Game 7 looms tonight for Rangers-Capitals

Braden Holtby

Washington Capitals goalie Braden Holtby satisfies his thirst during Game 6.
Patrick McDermott, Getty Images

Finally – a hockey game.

The New York Rangers are home to the Washington Capitals Saturday night, the exclamation mark on what’s been an entertaining series and one that, finally, will furnish an Eastern Conference Final opponent for the New Jersey Devils.

Goalies Henrik Lundqvist of the Rangers and Braden Holtby of the Capitals – and Holtby’s mom, if CBC has its way, and guaranteed they will on the eve of Mother’s Day – will be in the Saturday night spotlight.

The preview, from NHL.com.
• The Hockey News’ Ken Campbell on the evolving status of Cap’ Alex Ovechkin
Conference finals schedule takes shape
Capitals forward Jeff Halpern, the former Canadien, shakes off rust
Rangers have faith for Game 7
Pregame analysis by Rangers coach John Tortorella

1. Bripro says:

Wow. That didn’t take long. 1-0 Rangers.

2. commandant says:

Add one guy and you are looking at

Gorges – Subban
    Markov – allen or jackman
    Kaberle – Emelin
    Diaz

Plus St. Denis, and let’s assume weber is traded away.

Where does Erskine fit?

Montreal’s D this year was definitely too much skilled puckmovers and not enough tough D. But that doesn’t mean you should go 100% in the opposite direction either.

I’m a big advocate of balance, one defensive D beside an offensive guy on each pair.

3. Grallis says:

Good day gentlemen new, but love the site! Question for all the nay sayers…Where did NY Rangers, LA Kings, Coyotes and Devils finish Last year?
    Point is, we missed the playoffs by what 4-5 wins. We really aren’t that far off. Max Pac will be better, PK will be better. Markov, if health, makes us better. Lars will be better. Gio will be healthy. DD is for real. Price will be Price.
    As a Habs from Toronto, we really have a lot to be thankful for, No Burke !LOL!
    Anyways guys enjoy the game tonight, and remember you heard it here, Caps are going to win the Cup! More talent than anyone left.

And on the 8th day the Lord said…..let there be the Canadiens

4. frontenac1 says:

Agreed Bripro.zzzzz.Jeez,I sent my son to the Beer Store at 11:00am.He’s still not back!

5. Bripro says:

….Deadsville…. zzzzz

6. frontenac1 says:

Yes,I would trade either or both Swiss Dmen for Erskine. Maybe I am biased ,living in The Limestone City,but I would still do it in a heartbeat!

7. FanCritic says:

Erskine is 32 Guys not many years left. If we’re thinking about winning a cup. I don’t think Erskine will be around when it happens.
    we’re looking at 5-10 years unless we can pull off a miracle…another 5-years Erskine’s best years will be behind him.

8. frontenac1 says:

Erskine is the guy you want out there to keep the peace,especially with all the youngins” coming up.Check out his last fight with Boulton on youtube.Brings back those wonderful memories of Big Bird!

9. Dust says:

commandant:
    When are you doing a profile on nicolas kerdiles. I like what i’ve read about him. Waiting for your take

10. frontenac1 says:

Love to see homeboys Erskine and/or Allen wearing CH! Allen is free agent this year and could be expensive.Erskine has one more year on his contract at $1.5 million. I think he could be pryed away from Caps.Maybe trade the Swiss guy?

11. commandant says:

Scott Stevens is a hall of famer. I like Dumba, but thats heady praise to put on the kid.

Dumba hits hard, but I don’t think he’s at Scott Stevens level of shut down game in his own end of the rink, and he’s definitely got some work to do before he reaches that.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

12. frontenac1 says:

With all those young D coming up in our system,it just makes so much sense having Larry behind the bench.I was at a Sens/Devils game in March and watched Larry behind the bench.He is constantly talking to his players,telling them what he wants them to do.When they come off the ice he makes sure to pat the on the back when the do it right. I just got the sense that they would do anything for him.By the way ,the Devils won 1-0. Completely shut down the Sens.

13. oneslowfiveoh says:

Have been a little worried about Tinordi becoming a quality NHL’er. No longer. This young man will be a stud on our D for years. Bealieu looks like the real deal as well. Oh my, I think I feel excitement creeping in. Hell yeah! I have a really good feeling about our future.

14. frontenac1 says:

That’s correct,I’ve never seen Dumba play.Just relaying what was said.I have read the scouts consider him high risk/high return prospect.

15. HabFab says:

Now this is interesting, the best and worse lists for Montreal;

• Bripro says:

I don’t get it. They keep editing it and taking me off the list.
      And imagine, they replace me with Celine Dion!!!
      I must have done something really evil in a previous life.

16. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

I’ve noticed that there are a lot of big, tough, nasty D-Men on the market this summer. We could have a chance to add toughness, grit, and stabillity to our bluline for next season.

To name a few: Bryan Allen, Matt Carkner, Sheldon Brookbank, John Scott, John Erskine.

If we sign 2 or 3 of these players, Price will have a 100% clear crease for the forseable future, and our team will have a ligitimate intimidation factor.

• commandant says:

Not interested in Carkner, Brookbank, Scott, etc…. we have enough 3rd pairing dmen.

I’d like to bring in an Allen, or a Barrett Jackman, or a Brad Stuart. We need a guy who can be a true top 4 defenceman and play 20+ minutes per game.

I agree we need to clear Price’s crease and have a physical presence back there, but it needs to be against the top 6 on the other team. If we can’t stop scoring lines, there is not much point IMO.

Visit Your NHL Draft Headquarters

• Hobie Hansen says:

I don’t believe we have enough 3rd paring dmen at all. Kaberle, Diaz and Weber all stink.

From your list, Allen and Erskine would be the two best and I’d be happy if either of them were picked up.

• ZepFan2 says:

I also became an Erskine fan.
          First when he went toe to toe with Lucic. And now seeing him in these playoffs. Even with a minimal role, I still like the toughness he brings to the D. I’m sure Price would like watching him clear the crease.

———————————————————————-
          “Bring it on home, Bring it on home to you…” – Plant/Page

Bring it on Home

• boing007 says:

How about Matt Hendricks?

Richard R
            Price is an oyster. Unfortunately not all oysters produce pearls.

• Old Bald Bird says:

With so many D guys coming up in the next few years, we need to be careful about whom we sign and for how long. Is it better just to stumble through until some of them are ready? It’s not like the Habs are going to compete for the cup in the next few years, or at least I don’t see it happening. Do we really want to grasp those temporary fixes once again?

17. frontenac1 says:

On L”Antichambre last night,they were talking about who the Habs should draft,Damphouse said if they want a forward take Galchenyuk,if they want a defenseman take Dumba.Then Gaston said ,Yes Dumba could be the next Scott Stevens.To which Vinny replied,”I played against Scott Stevens.He is not going to be the Next Scott Stevens,He IS Scott Stevens!”

18. Hobie Hansen says:

Was just watching the sports highlights and the analyst was dogging Robinson’s agent for saying that he’d love to come to Montreal as an assistant next season.

Wouldn’t that be something. At least then we’d have a guarantee of having at least one amazing coach behind the bench. I agree with posters that were saying he is the best available man out there to coach the defense.

Bergevin is still only getting his feet wet at this point but I’m getting the sense that the Canadiens will defiantly gain back respectability and become a contender each year again.

I hope they bring in a great head coach. I kinda wanted Roy earlier on but I’m now leaning more towards a more low-key and experienced head coach.

I like Crawford as a person but I’m not thrilled about the prospect of him coaching the Habs. His bad track record in the last couple cities he coached in scares me.

And Therrien and Hartley don’t seem like a good fit for me either because they can fly off the handle and look foolish at times as well.

We need someone cool, calm and ready to get down to business who has zero interest being in the spotlight.

• Bripro says:

I found it amusing the other morning in discovering that Big Bird still has an agent. I guess the public persona requires it.
      Anyhow, his agent was saying that, although there were discussions during the Carbo years, he has not been approached this time around.
      I would love to see him in charge of our D.
      Imagine what a machine Emelin would become with Larry’s coaching.

• DorvalTony says:

That’s a pretty strange thing to write. He is assistant coach with the New Jersey devils, do you think he negotiates directly with Lamoriello and his money guys for his substantial salary and perquisites?

Btw he’s under contract ’til July 1. Stubbs’ column today is all about reuniting Larry and Carbo, check it out. montrealgazette.com

• Bripro says:

“Strange thing to write”?
          I was just relaying what was said by his agent.
          I found it surprising, but I have no idea how his contract is negotiated.
          I know when I discuss contract with my customers, there’s no legal representation. I guess with current and former athletes, they have to protect themselves.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

Jacques Martin is fairly calm…

19. DorvalTony says:

Emelin suspended for an encounter with Johan Franzen (two minute penalty in the first period). Now if he can only pay some attention to Holmstrom. I like the kid more and more. Save some for November, Al.

tony-mclean.blogspot.com

20. Mavid says:

looks like all the youngins have come to play…I was a little nervous about their chances but after yesterday..I am more optimistic and excited about the upcoming games..sucks that they are during the day..thanks to my I Pad I can catch some of the games while I sort of work…

21. Mavid says:

Did anyone catch the Canada/Fin game yesterday? What a great comeback..they zoomed in on the Finnish fans with their crazy balloon hats and stuff..some were balling like babies…I mean Canadians love their hockey..but I cannot recall every seing any crying like that…weird…

@Mavid, yah saw it, Hab in Surrey and I were wondering if perhaps one of those fans we saw after the game was our very own J.J. who posts during the season from Finland.

Nice comeback to watch, now the games start getting better.

• Max says:

Funny you mention that as my Finnish friend was at the game and he started sending out facebook posts after the first period,belittling Canadian hockey and how poor the Canadian team looked and that the Finns were taking the game without problems…yada yada yada. I responded to his post after the buzzer sounded to end the game! :)

22. hansolo says:

HabinBurlington posted this yesterday about the AK46 Radulov incident:

If they missed curfew by just an hour, was all the drama surrounding the incident justified? Wouldn’t it have been better to have administered whatever discipline might have been thought necessary but to have kept it quiet and within the team?

I can’t help thinking, if that’s all there was to it, that this was a huge over-reaction by Trotz and Poile. I mean, was it necessary for Poile to say he’s never seen anything like it? Is there a separate standard for Russian/Belarussian players than there is for North Americans, or Swedes or Czechs, for that matter?

Could JM and PG/BG have handled Grabs, SK74 and AK46 better? Is the hockey management world perhaps a tad puritanical about these matters? It almost seems like Poile and Trotz want to diminish the value of AK46 and Radulov so much that they have no choice but to bolt to the KHL. The alternative is to sign at way below market value in Nashville, while resenting how they’ve been treated, with the risk of their play perpetuating the narrative of the enigmatic Russian floater. And how does that help Nashville in the long run?

• ont fan says:

How do you fit into a new team by not abiding by the rules.You’re not a kid and you haven’t been on the team all year. So there is more to the story than just one incident. From what I have read the team leaders had no problem with the decision.

What I find most interesting Hansolo is that most media were reporting or at least furthering the rumour that the boys were spotted in the bar at 4am, then had a 45 minute cab ride back to hotel, in fact the rumour then suggested that the boys brought back some company to the hotel.

So while I understand it is not the teams responsiblity to answer to rumour/innuendo, it does seem like the team was comfortable with everyone believing the perceived extreme lateness. If indeed they were only 1 -2 hours late, while still wrong the punishment seems rather severe. However, if the boys brought company home with them, I would think they stayed Up for awhile later and expunged themselves of much energy.

Either way, the whole scenario played out awful for Nashville, as they probably hurt their chances at resigning Radulov or at the least lowered his trade value significantly. As for AK, well he ends up with probably quite a haircut on his UFA contract. Now if AK signs up with Nashville then perhaps it was a marketing genius move to lower his contract, but I don’t seem to think that was the thought process.

I guess we’ll never know, but the story being rumoured now is much less harmful than the earlier story.

• hansolo says:

Just so everyone is clear, I have no vested interest in making Radulov and AK46 out to be a pair of choir-boys. They’re young, rich, somewhat immature athletes who can be expected to behave this way periodically. I’m sure management of all pro sports teams has to deal with this stuff all the time. But let’s not forget AK46 and Radulov were the leading playoff scorers on the team — they were doing their jobs on the ice (yeah, I know, Radulov didn’t back-check — well, neither did Cammalleri). It’s the reaction in this particular case that intrigues me.

Burly, what I can’t help thinking is that there was a Macchiavellian strategy afoot to lower AK46’s and Radulov’s value, or to scapegoat them for the playoff series loss. But that means Nashville were willing to jeopardize this particular playoff run to do so — and they owed their fans, and their players, better.

As for the notion of “company,” well, I’m sure that’s not the first time in the pro hockey world that’s happened. You can obey the letter of the law about curfew but not its spirit, and it seems like, paradoxically, Nashville would have been ok with just keeping up appearances.

As for the leadership group supporting how AK and Radulov were disciplined, it’s quite easy to feed the former disinformation and whip them up into a frenzy against the wrong-doers. The show trials in Stalinist Russia taught us how easy that was to do.

• ed lopaz says:

I believe that AK and Radulov are done in the NHL.

There is no room in hockey for selfishness, and these guys epitomize that in my view.

When the chips are down, and the team is battling to move forward in the playoffs, these goofs are out breaking rules, curfews, and setting themselves apart from, and ahead of the team.

I can not imagine being the NHL GM who signs either one of these guys because if a similar scenario played out next year or especially next year in the playoffs, as an owner I would fire that GM immediately.

As I said, in my opinion, Radulov and AK are DONE as NHL`ers.

• hansolo says:

Agree completely with the principle, Ed. But I just can’t believe it was so black and white. We’re all ignorant of the facts of the case, but on the face of it, this incident doesn’t seem so unusual in pro sports. If there’s more to it, I’m all ears. I, however, would be happy to see AK46 back in Montreal with his annual 20+ goals and 100+ hits for around $3.5 million.

• ed lopaz says:

you know the expression that the “whole is greater than the sum of its parts“.

this is at play here.

the stats on paper look like they would help the team.

but the team`s morale, its collective energy, needs to rise to a level greater than the sum total of its individual statistics.

players who work against this team morale should never be brought in to the Habs dressing room knowingly.

Cammy is another example. Great talent, bad for the team.

AK 46 will NEVER play for my Habs team, and I am quite confident that Molson feels the same way.

It is not a coincidence that Cammy and AK 46 were sent packing.

It was Molson`s way of cleaning house for the new GM.

• habstrinifan says:

HabinBurlington, I agree completely with both your main point.

If the most recent revelations are correct and complete, then the punishment was excessive. And pundits insisting that the aggravation was so much worse because it was during playoffs is just excited redundancy.

Secondly, you very rightly point out the implication by the media that ‘there was more heinous’ parts to the story. I remember Pierre LeBrun very sanctimoniously pointing out in an interview that he was witholding stuff. If this is the whole story then the media again sunk to new lows.

Thirdly, I found the decision to keep them out of two games very stupid. Trotz et al did it under the pretext that it was part of the punishment term. When it really was, and I wish to stress this point, a stale set of hockey minds operating under the ‘gut feeling’ hockey cliche “that you dont change a winning line-up”. They hoped to catch lightning in a bottle twice.

It would have been a much more effective coaching strategy to sit AK46, Radulov in a quiet meeting with say Weber and the coach and point out in a stern but avuncular manner the mistake they made, the infamy they were attaching to their careers, and the waste of talent/skill it was by not having them in the line-up. In other words have the players quietly and reflectively face up to their sins and go forward in a positive frame of mind… into the next game ready to prove themselves again. The healing process would have been inclusive for AK46 and Radulov and for the entire team. Bad unimaginative coaching.

I know it is unrelated. But I thought that Trotz’s coaching on this issue was very similar to Alain Vigneault’s coaching for Vancouver. Not coming to grips with ‘reality’ and incorporating a total team solution. Unimaginative. Not taking the opportunity provided to galvanize team spirit. They could have used Shakespeare’s Henry battlefield speech with the appropriate changes.

• ont fan says:

Keeping them out for the 2nd game may have been extreme. I have to believe there were other problems in the dressing room to go that far. I’m sure other teams will have heard the real story.

• The Dude says:

Radulov can sign on my team in a heartbeat.

23. EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

Okay, after some advice and consultation from more experienced members of the commentariat, here’s the REVISED EDITION

How about this

Buy out Gomez or put him in the minors, either way MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that he is GONE come September, he can mine coal for all I care…….

put Kaberle on waivers or trade him for a conditional 7th rounder
    OR buy him out, as he would be easier to buy out then Gomez.

Trade Weber, Diaz, Our 1st round pick in 2012 and a third and fourth round pick in 2013 to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan. Due to his troubles this past season, i would think Ryan’s value has taken a substantial hit. IF HE IS UNAVAILABLE, then sign P.A Parentau as a plan B.

Sign Sheldon Brookbank, David Jones, John Scott, and Bryan Allen

the end result would be this:

Pacioretty – Desharnais – Cole
    Ryan or Parentau – Plekanec – Gionta
    Jones – Eller – Moen
    Dumont – White – Staubitz
    Blunden

Subban – Georges
    Markov – Emelin
    Allen – Brookbank
    Scott

Price
    Budaj

Roy as coach, with Robinson as an assistant

Please leave feedback

• ed lopaz says:

EastOntarioHabsFan,

I have seen Galchenyuk play a few games this past playoff season, and based on scouting reports from guys who get paid to watch this kid play, I believe he will be a very good NHL player.

He is not Bobby Ryan – but his acceleration (even after the knee injury) is absolutely excellent, and his instincts to score and to create offence are elite for his age.

Galchenyuk plays wing and can also play center.

Unless he re-injures his knee, in 2 seasons he will fit in so nicely into our lineup`s top 6 that you will forget Bobby Ryan.

So if as you propose we draft Galchenyuk, then why should we make the trade for Ryan

(also, I think there is an error in your text because you give Anaheim our 1st rounder and then we draft Galchenyuk)

re: PA Parenteau, I would think that the player there is being carried by the remarkable talents of John Taveres, but I may be proven wrong.

• Mr_MacDougall says:

I really don’t see Anaheim trading Ryan, he played much better under Bruce Budreau. Also, Kaberle will stay. I like Allen, the type of player that is missing from the back end.

We haven’t had a draft choice this high in eons, even though it may not be a spectacular draft year, lets take advantage of our crap finish and hopefully land a future all star. I am hoping it is Galchenyuk. As for the blockbuster trade for Ryan, I will pass on that. Let’s add some beef to our backend to get us through until our young Dmen are ready to play. Lets bolster our 4th line and see what we got.

I absolutely disagree with buying out Kaberle and Gomez. Gomez will probably get a kick at the can out of training camp, and if we see the same Scotty let him become my neighbour here in Hamilton. Kaberle will have trade value as we approach deadline, why hurt our capspace in a year which we realistically won’t make big noise in the playoffs.

Lets see how good Markov looks and how good Eller is developing before going all in with our hand. As it stands now I think we are sitting with a suited 7 and 9 of clubs. The flop may be hearts with 2, 3, and 5 would hate to be all in with that hand.

I will rather just check call and hope that our roster develops and see a 6, 8, 10 of clubs. Sorry for the poker analogy, but right now we don’t have a really strong hand, but it stands to reason that we will in 2 years.

• REB says:

Beaulieu and Tinordi will make the team this year or next, Patyrn and Nash are projected ready in 1-2 yrs (although the shoulder surgery Nash had may have changed that). Signing 3 UFA defencemen stops this progression cold.

With Gallagher and LeBlanc pushing for a spot, and Palushaj and Enqvist border-line players, bringing in UFAs closes the door again.

Lastly, dont trade a #3 draft choice, and definitely dont trade any draft pick in the early rounds (1-4) from next year – that draft is projected to be deep and strong.

• EasternOntarioHabsFan says:

SORRY!
      the mention of Gachenyuk was A 100% TYPO

please ignore it!!

Bruce Arthur with an article Ovie as he approaches this big game 7.

25. nshabsfan82 says:

I didn’t know where else to post this as another habs site is down, and as I know there are many others also thirsting for more Canadiens readings, I figured I would be doing a disservice by not sharing this article from this mornings paper. It is an article about a recently drafted Habs prospect in the Q: Morgan Ellis. Enjoy.
    Ellis’ wait is almost over

• Habfan10912 says:

Why thank you kindly for posting this. BTW, there is other Hab’s sites? :)

———————————–

• Old Bald Bird says:

The competition amongst out various young D’s in the next few years could be very interesting. Hopefully, they will push each other to improve and make it to the big team.

Thanks for the link nshabs, hopefully so nice foreshadowing with him learning some french, could be helpful down the road. Have a nice day.

• Viruk42 says:

Nice to see that there’s a 75% chance that a Montreal prospect will lift the Memorial Cup. Tinordi in London, Beaulieu in Saint John, Bournival and Ellis in Shawinigan.

Let’s hope the WHL team goes 0-3.

• habstrinifan says:

Thank you for the link. It is gonna be fun watching the Memorial cup with 4 MTL draft picks on centre stage.

26. ari says:

go caps go,….

I know we have some ladies here at this site who are huge hockey fans. Well it just so happens there is a casting call for some actresses for a Ladies Bikini Hockey League TV Show currently on going, just sayin’ is all.

• HabFab says:

Who is Paulina Gretzky?
      Is she better then Yakupov?
      Should we be looking at her?
      Does she seriously have what it takes?
      Is she a natural?

So many question so early in the morning,I’m exhausted now!!

• habstrinifan says:

There were some pictures of her in a link posted on the site some time back…. she has what it takes. How she got it… well I aint going there.

• Habfan10912 says:

Good morning Gerald, Frank and Cat lurking in the background. My wife has wasted so many years on trying to give me culture and all along all I needed was to find HIO. You guys are the best! Cheers.

———————————–

• Edit Bah can’t link it properly

They Call Me Shane
      “They never asked to be Canadiens, they were Chosen.”
      Shane Oliver