Game 7: Canadiens remain winless at home

Habs vs Leafs

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog, About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: The Canadiens remain winless at the Bell Centre this season after a 5-4 overtime loss to the Maple Leafs on Saturday night. Mikhail Grabovski scored the winning goal. Travis Moen opened the scoring 1:51 into the game with a shorthanded goal on James Reimer. The Leafs got the one back on the power play later in the period when David Steckel redirected a shot from the point. Reimer was replaced with Jonas Gustavsson for the second period and he was beaten only 29 seconds in when Andrei Kostitsyn fired a powerful wrist shot over his shoulder to give Montreal a 2-1 lead. But that lasted all of 36 seconds. Josh Gorges had his pocket picked in front of Carey Price and Phil Kessel scored his eight of the season over Price’s glove. On the power play again, the Leafs’ Dion Phaneuf wired a one-timer from the point at 4:19 to give Toronto a 3-2 lead. Things got interesting in the third period when Michael Cammalleri scored 1:27 into the period off a blistering slap shot. Gorges made up for his error earlier and gave the Canadiens a 4-3 lead when he scored on a screened Gustavsson at 9:28, but the Leafs got that one back less than four minutes later when Mikhail Grabovski scored off a goalmouth scramble at 13:07.

• What It Means: The Canadiens have lost five straight games and fall to 1-4-2, good for last place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Florida Panthers come to Montreal on Monday night before a visit from the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday. The Canadiens are then on road to Boston for a game on Thursday night, with a return visit at the Bell Centre next Saturday.

1. Brinkley says:

I can only assume that if the Loses continue and it affects seat sales – Geoff Molson might decide that enough is enough. Hopefully any changes will begin with hockey management.

2. immortalhab says:

Agree with Ron too. Although if you have to go to games at the Bell, stop booing our players. No wonder no one wants to stay there.

3. morivera says:

Huge loss that Gomez is out. He’s the straw that stirrs the drink. What will we do? You can’t replace Gomez. Everyone else has to step up and pick up the slack, Leafs are relieved and now they can put their #1 checking center or someone else.

(Ok, you can laugh now)

4. Slightly Habnormal says:

If the Habs can’t get up for this grudge match against the Leafs…there’s something seriously wrong in that dressing room. They don’t need to win but they need to show they WANT to win because, injuries aside, I don’t see much intensity coming from anyone.

_____________________________________
    The more you know the less the better!

5. morivera says:

thanks god MTL is playing against an AHL team tonight. Destroying their butt won’t mean anything until we actually play a real team.

6. Ron in Ottawa says:

Everyone is talking about what can we do? We can do the same as fans in other losing cities: don’t go to the games. The Molsons promised a winner but we are still in the era of Bob Gainey. Time for a change.

7. immortalhab says:

Totally agree with Tony.

8. Michael says:

Jacques Martin. A lot of people think he’s a terrible coach, pointing to his losing playoff record and zero championships. Others think he’s a great coach, pointing to his Jack Adams trophy (plus three nominations), 600 wins and 12-for-16 playoff qualification.

Is there anyone else out there like me, who doesn’t think he’s great or terrible? Just seems like a decent coach to me.

I think I am in that category. I wasn’t pleased with the choice of him when hired , but figured it was a safe choice.

However, I am getting concerned players are starting to tune him out.

• Thomas Le Fan says:

I suppose you could say that at the end of every season, there is one genius and twenty-nine morons.

• Kramby says:

I’m in that group too. He is a improvement over the previous coaches we have had. I don’t think the guys have tuned him out, they just don’t seem to be playing on the same page, just missing passes by a bit. Hitting a few posts and not getting the bounces, it will turn around.

• Tony McLean says:

It’s his failures with young players and his boring boring style that kills me. I see D’Agostino scored a beauty last night…
      —————————————————–
      Where is the next Beliveau? The next Ferguson, Rocket, Patrick Roy? The next Lafleur? The next Scotty Bowman and Sam Pollack?

• swannyboy says:

Time for a change behind the bench,first andre,now cole,he doesn’t talk to his players,he’s not a good communicator,you can tell they don’t want to play for him..bring in Roy in this organization

9. cuzzie says:

For those who wear Pink.” I Salute You” . I will be an ugly in Movember. Thankfully it’s only 30days. Be Well My Friends!

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

10. ZepFan2 says:

Can anyone explain what the hell this is and why do I keep getting it every time I try and go to Boone’s thread?

You don’t have permission to access /wp-content/cache/supercache/www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone/liveblog-the-natives-will-be-restless/index.html on this server.

I miss the old site soooooooooo much!!
    ———————————————————————-
    Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

The Good: 1950’s to 1993
    The Bad: 1995-2011
    The Ugly: Now and until the foreseeable future

• ZepFan2 says:

♫ Wa a wa a wa… wa wa wa…don’t talk ’bout Stanley. ♫

———————————————————————-
      Welcome to the newer NHL: The National Headshot League.

• habsfan0 says:

Maybe we should get Clint Eastwood to coach this team. Oh, wait a minute..he doesn’t speak French.

• cuzzie says:

“The Ugly” not for ownership. They are laughing to the bank. Us the fans we are just a commodity.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

Weird that as more teams are added to the league it gets worse. Hmmmm just cant figure out what is wrong with this team. We should easily win 4 cups per decade doesn’t this league no who we are?

• Tony McLean says:

Good was ’50’s-1979. No more Pollack or Dryden, that was it.
      —————————————————–

12. j2w4habs25 says:

last game i am watching for awhile if they lose tonight…

Carey Price #31

13. SPATS says:

Repost of a reply below. Many here will agree I’m sure…

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

14. Cam_1 says:

I am a Habs fan and want whats best for them. Therefore go Leafs go just for tonight. I want some changes damn it. I want some asses fired now…hear me soft Molson brothers !!!

Stone Cold vs The Rock

First Stone Cold – “If everyone here thinks the Habs suck gimme a hell yeah ! Hell yeah ! The Habs suck and there aint a god damn thing you can do about it….and that’s the bottom line ! Cuz Stone Cold said so ! Now gimme some beers !”

and now

The Rock – “Finally The Rock has come back to….Montreal ! The Rock says the Habs suck ! The Habs need to know their role…and shut their mouths. The Rock is gonna take that legendary Habs Logo, turn it sideways, and stick it straight up their candy asses. If ya smellllllllllllll………..what the Rock…..is ……cooking !”

lol

Fire Martin Fire !!! Fire Gauthier Fire !!! Clean house clean house !!

15. habbernack says:

I they want to be the best they should hire the best regardless of language

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

• savethepuck says:

I find it strange that they aren’t aware that there are actually people in the world that make a living as translators.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

• SPATS says:

Yep, a good example is the coach of the Russian squad that went down in the planecrash (I know he was Canadian but his name and the actual team country/city escape me right now)
        Anyhow, you watch the world cup of Rugby, or KHL hockey, there are lots of coaches out there working with translators. The bottom line? The local media in those markets are more concerned about winning than playing politics with their insecurity.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

• Tony McLean says:

Larry Robinson speaks better French than Gainey and would be perfect to mentor PK.
      —————————————————–

16. The Dude says:

Must have a small fast team.
    Matters not if there’s no francophones on the team.
    The best offence is a great Defense.
    Must always play as gentlemen.
    Must always turn the other cheek.
    Franco head coaches only.
    Small fast Dcorps.
    Only play the perimeter.
    Only play one goalie.
    Long term excessive contracts for vets.
    Must get other teams unwanted players.
    Must get vets no one wants.
    Must keep fine form .
    Never wonder why!
    Stanley Cup is irrelevant.
    Must develop players for other teams.
    Must praise one goaltender and all others not needed on a team sport.
    Must hire Coaches who have won squat!
    Must believe the future hold promise.
    Must never acquire Superstars!
    And that is your 2011-12 Montreal Canadiens.

• HardHabits says:

They’ll be celebrating 100 years of consecutive play-off appearances without any Cup wins at the Bi-Centennial.

• Tony McLean says:

Funny how Boivin admitted their French only coach/management hiring policy but said nothing about the near complete dearth of French Canadian players. Wait, not *that* funny…
      —————————————————–

17. habbernack says:

On the positive side, we’re only 3 pts behind the Islander for 8th spot

ability is what you’re capable of doing.
    attitude determines how you do it

18. Feraco says:

Guys whats up with Gauthier and him freaking out about cookies?

Were they the Count’s Chocola’s?

Molson Ex mon ami

19. Windwalker says:

Coach Martin has an odd method of discipline. there is no accountability for poor performances or huge mistakes. Case in point why was Kosti back the next shift after scewing up on a face off. Pee wee players know better. How can you get player to perform with intensity when it doesn’t matter if you are -18 you’ll get lots of ice. Very disappointing. this team lacks discipline and eagerness.

20. Hobie Hansen says:

I’d like to to see Martin load up the first two lines tonight and let them loose. None of this two forwards hanging back in the neutral zone stuff.

I’d like to see Eller center the 1st line between Cole and Kostitsyn and send both wingers in on a heavy forecheck!

I’d like the second line to be centered by Plekanec with Gionta and Cammalleri on his wings.

Desharnais can center the third with Pacioretty and Moen on the wing.

Also, please take Plekanec off the point on the number one PP unit and put Subban and Weber back there. And no Darche on the PP. If you need a guy to stand in front of the net put Cole, Pacioretty or Kostitsyn there, not Darche!

And finally, put Subban-Gill and Gorges-Emelin together and limit Weber-Diaz to as little 5-5 play as possible and save them for the PP.

Thanks

21. Neutral says:

I don’t know if we’re gonna win – the lineup for tonight looks good – than again we look like the best team in the league on paper…

22. habsfan0 says:

I wonder if Brian Burke would go for a Scott Gomez for Phil Kessel trade?Maybe if we agreed to take back Mike Komisarek?

• Hobie Hansen says:

I guess we should be thankful that the Canadiens didn’t resign Mike Komisarek. The only blunder management has made in terms of picking up a brutal contract has been Gomez. But that one mistake is killing us right now.

The Spacek deal is bad but nothing compared to Gomez.

23. BadHabit says:

I didn’t have the misfortune of witnessing the stinker against the Penguins, but I’m taking my son to the game tonight. As much as I’d love to see someone paste Komo into the boards tonight, I derive much more pleasure watching him make a bad play that leads to a CH goal.

Another thing I’d love to see is a 60 minute, consistent, disciplined and passionate effort from the home team.

24. Bripro says:

Game seven! If they lose tonight, we should trash the team, fire the entire administration, hire all the GMs on HIO, and promote the Bulldogs roster.
    Then, put Gomez as the no. 1 centre, since many here feel he should be in Hamilton anyway, and trade both PK and Price for a talented 4th line centre man.
    That should make some happy, for a season anyhow.
    Then, we can take our no 1 draft pick from the shallow pool, and promote him to first line centre next year from game one.
    That should answer everyone’s hysteria.
    Good enough for all the sceptics?

25. LTHF says:

I hope sincerely that I have to retract this tomorrow, but today I can only envision those Leafs dancing around Gill like a pylon.

26. hirky says:

Leafs fans are extra excited about this years season. I am not sure why. Last year they were 4-0, then went on to only win 1 out of the next 6 and finish Oct with a 5-4-1 record(they lost the next 6 in Nov. also). This year could be a repeat of that for sure. I like the fact Phil Kessel is scoring, but only because i picked him in my pool.

I dont think the Canadiens fans need to panic, they have played well in most of their games this season they just havent been able to get the ‘W’. They are getting 30-40 shots which is promising, they usually average about 20-25. The goals will come, JM just needs to reign in the D-men to start playing his system to limit turnovers and dumb penalties.

I could see the Habs explode tonight as they are hungry for a win. I can see a Habs victory with the score about 5-2. I wish someone would teach the coach how to run a PP. The Habs were known for vaunted PP success in the past, but for the last 2 years they have only been ok in that dept. If the PP starts clicking they will go on a run of wins for sure.

GO HABS GO!

• savethepuck says:

By the middle of November, the Habs will be minimum 8th place in the East and climbing while Leafs fans will be throwing waffles on the ice again.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
      Carey Price

27. CanadienBoy says:

Gomez gone for two week ,time to put Eller at center

• Tony McLean says:

Yeah he can’t finish, let him set the table.

—————————————————–

Speaking of Komisarek, I can still see him taunting the Habs near the end of the season opener after he rag-dolled our smaller players. He was basically laughing in the players’ faces. I believe he also had six hits that night.

Toronto has a decent defensive squad so they’ve been rotating the bottom pairings (Franson/Gardiner). Komo sat out against Boston which may or may not have been one hell of a coincidence.

• Matt. says:

coincidence as in Komo wets his pants when he thinks about playing against Lucic?

• twocents says:

Steve, help me out here, what’s your point about Komisarek? Are you suggesting the Habs should feel ashamed because he was laughing at the end of the last game?

Or, are you trying to alter the light such that we’re supposed to be impressed by the fact that Toronto can afford to sit him, instead of laughing at Burke for having a guy making 4.5 million a year playing as 6/7 on your team?

I’m thoroughly confused, as confused as Komisarek has looked on many scoring plays I’ve seen over the past three years.

• 24 Cups says:

Eric – I was thinking back to how ticked off I was that Komisarek was laughing in our faces.

His signing for 4.5M is still a really bad move on Burke’s part. Gainey dodged a bullet when Komo turned down his offer. Komisarek and Franson are in a fight to hold onto the final spot on defense. Aulie is getting more seasoning with the Marlies but should challenge those two guys next year.

The Gomez deal is huge but most teams have a real clunker on their books. Some have used the AHL (Finger) or European card (Kotilak) to solve the problem. We’ll have to wait and see. There’s no hope of a Cup run if Gomez and Markov can’t play up to expectations during the next three years.

Gomez is a notorious slow starter and Markov’s health is really still a mystery to those on the outside looking in. It’s still early in the game.

“outside looking in” > That’s everyone on this site with the exception of Pat Hickey and the headmaster. Funny thing is that Pat Hickey never posts on HI/O and MB keeps most of his thoughts to himself. The rest of us (including 24 Cups) only know what we think we know. Which in my case is squat.

• twocents says:

Thanks, Steve,
          You really did leave that post up for interpretation. I pretty much agree with everything you just said. However, I didn’t catch Komo’s laughing last game.

Still though, Komo was always doing that sort of thing when he was here too. I don’t think it looks especially worse on us, given the history. Any game his team has well under control, and if he’s had a few hits, he laughs.

He also sulks when he’s losing or playing poorly, which has been often over the past four years. To some degree it illustrates the lack of discipline and focus that lies at the heart of his own inconsistency.

29. Matt. says:

The Canadiens are one of two East teams without a win at home; the Rangers haven’t even played at MSG yet, though

30. WindsorHab-10 says:

No Gomez in the lineup should mean success.

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

31. WindsorHab-10 says:

Statement game?

“Hate Bruins like a sickness”

32. savethepuck says:

I’m sure we’ll see that line for 1 shift this game along with the other 100 possible combinations you can have with 4 sets of 3. Eller’s with AK, so 2 out of 3 are together already.

“They don’t hang Conference Championship Banners from the rafters here”
    Carey Price

33. SPATS says:

You sum it up for me. I’ve been watching this team for over 40 years and the current lot are not being used according to their gifts. We are built for speed and forechecking. We now have 3 bonafide top 6 power forwards who would crash the net more if they didn’t have to play so much 2 way. Hell, you could even say we have 4 with Gio! He sure plays big. We have one of the best goalies in the league who will stand on his head more often than not to bail them out on the odd man rushes that are sure to come along with the risk/reward style of play. This is why we watch. Or should I say, this is why I’m going to stop watching. It’s getting as boring as baseball and our young players like PK and Weber don’t get to show what they have because JM has cuffed them with a governor. There is only one way out. A new system. How do we get that? A few more losses? A few more injuries? Bottom line, when I watch golf, I watch Mickelson, Bubba Watson and John Daly, I don’t watch Mark Wilson, Bill Haas etc. I want to be entertained not bored by beige.

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!

34. SPATS says:

I use a nailgun… seriously, I’ve been a carpenter for 30 yrs Shiloh…;)

OOH AAH – HABS ON THE WARPATH!