Game 72: Leafs snap Canadiens’ win streak

Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak makes a pad save behind Maple
Leafs forward Nikolai Kulemin and Canadiens defenceman Hal Gill Saturday night.
Mike
Cassese, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Scott Gomez | Brian Gionta | Benoit Pouliot | Jaro Halak | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: The Canadiens played catchup all night on Saturday, bouncing back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits to force overtime in Toronto before losing 3-2 in a shootout, snapping a season-high six game winning streak. Tyler Bozak opened the scoring for the Maple Leafs on the power play 16:05 into the first period. Brian Gionta got that one back before the end of the first on a great feed from Benoit Puliot. Gionta beat Jonas Gustavsson with a backhand shot. Phil Kessel gave the Maple Leafs a 2-1 lead near the end of the second period, beating Jaroslav Halak from the faceoff circle. Montreal came out flat in the third period despite starting the period on the power play, with only two shots on goal halfway through the period. But Fredrik Sjostrom took a tripping penalty 12:31 into the period, and Gionta tipped in a Scott Gomez shot to tie the game 2-2. It was Montreal’s only power-play goal on six opportunities on Saturday, while the Maple Leafs scored on their lone man advantage.

• Key Moments: Gionta’s goal with six minutes to play was only Montreal’s fourth shot of the third period, but it gave the Canadiens at least a point.

• What It Means: The Canadiens fall to 36-29-7 and move to 79 points with the shootout loss, moving them into a tie with the Senators and Flyers for fifth spot in the East.

• What’s Next: Montreal has a busy week ahead of it with games on Monday against the Senators at home, then in Buffalo on Wednesday to take on the Sabres, then back home to take on the Panthers on Thursday and the Devils next Saturday.

1. shootdapuck says:

Voice of reason Ian.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

He is tired of winning!

Lapierre puck, French for peter puck! Hands of cement my friend.

4. wotever says:

Like the Caps right?  Now there’s a hot goalie.

5. shootdapuck says:

A true sniper. Shooting pct .071.

Reflected in 6 goals scored and -14

Less points than Max Pacioretti who was demoted to Hamilton but played 15 less games.

And being called an idiot by one from the left coast ouch!

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

6. Thurston says:

I’m positive we were crap tonight.

7. habsguy says:

Agreed,  I saw a good effort ,  except the first 10 minutes of the 3rd..

8. HABWARRIOR says:

Amen my brotha’,amen.

9. habsguy says:

no doubt….I don’t eat in Harveys anymore because of him!!!!!!!

10. HABWARRIOR says:

Hes good in shootouts u idiot…u obviously dont watch many games.

11. Les Habitants says:

same ho same ho just before they play golf they win a few games, the leafs will never change, just the way we like them….The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

12. HABWARRIOR says:

stfu and be positive….we got a point …..and u cant win em all.

13. HABWARRIOR says:

My view of the game:

Typically the Leafs always play hard against the habs.So its not unexpected that they won.The bright side is that we got a point and also u cant win em all….we won six in a row so lets not get all anal on the boys….we need to stay positive….always always always always be positive!!!That last 10min and O.T. we absolutley dominated the Laughs.They are playing for nothing with zero pressure on them.So …ya ….thats my view.

14. Thurston says:

This game can be summed up in one word: bleh.

Total crap tonight.

15. habs03 says:

Always close games with the leafs, our pp has been horrible lately without bergeron, but they came thru in the clutch to get us that important game. Big game Monday. Question, I take that Subban should be with the big club next year, I know he can be creative our the powerplay but is he good enough for us not to resign Bergeron, berrgy might be useully throught the game but on the PP he is money, even the treat of his shoot opens up our pp

16. shootdapuck says:

For comedy?

So he can yap at the puck when it doesn’t go in?

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

17. lavie says:

Not bad. We are going to fight with Ottawa who has the same 79 points.

(We can’t blame a SO loss)

18. HABWARRIOR says:

Why not throw Laps in the shoootout…He’s gold!

19. Fabio D says:

S-U-C-K-S…at a time when they should be owning teams like the Laughs, the Canadiens come out flat and lose to a team not good enough to scrape the ice off of their skates.

The team on the ice tonight will be EMBARASSED come play off time. Slow to the puck, no fights in the corners, no domination or control of the game.

20. shootdapuck says:

I really question Gomez in shoot-outs.

One move one trick pony, he’s a passer not a shooter.

“The three stars as selected by Red Fisher of the Montreal Star:
    1st star: Henri Richard
    2nd Star: Doug Harvey
    3rd Star: Jacques Plante

Final score Detroit Red Wings 5 Montreal Canadiens 3″

21. CaliforniaHabsFan says:

The whole team seemed tired.

Glad we got a point out of this. Hopefully, we can learn from this and bounce back! We need Cammy and MAB back in the line-up.

22. noelsroyce says:

All I am sayyyyyyingggg…..is give Price a chaaaaaaance!

23. hab_skill says:

Halak’s tired. I think Price should play monday.

24. solomio says:

I can’t watch this shite anymore !

solomio

25. rocket09 says:

Boys can’t get it going tonight. 0-5 on the powerplay so far and I don’t think we will get any more chances!

26. TomNickle says:

First, I don’t hate Halak.  I felt bad for him two years ago when he should have played against Philadelphia instead of Price in the playoffs after his start that he lost.  Team played well, he played well and Biron was smoking hot.

Second, as I posted earlier.  There are 11 goalies in the league with better numbers than Halak and a goaltender that has only played in 36 games at this point in the season and can’t finish with 50 is NOT a Vezina candidate.

If you’re going tout someone for the Vezina you should probably know how to spell the award.  😉

27. Clay4bc says:

Here are some answers for you…

23 W, 10 L, 2 OTL, .923 Save%.

Those are vesina candidate numbers. Why do you hate Halak so much??? Can’t you love Price and at least respect our best goalie at the same time? I can’t believe you are even arguing this, really.

_________________

Don’t argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

28. smiler2729 says:

Joe Bowen is maddenlingly bad from his condescending french pronouciations to his overused and dumb “holy Mackinaw!”, he is the worst homer

29. ed lopaz says:

have to take my son to his game -but i will leave you with this thought.

YOU might think karma is a load of crap, but ask Boone, Hickey, Stubbs, and they will all tell you that the boys in the room believe in it.

there is a strong, positive feeling in the room right now- I call it Karma, others might call it other things, but whatever you call it, NO COACH WANTS TO FOOL WITH IT.

this Karma does not take the place of professional preparation. it does not take the place of watching videos,

the Karma is present in the room – it is a great vibe that the team can do no wrong – that the wins will just keep coming – and they do.

then the team will lose – and price will play -and the sun will come up again like it does everyday.

Enjoy the game!!!

30. Da Hema says:

Millen of necessity must be on that list. I wish to include Ray Ferraro in this dubious category (and I assume a commentator includes those in the print media) for his “it’s not bias, it’s an opinion” claim.

————————

“There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge….”

–Hunter S. Thompson

31. Bugs says:

How so?

And please (snicker), don’t use the (mmph) Hindenburg example. (guffaw)

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

L.B. Potter, esq. First Bugler of the St-Habberson’s Club Red Brigade and Head Coachman to the President of Habsbros Flannel-weaving Services: http://habsbros.blogspot.com/

32. Bugs says:

I also charge an inordinate amount of interest.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

33. TomNickle says:

It just seems to me that somebody could read that and totally misinterpret an otherwise friendly pet name.  It’s not like I just did that or anything.

34. Bugs says:

Umm… It’s Price. And it’s Iceberg. (huge imposing blocks of ice)

And I put’em together.

Hindenburg???

Nice.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

35. TomNickle says:

I have to ask.  Is Priceberg a metaphor for him being on an island or a play on words comparing him to the Hindenburg?

36. TomNickle says:

Greg Millen really shouldn’t be excluded from that list either.

I love listening to Gord Miller say that somebody “MISSED JUST WIDE” when the puck missed by at least 4 feet.  That makes me smile.

37. TomNickle says:

You give people too much credit.

38. TomNickle says:

You aren’t giving them enough credit Ed.  These guys are looking at film everyday, reviewing their mistakes.  They know why they lose games and they aren’t going to chalk it up to Carey Price being in net if they lose.  They’re professionals.

39. Bugs says:

To start up interesting debates, I’d imagine.

Dubiously unequivocal, know me as

40. mark_13 says:

It’s got to be Jack Edwards and Andy Brickley hands down!