Game 7: Canadiens, Price blank Senators

Canadiens goalie Carey Price makes a save on Senators’ Mike Fisher Saturday night. Jean Levac, Postmedia News

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Mike Cammalleri | P.K. Subban | Benoit Pouliot | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Two nights after a disappointing outing against the New Jersey Devils, the Canadiens bounced back on Saturday night in a 3-0 win over the Ottawa Senators.
Andrei Kostitsyn scored his third of the season 10:54 into the first period to open the scoring after taking a from Tomas Plekanec, who attracted two Ottawa defenders on the play to open space for Kostitsyn to beat Brian Elliott with a nice shot.
Benoit Pouliot made it 2-0 for the Canadiens just after a power play expired when he corralled a rebound off the back boards and backhanded the loose back behind Elliott.
Kostitsyn made it 3-0 before the second period was up when he snuck in behind the Ottawa defence and grabbed a Michael Cammalleri rebound to make it 3-0.
Carey Price, who has started all seven games this season, won his fourth game and was solid in nets, making 19 saves for his first shutout of the season and the fifth of his career.
It was Price’s first shutout since Nov. 2008, also against the Senators.

• Key Moments: Up 1-0, Price made several good saves in the second period before his teammates added a few insurance goals.

• What It Means: The Canadiens move to 4-2-1 on the season with nine points and have won their two games against the Senators so far this season.

• What’s Next: Montreal plays fours game next week, starting with the Coyotes in town on Monday, followed by the Islanders on Wednesday. The Canadiens then hit the road to face the Islanders on Friday before coming back to the Bell Centre to welcome the Panthers next Saturday

1. adam76 says:

is that new math or something?

2. Jbird says:

Thanks – I totaly missed Gallagher’s scoring.  NEED to go to the PNE and watch a Giants Game.  What have I been thinking?

3. Jbird says:

Gomez got an assist and Benny got a goal.  And why are you crapping on Gionta?

4. fbkj says:

2 plecks > 1 plecks + 1 gomez

so yeah

adam knows

5. mrhabby says:

CBC hs no one to replace Cherry with, end of story.

6. fbkj says:

dude i recognize that you havent been knee jerk blamey lateley but you were at the forefront of dismissing team play and blaming it on price

now your dismissing prices play due to team play

this is where you SERIOUSLY reflect bro

7. dre1744 says:

Nope the people will blame Price on the lose even if he stops 39 of 40 and we lose 1 – 0 !!!!!!!!!!

8. slapshot777 says:

I hope you keep that in mind when he loses 2-1 and faces 30-40 shots. I hope you remember it was a team loss also.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

9. canada4l says:

Price made some big saves in the first and second period.  He might not have had a lot of shots but the ones he did there were quite a few difficult ones.

10. sholi2000.com says:

Great team game.  You could tell the Sens played last night.

Going to be some quiet on here for a couple days 🙂

They Call Me Shane

11. adam76 says:

Price has played well – but 17 shots?  That was a team shut out.

12. slapshot777 says:

Yeah and the other half talking about the Leafs. Even when he is referencing about something he uses Leafs clip to show his point.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

13. CHCanadien says:

I’m happy Carey got the shutout.  Well deserved!

14. CHCanadien says:

I’m happy Cary got the shutout.  Well deserved!

15. sh00n says:

Never liked Foligno, he just re-enforced my dislike for him. What a baby.

16. slapshot777 says:

Who said on here the other night that Price wouldn’t get a shut out this year.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

17. adam76 says:

LOL @ Sens army.

18. adam76 says:

Maple Leaf fans.

19. adam76 says:

Yes – cause we could not find room for a second “Tomas Plekanec”

20. Ayan_SB says:

We already have a Patrick Sharp-like player on this team, his name is Tomas Plekanec.

21. dre1744 says:

Damn  how good would Patrick Sharp look in a habs jersey right now???????

22. dre1744 says:

I know i hope this gets him going!!!!!!!!

23. dre1744 says:

Jersey plays awesome against us  and now they are stinkin it up against Buffalo  5 – 0….

24. sh00n says:

Hey! Benny finally notched one!

25. duffy says:

When is the cbc going to wisen up and dump Cherry.He spends half his time talking about what he did in the American League 50 years ago.Does anybody care .

26. dre1744 says:

Ak 46   is having himself one hell of a start too the season……  I wish others  would get going hint hint Gionta, Gomez and Benny……

27. MTLForever says:

Loving it right now

28. sh00n says:

God, I hope Andrei can keep this consistency he’s beginning to show. Imagine how much better we would’ve faired in the playoffs if he managed to do this? He can bust 60-70 points easily if he plays like this every game.

29. sh00n says:

Holy ***, PK. That was incredible keep in on the PP.

30. MTLForever says:

Price has made some big saves when Ottawa has actually put the puck on net 😀 GO HABS!

31. Fab K says:

is the game watchable online? if so what’s the link?

32. LeCardinalRouge says:

Check out my blog where I compared the Bell Centre to the Scotibank Place!

33. HFX-HabFan says:

Chara was drafted by and debuted with the Islanders.  He is on my NYI roster.

34. DRoc says:

Thanks.

I’m 24 and this will be the FIRST time I’ve ever seen the Habs play live.

Tonight I become a man.

35. samTHEman says:

how do you forget Chara? Sens management is so horrible. Murray really F’ed that team up. His best move was keeping Spezza. I love him for that. 🙂

36. Storm Man says:

That is a exhilarating post, Saint Muller as you call him has to follow the game plan that Lord Martin put’s in as what he want’s as the game plan for the night.

37. mrhabby says:

this game and the next few are games that we should win but with parity you never know. would like to see gomez ,gionta and few others have a great stretch of games.

38. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey how bout this, Saint Muller stops screwing around with the new PP set-up and goes back to the old method to squeeze out a goal since he’s the special teams coach and our Top-6 guys start producing.

That happens, I doubt we’ll worry much about the 4th line.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

39. Chuck says:

Agree. I don’t think that it was covered in the survey, but a “Down on the Farm” section on HI/O would be fantastic.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

40. Storm Man says:

Unreal another great move by the genius JM.

41. scrowe21 says:

You should have your own section on this site with prospect updates. Sometimes its hard to find your posts but theyre always good to see.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

42. adamkennelly says:

I can’t stand this stuff.  Pyatt sits for Darche, now Boyd sits for Darche – I got an idea…GET RID OF DARCHE….I would muct prefer a tough guy sitting in the press box to be brought in once and a while – in lieu of this …freakin joke.

43. scrowe21 says:

Well on the bright side, Maxpac is off to a decent start..no goals yet but 5 assists in 5 games and hes playing a bit more physical. Avtsin only played 2 games but has a goal and an assist.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

44. scrowe21 says:

Congrats.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

45. Harani says:

Yes, no reason why he shouldn’t. Rds tweeted.

“It must be love!”

46. C3P1 says:

I still cant believe we traded cedrick the entertainer for that clown.  pg’s worst move yet

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

47. SeriousFan09 says:

For the KHL: After allowing that stinker, Toskala-style goal, Karri Ramo has now won 4 straight matches since he returned to the lineup for Avangard Omsk and allowed only 3 goals over those 4 games, his GAA has dropped to 2.01 and his save % risen to .916.

Alexei Emelin has helped Ak Bars Kazan to another win, he improves to +6 on the season with his 3G, 5A over 16GP.

For those who missed it: RW Brendan Gallagher of the VAN Giants, leading the entire WHL in goals with 15G in 14GP.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

48. Danno says:

It’s part of his ingenious motivational programme. The rotating doghouse.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

49. C3P1 says:

carey gets the call tonight?  anyone plugged in where I’m not?

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

50. HFX-HabFan says:

In the spirit of playing Ottawa tonight, and for those that didn’t see this yesterday, here is a Senators team comprised of current NHLers who all made their debut with Ottawa.  Consider:

Laich-Spezza-Alfredsson

Havlat-Vermette-Hossa

Foligno-Fisher-Neil

Z Smith-Kelly-Winchester/McGrattan

Meszaros-Salo

Phillips-Karlsson

Volchenkov-Lee/Cowen

Elliott

Brodeur (Mike)

All available for the princely sum of $59.51 million, or just $110,000 over the current salary cap.

Not a bad team up front, decent on D, and below average in net.  Probably better than the current squad they have.

51. Harani says:

RDS tweets that Dustin Boyd will sit in favor of Darche tonight? Another move JM pulled out of his behind?

“It must be love!”

52. samTHEman says:

Yup. He looked better in the D zone in the preseason. Seemed more confident and made quicker decisions than previous years. I’d like to see him tear it up all year in hamilton and see him make the team next year.

53. TomNickle says:

Pouliot is over 6′, Andrei Kostitsyn is too.

Leblanc, Avtsin.

Just chill

54. homerbowen says:

Did any Bulldog over 6′ score a goal? I’m getting concerned about the future Habs!!

55. larisalapointe says:

Agree that our team will do better, (But still love Yzerman).
    I’m a little greedier than you though, 2 Stamkos’ would be nicer, one for each top line. 🙂

56. SeriousFan09 says:

He still needs to improve in his own end according to what I’ve read to start his season in Hamilton, offensively dynamic (but that’s nothing new, he had a great rookie season on O) but another season in Hamilton I think is needed, if he improves his defensive responsibility it could make him a Hab next year.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

57. samTHEman says:

Weber has 5 Goals and 4 Assists in 5 Games. Good for him. Let him play the whole season down there to boost his confidence and then hopefully we will see him with the big club next season with Hamrlik’s horrendous contract gone.

58. TomNickle says:

I know, haha.

59. TomNickle says:

Haha.  No, I’m not putting down what you’re saying at all.  I’m not greedy either, just one Stamkos would be nice.

We do have better defense and goaltending than the Lightning.  Which is why I believe we’ll have a better final result this season.

The Lightning will really struggle when secondary scoring dries up.  Which happens quite often.

And I’ll give you a perfect example.  Last season the Senators were almost as bad as they are this year.  But they caught lightning(no pun intended in a bottle throughout large stretches of the year.  It seemed that whenever they were getting bad goaltending they could score at will and when they couldn’t score they were getting lights out goaltending.

I’ve rarely seen a perfect storm of inconsistencies leading to a good record like this.

It’s very similar to what the Lightning will need to find sustained success this season.

60. christophor says:

wrong maxwell.

wrong team.

61. larisalapointe says:

Maybe Tom but Tampa doesn’t necessarily have the better defense and definitely not the better goaltending. Lack of scoring is plaguing the team worse than individual errors. Maybe I should have said the team needs 11 Stamkos’? 🙂

62. DRoc says:

I won tickets to tonight’s game at the bar last night. I’m so excited that I can barely function!

63. TomNickle says:

Stamkos would surely make a difference but he wouldn’t have been a deciding factor in Thursday’s game.

Stamkos may be able to score but he can’t teach our defensemen to cover the back door and he can’t get the other 11 forwards to use the middle of the ice, dump the puck in, and play with jam.

64. larisalapointe says:

The verdict is not out for Boucher but Yzerman is a proven winner.
    With a guy like that at the helm, almost any coach would have to succeed in Tampa. The fact that he chose Boucher says alot but if JM had Stamkos and co. on offense to work with, could you imagine how much less lamenting and hand-wringing there would be for Habs fans? Easily, the last game vs NJ would have gone the other way.

65. TomNickle says:

Ben Maxwell fought?

Wow.

66. joeybarrie says:

You know. I know I should expect more out of Gomez. However, between him and Gio I am not worried. I know these guys will pick it up and produce. My concern for the season was AK, Price and how the new guys would do. AK seems to be playing like he is in his contract year. Price is playing very well. Our new guys seem to be doing well too. I am liking Boyd alot, Halpern is doing what we want him to and Eller looks like he is going to be very very good. Yes I know he has no points… But Pleks had ZERO points in his first 5 games with the Habs too and he was 23…

So so far I think we have started pretty good. Most of my bigger concerns have been addressed and proven to be going great. Now we need Markov to bring back our PP and we will be back on track to 6th position in the East. Even though I predict better…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…