces but those will come eventually. I wouldn’t panic about that line, the effort is there every night and the goals will come.

• samTHEman says:

Yup. Last year it took Cammi about 5-6 games before scoring his 1st. He finished the season with 26 goals, and missed 17 games. Then went on to score 13 goals in 19 games in the playoff run. Need to stop quickly criticizing our players and jumping to conclusions. We know nothing of what really goes on in the locker room and in the head of JM, as big as it is. :P

• HardHabits says:

Great reply!!! I hope Eller earns his way up but would rather that G&G start popping some in first, with whoever.

• LA Loyalist says:

That’s funny, and accurate. In fact it’s exactly like inflation. You’ll sometimes hear a cost expressed in “1970′s dollars”.

Good win, important points.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

• slapshot777 says:

Good game overall by the Habs. Islanders tried to do a lot of cherry picking. I mean seriously Niederiter out at centre ice.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

• Everlasting1 says:

Can someone call animal control and have that monkey removed from Pouliot’s back already?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

• punkster says:

Oh Bugs, you’re just not gonna let this go, are ya? Timo is not, I repeat NOT, a Flamer fan. He chews Habbalicious bubble-gum, drinks only Flanneltop Pop and would be more than happy to help you decorate your basement habitat with Habs memorabilia (maybe a nice set of CH drapes, matching CH towel set and don’t forget the CH placemats and napkins, stunning!).

Luv ya man…but still ;)

• Bugs says:

I finally get you to look through the telescope and you STILL refuse to see!

Incredible.

• HardHabits says:

You got bad eyesight Bugsy. Maybe you needs to eats more carrots. Timo is no flamer. He lives in Calgary so he is the one looking through the microscope at the Flames’ fans. You better clean the grit off of your lens.

• Timo says:

Pierre was raving about how Tanguay was doing graet in Calgary. Say what? Pierre should come and talk to some of the flames fans here to set him straight.

• Bugs says:

Hey, yo, Brewster!

What’d I tell ya?

• HardHabits says:

Put Eller with Gionta and Pouliot for a while or try Eller with G&G.

The only other option is Pouliot with G&G.

• samTHEman says:

I wouldn’t go as far as demoting Gomez to the 3rd line. It’s the beginning of the season. Some players need a bit more time to find their stride. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before Gomez and Gionta click. It’s not like Gionta isn’t getting his chances. He’s leading the team with 30 something shots. I would like to see Eller play on the LW but I believe he’s more effective as a center. JM used him very well last game, rewarding him by giving him ice time at the end. I think as the season progresses he will start to feel more comfortable and confident and will play better as a result. There must be a reason why we haven’t seen Eller on the 2nd line with G-G yet. Maybe JM doesn’t want to make the same mistakes the organisation made with Max Pac and rush a kid to the top 6. Maybe making him play tough minutes on the 3rd and earning his way to the top 6 is the idea JM envisions.

• Bill J says:

Ya kinda just reminded him of that fact with your post :P

• TomNickle says:

I was just needling the comment.  Not sincere at all.

• HardHabits says:

I disagree. Boucher’s style was polar opposites to Martin’s. Now with Randy Cunneyworth as Bulldogs coach we’ll see them play a style that is closer to what the Habs are doing. That way the inclusion of the call-ups will be seamless. Last season I remember when they threw out that kid line against the Pens. They made the system look stupid. ;-)

But that has to be put into perspective. Boucher’s is an offense 1st system. Martin’s is a defense first. Martin is going to implement his offensive style now that the team is on the same page defensively. We’ve seen shots against totals go down. I hope that trend continues. I also think an offensive system backed by a strong in place defensive system is stronger than an offensive system whose defensive side is in need of attention.

I am looking forward to see how the season series plays out between the Habs and Lightning this year. The 1st game was close. Like I said earlier we Habs fans have two extra sub-plots to go along with following the team. Martin and Boucher, Price and Halak, coaching and goaltending, management’s decisions and arm-chair GM’s of HIO wrangling.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Cunneyworth once wore the C in Ottawa during Martin’s first few years at the helm.  Just don’t let Tony know.

• Bill J says:

I recommend you watch the play again.

At the last minute Wisnewsky (sp?) leaned forward.

Moen would have had a clean check if not for that reason.

But it was too late for Moen to change what he was about to do.

Ultimately that is the reason he only got 2 minutes for it.

• surprise says:

we need guy boucher

• TomNickle says:

You’re right.  Hamilton could really use him right now.

• HFX-HabFan says:

Since we’re up against the Isles tonight, here is a roster you may find interesting- it’s comprised of NHLers who made their league debut in an Islanders uniform.  Consider:

Niederreiter-Tavares-Okposo

Bertuzzi-Connolly-Hunter

Torres-Bailey-Comeau

Tay Pyatt-Nielsen-Godard

Bergenheim

Chara-McCabe

Brewer-Martinek

Campoli-Strudwick

Hillen

Luongo

DiPietro

Total cost: $54.51mil, or $4.8mil under the cap.  Having Luongo in nets and Chara, McCabe and Brewer on the backline certainly wouldn’t hurt today’s version of the Isles.  And yet somehow CBC, NBC, and NESN all see Mike Milbury as an “expert” analyst.

• ooder says:

hey HIO admins, as you may have notice there have been some excessive trolling and annoying posters

im not talking about banter like xtrahabs fans or wtvr, im talking about guys like antoinette or wtvr and the ones who get their accounts banned.

i have a pretty good solution to get rid of the trolling and of posters who are deemed “unworthy” (that’s a joke lol), and its smarter then just deleting thier accounts.

who can i talk to about this so we can go back to enjoying this site without stupid reminders from trolls whenever the habs lose

thanks

——————

88 is the new 23

• mike g says:

Troll…

lol, jk

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

• CHsam says:

LOL!!!! Oh man HOW COULD I FORGET???!!!!

• pmaraw says:

im tellin ya, pleky is making a run at the hart trophy this year

• Bugs says:

S’long as Crosby, Ovy, Henrik, St-Louis, Kane and Richards are run at too, you may be right.

• tricolore says:

Good game overall so far for the Habs. Lots of speed. Good fore-check. Subban has played his best game in a Habs jersey in my opinion because of his defensive interventions. Pleks is showing he’s worth every penny.

Pouliot couldn’t hit water if he fell out of a boat. Sigh.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

• HabsFanInTampa says:

Great team effort tonight!

• Bryan says:

I think that Stamkos guy might deserve a spot in that list.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

• Bugs says:

Thought about it. Thought about Backstrom too. But I reckoned there could only be one MVP from a team, the one that carried and inspired offense the most.

Chose Ovy and St-Louis.

I’ll choose Stammy next year, I promise.

But yes, you’re correct.

• tenoarman says:

Mostly a great game, but I wish our D would cut back on allowing opposing forwards to be right in front of our goalie. I’m no expert but I think our D is supposed to be there first. Then again, maybe Price has worked out an arrangement to cut back on any screening; “Defend them after they’re right in front of me, boys!”. Kudos to Jacques Martin; shudder!, for not sitting on the lead as much as he wanted.

——–