Game 78: Canadiens move into sixth place

Flyers goalie Brian Boucher stops a shot by Canadiens’ Brian Gionta during first-period action Friday night. Ron Cortes/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Dominic Moore | Tomas Plekanec | Jaro Halak | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Jaroslav Halak made 35 saves, including 14 in the third period, as the Canadiens weathered a Flyers storm in Philadelphia to hold on for a 1-0 win on Friday night. Tomas Plekanec scored his 24th goal of the season 9:25 into the first period on a nice pass from Andrei Kostitsyn from behind the Flyers net. Plekanec was left pretty much alone and was able to put the puck into the open side of the net behind Brian Boucher. The Canadiens, holding on to the one-goal lead, mustered only 3 shots on Boucher in the third period as the Flyers, who had played on Wednesday night, dominated the final 20 minutes of play. Halak withstood the Flyers onslaught for his fourth shutout of the season.

• Key Moments: The Flyers throught they had tied the game in the third period, but the goal was waved off because the puck was hit with a high stick.

• What It Means: The Canadiens move into sixth spot in the Eastern Conference with 84 points and a 38-32-8 record for 84 points. They are two points up on the Flyers and Bruins, but Boston has a game in hand.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens have four games remaining in the regular season starting Saturday night at home against the Sabres. They hit the road for games against the Islanders and Hurricanes next Tuesday and Thursday, respectively, before warpping up the season against the Maple Leafs on April 10.

1. Favorite Son says:

Yeah guys, besides, it’s Cedrick Desjardins that will be the next Patrick Roy.

2. habs03 says:

Hey Jimmy Shaker, this is why I rather have Hamrlik on D instead of MAB,
    which you suggested earlier, it wasn’t the bad pinch, but late in the
    first, he was on the boards and passed it back to the slot right to a
    flyer. I love him for his point shot but he can’t play D

3. habfan01 says:

I mean an internet feed in english

4. pablojinko says:

LOL…

its friday night, so I can foresee lots of Pierre McGuire’s Drinking Game been played across town

5. slapshot777 says:

Habs got to keep skating and for Gods sake stop making stupid pinches by the defensemen, Philly is looking fot that stretch pass.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

6. Storm Man says:

CSN HD is fun hearing the Flyers guys talk lol

7. Robert L says:

You’re confusing Begin and Boullion with John Ferguson. If you think either of them ever scared anyone, I think you are mistaken.

8. pablojinko says:

The problem is “Jaro” is 1-3 in the last 4 games, and I say “Jaro” because the W-L stat is, imo, illogical and unfair, to say the least… truth is the team is 1-5 in the last 6… Jaro is nowhere near to look as two months ago, he’s letting in some softies, and more important, the team has found a way to lose with him in nets :S… Today is a nice opportunity to bounce back, today we will see how he handle the pressure, but again, if the team keeps playing in crappy-mode, Jaro’s going to have a tough night even if he pulls a ’93 Patrick Roy

9. christophor says:

Pierre McGuire will be speaking some sort of language on TSN

10. ooder says:

guys… all this price vs halak talk is ridiculous…

this isn’t price or halak vs the flyers, it’s the habs vs the flyers.

there have been very few games were goaltending was an issue for us. If we score only 1 goal then it doesn’t matter who is in nets.

The team needs to paly well… our goalies always do

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

11. habaholic68NJ says:

Timo.  My only disagreement with your post is the order of the problems: JM is first.

12. g says:

sebastien caron is philly’s seventh goalie of the year.

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

13. habfan01 says:

Anyone know if there is an english feed for the game, or only the RDS french?

14. jimmy shaker says:

Jaro!

Shaker

15. habs03 says:

I think Jaro is the right choice tonight, I was thinking Price would play tomorrow since he has done better than jaro vs the Sabres, but its a shame that JM won’t play him because its a home game. Man do we know how to ruin young players. And people want to play up Subban, what are people going to say when Subban is going to do a spin around at the blue line and give up the puck and it leads to a breakway goal at the end of the game. We have no patience with our young guys, and then we ask ourselfs why we don’t devople our players well. just my imo.

16. Olay Olay Olay says:

I don’t see how playing Halak at all at this point is a bad strategy, his record speaks for itself. It doesn’t seem to matter how price plays, unless he plays superhuman and stop ever puck every game, we lose. This team play like crap in front of him night in night out.

I’m not the biggest Price fan by any means but I feel bad for the kid, this team’s defence and coach should be ashamed the way they’ve played around him.

Dido for the brain dead fans who booed him last game, do us all a favour and stay home next time.

17. ed lopaz says:

you’re probably right .

18. christophor says:

another perk.

i think they would do fine.

19. ed lopaz says:

ok – interesting – the gill and OB pair could sub for the 76′ers game. :-)

20. adesbarats says:

A conversation with my two year old daugther:

Daddy: Who’s going to win tonight, Montreal or Philly?

Erin: I don’t know Dadda…

Daddy: Ok, let’s put it this way. Montreal is GOOD, Philly is BAD. So, who will win, Montreal or Philly?

Erin: I don’t know Dadda…

Daddy: Hmmm, ok. Montreal is Daddy’s FAVORITE team, so who will win now, Montreal or Philly?

Erin: Oh, Philly Dadda!

Guess I should have started earlier……

21. Habsforlife 1959 says:

More like the Habs will be stone by the Broad Street Bullies and be glad to get out of town from such a whipping in all departments TONIGHT. Expect a hard hitting game with Midgets against the Giants. Ouch!!!

22. ed lopaz says:

“Philly is going to bang and crash the nat all night long”

if philly bangs and crashes and does NOT take penalties – we lose.

if philly bangs and crashes and our power play is anemic – we lose.

if philly bangs and crashes and we do NOT bang and crash back at them – we lose.

this is why I can not understand the logic of getting rid of Bouillon, and Begin.

I’m very concerned that we will get physically pounded tonight, and if our Power Play can not respond, we will get knocked right out of the building.

WHO DO WE HAVE THAT CAN ANSWER THE BELL??
    (not fight, I’m talking hit cleanly)

23. christophor says:

Markov-Spacek (The intended pairing from the start; a solid #1 pair where both can contribute offensively but have the +/- to show they’re responsible; plus Spacek gets back to his side of the rink).

Hamrlik-Gorges (Hamrlik plays better when counted on for offense and Gorges is solid)

Gill-O’Byrne (Shut down line that sees 10-15 min tops)

These should have been the pairings since Markov’s return

24. Storm Man says:

Are you willing to do the same if he does not?

25. savethepuck says:

I origionally thought they would split the back to back and if so Carey tonight Jaro tomorrow would of been thwe wise choice.  I assume by starting Jaro tonight he plans to play him tomorrow if he wins ( the good ol win your in coaching genius ), if he plans on playing Carey the 2nd of the b2b, he’s made a mistake.  I agree Carey is better on the road because he doesn’t have to put up with the bs.

26. ed lopaz says:

don’t get me started with PK – I think I must have posted at least 20 times about this.

let’s just accept that its not happening; nothing we can do.

I’m fine with other pairings, as long as markov gets going.

do you remember how many points he racked up when he first came back from his injury.

some of those points were when he came off his position on the blueline and actually went “back door” on the D.

markov can be a brilliant player – but he needs to have the support behind him to take some chances.

i’m not sure OB is strong enough yet.

27. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Put Price in net for the Flyers and who would win tonight? Halak or Price?

28. J. Ambrose says:

Will we see you here admitting you were wrong after Jaro stones them tonight?

29. Storm Man says:

Mine would be

Markov  Gorges

Spacek OB

PK Gill

30. jimmy shaker says:

Just to let you know that Jaro is going to get the next five games in a row…….There is no other option at this point in the season.  The almighty W, says so…..and Jaro and the team get those more than Carey and the team do.  NO slagging to Carey just the facts!

Shaker

31. Storm Man says:

It has nothing to do with Karma. Martin is just a bad coach nothing more nothing less. I hope we can score more then 1 goal tonight

32. ed lopaz says:

well – i think i would break up the spacek hamrlik couple.

maybe put groges with markov, and let markov go with the puck more and joint the rush.

so you could have

markov and gorges

spacek and gill

hamrlik and OB (would not play too much; much less than they are playing right now)

what do you think?

who would you put with markov so he could stimulate more offence??

33. Habsforlife 1959 says:

Price should have played Philly and Halak against Buffalo since Price lost the last time in Buffalo. Price is better on the road and Halak is better at home. We ahve not got a hoping hell with Halak in nets tonight. Philly is going to bang and crash the nat all night long. Halak will see nothing but red light behind him tonight. I guess Martin wants Price back in nets to face the fans and Sabres again while we all listen to the boo birds all night long. I guess Martin is trying his damness to run Price out of town to save his own ***. Bad Karma in the coaching decision to play Halak tonight.

34. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Brian Boucher expected to start. Caron just a back-up.

35. homerbowen says:

OK who do you suggest?

36. ed lopaz says:

I posted this on another thread – but there were no further comments – maybe my comment doesn’t warrant any of your attention, but I will post it here any way. :-)

one way to generate more offence is by getting your D implicated in the offence.

that’s why MOBILITY has become the catch phrase for D-men these days.

Markov is excellent – world class – but he IS LIMITED by the fact that his partner is a #5 d-man playing along side him.

Larry Robinson had Serge Savard next to him (or next to each other, however you want it).

MARKOV NEEDS TO GET MORE IMPLICATED IN THE OFFENCE – pair him with someone else who can hold down the fort while Markov gets involved.

have you seen how Markov plays 4 on 4?

we have one the top 10, MOBILE d-men in the world in our lineup.

LETS GET MARKOV GOING!!

37. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Solid post – I definitely agree with you Timo.

38. homerbowen says:

It doesn’t matter who is in goal as that is our only strong point on this team.

When are those super studs going to start scoring? We have a few multi million dollar  players up front who lack the ability on a regular basis to earn even half their paycheque. I ask that they stand up and earn their keep!!!! OMG you say they are already standing……………does that mean none are at least 6′ tall???????????? Ok then it looks like this is another write-off year until we grow bigger.

When the door closes at season’s end I hope our enthusiastic coach is going thru it for the last time.

39. showey47 says:

yet your fav. players are gionta and the road runner?

40. JIMVINNY says:

I think that by playing Halak tonight, Martin can Force Price down the fans throats tomorrow.  Kind of an FU for booing him.

41. gp52 says:

i think cammalleri has been talking to george laraque and doesn’t really feel like scoring goals or really even

skating anymore ,he just  wants to help destitue animals

42. gp52 says:

you forgot small

43. deuce6 says:

Who was saying Bergeron should play top pairing minutes again? He is a BADDDD defensman..

Every time he is out there, he has made terrible decisions and cost us a great chance or an odd man rush…Can’t wait for his contract to expire..

44. light_n_tasty says:

So, I used to be pretty annoyed that the only thing we talked about on these boards was goaltending.  Not anymore.  Goaltending is pretty much the only thing on this team worth talking about.

45. somerslovesthehabs says:

I know you usually take alot of heat Timo but you nailed it today kid, lazy applies only some guys though, we know who you mean

46. Storm Man says:

MARTIN  case closed

47. TomNickle says:

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.  Just because yours is wrong doesn’t mean it will be held against you.

48. HUDSONHAB says:

It doesn’t matter who is in net; If the mistakes and lack of effort keeps up the Habs won’t win.

There haven’t really been that many bad goals (usually against Price and at the worst possible time) but there has been many mistakes and many stretches of lackadaisical play.

Hab4life

49. habs03 says:

Man all I have to say is, we got two amazing young goalie, whoever the team decide to trade we better get a big return, and it better be a western team.

50. habs03 says:

Shaker has been hoping for MAB to play on D for a while now.

51. Devotee says:

@ Shaker & Tom

I don’t know what games you have been watching all year but Hammer is far better than Spacek on defence! IMO

52. Chuck says:

Rather than cheering for the Leafs to win, it’ll be easier on your concience to cheer the other team on to defeat.  :)

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

53. Chuck says:

I like it! “Tonya Harding” him!

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

54. slapshot777 says:

Zip it don’t want to hex Halak. Let’s just enjoy.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

55. TomNickle says:

Hey Shaker, sorry I didn’t respond the other day.  Had to leave quickly.

Looks like I missed quite a bit today.  Any word on whether or not the training staff can have Jaro Spacek cough all over Hammer’s meals for the next couple of days?

56. mbplekfan says:

The bulldogs are playing very well. Unfortunately most of the offense comes from Desharnais and Trotter. Neither of whom could make the slightest difference to our team.

PK is NHL ready and Desjardins could probably handle an NHL back up roll. Carle might press for a position next year but we have too many d already.

Nice to have a good farm team but its better to have the right prospects in place.

57. slapshot777 says:

I guess Pyatt goes back in the lineup tonight. Why the Habs have kept Maxwell up and not giving him any playing time is beyond me. Wouldn’t it be wise to send him back down to the Dogs and let him play rather than be watching hockey from the press box.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

58. Storm Man says:

I was hoping Martin would get that virus… Oh that’s right he has had it all year.

59. Storm Man says:

I like BC have some good friends in Vancouver, I don’t know Timo but anyone named Tim is a good guy in my books;)

60. Eliisa says:

I wouldn’t say no to him being off the ice, he seems to play well against the Canadiens. Didn’t he get a hattrick last time he played the Habs?

61. jimmy shaker says:

TOO bad Hammer didn’t have the virus instead of Spacek.  Oh well, MAB on the D is all we need.

Shaker

62. Eliisa says:

Is that what we are really known for as British Columbians? BC bud? :)

Don’t tell me you are Timo are best buddies.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Wouldn’t have to be that overt or rough, Briere’s one of the most fragile players on the ice.

64. Eliisa says:

Maybe a premeditated hit to the knee to take him out of the competition?

65. Storm Man says:

Its all the 420 the Nuck fans smoke lol. Yes a good base of Hab fans in Calgary and some that post on here;)

66. Eliisa says:

In Calgary? Really? That suprises me. I am surrounded by a bunch of lousy Canucks. Never have I seen a fanbase that jumps on a off the wagon so much.

Let’s hope our boys give us something to cheer about tonight, it’s do or die time.

67. SeriousFan09 says:

Dislocated shoulder while pulling on his jersey?

68. Storm Man says:

He is 6’8 btw and still growing

69. Favorite Son says:

Hmm. Doesn’t sound very promising. I think we should trade him. Thanks for the info!

70. Bugs says:

I just hope our dear Mr Brière doesn’t have an…”accident” during the game. We all know how “accidents” sometimes happen that no one can predict or forewarn, but you never know, this guy Brière could have one.

Gosh forbid, of course.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

71. Eliisa says:

Lapierre seems to get under the skin very effectively – sometimes I wish he would just drop the damn gloves, mind you I did see him fight and it didn’t end happily for him. I have noticed too lately that Plekanec has been getting into it with more players.

What the Flyers seem to have a shortage of is good goaltending. They are aquiring netminders like they are going out of style. Lucky number seven today.

72. Storm Man says:

Have a good core of Hab fans here in Calgary, Plus the fact some of my friends from my home town in Quebec are here for Easter weekend could be a case of Gray Goose going down as it’s game night here Saturday also.

73. Storm Man says:

Peterborough lost in the first round of the playoffs 4 stright GP 4 GAA 2.77 SV 925. season stats GP 59 GAA3.68 SV901

74. Favorite Son says:

Good question…they didn’t mention Lapierre. Carcillo came in second. No surprise there either. I’m glad he’s still out tonight. Although the Flyers don’t have a shortage of guys like him.

75. deuce6 says:

I hope that last statement was made with tongue in cheek..

76. HUDSONHAB says:

Two good point’s 33 but MAB was brutal, scarrrrrry.

Hab4life

77. ThirtyThree says:

Take the two points, and RUN.

Good job, Halak!

Pouliot needs to get some fire in the belly. Same for Gomez. They are just going through the motions.

They should keep MAB on defense.

78. adam76 says:

That is a little extreme.

79. CHsam says:

careful what you wish for buddy.

80. jrshabs1 says:

Is there any need? Happy Easter!!

81. JD_ says:

Damn. And here I was hoping for an infarction caused by an arterial thrombosis borne of a latent endothelial cell injury.

While we’re on the subject of seeking immediate medical attention…

82. avatar_58 says:

I really hope that isn’t a wish that they lose just to make JM look bad and prove a point. I want a win regardless of who’s in net.

83. Storm Man says:

I can only wish he would have a heartattack guess I need to work harder on my Martin voodoo doll

84. badbalance says:

If Halak lets in 5 goals tonight,, JM will start bashing the team in front of Halak…

I hope JM gets a heartattack or something, I hope he’s gone after this season.

85. Miltie01 says:

Really? Sometimes i just have to wonder.

86. christophor says:

what’s going through your head?

87. SeriousFan09 says:

Nucks lead their division though and the chances that the Avs or the Lames will advance ahead of them this time of the year are about zero, they are pretty much guaranteed the No. 3 spot.

88. TomNickle says:

Yeah but stranger things have happened.  If they keep playing the way they have defensively, who can they beat?

Saw you were pretty active on that Martin/Price thread today.  What do you think about Martin’s reaction?

89. deuce6 says:

See, that is what I am getting at..He is useless on the 4th line..What if we don’t get a PP? or one PP?

Is it worth having such an inept useless player out there taking away the ice time of a REAL 4th line energy guy?

90. Off-side says:

Then why on earth put him on defense?  It’s a no-brainer.  Put the man where he does wonders – offense.  Hello????

91. SeriousFan09 says:

Didn’t like it at all, a coach should sometimes stand up for his guys and that was a good opportunity to call out what was ridiculous fan behaviour, saying yes the team for most part had a disappointing game, but to boo the best man on the ice for the Habs was uncalled for.

92. Danno says:

WANTED:

The Philidelphia Police are asking for the public’s assistance for
    any information leading to the arrest of a masked man wearing red white
    and blue clothing last seen at the Wachovia Centre.

The suspect last seen brandishing a large stick, is charged with
    grand theft of an NHL hockey game. The masked man and his accomplice
    (also known as the Turtleneck Man) were last seen fleeing the arena
    towards the airport along with a large group who were also wearing the
    same gang colours.

Anyone with any information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at
    1-800-222-TIPS

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

93. deuce6 says:

I have been giving him that..His shot..That is all he brings to the table..MAB was brought in to play a role..Now that Markov is back, that role no longer exists…

I wouldn’t mind him if he had any ounce of defensive awareness and took a roster spot on the blue line, but he simply cannot play regular minutes in ANY situation except with the man advantage..

We simply do not have a roster spot for him, but we create one by sacrificing a MUCH better player in that 4th line role…

94. jrshabs1 says:

Shall we continue the goalie debate?

95. TomNickle says:

Couldn’t agree more.  I wouldn’t blame the kid if he was on the first thing smokin out of town on draft day.  If he stays it shows tremendous character.

96. bostonantifan says:

That would have been a brilliant move. I’m sure Leach would have been a really big asset on the power play. In case you haven’t noticed, the Habs’ major problem is that they can’t score goals. Leach wouldn’t have helped in that area at all.

97. deuce6 says:

..and I guess MAB is helping so much in that area?

At least Leach knew how to play defense..

98. SeriousFan09 says:

Koivu scores! 1-0 for the Ducks over the Canucks.

I know I should be rooting for a Canadian team over a sunbelt squad, but it’s Koivu.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Not much more. Heart is willing, brain and talent is very slow.

No! We have our #  1

101. SeriousFan09 says:

Cedrick Desjardins?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

I am with you my friend 09.

103. solomio says:

What has to happen for the Habs to clinch a playoff spot?

I mean what combination of wins / losses by any teams still in the hunt will the clinch happen?

solomio

104. SeriousFan09 says:

A miarculous win over the Sabres, taking the Islanders to sweep them for the year, playing the Canes like we give a damn would probably get us what we need.

105. wmarcello says:

Well, for us to not make the playoffs, that means that either the Rangers or Thrashers need to push us out. Looking at their record/schedule, NYR currently has the edge with 80pts and 5 games remaining. That means they can get a maximum of 90 pts. We currently have 86 pts. So, if we win 3 of our last 4, that puts us at 90 pts with more wins that NYR.

106. MontrealAtheist says:

Well, now that his suguar daddy is gone he actually needs to deliver and work for the #1 spot, something that he didn’t have to before.

107. SeriousFan09 says:

Update: Selanne scores Goal 602 in his career to make it 2-1 Anaheim, he has now eclipsed Jari Kurri’s mark of 601 goals and has scored more goals than any Finnish player in NHL history and is 17th all-time on the NHL career leaders list of goal scorers.

108. Habsone says:

I agree!

109. wmarcello says:

Against the Canes he was also a forward for most of the game, limiting the damage he could do on D. Tonight his brutal defensive play was on display for a full 20 minutes. It wasn’t pretty in the least. Halak saved his bacon a handful of times.

110. HabFanSince72 says:

The only team I would fancy our chances against in the first round are the Isles.

111. Habitant in Surrey says:

…seems to Me 90% of Our talent scouts should be located in Prague and Bratislava

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

112. newbrunswick troy says:

one common thing i keep seeing in the habs these past 10-15 games is that they are absalutly physically drained for the last 10 min. of the third period…..now that said in the early part of the season they normaly didn,t come out with a strong effort in the first but then would poor it on in the third…..

i wonder if this is a result of a system j.m has them doing or is it j.m trying to compansate for a team that is A) not propperly conditioned  or B) is small and just don,t physically have the stamina to compete for a full 60 min.

I think i have a few good points…but tell me what you guys think!!!!!

113. rogieshan says:

“We currently have 86 pts.” Actually, we have 84 pts.

114. Habitant in Surrey says:

…winning a game this way should manifest confidence not destroy it
    …but the passiveness has to go

…surviving such dirty games
    like this should say We have the capability for winning dirty games in
    the

Playoffs

…there must be a good reason WHY They are
    keeping PK Subban in Hamilton …obviously Guy Boucher must be advising
    He ain’t ‘ready’ yet …YET, from My own much more limited perspective
    PK’s offensive instincts to get the puck up ice and seek possession
    seems like the missing asset We will need to minimize this kind of
    painful (though exciting …exciting like sitting on a 50 lb keg of
    nitroglycerin type of ‘excitin’)  passive hockey Our Boyz have curiously
    resorted to lately

…I KNOW We have another gear, …so I will
    sleep tonight rationalizing We WON …and We have the capability to play
    MUCH better

…meanwhile, as I kneel and pray before I sleep
    tonight …I will ask My Lord for an extra-special Hosanna for Jaro

…One
    goaltender already Special …AND another goaltender on the cusp of
    being Special

…let’s count Our blessins I s’pose

…P.S.: …better to be a Hab Fan tonight than a Philthy Fan ? …I think so !

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

115. johnny_habs_4ever says:

Dear Carey Price,

Don’t worry about being a backup goalie for the rest of your career. It’s really not that bad.

Another fine Habs goaltender named Andre Racicot, had a long and successful career too (and a Stanley Cup ring).

Take a look at his stats:

Maybe if you play your cards, Halak will let you lift the cup in the dressing room after all the fans and media have left the building.

Love,

johnny_habs_4ever

116. wmarcello says:

Sorry, typo. Yes, we have 84 pts now, but the math was still correct… 3 more wins puts us at 90 pts which is the most NYR can accomplish.

117. SeriousFan09 says:

Is there a Fan of the Year award we can get for this guy?

118. rogieshan says:

The Flyers did to us in the 3rd period what we should’ve done to the Hurricanes the other night when we fell behind. Martin is partly at fault because he preaches a defense-first system, so the forwards are afraid to be aggressive and always dropping back. Norway and Belarus played the same, passive style in the Olympics. We haven’t had an offensive-minded coach since Jacques Demers.

119. rogieshan says:

I’m thinking even 2 more wins will clinch it for us.

120. wmarcello says:

I love that you actually have a picture of a troll as your avatar. Priceless.

121. matraque says:

Burrows or Lapierre?

I go for Burrows, any day!

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

122. wmarcello says:

Probably, but not mathmatically yet.

123. Habs84 says:

Listen, it is beyond annoying to hear what Pierre Maguire has to say. But to see people actually believe what he says is even more annoying. We ran out the greatest goalie of all time. Looks like we are running another one out. Before you sing praises about a goalie who has been in the league with no pressure, how about he wins first? Need I remind everyone of Patrick Lalime??? Andrew Raycroft?? Jon Casey? He’s 25, Carey is 22 I believe. He is winning games now, if he wins in the postseason, then lets sing and dance.

124. johnny_habs_4ever says:

The truth hurts huh?

The irony out of all this is that Carey (and his agent) will simply use all this goodwill generated by his ‘fanboys’ and find a sucker GM to sign him to a 20 million dollar contract (4 mil x 5 yrs). Cha-ching!!!

I just hope Gauthier has the nuts to pull the trigger this summer and pull the wool over another GM’s eyes.

125. Habs84 says:

Right… It’s good to know you think Jaro will carry us. Let us count all he has won thus far…

126. matraque says:

Does the fact that Halak played for the 4th best team in the world count for something?  The Olympic Tournament is not le Tournoi PeeWee de Québec.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

127. matraque says:

What about Price?

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

128. Habs84 says:

I have never been one to agree with the phrase, ” you need to be big to win”. I can point out a lot of teams that are “big” and don’t win. I liked JM from the start. I can’t say that anymore. He does not seem to have any system out there. Never calls a time-out. Never gets angry. Plays people at the wrong time. Like tonight, you call up Ryan White. If he couldn’t, I don’t know. Not Maxwell.

129. Habs84 says:

World juniors, Calder Cup, one of the youngest goalies to reach 50 wins. I wonder how Pittsburgh treated MA Fleury…

130. SeriousFan09 says:

He also lost the Bronze medal game, badly. He just had the best game of his career, but he has yet to win a championship of any stripe. Until he does, the argument for his status as a natural winner will be in question. That’s the nature of these things.

131. Habitant in Surrey says:

…Timo ! …You great for knowin’ how to pop balloons …but ya don’t have much ability recognizing a good hockey player when in front of yer schnozz

…Alexandre = uber-Laps …Burrows IS one of the guyz We are missin’ to go HARD to and crash the net, …plus being a pretty skilled guy in his own right

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

132. Habs84 says:

Umm, no it doesn’t. Are we going for the 4th best team in the NHL??? Like come onnnnn… Bottom line, only time will tell. In the end, if you guys truly are Hab fans, you will hope that we make the right decision. Once again, time will tell. No further comment, thank you.

133. matraque says:

They sent him down to the minors… That should have been done with Price.

Halak would have won the Calder Cup as well i’m pretty sure… this was more like a team effort then a one man show.  Halak got 50 wins in less games then Price i think.  Halak played extremily well in the Olympics.

Price will be good alright… He should not be playing in the NHL.  He should be owning the AHL.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

134. Habs84 says:

I always enjoyed your opinions, lol. Btw, I still have my Saku Koivu poster on my wall. Simply the best!

135. matraque says:

He lost… LOL.

I bet you were cheering for FIN during that game.  Same goes for Price… What was his name, Trevor Kidd?  Awesome junior stats… and then… well we know what happened.  Not saying it’s the same for Price.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

136. ManApart says:

Time has TOLD. The man you saw tonight, is the man who will helm this franchise for the next 10-15 years. Just thank God BG left in order to allow Halak his fair shot to show he was the #1.

137. SeriousFan09 says:

I was actually backing Finland, because of Koivu and Selanne, not because of anything to do with Price or Halak. I’ve always loved the tenacity of the Finns in these tournaments and Koivu, Selanne are two of my favourite players of all time.

138. Habs84 says:

Not for nothing, but you seem like you are unsure. You can’t say I think and i’m pretty sure. Carey got the MVP during the Calder playoffs. Jaro spent a lot of time in the minors. Anyways, have a good night to everyone.

139. SeriousFan09 says:

Crystal balls are handy things, where did you get yours?

140. Kooch7800 says:

I think it is time for some line juggling.  Gomez line has been invisible lately.  Put Cammy up there cause he is not doing much on the second line and put pouliot back on with Plek’s

141. matraque says:

I rest my case.  Thanks.

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

142. SeriousFan09 says:

Damn Canucks win in SO over the Ducks, that jackass Carlyle didn’t make Koivu one of the first 3 shooters in the SO after he scores two goals including the Game-tying goal to put the Ducks into OT, what the hell?

Battle of the backup goalies favoured Raycroft in the SO, as he actually managed to stop shots.

143. habzfan2003 says:

Some of these comments are really pathetic….

144. Caballero says:

While the rest of you are still debating which goalie will take this team to the cup one day, I am seeing a team that cannot score goals and that lacks both size and speed. Just because a brilliant goalie won a cup for this team last time does not mean that is the only way for the Habs to win a cup. Besides, I doubt Price or Halak (or Brodeur) have the talent and steel that Roy had back then. I hope Price is traded and becomes a top drawer goalie elsewhere and we get some firepower/size up front. I think it is a win win scenario. Much like Brisebois and Koivu I think Price has become too unpopular to continue playing here and if I were him I would not stay for the good of my sanity and career.

145. HABWARRIOR says:

Hey man everyone is entitled to their own opinion.Whether it be stupid,mean, or pathetic …….whatever man…..people can say what they want.

146. HABWARRIOR says:

Watching the end of the Habs and Flyers game when they had the net empty and then they iced the puck…..well,it got me thinking…..I think since the goalie waas pulled,and they iced it,i say they shouldnt have been aloud to put Boucher back in.Granted they called a T.O. but they still should have had to have the goalie pulled.The same set of skaters should have been only aloud back on since the Flyers DID and WERE the ones that iced the puck…..Goalie was on BENCH…….

…………..YAh they should implement that into the rulebook…..I dunnoo…..just something i was thinking about…..yup

147. jrshabs1 says:

The duche Mario Tremblay threw St. Patrick under the bus forcing the fans to react like morons…You can’t compare the careers of St. Patrick and Carey Price.

148. Caballero says:

Just because you love Halak does not mean you have to hate Price. They are both wearing the same colors for now. Just because Halak is having a great season does not mean Price sucks. Last I checked Halak is 2 years older. I was a huge Halak supporter and I hated Price’s attitude, but the journalists say he has been working hard and has changed so good for him. People who live and breathe hockey seem to see greatness in Price, so perhaps we should stop hating one or the other and start wondering why we can’t score goals here.

149. Caballero says:

It’s a shame Bob didn’t leave sooner; Carey seems to be a changed man since he did.

150. pablojinko says:

It’s amazing how Halak-fans are taking the same approach they took 4 years ago with Price… Just a bunch of stats and a solid season and that’s it… you put him on a throne, and handle him the keys of the whole organization to let him run it… this has Price written all over…

The guy has had an amazing season, nothing seems to go wrong with him… he earned the #1 based on his numbers,,, but the guy is human, he has lost, has let a bunch of softies in, he has been pulled from a game, just as any goalie in the league… The thing is he’s yeeeears away from being the goalie to run the team for the next 10 years, he has yet so much to prove and learn, just as Price has.

People didn’t have patience with Price and now some people are already packing his bags out of town. So next year Jaro falls in a slump and what? are people going to call for his head and demand for Desjardins to start?… the vicious loop keeps moving…

151. wmarcello says:

So since we’re past the trade deadline, does anybody know what the deal is with call-ups from the minors? Can we still call somebody up whenever we want? If so, provided Spacek is still out next game, I propose we call up Subban for a game. The team could use his offensive spark, and I think it was painfully obvious tonight that Bergeron should not play another game as a regular D-man.

152. davecessna says:

I’m calling it right now: We’re playing Buffalo in the first round, whether it’s a 2-7 or a 3-6 seeding. Miller vs Halak.

153. HabsFanInTampa says:

I hope you’re right. I don’t want to play either The Caps, Devils or Pens the first round. I like our chances with the Sabres.

154. Habscat says:

Huge win tonight. Still hate the get a lead and give up the forecheck style that we are employing right now. If it wasn’t for another stellar goaltending performance, we would have lost 6-1. I would do ANYTHING to see a Habs team with a fire-wagon coach

http://gushuecards.webs.com/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRRiyN3A0pg

155. habzfan2003 says:

Haha beautiful ^_^

156. habs4ever2894 says:

Thats a great rule, will probably see it in the near future..

157. Bugs says:

Total breakdown in the 3rd.  Puck bounced off this guy and that’n. No offence to speak of. Manhandled. Could’ve gone in any second and there was nobody on the team who could do a thing, least of which was gettin it out of our zone. Unrelenting onslaught.

So I ask: if Halak had dropped two goals in the last 3 minutes, would it have been “his fault”?

Oh, but wait a minute…he didn’t.

He held the fort. One goal-for was enough. He shut it down.

Now, yes, I know the heatbreakers we lost weren’t the Priceberg’s”fault”. Bad mojo against’m. Double-whammies. This guy pushed it in. That guy redirected it. Team couldn’t score. Sun was in his eyes, jock-strap was wrong size. Poeple behind’m were callin’m poopy-face. Wasn’t his fault that we lost. We ask impossible magic and it’s unfair to him.

In fact, guess what? It was MY fault we lost those games. Swear to gosh. Looked over the tape. Re-saw the games. It was my fault. Totally fudged up. I apologize for that. Hell, I’ll be real: I shouldn’t even be in the League.

But I doubt my incompetence woulda affected the outcome tonight… just sayin.

Just sayin that THAT’S what we’re talkin about: Impossible magic.

It’s unfair, yes. Won’t say different.

But that’s what we’re talkin about.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

Rangers not dead by a long shot!

By the looks of things the Rangers will bounce the Flyers out of a play off spot.

159. SeriousFan09 says:

Then the Caps can bounce the Rangers from the playoffs for a 2nd straight year then.

160. ManApart says:

Price and AK46 to Edmonton for 1st rounder 2010. Give it a try PG!

161. SeriousFan09 says:

Avs seem to have run out of gas, I think so many kids on the team unaccustomed to the grind of the NHL schedule is hurting them now, especialy in a compressed year.

Flames may just limp into the playoffs, which miracle of miracles, means the Sharks just might win a Playoff round.

162. Habitant in Surrey says:

…uh ? …don’t follow yer drift Timo

…don’t see ANY relevance

…MAB is a very one-dimensional Player, though, THAT one is very critically valued, and We must thank Him for coming to Our rescue early in the season …comparing a MAB & a Burrows, having many more valuable tools to bring to Our’s or the Canucks’ table is like comparing an asparagus and a kumquat

…I don’t think We cringed too much when We had Claude Lemieux helping Us win a couple Cups ..IF You are simply referring to Their relative lovability-quotients

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

163. Da Hema says:

Too soon to pull a trade trigger on either Halak or Price. I never thought I’d say this, but I would offer up Markov to some team after this season is over. As usual, when the season comes to an end, and the games matter most, Markov disappears. Our defence is shite with or without Markov, so I would be more than happy to see him traded since he is so overrated. If the Habs could get a good defenceman and centre for Markov, the team would be foolish not to trade him. He isn’t going to be the captain of this team anyways, especially after his decision to put the interests of Russia ahead of the Canadiens.

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

164. lavie says:

Play MAB as 4th liner and PP’s slap shot instead of a D.

165. Off-side says:

Why so hard on MAB?  He’s the only guy who scored against the ‘canes two nights ago.  He shots on dead-on.  Can we at least give him that?

166. linp says:

I would trade Hamrlik or Spacek long before I even consider Markov. By the way, we need a #1 big center and Hall doesn’t fit the bill.

167. sholi2000.com says:

I was wondering if I were the only fan to realize that Markov is a magician this time of year….”what’s that, we don’t get paid to play in the playoffs?”….poof.

They call me Shane

168. linp says:

Hockey was never fair. The forum ghost was never fair to Boston. The win is what is counted. You play the percentage.

169. sholi2000.com says:

I’d rather play the Caps than Buffalo.  Sound crazy?  Miller will get the Sabres into the third round this post season.  Theodore/Varlamov will not get the Caps far.

Montreal if they play like they did after the Oly, could upset anyone.

Hope we make the playoffs to find out.

They call me Shane

170. smiler2729 says:

Yeah well, I’ve expressed my dislike of Markov here for awhile and been tonguelashed for it. I’m not much of a Plekanec fan either…

And I never liked Bobby Smith either.

171. smiler2729 says:

And some people were in love with Cristobal Huet too after his initial seasons of success (they traded Theodore away!)… even after his crap ’06 playoff vs. Carolina, they were still upset when Mr. Gainey dealt him to Washington at the next trade deadline.

Just as easy as Price could be the next Ryan Miller ro M.-A. Fleury, Halak could be the next Huet or Cechmanek… ya never know. Keep ‘em both.

172. smiler2729 says:

What kind of team sits on their meager 1 goal lead and lets the opposition just keep comin’ at ‘em???

14-3 in Shots On Goal in the 3rd, thank the Lord Philly isn’t Buffalo, eh.

173. Fansincebirth says:

I really hope we can solidify the playoff position before we play the ‘Canes and Laffs. I’m heading to Punta Cana on Thursday and I want this thing wrapped up before I go, not having to come back and wonder if we did or if we didn’t make it in….

174. sillywalk says:

My wife asked exactly that; why were they allowed to put the goalie back in if the rule calls for the same men on the ice after an icing? I couldn’t answer her.

175. ccs says:

I was there last week and missed watching five games. I just went to the internet cafe on the resort paid a few dollars to get my fix of HIO and get the scores. It sucks being away from home and missing hockey at this time of the year. On the bright side if they lose there is lots of free booze to drown your sorrows in. Have fun in Punta Cana.

176. Fansincebirth says:

Is that a shot of you ‘in theatre’ Chris?

I’m the sort that won’t check things once I’m down there. Wife and I went to Vegas last year and got crapped on by the kids for not checking in when we arrived…meh!

I gave up the drink 23 years ago after reaching professional status so if I really really have to, I’ll drown my sorrows in the sun, beach and scenery….

177. habs4_25th says:

Your right the diving players to keep the puck out, the clearing of the zone on the PK, and the counless pucks that just slid behind Halak, with any tap would’ve gone straigt in behind him.  Funny how they say they don’t play different in front of Halak then they do in front of Price, they are full of it.  They look like a team that wants to win when Halak is in net, and When Price is in net they are the break down team, that doesn’t block the shots or clear the puck.  It’s too bad we have to ruin a career of such a promising Goalie.

“To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be it yours to hold high.”

178. deuce6 says:

I wish we had have kept Leach instead of MAB..Another gem of a move by Habs management..

179. wmarcello says:

If Montreal plays like this tomorrow, they will be absolutely annihilated by Buffalo. If they meet in the playoffs (a big “if”), Ruff will annihiliate Martin. Same with Lemaire.

180. Habsone says:

Man we looked bad last night!  Thank God for Halak!  Martin needs to start being a coach! He sure doesn’t like calling time outs!  Go Habs Go!

181. TomNickle says:

Kipper would be a bit of an x-factor in that series playing the team that traded him away.

Vancouver could get that 8th spot if things continue the way they are.

182. CaliforniaHabsFan says:

After the booing, I am disappointed in Montreal habs fans, as well as the coach. Inexcusable to not step up to the plate for your goaltender. Carey won’t be with us for much longer and all those that have been putting him down will be the ones lamenting that we should have kept him.

Personally, I would have played Price tonight to send a message to the haters.

183. adam76 says:

Booing?  In Montreal?  SHOCKER!!!!

So you would have played Price to teach the fans a lesson?

184. HUDSONHAB says:

Trust me slapshot777, chasing a team around in your end is anything restful. BUT, I hope it works .lol. Hab4life

185. Eliisa says:

Jaro – I love you. Thank you singlehandedly getting that win. You deserved the shutout.

What is wrong with the rest of ‘em?

186. dufour says:

well… that was nerve-racking

“How would you like a job where when you made a mistake, a big red light goes on and 18,000 people boo?” Jacques Plante

187. christophor says:

now only a dismal 4 games will keep us out of the playoffs

188. sholi2000.com says:

Way to go Halak!

Canadiens were terrible in the last 30 minutes.

They call me Shane

189. MontrealAtheist says:

That was quite a pitiful performance in the 3rd period, but thanks to Jaroslav Halak we still got away with the W in regulation.

190. Off-side says:

Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out.  Halak is a hero.  This team is a one-man show.  Gil:  is he playing drunk?

191. naweed235 says:

Anyone else heading to the emergency room to get their hearts checked?

MAN… did Jaro steal another one or what? WOW>…

192. sailor2963 says:

WOW, what a game from Halak!  Let’s hope none of the Habs fans at the game boo Halak when he is named the first star.  Still troubling the lack of offensive chances by the forwards.

193. mrgordon says:

A win is a win is a win.

Nice early rest in the 3rd there, and onto the next one…

not counting a ridiculous Halak performane, there were great games from Moore, Gorges, and particularly O’Bryne.

The 3rd wasn’t pretty but no matter how you splice it, they leave with 2 pts.

194. savethepuck says:

They”ve been consistently horrible in the 3rd lately. Why?

195. habs03 says:

yup and im only 22

196. deuce6 says:

Ask Jacques Martin..But then again, he wouldn’t know either…

Good coaches adjust, bad coaches stick status quo..

197. TomNickle says:

GREAT GAME FOR JARO

One guy that I hope every Hab fan appreciates tonight as much as I do is Tom Pyatt.

The best player without the puck tonight.  He has come leaps and bounds since being called up.  He is fantastic in the neutral zone and has now developed an NHL shot.  Hopefully he turns into the gem of the Gomez trade.

198. habs03 says:

Now I kno the team doesn’t want Subban up here this year, kidna useless to last a pro year for only some part of the year. But I hope a bulldog D-man is on his way to Mtl, MAB cannot play D, if not play with 5 D-men and rotate.

199. Mikey_39 says:

Ça sent la coupe!!!!!

I want a new coach…Whenever we are in the lead he ends up trying to play to conserve the lead, which works out about half the time.  It really grinds my gears.

200. jimmy shaker says:

Tommy, I think we can put that tired thing to rest……..and for everyone else……Jaro has to run the table now.  Tomorrow, tues, thurs. and Sat. Just like I mentioned today…….these 5 games (now 4)  are Jaro’s! Tonight it was Philly vs Jaro.  Why can’t the team push back?  MAB  on D, sure it was a little bit of an adventure…..but he did get an assist and play decent I thought! First game on the D in a while, remember.  But,  MAB keeps on getting points, Jaro keeps on getting wins!

SHaker

201. HABZ24 says:

HAL-AK,HALL-AK,HALLL-AK !! ok habs mangement this should seal the deal as to who to go with he rest of the way and playoffs!! no questions asked. awesome performance by halak shows once and for all he’s the man. nail prices butt to the end of the bench.period. good news we didnt rest after 40 mins,played hard 60 mins.only few shots in third period but sealed the deal.need to score more five on five obviously. go habz go !!

202. mrgordon says:

RE: The 3rd Period

The Habs were furiously dominated in the second half of the game, but Halak continued to be the answer. But doesn’t it seem like so so many games end up that way? (…where the team with the one goal lead just continues to get out-everythinged until either the goalie breaks or the game ends up tied…)

I’m not trying to give the Habs a pass for a poor 3rd period, but just pointing out that sometimes the old human nature thing plays itself out. I think that if this wasn’t true, sports and life in general wouldn’t be so filled with seemingly unexplainable occurrences such as Jaro Halak somehow stealing that 2 pts!

203. HabsFansince49 says:

Can Halak score goals? How embarrassing! We won thanks only to Halak. The rest – Gomez, Gionata, Cammellari and a group of no names – would not compete with the kids playing road hockey outside my door.

JM – we had a coach in junior high school hockey who was actually the janitor in his day time job; he knew more about coaching than Jacques in the Bean Stalk.

Why has this great organization fallen so low to allow a imposter (speaks properly and has good posture) like Gainey and a bird like Martin run the joint. Gainey is gone but the bird is still here.

204. TomNickle says:

Can’t play 5 defensemen this time of year and expect to win.  Too long of a season for the guys to have legs when everyone would be playing 20+ minutes.  It would catch upto them late in games and in the playoffs.  If Spacek can’t go tomorrow somebody will be called up in the morning.

205. slapshot777 says:

The only thing I can think of why the Habs didn’t do anything in the third is that they were saving themselves for Buffalo on Saturday. Lol

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

206. christophor says:

i dont know what game you were watching if you think MAB was ok back on D. There were at least 3 or 4 brutal giveaways, not to mention at least that many last game.

207. Brown_Hab_Fan says:

Honestly watching this game tongiht just proved that Price has no luck whatsoever….don’t get me wrong…JARO is JARO and played his Fffin heart out…it just seems like he gets the better bounces…but then some people say you make your own bounces…it all depends on how you choose to see it…I love Carey, I love Jaro…they are both amazing quality goalies…I’m just extremely concerned about our teams inability to score…JUST SHOOOT MORE!!!

208. TomNickle says:

Shaker, Jaro was not tired tonight I will concede.  That doesn’t mean he wasn’t earlier in the week ;).

Bergeron didn’t play well buddy, can’t leave him back there with those minutes tomorrow night.  I’m very interested to see what line Tom Pyatt is on tomorrow night.  DON’T BE SURPRISED IF HE PLAYS WITH GOMEZ AND GIONTA, you heard it here first!

209. TomNickle says:

If you think that team played hard for 60 minutes you were listening and not watching.

210. christophor says:

no, i think i heard it and saw it first during the game today.

211. slapshot777 says:

I hope that is sarcasm, either that or you are drunk or stoned and didn’t watch this game. The Habs were lucky to play 30 minutes. They get 60 minutes after playing 2 games.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

212. HUDSONHAB says:

There is too much space between the Habs forwards and the oppositions d-men in the defensive end. They collapse down and are running into each other and when the puck goes back to the point they can’t get there.

Hab4life

213. wmarcello says:

They must have deemed that the Flyer never had control of the puck between MAB and AK. I believe the Flyer touched it, but perhaps not enough to be considered control.

214. TomNickle says:

Pouliot started the game with them Christopher.  Pyatt will be moving there fulltime as of tomorrow night.

215. christophor says:

hopefully the ice is better or pouliot gets his skates checked or whatever else was the problem that kept him on his pants for half the game

216. deuce6 says:

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the room after that farce..I hope Jaro laid into them..They deserve it..

217. christophor says:

pouliot didn’t finish the game with them, tom. and it’s ‘christophor’. no worries though.

218. TomNickle says:

Did I say that he did?

219. christophor says:

anyone else here think pronger is the dirtiest player in the NHL?

he would by no means be tolerated if he wasn’t as talented as he is.

220. Billyboy says:

Is there any way we can keep Halak and 4 other current players and ship the rest, including Martin, to some bush league team for free. Then replace them with the Bulldogs including their coach

221. deuce6 says:

Send Maxwell down and bring up Weber or Carle..Nail MAB to the bench..For what he brings to the table (a big shot on the PP that he rarely let’s go, anymore)  it isn’t worth it…Pyatt is 10 times the forward MAB is…Enough with that experiment..

222. homerbowen says:

I would welcome him as a Hab and I’m guessing you would too

223. lavie says:

No, in the world.

224. daveho29 says:

“Jaques in the bean stalk” LOL

225. deuce6 says:

I wouldn’t…He is one of the most overrated players in the NHL..He is on par with Gill when he is skating backwards..

226. christophor says:

nope. but pyatt was playing on that line in the third. you just made it sound like you had an original idea.

i actually didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. just making a further point to show you might be right. i think you’ve gotten too used to heated debate.

227. HABWARRIOR says:

So my big question is where the F*** is that TIMO????Where’s all the negativity????You only come out to dis the boys when they lose i guess.

228. wild flower says:

Halak was great no question, however there were other good to fine performances by Habs players tonight. They needed atleast one goal and for that thank AK 46, who also had some nice battles with Pronger.

229. luca says:

Jm is an embaresment with the sytem that he plays he should honestly go lick HALAK and Price is feet, more halak lol but thank them he still has a fricken job what a useless piece of crap that guy

230. camel_larry says:

I believe he’s lurking in boone’s game blog.

231. christophor says:

not for the price they paid for him.

232. HABWARRIOR says:

J.Halak for NHL mvp!!!!!!

233. mrhabby says:

count me in..supreme douche bag..scum actually.

234. noelsroyce says:

Wow – Halak was the only one who came out to play tonight! Thank God for him! I have a feeling Carey just has bad luck b/c a lot of the shots that could’ve gone in for Philly, didn’t. I know I’m thankful!

Someone earlier said that we’re not a playoff team. I hope we can step up our game and BE a playoff team. Although Carey also plays his ass off, I think the smarter/safer choice is to go with Halak for the remainder of the season. He played incredible tonight!

~Erin

235. mrhabby says:

on boone’s page throwing out the usual garbage.

236. TomNickle says:

No hurt feelings here.  Just glad to see the kid got rewarded and predicted a more consistent showing on that line.

237. habs03 says:

Im guessin you saw the elbow he gave Gionta, big ups for Pouliot for giving Pronger one back!

238. J. Ambrose says:

Pronger was selected dirtiest player in the league by his fellow players in the league. That says it all.

239. wmarcello says:

How Martin plays Bergeron for 20 minutes tonight (2nd most ice-time among D) boggles the mind. He was absolutely atrocious, making at least half a dozen massive blunders. And playing passive for 30 minutes with a 1-0 lead? Does Martin have no memory whatsoever? We’ve been burned countless times this year playing that way. We need a real coach.

240. jimmy shaker says:

I think we’ll just agree to disagree on the Jaro handle……Ya MAB was a little shaky……but I’ll give him some slack being that it was his first game on D in forever…….He did make the breakout pass on Pleks goal though……Just like I say about Jaro that he get’s the W’s ……MAB seems to be steadily getting points.  Maybe Spacek can pass that virus onto Hammer and he’ll miss tomorrow night.  I think JM will get Poully back there tomorrow…..he just couldn’t stand up out there…I don’t know what was wrong.  But he will be on a very short leash by JM.  Pyatt was decent…..4th line was decent….3rd line was decent…….but I have no idea how they just fall into a shell and not have the jam or balls to push back……just sucks!

Shaker

241. homerbowen says:

I agree, MAB should be on the power play only and gone next year when PK moves up.

242. deuce6 says:

Still, hardly anything to brag about..lol He did nothing..

243. J. Ambrose says:

He doesn’t even belong on the PP. He can’t qb the PP, can’t carry the puck into the zone, and he doesn’t shoot anymore. He is a waste of bench space.

244. wmarcello says:

Yes, but if Halak wasn’t on fire, MAB could have been directly responsible for about 3 goals. I was watching him the D closely all night. He was beyond embarrassing.

245. christophor says:

Agreed. Now if we could only package his drive and pouliot’s skill and size, we’d have one of Pierre’s monsters.

246. RiverviewCanadien says:

I wouldn’t call them out on that…makes you wonder now though, he did this last season and 2 seasons ago (getting the team to playoffs solely on goal-tending), what can this guy do come playoffs, will get better, if so, WOW!

247. TomNickle says:

They’re coached into a shell Shakes.  One forecheck in the entire 3rd period.  I said 2 minutes into the frame, here comes the 2-3 with no forechecker, and in it came.

On the Martin not backing Price thing.  I would be just as livid if it were Halak, Bergeron, Lapierre, etc.  When you are a coach, your players are YOUR PLAYERS.  It doesn’t make a difference how they play, you stand up for them.  How can they have confidence in themselves if nobody in their organization will stand up for them?  Martin is an absolute joke for this and I have no use for him from today forward and I can guarantee that coaches and executives around the league are disgusted with him right now.  Just because he couldn’t make it as an NHL goalie doesn’t mean that talented players who could should get hung out to dry by their coaches.

248. mr.a. says:

do u mean gill was playing his old awful self, or better than usual?

249. Bones says:

Didn’t he get an assist tonight ?

250. deuce6 says:

How? AK stripped the Flyer with the puck and fed it in front..

251. habs03 says:

WOOOOOOOW WOOOOOOOOOOOW YESSSSSS!!!

Ok the flyers wanted it wayyyyyy more than us. Someone needs to step up, that was awful!!!!!!!!!!!

252. deuce6 says:

Nobody wanted it more than Halak..Can we please have enough of the MAB experiment? Great transition tonight with him back there, eh? He caused more heart attack passes than anything..

Team, as a whole played bad, save our goalie…We need the guys to get their heads out of their asses and start getting up for these stretch games..

253. homerbowen says:

For what their paid how many points did they get? All 3 were bounced around and unable to control the puck hence 0 points.

254. TomNickle says:

Putting something in bold letters doesn’t make what you say true.  Gionta wasn’t bounced around at all as evidenced by Pronger elbowing him in the head in the corner and him not going down or being taken off the puck and the other two don’t go to areas where they can be bounced around, I’m sorry but your theory is tremendously flawed.  Hating Bob Gainey doesn’t make your idea true.

255. Clutch10 says:

embarrasing is right there is no way JM is back next year.

256. FuzE_gus says:

I don’t care how this game ends…the Habs are NOT a playoff team…this 3rd period is embarrasing….except for Halak of course…15 minutes without a single shot…bring up the AHL team…what a farce….

With Regards from FuzE_gus

257. JohnnyBEast says:

Wow Xtra, you need to check yourself. Speaking of belittling, you had to write out 9 things for ‘Price lovers’ to say. You say they care about Price not the team, who do you, care about if you are ripping the fans and Price apart. He is a part of the team. And more often than not plugs who accuse others of not knowing anything about hockey, no little of the game themselves. The team just won a huge game and is on their way again tonight. Why be so negative, especially at a time like this. By writing that list you contradict the majority of your points. I do love Price as well as Halak as long as they are on the my Habs I will cheer for them and not put down either. Here is something to think about Mr. Hockey, with Halak in the Habs have average half a goal for more than when Price is between the pipes. Just saying maybe things are bouncing better for Halak then Price. Halak is winning, that is what matters so keep riding him.

PS Nice caps lock.

258. Habitant in Surrey says:

…LOL ! Stephen

…don’t always agree with You, but this was a good chuckle to begin My read of The HIO Mental-asylum News !

…hopin’ We ALL are gonna be in a better mood after tonight’s game than that masochistic experience last night

…Go Habs !!! Go ! …eh ?

Habitant means PASSIONATE HOCKEY

259. Xtrahabsfan says:

I missed the game and the Hydro was out all day/night but I

knew my boy Halak would be the SHISSEL on a pressure game for the PLAY-OFFS . Now for all you Halak doubters and Price bag kissers repeat after me :1) I care about Price AND NOT ABOUT  THE Habs .2)I KNOW NOT THE GAME OF HOCKEY! 3)I JUST LIKE TO ARGUE ! (And every time I do I’m usually wrong ,DAM-IT! 4)I know not the game of Hockey(for all you Halak dude’s who didn’t hear me before)5)I like to belittle other folks ,it make’s me feel better bout myself 6)I have a wolf-pack mentality and CAN NOT THINK INDEPENDENTLY! 7) I HATE THE STATEMENT “How does it feel too want !8) Ohhhhhhh,I hate that euro Halak! 9)COULD YOU SLEEP IN MY BED FOR ME,I JUST LIKE TO MAKE IT!………………Now there’s more for you dreamers but first KEEP REPEATING THIS ONE TILL IT BORE’S YOU TOO,lol

260. sholi2000.com says:

TSN muted, and listen to CJAD.

They call me Shane

261. Storm Man says:

TSN HD ;)

262. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

Had a couple of guys over for the game the other night, and it was unanimously RDS, and we’re all Anglos.

263. WestHab says:

so let the debate begin. RDS or TSN?

264. christophor says:

key consideration:

is pierre mcguire between the benches tonight?

265. CHsam says:

I would love to see how Guy Boucher would handle Carey Price.

266. B says:

Price won’t be going to Hamilton :)

267. slapshot777 says:

All I can say is ” WOW ” thank-you Mr Halak, because the Habs didn’t come out for the third period. I think they sent out the maintenance crew in Philadelphia.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

268. Billyboy says:

Hold the torch high ???   This team couldn’t lift it off the floor. Except for Halak, Markov and a couple ofothers this group is a bush league team  Can you imagine where they would be without Halak and yes to a lesser extent, Price, b  ehind the Maple Laffs. And tell how far in the minus column must Laps go before he is shipped out. I believe he wears blinders and can only see the goalie because no matter where he shoots from, it’s at the goalie. Notice the goalie rarely has to move an inch. Can someone please tell him that pucks can’t go through people  And to Martin … Please, please don’t use Bergeron on defense.

269. somerslovesthehabs says:

no call ups with SK and Metro out???

SOS—PK…WE NEED YOU NOW

Is Maxwell in tonight?

270. Storm Man says:

Who could we call up? yes yes I know PK PK PK he is not a forward we need some jam in this lineup, Does GSP know how to skate?

271. BJ says:

It would be a great time for #13 to start putting in a couple.

272. slapshot777 says:

I hope so, Cammy has done nothing since his return.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

273. Shublips says:

It is unbelievable how the focus remains so much on the Canadiens goaltenders while that is actually the only part of the team that is firing on all cylinders.

The Habs simply can’t score and that does NOT bode well for the playoffs.

Here’s my article about last night’s game:

274. LeeFree says:

You’re so right there. In all of my 43 years of faithfully following my Habs, I have NEVER seen the likes when it comes to the lack of knowledge in regards to this fan base. It’s at the point of embarrassment now. Many haven’t a clue as they hit that submit button.

275. CHsam says:

HAH! touche

276. CHsam says:

HAH! touche

277. HUDSONHAB says:

McGuire gets on my nerves, he will be have his nose so for up the butts of Pronger, Richards et al, it will be sickening.

Hab4life

278. somerslovesthehabs says:

So Subban wouldn’t help our D???  Ok, I knew we were better off with the veteran presence of Gill Spatch and Hammer, good call

279. Storm Man says:

Did you read the post??? we are missing 2 forwards not Dmen as for Gill and Spatch they have played well Hammer not so much, Here is 35 cents for your call :)

280. slapshot777 says:

Why are we siting back, same story every effing game.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

281. SLONCOLD says:

my god…. the habs have to get the puck out of their zone and help halak out a bit…

282. Clutch10 says:

take a fing time out…..

283. habbyone says:

JM’s waithing for Philly to tie it up.

284. framptunes says:

PLAYOFFS?? PLAYOFFS?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!

IF THAT’S THE EFFORT WE SEE WHY BOTHER?????????????

285. Clutch10 says:

What is wrong with this team in the third period? I’ve never seen a team dominated  more 5 on 5… ridiculous

286. SLONCOLD says:

they look tired or something or philly is just that fast.

287. deuce6 says:

Coaching..

288. homerbowen says:

Now that I have finished throwing up I would like to add my usual;

The three tiny tots were bounced around all night and spent a lot of time picking themselves off the ice. No disrespect they just happen to be too small to compete on the same team. Over the summer two of the tree must be moved if we are to get out of this hole. All that money on three salaries and they just can’t score. If McGuire thinks Pleks is worth $6M on the open market then see ya cause he ain’t worth it.

We played what I consider to be a mediocre team with lousy goalkeeping yet we barely scrapped by.

I hate to say it but just maybe Burke has the right idea………hmmmmmm guess we’ll find out on the last night.

289. TomNickle says:

How did they get bounced around.  Gionta was mucking it up in the corners all night.  Gomez stayed to the outside to distribute the puck, but that’s his game and Cammalleri was in the middle of the ice whenever he was out there.

Which of those three were spending the game laying on the ice due to contact?

290. deuce6 says:

Who ever says this team plays better hockey in front of Halak has rocks in their head..PHI is playing playoff hockey, we are spinning our tires…How do you only score 1 goal against a goalie like Boucher? The guy is a beer league goalie, FFS..He has zero rebound control, but because we are a bunch of pu$ies, we don’t get 2nd chances..

How Pronger gets away with what he gets away with, I will never know…

Martin can’t adjust..Every game we are winning going into the 3rd, we get dominated..Good coaches adjust..We don’t..

291. nastyHABit says:

GET OUT OF TOWN……..FAST

292. J. Ambrose says:

Whaddya think? Philly wishing they’d made that deal for Halak with Gainey?!

293. nastyHABit says:

PITYFULL…….JUST PLAIN PITIFULL……..THEY ALL SHOULD BE KISSIN’ HALAK’S ARSE AFTER THAT ONE.I HAD A HEART ATTACK IN FEB. SO IF THEY SQUEAK INTO THE PLAYOFFS I’D BETTER KEEP MY NITRO HANDY

294. camel_larry says:

that was disgusting.

HUGE win…

but disgusting. Barring Halak, that’s a 5-1 game for philly.

295. habsperspective says:

Aslong as the habs dont lose, and rangers win, its all good, kinda expect them to lose, especially since the Isles trounced the Flyers last night, coming back home, yadda yadda!

Montreal usually loses in those scenarios, but 4 loses in a row, starting with Jersey last Saturday should finish the season for them, Buffalo is not going to lose to both Toronto, and Montreal in the same week, that would be like hell freezing over.

And I certainly dont see the Habs winning all 3 games next week, and if, and of course it will, comes down to the Habs having to win the last game of the season, to make it…well lets justs say I wont be watching.

Happy Easter Evryone!

296. RiverviewCanadien says:

Great job Halak!

GO HABS GO!

297. daveho29 says:

On a unrelated note.

Fellow Habs fans, I am trying to raise fund for diabetes association of Canada.

I want to ask the moderators of this site if I can post the information on how to donate without being considered spamming.

The funds go directly to team diabetes,I collect absolutely nothing.

If You do not allow this, I will delete this post.

298. LeeFree says:

These games are a recording, just a recording. How else can you explain these melt downs, game in, game out?

299. SLONCOLD says:

lol wonder if philly would trade a second round pick for a win tonight?