Game 73: Subban’s first hat lifts Habs over Wild

habs-goal

Canadiens’ P.K. Subban (centre) celebrates one of his three goals Sunday night with David Desharnais (left) and Ryan White, who scored the first NHL goal of his career, had two assists and had a fight for the unofficial Gordie Howe hat trick.
Eric Miller, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Sunday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog, Quick Hits/About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

Chances are the Canadiens’ ugly loss to the Rangers at Madison Square Garden on Friday night has been forgotten.

The Habs scored, and scored, and scored again Sunday night against the Minnesota Wild, pummelling their hosts 8-1 at the Xcel Energy Center.

What a night for defenceman P.K. Subban: his first career hat trick and an assist. For Ryan White: his first NHL goal, two assists and a fight for his first Gordie Howe hat trick. Goalie Alex Auld played superbly, beaten only by Wild captain Mikko Koivu 12:14 into the third, on a penalty shot.

Other scorers for the Canadiens were Andrei Kostitsyn, James Wisniewski, Travis Moen and Tom Pyatt. Benoit Pouliot had three assists in his first trip back to Minnesota since leaving the Wild to join the Habs. Auld had an assist. And all the Canadiens fans who made the trip from all over left a very happy group.

The massive win pulled the Habs to within one point of the idle Boston Bruins in the Northeast Division, though the Bruins – who entertain the Canadiens on Thursday in Boston – have two games in hand.

Montreal is home to Buffalo on Tuesday, in Boston then back home to Washington on Saturday.

1. HABSsince92 says:

Great game all around….special shouts to ALex Auld for a stellar day and he deserved the SO, Ryan White for the Gordie Howe Hat Trick, Pouliot for 3 assists against his former team, and of course by boy PK with the hat trick and an assist for good measure. Can’t wait for Tuesday night!

2. dre1744 says:

As montreral sits right now they have a 48% chance at the playoffs if they don’t win a single game thats left.

This is a fantastic new site. I was out of line complaining about not understanding how to navigate here anymore. But 8 to 1 in Minnesota, your the best HIO.

• Rainrocket16 says:

Good to have you back Sir!! I was debating it myself too, but It’s a site we can all contribute feedback on and maybe they Gazette pro’s can amend the issues in which we may have. God bless the Habs nation for such sites! What other team has a blog site like this?

• Jim Edson says:

Ian,

This site is still not working up to the level of the old one!

Many features are non-functional or just not available.

There had to be a rush to implement this as it appears it wasn’t debugged properly!

4. rocketsglare says:

Great individual and team performance. Good to see the team finally win easily because next week will be different as the team will face much stiffer competition. Nothing like a rout to prepare the mindset of the team as the club prepares to do battle against Buffalo, Boston, and Washington for playoff positioning.

5. ragouri says:

I love the new format… very Mac-friendly. The old one was brutal for my powerbook.
    Nice to have a laugher & for Price to get some rest with all the tough games coming up. Buffalo will be pissed on Tuesday.
    Then again, I imagine Minny will be super-pissed for the Leafs!

We have the # 1 defenceman in the league, still with a lot to learn and he will show us a lot more.

I posted on here when we drafted him that he was a cross between Brad Park And Bobby Orr. But by then I had got to know him personally.
    I told PK all about how it would be in Mtl. and that if he continued on the same course that he was on, he would be the next Gawd of Mtl. He ask me what I meant and I showed him my tapes of the old days and he just drooled with excitement.

7. blu3chip says:

I just don’t get what the website designers are thinking.
    Fixing the width of the page to 1k pixels wide, fine, I guess the page will fix nicely on most screen (although it leaves huge white spaces on the sides on my wide screen). But then they decided to dedicate 1/3 of the page to commercials and links on the right. So now everything is squeezed to the left 2/3 of the page. To make matter worse, they decided to put in a bunch of social media links right beside the article, and squeezed the whole passage to the left half of the page. Because they fixed the width of the screen, the passage is now displayed on a 500 pixels strip.
    Nowadays many computer screens have resolution which are 1600 pixels wide, if not 1920 pixels wide.

Anyhow, ranting aside, what a great game!!! Hat trick for PK!!!

• idle says:

Why more sites don’t use percentage based margins is a mystery to me. I don’t think there are the same kind of issues with it there used to be.

• blu3chip says:

It is much easier to design a fancy site with fixed width than with dynamic width. Just imagine you have to make sure all the page headers, navigation bars, fancy java based displays etc to show properly with different widths (generally from 1000 pixels to 1920 pixels (HD)).
        So that part is totally understandable. However designers must make good use of those limited space. In this case (and in many other sites), they did a pretty bad job.

8. D Alcorn says:

Test post – new format

• D Alcorn says:

Not crazy about the new format :
      - no longer possible to preview posts before submitting ?
      - what happened to the edit option ?
      - my profile photo has disappeared – can’t find the fix option …
      Anyone else run into this ?

• blu3chip says:

Not sure about the preview and edit functions (I guess they were removed). But you can insert your profile picture back very easily with Gravatar.
        1. go to http://www.gravatar.com
        2. sign up for an account with the same email address you used to sign up in HI/O
        3. a confirmation email will be sent to your email. Click the link inside and activate your Gravatar account
        4. Follow the instructions and upload your profile picture(s).
        5. Once that is done, HI/O will (eventually) pick up the profile picture from your Gravatar account.

9. TorontoHabsFan says:

Since I don’t know where else to offer suggestions for the new site – which I generally like.
    1) Can you bring back the “new” icon for all new messages that were posted since last refresh?
    2) Could you bring in a thumbs up/down feature? I like those :)

• Kevin Mio says:

Thumbs up and thumbs down is coming. We are working on modifications on an ongoing basis. Some should roll out on Monday morning, while other will come in a the coming days.
      We are listening to all reader comments and feedback and taking action accordingly.
      We appreciate the feedback, and your patience.

• Bill J says:

Perhaps a thread can be made – with you guys announcing new features being worked on – this may reduce complaining ;) lol

& allow us to post thoughts as well, :)

I am coming around, the initial bugs bothered me – but site’s looking good.

• Ian Cobb says:

Frustrating for some of us Kevin. Just walk us through a little better. Please do not assume that most of us have a clue. I sure do not.

• idle says:

In fairness Ian, just as we are getting used to the new site and finding out how to make our way around it, so to I am sure are the folks at HIO getting used to their new WordPress interface.

I am sure the Gazette is not tossing gobs of money at this site or a professional development team. It’s probably mostly a labour of love by Mio, Boone et all. Give them a few days to work out the wrinkles.

10. chanchilla says:

david desharnais is in the top 20 rookies now, with everyone above him playing at least 20 more games.

11. HalifaxHabs says:

boom… 2 hat tricks in 1 night

PK gets his first hatty…

Ryan White gets a Gordie Howe hatrick… keep playin like that kiddo and you’ll have a bright future in the NHL

12. dre1744 says:

If JM was an Idiot for playing Price on Friday maybe he should be a Genious for playing Auld tonight!!!!!!!

This new site is fantastic now, I was totally out of line with my frustration! HIO 8 to 1, your the very best.!

Nice to give the edge of my seat a rest tonight.

14. Goderichab says:

This give you Cherry fans an idea of his “wisdom” and veracity? He is simply a miserable mis fit who never been successful anywhere other than dissing everyone else….
    You know what they say, when you feel like a failure, dump on others and make yourself feel better!

• filincal says:

Atleast he get’s to pucker up and give some wet ones to some NHLers. I wonder what color lingerie he wears under those FLAMBOYANT suits….

15. dre1744 says:

Gomez plays just under 18 min habs win just like i always say. Habs win with Gomez under 20 habs lose Gomez over 20.

you know things are going good when Stone hands Pyatt scores!!!!!!

16. Psycho29 says:

Sorry….Good call….I didn’t read the “rookie” part!

17. TorontoHabsFan says:

Great win! Totally unexpected romp!

Don’t know if you caught the discussion on CBC after the game between MacLean, Stock and Hrudey about the state of the game – but it was fascinating. A great example how good tv can be.

18. mrhabby says:

awesome performance…..how about at the end of year martin is considered for jack adams trophy.

big week coming up…rest up.

19. Mike D says:

What an awesome performance by our boys! PK!!!!! Love it!!!
    Hopefully this huge win will be a huge confidence booster as well.

20. Jonson says:

i know a lot of people are not so happy about this website but just give it time. we will get so used to it we will forget about the last one.

GO PK!!!!

21. SeriousFan09 says:

PK Subban is the first Habs rookie defencemen to score a hat trick according to RDS.

22. gerrybell says:

if you had told me this morning that the habs would score eight and gomez would be goal-less i would have totally believed you.

23. BKAK72 says:

What’s amazing about P.K. is that he is a rookie and performing at this level so quickly. The last time a HABS rookie had this kind of impact was in 1984 – Chris Chelios.

2011/12 D-Roster…hope so:

PK Subban + H. Gill
    Markov + Georges
    Wisniewski + Spacek

— HABS Inside/Out RIP —

• dre1744 says:

i hope they can get someone else in spaceks place like Sopel maybe!!!!

• Landof10000lakesHab says:

You may already be aware that Spacek has one more year on an over 35 contract – there is no chance that he will be going anywhere. In case you have not noticed, his play has greatly improved since back on his natural left side.

It is not likely the Habs are able to retain Wiz, based on significant salary demands. If Hammer will take Gill type $$, then he remains. Gill, Mara, and Sopel will be gone.

So…

Markov PK
        Hammer Gorges
        Spacek Weber

Picard/Emelin = 7th D

• CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

really hope that is not our defensive lineup come fall. 2 guys approaching 40 (Spacek seeming very injury prone), 2 more recovering from major knee surgery. I like Weber but he is not super skilled defensively and a pairing with Spacek couldnt be any weaker, in the literal sense. Fat chance on Emelin. If that is our D, we will finish worse next year than this one.

24. HabsFansince49 says:

Like it!
    PK Wow!
    The kids are alright!
    Like the AK46 – Eller – Cammy line. Could work.
    But Martin keeps on playing Gomez, who truly sucks even in an 8-1 victory.

25. Jim Edson says:

Something is very wrong in Minnesota.

Lemaire couldn’t hack this bunch. Todd Richards obviously is having problems motivating them as well.

Says something about the core players!

26. Everlasting1 says:

An 8 goal tally, with Gomez earning only 1 assist with 0 sog. Even Auld put up those numbers tonight lol

• blu3chip says:

By now we should have realized Gomez are not there to notch big points.
      The team is plagued with injuries throughout the season, yet we are comfortably seated in a playoff spot, with the possibility of becoming the division leader. That proves JM is not insane/incapable, he must have his reason for giving Gomez so much ice time.
      As long as we are winning, I can’t care less who is on the ice.

27. Nahlsy says:

Suck on it Cherry! Subban with the hat trick!

28. Nahlsy says:

Suck on it Cherry, Subban with the Hat Trick!

29. Nahlsy says:

White with the Brendan Shanahan Hat Trick, go White! Kelly Hrudey with the best comment he’s had on HNIC. ‘Pens played today and here’s a surprise, Matt Cooke did something stupid’

30. Kimberly2u says:

Go PK go….making up for the loss on Friday night

31. observer says:

After tonight just 1 more point to match last season! 87 points with 9 games left to play!

32. dre1744 says:

how do i put a picture in my profile ??????

33. dre1744 says:

the Montreal bulldogs are playing a great game!!!!!! I just love that shot Andrei has too bad he don’
    t use it more its a rocket!!!!!

34. Sportfan says:

White with the Gordie Howe Hat Trick !

35. Habfan29 says:

where can I get the game online? I am in florida and can’t get the CBC feed.

36. observer says:

Outstanding choke job by Buffalo. Led 3-1 with less than 2 and a half minutes left in game at home vs. Nashville. Blake Geoffrion who scored first Nashville goal scores 2 more for his hat-trick and game goes to OT. Nashville THEN wins it in first minute of OT 4-3.

37. takuto97 says:

There goes PK being impolite again, this time to the replacement goalie. Some kids will just never learn….6-0.

38. lavie says:

I am still questioning JM’s decision-making of last game. If played Auld or if pulled Price earlier, that would be a different game.

39. Strabo says:

I see White got his assist on the Subban goal, to complete the Gordie Howe hat trick!

40. takuto97 says:

3 assists for Pouliot!!!

41. observer says:

Absolutely disgusting behavior by Subban. Showing absolutely no respect for the players of his opponent – skating around the lot of them then shooting the puck into their net. He had better learn how to respect people!

42. Everlasting1 says:

Adam76, what are your ISP monthly rates for unlimited usage out east? Hi-speed?

43. The Teacher says:

I don’t like this new layout, blaaaaaaaah

44. Clutch10 says:

Go habs Go

45. Duracell3 says:

On an unrelated note, our ECHL affiliate is pretty great:

46. Strabo says:

It sounds like a Montreal home game.

47. Strabo says:

All White needs now is an assist!

48. dudurules says:

anyone know where to get this game online?

49. habs365 says:

no problem logging into the site, how do you put the picture back up

50. Rudy says:

Where is the game blog???

51. Aybara says:

Thought I would post this here too since im a little ticked off about the changes.

Have they no respect for the traditional family dinner? How about Habsinsideout having no respect for its community.

While I understand there may have been an issue with the old name, to entirely change the website without in-depth consultation of the community is simply awful.

The most pressing issue is gravatar. Yes, I should have read the fine print, but I don’t believe it is reasonable to expect that HIO would do a bit of the leg work and let us know what we are signing up for.

I created a gravatar account assuming that it would be exclusive to the HIO site. We should have been told clearly that this account attaches our avatar to every site we have posted to that supports gravatar. More importantly, it should have been made clear that a gravatar account cannot be deleted EVER. If I had known this I would never have given that website my information.

I truly enjoyed HIO and I have been a member for over two years. This change and more specifically the unwillingness to warn about infringements on privacy have made me reconsider if I want to be a part of this community. I hope that enough people are disappointed with this that some kind of change can be made and HIO will go back to being a website we all love.

52. newbrunswick troy says:

does anybody know how to re-boot my profile ????i cant see a link to edit my profile like we use to have!

53. Mattyleg says:

Okay, is my ‘face’ up yet?

Habs Inside/Out encourages lively debate,

Bugs. I put in a web site on my profile, can you get to my profile now? I used http://www.hockeyinsideout.com

Does it work???????

56. Everlasting1 says:

I’m not sold on the explanation of Les Canadiens pulling this powermove over their *Habs moniker (and coinciding revamp with wordpress). This is a corporate level move by the PostMedia Network – owners of The Gazette, in merging/expanding a larger demographic of hockey fans and advertisers. It’s not unlike a new Wal-Mart setting shop in your neighbourhood. Say goodbye to small business and embrace the change.
    Ya got limited replies, make’em count :)

*Official liscensed product of the NHL.

57. rocketsglare says:

Boys need to answer NY’s win today by winning this afternoon.

58. rocketsglare says:

Bad thing about this new format is that you can’t look up members and follow up previous comments after a while. Let’s hope this can be changed in time.

59. Kimberly2u says:

Bugs you are the best….thanks so much for your help

60. fun police says:

glad gill is back in.

61. filincal says:

One thing I don’t like about this new set up is the option or lack of ability to reply to posts from my mobile version. Oh and another thing (I guess this makes two things) that I can’t see when posts were made. Other than that it seems fine.

62. Bugs says:

Matty (sorry, we topped at 5 replies),
    Like I said, so CREATE a new id/email, and don’t go to the al-queda website with it, that’s all.

• Mattyleg says:

As in a new user on my computer?

• Bugs says:

Just go to hotmail (for example) and create a new address. Use THAT new address for your gravatar/hockeyinsideout sign-up. Your username will remain the same. Let the powers that be follow THAT email history; what difference does it make if it’s nothing to do with your real life?

• Ian Cobb says:

Someone deleted all my posts that I just made including my shoot out to thanks Robert L.

Or Am I on another page here or something else.????????

63. SLYDER says:

I’m not predicting a win for Montreal as much as I’m predicting a loss for Minnesota

Minnesota played last night and won in OT – sound familiar?

64. Kimberly2u says:

I hate not having my face on here…they should have left the site along..it was fine the way it wast…stupid Rangers went and won..now only 3 points behind us….we need to win this game

65. Kimberly2u says:

This site is stupid

• A. Berke says:

Actually it’s clever by half.
      It’s designed to do other things than the previous format and also it’s ill conceived overall (see my tirade just below).
      Cheers,
      Ali B.

66. Al Dude says:

Viva Habs

67. A. Berke says:

As I already said, I have been a member for over 4 years now and I’m not against “change” but this new format really sucks:
    - No EDIT
    - Replies are limited to 5 so far
    - No information about other posters
    - The feature that’s not acceptable at all is the relationship with Gravatar (W.P). Because the moment you log in the system start phishing your computer and places ads that they think you need. Case in point last few days I was shopping for car rental in New Zealand from my computer and guess what? I’m getting all the car rental outfits’ ads from NZ now on HIO. Is anyone else getting NZ ads? WTF NZ ads are doing here at HIO?

Furthermore, I prefer my privacy (I don’t join sites like Facebook) and I don’t want my picture/avatar appearing elsewhere whenever my email address appears for any reason. Third party controlling my information should be an absolute NO and I consider that a breach of trust (even though they may own/control The Gazette).

I’m sure not very many posters will miss me but I’ll will check back in a few weeks. If the necessary adjustments are not made, I’ll be gone. This format reeks of commercial use and abuse of our passion for Les Glorieux. After all, I can get all the pertinent news about my team elsewhere without any problem, the main reason I’ve been a member is to exchange ideas with other posters without any fear of invasions of privacy.

Salut & Cheers

Ali B.

• Bugs says:

So why not create a different email ID and do all your internet-surfing interfacing through that one? Leave your personal and professional stuff to the reg email address?

• A. Berke says:

Actually I have other email addresses. My point is Gravatar et al. have no business using my pic/avatar without my consent elsewhere and they also have no business getting into my computer to see what I’ve been doing and tailoring their ads accordingly. Both are absolute NO, NO’s.
        PS: Like I said, are you getting NZ car rental ads when you’re in HIO? I do and as I said they are phishing.
        It is a matter of principle for me.
        Cheers,
        Ali B.

• Bugs says:

I agree with you. I wouldn’t want that either, Ali. Which is why I created “L. Bugs Potter esq.” a few years back. Anyone can say and do whatever they want with him, with or without his consent, and I won’t give no nevermind because I KNOW they can’t get at his credit card, knowumsayin?
          In fact, I’m kinda curious to see what kind of ads held in store for him in this case…

• A. Berke says:

If I have to guess from your avatar: maybe baby food and diaper ads?
            Cheers,
            Ali B.

• Mattyleg says:

It’s not your email they check, but your internet history, regardless of your email address.

I don’t like that aspect either.

Change, no problem. Privacy invasion, problem.

• Aybara says:

The kicker is you can’t delete your gravatar account. Only “hide” it.

68. Goderichab says:

Hey, I’m an old f*rt, been around since Durnan, Blake, Lach and Richard…
    If there is one thing I’ve learned over the years it is that change is constant..Suck it up and adjust!
    I’d still be listening to Danny Galavan on the Radio if I had that attitude…
    Get used to it..Rotflomao…

69. Vid says:

I’m predicting a win even without Plekanec.

and on an unrelated note how have the Penguins managed to stay 4th in the East without Crosby and Malkin??

70. light_n_tasty says:

Just seeing if my Crapatar is totally awesome as usual.

71. Bugs says: