Game 78: Canadiens move into sixth place

Flyers goalie Brian Boucher stops a shot by Canadiens’ Brian Gionta during first-period action Friday night. Ron Cortes/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT

Preview | Matchups | Friday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Dominic Moore | Tomas Plekanec | Jaro Halak | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Jaroslav Halak made 35 saves, including 14 in the third period, as the Canadiens weathered a Flyers storm in Philadelphia to hold on for a 1-0 win on Friday night. Tomas Plekanec scored his 24th goal of the season 9:25 into the first period on a nice pass from Andrei Kostitsyn from behind the Flyers net. Plekanec was left pretty much alone and was able to put the puck into the open side of the net behind Brian Boucher. The Canadiens, holding on to the one-goal lead, mustered only 3 shots on Boucher in the third period as the Flyers, who had played on Wednesday night, dominated the final 20 minutes of play. Halak withstood the Flyers onslaught for his fourth shutout of the season.

• Key Moments: The Flyers throught they had tied the game in the third period, but the goal was waved off because the puck was hit with a high stick.

• What It Means: The Canadiens move into sixth spot in the Eastern Conference with 84 points and a 38-32-8 record for 84 points. They are two points up on the Flyers and Bruins, but Boston has a game in hand.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens have four games remaining in the regular season starting Saturday night at home against the Sabres. They hit the road for games against the Islanders and Hurricanes next Tuesday and Thursday, respectively, before warpping up the season against the Maple Leafs on April 10.

1. Eliisa says:

Very true, yesterdays match ups with Philadelphia and Boston are great examples of that. I really hate hoping for the Leafs to win though, it goes against my blood and a lifetime of beliefs.

2. Eliisa says:

You actually have fellow Habs fans to watch it with? I always watch the games with fans from the opposition, it can get really messy!

Hopefully you don’t have to resort to the use of too much Grey Goose. Although, if there is a worst case scenario you can resort to it and completely forget about the game.

3. Eliisa says:

I can’t even begin to imagine why…

Did Lapierre make the cut too? He has a mouth on him as well.

4. habbyone says:

Anybody else seeing the clinic that Halak’s putting on??

5. Storm Man says:

lol yes I do have two bottles on ice for the game as Im hosting game night here tonight

6. Favorite Son says:

Toronto’s beating everyone and anyone nowadays. So it’s definitely not a sure win for Boston.

7. Eliisa says:

I like it! Only one little tweak needs to be made.

Halak gets the W. For the record, I too figured Price would’ve been in net after his solid performance against the Canes.

8. Favorite Son says:

They asked a whole bunch of questions like “Who’s the most hated player in the league?”. I think Avery was the first choice for that one…

9. Eliisa says:

Haha, I appreciate your strategy. Do you pour more according to the score of the game?

10. light_n_tasty says:

Here’s my prediction from yesterday, which, it appears, is already wrong:

Prediction for tomorrow:

5-2 Habs;

Cammy 2 goals;

PP 2 goals;

1 stinker goal on whoever is in net for Philly;

Price gets the W.

11. Eliisa says:

Chuck, could you be a little more precise? I think the details are too vague ;). I don’t want it to be a close game. While it is exhilarating to watch I want to sit back and enjoy the win, knowing we will be seeded sixth. Sixth to tenth is way too tight. Especially with Boston breathing down our necks and playing Toronto tomorrow. I’ll take your score but hope it isn’t as back and forth.

12. Favorite Son says:

Oh yeah I forgot about Missaen! Where is he now? So we can start speculating on how early they’re going to bring him up and ruin his career.

13. Eliisa says:

Based on last night? Ouch. Raycroft should’ve been in net.

14. Storm Man says:

csnphilly.com

15. notbigbird says:

There’s not much point in this and most surveys. In this case, it would be correct if it said overpaid rather than overrated. Otherwise, all it means is that the players think they rate him correctly while the rest of us think he’s great. In fact, as this site will bear out, most fans don’t think he’s great. Most of us seem to think he’s okay but overpaid. Everybody simply thinks that everybody else thinks he’s great. (Okay, I think I’ve lost track and have to jump off this merry-go-round. lol )

16. Eliisa says:

My thoughts exactly.

17. Tis Himself says:

Stevie Begin was amazing in his ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in big games!

18. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

P.K. Subban would be in the lineup today and do quite well in Habs jersey if we hadn’t already sunk 21 million into a defensive core that has no jam. Other than Markov we are inept on the backend. P.K.would generate offense on the PP and 5 on 5 right now.

19. Storm Man says:

Lot’s of Gray Goose and pray for a good win.

20. Storm Man says:

I would think so but it was a Laff that was number 1 lol

21. Chuck says:

Flyers get the first one, Habs reply, Flyers get a second, and Habs tie it up again, and add the go-ahead midway through the third. They then hold on and pot one into an emply net before Philly gets one late, again with the goalie pulled in favour of the extra attacker. 4-3 final.

_____________________________________

Cheer for the crest on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back.

22. SeriousFan09 says:

Bit of professional jealousy I suspect over his monster contract.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

23. Storm Man says:

Sports Illustrated did the survey, All of the UFA’S that came here this year said the reason was that Gomez was here. I would bank none of his current teammates would say he is over rated

24. matraque says:

Hey, do you have the link to that survey?  I thought Luongo was the most over rated…

——

Komisarek: 0 – 4 – 4 (-9)

25. Storm Man says:

Sports Illustrated did the survey, All of the UFA’S that came here this year said the reason was that Gomez was here. I would bank none of his current teammates would say he us over rated

26. Eliisa says:

Habs must have fire in their blood and something to prove after that sad display against Carolina. I am going to say they win 4-2. Cammalleri and Pouliot are both going to get one.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

27. ooder says:

please that guy can’t even carry Jassen Missaein’s jock

——————

“I like what I’m seeing right now,” assessed Markov. “We’re not perfect, but we’re trying to be.”

28. Eliisa says:

Nice work, Sunshine. I absolutely agree. It’s simply convenient for angry fans to blame the goalie – he is only one man after all.

29. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey! Knock that off! It’s all about Robert Mayer in the ECHL, Sanford and Desjardins are being unfairly favoured in Hamilton while this guy gets ignored!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

30. ooder says:

another one of you dirty desjardins fan boys… give it a rest… only Sanford will take us to the promised land

——————

31. Eliisa says:

Interesting, I am surprised they would ask the players this. I wonder how many are current or former teammates.

32. SeriousFan09 says:

Boullion scared me, every time I saw him pass in his own zone.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. SeriousFan09 says:

Was there a question about which GM is the biggest blowhard? Toronto could finally come in No. 1 for something.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

34. ckckckc says:

is that sarcasm?

~live and let live~ GO HABS GO!

Ck

35. Storm Man says:

272 NHL players surveyed said Scott Gomez is the 3rd most over rated player in the NHL guess we need to boooo him more