Game 76: Canadiens match unenviable mark

HabsCapsKostitsyn

Canadiens’ Andrei Kostitsyn misses on shot towards Capitals goalie Braden Holtby, while being checked by  Mike Knuble during the first period Saturday night. Pierre Obendrauf, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog, Quick Hits, About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Tomas Plekanec | Carey Price | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: For the first time since 1949, the Canadiens have been shut out for three straight games following Saturday night’s 2-0 loss to the Washington Capitals on Saturday night at the Bell Centre. Marco Sturm scored early in the first period when he knocked a rebound out of the air and into the net behind Carey Price 1:24 into the game. It stood up as the winning goal. Alexander Semin scored off an odd-man rush 16:19 into the third period to end any thoughts of a comeback. The Canadiens managed only three shots on goal in the first period and only 18 overall, giving Capitals goalie Braden Holtby an easy night for the shutout, his second in 14 games. Price stopped 31 of 33 shots he faced. The Canadiens have not score for more than 186 minutes of hockey.

• What It Means: The Canadiens remain in sixth place in the Eastern Conference with a record of 40-29-7 for 87 points, the same number as the New York Rangers, who remain in seventh because they have won fewer games in regulation time. The Sabres sit at 85 points in eighth place in the conference.

• What’s Next: The Atlanta Thrashers are at the Bell Centre on Tuesday night and the Canadiens travel to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes on Wednesday for their final game of March.

1. Everlasting1 says:

Since 1949..wow.

They’re hurting without MaxPac.. thought he was part of the equation this year and a piece of the puzzle. This is still puzzling. It’s hightime Gomer gets the Kovy treatment – bench him. Cammy..wtf, knee too sore to kneel on and take a decent shot?

——————————————————————-
    Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

2. EricInStL says:

Some reporter, just asked JM about Gomez and his play. And JM skated around it. Nice one dolt. Bitch on him, what is Gomez going to do, play worse ?

Com’on reporters keep asking away.

“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject”–Winston Churchill

3. habsfan0 says:

I have a very strong feeling that the Habs will score at least 1 goal against the Thrashers on Tuesday.

• longbow says:

I hope so since I will be there.Why weren’t Subban and Wiz on the power play together when down by 1 goal ?

Einstein’s definition of insanity – “Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”

• breton 123 says:

Something happen in the dressing room before they

played Bostan,I think the Count told them not to revenge the Pac hit and to play clean,big let down.Seems they dont want to play for him.Even PK not the same,not skating and spinning with the puck,just lifeless .the hole team.Wrong coach for this team,we need animation behide the bench,guys are not playing for him,old school got to go…

• observer says:

the ultimate optimist

4. JohnBellyful says:

Even though I have watched hockey for decades I can’t lay claim to the same level of understanding of the game that JM does. If he says his team has a system, his team has a system. So pardon my ignorance when I say:
    – At what point in the game does the system kick in? The evidence suggests sometime after the first period. But why is that? Oh, it’s not the system that’s at fault, it’s the players who are slow to execute. Gotcha. Well, how about gettin’ right in their faces and screaming bloody murder at them minutes before the opening faceoff so they at least come out all riled up and ready to play with some emotion right from the get-go.
    – I suppose at some point passes into players’ skates will create a scoring opportunity but you might want to work on it a bit more in practice. Also, getting the puck out of the zone. And receiving passes that actually are on the mark.
    – killing penalties serves no strategic purpose. The inspirational uplift it provides is momentary and ultimately exhausting.
    – I hate to say it, but Price is one-dimensional. It’s all defence with him. It’s not good enough for Pyatt, why should it be for the team’s number one player. It would be nice if his game showed an offensive touch now and then. Lead by example is what the top players do. Design some plays making use of Price’s puck-handling ability. All he has to do is deke one player and that’s gotta leave at least one Canadien open for a pass.
    – Tell the boys I liked their hitting tonight. And, Carey, I forgive you for not being a two-way player.

5. novahab says:

Molson would you please refund the money to the good people of the Bell Centre you’re looking like a bigger crook than Bettman.

• Clay says:

Can’t lay this on Molson Nova. This team is a result of the old guard. Give Molson some time to try to right the ship before dumping on him. He inherited this mess, and I think he is doing his best to right the ship – evidenced by the firing of Ronald Corey to start things off.
      What will determine it for me, though, is if he instructs the team to hire the best coach available when the time comes, as opposed to the best French-Canadian coach.

__________________________
      The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

6. novahab says:

Boone any of you reporter types going to ask JM if there is a problem in the dressing room. How about asking Roy if he is asked would he step in.

7. EricInStL says:

Does a coach really accomplish anything by having a dog house ?

8. Sportfan says:

The fans that booed at the end of the game had every right. The last 3 games have been important and we have played pathetically. Price does all the damn work and they don’t score for him he can’t do the scoring either guys you have to wake up soon

• EricInStL says:

You didn’t play that bad. You had opportunities but the puck wasn’t going in.

• Sportfan says:

I’ll admit this game was better but the result was still the same a big goose egg on our side. It gets very boring and gets us very aggravated cause this is the 2nd time this year we have a good spot and then start to slide. I don’t want to play Boston in the first round id rather Pittsburgh but that wont happen now

• mb says:

What concerns me the most isn’t the amount of opportunities. I’m concerned about the lack of everything – passion, desire to win, intensity -. Players just looked uninterested in winning.

• EricInStL says:

I was being sarcastic, since you were writing “we”. It’s they.

This team is not a team, just a collective of individuals.

9. rocketsglare says:

Why should we be surprised about tonight. The Habs have had
    scoring issues all season long with underperforming and under-
    achieving line play. This is an indictment of the coaching staff and
    current roster that IMO has been suspect all year long and should
    be addressed this off season and beyond. Making the playoffs is
    dubious now given the malaise that appears to have griped the
    team.

• Fansincebirth says:

It should have been addressed last season but wasn’t.

Year after year of finishing in the middle of the pack leaves you with no draft picks and nobody to trade when the time comes to try to get someone who can help the team. Thus, we rely on our farm system which is finally starting to produce good players and more mediocre players because that’s all we can get.

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

10. Spartan117 says:

Consistancy.

11. Fansincebirth says:

For those of you who are going to jump off the bandwagon (again), please remember to tuck and roll. No sense hurting yourselves for when you want to get back on the wagon…..

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

12. novahab says:

I would have to say Subban must be in JM’s dog house again almost no powerplay time. Now Gionta who made the dumbest pass in the history of hockey against Boston on a 5 on 3 miss no time. Cammy who is mailing these games in has a reg shift and Gomez what can I say he missing no shifts. Then there is Pleks he still on vacation no effort from him tonight. I say send Gomez,Pleks,Cammy and Gionta to the dogs and play the kids. Hey they might lose but they will try.

13. matrags says:

there sure is a problem in the room ……. no scorers …BBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. and the.Count for a coach …. one zero , two zeros , three zeros. ah ah ah ……..

14. Fansincebirth says:

So Cherry thinks this is bad karma for us beating the Wild 8 – 1 and “running up the score…..didn’t mention the 7 – 0 game, did he?

Welcome to the new NHL – NASCAR on Ice

15. Everlasting1 says:

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

16. vic says:

I would like to know what instructions were given to players before the Boston game that seemed to take the heart out of them

17. thehabs21 says:

NO SEE HABS FANS ALWAYS JUST GET MAD AND BITCH BUT RELAX FOLKS GOOD THINGS ABOUT THIS SEASON(CAREY PRICE) AND ALSO SHITTY THINGS, DID ANYONE EXPECT THEM TO WIN 25TH THIS YEAR?

18. Qikdraw says:

Gotta love the coach,thanks BoB for the live cardboard cutout behind the bench.

19. Kooch7800 says:

Cammy Are you out there? Gio where you been? Kostitsyn isn’t it a contract year? Gomez…..well can’t beat a dead horse.

Team looks tired. We may still actually miss the playoffs.

20. Everlasting1 says:

——————————————————————-

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

21. novahab says:

How about you put the same line up in that scored 8 goals JM because this group can’t score. I know that is what ROY would do.

22. 1010 says:

I really wish I lived in Montreal tonight. Tomorrow I have to go out into the world and listen to many who cheer for anyone else. This is pathetic. These guys are really making it tough for me to have to get up tomorrow and face a lot of people.

GO HABS…

23. habs001 says:

moen,pyatt,darche,eller,gomez,white,pouliot,halpern are below average goal scorers ..that is 8 forwards…most of our other forwards are in a slump..this team has way overachieved last year and this year…there is a reason why you have been shutout over 20 times since last year and been one of the worst scoring teams in the nhl for over 170 games

24. thehabs21 says:

AHHHHHHHHHH LOOOKING SOFT OUT THERE BOYS

25. scrowe21 says:

I read some comments of people talking crap about Laraque before the game for saying something about there being a problem in the dressing room. What exactly did he say and where did he say it? Im starting to believe it.

26. Fargo Habs Fan says:

What a stellar and highly predictable outcome. I wish I got paid to do not a damn thing.

27. novahab says:

Hey JM I thought you said they can have Friday off I didn’t know you said Sat. to. I have a a ideal JM how about you take the rest of the year off.

28. Kimberly2u says:

I’m done watching this team…they have no spirit, can’t skate and they don’t care…the only persone I feel bad for is Carey…the look on his face on the bench said it all…the team has quit on him…they don’t deserve to be in the playoffs..give it to some team that actually cares

29. CHCanadien says:

Shut out by an AHL goalie on a Saturday night at home……Pathetic!

30. Propwash says:

Habs crap out, Boone’s blog craps out….co-inkidink?

31. the_larry says:

I cant wait to see what Timo says…if he hasnt hung himself yet

32. ZimHabwe says:

Somebody bring the Bulldogs reserves back. At least those guys look like they have more heart than our best players right now.

33. rocketsglare says:

No fire in this team. Totally flat. Either the team is spent and done
    or have given up. There’s no way given the importance of today’s
    game and the earlier Rangers win that the Habs couldn’t come out
    with a sense of urgency and play like it. Something is wrong with
    this team and it may be internal.

34. RC-51 says:

This team better wake up in a hurry because they HAVE NOT secured a playoff spot and ALL team teams below them in the standings are inching closer everyday and we keep slipping!

35. Kimberly2u says:

Like I said they are not the same team…I don’t know whats happened to them…they’ve lost something….too many penalties and not playing like they care if they win or not

36. Mavid says:

That last penalty was a load of smelly crap

second place is just the first loser

37. adam76 says:

This team needs to learn to stay out of the box.

38. RC-51 says:

this team is playing PATHETIC HOCKEY! shots are 11-3 is this the way to respond to getting their asses whipped 3 of their last 4 games?
    3 penalties already in the 1st

39. Kimberly2u says:

Thanks Mavid….I”m watching it now

40. Mavid says:

try this link..it shows the game

second place is just the first loser

41. Mavid says:

nice penalty kill..

second place is just the first loser

42. Kimberly2u says:

I guess it’s 1-0 already….don’t have a good feeling about the team anymore…they’ve lost their confidence or something..they are not the same team…but I will still root for them to win

43. adam76 says:

THIS is how they respond?

44. Kimberly2u says:

Go Habs go…let’s hope someone gets a goal

45. Mavid says:

why would someone “thumb down” a simple stat..some people are soooo weird..

second place is just the first loser

46. Mavid says:

Gomez with AK..things that make you go hmmmmm

second place is just the first loser

47. NightRyder says:

My hope: Gomez comes to life and contributes mightily to a long playoff run.

In the off-season, capitalizing on this burst of good fortune, we are able to move him. In this case, the Pollyannas will have to be silenced forcibly. I’ll volunteer for this campaign.

I will continue to cheer for any player that has the CH on the front of their jersey.

There are simply some that would make me happier in other jerseys.

48. Psycho29 says:

Canadiens at Capitals???
    Is that why the dressing room is empty????

49. Good Habits says:

I wish my bedroom looked like that pic. Why did I get married????

not about hockey but still ridiculous http://www.mytacotruck.blogspot.com

50. thehabs21 says:

AUDIO ERRRRR

51. mike g says:

Incase some of you guys are not watching the Kings game, Kopitar just went down on a scary looking play. His knee bent in an ugly manner, looks like a big injury, acl or mcl most probably.

At this time of the year especially, that sucks.

52. Bugs says:

New strategy on the table simulates the deployment of our top producer at maximum output. For this, Dezzy Dezarnay would have his TOI doubled.
    We call it “Operation Eyes Wide Open, Alpha-Tee-Niner”.
    18 up to enable.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

Isn’t it Capitals at Canadiens?

EDIT: Tough crowd. Maybe I should have just said, “test.” I even gave myself a thumbs down.

• Bugs says:

It’s Capitals at Waterloo.
      Unnh! Yeah, baby.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• Bugs says:

They’re not “disagreeing”; they’re “disliking”. The children more than once. Saves them the effort of debate, or identifying themselves as “disagreers” for that matter.
      Yeah, that feature was a grrrrreat idea for this site, a grrrreat idea. Much more threads of discussion now…oh, waitaminnit, it’s the exact opposite; there ARE no more threads of debate. Just children thumbing down a dozen times then coming back with “See? Look how many people disagree with you!”
      But hey, if it keeps’em away from drugs or gangs, I guess it’s for the best, so don’t take it to heart too much, Double-H.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

• The Cat says:

Im really surprised to see you racking up the thumbs down Bugs.

• HalifaxHabs says:

LOL Bugs, you really don’t like the thumbs up thumbs down system eh… well I gave you a thumbs up for wearing your thoughts on your sleeve

• Bugs says:

I reckoned this would happen, turnin the whole thing into a popularity contest. That’s what the thumbs are for; no one make any mistake about that. But being able to vote more than once makes even the popularity contest a total bush-league job, (or Bush-league if you prefer).
          I got -27 within an hour on one post, no posters more’n 5 thumbs ALTOGETHER around me, yet curiously, not one REPLY saying “Bugs, I disagree.”
          Gimme a break.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

54. HalifaxHabs says:

Cammy Pleks Halpern
    Gio Gomez Darche
    AK Eller Moen
    Pouliot DD White

Subban Gill
    Hamrlik Wiz
    Sopel Mara/Spacek

Price Auld

there, just wanted to look at what our lines will be come playoff time.

• jimmy shaker says:

Here are the lines for tonight……

ak46/gomer/gio
      moen/pleks/cammy
      halpern/eller/darche
      white/dd/pouliot

Shaker

• StevieRay says:

Poor AK…..
        Poor Eller…
        Another chance for Gomez……and another..and another …and another…and another…and another…and another
        reunite the nifty 50′s line …Benny/DD/Darche

55. MAC4Ever says:

Prediction: Habs won’t clinch a playoff spot until the last game of the season. With an overtime loss!

56. SeriousFan09 says:

Danny Kristo with a 1G, 1A effort today as North Dakota wins their first bracket in the NCAA Ice Hockey Tournament. They’ll match up with either Denver or Western Michigan tommorow.

Kristo has 3G, 2A since he got back into play recovering from frosbite on his foot. Seems he has something to prove!

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

57. CHsam says:

I’m glad I’m not watching the game tonight. I’ll check the highlights at the bar, but seriously…. I think this Playoffs is going to be a wake-up call to Management and Geoff Molson.

58. citizen says:

Hope habs get themselves going soon! The size factor is starting to show. Please JM put Gomez on 4th line! Too much ice time given to someone who does not produce.

59. observer says:

Not one single game all season long had the Habs allowed 6 goals or more

Then:
    Feb 9 Canadiens 6 Bruins 8
    Mar 18 Canadiens 3 Rangers 6
    Mar 24 Canadiens 0 Bruins 7

Upon further review, not only were those 3 games the only games the Habs allowed 6 goals or more this season, and by those 2 teams, neither of which is a high scoring team BUT the Habs played those same 2 teams 7 other times this season and WON every one of those 7 meetings, so I ask again were those 3 games of the 75 played by the Habs an aberration?

60. kelownahabs says:

Breaking news – the golf courses have opened in kelowna … do not tell anyone especially the players! Otherwise they will be wondering if josh is setting up tee times for them if they get shout out again tnite

humbly urs from the okanagan

61. Mark C says:

The Rangers with only 1 3rd period shot, and they have a Cup winning coach. I guess JM isn’t the only coach who has his team sit back on a lead late in the game.

62. FastCentennial says:

King Henrik does it again…Wow! The rangers have 87 pts. Well hopefully now the habs can pull off a huge win tonight and can move closer to the bruins maybe pass TB you never know what can happen. Also maybe the bruins might go 2 games without scoring a goal just as the habs did when they blew out the wild. What ever goes around comes around.

Habsnation is still standing.

• smiler2729 says:

Once again the age old curse of blowing out an opponent in one game skunks you in the next.

Even though the Rangers have 87 pts. too, I’d rather see the Bruins shutout in front of all their moronic fans.

*Perfectly content as a HABS I/O member for 3 years 16 weeks… now forced here, grrrrrrr.

• observer says:

They do better when Thomas plays. Having said that ,after the 8-6 win over the Habs they’d been playing poorly and not scoring until just a couple of days before that Habs game. Maybe it wasn’t them playing that well on Thursday, but Habs not showing up?

• Top Corner says:

Ahhhh , that actually felt good to see….he he he

There was no real outcome that would have been better than the other IMO….. now we can still sneak past the b’s…..but the Rags are catching up too…..oyee

I just cant wait for the playoffs…..Cmon HABS….get it DONE !!!

GO HABS GO !!!

• observer says:

In case of a tie with the Habs I believe the Habs have more “regulation time” wins than the Rangers do.

• habsfan0 says:

Correct me if I’m wrong,but all the Habs have to do is TIE the Bruins in points at the end of the season,and the Habs will get the higher seeding because of a superior record between them.

63. BlueRecycleBox says:

Was at Mon
    NJ at Buf
    TB at Car
    Tor at Det

okay….

• observer says:

Win tonight and right back in thick of race for any of those spots. Lose and especially if Carolina wins tonight and it will be a battle just to get in. I think Habs will show up tonight. Carolina hung on for dear life to beat Tampa Bay yesterday. I think it will be a different game tonight there.

65. Mavid says:

98.7% we make the playoffs

second place is just the first loser

66. DLS HAB says:

Go HABS Go!!!
    First Time Poster

67. Say Ash says:

“not scored a goal in more than two games and that is something they will try and correct”

Ahh, well, at least they’ll try. Lovely.

68. HABS_FAN_NS says:

The game on Thursday was embarrassing as a Habs Fan. I think if we can get a big win tonight against the Caps I can forget about that game since we beat Boston most of the time. The team has shown that they can play with the best of them throughout most of this year and they need to get back to that level of play to finish out the year. The past couple of weeks have been discouraging but I’m not worried because I know what this team can do when they are at their best. We are still in comfortable playoff position and this is not the time to abandon ship.

69. habstrinifan says:

NY Rangers leading BB late in 3rd period. Show sthat HABS have indeed regressed compared to other teams in East.

• smiler2729 says:

Milan Luchicken just slashed Brian Boyle’s stick out of his hands and Bs analyst Andy Brickley’s going on how Boyle faked it and it shouldn’t have been a penalty…

Next Mark Recchi will make a statement on radio

• Mark C says:

We can determine a team’s regression based on two games now? Good thing we didn’t make this determination last year after a 82 game sample.

• habstrinifan says:

If you seriously think indivations of habs regressing are based solely on two games .. you have not been paying attention. Review their wins and losses in last 10 games. Then review performances of the teams they have WON and LOST against.

• Mark C says:

OK, but that’s not what you said. You said based on the NYR-Boston game it shows Montreal has regressed, not based on the last 10 games while also being compared to which team’s performance. Big difference.

70. wild flower says:

Kristo just demonstrated his offensive skills again. 3 games back – 3 goals scored.

• Mark C says:

A goal and a helper in today’s game. How does a positive report on a top prospect get thumbs down?

• rob_c says:

observer must of done it. His reasoning… Kristo isn’t a leaf prospect.

• observer says:

Makes me happy not mad. Finally after 8 years Habs are picking and developing good players so they dont have to go outside and overpay free agents. Subban, Price, Pacioretty, White I think, Desharnhais, maybe these last couple of years too i.e. Kristo, Leblanc. One of the big reasons I’ve knocked Gainey and Gauthier but maybe it is starting to turn around.

71. smiler2729 says:

Scott Gomez rocks.

• rob_c says:

If we make a deep run and he’s an integral part of it, I’ll forgive him. Last year, although he didn’t put up great numbers he was arguably our best player during the last 20 or so games from what I can remember. Unlike this year his passes served a purpose. Unfortunately he’s nowhere near what he was at the end of the season and really showing no signs that he’s capable and or willing do to what it takes to get back to form. Why his play has dropped off so much is anyones guess. Maybe his walls are filled with asbestos ( not sure if thats how you spell it).

72. smiler2729 says:

Part of the fallout from THE DAY THE HABS DIED is you can bet opponents’ approach to their game plan when playing the pansy Habs has changed.

Opposing coach in dressing room, pre-game:
    “The Habs’ skill and speed? No problem just look at ‘em mean and they’ll quiver in fear and scurry to their bench with their tails between their legs.”

Opposing players:
    “LOLOLOLOLOL”

I really hope they grow some and prove me wrong or Gauthier’s gonna have to do a complete makeover this summer.

As for Scott Gomez, I really want to know WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO HIM??? And if he has an amazing playoff and the Habs go deep, is everything forgiven??

73. HUDSONHAB says:

Rangers leading Bruins 1-0 half way through the game.
    Bruins saving themselves for the next Habs contest.
    Actually want B’s to win, catch Lightning for 5th would be nice.

….Hab4life….

• HUDSONHAB says:

Bruin’s comentators are dicks!

….Hab4life….

• Dunboyne Mike says:

I’m not a big hater. I tend not to hate other teams. And for example, I don’t hate Milan Lucic. I hate it when he does well against us, but — as has been posted eloquently by others over the weeks — he’s EXACTLY the kind of player we long for, as a supplement to the Smurfs, and we would love him were he wearing the bleu, blanc, rouge.

But while not hating Marchand is much more challenging, I have a serious loathing for those NESN bolloxes. Here in Ireland had to watch Thursday’s game on NESN: they sound exactly like hockey-Dads, not hockey commentators. Unlike their idols on the ice, who were doing their job, those bozos are not professional.

• smiler2729 says:

Yeah, I’m watching too, NESN’s Jack Edwards keeps taking little subtle shots at the Habs on Thursday… what an ass.

Stuff like insinuating the Bruins have to play heads up because the Rangers will actually make body contact unlike the Canadiens on Thursday…

I think I actually hate the Bruins more than the Leafs now.

• P St. Pierre says:

Agreed…the Leafs are pathetic, while the Bruins represent a much tougher challenge. Definitely a more heated rivalry.

• smiler2729 says:

I guess we should really hate Brian Burke, he is GM of both teams right now.

74. Bob_Sacamano says:

Canadiens at Capitals?

75. rob_c says:

Gomez Sucks.

• rob_c says:

Gomez hit the thumbs down button 8 times so far.

• db says:

You can b!#@$ about the lemons you got… or you can add some sugar and make lemonade. Maybe those thumbs down are trying to tell you to lighten up and accept what you have. Who knows, next year there are a couple teams that will need to hit the cap floor…. :p

• rob_c says:

The guy makes more money then doctors, surgeons, soldiers, firefighters etc. If he’s going to play like garbage night in and night out then I’ll say he sucks. I was 5 the last time Montreal won the Cup I barely remember it. I’m mad because in the salary cap world SCOTT GOMEZ playing like garbage and eating up over 12% of the entire teams pay role is affecting mine and many others opportunity to see Montreal win another cup. I’m 21, not 41, or 61. I wasn’t lucky enough to see the hab dynasties. If Gomez looked like he tried night in and night out thats one thing, but half the games he looks like he doesn’t show up.From the way it sounds he NEVER shows up to optional skates either….if he did it would at least show us fans he cares, and he’s working at things. At the end of the day I realize he doesn’t control how much that idiot from New York signed him for. I realize he’s not a 7.5 million dollar man, but can he ATLEAST play like he’s worth 3 or 4 million. The guy looks like a fourth line centre at best. The only thing he does well is skate.

• Dunboyne Mike says:

Dear Rob.
          Sympathies on the 21 thing and being 5 last time. (I’m twice your age so caught the last dynasty). It brings up an interesting question: is it harder never to have seen it? Or harder to have seen it, know what it tastes like, and be dying to taste again?
          On Gomez, totally agree that in any other profession he’d be out the door. Clearly, wise and all as we believe ourselves to be on HIO, I guess there’s always a ton we DON’T actually know, and I wonder if in this case management is afraid of some kind of negative morale impact on the rest of the team were Gomez sent down? I’m not saying they would be right, just wondering if that has anything to do with it?
          Cheers