Game 74: Miller, Sabres blank Canadiens

SabresMillerMarch22HIO

Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller bats the puck away from Canadiens’ Ryan White during the first period on Tuesday night. Marie-France Coallier, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog, Quick Hits, About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

UPDATE: According to Renaud Lacoie of RDS, via Twitter, Carey Price received a slap shot on the upper leg Tuesday morning. He has a big bruise, but was all right Tuesday night.

• At a Glance: Buffalo Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller made 31 saves for his fourth shutout of the season, a 2-0 win over the Canadiens at the Bell Centre on Tuesday night. Nathan Gerbe, the NHL’s smallest player, scored both goals. He opened the scoring 8:56 into the second period. He redirected a Tyler Myers shot past Carey Price, who narrowly missed making the save with his blocker. Gerber scored into an empty net with 22 seconds to play in the third period. Price, who appeared to injure his right leg during the morning skate, made 22 saves in a losing effort.

• What It Means: The Canadiens remain in sixth place in the Eastern Conference with 87 points and a 40-27-7 record, three points behind the Boston Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division and six points ahead of the Sabres, who are in eighth place in the conference.

• What’s Next: A much-anticipated date with the Bruins comes on Thursday night, in Boston, before the Canadiens return home to take on the Washington Capitals on Saturday night.

1. habs001 says:

camm and gomez should have 7-10 more goals each and that would have won us the division..players who are payed huge $$$ should be the difference makers on a team and clearly this year these two have let the team down..hopefully they make up for it in the playoffs but they really costs us the division..

• Rainrocket16 says:

I agree with Gomez, however Cammy has been rattled with injuries all season so be fair to him. To note, lots of the AHL boys who have done alot for us stepping in for injuries made up for the other guys lacking points. Enough beating these boys up, we are damn lucky to be where we are today!! This team has depth and can be very dangerous, only time will tell what they got in them to win in the post season, I for one happy we are where we are!

• malmn says:

“Cammy has been rattled with injuries all season so be fair to him.”

Whatever. His goal production is atrocious and he’s been sulking all year. Cammalleri is not even going to crack 20 goals, and his forechecking and work in his own zone leaves something to be desired (why on earth does Martin use him on the PK anyways?). He should stay home and get healthy if he’s injured.

2. Rainrocket16 says:

Well that wasn’t what we all wanted! But did anyone actually feel surprised we lossed tonight! Always when we come off a big win we fall short or flat the next one, oh well! The biggest of all big games is Thursday! We win that one then we still have a shot at 3rd, lose it and we will have to hold 6th and continue to chase 5th. Doesn’t look like we will have home ice advantage in round 1 though, just the way we like it. I mean when was the last time we shined when we had it? Go Habs Go!!

3. habsindepth says:

Fact of the matter is, no matter how much you criticize this team, Sabres played a tight game and were defensively very sound. They didn’t let the Habs get much puck possession and Habs weren’t able to do much with the puck when they had it. Miller made some timely saves and Price wasn’t able to score any goals himself, so we lost.

We are still missing many regulars, sure we won against the Lightning and Wild with this type of lineup, lets not expect them to win against a team that played such a nice tight game. Sabres were desperate for the two points and they wanted them more than our Habs did.

Lets move on and get ready for the “broons”

Edit: Edited the comment to post a play-by-play game recap http://bit.ly/h5Nf2J
    ===================================
    Web: http://www.habsindepth.com – For the Fanatics
    Twitter: @habsindepth
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hidpage

Tag your tweets with #PriceForHart
    Go Habs Go

4. Dulljerk says:

Sabres had more zip, plain as that. If Kostitsyn would hit more, he would be a far more effective player. When he hits he’s like a bull and quite impressive. Alex Picard should not be playing in this league at this time, same as Webber. Not ready for prime time.

• savethepuck says:

so with Markie, Gorges, Spac and Sopel out, who should be playing.

• Dulljerk says:

Well, these guys have been with the team long before those injuries. They should have been in the AHL (at least one of them) and maybe they would be effective now. Mara is at least a proven NHL defenceman. Picard and Weber are Ahl class. I know they are stuck between a rock and a hard place with Sopel now out too, but these guys are going to leak like sieves as the playoffs approach.

5. SLYDER says:

anyone else notice dawes tonight?

me neither…

6. Steven says:

I can’t understand this team…

How can they go on winning streaks after coming off a huge dry spell(December, ykno?) then they can’t win a big game during a strong streak?

I mean, I still love them, but yeah

• savethepuck says:

Maybe people should realize that except for the return of Gill, this is basically the same lineup that played Tampa Bay last Thursday that no one expected to win ( everyone was praising the Habs for an unexpected win) ,and Buffalo is playing a lot better down the stretch than TB is by far. I know we have the most passionate fans in hochey who get extremely upset when this team loses, but we still have a lot of key day-to-day players.

• Steven says:

I guess that is true, but if I recall, the injured players left are Markov, Gorges, Plekanec, Halpern and Sopel(forgive me if I forgot someone). Without these guys, other than Plek and Halpern to some degree, the team has found success anyway.

The injured players would immensely help us, obviously, but this team does have to find ways to win the big games.

• LA Loyalist says:

Just re-watched the highlights and while we played well (Price was great, Gomez actually looked like he was trying) we did not make Miller’s life sufficiently miserable, he saw lots of the shots.
      To do anything in the playoffs our guys are going to have to take a beating in front of the net, not just go for the pretty plays. Desharnais went to the net, and other guys are going to have to do the same.

• Steven says:

That’s what I was thinking. Getting 31 shots is great, but if only a handful of them really challenge Miller, it doesn’t make a bit of difference.

7. Hamayoune says:

Off topic but what do you think about Ilya Kovachuk’s late stats:

last 43 games
    goals:21
    points: 38

He’s been averaging 0.88 points a game. Not bad for a guy who’s been taking a huge blame for Devil’s lack of success (at least in my opinion)

I don’t know what impact he has in the dressing room or his attitude on the ice (taking shifts, games off a la Kovalev) but he seems to have a good half season. Let’s hope our Gomez does the same and shows everyone why we traded big for him.

• observer says:

Who ever blamed him? Even last year in the playoffs he was the only Devil who was scoring.

• LA Loyalist says:

I saw Kovalchuk play live under Maclean, and they had no plays that utilised him. He looked like a big dog that wanted you to throw him the stick. I didn’t get any “coasting” energy from him at all. I think Lemaire is no dope and is making much better use of him. As for the dressing room I of course don’t know, but they have been playing great, maybe running out of gas a bit the last few games.

8. rocketsglare says:

Lost opportunity to keep pace with Boston. Thursday’s game will be huge and could possibly decide if NE Division is within reach. Valiant effort but the boys simply didn’t have it tonight. Key now is getting healthy and not slipping in the standings.

• observer says:

More than that, Habs are heading to 7th or 8th place which means Washington or Philadelphia in the first round which means one and out. BTW – not only do Habs still have injuries and Boston hates them, but Boston is not only 3 points up but also have 2 games in hand.

9. J Haul says:

Not one goal against the junk sabers? Pathetic…

10. wesley.ryan says:

Come on Carey, lead us to the Division!

11. Spartan117 says:

I think all you computer software geeks should check this out… totally useless but very cool stuff in this vid.

enjoy

12. StevieRay says:

Laff fans pulling for the Habs tonite !!

• observer says:

Leafs are about done though Grabovski scored his 27th tonight, Sabres only 6 points behind Habs and have a game in hand and Habs have to play Boston and Washington the next 2 games. Sabres can also pass Habs along with Rangers.

13. SLYDER says:

1 more hour baby

4-2 – Gomez with an empty netter!!!!!!!

14. VancouverHab says:

Without Gomez in the lineup, irrespective of his present points total, we’re in Maple Leafs conference position at best.

An unpopular statement of an obvious truth, but an obvious truth nonetheless.

15. TorontoHabsFan says:

Here’s a thought – if Montreal wins their division with all these injuries, you gotta think that Martin will be a finalist for the Jack Adams.

• rocketsglare says:

JM would have to be strongly considered for the Jack Adams Award if
      the club where to win the NE Division given all their injuries and the
      patchwork lineup JM has had to put together. That is coaching.

• observer says:

They have as much chance to win this division as Buffalo has of finishing 2nd in this division. Actually less because if Habs lose 2 more Buffalo can catch Montreal.

16. CAMPORESE says:

Should be a tough one tonight! Our habs will pull through with a 3-2 win. Eller and Kostisyn gets a pair!

GO HABS GO!

17. ooder says:

lets hope the boys win one tonight… but why does it seem weird sh!t always happen against the sabres and crying lindy
    ——————
    GWG = game winning gionta!

18. habsfannfld says:

Is it bad that part of me wants the habs to win in OT or SO? Just so the Sabres can move further ahead of the laffs

19. Corio says:

Would love to own these guys tonight..

20. habfan53 says:

OH &%#* with the new name do I have to change my ID??

21. Bugs says:

There once were some Buffaler savvy;
    Won a bit but not more’n halvie.
    “By the beard of Potyomkin!”
    Cried Andrei Kostitsyn
    “Strobotkyef gabrinka do, pravi!”
    (“They will surely eat my shorts, those pox-ridden buffalers!”) – translated from Belarussian.

Chillin like MacMillan, potty-boy says he’s L. B. Potter, esq.

22. habfan53 says:

Have 2 buddies coming over for the game tonight, Cold beer “Forum” style grilled hot dogs between periods
    “go Bleu Blanc Rouge GO”

23. emann_222 says:

Well, as I posted on “Whew” … Tonight is the beginning of the Habs playoff push / run.

Sabres are a force with the hunger they have to remain in 8th, and with Ennis on a mini fire … will be a tough night. But the week only begins tonight – and there is a ton of tough hockey to be played over the next 3 weeks.

9 tough games … Check out my thoughts on the week here http://wp.me/p1n6pU-19 and leave your thoughts and comments.

Tonight: Habs 3 v Sabres 2 in Regulation
    Goals by: Pouliot, Cammelleri, and Wisniewski

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.wordpress.com and http://www.thehockeywriters.com

24. HalifaxHabs says:

Prediction thread…

I say Habs win it at home 4-2…. 4th goal is an empty netter…

another big night for the Eller/AK dynamic duo

what say you????

25. Hamayoune says:

It’s not official yet (just noticed it) but Observer may finally have been banned! What a good day. Let’s get kick some sabres butts tonight and make it a great night for all!

26. patience is a virtue says:

Big game, big week.

Here’s hoping the Gomez and Cam choose this fine Tuesday evening to really gear it up for the playoffs.

• shiram says:

The people have spoken about posting “first” comments.

Go Hockey team that plays in Montreal at the nhl level go!

• habfan53 says:

Where are you watching the game tonight??

• Chuck says:

I going to have to watch the replay on RDS tonight. :(
        I promised my wife that I’d finally take her to see The King’s Speech tonight.

• habfan53 says:

I guarantee you’ll enjoy it I think it’s the best movie I’ve seen in over two years. Just don’t listen to the radio on the way home

• LA Loyalist says:

what is up with wives and chick flicks? mine wishes to see the King’s Reach also.

I recently sat through Black Swan, which was like watching Scott Gomez play hockey, I kept feeling in my pocket for a razor blade so I could cut my eyes out. And Vicki Crispy Barcalounger, after 15 minutes I said “Enough! Send Woody Allen to the minors.” Actually, Mia Farrow tried that and it kind of back fired…

What the hell were we talking about, anyway? Oh yeah, the H*bs :)

** addendum, Natalie Portman IS brilliant and deserves her awards, certainly, great performance. I just thought Cassels was wasted and the whole was over-wrought and hystrionic. Of course so was Aliens…

• aparke says:

But just like the way Gomez can sometimes show flashes of brilliance (OK – I just barfed in my mouth there) – that scene with Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman was brilliant.