Game 69: Canadiens chase Fleury, blank Pens

Canadiens’ Tomas Plekanec scores the game’s first goal on Penguins’ Marc-André Fleury on Saturday afternoon. Jamie Sabau/Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Saturday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s

Hits/About this afternoon …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri | Carey Price | Scott Gomez | Travis Moen | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: A pair of fast goals in the first and second periods were enough to lead the Canadiens to a 3-0 win over the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday afternoon. Tomas Plekanec scored his 21st of the season only 46 seconds into the game. Off a faceoff, Michael Cammalleri fed a pass to Plekanec, who turned his back to Penguins goalie Marc-André Fleury, avoided his pokecheck and lifted a backhand over Fleury’s shoulder. It was more of the same in the second period, with Travis Moen scoring his fourth goal of the season only 24 seconds into the period. He accepted a pass from Brian Gionta and fired a one-timer past Fleury, who was caught going the other way. Jeff Halpern set up Michael Cammalleri’s 16th goal of the season when he waited out a Penguins defenceman and slid a pass to Cammalleri, who beat Fleury from about five feet above the crease. That was the end for Fleury, who was replaced by Brent Johnson after the goal. Carey Price made 26 saves for his 33rd win and eighth shutout of the season.

• What It Means: Montreal has won six of its last seven games and improves to 37-24-7 on the season, good for 83 points and sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are home to the Capitals on Tuesday and the Lightning on Thursday before hitting the road for a game against the Rangers in New York next Friday.

1. LA Loyalist says:

Not true. You are entirely wrong.

My circle here in LA has Chicago Black Hawks and Washington Capitals and LA Kings and Ducks fans. Two of my sons coaches are ex-NHL players.

The people I know are all gravely concerned. In fact many of them are lawyers and prosecutors by profession and not one is taking Chara’s or the NHLs side. (none are Habs or Boston fans)

The upshot of Chara walking is open season on skill players, with no fear of punishment.  I often wear a Habs sweatshirt to the Kings practice rink where my son plays. i was there last night, I’m going again now. People whom I only know by sight are stopping me and expressing their serious concern and amazement about this.

So basically your post is full of crap. Besides, what should we do? Sit here and do nothing?

The rest of us are talking this up, writing to sponsors, and making noise. Will we succeed?

I don’t know. But we are going to try.

Do you think Bettman will show up at the game Tuesday night in Montreal?

Listen to this,–

Never. Chara is an abomination. I wouldn’t trade a bag of pucks for that sack of Slovakian cow excrement.

4. CHsam says:

The guy wouldn’t be able to walk through the streets of Montreal alive even if he was Hab

5. mike g says:

Anyone else think Cammy should play with Gomez and Gionta?

He’s been playing with Pleks all year and hasn’t hit 15 goals yet. And I’ve been watching him since he came back, and I think he’s gotten a pass from Pleks in the offensive zone 3 times in 10 games. Cammy can’t continue to be this useless. And I think having Gomez drop him the puck and shoot from the top of the circle with Gionta crashing the net would be nice.

Pleks can play with Halpern and Benny, for example.

Anyways, I’m saying this because both lines are stalled right now, and maybe switching Cammy to a line with some vets would be a boost.

All I know is we can’t have Mike at 6 mill per year scoring a goal every 7 games.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. SPATS says:

Agree or Disagree…

Imagine if Max Pac and Chara played for the opposite teams… A foreign born hulk (born behind the iron curtain) who plays for the sissy ass french team from Montreal has clearly head hunted a local all american hero from connecticut in the Gahden… Imagine the outrage and name calling (as I’ve stated in my example) Any buddy else want to throw in their description? The hypocrisy should be laughable were it not so tragic.

Can’t wait to hear Milbury and Cherry. Can’t f*****g wait!

7. Ton says:

I am disturbed at the fact that a former players makes a hockey expert! Rubbish, its really about employment, this guy works for Boston and the CBC!!  Firstly and mostly all hockey plays are over with in a second, a hit, a goal amongst some of them.  No mention of the puck and where it was. Folks if the puck is not in the vicinity of the play its an ilegal play for heavens sake.  He impeded with his forward movement, interpherence!!!!!!!!!!!! hence the major penalty and match penalty for intent.

Granted it took a second, but in that second his hands were high in the head area, ilegal. Nothing wrong with his pivot if there was one Mikey Milbury, it must have  looked wonderful and pretty in your dreams! Just that it didn’t need to happen for the puck was not there. Simply put the correct play was for him to skate side by side with him without any contact. Why can’t the hockey experts touch on these points!!

8. NightRyder says:

I’d say he blames the stanchion.

9. NightRyder says:

One more point of discussion: Coach’s Corner.

1. What will Liberace the Bruin for Life say about Lurch’s hit on Pacioretty?

2. Will the nut-suckling sycophant MacLean display his mancrush for Bettman again?

10. NightRyder says:

I think Gainey would be perfect in Colin Campbell’s job

11. HalifaxHabs says:

Brendan Shannahan

I’m sick of little rats in suits who have never played a game of hockey in their life, let alone pro hockey, referring to it as “their game”, and dictating what is, or isn’t, part of the game.

12. DavidKB says:

When I first saw Pachioretty during the 2009 preseason, I was impressed, but thought the guy was all arms and legs flailing about,  falling down, and making too many high-risk passing plays that too often didn’t click. Pouliot reminds me a bit of Patches, and not just because of the size, however Pouliot still seems to be like a guy who always has to be checking himself in the mirror while Pachioretty knows he’s good looking.

Having said all that, Pachioretty’s attempt to streak past Chara reminded me of the arms and legs of the past without enough awareness of the potential danger. I believe Chara was aware of the danger zone as well and took advantage of it; he should have been suspended.