Game 78: Canadiens move into sixth place

Flyers goalie Brian Boucher stops a shot by Canadiens’ Brian Gionta during first-period action Friday night. Ron Cortes/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Dominic Moore | Tomas Plekanec | Jaro Halak | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Jaroslav Halak made 35 saves, including 14 in the third period, as the Canadiens weathered a Flyers storm in Philadelphia to hold on for a 1-0 win on Friday night. Tomas Plekanec scored his 24th goal of the season 9:25 into the first period on a nice pass from Andrei Kostitsyn from behind the Flyers net. Plekanec was left pretty much alone and was able to put the puck into the open side of the net behind Brian Boucher. The Canadiens, holding on to the one-goal lead, mustered only 3 shots on Boucher in the third period as the Flyers, who had played on Wednesday night, dominated the final 20 minutes of play. Halak withstood the Flyers onslaught for his fourth shutout of the season.

• Key Moments: The Flyers throught they had tied the game in the third period, but the goal was waved off because the puck was hit with a high stick.

• What It Means: The Canadiens move into sixth spot in the Eastern Conference with 84 points and a 38-32-8 record for 84 points. They are two points up on the Flyers and Bruins, but Boston has a game in hand.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens have four games remaining in the regular season starting Saturday night at home against the Sabres. They hit the road for games against the Islanders and Hurricanes next Tuesday and Thursday, respectively, before warpping up the season against the Maple Leafs on April 10.

1. deuce6 says:

Who was saying Bergeron should play top pairing minutes again? He is a BADDDD defensman..

Every time he is out there, he has made terrible decisions and cost us a great chance or an odd man rush…Can’t wait for his contract to expire..

2. habs03 says:

Man all I have to say is, we got two amazing young goalie, whoever the team decide to trade we better get a big return, and it better be a western team.

3. slapshot777 says:

Zip it don’t want to hex Halak. Let’s just enjoy.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

4. habbyone says:

Anybody else seeing the clinic that Halak’s putting on??

5. habs03 says:

Hey Jimmy Shaker, this is why I rather have Hamrlik on D instead of MAB,
    which you suggested earlier, it wasn’t the bad pinch, but late in the
    first, he was on the boards and passed it back to the slot right to a
    flyer. I love him for his point shot but he can’t play D

6. slapshot777 says:

Habs got to keep skating and for Gods sake stop making stupid pinches by the defensemen, Philly is looking fot that stretch pass.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

7. adesbarats says:

A conversation with my two year old daugther:

Daddy: Who’s going to win tonight, Montreal or Philly?

Erin: I don’t know Dadda…

Daddy: Ok, let’s put it this way. Montreal is GOOD, Philly is BAD. So, who will win, Montreal or Philly?

Erin: I don’t know Dadda…

Daddy: Hmmm, ok. Montreal is Daddy’s FAVORITE team, so who will win now, Montreal or Philly?

Erin: Oh, Philly Dadda!

Guess I should have started earlier……

8. TomNickle says:

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.  Just because yours is wrong doesn’t mean it will be held against you.

9. habs03 says:

Shaker has been hoping for MAB to play on D for a while now.

10. Devotee says:

@ Shaker & Tom

I don’t know what games you have been watching all year but Hammer is far better than Spacek on defence! IMO

11. Chuck says:

Rather than cheering for the Leafs to win, it’ll be easier on your concience to cheer the other team on to defeat.  :)

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

12. Chuck says:

I like it! “Tonya Harding” him!

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

13. TomNickle says:

Hey Shaker, sorry I didn’t respond the other day.  Had to leave quickly.

Looks like I missed quite a bit today.  Any word on whether or not the training staff can have Jaro Spacek cough all over Hammer’s meals for the next couple of days?

14. Storm Man says:

I was hoping Martin would get that virus… Oh that’s right he has had it all year.

15. Storm Man says:

I like BC have some good friends in Vancouver, I don’t know Timo but anyone named Tim is a good guy in my books;)

16. Eliisa says:

I wouldn’t say no to him being off the ice, he seems to play well against the Canadiens. Didn’t he get a hattrick last time he played the Habs?

17. jimmy shaker says:

TOO bad Hammer didn’t have the virus instead of Spacek.  Oh well, MAB on the D is all we need.

18. Eliisa says:

Is that what we are really known for as British Columbians? BC bud? :)

Don’t tell me you are Timo are best buddies.

19. SeriousFan09 says:

Wouldn’t have to be that overt or rough, Briere’s one of the most fragile players on the ice.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

20. Eliisa says:

Maybe a premeditated hit to the knee to take him out of the competition?

21. Storm Man says:

Its all the 420 the Nuck fans smoke lol. Yes a good base of Hab fans in Calgary and some that post on here;)

22. Eliisa says:

In Calgary? Really? That suprises me. I am surrounded by a bunch of lousy Canucks. Never have I seen a fanbase that jumps on a off the wagon so much.

Let’s hope our boys give us something to cheer about tonight, it’s do or die time.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Dislocated shoulder while pulling on his jersey?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. Storm Man says:

He is 6’8 btw and still growing

25. Favorite Son says:

Hmm. Doesn’t sound very promising. I think we should trade him. Thanks for the info!

26. Bugs says:

I just hope our dear Mr Brière doesn’t have an…”accident” during the game. We all know how “accidents” sometimes happen that no one can predict or forewarn, but you never know, this guy Brière could have one.

Gosh forbid, of course.

Ridiculously overhyped, call me

L.Bugs Potter, esq. Assistant-Director of St-Habbie’s Hospital for the Blind, Head Physician of Neuroflannelogy Unit, and Occupational Therapist in Habsbros Emergency Ward:

27. Eliisa says:

Lapierre seems to get under the skin very effectively – sometimes I wish he would just drop the damn gloves, mind you I did see him fight and it didn’t end happily for him. I have noticed too lately that Plekanec has been getting into it with more players.

What the Flyers seem to have a shortage of is good goaltending. They are aquiring netminders like they are going out of style. Lucky number seven today.

28. Storm Man says:

Have a good core of Hab fans here in Calgary, Plus the fact some of my friends from my home town in Quebec are here for Easter weekend could be a case of Gray Goose going down as it’s game night here Saturday also.

29. Storm Man says:

Peterborough lost in the first round of the playoffs 4 stright GP 4 GAA 2.77 SV 925. season stats GP 59 GAA3.68 SV901

30. Favorite Son says:

Good question…they didn’t mention Lapierre. Carcillo came in second. No surprise there either. I’m glad he’s still out tonight. Although the Flyers don’t have a shortage of guys like him.

31. Eliisa says:

Very true, yesterdays match ups with Philadelphia and Boston are great examples of that. I really hate hoping for the Leafs to win though, it goes against my blood and a lifetime of beliefs.

32. Eliisa says:

You actually have fellow Habs fans to watch it with? I always watch the games with fans from the opposition, it can get really messy!

Hopefully you don’t have to resort to the use of too much Grey Goose. Although, if there is a worst case scenario you can resort to it and completely forget about the game.

33. Eliisa says:

I can’t even begin to imagine why…

Did Lapierre make the cut too? He has a mouth on him as well.

34. Storm Man says:

lol yes I do have two bottles on ice for the game as Im hosting game night here tonight

35. Favorite Son says:

Toronto’s beating everyone and anyone nowadays. So it’s definitely not a sure win for Boston.