Game 72: Leafs snap Canadiens’ win streak

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak makes a pad save behind Maple
Leafs forward Nikolai Kulemin and Canadiens defenceman Hal Gill Saturday night.
Mike
Cassese, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Benoit Pouliot | Jaro Halak | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens played catchup all night on Saturday, bouncing back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits to force overtime in Toronto before losing 3-2 in a shootout, snapping a season-high six game winning streak. Tyler Bozak opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs on the power play 16:05 into the first period. Brian Gionta got that one back before the end of the first on a great feed from Benoit Puliot. Gionta beat Jonas Gustavsson with a backhand shot. Phil Kessel gave the Maple Leafs a 2-1 lead near the end of the second period, beating Jaroslav Halak from the faceoff circle. Montreal came out flat in the third period despite starting the period on the power play, with only two shots on goal halfway through the period. But Fredrik Sjostrom took a tripping penalty 12:31 into the period, and Gionta tipped in a Scott Gomez shot to tie the game 2-2. It was Montreal’s only power-play goal on six opportunities on Saturday, while the Maple Leafs scored on their lone man advantage.

• Key Moments: Gionta’s goal with six minutes to play was only Montreal’s fourth shot of the third period, but it gave the Canadiens at least a point.

• What It Means: The Canadiens fall to 36-29-7 and move to 79 points with the shootout loss, moving them into a tie with the Senators and Flyers for fifth spot in the East.

• What’s Next: Montreal has a busy week ahead of it with games on Monday against the Senators at home, then in Buffalo on Wednesday to take on the Sabres, then back home to take on the Panthers on Thursday and the Devils next Saturday.

1. TomNickle says:

Please be sure to make a comment about the inevitable teachers’ strike that will accompany the Leafs not making the playoffs and generating that extra revenue for the Pension fund.

2. ed lopaz says:

have to take my son to his game -but i will leave you with this thought.

YOU might think karma is a load of crap, but ask Boone, Hickey, Stubbs, and they will all tell you that the boys in the room believe in it.

there is a strong, positive feeling in the room right now- I call it Karma, others might call it other things, but whatever you call it, NO COACH WANTS TO FOOL WITH IT.

this Karma does not take the place of professional preparation. it does not take the place of watching videos,

the Karma is present in the room – it is a great vibe that the team can do no wrong – that the wins will just keep coming – and they do.

then the team will lose – and price will play -and the sun will come up again like it does everyday.

Enjoy the game!!!

3. Big Bird says:

Going to the game tonight in Toronto proudly wearing the colours and representing Habs I/O.

Will provide my two cents from the peanut gallery afterwards.

4. Da Hema says:

Millen of necessity must be on that list. I wish to include Ray Ferraro in this dubious category (and I assume a commentator includes those in the print media) for his “it’s not bias, it’s an opinion” claim.

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

5. Bugs says:

How so?

And please (snicker), don’t use the (mmph) Hindenburg example. (guffaw)

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

6. Bugs says:

I also charge an inordinate amount of interest.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

7. TomNickle says:

It just seems to me that somebody could read that and totally misinterpret an otherwise friendly pet name.  It’s not like I just did that or anything.

8. Bugs says:

Umm… It’s Price. And it’s Iceberg. (huge imposing blocks of ice)

And I put’em together.

Hindenburg???

Nice.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

9. TomNickle says:

I have to ask.  Is Priceberg a metaphor for him being on an island or a play on words comparing him to the Hindenburg?

10. TomNickle says:

Greg Millen really shouldn’t be excluded from that list either.

I love listening to Gord Miller say that somebody “MISSED JUST WIDE” when the puck missed by at least 4 feet.  That makes me smile.

11. TomNickle says:

You give people too much credit.

12. solomio says:

I can’t watch this shite anymore !

solomio

13. TomNickle says:

You aren’t giving them enough credit Ed.  These guys are looking at film everyday, reviewing their mistakes.  They know why they lose games and they aren’t going to chalk it up to Carey Price being in net if they lose.  They’re professionals.

14. Bugs says:

To start up interesting debates, I’d imagine.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

15. mark_13 says:

It’s got to be Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley hands down!

16. Bugs says:

Considering that bait could be misinterpreted by both parties as a call to arms, I don’t think so.

I mean it: Halak is good AND lucky. Show-stopping saves and game-saving posts, hot dang.

My favourite kinda goalie, personally.

But not that the Priceberg is a lesser goalie for his display of skills in that regard just because his season hasn’t gone the way we’d have liked it to.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

17. TomNickle says:

Didn’t you see what I told you about my tie?  I’m saying karma is a load of crap.

The winning formula is dictated by the preparation of the athletes and coaches that go into a game before hand.  And yes.  In my beer league I’ve scored in 9 straight games and haven’t fixed my garter which broke in one of the games.  Wait, that might just be laziness.

18. TomNickle says:

I’m going to go out on a limb and proclaim Dean Brown and Derek Sanderson the two worst commentators for hockey this since the early nineties.  Healy and Neale are a close second pairing.

19. ed lopaz says:

tom – you mentioned before that you’ve played competitive hockey. when you were in the room, and the team was winning, didn’t you see certain superstitions around you?

guys putting their equipment on a certain way or in a certain order

when the guys jump onto the ice, watch them

if the team is winning, they will try and repeat what they’ve done in the past – some will congratulate the little skaters with the flags, the same guys will go out first in line and last in line

the “karma” thing should not be overlooked.

its a “good feeling” – its “good luck”; its part of sports at every level

there are baseball players that will step out of the box between every pitch and follow EXACTLY the same routine, for example.

guys will knock heads with the goalie after a win – that’s for good luck – its their way of congratulating the goalie – but once they do this and they keep winning, they will keep doing it over and over.

martin is only following a long line of tradition in sports – you don’t spit in the face of a winning formula –

because if he played price tonight and the team was to lose – EVERYONE IN THE ROOM WOULD BE SURE THAT THEY LOST BECAUSE OF PRICE – its crazy, but its true.

20. shootdapuck says:

Voice of reason Ian.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

21. TomNickle says:

I hope you weren’t born with it.

22. TomNickle says:

I prefer to say that Halak is winning rather than hot.  Simply because it’s much more accurate.

He is tired of winning!

24. TomNickle says:

That gets me thinking again.  How the hell do people have the nerve to say that the organization has no assets to trade?

Bafoons!

25. Bugs says:

Maybe it’s Maybelline.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

Lapierre puck, French for peter puck! Hands of cement my friend.

27. ed lopaz says:

I agreed with you all along that halak was winning because of the team effort – the wording that halak is “hot” could be used in this case, in my opinion, ONLY BECAUSE THE TEAM IS WINNING.

here’s why.

when the TEAM wins, does Markov get a WIN? does any skater get THE WIN?

Nope.

When the TEAM wins, the Goalie of decision GETS THE WIN – he is CREDITED FOR THE WIN – in the official stats of the league.

like it or not – when a team wins, it is not crazy to refer to the goalie as being hot – with an asterisk*** maybe. – because as I have admitted many times, halak’s wins have come because the habs have played outstanding 5 man defence in front of him – I would not even credit the defenceman – I credited our 5 man crew, as you know, because we’ve discussed this before.

glad- its not me that pissed you off – I try to respect others and their opinions on this site –

28. TomNickle says:

Haha, yes indeed.  That’s wasn’t a honey covered hunk of bait was it?

29. rocket09 says:

Boys can’t get it going tonight. 0-5 on the powerplay so far and I don’t think we will get any more chances!

30. Bugs says:

Thankfully, that food is on a bridge we have yet to cross.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

31. Bugs says:

Yes, you are.

But better both than one or the other. Like Halak.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

32. TomNickle says:

Desjardins could very well be the best goaltender that we have in the system.  Now there’s some food for thought.

33. TomNickle says:

I’m not saying Price will, I’m saying he should.  Streaks aren’t defined by the karma or superstition that got them there.  I wore a tie to a playoff game of my team’s two weeks ago that was covered in coffee stains, 2 wins in a row with it on.  We lost 4-1.

Winning streaks are the result of a team’s refusal to accept failure.

Losing streaks are the result of a team’s refusal to compete for 60 minutes.

The opinion that Halak is hot annoys me, not you.

34. TomNickle says:

Better lucky than good anyway.  Am I right?

35. ed lopaz says:

tom – my friend – I sense that I’ve annoyed you – and I’ve always tried to be respectful.

you know of what you speak – you know your hockey.

but you’re on the wrong side of this one.

I’ve been around sports for along time

and I can tell you that Price will NOT START UNTIL THE STREAK IS OVER and then, depending on where we are in the standings, Price might still not start unless we have secured a playoff spot.

sorry if I pissed you off – it was not my intension. I will try and be less argumentative going forward.

that’s as nice and fair as I can get.

36. TomNickle says:

Is that Revlon, Bozo Collection Bugs?

Just kidding, I like it!

37. Bugs says:

The leafs are like Theo; they can only win if there’s absolutely no pressure.

But young master Gustaf doesn’t deserve to be labelled just yet. Reckon he’s got more chops than just luck. Imo, of course.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

38. Bugs says:

Crazy.

Completely bonkers.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

39. TomNickle says:

5-0 victory Bugs.  Everybody has been paying homage to the baby Leafs going on a winning streak.  But at the end of the day, and even during their winning streak, they’ve been running around like chickens with their heads cut off, turnovers in bad areas of the ice, bad coverages, and dare I say, LUCKY goaltending from Gustavsson.

40. wotever says:

Like the Caps right?  Now there’s a hot goalie.