Game 73: Canadiens flat against Senators

Senators’ Peter Regin deflects the puck passed Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak during the first period Monday night. John Mahoney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Jaro Spacek | Hal Gill | Andrei Markov | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens had a chance to take a big step up in the Eastern Conference standings on Monday night, but they came up empty in a 2-0 loss to the Ottawa Senators. Montreal mustered only six shots on Brian Elliott in the first period, but the Senators did even worse with only five shots on goal. However, they got one past Jaroslav Halak when Peter Regin tipped in a pass from the top of the crease. After a scoreless second period, Erik Karlsson scored his second goal of the season on the power play 8:17 into the third period. The win snapped a five-game losing streak for the Senators and handed the Canadiens their second-straight loss after a six-game winning streak.

• Key Moments: For the second straight game, the Canadiens inability to take advantage on the power play cost them dearly. Montreal was 0-for-5 with the man advantage. Travis Moen left the game in the second period after being cut in the face by a skate, but RDS was reporting that he did not need to hospital and was treated at the Bell Centre, which is a good sign.

• What It Means: Montreal drops to 36-30-7 and remains at 79 points in seventh spot in the Eastern Conference, two points behind the Senators and Flyers. The Senators and Flyers play each other on Tuesday night.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play in Buffalo on Wednesday before coming home to play the Panthers on Thursday and the Devils on Saturday.

1. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

If you are implying that bad location was part of the reason for their failure, agreed 100%!!!!

2. sholi2000.com says:

lol, that’s funny.  I stopped reading his opinion years ago.

They call me Shane

3. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Not only would it not be better, it would be terrible were it placed ‘in an open field’ or somewhere with excess land. If there is excess land, thats a hint its an undesirable area with little else going on. Also, it was intended to stay close to the forum’s location and ya know, the site where hockey originated in organized form.

4. habs11s says:

I heard parking at the Expos games nowadays is amazing, same with the Nordiques (sp?)…

___________________________________________________________________________

5. Bugs says:

That’s incorrect.

Our biggest game of the year so far was the one against Boston.

We aspired to the playoffs, not to 5th place.

Consolidating 5th place is a cherry on the sundae, not the sundae itself.

If we lose, we still survive with a smile. Ergo: NOT our most important game of the season so far.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

6. Bugs says:

Whereas, with other goalies, it’s the other way around?

They play better the LESS they play?

I dunno, mate…

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

7. mike g says:

I’m not saying it’s the worst arena in the league, it’s far from that.

All I’m sayin is if they would have built it in an open field, or somewhere with a ton of land, they could have built it much larger, with even more seats. It wouldn’t have been accessed as easily, but it would certainly accomodate to all needs. But it’s MTL, the Bell could be anywhere and it would be jam packed every night.

I like the Bell Center as I said. But, you can’t say it wouldn’t be a better ARENA if it were even bigger.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

8. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

I get out of Centre Bell quicker than I get out of HSBC by car. Yeah, you are definitely correct regarding narrow hallways and parking is of short supply but there are many ways to get to the game quickly. Parking next door is unnecessary. I think its much more advantageous to have an arena/stadium downtown in the thick of things. People will go. They will not go if the arena is way out of the way… see Expos, Senators, even the Coyotes would do much better if not for crappy placement. Suburban stadiums are an economic, aesthetic, and logistical disaster in many cases. Unfortunately I think Quebec City will end up having a suburban stadium, but that can not really be averted. Hopefully it is closer than the Colisée, it will make the team more valuable in terms of economic benefits.

9. boris420 says:

Are you crazy? It’s a NHL arena where every game is packed! Ever go to a game in toronto…just as bad….ottawa, even worse their corridors are not even bigger than ours!

Ever leave an allouettes game? Same thing but only a quarter of the people. As for parking thats the city’s fault not the bell center’s.

10. boris420 says:

11. mike g says:

I understand…I’m just saying..

From an entertainment point of view, the Bell Center is tops. But, some things leave alot to desire…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

12. Les Habitants says:

1.laffs……they might get on a hot streak..

2.all of above..

3.nobody!

4.sleep.

5.about the same.The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

13. mike g says:

Cheering for a team is totally different from anythign else in the world….

We don’t use “we” because we pretend we play for the Habs, or are part of the team. We say “we” because it’s our team. When you’re on vacation and someone asks you how people in MTL are for example, is it wrong to say ” we are……”. No it isn’t. Jack Todd should understand this…He’s old enough.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

14. boris420 says:

I think halak likes being played a lot. Regular goalie law doesnt apply for him, the more you play him the better he gets. Specially if he gets 40+ shots on him.

15. Mark C says:

So when I saw the Hurt Locker a few months ago and paid for the ticket and purchased the soda and popcorn, I could have said “we might win the Oscar this year?”

16. SeriousFan09 says:

You’te talking to a guy who’s 6’4″ so I’ve just become accustomed to not having much leg room really, I get up in every hockey arena between periods and go for walks to stretch my legs by necessity. If I get into the game, I don’t notice much else, I have a very particular focus on a hockey game. Corridors, meh, I’m used to crowds and moving through them so again, doesn’t bother me. I’m just happy to see a hockey game when I make it to the Bell Centre.

Scotiabank Place would be in the centre of Ottawa if a great deal of it wasn’t basically historical buildings that can’t be knocked over and that leaves the rest of the land so expensive to a developer it was easier to put in the middle of nowhere, which hurts that team’s bottom line as it’s hard to get people to come out there. They needed to put it downtown and for access, the train and metro are literally attached to the Bell Centre so that’s public transit handled and yes the parking situation sucks, but the parking situation in the city of Montreal sucks in general.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

17. mike g says:

I’m not going on a rant here, but the seating capacity and exceptional view from anywhere are the only positives about the Bell Center. It’s really not a well built arena….

The parking is pathetic. It takes you an hour to leave downtown.

The seating is way too tight. Leg room is scarce.

The corridors are smaller than one’s at local arena’s.

And so on…..I love the Bell Center because it’s well decorated with Habs stuff, and it’s where my favorite team plays. But if you’ve ever been to the Scotia Bank Place in Ottawa, that’s a well built arena. Tons and tons of parking, wide corridors, and so much leg room it’s rediculous….In the lower level, the seats are so big you can slouch, and you don’t have to stand everytime someone needs to pass. You have easily 2 feet between your legs and the seat infront of you.

But, I guess that’s what you get when you absolutely want an arena in downtown MTL. Not much land to build on, and scarce parking…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

18. SeriousFan09 says:

Not making this up: Team 990 with Pierre Mcguire on the Bruins offence “It doesn’t take a math scientist to figure this out” My Exact Reaction.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

19. WindsorHab-10 says:

As the Laffs did on Saturday? Are you serious? Did you honestly think the Habs gave it their all.

Come on.

20. mike g says:

1- DEVILS….they represent hell

2- Bruins

3- Lappy

4- Poutine’s available at every restaurant/ Laughable “celebrity” status

5- I personally prefer the debate of Margarine vs Butter

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

21. habs11s says:

1) the San Jose Sharks- they destroy during the season but they choke every year in the playoffs… the ultimate NHL tease

2) Hitler- I think his Blitzkreig can be stopped if you can successfully use the trap against him- someone call New Jersey

3) Price should be a healthy scratch and MAB should suit up as the backup

4) He ate too much poutine, it made him very slow during the games, now he is in Minny and away from the poutine, he’s back to skating fast

5) both are trying to debate ‘who saves more?’ so i think its a tie

___________________________________________________________________________

22. WindsorHab-10 says:

We’ve had many must win games this season, none bigger than tonight’s game. Habs should not have any excuses not beating the Sens tonight. Both teams know what’s at stake and I’m hoping our team will add to Ottawa’s woes.

Biggest game thus far IMO.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

My father went to the Old Forum for games when he was much younger, there were columns that obstructed your view in the higher levels if you were in the wrong place. As far as modern hockey arenas go, I find the Bell Centre to be pretty well-built towards the purpose, seats over 20,000 people, the ice is pretty good, the lighting is great and there’s no giant columns to block your view of the game.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. mike g says:

Does Jack Todd realize that “we” are the ones indirectly paying the salaries of the Montreal Canadiens? And that if “we” didn’t pay so much money to sit in that badly built Bell Center, pay 15$ for a hot-dog and uncapped bottle of water, there would be no team here?

He’s such a piece of garbage. Maybe his old age is getting him all grumpy.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

25. B says:

On the Maple Leaf?

26. SeriousFan09 says:

1. Florida Panthers

2. I’m hoping a Lockout cancels the playoffs in that scenario.

3. Lapierre if he has some more off games

4. Himself, sense of entitelement, lack of will to compete, take your pick.

5. Both sides accuse the other of using misleading statistics, run smear campaigns and blame the other for causing all the problems, they are really similar when you get down to it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

27. HNS says:

Jack can kiss me where I pee!

28. Say Ash says:

Who stopped?

29. HabFanSince72 says:

Five questions to pass the time until face-off.

1. In hell, which sports team will Timo be forced to support?

2. Who would you rather see out of the NHL playoffs: the Philadelphia Flyers, Hitler, or Stalin?

3. Who, if anyone, should make way for MA Bergeron (assuming Pyatt makes way for Cammi)?

4. What was preventing  Guillaume Latendresse from “concentrating on hockey” in Montreal? Note that the answer “Too much Quebecois p**sy” will get you banned from HI/O.

5. Halak versus Price or  American health care reform, which debate is most compelling?

30. Ayan_SB says:

Jackass Todd. I like that, it’s got a nice little ring to it.

31. HabFanSince72 says:

Can we still refer to Jack Todd as an untalented hack?

32. SeriousFan09 says:

I wonder if we had beat the Leafs on Saturday night if Todd’s article might have been a more glowing subject? He was over the moon with victory when the Habs were reeling off wins, but now there’s a little adversity, back to Jackass Todd.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

33. Say Ash says:

My use of “we” will never include Jack Todd.

34. Ayan_SB says:

I share that sentiment…I mean the title of the article.

I wonder if Todd still refers to “we” when talking about the Expos. This guy should’ve been left jobless like Youppi.

35. Top Corner says:

Jack Todd…..i cant stop laughing at the name myself……Jack Todd – Esquire

Loved it , eff You Jack Todd , WE will make the playoffs…..ROTFLMAO

36. Dennis says:

Jack Todd says we can’t refer to our Habs as “we” anymore. http://dennis-kane.com/fk-you-jack-todd/

Deleat please.! Habwarrior. family present!!!

38. Top Corner says:

Likes this !!!

39. mike g says:

I agree with the bad feeling…

Kovy and Alfie haven’t scored in like 2 weeks. Alfie always plays great against us, and Kovalev seems to shine only vs the Habs this year.

Also, like you said the powerplay has gone south lately. Our 6 game win streak was due in large part to clutch PP goals. If it wakes up tongiht I see us winning. 2 goals on the PP and 2 five on five. If that happens I doubt Jaro let’s in more than 3.

Hopefully…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

40. nunacanadien says:

What is it with Montreal and these Price gremlins?  They excel when we are losing, they defend the sh*t out of Price whether he loses or not, they don’t care if we make the playoffs.  No, I like the peace we have now with Halak and the pride of winning and being champions!

41. Say Ash says:

Sorry, I’m just a little edgy before that game. I got a bad feeling – especially watching the PP go 1 for 6 and not having Cammy and MAB in there tonight. Douche was uncalled for.

42. sholi2000.com says:

There’s always CJAD.com if you can’t find an online feed.

They call me Shane

43. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

You back from the land of protest yet? I might be downtown soon, so if I stop by the ‘ol office I’ll be sure to come up and say hi! My new job doesn’t allow me as much Habs I/O time as before, and boy so I miss reading this site!!!!

44. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

THANKS EVERYONE!

45. homerbowen says:

This is “THE” game and yes it is a must win against the Sens. While there ae still pleanty of games left they must convince themselves they can beat the Sens to be considered contenders.

I myself am not convinced we have the size, speed and skill to advance far. The bigger teams can wear us down (as the Laffs did on Sat…imagine losing to th Laffs gimme a break, I’m still sick about that!!).

46. cautiousoptimist says:

I never cheer for injuries, but even I gotta admit, this latest string of misfortunes couldn’t have happened to a nicer bunch of thugs and goons.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  47. cautiousoptimist says:

hahahaha

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  48. cautiousoptimist says:

Seriously.  It seems like Captain Obvious has been overshadowed around here recently by Captain Jerkoff.  It’s enough to make you pine for the respectful — if passionate — rantings of yesteryear.

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  49. HABWARRIOR says:

Or u can just not watch the game and just assume they’ll lose like our buddy Timo.

50. HABWARRIOR says:

What duz a blonde hooker and the Maple Laughs have in common?

They both suck d*ck.

51. cautiousoptimist says:

Hey stranger, atdhe.net always has the games, and they almost always work. : )

1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  52. HABWARRIOR says:

F *** the Flyers

53. Iceberg84 says:

It’s funny how you really can’t say anything here without some douche chirping at you whether your comment states a controversial opinion or not.

54. HABWARRIOR says:

ATDHE.net

55. SeriousFan09 says:

atdhe.net is your best bet, my preferred RDS stream, it usually works is http://www.justin.tv/nad_et_pic_4

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

56. Fant-HAB-ulous says:

Ahhh stupid Bell broke last night and someone can only come fix my dish tomorrow. Where oh where can I watch the game online (preferably for free)?

57. andrewberkshire says:

Halak wasn’t shakey last game, he played pretty well.

58. habs_agardiner says:

Just when everyone thought we couldn’t make the playoffs we are pushing for 5th place. And on a positive note, Flyers will be missing their top scorer Jeff Carter for 3-4 weeks acorrding to tsn. Nice! Go Habs Go

59. Say Ash says:

Uh, yeah. I think Captain Obvious agrees.

60. Iceberg84 says:

Agreed!

61. Iceberg84 says:

Montreal vs. Ottawa tonight, Boston vs. Atlanta tomorrow along with Ottawa vs. Philadelphia. The next 30 hours or so are going to be intense for the Eastern Conference playoff race.

62. Klondike Habs Fan says:

I would think JM wants to have a good look at how Halak will “rebound” after the loss / somewhat shakey performance last time.

Second, this should further fire up young Price, and we shall see how he responds next game.

I like the strategy.

63. matmacat says:

you win your in, you lose your out, is not a valid system. it does not reward the goalie based on his performances.

64. SLONCOLD says:

lol how was his performance our fault? did we play him under 5 minutes a game? did we play him on the fourth line? the dude is getting paid 880k this year to play hockey and it didn’t work in mtl. not the fans fault, not even close

65. Ron in Ottawa says:

i agree- they should be starting Price. Not because of Halak’s last game or the so-called “goalie contraversy.” But because JM has to have two goalies set to go for the playoffs. If Halak fades out because he has seen too much work- and that happens often with goalies- then JM needs to be able to call on Pice who is rested but sharp. I’ve said it before- when JM coached in Ottawa he had trouble balancing his goalies. I’m glad he seems to be making decsions about who plays without any pressure from above, like he had with BG. But still, he needs to thinks ahead a few games and balance both golaies so they are both ready for the payoffs.

66. rated_R says:

very nice! I LIKE!

67. Natrous says:

Valid point, but don’t forget who the whipping boy is now that Guillaume has left town. I used to think it was just an expression, but it turns out we Hab fans really do eat our young…

68. mike g says:

Atlanta and MTL are the only teams in the race playing decent hockey right now. And they’re both not playing decent, they’re playing excellent.

Philly, Ottawa, Boston and NY are all playing like garbage….Watching Atlanta play Ottawa last week was disgusting for so many reasons. Ottawa was horrible, the fan support was terrible (I’d say 5,000 in attendace is being generous), and it just didn’t have the feel of an important game even though it was.

But, let’s give the Thrashers credit. They have no support and play in a building that is quieter than a library, they traded away ILYA, and yet still find it in them to play well enough to be in the race.

As for us, we seem to recently have found ways to play in pressure games. I think the sweep vs Philly before the break pissed of alot of our players. They seem to be alot more confident and intense. Hope we keep it up because you can’t show any shame in a game like tonight. You gotta burry those Sens, let them continue to slide and search for solutions…

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

69. bluefleetwood says:

Sailor is right. Remember 2008, when Price was faltering against the Flyers? When the Habs put Halak in net in game 4, he was rusty as hell. If they’d played him more often during the season and in the stretch leading up to the playoffs, he wouldn’t have been rusty; Price wouldn’t have been burnt out and we may very well have had a different outcome.

70. EastCoastJoe says:

They play back to back Wednesday and Thursday.  Price will play one of those games.

“Maybe I’ll play the piano.” – Bob Gainey

71. TheIndian says:

So seems like Philly are in deeper $hi* than anyone thought…after goalies problems now Carter is gone for a long period…The way Philly is going right now, I wont be surprised if they fail to make the playoffs and Boston and Atlanta qualify for post season…

72. matmacat says:

Price’s turn? Don’t be such a baby. This has been discussed and debated time and time again.

73. sailor2963 says:

Why start Halak?  He lost the last game and we need both goalies ready for the playoffs.  It’s Price’s turn.

74. mike g says:

Brian Elliot for the Sens tonight, that’s great news….They’re not playing their French-Canadian goaltender in MTL, which we all know usually results in a career performance, lol…

And, Milan Michalek isn’t playing either. Brutal injury which is being said to be worse than the Sens thaught.

Go get’em boys…