Game 7: Canadiens, Price blank Senators

Canadiens goalie Carey Price makes a save on Senators’ Mike Fisher Saturday night. Jean Levac, Postmedia News

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Carey Price | Mike Cammalleri | P.K. Subban | Benoit Pouliot | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Two nights after a disappointing outing against the New Jersey Devils, the Canadiens bounced back on Saturday night in a 3-0 win over the Ottawa Senators.
Andrei Kostitsyn scored his third of the season 10:54 into the first period to open the scoring after taking a from Tomas Plekanec, who attracted two Ottawa defenders on the play to open space for Kostitsyn to beat Brian Elliott with a nice shot.
Benoit Pouliot made it 2-0 for the Canadiens just after a power play expired when he corralled a rebound off the back boards and backhanded the loose back behind Elliott.
Kostitsyn made it 3-0 before the second period was up when he snuck in behind the Ottawa defence and grabbed a Michael Cammalleri rebound to make it 3-0.
Carey Price, who has started all seven games this season, won his fourth game and was solid in nets, making 19 saves for his first shutout of the season and the fifth of his career.
It was Price’s first shutout since Nov. 2008, also against the Senators.

• Key Moments: Up 1-0, Price made several good saves in the second period before his teammates added a few insurance goals.

• What It Means: The Canadiens move to 4-2-1 on the season with nine points and have won their two games against the Senators so far this season.

• What’s Next: Montreal plays fours game next week, starting with the Coyotes in town on Monday, followed by the Islanders on Wednesday. The Canadiens then hit the road to face the Islanders on Friday before coming back to the Bell Centre to welcome the Panthers next Saturday

1. Fab K says:

is the game watchable online? if so what’s the link?

2. adam76 says:

Maple Leaf fans.

3. adam76 says:

Yes – cause we could not find room for a second “Tomas Plekanec”

4. adam76 says:

is that new math or something?

5. Storm Man says:

That is a exhilarating post, Saint Muller as you call him has to follow the game plan that Lord Martin put’s in as what he want’s as the game plan for the night.

6. mrhabby says:

this game and the next few are games that we should win but with parity you never know. would like to see gomez ,gionta and few others have a great stretch of games.

7. SeriousFan09 says:

Hey how bout this, Saint Muller stops screwing around with the new PP set-up and goes back to the old method to squeeze out a goal since he’s the special teams coach and our Top-6 guys start producing.

That happens, I doubt we’ll worry much about the 4th line.

8. Chuck says:

Agree. I don’t think that it was covered in the survey, but a “Down on the Farm” section on HI/O would be fantastic.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

9. Storm Man says:

Unreal another great move by the genius JM.

10. scrowe21 says:

You should have your own section on this site with prospect updates. Sometimes its hard to find your posts but theyre always good to see.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

11. adamkennelly says:

I can’t stand this stuff.  Pyatt sits for Darche, now Boyd sits for Darche – I got an idea…GET RID OF DARCHE….I would muct prefer a tough guy sitting in the press box to be brought in once and a while – in lieu of this …freakin joke.

12. scrowe21 says:

Well on the bright side, Maxpac is off to a decent start..no goals yet but 5 assists in 5 games and hes playing a bit more physical. Avtsin only played 2 games but has a goal and an assist.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

13. scrowe21 says:

Congrats.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

14. Harani says:

Yes, no reason why he shouldn’t. Rds tweeted.

“It must be love!”

15. C3P1 says:

I still cant believe we traded cedrick the entertainer for that clown.  pg’s worst move yet

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

16. SeriousFan09 says:

For the KHL: After allowing that stinker, Toskala-style goal, Karri Ramo has now won 4 straight matches since he returned to the lineup for Avangard Omsk and allowed only 3 goals over those 4 games, his GAA has dropped to 2.01 and his save % risen to .916.

Alexei Emelin has helped Ak Bars Kazan to another win, he improves to +6 on the season with his 3G, 5A over 16GP.

For those who missed it: RW Brendan Gallagher of the VAN Giants, leading the entire WHL in goals with 15G in 14GP.

17. Danno says:

It’s part of his ingenious motivational programme. The rotating doghouse.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

18. C3P1 says:

carey gets the call tonight?  anyone plugged in where I’m not?

_________________________________________________

Avon Old Farms: 2007, 2008 & 2010 New England Division I Hockey Champions – #5

19. HFX-HabFan says:

In the spirit of playing Ottawa tonight, and for those that didn’t see this yesterday, here is a Senators team comprised of current NHLers who all made their debut with Ottawa.  Consider:

Laich-Spezza-Alfredsson

Havlat-Vermette-Hossa

Foligno-Fisher-Neil

Z Smith-Kelly-Winchester/McGrattan

Meszaros-Salo

Phillips-Karlsson

Volchenkov-Lee/Cowen

Elliott

Brodeur (Mike)

All available for the princely sum of $59.51 million, or just $110,000 over the current salary cap.

Not a bad team up front, decent on D, and below average in net.  Probably better than the current squad they have.

20. Ayan_SB says:

We already have a Patrick Sharp-like player on this team, his name is Tomas Plekanec.

21. Harani says:

RDS tweets that Dustin Boyd will sit in favor of Darche tonight? Another move JM pulled out of his behind?

“It must be love!”

22. samTHEman says:

Yup. He looked better in the D zone in the preseason. Seemed more confident and made quicker decisions than previous years. I’d like to see him tear it up all year in hamilton and see him make the team next year.

23. TomNickle says:

Pouliot is over 6′, Andrei Kostitsyn is too.

Leblanc, Avtsin.

Just chill

24. dre1744 says:

Damn  how good would Patrick Sharp look in a habs jersey right now???????

25. homerbowen says:

Did any Bulldog over 6′ score a goal? I’m getting concerned about the future Habs!!

26. larisalapointe says:

Agree that our team will do better, (But still love Yzerman).
    I’m a little greedier than you though, 2 Stamkos’ would be nicer, one for each top line. :)

27. SeriousFan09 says:

He still needs to improve in his own end according to what I’ve read to start his season in Hamilton, offensively dynamic (but that’s nothing new, he had a great rookie season on O) but another season in Hamilton I think is needed, if he improves his defensive responsibility it could make him a Hab next year.

28. samTHEman says:

Weber has 5 Goals and 4 Assists in 5 Games. Good for him. Let him play the whole season down there to boost his confidence and then hopefully we will see him with the big club next season with Hamrlik’s horrendous contract gone.

29. TomNickle says:

I know, haha.

30. TomNickle says:

Haha.  No, I’m not putting down what you’re saying at all.  I’m not greedy either, just one Stamkos would be nice.

We do have better defense and goaltending than the Lightning.  Which is why I believe we’ll have a better final result this season.

The Lightning will really struggle when secondary scoring dries up.  Which happens quite often.

And I’ll give you a perfect example.  Last season the Senators were almost as bad as they are this year.  But they caught lightning(no pun intended in a bottle throughout large stretches of the year.  It seemed that whenever they were getting bad goaltending they could score at will and when they couldn’t score they were getting lights out goaltending.

I’ve rarely seen a perfect storm of inconsistencies leading to a good record like this.

It’s very similar to what the Lightning will need to find sustained success this season.

31. dre1744 says:

I know i hope this gets him going!!!!!!!!

32. Jbird says:

Thanks – I totaly missed Gallagher’s scoring.  NEED to go to the PNE and watch a Giants Game.  What have I been thinking?

33. christophor says:

wrong maxwell.

wrong team.

34. dre1744 says:

Jersey plays awesome against us  and now they are stinkin it up against Buffalo  5 – 0….

35. larisalapointe says:

Maybe Tom but Tampa doesn’t necessarily have the better defense and definitely not the better goaltending. Lack of scoring is plaguing the team worse than individual errors. Maybe I should have said the team needs 11 Stamkos’? :)

36. sh00n says:

Hey! Benny finally notched one!

37. DRoc says:

I won tickets to tonight’s game at the bar last night. I’m so excited that I can barely function!

38. TomNickle says:

Stamkos would surely make a difference but he wouldn’t have been a deciding factor in Thursday’s game.

Stamkos may be able to score but he can’t teach our defensemen to cover the back door and he can’t get the other 11 forwards to use the middle of the ice, dump the puck in, and play with jam.

39. duffy says:

When is the cbc going to wisen up and dump Cherry.He spends half his time talking about what he did in the American League 50 years ago.Does anybody care .

40. Jbird says:

Gomez got an assist and Benny got a goal.  And why are you crapping on Gionta?

41. larisalapointe says:

The verdict is not out for Boucher but Yzerman is a proven winner.
    With a guy like that at the helm, almost any coach would have to succeed in Tampa. The fact that he chose Boucher says alot but if JM had Stamkos and co. on offense to work with, could you imagine how much less lamenting and hand-wringing there would be for Habs fans? Easily, the last game vs NJ would have gone the other way.

42. fbkj says:

2 plecks > 1 plecks + 1 gomez

so yeah

adam knows

43. TomNickle says:

Ben Maxwell fought?

Wow.

44. dre1744 says:

Ak 46   is having himself one hell of a start too the season……  I wish others  would get going hint hint Gionta, Gomez and Benny……

45. mrhabby says:

CBC hs no one to replace Cherry with, end of story.

46. MTLForever says:

Loving it right now

47. joeybarrie says:

You know. I know I should expect more out of Gomez. However, between him and Gio I am not worried. I know these guys will pick it up and produce. My concern for the season was AK, Price and how the new guys would do. AK seems to be playing like he is in his contract year. Price is playing very well. Our new guys seem to be doing well too. I am liking Boyd alot, Halpern is doing what we want him to and Eller looks like he is going to be very very good. Yes I know he has no points… But Pleks had ZERO points in his first 5 games with the Habs too and he was 23…

So so far I think we have started pretty good. Most of my bigger concerns have been addressed and proven to be going great. Now we need Markov to bring back our PP and we will be back on track to 6th position in the East. Even though I predict better…

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

48. fbkj says:

dude i recognize that you havent been knee jerk blamey lateley but you were at the forefront of dismissing team play and blaming it on price

now your dismissing prices play due to team play

this is where you SERIOUSLY reflect bro

49. dre1744 says:

Nope the people will blame Price on the lose even if he stops 39 of 40 and we lose 1 – 0 !!!!!!!!!!

50. slapshot777 says:

I hope you keep that in mind when he loses 2-1 and faces 30-40 shots. I hope you remember it was a team loss also.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

51. canada4l says:

Price made some big saves in the first and second period.  He might not have had a lot of shots but the ones he did there were quite a few difficult ones.

52. sh00n says:

God, I hope Andrei can keep this consistency he’s beginning to show. Imagine how much better we would’ve faired in the playoffs if he managed to do this? He can bust 60-70 points easily if he plays like this every game.

53. sholi2000.com says:

Great team game.  You could tell the Sens played last night.

Going to be some quiet on here for a couple days :)

They Call Me Shane

54. adam76 says:

Price has played well – but 17 shots?  That was a team shut out.

55. slapshot777 says:

Yeah and the other half talking about the Leafs. Even when he is referencing about something he uses Leafs clip to show his point.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

56. CHCanadien says:

I’m happy Carey got the shutout.  Well deserved!

57. sh00n says:

Holy ***, PK. That was incredible keep in on the PP.

58. CHCanadien says:

I’m happy Cary got the shutout.  Well deserved!

59. sh00n says:

Never liked Foligno, he just re-enforced my dislike for him. What a baby.

60. MTLForever says:

Price has made some big saves when Ottawa has actually put the puck on net :D GO HABS!

61. slapshot777 says:

Who said on here the other night that Price wouldn’t get a shut out this year.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

62. LeCardinalRouge says:

Check out my blog where I compared the Bell Centre to the Scotibank Place!

63. HFX-HabFan says:

Chara was drafted by and debuted with the Islanders.  He is on my NYI roster.

64. DRoc says:

Thanks.

I’m 24 and this will be the FIRST time I’ve ever seen the Habs play live.

Tonight I become a man.

65. samTHEman says:

how do you forget Chara? Sens management is so horrible. Murray really F’ed that team up. His best move was keeping Spezza. I love him for that. :)

66. adam76 says:

LOL @ Sens army.

67. adamkennelly says:

I’m gonna post this everyday until it happens.  Habs need some muscle – and they need it now.  PK is being targeted and rightfully so – he needs to get that attitude in check but you still can’t have your star rookie with a bullseye on his chest and no one to do anything about it…this “everyone” pile on crap won’t work after he is already cumpled in the corner with a broken collar bone.

68. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

PK is being targeted and rightfully so – he needs to get that attitude in check

Rightfully so? Please give me an example of an attitude problem? The guys is young, exuberant and full of energy, what is wrong with that? I didn’t realize that Don Cherry influences so many people!

69. TomNickle says:

I didn’t see their messages or the context of the conversation but the advice you gave your son is never bad.

Simplistic messages are the best messages to give seven year olds too.

Simplistic messages are also the best kind to deliver to professional players who are struggling.  Complicating things for them is a sure fire way to help them maintain their struggles.

70. TomNickle says:

Somebody sends your teammate flying into your goalie and then while you’re trying to eliminate the two on one advantage that the opposition has taken in beating up one of your teammates you have a guy jump on your back and face wash you.

That’s the situation Subban was in last night.  His attitude is not a problem.  He’s letting people know that he’s not going to take their crap, and he won’t let them pull the same crap on his teammates.

If he wasn’t reacting aggressively towards these things, I’d have a problem.

Instead of spearing somebody or delivering a nasty hit to a vulnerable player, he’s telling them that their actions aren’t going unnoticed and that their will be retribution.  Or, simply put, giving them fair warning.

So.  If you have a problem with that, why the hell are you of the opinion that we need a fighter?

PS

He’s gonna have a target on his back regardless if you know what I’m saying.

Five icings that were headed into his corner were waived off by linsemen last night.

There are a lot of people who get upset at the prospect of a successful black hockey player.

71. scrowe21 says:

I didnt realize how good plekys pass was on the first goal last night…man that was awesome

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

72. redgorf says:

PK SUBBAN is apro he’s demonstrating that he love rough hockey and that’s the way he’s going to play it, every body know some players are meek,I think PK wants them to know ,that he wont be bullied with. Price bashers seemed to have gone mute lately.

73. nightmare_49 says:

Jim Matheson’s Hockey World:

It’s early in the season, but the best rookie right now isn’t Edmonton Oilers winger Taylor Hall or Boston Bruins centre Tyler Seguin or Phoenix Coyotes blue-liner Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

More Hockey World

– There have been 155 coaching changes in the NHL since Lindy Ruff went behind the Sabres’ bench in 1997 but he’s in the last year of his contract. If they continue to stumble, will he be back, along with his GM Darcy Regier? Thirteen years is a long time for any coach in one place, and often their message goes stale, or falls on deaf ears if they don’t change enough players. But if Ruff ever loses his job, he would be out of work about five minutes. Regier is good at his job, too.

74. nightmare_49 says:

from Bruce Rumours Garrioch:

If Alexandre Picard would have delivered even one hit in his two seasons with the Senators like the lick he put on Chris Neil in the second, he’d still be here.

Has anyone thought to check if that’s the real Sergei Gonchar who came over from Pittsburgh? Maybe it’s his brother Boris.

… Martin was a regular Jerry Seinfeld after the morning skate, cracking one-liners he enjoyed as much as anyone else. He was asked about the minor hockey league squad he tended goal for that had a 14-year-old Denis Potvin as its stud defenceman. A good team, Martin said. “Only problem was its goaltending,” someone teased. “Yeah,” Jacques said, without missing a beat. “Reminded me of the team I had in St. Louis.” Standing in front of him was CBC’s Greg Millen, and just out of earshot was Senators goalie coach Rick Wamsley — Martin’s puck stoppers when he coached the 1986-87 Blues.

… Inspired by Alfredsson’s heroics the night before, it took the Senators more than 13 minutes to get their first shot. Chewed out (as you hope they were during the intermission) by Cory Clouston, it took them 7:45 to get their first of the second period. Trailing and with a sense of urgency in the third, they tested Carey Price a total of three times.

Read more:   http://www.ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/2010/10/23/15807406.html

75. MontrealAtheist says:

OK, so Price shut out the Senators … Well, guess what … Jaro had a shutout, too, when the Blues beat the Penguins 1-0. Way to go, Jaro !!!

76. Bugs says:

What I said was that what you tell your 7-yr-old doesn’t apply to NHL situations. No matter how how hard your 7-yr-old “works”, Chris Pronger will still crush him. Your 7-yr-old wouldn’t last 2 minutes in the NHL, sorry to say, Loyie. So that “playing hard and going to the net” becomes this oh-so-innovative approach no one in the NHL has ever heard of, but that YOUR 7-yr-old is a master of? Gimme a break why donthca, daddy. Like all our guys are goin “ohhhh, play HARD and go to the net, ohhh; I thought it was DON’T play hard and DON’T go to the net, I thought THAT’S what it was.” Please, Loyie. Ok? Please. Spare me.

See, the thing is, and I find it weird to have to explain it, but CONTRARY to what your 7-yr-old contends with, there are OPPONENTS in the NHL who ACTIVELY work to PREVENT our players from “working hard and going to the net” by cross-checking them in the face, threatening them with serious bodily injury, hacking them in the calfs, elbowing them in the ribs, making crude comments about their loved ones, and spearing them in the nether-regions, all of this while the whistle-holders are looking elsewhere. Indeed, a substantial portion of our “working hard and going to the net” strategy is hindered thusly. So bring your 7-yr-old up here, and when he gets run over and destroyed, we’ll say it was because he din’t “work hard and go to the net” well enough. How’s that sound?

Subject 2: Eller centre on top 2 lines; who do you sink, Pleky or Gomie? The question is as simple and as complex as that. Eller hasn’t forced Jack Marty’s hand so far. He’s done nothing, and we’re winning. So let him do his own dang thing on the bottom lines and try to force Jack Marty’s hand if he’s so terrifical. You know, with his 0 pts and everything. Poolio did it. Up to Eller now.

Decadently yours, I recline as

77. emann_222 says:

Seemed that the team did a lot more things right last night however. No – I don’t agree that Pyatt showed much hope for the 2nd line – but at least the PP improved somewhat.

For more thoughts on the game please ….

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

78. volcano62 says:

We all know Jaro knows how to beat the Pens on his own.

Last night, the Habs played well in front of Price.

79. sholi2000.com says:

Way to go Jaro, but I don’t care!

They Call Me Shane

80. RGM says:

Hooray for the goalie for the St. Louis Blues. Pekka Rinne of the Nashville Predators also got a shutout last night.

I care about these two events equally.

81. 123456 says:

i watched the habs game bc i’m a habs fan. was nice to see them play a solid defensive game and price got a shutout, way to go price. i didnt watch other games

82. fbkj says:

agreed jaro played a better game, no epic defensive meltdowns contributing to a goal on price

83. OverseasFan says:

Carey’s last 2 shutouts were w/ the Senators.

So Carey Price is to the Senators what Brodeur is the Habs?

Just kiddin. I’m happy we won.

84. Caballero says:

Who is this Halak guy you are talking about? Oh yeah, another team’s goalie. You know who is playing really well also, that Tim Thomas. I hope he has a great season. Big fan of Tim Thomas. Another team’s goalie. He plays for another team, not the Habs. But I support him. Maybe I should buy a Bruins Jersey because I am a huge fan of the goalie for that other team, not a Habs jersey because he plays for another team you see. So yeah, since I love a player who is not a hab, I guess I should just go and buy his Jersey and get on that other teams discussion board, and stop wasting everyone’s time here on Habs Inside Out.

85. adamkennelly says:

86. Bugs says:

Bruce Garrioch actually BELIEVES that that “lick Picard put on Neil” and which led to a TWO-ON-ONE against is something GOOD?

See, that’s why he’s workin in Ottawa.

Ooo, that was so mean, I’m sorry I said that.

Especially since I’M from Ottawa.

Decadently yours, I recline as

87. LA Loyalist says:

Message to Ooder and Bugs, who thought my advice to my 7 year old to

1. Fight for the puck

2. Go to the net was simplistic and not applicable to the THE MONTREAL CANADIENS who are, apparently, above such things.

To quote: Submitted by ooder on Sat, 10/23/2010 – 14:45.

i hope your kid finish the game with 2 pims and -2 rating.. he might be scratched the next ;)

Sure looked like Habs were doing that quite well last night and it kind of worked out. When hockey isn’t going well for a team for a player it needs to get simplified.

Sorry Ooder. Down 1-0, my 7 year old scored the first and second goals and set up the 4th for the LA Kings Mites, sending his linemate in on a breakaway. He was responsible defensively and won face-offs, finishing +3.

Bugs suggests that my evaluation of using Eller on the 4th line is a as a waste of time is “simplistic, that we can’t move Plex or whomever to accommodate Eller learning his trade — that I can’t use analysis for 7 year olds to the NHL”

Well, with all respect, as Bugs is a great contributor and loyal fan, I disagree. If we can’t develop Eller properly upstairs then he should be back in the AHL where he can play his proper position and get ice time.

Great game last night. Poo and Kosti, areas of concern, score and Price was solid. Hopefully a confidence builder for all concerned.

“insert tagline here”

88. Say Ash says:

Please give me a Jay Leach update.

89. G-Man says:

Great night for Price and the team’s well-balanced defence and attack. Maybe, Price has turned the corner. I sure as hell hope so. The Pouliot goal may be all that’s needed to spark a streak in him- let’s hope so on that as well. AK is really capitalizing on opportunities. If Cammi gets going as well, the Habs may be able to average 3 gpg. and theat may be enuf to be a .550 to .575 club- enough to make the playoffs.

90. SeriousFan09 says:

And you classed it up by sending out your goons in the last minute!

Clouston does what he can with the roster he has and I respect it but that last-minute thing was bush league crap I expect from a whiner like Ruff.

91. ooder says:

the exact same thing that went through my head.. when Ruff sent out Kaleta and Gaustad at the end of the game

——————

88 is the new 23

Thats more like it. Solid game for the most part. Congrats to Price – well deserved. PK is a beast. But man, Habs need to get some goons. Seriously, how much can Gorges get run over without any repercussion… it`s sickening. And I hope to see the day when somebody takes Fishers head off. At the same time would love to see him in the Habs uni.

Anyway… they won. Good for them. Even Pouliot chipped in. But Senators are weak defensively so the problem playing teams like NJ and Philly will remain. But I will b!tch about it tomorrow… for now Timo is a happy camper and Go Habs Go!

Oh and is it me or did Picard actually played a very solid gameÉ

And somebody tell me – what is it the Darche brings to the table that Ryan White doesnt?

94. TomNickle says:

After Fisher’s crap at the end of the second I said out loud that he woulda had my stick in his teeth if I were on that team.

Gill was standing up for everybody tonight which was nice to see.

How nice was Eller’s hit on Regin?

When will Habs have at least one player that can counter that kind of sh!t?

96. krob1000 says:

ummmmm TOm…Ward’s no hitter is almost turning into the years worst collapse in the desert

97. Bryan says:

Picard’s been surprisingly solid this season.

And nothing.  Darche belongs on the top 2 lines in the AHL, not on the bottom 2 in the NHL.  White deserves the shot.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

98. TomNickle says:

Picard has been fantastic for the most part.

Darche brings nothing.  Nothing at all that White, Boyd, Pyatt or any player not named Darche bring.

He’s awful.  He needs to go down.

He’s never in position for a breakout it often ends up with us being trapped in our zone longer than we need to be.

99. ooder says:

the habs are kind of like detroit in that sense… they are very calm and collected when it comes to cheap shots like that.

super frustrating for a fan, i dunno what it’s like for the palyers though

——————

88 is the new 23

100. TomNickle says:

Yes I see that.  He’s still the best goalie in the league though.

Just my opinion

101. HFX-HabFan says:

Alright, everyone who predicted a San Francisco Giants-Texas Rangers matchup in the 2010 World Series, raise your hand.

You, in the back!  You’re lying!  Get that hand down!

102. TomNickle says:

How about a half point for predicting that the Rangers would get there?

103. Bryan says:

Awesome night for hockey for me.

Habs win.

Leafs lose.

My cousin gets a hat trick in a win over Bellville.

I’m going to sleep well tonight!

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

I have both Halak and Price in my pool. Both with shutouts – sweet. Lots of points for Timo.

105. HugeHabsFan says:

Had to catch the game on Express on RDS.  Just saw the crap with Fisher on Gorges near the end of the 2nd.  WOW.  You’re not kidding.  Can’t believe they didn’t call anything on those.  Very poor.

……….. “Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!” I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE. Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

106. habaddict_andy says:

WOw, Timo a happy camper. Let’s bring out the champaign. [I share your "happiness" ;)]

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

107. HFX-HabFan says:

Speaking of your predictions Tom, Carolina bounced back to take it in OT and Belleville boy Brad Richardson completed the hat trick to give the Kings a 6-4 win over the Avs.

But as for the baseball predictions, I was thinking more at the beginning of the season, not just the postseason.  I would never have imagined it.  FOX must be cringing because there’s no east coast team.  It’ll be like the ’02 World Series for television ratings.

Did Hartnel get a haircut?!

109. Rainrocket16 says:

This was a giant win for the Boys! Ottawa is a pack of dirtbags, Rutuu is garbage. So glad for Carey, he deserves it.

110. TomNickle says:

Well to be honest I made the prediction the day that they traded for Cliff Lee.

I think that’s fair…..okay, maybe a quarter point.

111. krob1000 says:

350 K savings……it is really too bad but they couldn’t have predicted White’s huge improvement…..but we really, really could use a Ryan White when these games get ugly….he isn;t a heavy weight and he may not even win many but he is a stand up guy….skates like the wind and is actually a far more skiled and intelligent hockey player than many give him credit for…..he is a keeper.  I expect him to be around before the end of the season and when he comes back up I don’t know if they’ll be able to send him down again….that kid is a pro.

112. Rainrocket16 says:

Me too, great Fantasy Hockey night!

113. TomNickle says:

Don Meehan is his agent.  You can bet your rear end he’ll be a player.

114. krob1000 says:

I don’t want to spoil a W but I played pickup at 10….saw all of the game but the last minute and a half…..got to the rink and one of the Sens fans taht was playing said it was like watching the New JErsey Devils and that it was so boring he turned it off……sound familiar? lol ……I just thought it was funny timing…..it;s a little easier to digest in a win but there was some truth to that as we were completely committed to the trap and played a ton of clog the neutral zone…..still like Showey’s suggestion and I think I may now become a lobbyist for the remove the red line group.

I think on Thursday we got the recipe for Deviled Goose Eggs…..

115. soflohabsfan says:

Yup cut it for Locks for Love great charity my nieces does it every 2 years.

116. K-hab25 says:

Tom you’re my boy and all, but Ward is the most overrated player in the NHL, IMO.

117. TomNickle says:

Crazy talk

118. JIMVINNY says:

LOL.

Sorry Tom, but that’s ridiculous.  One nice cup run does not a “best goalie in the league” make.  Besides, that was several years ago.

119. lavie says:

Habs goalie deserved a shutout tonight; ex-Habs goalie, too.

120. lavie says:

First time saw his positiveness.

121. TomNickle says:

We shall see my friend.

We shall see.

122. krob1000 says:

Have you been out in the desert? Cam Ward is a good goalei and all but I am not sure he is even top 5 …. he runs hot and cold …Ryan Miller for money is hands down the best goaltender in the game right now……he is effortless and so in control all of the time, he is a sponge and wouldn’t give up a rebound on a clapper from 15 feet off his mask….Milelr is the man right now…..maybe the only real consistent one out there right now actually.  Otehr top tier guys, the wWards, the Luongos, the KIppers, Rask, etc ….doesn;t really matter…..they are all hot and cold…Miler is always Miller……always…..that to me puts him in a class of his own.

123. Bryan says:

I have either Price or Halak in 2/3 of my pools.  That’ll help things for sure.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

124. spos080808 says:

The day you cheer for any Habs player, regular season, postseason, for fantasy purposes etc will be the day hell freezes over. You do not fool anyone, you hater.

125. spos080808 says:

And what do you bring to the table here? NOTHING!

126. Clay4bc says:

A little over the top, no?

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

127. TomNickle says:

Truth is, Kristo was ready for Hamilton at the beginning of last season, if not a half season before that.

PS.  I’m having a monster night in our pool tonight.  A huge enough night that you might not be able to catch me when it’s all said and done.

Kostitsyn – 2 goals

Vanek – 2 goals

Stastny – 2 goals

Bernier – 1 goal

Ward – pitching a no hitter.

128. Bill J says:

You know I took the time to read YOUR posts today.

And compared them to some of Timo’s posts.

Funny but the only contribution I see from YOU today is you trying to antagonize Timo, not much Hab talk coming from your posts.  At least Timo is talking about the Habs.

Funny eh ?

129. showey47 says:

Thanks for the props krob. It was just something that had crossed my mind several times in the past and the game against the devils last thursday pretty much confirmed my feelings about it. When you think about it,the red line in today’s game serves no other purpose then gives a spot for an opening face off and a faceoff after a goal(which under my idea still remains in place) and gives us a marker which dictates what is considered icing and what isn’t. Removing the red line and using your own blueline in the current set up gives the attacking team an extra 25 feet of space of which a trapping team would have to cover. This is something that would have to obviously be tried in exhibition games at lower levels of hockey before it could even be considered at the nhl level. My plan is to try to get to talk to gary bettman who appears on nhlxm 204 once in a while and throw my idea at him. I also want to ask him about a more flexible salary cap to compensate teams who have to offer more money to free agents due to much higher taxes. Its kind of an unlevel playing field where a city like montreal has like a 47% income tax or something and tampa bay has 0% state income tax.

130. SeriousFan09 says:

Prospect Update:

Not much goin’ on, Mac Bennett was a scratch tonight for University of Michigan (I suspect he’s going to spend at least 3 years in NCAA hockey, project defencemen but has favourable long-term upside from reports), seems he’s competing with at least one other freshman for ice time.

Danny Kristo was again without a point, despite being 3rd-leading scorer for UND last season and a WJC star, he’s been playing the 3rd/4th line this season, not sure if it’s his own play or fallout from that underage drinking citation. Posted at Hockey’s Future to see if anyone knows, will share what I can find. This continues, maybe Habs should pull him and send him to HAM if it keeps up over 20 games, NCAA season is far too short for coaching staff to punish him for doing something completely legal if he was in HAM or MTL (He’s 20).

Jarred Tinordi helped in a 6-2 win for London Knights over the Peterborough Petes, no points but he was +2 on the evening.

Brendan Gallagher just started his game tonight, looking to add onto a 14-game streak in points and pad his 15G already on the season.

131. Jbird says:

That was a nice goal by Eberly.

132. rocketsglare says:

A solid team win. What end to end hard work can accomplish. I am happy for both “Roof Daddy” Kostitsyn

for his two beautiful goals and for “Not Tonight” Price for his 1st SO of the season. Just a great game,  but

I was incensed that Rutuu was only assessed just 5 minutes for fighting and nothing more. Halpern should

have been assessed only 2 minutes at the most, but 5 minutes for just holding on to the guys sweater is ex-

cessive IMO. Someday some one is going to lay out that POS.

But tonight we fans can celebrate a total team win, led by yes, Andrei Kostitsyn and Carey Price. Who would

have thunk it.

133. Mattyleg says:

Well, wasn’t that nice.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

134. TomNickle says:

Robert.  I watched UND and Maine play last night.  He’s easily their best player.  And it’s not even close.

135. Bugs says:

Just thinkin about the “ifs” we had goin into the season.

-Pleky’s contract bein worthwhile “if” he played good consistently.

-K Senior livin up to draft position “if” his talents came to bear consistently.

-The Kid livin up to hype AND justifying the trade of a well-beloved saviour.

-Any other “ifs” you care to add.

I know, 7 games in, still 3 games away from the first 10-game analysis period, but so far, a lotta of these “ifs” are bein dis-“ifs”ified and instead, materialized.

So much so, I ain’t even peeved about Eller doin jack-all. Which surprises even me.

Last thing: how ’bout that kid Poolio? Not tooooo shabby, no sir.

Decadently yours, I recline as

136. SeriousFan09 says:

For a team that helped develop Zach Parise and Jonathan Toews, you think they’d bloody well know better than to waste a guy when their season is only 40 games long. Imagine what he and Avtsin could do centered by Desharnais or Maxwell on the Dogs.

Granted if that underage drinking citation was really to cover up something bigger that he did, it may be justified. Can’t let these kids come up to MTL thinking they’re above everything, we’ve seen where that leads.

137. Bill J says:

Figures “you-know-who” has logged 60 shutout minutes too tonight, problem.  Johnson is hot tonight too. lol

138. MikeMcLaren says:

And he gets it.  I say he was watching the out of town scoreboard or something.

That’s okay.  I like the goalie we have.  He’s very good.

/\\ike
    GO HABS GO!

139. Xtrahabsfan says:

Sens  are the perfect team to play against after a major collapse vs the slumping Devils….I know alot of  Price fans are basking  , his first shout-out in what  2 years …19 shots …cool.But lets not get to Carey’d away ,the Sens  are the worst team in the league.period! Poulio played good and so did Subban but shit man I don’t like it when our team gets mugged .Cris Neil is not a big man and we have no answer to a player like him or a Jordan Too Too and that’s gonna get us in the near future …this is not K.H.L. hockey. The Habs are  to soft and it must finally be addressed…Go Habs Go

140. TomNickle says:

This is what I keep trying to tell you guys that are in favour of players staying in College.

I don’t have a problem with these players getting an education.  My problem from a hockey career perspective is that they have lower quality coaches, less games, less practices and lower quality opposition and teammates.

Players who don’t regress while in College are special.

On top of that.  College coaches have only the winning percentage of their team in mind.  An AHL coach’s job is to develop his players.  A College coach’s job is to win.

If White, Subban, Maxwell, Pacioretty and Desharnais were ready to play for the Habs this season do you think anyone outside of Hamilton would care what their record was last season?

It isn’t fair of me to pigeon hole College programs like this but the ones who focus on player development instead of putting up a win are rare.  The bigger the program, the higher the focus on winning and subsequently less caring for each individual player.

141. ThirtyThree says:

Props to Price. He’s worked hard and he’s improved. Wonderful to see.

142. TomNickle says:

Mr. Boone.  On Monday we have Tom Pyatt hopefully squaring off against his big brother Taylor who I’m sure you know lost his fiancee not too long ago to a tragic accident out of country.

Can we expect a pre-game piece on the brothers Pyatt?

143. SeriousFan09 says:

College isn’t for all players, but for the ‘project players’ as it were, it’s handier as they don’t have to be signed until they graduate and it gives them more time to work their way up and do skills development especially if that talent is raw. Kristo seems to be a better player than that but NCAA’s become popular as a way to retain your projects for longer without having to sign them to a contract.

But if there isn’t real cause for Kristo because of on-ice/off-ice behaviour to be ignored than MTL should sign him and get him to Hamilton where he can start integrating into the Habs farm system and his future teammates. I think Bennett fits for Michigan but I think Kristo at this rate, without real cause is better in HAM.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

Price getting better with confidence. One part of his game that scares me is his puck handling. Every time he touches the puck, it comes right back to him in the form of a shot. He continues to hit opposition players with the puck when shooting or passing up ice. He is getting better as is Picard, Pouliot and Kostitsyn.

Even the power play looked like they practiced it for 10 min. for tonight.

145. joeybarrie says:

3-0 win on Saturday night to bring us tied for 1st in our division… STILL your insulting this team. Honestly, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

146. Clay4bc says:

Should have tried for Oshie instead of Eller…Oshie looks like the real deal.

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

147. SeriousFan09 says:

Hopefully the team steps in if this continues.

Not a good week for my ESPN team really, ugh.

148. TomNickle says:

I can’t imagine Kristo would want to stay if this keeps up.

Even worse was that they were getting killed.  4-1 with plenty of time left in the first period and Kristo was close to the only UND player generating any offense.

Oh, and he’s WAY too fast for his teammates.  They can’t keep up to him.

149. otter649 says:

Price gets his first shutout of the year & so does Halak 1-0 OT win over The Pens………

150. fbkj says:

pouliot played great

as did ak, pk and everyones favourite port’o’pottie

151. RC-51 says:

Meanwhile, the Canadiens rumors fly as they are apparently being very aggressive in their hunt for a D-man. Bieksa, aka “The rumor that will not die” is one possibility, while another source has said the Habs may have interest in the Hawks’ Brian Campbell.

152. otter649 says:

Brian Campbell to The Habs not very likely with his plus 7 million dollar ? cap hit for a few more years…..

153. TomNickle says:

The Habs have interest in Brian Campbell and Kevin Bieksa.

And Jacques Martin called me personally after tonight’s win and asked me to replace him behind the bench Monday for the game against the Coyotes so that he could attend a Rob Zombie concert.

154. dre1744 says:

can’t afford campbell…

155. blu3chip says:

Yes, we need more constructive post like this which compares Price and Halak.

Those “SHOULD HAVE KEPT HALAK” comments were by far the most useful and brilliant among all posts here.

You know what, we should rename the team from the Canadiens to the Halak. psssh screw the Habs, Halak >>>>>> Habs

Let’s shut down this site and create halakinsideout.com.

156. TomNickle says:

I want to know how you read that and maintained the ability to not laugh out loud.

157. habaddict_andy says:

I hear rumors that Markova will play next game.

158. hab_skill says:

Great game by AK, Price and PK. Did anyone notice that Cammalleri was playing centre at the end of the game? Any reason why? Looks like a pretty easy schedule this week (knock on wood). Lookin’ good!

159. SeriousFan09 says:

If there was no cap, the Habs would have taken Campbell from CHI but there is, they can’t afford his contract. I never buy into Habs rumours, For the 2+ years I have intensively tracked the Habs I’ve never seen any of these rumours turn into anything.

Habs FO is the Kremlin when it comes to information.

160. TomNickle says:

Pleks can’t win a faceoff to save his life right now.

161. HFX-HabFan says:

Chris Neil is 6’1, 215…how is that “not a big man”?!  He makes a living by fighting and throwing bodychecks.

162. habaddict_andy says:

Halak now sucks because he’s now the Bleues. I think that’s what you want to hear.

163. rocketsglare says:

Beautiful goal by Pouliot. Hopefully he took note from where he scored from and can do it

again all season long.

164. HFX-HabFan says:

Considering we have less than a million in cap space, who would be going the other way in these “rumoured possibilities”?  And don’t say Hamrlik, because no one is going to want to take that contract on.

I don’t know why people waste their time on rumour sites.

165. matmacat says:

wow, drastic reduction in SA.

166. SeriousFan09 says:

Pleks is bi-polar on faceoffs, one night he’s winning them all the next night, can’t win one to save his life.

It’s like his Breakaway versus SO stuff, he can bag it on the breakaway with regularity but give him a shootout turn and he freezes.

167. habsgod says:

this b.s. rumor is from eklund so take it for what it’s worth!

168. rocketsglare says:

P.K. was a beast tonight because he was in control all night. He used his speed, agility, and strength

all game to possess and control the puck and subsequently denied the Sens any room to mount any

credible threat. This guy is only going to get better as the season progressess.

169. ooder says:

lol at clouston complaining about the refereeing.

nothing about all the non calls for Ruutu or Fisher dumping Gorges…

nope you guys lost because of that one missed high stick.

not because JM completely out coached you.. nope non of it is your fault

——————

88 is the new 23

170. SeriousFan09 says:

VAN Giant scoring ace Brendan Gallagher continues his points streak to 15 straight games with an assist.

171. ooder says:

what a freak that kid is

——————

88 is the new 23

172. ooder says:

ok btw… watch the replay on NHL for kostitsyn’s first goal..

the pass by Plekanec was absolutely unbelievable!

——————

88 is the new 23

173. savethepuck says:

My brother told me a week ago he thought this was gonna be a breakout year for AK because now he doesn’t have to deal with the distractions associated with his brother, which has been the case the last few years. ( i.e. when your kid brother is always getting in some kind of shit, it has to affect you mentally if you care about him).  During tonight’s game he messaged me an “I told you so”.  AK has always been streaky but no one can argue he has the skills. Hope he keeps this up on a consistent basis. Congrats to Carey, well deserved SO, another monkey off your back ( it’s been a long time).  He has been solid for us every game.  Bennie finally got one, keep it up. If we had AK and Bennie playing like the both did during that stretch last year, our top 2 lines would be very strong . I have been impressed with the play of our 3rd and 4th lines all year too. Oh yeah, Laffs back to normal, 3rd loss in a row.  Laffs fans don’t think they’re in Bizzarro World anymore.

174. ZepFan2 says:

Lesnar loses!!

YESSSSS!

————————————————————————–

“Analyst: And I will say things you already know, five seconds after you yell them at your television.”

175. HabsTrueBlue says:

I didn’t want to post it here since it’s off-topic but what a fight!

176. PrimeTime says:

1st round yet!! Wow. Lesnar came on strong buy not nearly technically as good this fight. Brock got rocked!

177. ZepFan2 says:

Did you see the size of the cut on Lesnars face!?

Holy shit!

————————————————————————

178. HabsTrueBlue says:

Oh Yeah!  I thought that Cain had a chance but I didn’t expect him to tear Lesnar apart like that. Velasquez was like a hungry polar bear at a baby seal convention.

179. habs365 says:

The Habs won tonight because carey and subban played great, also the same old story like a broken record the first line did the scoring and one helper from the second line

if we don’t get the second line scoring the good teams is gonna bury us, next week will make or break us we will be playing some pretty good teams

congrats to carey on the shut out. to beat the Habs all the teams have to do shut down their first line and they’re dead in the water. very good game tonight having said that the other lines have to contribute, one line will not get it done all year.

180. mike g says:

Perfect road game….

Play a boring style, frustrate the home team by clogging the neutral zone, etc…2 points gained on a division rival. Beautiful….

Except for one thing: PK Subban.

Mark my words people, and I hope I’m really wrong here, but this kid will get hurt this year. This will happen for 2 reasons:

#1- Coaching. WTF is PK Subban doing on the ice with less than a minute left in a 3-0 game? Is JM asking for Chris Neil to pound him, or just telling the Sens to take their frustration out on our best prospect?

There’s just no advantage to the kids career to have him on the ice in that situation. The injury risk is not worth taking at all. Why this happened though is still beyond me.

#2- Lack of toughness. I have never in my life seen a hockey team allow the opposition to go after their best prospect the way the Habs let every single team to it to PK. I’ve seen it every game this year, from game 1 in TO all the way until tonight in Ottawa, where that same thing was repeated again. From the 1st shift of the game, all you see is the oppositions forwards skating at 100mph straight at PK Subban. They smash him, slash him, and chase him like none of our players. All game long this happens, and often PK has enough after a certain point and has to stand up for himself.

Ridiculous. Our best prospect should be the most protected guy on the ice. After the 1st time someone takes a run at PK, he should be defended by another one of our players. But nobody does it, and we just keep on giving them more and more free opportunities to hurt our young stud. And what makes it even worse, is that we don’t even attempt to do this to the other teams’ star players. At least pick on the other teams’ young guns if were not gonna defend our own, cuz then it balances out a little.But, we just let them do wtv they want.

Like I said I really hope I’m wrong, but all the red flags are up and nothing seems to be changing. If it’s gone like this for 7 games, it looks like it will be like that until something happens.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

181. Bob Dobbs says:

I comlpetely agree with your first point. The only thing I would add is that once we get our PP up and running then opposing teams will think twice before doing anything dirty.

182. SeriousFan09 says:

Agree, team needs to send a message to the next punk who makes a run at Subban.

183. Da Hema says:

Those are sobering points. The problem is there is no one on the Habs who can intimidate other teams. The Senators were pretty much doing the same thing to Gorges too.  One supposes Moen is the player who can do this, but it seems he is not interested in fighting anymore.

Subban will have to take care of himself. I remember when Chelios first came into the league. The Bruins and Nordiques consistently tried to run his knees, and he became a very nasty player as a result. Subban may have to put the lumber to someone to make his point. I don’t mind a penalty if the opponent deserves it.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

It happened for the past few years. YOu need to have not only goons (sheesh, we had Laraque) but every single player on the team willing to be dirty to show the opposition that running over the teammates is not acceptable. Meaning that even peaceful guys like Gionta or Gill or Boyd should get pissed once in a while and make an opposition player eat some stick along with few of their teeth and wash it down with some blood.

It is ridiculously frustrating to continue seeing guys like PK and Gorges being a target of other teams with nothing as a consequence.

185. LA Loyalist says:

I share your concerns very much, but it’s been like this in Montreal for a while. I remember when Dougie Gilmour was playing for us at the end of his run and someone ran Jose Theodore, badly, on the road in Buffalo and it was Gilmour who went and took on the guy while everyone else stood around.

Dougie has the heart of a lion, but he’s not very big. Why did he have to be the one?

How many years later and we are in the same situation? Luckily Price is big and somewhat cranky, and PK is solid but you’re right. He’s going to get run and just shouldn’t be out there.

It’s one thing for the count to not want any tough guys, but it’s another for him to not have the sense to protect our few stars.

186. Bryan says:

In the best way possible

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

187. mike g says:

You’re telling me a 2 minute penalty will make a player think twice?….

You really think a player won’t take a free pass at injuring an important player for a 2 minute penalty?..

Wow. The whole league would do it, no questions asked.

And even if we score on that PP, what if it costs us PK for a long period of time?

This should be dealt with immediately.

And this is exactly why the Flyers walked all over us in the playoffs last year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

188. SeriousFan09 says:

Being a line deeper on offence and having Pronger while we didn’t have Markov, were gassed from 14 hard games and they had the 2nd-best D group in the NHL helped. Flyers walked over us in 2008 for lacking grit, last season they didn’t even really have to goon us, we were just outmatched. Subban can and will take care of himself a lot with that stout frame and he gives out hits as good as he gets but someone should go to the mat for him soon.

The thing is crap like what Neil and Carkner pulled in the last 2 minutes should have a suspension attached to it, players creating garbage in the last 5, not just fights should get an automatic game suspension and have it bumped by a game each time they do it again.

189. mike g says:

I don’t wanna get into crazy details about our series with Philly last year…

But don’t tell me for one second that we made life hard for their players. Not one single bit, and our players were getting hammered and hammered again every single time they went into the corners.

Gionta was getting smashed. Cammy was getting hit, and so were Pleks and all of our other players.

But yet, not once did one of our guys go after THEIR “small” players like Briere, Giroux, or even take a run a the very small Kimo Timonen.

Not once. Instead we let the Flyers bruise and constantly hit our guys, and we never touched their guys. Life was good and easy for them, and was the main reason why they beat us in every statistical category in that series.

And btw, we played 14 games and they played 12 before meeting us. So lets not used the “we were tired excuse”.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

190. SeriousFan09 says:

Our skaters only had the energy to summon up one really hard skating effort for the Game 3 win that made the Flyers lives difficult I would argue. The team was built to punish a team that couldn’t keep up with our skaters and our guys were wasted out from the last two series using everything they had to win. We couldn’t make them think twice about being dirty because our PP was impotent as well, Flyers knew they could muscle the Habs and without Markov our PP couldn’t punish them. Habs beat the Flyers in that game because they played their game but they couldn’t keep up the energy, they lacked the depth to spread it out. One game we made them play against a style the team could execute on and beat them with but the personnel/energy wasn’t there to sustain it.

NJ skated to an easy 5-game rout of the NJ Devils, Canadiens had the hardest road amongst all Conference Final participants, no rest at all and they barely got a day of rest after they just outed Washington and had to go on to the Pittsbutgh series. Flyers had a crazy battle with Boston as well but they didn’t have to overcome losing Pronger (which would’ve ended them) like Habs had to overcome losing Markov. Habs had a harder overall run and it showed on a team that had only 4 productive Top-6 players.

191. mike g says:

You really can’t just admit that the Habs were totally dominated by a superior team?….

All I see is people trying to paint roses on a ruined portrait.

Even if our team was 100% well rested, and with Markov, the Flyers were a way better and tougher 5 on 5 team.

If your theory would be true about them playing dirty against us with no remorse, we would have had between 5 and 10 powerplays per game, because the Flyers would have taken cheap penalties knowing that we wouldn’t be able to cash-in without Markov. And that wasn’t the case.

There’s no arguing that. I know it might be hard to admit, but please do it.

Because now it just sounds like you would defend the Habs no matter what, and an intelligent hockey fan wouldn’t do so.

They went after our players in a legal manner because they knew they could get away with it.

And we didn’t do the same, we just let them walk all over us.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

192. SeriousFan09 says:

I know they were dominated by a superior team, that’s why I’ve said before the 12-13, 13-14 seasons are likely the Habs best run at the Cup possibilities because of Avtsin, Leblanc, Kristo and maybe others being able to step up and give the Habs that 3 lines deep of forward offence that seems critical to being able to run at the Cup if two of your Top-6 guys aren’t 100-point players like in PIT, plus a giant D like Tinordi and maybe Brendon Nash adding size back there as well. I think with all-world goaltending by Carey could get there sooner but again, that’s all-world goaltending and it can peter out (see Halak in Round 3, whose magic also wore off).

Flyers were a better 5-on-5 team yes, but with a rested team and a PP unit headed up by Markov I think the Habs would have at least given them a damn fight of the whole thing and maybe squeezed it out with goaltending performances and some PP goals, from PPs the team might have drawn had they been able to keep up their fast-skating games. Not saying we would’ve won but it would’ve been a damn fight at least.

I know if we’d faced Boston in the Conference Final and won CHI would have smoked us and if we’d squeaked by the Flyers  CHI would have blown us out as well with Keith leading their D and that Top-9 offence We’re not set to really contend the Cup yet and I know that. Maybe made it there? Yes but win? Oh no.

I know you take insults against the Flyers seriously as they are your other team but Mike, they can be exposed as long as they employ goalies who should be on Calder Cup teams, not Stanley Cup teams and the Habs PP with Markov could have made his life a lot harder.

193. mike g says:

This has nothing to do with having an intimidating player…

Anyone on the ice can stand up for a teammate.

What if someone slashes him in the face? Is it alright for one of our players to stand up for PK then? Of course it is right, I mean they’ll have hurt him. And I bet you 4 Brian Gionta’s can be on the ice when that happens and they’ll all want a piece of the player who injures PK. It doesn’t take a goon or a big player, it takes someone who respects and is willing to stand up for his teammates. It’s called team toughness.

And that’s the problem with this team. We wait for something to happen, and then we stand up for eachother.

If that same slash wouldn’t  injure PK, I bet you nobody would do anything to the opposing player. It’s happened many times already this year.

No intimidating player is needed.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

194. mike g says:

This has nothing to do with having an intimidating player…

Anyone on the ice can stand up for a teammate.

No intimidating player is needed.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

Hey, if PK breaks his stick over Fishers face next time we play them and takes a 10 game suspension I’ll be ok with that.

196. Da Hema says:

I didn’t see anyone on the Habs “standing up for each other” tonight. Isn’t that what your original concern was in the first place?

No offence, but having Gionta, Gomez, or Camalleri giving a few after-whistle shoves to opponents is hardly going to put an end to the beatings Gorges and Subban absorb.

As I said, they will have to take matters into their own hands–if they want long careers.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

Pushing – no. Doing what Cammi did to that Islanders guy only harder, well… that may deter some.

198. Da Hema says:

There was a compelling reason why no one ever screwed around with Glenn Anderson when he played with the Oilers–he was vicious. If I were Subban, I would take care of myself before I end up with a serious, career-ending injury.

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

199. spos080808 says:

Stay classy Timo

200. spos080808 says:

So slashing someone etc is going to deter a player from making a CLEAN check like the one on Camm? Really? Amazing insight you have!

I love to watch Habs play (and win) in other 5 Canadian cities… and in Florida :)

It’s really like playing a home game away from home. So many fans all over the country.

202. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Well said. Definitely a need.

203. ds says:

Montreal should just get Matt Cooke, he is a decent 3rd/4th liner with edge and takes cheap shots.  Injure ours and we’ll injure two of yours.  Also what happened to Moen?  He was supposed to be a physical player but since he came to MTL he hasn’t really done any of that.

204. SeriousFan09 says:

Cooke’s a disgrace to the league, he has no business wearing the CH.

205. ds says:

I don’t like Cooke’s cheap shots but at least with him in the lineup teams will think twice before running Montreal’s star players.  Also he is a decent depth player.

If Scott Stevens came along i’m sure you wouldn’t want him on your team either.

206. SeriousFan09 says:

I’ll take a bastard now and then if it helps the team win but Cooke shows such a reckless disregard for the health of other players it just disgusts me to no end.

Stevens… Probably the most devastating hitter in the last 30 years of the NHL but I can’t respect how he hit, his highlight reels always seem to have his elbow just conveniently making contact with the head. He caught a lot of guys clean yes but so many of his hits were just plain ugly and dangerous.

207. spos080808 says:

Never has bothered Detroit…And come playoff time the “goons” never play anyways…As long as the team sticks up for one another, like they have this season, then there is no need for a goon to play 3 minutes a game and have staged fights. What the hell does a 4th liner v. a 4th liner staged goon fight do anything. That does not protect anyone, give me a break.

208. ds says:

Well I see where you’re coming from regarding Cooke, I don’t like him either but MTL needs a player who just goes out and punishes the other team but is also not a liability like Laraque.  Detroit had the grind line of McCarthy, Draper & Maltby while Buffalo used to have Ray, May & Barnaby.  MTL has Moen & Halpern with that ability (though Moen hasn’t really shown it) but they need 1 more guy who can play but is physical.  Put them on vs the other teams top lines and suddenly the MTL skilled players will be left alone.  Chris Neil is another guy who fits that mold..  Not sure who else.  Ryan White?

209. SeriousFan09 says:

Ryan White or maybe Ian Schultz depending upon how he builds up his skating and conditioning for next seaosn. Habs could use a bit of extra jam in the bottom 6 right now though, Boyd isn’t bringing it enough and Darche doesn’t seem to have it.

210. Clay4bc says:

We need a Shayne Corson in his prime – can score, fight, and play well in both ends.

That or a Chris Nilan clone…anything like that coming up in our system? Schultz maybe?

__________________________

Fighting Ignorance since 1970 (It’s taking longer than I thought).

211. spos080808 says:

Why am I not surprised that you nothing about the Habs system. Asking “anything like that coming up in our system? Schultz maybe?”…

How about you actually watch the games, learn about the draft picks etc etc…

Oh wait, you only pay attention when the Habs lose so you can go off like Timo…

Sorry my bad brotha.

212. spos080808 says:

Your examples are garbage, no offense. Are you really saying that McLaren, Williams were trying to knock out Zednick and Saku for the playoffs? Come on now. And are you really saying if the Habs had a goon presence those plays would not have happened? Again, come on now. You are so far off pace it is not even funny…

As for Komi/Lucic, when Komi is going at Lucic all the time it was only a matter of time until he HAD to drop the gloves. Oh and yah they had Laraque ya know. You fail to mention that. Big presence Laraque had huh. Lucic would not even fight Laraque so that means NOTHING!.

213. LA Loyalist says:

Nobody is suggesting 4th line fights that prove nothing. You should go back to CEGEP and work on that reading thing.

Somebody runs one of our guys it needs to be quietly handled. Hammer used to be quite good at it, I saw him nearly twist a guy’s head off when Habs were in LA last year, behind the play, quietly, no muss no fuss. That’s professional courtesy in the NHL and we don’t have the will or the permission or the horses to do it and you will be one of the first ones WHINING when one of our best players gets taken out.

Don’t you remember Zednik against Boston? That cost us big-time, and pretty much ruined Zednik

If you’re not that old, Komisarek against Lucy? That pretty much ruined Komisarek who up until that point had been very promising for us.

Don’t you remember Saku’s eyeball?

Those who forget history are condemned to repeat it.

214. nightmare_49 says:

Steve Simmons Rant:

• Wonder why Doug MacLean is forever talking about players he drafted: If my draft record was as spotty as his, I’d keep quiet about it.

• Stat of the week: Zach Stortini played two shifts and 58 seconds for the Edmonton Oilers on Thursday night against the Minnesota Wild and ended up minus a minus-2.

• The Vancouver goaltending situation is somewhat reminiscent of the Maple Leafs of the early ‘90s, without the obvious and apparent salary-cap implications. The Leafs had Grant Fuhr and the emerging Felix Potvin in goal and it was clear that Potvin was more suited for the full-time work. Could the same thing be happening with the Canucks, where Roberto Luongo has been spotty to start the season but rookie Cory Schneider has been solid and impressive? The Canucks seem to play better for Schneider than they do for Luongo, which could cause problems. While the Leafs were able to trade Fuhr for Dave Andreychuk in the pre-huge-money-salary-cap era, it wouldn’t be so easy to move Luongo’s massive contract if the Canucks were so inclined.

more hockey talk tossed in among other sports talk…

215. samTHEman says:

Indeed. Pleky is the fuggin man! Look at Gonchar after Andrei’s shot. LMAO. Turns around like WTF??? Priceless.

216. Bill J says:

LOL – Foiled by Tomas Jagr AGAIN!

217. Seps says:

Good, solid shutout by Price.

Pouliot looks like he’s regained atleast some confidence from the goal with his almost complete dangle in the third.

AK needs to keep on shooting, he has an incredible release WHEN HE SHOOTS.

Great game by the Habs.

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game” – Carey Price

218. luca says:

CAREY CAREY CAREY CAREY, great game by the boys tonight so pumped pricer got the shutout

219. TomNickle says:

I like how this game sets up.  Playing the laziest group of forwards in the NHL and the worst group of defensemen in the NHL coming off of an embarrassing loss.

Should be a good one for the Habs.

220. nightmare_49 says:

SK24 –  Excellent Preview, here’s hoping their is more to come in the future.

221. MontrealAtheist says:

Big deal … there are probably thousands of kids in the world that played NHL 11 prior to the game and for every result imaginable there are probably a few dozen kids who got the same result with their computer game.

222. MTLForever says:

What amuses is me is that I played Ottawa in NHL 11 prior to watching the game and beat them 3-0.

223. Fansincebirth says:

I know how how good of a player Marky is and I know how much of an impact he can make in a game. My problem isn’t with Markov, it’s the whole about our PP. At this point, our PP should be clicking a whole lot more than it is and this notion of our PP not working because Markov isn`t there is BS.

Our coaching staff and those who hire and fire should have more in their little bag of tricks than this. Is our PP really a one trick pony? What happened to our depth? Surely our system can’t be solely based on one player.

If it truely is, then we still have a very long and painful road ahead of us folks and it ain’t gonna be pretty.

224. TOEmastro says:

I posted this yesterday but I don’t think anyone saw it (I was a little late on the draw) but I came across a heart-wretching video while wadding through and laughing at the parodied “history will be made” commercials for the playoffs on YouTube.

Anyways, I got to one about Vladdy Konstantinov that was well done and found a related video about his recovery after the accident in ’97.

As you recall, the NHL still put his name on the cup despite not meeting the requirements of 40 games or 1 playoff game.

225. Mothstoflame says:

226. Mattyleg says:

That’s pretty impressive.

How’s this for a check?

—Hope Springs Eternal—

227. Muckbringer says:

tsn games not available in toronto??!!!!WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

228. Bill J says:

LOL the day that TSN broadcasts a Habs game in Toronto that does not involve the Leafs ?

will be December 22, 2012.

229. dre1744 says:

Everyone loves the habs again….. THey don’t suck anymore.

230. punkster says:

Tell that monkey to put that damn thing out!

;)

231. HabFanSince72 says:

Reading that Jacques Boucher article is depressing.

Martin is really  unisinpiring isn’t he?

How the heck  did we let Boucher go?

232. TomNickle says:

A guy like Martin is good for a group of veterans.  He’ll allow them the rope to take leadership of the team and run with it.  He’ll make sure the right guys have a voice and that the team understands that he wants consistency out of them.

A guy like Boucher is great for young players because he’s all fire and brimstone.  He’s going to play the way that he feels brings out the talents of his players most.  While this might be good for building confidence and keeping the game fun for wet behind the ears players.  It might not end up being what’s best in the long run.  Focusing on strengthening weaknesses is a path better served a young team.

We’ll see how it all plays out.

233. Mattyleg says:

I don’t think Martin is uninspiring. He’s not very media-friendly, but who the hell cares? We went deep into the playoffs last year, and it takes more than a hot goalie to do that.

Carbo was very media-friendly, and very expressive behind the bench. We didn’t give a tinker’s cuss about that when he wasn’t winning games, you’ll remember.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

234. SeriousFan09 says:

They don’t give out the Jack Adams when 10 games haven’t even been played in the season.

Wasn’t Carbo the man after 07-08 and the first 10 games of the 08-09 season? Weren’t we fools for letting Julien go during the 08-09 season as well when Carbo lost the team, you know, the Julien who managed the most glorious playoff flop in over 30 years this last year?

You’d swear TBL had clinched #1 in the East already…

235. joeybarrie says:

Reading that article didn’t depress me. In fact I don’t even remember the article mentioning JM. But maybe I read the wrong article, cause the one I read was about GUY Boucher.

Martin went to the Conf. Finals last year. What has Guy done???

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

236. habs365 says:

A lot of fans is talking about how great boucher is, let him coach a team with four players to depend on to do the scoring, he wasn’t interested in coaching the Habs, he wouldn’t go with columbus, he wanted to go with a team that has talent and a good manager and he got both, kinda hard to look bad when you take a team like the TBL. I would have loved to see him coach a bunch of losers, than we would find out for real how good a coach he is, any coach can look good when you have the players to work with, martin may not be that good of a coach, and believe me he don’t have much to work with, I know we’re only six games into the season but the playoffs are not looking good in Habs land.

237. TomNickle says:

We’re a game over .500 with two regulation losses in 6 games.  One of which coming without our best scorer and both of them coming without our best player.

I would wait until the 20-25 game mark to make judgments like that.

238. Mattyleg says:

1. I agree that it’s hard to look bad with a team like that, but think back to the Therrien-coached Penguins. They had all the right players, but the coach was wrong and made a balls of it. So GB has proven that he is not capable of making a pig’s ear out of a silk purse. Which is a good start.

2. Playoffs? There are 72 games left. Please.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

239. New says:

I’m not sure Boucher wasn’t interested in coaching the Habs. If the team had quickly exited the playoffs, or Markov had been injured at the end of the season and they had not even made the playoffs, then maybe Boucher may have had an opening to consider. Really, how could management ask Martin to move up and bring in Boucher when Martin sort of accomplished something?

Besides, the problem with the Montreal Canadiens is all between the ears. Boucher can motivate (and I think he can for a whole season and more) but the team has no proof that the pro players making the big bucks won’t “lose enthusiasm” and tune him out. How many ex-coaches does Montreal need hanging around anyway?

Boone pegs it when he writes Martin-F-Brodeur. The games mean something to Brodeur, he gets pumped, and his team responds. Brodeur stops what he can see and the team makes sure he can see it. Boucher makes the game mean something. Will it last? Hope so.

240. joeybarrie says:

How do you figure we are not looking good when we are currently in a playoff position? I never understood why we seem to think we automatically will lose from here on out. We should have beaten TBY and were unlucky. Honestly, only a fool would say we are not going to make the playoffs based on our start this season. We are missing our best player and are currently 3-2-1. Meaning if we keep this up all season we will have about 96 points at the end. That would have been good enough for 5th last season, and good enough to make the playoffs EVERY YEAR for the last 10+ years.

Not so bad when the four guys you have can put in 350 points between them. Boucher is CLEARLY a very good coach. He wasn’t offered a position to coach the Habs, so it can;t be said that he wasn’t interested. We have had enough rookie coaches in Montreal. We need to see what an experienced one can do. SO FAR SO GOOD.

Back to the playoffs… How exactly are they not looking good?

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

241. HabsFanInTampa says:

Sorry habs365. Boucher is a VERY GOOD coach and MOTIVATOR. Didn’t he prove that with the Hamilton Bulldogs? It’s amazing what he has done with the Bolts. The intensity of these games remind me of the Flying Frenchmen of the 70’s. Yes, I said it. TFF of the 70’s. He, more or less, has the same core of players that the Clowns From Hollywood had the last couple of years. The difference is, he makes them accountable and his system of attack, attack and more attack has the underperforming players like Lecavalier of the last 3 years scoring and assisting. Simon Gagne didn’t play last night AND they still manhandled ATL all night. Correct me if I’m wrong, but Boucher was very interested in the Canadiens head coaching job. Unfortunately for us Habs fans, the ownership had their hands tied with Jacques Martin and his contract.

242. Seps says:

On a side note, did anyone see Spacek almost blow the shutout at the end there?  He looked like a big 10-year-old defenseman trying to pivot. He almost fell, then had to dive to try and stop alfie.  Him and Hamr saw little icetime tonight (atleast I didnt see them out there too often), why am I not surprised?

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game” – Carey Price

243. punkster says:

They had 17 and 19 minutes respectively. Not to shabby. And if you didn’t notice them then they weren’t making too many mistakes then were they.

244. lefreak says:

*long winded post about things that have 0 impact on the game tonight*…that being said i just want them to win tonight.

245. lefreak says:

Also, the headline Game 7: Canadiens @ Senators has me salivating even if it could not be further from the truth. When was the last time we had a game 7 between 2 Canadian teams in the post season?

246. Seps says:

All I remember is Subban logging 60 minutes :P

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game” – Carey Price

247. somerslovesthehabs says:

This should be a good night for the Habbies but it won’t be if they play even remotely close to the way they played Thursday night…the effort in that game was eerily reminiscent to Game 4 vs the Flyers last year…HORRENDOUS

Having said that…5-2 Habs

2 for the Captain

maybe even ole Gomer might show up

248. dre1744 says:

Great game all in all except our faceoffs. The only guy who done well was Halprin 8 – 4  = 67%

Pleks  was an awesome 2 – 11 = 15%

why doesn’t Pleks take faceoff lessons from Mr. Halprin.

249. dre1744 says:

Cause he has a bad monkey reputation to uphold!!!!!!!!!

250. icemachine says:

Great team game, Carey got it done, Hopefully Pouliot and AK remember to play like this for the rest of the week.PK needs to get a little smarter with what he does after he lays a hit in a situation like that. Should have been ready for Foglino’s retaliation.

_______________

Its time to switch to whiskey, we’ve been drinkin’ beer all night

251. daveho29 says:

Great first 2 periods, Price played a great game.

That 3rd period though, I would have rather watched the grass grow.

252. Seps says:

Ill quote the CBC announcer as he said “and the Canadiens continue their boa-constrictor play here in the third, choking out Ottawa.”  I was only excited by counting down the seconds till Price got the shutout.

“We’re not winning the Stanley Cup in the first exhibition game” – Carey Price

253. ooder says:

the 3 kids on CBC right now is just heart breaking.

kids shouldn’t have to go through this kind of ordeal

——————

88 is the new 23

254. Storm Man says:

What!!!! No Doomsday December 21, 2012, Oh no what are some of the posters on here going to do now.

255. novahab says:

What the hell is going on with the refs again, this team is going to lose Subban because teans are head hunting for him. Gionta got two penalties for touching MB and no problem but why can teams run Price over. Why was Neil and Carkner on the ice with less than  a minute to play when they are losing 3-0. Thats just gooning it up. Well Molsons I know your the owners of the classy team in the league and you don’t say anything to the league or rase a eye brow to the refs. Its ok that your young star player will have his legs broken and  players shoot pucks at him. Its ok teams run your goalie over and the refs won’t call anything against against the other teams. I said this once before Scotty Bowman knew how to call the refs out and becuase of him the team didn’t have to carry a goon. Molsons  if you don’t want to carry gooms then you have to speak up and call the refs and league out to protect your players.

256. SeriousFan09 says:

They manhandled Atlanta? Plan the Parade!!! I mean that team is a bonafide Cup Contender!