Game 80: Habs blow it on Long Island

Canadiens’ Maxim Lapierre is pushed off the puck by Islanders’ Jack Hillen Tuesday night. Bruce Bennett/Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Tomas Plekanec | Ryan O’Byrne | Josh Gorges | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens came out flat against the New York Islanders, trailing 1-0 after 20 minutes and being badly outshot and outplayed, eventually losing 4-3 in a shootout. The Canadiens woke up in the second period with goals by Tomas Plekanec, his 25th, and Brian Gionta, who tied Michael Cammalleri for the team lead with 26 goals. Blake Comeau scored the game’s first goal and Sean Bergenheim tied the game 2-2 only two minutes into the third period and the Islanders were buzzing the net after that, with the Canadiens on their heels a little. But Maxim Lapierre scored a pretty goal four minutes later as he fought off two defenders and went in alone on Martin Biron, beating him with a nice backhand to the roof of the net. But the Isles did not roll over with Frans Nielsen tying the game 3-3 with 2:01 to play. Halak allowed two goals in the shootout, while the Canadiens could not beat Biron. Halak faced 42 shots in 65 minutes of play, making 39 saves, but he was beaten handily in the shootout.

• Key Moments: Halak was left alone in the first period as the Islanders took 15 shots on net, with Halak stopping all but one, while his teammates could muster only five shots on Martin Biron. Halak also made an incredible save on John Tavares in the third period shortly after the Islanders had made it 2-2.

• What It Means: The Canadiens miss a chance to clinch a playoff spot and drop to 39-32-9 for 87 points. The Flyers’ win in Toronto prevents Montreal from clinching.

• What’s Next: Two games remain the regular season, with a visit to the Carolina Hurricanes on Thursday and a home date against the Toronto Maple Leafs to finish the season.

1. Bill J says:

I unno – The Forum brought the best outa the fans.

Keep in mind 66 & 33 where born on the same day, woulda meant we woulda had both Lemieux and Roy.

Can you say at least 6 Cups ? lol

2. adam76 says:

Doesn’t Kirk run the PowerPlay?

3. REB says:

Bugs, I agree with you…on both counts.  Couldn’t help chuckling myself!

4. The Cat says:

Does JM ever talk about anything else? Its always special teams this, special teams that.

5. growhabsgrow says:

Disagree.

What’s classy about douchebaggery and arrogance? Refresh my memory – how many times has the Ole Ole Ole Ole chant resulted in a positive? The sogn is lame. Very, very lame. Should we all head to games in striped shirts, berets with a baugette tossed over our shoulder? Should they start vending pencil thin mustaches for the gents and pit hair for the ladies. Should we rename our blue line Maginot?

6. TomNickle says:

Surprise Surprise.  Count Jacques says that the Powerplay’s recent slide is mostly attributed to a lack of puck support.

Really?  I thought maybe it had something to do with Bergeron and Cammalleri passing instead of shooting.

Just my opinion though.

7. christophor says:

and its singing it even when losing that makes it even more special.

when they’re down, the liverpoolers sing to their opponents: “you only sing when you’re winning, sing when you’re winning, sing when you’re wiiiiiiiiiinniiiiing!”.

no one can sing that to the habs faithful. actually, no one else really sings.

its never too early in the third, or the first, to start the chant.

dang, bugs. you’re distracting me from work.

8. Say Ash says:

Of course, it’s difficult to separate the cultural aspects of the sport. Kids are taken to their respective fields/rinks because that’s where their parents went, too.

And I’m not saying if every newborn were handed a stick he or she would never kick a soccer ball. Hockey was just an example I used because, hey, this is HabsI/O. But if there were a rink next to every field, and maybe even one of those X-Games half pipes, soccer’s popularity would be proportionate, no?

Anyways, gotta go home and take my kid to, umm, soccer practice…

9. Storm Man says:

Enjoy the game all, Im kicking back with a BBQ steak and some red stripe, Im hoping for a big game from Cammy

10. TomNickle says:

It is much better than……

1. Ref You Suck

2. Cros-by sucks

3. O-V sucks.

I think the creativity of our fans is one of our strong points.  I think that the fans that boo any hometown player who doesn’t sleep with the wife of a teammate should be shot however, in the stomach.

11. TomNickle says:

I hope we play long enough to get metropolitan flair back into the lineup!

HAHA…..It works on TWO LEVELS!

12. Bugs says:

Disagree.

Enough with 1987. More innovation, please. More frenchinicity. More class. More diversity. More European style. More Metropolitan flair. More multiculturalism, please.

It’s what distinguishes us from the rabble and that’s why it’s so important.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

13. Storm Man says:

I would think that Chad would have been a better dancer with all his endzone dancing;)

14. TomNickle says:

I think posters will agree that the last thing I need right now is support!

Haha, thanks though.

15. Bugs says:

Well, be nice to your kid, Tommy!

If he wants to synchronize swim (mmph), let’m synchonize sw…(guffaw!)

Aw, I couldn’t keep a straight face.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

16. growhabsgrow says:

I’m with Tom.

I’d also like the soccer fans to take back their Ole Ole Ole song. We sing one song at Habs games. One. It goes like this “na na na na… na na na na….hey hey hey….gooodbye”.  I say we shelve the soccer song and dust off the oldie.

17. Bugs says:

That part is true.

It’s the part where you say that if folks started having more advantages, interest in soccer would dwindle. That’s the part that is nonsensical because if we can understand how the CULTURE of hockey so permeates this country, to think that that soccer’s culture would evaporate in the OTHER 160 countries under the pretense that they can now afford a hockey stick is preposterous.

It’s too late for that now. Has been for a century. Soccer rules humanity.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

18. TomNickle says:

If he can get me Chad Ochocinco’s autograph I’m all for it.

19. Storm Man says:

Maybe your son wants to be a pro on dancing with the stars why try and kill a childs dream in life.

20. TomNickle says:

Joke Bugs, joke.  That’s all.  Please don’t get angry.

21. TomNickle says:

Really?  Bowling?  Lawn Bowling?  Polo?  Dodgeball?  Synchronized swimming?

22. Bugs says:

Gymnastics aren’t sports first of all; they’re athletics.

Secondly, encouraging your son to quit at anything probably means you’re not the best suited to teach him about sports at all.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

23. Say Ash says:

I think you’ll agree the majority of humanity is also dirt poor, Bugs. And probably until the end of time as well. I just rarely hear anybody mention that maybe, just maybe, a portion of “The Beautiful Game’s” appeal is that it’s readily accessible to anyone, anywhere, regardless of financial disposition. That’s beautiful, too.

24. TomNickle says:

It was a joke.  But in all seriousness, I would.

25. Storm Man says:

That is sad to hear, I think all mothers and fathers should encourage what sports the kids like to play.

26. TomNickle says:

And it is the only sport other than gymnastics that I would encourage my son to quit.

27. Storm Man says:

Hockey writers pick their top 5 players on a points system and take the top 3 from voting and show them at the show in Vegas and give the Trophy to the top player with the most points in voting.

28. Say Ash says:

Yeah, but that’s my point. Does Miller help the Sabres win any less than OV helps the Caps win? It’s meaningless.

29. Bugs says:

Really?

I thought NOT re-signing our num1 defenseman was a must. What do I know?

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

30. Bugs says:

Caught a glimpse of what you were sayin about soccer, Ash. Good thing I’m at work and don’t have time to get into it cuz you’d have me goin nuts, so I’ll be brief: You don’t know what the heck you’re talkin about, mate.

Soccer is the ONLY sport that unites humanity. All of humanity. Everywhere. It can be played everywhere, anywhere, by anyone and everyone and no amount of “sudden wealth” for example, would change that. It will remain the most popular sport until the end of time. The emotion. The emotion is what fuels the Beautiful Game.

Hockey is Passion. Soccer is Emotion.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

31. Joe_Habs says:

I think re-uping Markov is a must, we cant afford to lose one of our two solid blue-liners.

_______________________________________________________________________

http://www.habshangover.weebly.com <—My Blog, new post Habs Vs. Islanders Preview. Feel free to comment, I’d love to know what you think!

32. pmaraw says:

most valuable player in helping his team win (i believe)

33. andrewberkshire says:

Either way, we need to focus on the players we can lose immediately first, and we can negotiate with Markov from July 1st to October 1st to make sure he has a contract extension before the season begins.

34. HabFanSince72 says:

John Scott from Minnesota.

35. Bill J says:

It’s definitely before July 1st for Markov, I just do not know what date exactly.  IE for sure after game 7 of the Cup Finals… But also for sure prior to July 1st.

36. andrewberkshire says:

Hammer. It’s not even a question.

37. Bones says:

Everyone is allowed their opinion. BTW it`s spelled Myers.

38. andrewberkshire says:

I agree, but I don’t know when we’re legally allowed to renegotiate with him. It might be July 1st, who knows? Either way, we can negotiate with him after we have our impending free agents locked up.

39. Say Ash says:

Not meant to hijack, but Hammer or Chelios for the next month or more?

40. Ronan G says:

I hope you we’re just trying to be orginal there. Cause I wouldn’t want you being our team GM. hahaha

Meyers >>>>>> Bogosian

“The NHL was going to test the Stanley Cup for lysteria, but then they realized it hasn’t touch a Maple Leaf product in over 42 years!”

41. SeriousFan09 says:

The NHL awards seem to have gotten away from their original intention when you look at some of them and how they’re given out now.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.