Game 77: Canadiens snap skid

HamrlikgoalHIO

Canadiens defenceman Roman Hamrlik (left) scores Montreal’s first goal in more than three games during the first period on Tuesday night against the Thrashers. Allen McInnis, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog, Quick Hits, About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Scott Gomez I and II | Carey Price | Roman Hamrlik | Brent Sopel | Brian Gionta | Mathieu Darche

• At a Glance: After more than 199 minutes without scoring a goal, the Canadiens once again found the back of the net on Tuesday night for a 3-1 win over the Atlanta Thrashers, snapping a three-game losing streak. Defenceman Roman Hamrlik was the one to break the goalless streak 12:56 into the opening period when he went to the net in support of his forwards and found a loose puck in the crease and tapped it aross the goal line. It took only 11 seconds for the Canadiens to score again, with Mathieu Darche accepting a Scott Gomez pass and sliding the puck between Ondrej Pavelec’s pads. Nik Antropov scored for the Thrashers 8:35 into the third period on a controversial play. Hal Gill was cut by a high stick, but the play went on and Antropov scored. The four on-ice officials consulted each other for several minutes after the goal,  but decided to let the goal stand and didn’t call a penalty. Andrei Kostitsyn put an end to some anxious moments when he scored an empty-net goal with a shot from the Canadiens’ side of the red line with 1:20 to play. Carey Price made 27 saves for his 35th win of the season.

• What It Means: The Canadiens earn their 41st win of the season, improving to 41-29-7 for 89 points, moving two points clear of the New York Rangers for sixth place in the Eastern Conference. The Canadiens are also four points ahead of the Buffalo Sabres, who lost to the Maple Leafs 4-3 on Tuesday night and remain seven points ahead of the Hurricanes, who sit in ninth place.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play the Hurricanes on Wednesday night, then return home for a few days before heading to New Jersey to take on the Devils on Saturday night.

1. habs001 says:

right now we would be 9th in the west division

2. dbsanfte says:

Defence is back to normal. Offence is still limping along a bit, but the heart has returned.

These guys need passing drills. That’s what’s gonna kill us. And Subban needs to take more point shots on the PP. Special teams was pretty lackluster.

• habs001 says:

pk hardly played on the pp…atlanta is the 3rd worst goal against team in the nhl …we are the 23rd highest scoring team in the nhl same as last year…

3. Seps says:

If we win tomorrow I believe we clinch a playoff spot, however I wouldn’t mind playing washington first round again instead of Boston. I just think the Habs need a whole lot of momentum to go in and beat Boston and beating the Caps again would be a great way to get that momentum. Now whether the Habs finish 6th or 7th ( I have enough confidence in the team that they will not come in 8th) remains undecided and also Boston and Washington are now in a battle for 2nd, but I’d much rather play Washington mainly because if someway we manage to beat Boston 1st round, I dont see us having enough left to do anything else. If you think about the last 4 series played between the Bruins and Habs, not one of the teams has made it past the next round.

4. habs001 says:

if we cannot score pp goals this team has no chance vs any of the top teams…..of the top 13 teams in the east only new jersey has scored fewer goals…

5. ICELIZARD says:

Quirky facts… In 1993, that Habs acquired a stay at home defenceman near the trade deadline to bring experience, a winning attitude and to stabilize there defence core… His name was Rob Ramage, wore # 5, was 34 years old, 6’2″ & 205Lbs, shot right and won the Stanley Cup with a Western Conference team (Flames in 1989).

In 2011, the Habs acquire Brent Sopel near the trade deadline… Wears #55 (since #5 is no longer available), is 34 years old, is 6’2″ & 205Lbs, shoots right and won the Stanley Cup with a Western Conference team (Blackhawks in 2010). Was brought in for the same reasons as Ramage…

If I take it a step further, the 1993 Habs had 3 centres under 6′ tall: Lebeau, Savard, Dipietro… The 2011 Habs also have 3 centres under 6′ tall: Gomez, Plekanec, Desharnais. The captain in 1993 wore #21 (Guy Carbonneau). In 2011, Gionta wears #21 and is the captain!

During the regular season in 1992-1993, Roy played over 60 games (62) & won over 30 games (31). In 2010-2011, Price has played over 60 games (68) and has won over 30 (35). During the 1993 playoffs, Montreal were the underdogs against their arch rivals (Nordiques) and finally eliminated them in 6 games after losing the first two in Quebec… This year during the NHL playoffs, the Habs will most likely play their arch rivals (Boston)… Will history repeat itself again?!

I STILL BELIEVE!

• Mattyleg says:

That’s awesome!
      Read Foucault’s Pendulum! It’s great for this stuff!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

• Jdub1515 says:

its comments like that that keep me coming back to this site

• ICELIZARD says:

And finally… In 1993, the Habs had an experienced coach named Jacques (Demers)… He coached both St-Louis & Quebec, never won the cup and never had great success in the playoffs before arriving in Montreal.

2011, Habs have an experienced coach named Jacques (Martin)… He also coached St-Louis & Quebec (as an assistant), never won the cup and never had great success in the playoffs before arriving in Montreal.

I STILL BELIEVE!

6. slapshot777 says:

I see JM finally took Plekanec off of the point on the PP. I know we didn’t score, but the PP looked a little more organized. Only thing I noticed was Mara getting some PP minutes while PK not getting much PP time. Cammy got a couple of more chances tonight. I think for him it’s just a confidence thing.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

The Hab.s played with some energy and enthusiasm this evening for a change.

The one play that got my goat was the penalty to PK for embellishing the can opener, when he had a whole lot of speed coming out of his end. Very disappointed in the call.

The other was the high stick to Gill, which was seen but not called.
    Just two calls that were incorrect for the Habs side. I did see a couple that we got away with also.

You know the speed of the game has doubled, but the weakest part of the game in the NHL today, that has not kept up to the changing game, is the refereeing.

8. Rainrocket16 says:

Ok NHL.com, The Bruins played a tired Blackhawks team who played last night, let us not give Tim Thomas too much credit!

9. joeybarrie says:

For our buddy Fig Newton.
    How many wins have the bruins had in the Playoffs in the last few seasons? How many have they lost to the Habs in the last 10?
    How many Cups? and when was the last one????????????
    I mean even Bourque had to run to Colorado to get a ring.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

10. otter649 says:

The officals now have blown high stick pentalties against The Habs via the tall & short of it – Gill & Koivu……….lol

11. fbkj says:

my record in the bell center this year is freaky

except when i take berkie, hes a bad luck charm

true story

dont struggle andrew, its the truth :)

12. joeybarrie says:

YOU KNOW…………. We have been on a slump. BUT it seems like we are out of it now. Say what you will about this being only Atlanta, but they needed this win to have any chance at the playoffs.
    Lastly, if you look at the Regular and Overtime wins over the season, the Habs are 4th in the East and only 2 away from Washington and 3 from Boston.
    Not too bad considering.
    WINS in regular and Overtime are the ONLY thing that matters in the playoffs.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• TINMAN17 says:

Didn’t the bruins lose like 7 in a row just recently?

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• Ian Cobb says:

Fag Newton.!
      Why??? You could be an interesting hockey fan, if you just wanted to talk hockey. I do not care which team you prefer. That is what makes this game so much fun, having different points of view, how this game is played. But come on, have an experience talking with , oppose to talking at.!

13. slapshot777 says:

All that matters tonight was getting 2 points. It wasn’t the prettiest game, but a game that at least is headed in the right direction. The guys did some good things tonight, a scattered lapse, but overall a good game.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

14. deuce6 says:

Meh..Feels like 2 points by default…Big W, but they showed me nothing to get excited about…Carey pretty much saved our asses, yet again…

Someone wanna let Gionta know that the wrist shot was discovered?

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

15. nastyHABit says:

I’ll Take It!

16. Psycho29 says:

PJ “Cherry-Milbury wannabe” Stock says the Habs were lucky it was Atlanta they played tonight.

17. Trisomy 21 says:

I couldn’t help but notice that Tits only got 11 minutes of ice time? I didn’t get a chance to watch the game tonight, was it his play or was this just the way JM decides to roll? cause DD has been one of our best over the last couple of months…

18. Bryan says:

As a former official myself (albeit umpiring baseball), I can understand the ref’s situation. Sometimes calls just get missed. Did they mess up? Absolutely. But let’s not jump to conclusions about the cause of it.

That being said, I’d have a much different outlook on this if Montreal didn’t win the game, haha.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

I don’t follow, 4 officials on ice, largest player on ice hit in face with stick, draws blood, no one sees it? Let’s not jump to conclusions? Sorry, this no call never happens to wings, hawks, flyers etc…..

19. Fig Newton says:

Ooooo!!! Hooray!! A goal!!! Did they take the puck out of the net and skate it around the ice as they held it over their heads?

• SBAH says:

your meds are wearing off eh?

• TINMAN17 says:

Hey Fig Newton, are you one of those rich bitch kids from Newton, MA? I bet you’re the type who looks like Pyatt in that picture after you’ve mouthed off in the wrong bar at the Southie parade, tell me I’m wrong, punk!

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

• deuce6 says:

LOL..That was actually pretty funny..

——————

Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

• joeybarrie says:

I know that you have never seen your team do this….. So i will explain… Its what you do with the Cup when you win. See its easy for me to recognize as MY TEAM has done it 24 times. But I understand bitterness is expected when your 1 goal away from the series and you COMPLETELY BLOW IT four times in a row….

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

• TINMAN17 says:

Don’t forget the “too many men game” (thanks d. cherry)…everyone in Boston knows exactly what that means

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

20. observer says:

Should have won easily if they could have put the puck in the net. Would have been a huge blow if Habs had lost late.

As at Wednesday March 30 7pm

3 Boston 76 43 23 10 96 – Max 108
    4 Pittsburgh 77 45 24 8 98 – Max 108
    5 Tampa Bay 76 41 24 11 93 – Max 105
    6 Montreal 77 41 29 7 89 – Max 99
    7 NY Rangers 76 41 30 5 87 – Max 99
    8 Buffalo 76 38 29 9 85 – Max 97

9 Carolina 76 36 30 10 82 – Max 94
    10 Toronto 77 35 32 10 80 – Max 90

Wed March 30, 2011
    NY Rangers at Buffalo 7pm
    Montreal at Carolina

Note- Habs currently hold tiebreakers if caught by NYR and/or Buffalo – regulation time wins

21. Say Ash says:

AK was first star in my books.

22. HabFanSince72 says:

The Thrashers officially eliminated. Their streak of no playoff games won continues.

23. Muckbringer says:

hats off to bill mcreary…the last of a dying breed for sure!

in lieu of my avatar “if you dont smoke Tarrlytons …F_YOU!!!!!”

24. Muckbringer says:

k, “glove” for the sake of something more than you (500,000,000) fans, please make youre peace with the great, giving hockey gods.

for us, you , and youre team mates.

in lieu of my avatar “if you dont smoke Tarrlytons …F_YOU!!!!!”

25. Muckbringer says:

its easy to say were playing well, we are, but we all know what this team is capable of. i cant wait for us to fire on all cylenders in the playoffs. it really is us v them at this point…..GO HABS GO!!!!!

in lieu of my avatar “if you dont smoke Tarrlytons …F_YOU!!!!!”

26. ZimHabwe says:

In my eyes, a Canadiens power play is just another 5 on 4. Nothing more.

27. Muckbringer says:

Craig Ramsay looks like “the wrong teacher”

in lieu of my avatar “f- you if you dont smoke Tarrlytons…”

28. Muckbringer says:

k, gomez has made $204, 365 per point (including tonight) thus far this year off the cap hit. he made without taxes $222,222 (reapeating) off the team per. anyone else wanna ask why he smiles so much?
    commissioned players anyone? why cant they get paid per point? oh, right ; unions holding evolution back again.

in lieu of my avatar “if you dont smoke Tarrlytons…F_YOU!!!!”

29. blu3chip says:

2 in 11 seconds!

30. Mad Habber says:

Hope they dont run up the score now…look what happened last time…

31. ManApart says:

Gomez is flying tonight. Why isn’t he always like this?

32. kmachabs27 says:

where can i watch the game online? i cant find it anywhere.

33. Muckbringer says:

as fast as you can say drought over!!!!

34. Kramby says:

yes yes yes yes yes

35. Kramby says:

Holly crap Price is playing good.
    Gomer can’t win a face off to save his life DD should be taking them on the PP

36. samTHEman says:

Pleky, Darche, Desharnais my 3 picks to break slump

37. adam76 says:

GO HABS GO!

38. Mavid says:

gomez..shmomez…GO HABS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

second place is just the first loser

39. Mavid says:

here is another if you still need one

second place is just the first loser

Just finished a meeting with staff and coaches from two OHL hockey clubs prior to their play off game. Pertaining to head injuries in hockey. Great meeting, and I want to watch our game so will tell you more later.

If you would like to visit our PLAY IT COOL EDUCATION PROGRAM. Where we are working with former NHL players.

Click onto playitcoolhockey.com

41. I got a Great Feeling, and it aint the booze talkin!

Go Habs Go

Shane Oliver
    Brandon, MB,Canada
    R7B 2R7
    hockey@sholi2000.com
    Ph- 204 724 8418

42. dudurules says:

I’d like to see 100% from the players and 100% support from fans… and i’d also like to see pigs fly

43. volcano62 says:

I have a good feeling about tonight! I predict a win but a tough win.

44. thehabs21 says:

ANNDDDD NO PREGAME AUDIO????? WHATS THE DEAL WITH THIS SITE

45. observer says:

Win tonight takes out much of the steam out of Carolina tomorrow night.

46. 100HABS says:

Unfortunately, I’m in Toronto and can’t get the Habs on TV. Can someone please tell me where I can stream the game on internet? RDS.ca does not seem to offer the service any longer…

47. FastCentennial says:

Visit wix.com/habsnation/canadiens for live Radio of the habs game and also live games streamed online. More in depth news and blogs about your habs.

Habsnation is still standing.

48. New says:

I don’t think the team or players will set any records or win any awards this year. They would however be notable if they managed to finish the season without scoring a goal.

I don’t think any other team has ever gone the final 9 games of the season without scoring.

I think they could do it if they bench Subban and White.

49. habstrinifan says:

First goal to end the slump 2:50 of the first period scored on a power play by Mr Pernell Karl Subban after Buff has been sent off for cross checking.

On no other team in the NHL would Gomez be on the first line with his performance this season.

The jury is in. The Rangers won that trade.

• FastCentennial says:

Well it is defintley debatable cuz the Habs got Scott Gomez, Tommy Pyatt and Michael Busto. The Rangers got Chris Higgins (on Van), Ryan McDonagh (kinda don’t need cuz of PK and Weber), Pavel Valentenko (Not playing in NHL) and Doug Janik (probably in AHL).
      Fairly a plus as of right now cuz the Habs got 2 players that are on their NHL roster, rather than the rangers who have just one of those four players on their roster and he just started playing with them last month or so. But the play of Gomez evens out the deal along with Pyatt who has been in and out fo the line-up.

Habsnation is still standing.

51. Bugs says:

I think it’s a sham to only get one choice for the slump-breaker, so I’m takin 3 and to hell wit yehs.
    1) Ko-STEE-syn! (as the girl says on TSN) 6:22 of the 1st
    or 2) Geeeeeee-Onta! 13:43 of the 1st
    or 3) …pyatt… 16:10 of the 3rd

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

52. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

The time for talk is over…put up or shut up !!
    Or face the music…it rhymes with pooh !!!
    Go Habs Go !!!

53. adamkennelly says:

Look for the Thrashers to come out and be extremely physical and aggressive..guys like Eager, Kane, Boulton, Thornburn…you know, guys we have no response for most nights…

54. emann_222 says:

Tonight is paramount to turning this team around for a playoff run. But it goes beyond Gomez and the failing offense. The defensive unit has been weak with turnovers as well, and the PP has been atrocious.

They need to get disciplined, stop playing big, and stop playing shorthanded.

For an in-depth look at this weeks Habs match-ups .. Please visit and read http://wp.me/1n6pU “Habs Pick Six … 18 Periods To Go”.

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

55. newbrunswick troy says:

Thanks to the guys who helped this old timer figure out how to put my AVATAR picture up…..that SH!+ doesn,t come easy to us 40 plus year olds!!!
    That said if you don,t have your avatar up its easy just go to “gravatar.com” open an acct. using your email that you use here….don,t worry about making new password, it will still be same here….then wait 5min or so….and boom you have an Oromocto eagle on the site like me!!!(my sons hockey team)

56. Hobie Hansen says:

Aside from being worried about Pacioretty’s health I was also very worried the Habs offense would suffer big time. However, nobody could have predicted that it would be this bad.

Gomez was just barley avoiding the complete doghouse earlier this season with Pacioretty on his line but without him he is completely exposed again. I actually really like Gomez in interviews and he seems like a solid guy but he’s doing zero for this team. I keep my fingers crossed each game and hope he has a “I told you so” type of game and gets 4pts or something.

Aside from Gomez…Cammalleri and Plekanec are not up to par either. Plekanec came back from a small injury and it seems like Cammalleri has been on the limp or hiding an injury for a month or longer. Hopefully they snap out of it!

The Habs have some great weapons on their team but they need to start producing and they also could use Pacioretty back in a major way. If Montreal can get their game back up to the level we saw earlier this season and in last year’s playoffs, we’ll put up a good fight against anyone and win our fair share too.

Oh and I would never boo one of the Habs. I think people who boo their own team are a joke. So Gomez, get your ass in gear buddy!

• coldness81 says:

Sather signed gomez for the exact reason the habs traded for him… he’s great in interviews lol

• observer says:

not at all! sather signed him because of his great performance BUT he was then smart enuff to realize “oops i blundered and i got to find some fool and fast who will take him and his huge long contract off my hands”! and along came gainey and his partner gauthier.

and here we are today.

• Hobie Hansen says:

Gomez and his contract were a blunder for sure but Gainey’s and Gautheir’s over all performance gets more than just a passing grade in my books.

• newbrunswick troy says:

About Gomez….its simple; He is definitly the biggest contract bust post lockout era hands down…but thats not his fault and as far as his way subpar play, well thats simple too – he is just trying to do to much and at same point is scared to expose himself as a fraud ( thats why he passes the puck so much) when in fact he should man up and admit to the world that he is not capable of being a true 8million dollar man…and agree to try to extend his contract at leaugue minimum….to average it down!!!!
      Then with that big elephant out of the closet the pressure will be gone and he can go on to being a productive player in the habs organization for the next 50 years…( thats what the new contract will be for) LOL

• emann_222 says:

I agree with you entirely. There are many cogs in the wheel that have to take responsibility for this mini slump. I too like Gomez – and his 28 assists means that he has a place on this team (just not for that kind of money). But Plekanec and Cammalleri are also in dire need of stepping up their game.

I’m hoping for a momentum switching game tonight – one that will get this team back on the right track.

57. Nahlsy says:

As Yogi Berra once said, “I’m not in a slump, I’m just not hitting”.

58. Ronan G says:

O.K, So I want as many people’s opinions on this as possible….

The Bertuzzi Hit last night. I watched the game live last night and I thought it would get a suspension for sure.

Now, before you go hitting the thumb’s down button. I only thought that because:

(a) They are cracking down on headshots
    (Apparently Colin Campbell and I disagree)

(b)Blindside hit

(c)They always like to say this player had no past record.
    (Well I can think of one past record in this case….)

I know no matter what I think on this subject I will be perceived by the general population as a “habs fan” who would throw Chara in jail, and wants a suspension over every little play. But the truth is, albeit this not being a “VICIOUS” hit or really having much intent, isn’t this what the NHL is supposedly trying to change?? This is the very definition of a hit (elbow) to the head. Sure he didn’t get hurt, but it could have led to an injury.

Who knows, maybe I’m the only one who’s confused on the revolving door policies of player safety in the NHL.

What’s your take?

“Trust no one…… Not even Brian Burke, he’s selling bullsh…..”

59. naweed235 says:

I for one am confident that this team will pull through and get back in to gear just in time for the playoffs… Every single team (see Philly, Capitals,etc.) goes into a slump at some point in their season , some earlier and some just at the end of the season… and frankly this is the one major slump of the season as far as I remember…
    I think we ALL know deep down inside that if there is one thing our team has it’s Character as we all witnessed last spring…(those who say it was ALL because of Halak need to go and learn a few things about teams sports…)
    So Cheers to all Habs fans and here’s to a Big Win tonight!

60. The Cat says:

Making its debut on Hockey Inside out is The Cat’s Tale O’ The Tape: Habs are 10-8-1 with 2 days off and 8-6-2 on Tuesdays. Atlanta are 19-13-7 on 1 day off and 1-7 on Tuesdays.

61. Jonson says:

WHY is THE GOMEZ LINE THE NUMBER 1 LINE?

62. coldness81 says:

i would like to blame gomez in advance for tonight’s outcome

63. wesley.ryan says:

We rode Carey this far, why wouldnt we finish the season like this? Not that it plays into the reason he’s playing, but why not give him a chance at going for top wins in the league? at least top 3.

64. TINMAN17 says:

Why not give Auld some time? He has looked sharp lately, can’t blame him for the B’s game when everyone else was looking for the exit sign.

• savethepuck says:

Because when the team is slumping and you need wins to secure a playoff spot, you go with the guy who gives you the best chance to win. In case you haven’t been paying attention, that would be our MVP Carey Price. I hope you comment doesn’t suggest that you think Carey is playing bad.

• Favorite Son says:

He’s been a tad shaky lately. But I agree that they have to go with him so he can go strong into the playoffs and yes, obviously because he is our #1 goalie. and our playoff spot isn’t guaranteed yet.

• goat_007 says:

If you built a brick wall and only had a puck sized hole playing goal you still need to score to win. Goalie can’t be to blame when you haven’t scored in almost 200 minutes of hockey.

HIO has change my life, I think for the better but my boss may disagree! Go Habs GO!

• TINMAN17 says:

No way, Carey is a stud. Definitely should be in the Vezina/Hart debate. I’m just saying Auld has looked great lately, so has Carey especially against the Caps, but man, he’s played a ton and maybe the weight of the world shouldn’t always be on his shoulders. Make the D responsible too, that’s all. Especially seeing how he’s def going tomorrow night.

Born and Bred in Enemy Territory (Boston).

65. lori007 says:

Going to the game tonight! The place will go bananas when (yes, when) we finally score…. crossing fingers…

Let’s go les boys!

66. jakesahabsfan says:

You think Martin raised his voice, maybe,hopefully. Must be something he could kick or something a garbage can or something to show some passion. Does anyone think he does that kind of stuff to spark some kind of passion ?

• dasbooth says:

Do you really think JM yelling solves everything? I think we should give the boys a bit more credit than that.

“Shutouts are really more of a team stat” – Carey Price

• Favorite Son says:

I don’t think we should. Sometimes the boys act just like that: boys. These guys sometimes need to be woken up by a coach that isn’t afraid to be vocal.

• Jonson says:

i agree, its silly to think that you need a coach to yell at players to be successful. im sure most of them dont even pay attention to the coach. they are PROFESSIONALS, they know what they have to do. however JM is not a very good coach. He makes terrible dicisions.

IM ALMOST SURE GOMEZ WILL NOT BE A HAB NEXT YEAR.

67. savethepuck says:

So with Carey in tonight, I guess he’s playing the back to back. Tomorrow night’s game against Carolina is more important because they can still catch us.

• olegpetrov says:

He must be. If they had won 1 game out of the past three, I imagine Price would sit tonight and play against Carolina.

Habs fan…Nuff said

• Rudy says:

Because none of the losses were because of goaltending, or because we are more desperate for points after the three losses?

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan