Game 68: Halak’s Blues stop Habs’ win streak at 5

Blues’ Jaroslav Halak and Alex Pietrangelo defend against Canadiens’ Lars Eller Thursday night. Dilip Vishwanat,Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Standing Pat | Stubbs column | Bruins get special treatment: Thornton

PRE-GAME AUDIO: Jacques Martin | Brian Gionta I and II | Lars Eller | Ryan White | P.K. Subban

• At a Glance: The much anticipated matchup between former Canadien Jaroslav Halak and current No. 1 Carey Price proved anticlimactic on Thursday night, a 4-1 win by Halak’s Blues over a Canadiens team that seemed emotionally drained after a whirlwind 48 hours. Jeff Halpern gave the Canadiens a 1-0 lead with his 11th goal of the season 12:30 into the opening period. Defenceman Alexandre Picard found Halpern posted to the left of Halak and fed him a pass that Halpern only had to redirect beyond Halak. The Blues would tie the game before the period was over when David Backes scored off a faceoff at 18:59. Backes’s shot from the top of the faceoff circle dribbled under Price’s arm and across the goal line. Only 1:06 into the second period, the Blues took the lead when Andy McDonald took advantage of a turnover in the Montreal zone to beat Price for his 17th goal of the season. Another turnover late in the third period allowed Matt D’Agostini, also a former Canadien, to make it 3-1 Blues with his 14th goal of the season at 18:31. T.J. Oshie scored into an empty net to cap the scoring with 23 seconds to play. Halak made 27 saves for his 21st win of the season while Price, who has 32 wins, made 23 saves.

• What It Means:  The Canadiens saw their five-game winning streak snapped, and their record falls to 37-24-7 for 81 points. They remain in sixth place in the Eastern Conference, three points behind the fifth-place Tampa Bay Lightning. The Canadiens missed a chance to close to within 2 points of the Boston Bruins, overtime losers on Thursday night, for top spot in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play Saturday afternoon against Pittsburgh Penguins the return home to take on the Capitals on Tuesday and the Lightning next Thursday.

1. observer says:

yeah right – bettman was quite the athlete in his day. i believe he was an nba basketball player before they started using 7 foot players.

2. Trisomy 21 says:

Respek.

well done

3. DearyLeary says:

Good.  The more sponsors get involved the better.

4. observer says:

wakey! wakey! it’s bettman’s friend WIRTZ’s player who got hurt!

5. robokan says:

Breakfast Club?

6. G-Man says:

You have disgraced yourself with that clearly not thought out remark.

7. G-Man says:

By stating publicly that the NHL was wrong, Gauthier would be indirectly reassuring the fan base that he is going to defend his players. By saying nothing, he is in tacit agreement with the NHL’s decision. This is not about fans “getting their jollies off.” This is about demonstrating that he cares about the safety and security of Hab players and doesn’t care about the $10K fine.

8. smiler2729 says:

No, it’s not going away ever cuz we almost saw a player murdered on live TV but he was lucky and after reading about Brian Savage’s similar and worse neck injury as well as Gary Roberts’, then I’m pretty encouraged MaxPac will be back.  How timid he becomes is another matter.

9. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Glad I am not alone. You’re right, damn they sure do. Even I love me a good freak show. If Gainey would have mugged Bettman in his office over this I would have found it hilarious. But I also would think it was a pretty dumb way to get a point across. We gotta remind ourselves, our team is run by intelligent people, not Snows and Wangs.

10. lavie says:

…Bettman said most concussions and head injuries this year have been from accidents or players falling — rather than as the result of hits…

What the FuC of his shit words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I did point out the solution, we need an animal on the team to take care of other animals, that is reality. We don’t want or need another warning… the path we are going down is very wrong.

3 Boston games ago when MAX gave that little shove which was NOTHING… and that animal struck him back in the midst of 4-5 celebrating Habs? that was ludicrous and should have been dealt with on the spot, drop the gloves and a beating to that animal.

instead it boiled and continued to boil… then March, with the animal continuing his pursuit of MAX

then Feb, the insulting score,… and then he had him in his sights….

where is Ferguson? where is Robinson? where is Nilan? Where is Kordic? where is Corson? Manson? etc…

believe me, that is the solution.

12. SeriousFan09 says:

There’s another one! Thanks for the correction.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

13. ooder says:

paul kariya is taking the year off

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

14. habfan53 says:

Yeah how do they they feel? Their spokesman out since January 1st

15. RGM says:

An eye for an eye only leaves everybody blind.

16. Nahlsy says:

Kubina should have signed with Boston. He’s probably in trouble for not letting Thornton attack him a few games ago

17. LA Loyalist says:

Hey, at least Ghaddafi held a press conference!

18. LA Loyalist says:

Silence implies consent.

19. boris420 says:

Do you fail to see the resemblance? Let me state it differently for you then. The NHL is like any oppressive government.

20. HabFanSince72 says:

He is a piece of work isn’t he?

21. LA Loyalist says:

When Habs were here in LA and Anaheim 2 winters ago (they come every other year) there were 50% Habs jerseys. I can’t speak for the San Jose game. I’m sure in Florida the % is high also. Phoenix not sure.

22. LA Loyalist says:

Huh? please explain why not?

23. Trisomy 21 says:

Judging by how after every bruins game “another one bites the dust”, nah i’d not be to interested in seeing that match up. I just want to see the habs win, if they are cup bound t shouldn’t matter who they play first. If i’m gonna watch a game i won’t ever think “I want the habs to lose this so they get a more deireable match up in the playoffs.”

“I won’t tolerate any losers in this house… WIN! WIN! WIN!”

major respek points for whoever can identify the movie that quote belongs too

24. Nahlsy says:

I wish Bettman would “fall”

25. Miltie01 says:

The players are just as responable, if not more. They have no reason to take a moral stand in this.

26. Habitall says:

In the previous thread, I posted my letter of commendation to Air Canada, for threatening to withdraw support. If you want to send a similar message to Air Canada, here is the email address:

shareholders.actionnaires@aircanada.ca

I just got the following acknowledgment:

Thank you for your email in which you share with us your comments. Please note that we have forwarded your message to the office of the President and Chief Executive Officer.

We appreciate your taking the time to write to us.

Sincerely,

Shareholder Relations / Relations avec les actionnaires
  27. HabFanSince72 says:

There was an icing.

In any case it’s a ridiculous charge.

28. LA Loyalist says:

This is not directed at you personally, of course we have battle fatigue from being stressed about this incident, that’s normal.

It is also exactly what Gary B and his gang are counting on, a furious storm that lasts 2 days and then goes away and they can get back to lining their pockets.

It’s sad, but this needs to get bigger, not smaller. Air Canada, I pray Tim Hortons… 3 or 4 sponsors would be fantastic in escalating this.

29. andrewberkshire says:

Gotta love hindsight commentators. So ridiculous.

30. SeriousFan09 says:

They really should rally together, take off the jerseys and make a statement. Our careers have been threatened and this league doesn’t care.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

31. Trisomy 21 says:

Don’t get me wrong, if it were up to me Betman, Campbell and Murphy would looking for work because of the inconcistancy with discipline. This was merely the straw (since i’m a habs fan maybe severall straws) that broke the camel’s back. I’d love for sponsorships to be pulled (though i don’t know what reprecussions would follow) just so they’d realize hey, this isn’t acceptible in the game I love, and players have to be held accountable.

I just feel that writing about on HIO doesn’t make it bigger and in the big picture won’t change things in the league. Feel free to correct me if i’m wrong

32. Hobie Hansen says:

So if Pacioretty would have died would Bettman still be saying that this hockey play is part of the game?

33. S_Dot says:

There are 18 players out with a concussion on 3/10…and that doesn’t include the players that have come back from similar injuries that were sustained earlier this season…

When is this league going to wake up?

34. 134 says:

Oh that’s already been brought up right after the game. I was listening to a postgame show on the radio that night and the host was going on and on at it, that with the 4-0 lead at the end of the 2nd period, why JM didn’t just send out the 3rd or the 4th line instead of having his top liners out there taking the shift, etc. etc.

35. AndyHabs says:

Win this won for max boys and i would love to see buffalo whoop the bruins

get well soon #67

Mtl 514 Go habs!!!!

36. gohabsgo25 says:

so who would bail me out if i go to boston and throw something at chara’s face?

37. light_n_tasty says:

Because it’s an out-of-conference game against a non-playoff team…

38. Bugs says:

Read what I said after “because”.

39. WindsorHab-10 says:

The most upsetting thing for me are people whether they’re coaches, players, analysts & so on that say Chara didn’t intend to hurt him or did,’t mean to do it. How the hell do they know this?

I forgot the reporter’s name from the Ottawa citizen that covers the Sens. He mentioned that Chara is arrogant and never forgets. Ho goes on to say that when he saw Max Pac shove Chara back on Jan 8, he knew Max Pac was a marked man & Chara will eventually get him. This is why I’m disappointed with the league for not taking into consideration what happened between these 2 players before Tueday night’s game.

Justice will be served one day Apeman.

40. DearyLeary says:

Methinks he doth protest too much.

Has the bitch at least apologized yet?  Or is he still trying to prove his innocence after being exonerated by the league.

41. shiram says:

I think it was planned for Auld to get the start, but lineups and starting goalies have got lost in the talk about Max.

I can’t find any confirmation of either Price or Halak.

edit : front page on here says it is Price versus Halak.

42. Habs fan in Sens land says:

First, we’d have to figure out a way to delete this thread…. Then intent wouldn’t be proven.

43. DearyLeary says:

Awesome coverup hahahaha… first time I’ve smiled in a couple of days now.

44. Mark C says:

What a joke: “It was the face-off, and we tried to set up a play, and basically the puck went to the other side, and we were racing for the puck,” Chara said. “I had no idea he was on the ice. I had no idea it was him.”

As fans are we supposed to believe that one of the “world’s best defenseman” did not know who his defensive responsibly was? His lack of accountably is sickening, but now he’s playing dumb.

As a mediocre high school player, I was taught on face-offs to know who my man was if the draw was lost. If he had good speed to give more room etc. Yet, now Chara is saying either his hockey IQ is equivalent to a so-so pee wee player or that he can’t tell who a player is that he is facing for 25 feet or so.

What a joke this guy is, I’ve lost all respect for him as a player and a person with this blatant lie.

45. Bugs says:

Is the Priceberg starting the game a sure thing? Has that been established for sure or are we only assuming that to be the case?

I ask because of all the games left to play, this could be one for Auld considering it’s not a 4-pt game.

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Chara’s excuses just keep getting lamer and lamer. First he says Pacioretty jumped into the turnbuckle and now it’s ‘he had no idea who was on the ice’.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

47. Storm Man says:

Why would he not start?

48. shiram says:

With the nhl basically backing him up, of course he will run with it.

49. lavie says:

The Slovakian SOB will have to explain his contradicted words to the Prosecutors.

50. Kain292 says:

Before The Hit, I was really looking forward to this game. I won’t lie, last year my support was behind Team Halak. I have developed a case of foot-in-mouth sydrome and obviously, Price was right. But that’s beside the point.

The Hit will overshadow the game tonight, and maybe the game after that, and for as long as headlines talk about it. As the QPP investigation continues and if Parliament takes action (all three Canadian parties have called for something to be done, and the Sports Minister is looking into it).

Its unfortunate, as this game could’ve had a good hype to it. I won’t be watching tonight. I don’t have the stomach for it. Maybe I’ll have it on the radio while I’m doing homework, but I don’t think I can watch hockey tonight.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

51. Mark C says:

It’s really getting laughable. Who is he trying to kid with this crap? I can’t believe that an NHL D-man doesn’t know who his check is, and I can’t believe that he couldn’t tell it was Max as he skated towards for 25 plus feet.

If this crap is to be believed, then I think one has to conclude that Chara lacks the mental capacity to play NHL hockey and is a danger to all players.

Edit: Just remembered Chara knows 7 languages, yet he doesn’t bother to know who he’s lined up against. Yeah sure, buddy.

52. Chuck says:

Bettman contines to turn a blind eye. Courtesy of AM900 CHML in Hamilton.

at 12:42 on March 10, 2011, EST.

Commissioner Gary Bettman says Pacioretty hit horrific but part of the game

The Canadian Press

WASHINGTON – NHL commissioner Gary Bettman says Max Pacioretty’s injury is horrific, but it’s part of the game.

Speaking after a U.S. congressional panel discussion about encouraging American kids to get into hockey, Bettman said most concussions and head injuries this year have been from accidents or players falling — rather than as the result of hits.

As for Air Canada threatening to pull its sponsorship over such injuries, Bettman says the league can find other carriers if Air Canada doesn’t want the NHL’s business.

Montreal forward Pacioretty was hospitalized with a severe concussion and fractured vertebra after slamming into a stanchion holding the glass at the Bell Centre on a hit by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara.

The NHL subsequently elected not to suspend Chara.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

If I move to NY, run Bettman over with my car in the street but it’s on my way home, technically that’s just part of the drive home. I wonder if he’d appreciate the distinction.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

54. savethepuck says:

Covers has Halak confirmed. The only mention of Carey is in the article above. I know there is talk of Carey resting down the stretch, but we are in a hunt for home ice advantage right now.  He should rest if and when that is no longer the case or back to backs only IMO

55. savethepuck says:

56. smiler2729 says:

Halak starts, Price starts.

After the historic Habs I/O tug of words last season here, that sentence appeases both camps.

57. Curtoph says:

The Habs should wear a small number 67 on the front of their jerseys for the rest of the season, and play with emotion and heart and keep winning for Patches. That would be really something to keep winning for him!

Hope he gets well asap so he doesn’t have to be hospitalised anymore!

58. wd40 says:

honestly, anybody really shocked he’d support the decision?

59. andrewberkshire says:

So how long until idiots start blaming JM for having Pacioretty on the ice at that time?

60. Miltie01 says:

I find nothing shocking in any of this. EVERY nhl player takes numbers for pay back later….yes even our own Habs players. I do not believe Chara meant to half kill Max, but to say he wanted to pay him back for Jan 8…..hell yes, that was what his intent was. You are correct, the league dropped the ball for not using this in their decision.

61. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

2 frachises at different ends of the spectrum. One with the objective of speed wins, talent shines, and building grit to support, thats our Habs… the other side is Grit at the forefront, finesse limited or non existent, and speed on the average… what is the result? a MASSACRE…. and a MASSACRE II.

one giant chemisty experiment gone bad… all the variables, the history, the composition, the race for 1st, the past records, the interchange of personal… and what do you get? a cataclysmic breakdown, an incident which obliterates the envelope of the game… a behemoth bruin who personifies their franchise on a collision course with the HAB prodigy which personifies our future…

not hard to predict, but who is looking?…. ever so clear now when you can analyse all the pieces..

there are many points of failure leading up to this catastrophe… of course 99% of the blame goes to that animal who viciously and intentionally with forethought, rammed MAX’s head into the steel post at high speed.

the other 1% can be spread around… our managements lack of vision in addressing a need to toughen our lineup, they’ve had years and they failed… The NHL and its failure to have the guts to expel players that cause life threatening injury, they are accountable for ruining lives, but they wash it with money only when their back is against he wall.. squirming worms they are.

We must continue on the path and priority of the N.A.G. mandate… we must wipe clean and obliterate the reputation of being weak… unfortunate that this incident is what it takes to wake the idiotic but wake they must…

THE REFS will not help us, the LEAGUE will not help us… WAKE THE F(&*P(&^(*EKE UP and bring respect back to this franchise.

Wednesday March, 9th, 2011 – the day NHL Hockey “officially” died

62. Mark C says:

Now would be a good time to give Price a game off. 3 games in 4 days next week, all huge games (Caps, Tampa, NYR). With the game tonight and on Sat. afternoon, it would make sense to rest Price tonight and then again next SUN vs. the Wild.

If Price plays tonight, we’re looking at 5 starts in 8 days.

63. Ton says:

this guy’s hate for cdn institutions, teams, culture, icon players, continues, his eyes are on the american market and the rewards for it are huge!! so he thinks

64. mrhabby says:

the old  boys club rules at all levels in the nhl…sad.

65. punkster says:

I suggest you direct your boundless energies to finding solutions and not adding to the problems.

***Subbang!!!***

66. wd40 says:

it’s not like they could prove you had any INTENT to injure him…

67. smiler2729 says:

Okay people, let’s take the rage glasses off now. I’m reading about the players wearing a 67 patch, about blaming JM for having Max out there and other stuff… let’s move on, we’re starting to sound silly.

The reality of the situation is Air Canada’s getting free publicity, the government and their inquiry is all talk and no action and like Stubbs said police investigation is a waste of public money.

Max Pacioretty was wronged, is hurt but he will play again. Best revenge on Chara and Boston is to keep beating them on the scoreboard.

And let’s show St. Louis who’s got the better goalie tonight.

Go Habs, stand tall in spite of it all.

68. Chuck says:

The most idiotic thing about that statement is that he was at a congressional hearing about kids playing hockey.

Great way to promote the game, Gary. “Your kinds are going to get hurt, but hey, that’s the way the game is.”

69. observer says:

Who’d have thought last June that this meeting of Price vs. Halak would NOT have been the only thing anyone talked about today?

70. 134 says:

I had this day circled in my calendar and was looking forward to it. But now I just simply cannot bring myself to that excitement anymore, everything just feels so bleh and insignificant after what happened to Pacioretty. I really hope that the rest of the team can re-focus and be motivated to play for each other, but more importantly, for their teammate Max who’s laying in a hospital bed watching the game. GO HABS GO!

71. Propwash says:

That’s just affirmation that someone will have to leave the ice in a pine box before something proactive is done. Oh and Gary, good luck finding another airline that has the means to sponsor the NHL. Goof.

72. DearyLeary says:

He can find other companies willing to put up millions in sponsoships?  Is he seriously threatening a company that puts up seven figures for his product?  The gall..

73. lavie says:

The way Bettman runs NHL is NO DIFFERENCE from that Gaddafi runs the Libya.

Straight and simple!

74. fbkj says:

i for one support the idea of patches patches :)

75. Habs4Lyfe says:

Habs 4 Lyfe

Players on Twitter

Current and former NHL players weigh in on Chara/Pacioretty incident

• GeorgesLaraque After hearing from Max Pacioretty that Chara was holding him down and Max couldn’t get out of the way, it changes everything, bad ruling!

then

NHL’s Murphy releases statement on Chara review

Wednesday, 03.09.2011 / 3:25 PM / News
    NHL.com
    4529Share

TORONTO – National Hockey League Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy today issued the following statement on Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara‘s hit in NHL game #996 last night against the Montreal Canadiens:

“I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins‘ defenseman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens.

“After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly — with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.

“This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career.”

————————-

‘So nice of Murphy to conduct the hearing w/out all or any of the facts that are pertinent’, like asking Pac his side of the story or doesn’t that seem to matter to the National Hockey League Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy!

I don’t know what video he was watching, there are plenty of angles and vids out there. In all of them Pac dumped the puck off early, Chara looked over to his left, as he is doing this first thing in his line of vision is what is coming up from right to left, the stanchion, then Pac. Chara then used his left arm to guide and hold down Pac’s shoulder( when you are 6’9″ there is a lots of downward force there) as Pac made contact with the stancion, IMPACT, and then you see Charas little stutter step like a gun recoiling after the shoot, ie IMPACT and Chara’s release. Chara saw it all, and timed his arm coming up. Seriously Chara should be gone for as long as Pac is out of the game for.

look at this vid, at 13 sec mark Chara’s head is turned in and staring at Pac ( he told reporters he didnt even know Pac was on the ice)

this one right at 52 secs. Chara is leveraging his whole body into the hit as he has his left hand right in Max’s shoulder, essentially pinning him, before the impact, looking in,  the whole way into Max…then following thru w/his right arm as well….he didnt know he was on the ice???? look at how high his arm is after the impact…

Good job analyzing the vids Murphy

Bettman and Co. are a disgrace.

Molson’s, Air Canada and Habs management has to keep the pressure on these weasles and get them to overturn their no call. There is nothing right about this situation and everything wrong.

Max was a bright light since coming up from Hamilton this year. I hope he recovers fully and can come back and have a long career.

God Bless Max!

76. kakey says:

Chara compilation (with names of victims):

Scottie Upshall shoved violently into the board after hitting Chara

Kovalev got elbowed in the head by Chara, who went on to punch an unprovoked Latendress afterward

Grabovski got hit into the board twice in the same game

His so called clean record is worse than some repeat offenders.

77. Julie H says:

Any chance I could steal it as well? You’re amazing :)

♪Your cares and troubles are gone. There’ll be no more from now on. From now on happy days are here again, the skies above are so clear again. So let’s sing a song of cheer again. Happy times, happy nights, happy days are here again♪

78. gloveside says:

Except that this has all the potential to be another embarrassing Montreal sideshow rather than a peaceful fan-led protest. I’m hoping not, but I will never underestimate the idiot mob mentality. I’ll apologize if it doesn’t go bad, but I’m pretty sure I won’t have to.

All of our boy’s heads were some place else last night, as was all the fans heads.

80. Propwash says:

The Habs aren’t done for the season, IMO. Alot of stuff went down in the past two days, and they’re gonna need a bit of time to get back on their feet.

81. BJ says:

Maybe this link has been proposed before. Here is what looks to me like a very uncomfortable weasel trying to justify their brain dead decisions. I think he will be removed from his position.

82. rob_c says:

Max posted this link a few hours ago on his twitter account.

Max quotes “ … that’s my motivation to get back. Thanks to Ben Prentiss at Prentiss Hockey Perfomance”

Prayers are with you buddy!

83. rocketsglare says:

The team appeared emotionally drained and played like it. Not to worry. The team will certainly rebound after

having more time to decompress. The fact that Max is now at home should lift the team’s spirit and outlook.

84. The Cat says:

Yes it is true.

85. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

The boys’ appeared a bit flat-lined last night, no jump,no flow, guess they’re still reelin’ a bit from Tuesday. Understandable, but the guys have to move on and turn the page, as hard as that will be without Max. Gotta give St. Louis credit , they played a strong game and deserved the win. Time to regroup for Saturday afternoon in Pittsburg. JM better have them better prepared for that game,gotta bounce back and get the win. Benny cannot play with Gomez and Gionta, don’t know if anyone can or so it seems. Max made that line what it was and without him those two are lost. Might be time to split them up.

Hopefully Sopel and Webber are back in against the Pens. Gomez is pissing me off as well as Pleks,neither one of them can win a crucial faceoff. Cammy and Pleks have had no chemistry from day one. I’d rather see Cammy with White and Desharnaise. Move Pleks to wing with Halpern and Gionta. Leave AK, Eller and Moen alone and put Gomez on the fourth line with Dawes and D’arche when he comes back. Gomez does not deserve 20 minutes a game and I don’t care about the money he’s making, he can earn it on the fourth as far as I am concerned. Desharnaise needs more minutes, the little guy generates scoring chances everytime he’s on the ice and rarely loses a faceoff in either zone,yet JM refuses to reward him.

I still would like to see Dawes get called up and send Pyatt down, if he gets claimed on waivers so be it. I don’t think anyone would touch him anyhow. Might be a great time to sit Pouliot,he’s still taking dumb-ass penalties 200′ from our net and I have never seen a guy fall down so many times, he just doesn’t have what it takes to be a regular on this team or any other for that matter. If last night is any indication on how we are gonna play with Max gone we are in big trouble. Just throwing some idea’s out there …changes are needed and JM doesn’t have a lot to work with.

86. observer says:

Is it true the teams benchs used to be on opposite sides of the rink and there was no turnbuckle UNTIL gary bettman came from the NBA and instituted the basketball layout plus a turnbuckle in between the benchs now on the same side for all rinks?

87. habs63 says:

Thanks NHL. Not only have you pissed me off so much that I missed a habs game in years and will prob miss Saturdays game. But now you make me respect Thorton because he made such an awesome quote tonight.

Hating Thorton was one of my fav things to do. Damn you NHL.

88. habs99 says:

Amen Brother…God Bless Max!

89. habstrinifan says:

Sad we lost the game, but really couldnt get into it tonight. I want to say I hope this feeling goes away but I know I would feel much better when I know how this incident affects Max Pac’s career. He could have had a nice easy college career and a degree on top of it and now he has to plough trough this setback because he made a decision to play for THIS TEAM!

Max Pac in a very short while has become a true Canadien, moreso than any player recently.

I would love to see him in the owner’s box as soon as he is able to make it. I think I will feel better and excited about hockey when I see Max back at Bell Centre with a smile on his face and hangiing with Geoff Molson etc.

90. Dangal25 says:

I have decided to create a petition as a result of the non suspension on Chara.

Please sign it and pass it on if you agree that actions need to be taken!!

91. citizenSanto says:

Tuesday, March 15 ·  6:00pm - 10:00pm

Outraged Montreal hockey fans have organized a series of protests, including one outside the NHL office in downtown Montreal on March 14Another protest will take place outside the Bell Centre at the next home game on March 15.

This Facebook action alert has 900 people aboard already,  and is growing quickly. I encourage any HIO member to join in peaceful protest and show your support for Max  and all victims of similar injuries.

We can effect change if we want it. This is an opportunity to tell the NHL, and the world, how we feel about what has been done to our National pastime.

—————————————

Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

92. habs59 says:

First time posting…been reading for a couple of yeras.

Great avatar…..love to make a t shrt as well.

93. avatar_58 says:

Imagine if he was injured? The fallout would be unreal. Oh wait, I thought severity didn’t matter – just intent and the action itself? Well this was a hit from behind INTO the boards. Suspend him then.

Whatever.

94. Humungosaur says:

“This is an opportunity to tell the NHL, and the world, how we feel about what has been done to our National pastime.”

This is also an opportunity for it to become highjacked and for Habs fans to again become the laughing stock of the NHL community if a cop car is burned ot if a riot breaks out. Guys and gals, although I agree that changes are needed, is this the right tihing to do? Keep the alcohol out of it.

Good luck with it.

95. Propwash says:

PM me your email, and I’ll send you the fullsized pic

96. LA Loyalist says:

That hit on Saku killed our playoff, really. And the hit on Richard Zednik killed us that year, too, and Zed was never the same.

It remains to be seen if our year is done, Max, while on his way up, is not as important as Koivu and Zednik were at those moments in time and I think the guys have time to re-focus.

My real fear is we go into the playoffs and this ruling will be open season, not just on Habs, but every skill player in the league who doesn’t have protection on the ice.

I hope I’m wrong.

97. habs4ever2894 says:

Imagine having this lineup:

Cammy – Plek -AK

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Desharanais-Darche

Halpern -Eller – White

Markov-Subban

Gill-Georges

Hamrlik-Spacek

Wiz (if posssible)

Carey Price

Alex Auld

Thats a nice looking team right there… Injuries (sigh)

98. WindsorHab-10 says:

Luv your avatar. Thinking about stealing it just to piss off a couple of Bruins A-holes I work with. May even make a t-shirt.

99. Wayne says:

… after seeing your avatar, I’d pay Michael Buffer to say, “and in this corner  Phil “one testicle” Kessel”.

100. NightRyder says:

Just found out the score this minute.

First time in I don’t know how long that I really didn’t care.

I trust this feeling too shall pass.

101. Muckbringer says:

i know you know the dude i was thinking of…wont be in radio next year…fighting for my jon…yeah that dude

get well soon Patches; chara: rot in your dead mothers festering cauldron of fecal matter (Cu cadavrul ei liquified)!!!!

102. Muckbringer says:

both are on point….if only we couldev got them(thank shite burkes plan didnt pan)

103. observer says:

id bring up the muscle for the bruins game and molson should personally offer 5 figure bounties for each injury caused.

104. Harry says:

The team is not the same since the aftermath of the Bruins game…..It has nothing to do with the Habs  winning streak…. I think the team  is done. I will be overjoyed if my Habs  follow with a  the win streak, but I seriously think it is done this season, even though the team is better than last…There were things not done to bolster the top six and now the team has lost Max, who was fantastic..sorry that there is little fallback..imagine too if the club had dumped Kostitsyn.whom I think they should not trade for along time……after the “accident”, maybe we should take the League’s behavior on, because it is ruining the game as a contest among  best skilled teams to now being strictly a game to ensure bottom lines for a league…. NHL has teams in places where the game surface -ice-is unnatural and the arenas in most of these places are largely empty……someone should really interview Bettman, because, despite his business sense, he seems to have no love of hockey, and he seems to head a group that promotes the NHL as a combination of ice and violence, seems they may think an attraction to American men who love gambling and frequent bars.and what are “USA big markets”..why is there hockey in Phoenix, for a start?

105. CHsam says:

Wow. Check from behind. He probably figures in his mind that it’s not as significant as driving some guy’s head into the Turnbuckle.

And no problem, Campbell jr can just cut open Pyatt’s face and walk away. And Lucic can hit Moore next time and no problem.

Joe Thornton has it right, it smells.

106. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Bill Waters — he of the world’s worst hair implants.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

107. Muckbringer says:

i was thinking more of when gretzkey rightfully high sticked that guy whos # has not been retired….what whas his name?

108. Muckbringer says:

the other one too…andrew something…i really think he was just talking for a reaction. even everyone (besides a few) were callin in to tell him off and he would hang up and tell the same two useless points over and over again.

109. observer says:

a sports expert – bfat toronto pig – was with the famous cfl ottawa renegades and ballard too

110. observer says:

feels just like what happened when koivu was hit in the eye and was the eventual bad ending of that year.

111. Muckbringer says:

youre so cool with youre fohawk semi fighting the establishment….

112. punkster says:

Waaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaa

aaa

aa

a

a

***Subbang!!!***

113. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

just for the record..add to the list of imbeciles = BILL WATERS

today (on radio) he stressed repeatedly that CHARA should NOT have been penalized,

it was NO PENALTY according to BILL WATERS

Wednesday March, 9th, 2011 – the day NHL Hockey “officially” died

114. ZimHabwe says:

My personal review……..

I for one have been just as uninspired as the team tonight since “the hit”. But I don’t get paid millions so it’s ok for me be like that. These boys have a job to do and they can’t afford emotions (or lack thereof) to get the better of them.

Stiff legs, weak passes, numerous giveaways were the theme of the game.

13 and 14 have been quiet of late.

Our captain showed a lack of captaincy with that penalty.

If we are to go by numbers alone, we have been very succesful with Sopel on the line-up.

It’s like Carey Price played alone tonight. Even as far checking a player behind his own net.

We need to get it together.

In other news……Boston lost but still got a point.

115. andrewberkshire says:

1 loss in 6, but your point stands.

116. Muckbringer says:

this is in all a nothing game. we will be in the playoffs and we will rock the bruins.

the season is far from over . im calling it now:  habs toss bruins 4-1 in the second round

117. Propwash says:

Kay, sit back, and take a breather The Habs weren’t balls to the wall tonight, and frankly I don’t blame them. Alot of **** went down the past couple of days.

It could very well be the start of a losing streak, and it could happen to ANY team in the NHL. Nobody here has the answers because they are not on the ice.

118. Muckbringer says:

i think this is the start of an even bigger streak

119. shuttle-lemaire-lafleur says:

I think you are right Ian, the lads just seemed like they were in the twilight zone. I’m sure some of them want to vent their feelings about what went down Tuesday night with Max. The organzation has finally spoken which I am grateful for. It must be frustrated for them having to stay quiet when they would likely just want to let loose with venom against Chara and the rest of the Bruins.

120. WindsorHab-10 says:

Tonight’s loss was totally expected after the events of the last 2 days. How about Joe Thornton ripping the Boston Bruins? Good for you Joe calling it like it is. Unlike that jackass coach of the Leafs and Phil “one testicle” Kessel defending Chara.

121. canada4l says:

Chara at it again tonight with another dirty hit.  Clearly a checking from behind penalty but only gets 2 for boarding.  The league won’t even look at it.

122. Harry says:

Habs season is over….this week ended it ,despite the team showing it was probably #1 in the NHL..but the events after the suberb display until almost the end of 2 periods vs. the Bruins is where it all ends…thank the rules, the NHl etc…As a Habs fan,I am so so sorry…I have loved this team and sport all my life …but the NHL is a business and the NHL’s problem is not the Montreal franchise’s botom line

123. adam76 says:

one loss in 5 games, and this is your reaction?

124. Mr. Habs says:

Yes – a losing streak!

125. observer says:

thank the shyster bettman! end of story! maybe her rot in hell and here first and his entire close family including jeffrey pollock his half brother and commissioner of the world series of poker in vegas.

126. habs365 says:

everyone feels sorry for max if they don’t they’re not normal…but we can’t get away from playing our game and tonight that’s exactly what we did…they should have brought up Dawes from the Bulldogs without screwing with the lines again…when you do that they lose the chemistry they had going and that’s what happened tonight…leave the lines alone…that’s why we have a farm team to fill in injuries…pouliot took a lot of blame…that’s wrong…jm took him of the line where he was having success so it screwed him up…we did good for 5-games with those lines…leave them be…fix the second line with someone from the Bulldogs..give Dawes a chance…….

127. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Probably already posted here somewhere, but this terrific quotation from Henrik Sedin bears repeating:

“I’ll tell you this: if you say that you don’t know where things are around the ice, I think you’re not telling the truth,” Sedin said. “You play the game for 20 years, you know it’s there. It’s gotten to the point, you have to suspend guys if you hit the head. You have to do it even if guys say they didn’t mean to do it or it’s an accident. You have to start somewhere.

“I don’t think players know where the limit is. That’s the bottom line.”

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

128. Muckbringer says:

im sorry, did the nhl fall asleep? are youre leafs not 2 away from the last spot? oh no, theyre; not and they wont be for awhile!!!sorry about that? but do you, u as a leaf insider,  please tell am590: come to terms,  you leafs will never do anything before a team is in kitchener for 8 years, and learn to give some props for the most historied team in all of hockey?

oh friggn layll!!!   GO HABS GO!!!!! nah nah nah nah….ballls…

129. Harry says:

130. Willy the bum says:

Just watched only the third period, and I couldn’t care less if they lose. I don’t blame them, they saw that godd*mn hit IN FRONT of their eyes a few days ago. And to some fans who posted negative things about tonight’s game, imagine you’re a player who just came home only to find out one of your teammates cannot possibly play a hockey game ever again and his goal in life just shot off.

Read in the papers that Gionta can’t even sleep thinking about that hit, and the team’s surprise reaction to the NHL’s decision on Chara, I was devestated.  Time to move on to winning, eh?  Whatever… they lost tonight, it’s no big deal.  They’ll take some time to gather up and stick together.

For Patches, I’m very glad he’s okay and out of the hospital.  If he wanted to, he should stop by to the dressing room and boost his team with smiles and cheers.  Nothing like seeing their good buddy again, off coming out of a brutal situation.  I hope Patches would like to do it and the team would like to see him again!

As I say again about the Habs-Bruins rivals: IT’S F*CKIN’ WAR!!!

131. Wayne says:

The hit wasn’t that bad and is of the sort that we can honestly say, is pretty common. Edwards reaction though, was laughable.

132. Habfan29 says:

why did Gomez get thrown out of that faceoff???

133. SmartDog says:

Beautiful pass on that last goal Gomez.  I mean the Blues goal.

Okay, muligan for tonight.  Habs are not feeling the power afer the Patches hit and I don’t blame them.

I don’t feel quite the same either and they know him a lot better than I do.   I think it’s going to take a few games for them to regain their sea legs.

134. Habfan29 says:

very soft

135. SmartDog says:

I agree. Pouliot played like crap.  Soft, bad give=aways.

136. SeriousFan09 says:

And if Pouliot hadn’t been on the top line the situations for the first two goals might not have happened. Blame where it belongs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

137. Duracell3 says:

Normally I would be pretty pissed at Gionta for taking that penalty. I mean, that was one of the dumbest penatlies I’ve seen us take all year. I get the feeling he’s still frustrated.

DD is looking good though.

138. JohnBellyful says:

The NHLPA has the answer (as posted on other thread):

Who knew appropriate padding is the answer. Don’t laugh, the association’s got it right. If the players wore a foam-filled helmet like the one the Great Gazoo did on The Flintstones, we wouldn’t be having these fruitless debates over concussions and their causes. The NHLPA: a forward-thinking organization.

139. Rugger says:

Tried hooker in practice once, but too many dislocated shoulders – both sides, meant I couldn’t get my arms up over the props.  But being a scrumhalf, I have utmost respect for my “protectors”.  I had someone take a swing at me one time, my 2nd row grabbed him by the throat lifted him up and said “don’t ever touch my scrumhalf”.

140. axman88 says:

Bettman must have told the refs to call in favor of montreal tonight!

:/ sarcasm

141. calvee123 says:

Can anyone tell me the score, Im at work and no info is available.

142. Nahlsy says:

Sounds like Campbell’s brat got lit up tonight. Haven’t seen the footage yet though.

143. Julie H says:

Well said, Ian. I’m glad you are so passionate about this. Thanks for all the updates and personal infor you’ve been providing us with over the past few days. Gary Bettman can be fired and then drop off a cliff for how useful he’s been these past 18 years. And his verbal finger gesture at Air Canada? All talk. He can’t back it up. Not if other sponsors do the same thing.

144. Rugger says:

Wow, glad he made a full recovery.  Our hooker broke his neck – don’t recall which vert – when the scrum collapsed about 10 years ago.  He eventually recovered all movement etc but never played again.  I had to play in the “B” game afterwords, both teams were not really interested in playing but we felt if we didn’t we might not ever play again.  We were lucky in that the game was in downtown Boston, 5 minutes from the hospital district.  By the way, I finally “retired” to just Old Boys games after last fall, but it is hard reading all the team practice e-mails this spring.

145. Duracell3 says:

Yeah, I mean, Luicic was always standing up to fight BGL. Oh…wait…

146. Julie H says:

I sent one as well. I hope they knew we appreciate what they are doing.

147. Duracell3 says:

I wouldnt worry too much, the blues are pretty bad even with a real goalie, who is also probably still hurt.

148. Say Ash says:

Hopefully, they won’t lose it.

149. ABHabsfan says:

Rugger, you may be one of the few here who will get this; My teammate on the rugby team a few years ago had the exact same injury, cracked C4. He was a tight-head prop and was injured in the scrum. Not only did he have a full recovery but continued to play front row and still plays. This gives me reason to be optimistic that Patch will make a full recovery and resume his promising career. Not to mention that I am sure Patch is in much better physical condition and is receiving much better care than my buddy who was 30ish playing 2nd div.rugby. Good reason to be optimistic.

150. Graves says:

Shocking that Pronger didn’t want to comment, eh? :P

151. ZepFan2 says:

Geoff Molson speaks…

“The Montreal Canadiens organization does not agree with the decision taken yesterday by the National Hockey League. We can assure you that we have made our position clear to Commissioner Gary Bettman, and that he has agreed to make this issue a priority at the next General Manager’s meeting, which will be held in Florida on March 14-16. Pierre Gauthier, our General Manager, will be present at this meeting and has already expressed his wish to carry out, clearly, our message to his 29 counterparts and to the League.”

———————————————————————— “Young people have seen that a team can play electrifying, fascinating hockey while still behaving like gentlemen.” ~Serge Savard~

152. Ton says:

some fellow called in 990 and sugested points deduction, at first I thought it tobe a crazy idea, but than i thought about it, it makes sence. coaches would be more selective about their messages and players to sent out at different times in the game.  combined with a fine structure has you pointed out above it would work. nah nhl is too stupid to implement.

153. Rudy says:

I did as well. My dad is a 25 year retiree of Air Canada and I copied him and all his cronies from AC. They are emailing as well.

But if Tim Hortons comes out and says “while we appreciate blah blah blah, we still support the NHL” then this whole thing stops dead.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

Would take Orr on our team anytime.  He is always standing up for his teammates and can actually skate.  I have always been against the hired goon, but we no longer have a choice.  The NHL has made that loud and clear.

155. Danno says:

His idiot coach doesn’t feel the same

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

156. Julie H says:

Bettman unfazed by Air Canada’s threat. Wait till the other sponsors start following suit.

157. NightRyder says:

Apparently, Lucic cried like a baby to the WHL when people called him Quasimodo or Hunchback. Players were instructed they would be penalized for such.

158. HabsChick says:

What I couldn’t help but notice was that Kubina is elligible to return on March 17th….against the Habs.

Normally I’d laugh if someone suggested a link but given what we’ve seen transpire over the last few days…I have to wonder.

Just a quick check of the standings tells me Tampa Bay is 3 points ahead of Montreal.  Just sayin’.

I spoke with OHL coach’s this morning. They agree that the Max hit was intentional. But they also said a few more things that make so much sense. We have to act now.

The speed of the game today with all the changes, is making for a more deadly and higher serious result because of the 1 no red line now,  2 the obstruction rule, allowing for no slowing down of the play. 3, And most importantly the body amour worn on the shoulders and elbows that are lethal.

There is no fear for the player laying on the hit today. He will not be hurt like in the years of softer equipment worn. With the softer equipment, the hitting player had as much chance of getting hurt as the recipient of his hit.

Can you imagine getting a Gordie Howe elbow wearing this kind of armour, the hospital beds would be full.

It is all well and good for the NHL to try to put a better finesse hockey product on the ice, I support that, but with what consequences to brain cells and bones. They now have to find a way to put the genie back into the bottle before more of our kids are brain damaged and broken for life.

Money and greed are dictating the rules, instead of a competent, dedicated and caring group, who will look out for the best interests of our kids and our game.

Action must be taken right now. If not by the NHL, then by government and the courts. Every day wasted talking, will cause more of our kids bodies a life time of pain, suffering and even death.

160. Habs64 says:

Sent email to Air Canada:))

161. Ron in Ottawa says:

so what i don’t understand is where are the owners and senior managment of the habs. It’s okay for JM to speak out but what about the Molson brothers: Max Pac is one of their business assets and when someone from another business attacks and damages your asset you should be yelling bloody murder. Where is Fergie when we need him>

162. NightRyder says:

I haven’t heard any negative feedback at all out here regarding Tanner Glass’s statements. Usually, when you step outside the box of silence like that, there is some backlash.

This is an Ivy League-education kid who, when asked why such a smart guy would fight in the NHL, says “I’m smart enough to do what it takes to stay in the league.”

He has a refreshing perspective, and when a smart NHLer comes out and says that the best players in the world know what they are doing and where they were on the ice, I believe him.

163. Storm Man says:

He would get hurt bad and I for one glad he did not fight the donkey.

164. DD says:

Not that I want to agree with Cherry, but it sure looked like Luchicken wanted to be saved by the linesman and even hid behind him to me. What a gutless bastard.

165. S_Dot says:

Wow…never saw that fight, thanks for the post…what a punk

166. Rudy says:

Any medical people out there who could explain this? It’s what Max also told Bob McKenzie:

I don’t know all the medical terms but they’re working on stuff with my artery and they won’t release me for awhile. They’re thinning my blood and they want to make sure there’s no bleeding from the brain and they have to watch for blood clots. I think next week they’ll deal with the neck (fractured vertebrae). It’s sore right now.

So I guess for the neck, they just keep him immobilized?

167. Habs64 says:

PTI on ESPN to discuss AIR Canada issue – I know ESPN but still a pretty big show to be talking about it.

168. TheDagger says:

Holy smokes, I respect a Leafs’ player??

169. shiram says:

Leafs showing alot more class than the Bruins.

170. Julie H says:

Good to know some of the Laughs are with the program. If you read part of the article, Flyers players aren’t qute as apt.

171. Ton says:

think pouliot would do ok. i mean has had impressive knock outs , komisarek went toe to toe with him until his shoulder gave out i think pouliot could give him a good go!!

172. DD says:

What a classless @$$hole. I wonder if he remembers doing the same thing when BGL tried to get him to dance a couple of years ago. Of course, there wasn’t the added suspense or disgust, of probably one of the diriest, premeditated illegal hits by the biggest goon in hockey’s history, happening during Lucic’s chickenshit turtle move.

173. Graves says:

“Several players wouldn’t comment on the non-suspension at all today. Others would only do so once most of the cameras and microphones had moved on, with many saying only at that point that they would have wanted a suspension if they had suffered such a devastating injury. ‘How do you break a guy’s neck and not get a game?’ one veteran wondered in the Leafs dressing room. ‘One game? When someone breaks their neck, I know everyone in this room [asks that question], when you see that a guy’s done for the year, and there isn’t even a game.’”

174. JohnnyBEast says:

A pretty good article, I like what Tanner Glass said,

“If you polled 700 NHL players, 680 would say he knows exactly what he’s doing and knows the turnbuckle is there.”

“I thought it was a dirty play. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing.”

175. Bugs says:

I was kinda hopin my boy was gonna indulge him actually.

I think he can take him.

If he lands the first shot of course. And a dang good one to boot.

176. dre1744 says:

Well Benny sure ain’t no Max  on the  number 1  line!!!!!

177. Graves says:

“‘Well, he fought [Krejci]. He’s pretty tough when he fights [Krejci] but when he has to fight a guy his own size he clearly won’t do it,’ Lucic told TheBruinsBlog.net in a 1-on-1 chat after practice today at Ristuccia Arena.”

…do I really even have to say it? Actually, I think I’ll just leave this here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1SIq0zXnsQ (includes some words of wisdom from Don Cherry – no, seriously).

Thanks for posting this, I was wondering if anyone had written about this incident.

178. RGM says:

Well yeah, a guy 6’3″ and 195 pounds is the same weight class as a guy 6’4″ and 220 pounds isn’t it? What an ass.

179. Rugger says:

Bottom line is Bettman is an employee of the owners.  To be removed, Molson must lead and collect a majority of owners to vote him out.  Air Canada will give him ammo, hopefully Tim Horton’s can provide more ammo.  Hit the owners in the wallet an Bettman will be out in a heartbeat.

180. S_Dot says:

A little off topic but just shows how classless the B’s and especially Lucic is…

Admits the fact that he tried to get Benny to fight…

Tim Horton’s will be making a statement. That is all they said

Scroll down to the English video—The french text, click onto your translate button on google for the english.

182. SeriousFan09 says:

This should be interesting, their poster boy Sidney Crosby is still waiting for his post-concussion symptoms to go away so they are already invested in this in a way.

How are they supposed to promote TimBits hockey when Gary Bettman calls Pacioretty’s injury a hockey play.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

183. PatMan says:

I’m going to talk about the Habs playing future hockey for a moment — starting with tonite’s game. Please don’t for one minute feel this is due to a lack of sensitivity, caring, and hopes for Max…and complete outrage over all that has transpired…(or, more adroitly, lack thereof…)…. But – games continue to be played by the rest of the boys on the ice.

So – my comment – (and I’m sure many may disagree) — I would start Auld tonite. Given the unknown state of the team right now – their psyche’s, distractions, etc. — starting Auld gives them something else to focus on – it’s a distraction within the game itself…something slightly diferent to talk about, focus on, chat about….  And it alleviates substituting one distraction (MaxPac – and I don’t mean ‘distraction’ flippantly at all…) with another (Prive vs. Kalak). At this point – Carey doesn’t have to prove anything in relation to the competition between himself and Halak… At this point, in 2010-2011 – he is unquestionably the better goalie…. Playing him tonight will not diminish Halak’s heroics in the play-offs last year; nor will it do anything to convince us one way or another whether Carey has what it tkaes come the play-offs this Spring – we’ll only really know that come April… The Carey vs. Halak debate will not get solved in one game tonite – absolutely not.

So – why play Carey?.. Well – some may say he is the better goalie, and we need 2 points – so why not play him?…True – but this is a team we should beat even with Auld – and Carey does need a rest at some point… Some may argue that Carey needs this pressure, this intensity – he needs to rise to the occassion in a game such as this – with all the attention… Really??!?… So far this season there has been no pressure on Carey?… So far he has not risen to the occassion on many nights in bigger and more important games, against  tougher opponents?.. The only reason this game at all has ‘pressure’ written on it is do to a match-up between Price and Halak- that again.

So think about the other possibility – what if the Habs – still reeliing from Tuesday night – have an awful game.. what if Price finally has a terrible game, and the Blues beat us up badly (on the scoreboard…)…what if Halak shines?…. Does Carey really need to hear about it?…Do we really needs the trolls coming out again (…thanks Charlie…) . We’re playing well, and we’re moving, and we’re all on top of our game – especially Carey – why risk dredging up past rumination over a game that doesn’t mean a heck of alot in terms of these 2 teams meeting each other again or chasing each other in the standings?.. In other words, why throw Price inot another pressure-glaring-spotlightof-a-game where he has to prove himself yet again for no real valid reason?.. Don’t worry – there will be plenty of time in the weeks ahead where Price will have to prove himself – like he has already done all year.

(Of course, I don’t play for or coach the Habs – so I have no idea Carey’s feelings on it… I assume he of course wants to play – absolutely …But this is the coach’s call – and I’m sure Carey ‘gets it’….)

It woud be nice if Price stood on his head, and totaly dominated and out-goalied Halak in every way tonight…. But I’m willing to let that opportunity pass by if it negates risking the alternative – that could, unfortunaly, be the strt of slumping, downhill funk at the worst possible time…

Now – in terms of Lars…well…that’s a whole different story…

“…The Edmonton Oilers – hockey’s team of the 80′s versus the Montreal Canadiens – hockey’s team of all-time….” – Dryden

184. TripleX says:

Leafs Clarke MacArthur:

“I mean the guy broke his neck and there’s no punishment … I don’t know what that says,” he said. “I feel bad for the guy, he gets a massive concussion and a broken neck and there’s absolutely no suspension at all. That’s a tough call. I watched it again in slow-mo, and I think someone else said it, you know where the partition is.”

185. rob_c says:

Buffalo had a nice period out shooting Boston 22-7 tinning the game up 2-2. I don’t see Buffalo not winning this game. On a side note Lucic, and the crew are up to there filthy ways late in the 2nd.

186. Trisomy 21 says:

The third one really hit home

187. Les Habitants says:

pouliot playing is worse game of the year….

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

188. LA Loyalist says:

emailed Air Canada :) felt good doing it.

Next: Tim Horton’s

189. HNS says:

It’s so difficult to let this go due to the gross injustice of the incident. Why is this so difficult for the NHL to figure out. The variations of these rules can be tinkered with in any way. Game suspensions should be given out as per offense. As with head shots….First time offense, 20 game suspension, Club fined $250,00. Second time offense, 40 game suspension, Club fined $500,000. Third time offense, player BANNED from the NHL, Club fined $750,000. After the incident of any one of these offenses, the team immediately forfits that game.

If these types of guidelines would not get a player to think twice about his actions, either the player is so stupid he does not deserve the privilage to play in the NHL or the Club is so ignorant in it’s management decisions.

190. Mark C says:

“Well, he fought [Krejci]. He’s pretty tough when he fights [Krejci] but when he has to fight a guy his own size he clearly won’t do it,”

I’m so sick of this team. Krejci bears the most responsibly for the fight with Benny. Unlike the Bruins goons, Benny let up once he took down Krejci.  Lucic spent a whole game running away from BGL and now he’s saying other players are dodging him based on size.  The whole organization is a two-faced group of liars, thugs, and frauds.

191. savethepuck says:

A major US sports show that has NHL hockey at least 4th on their depth chart. It is Big news that they are covering it,

192. savethepuck says:

193. savethepuck says:

194. Rugger says:

My father in law fell last July, fracturing the same Vert.  Granted he is much older (80′s) and not fit, but he was in full upper body brace until October, neck brace till November now walking better and straighter than before, so baring other complications and considering Max’s age and physical conditioning, I would expect maybe 1-2 months of upperbody/neck brace, but this is just a Wild A– guess.

195. HNS says:

BINGO!!! And that is why the owners need to remove him. Hopefully this incident can seal his removal.

196. Trisomy 21 says:

This game is hard to watch, the habs look sluggish, maybe morally drained but maybe i’m projecting my emotions on to them. But st louis can’t manage to stay on side. Annoying.

197. Julie H says:

I imagine if he had, he would have said something along the line of “kudos to Chara. He did something I’ve been dying to do all year.”

198. Nahlsy says:

To say their hearts probably weren’t in it and that they’ve had a distraction the past couple of days would likely be a gross understatement. I wouldn’t have expected them to have made it as close as it was for as long as it was honestly.

Pouliot is no replacement for Max, where is Darche or anyone else please. Pouliot is at best a 4th liner. He cost us two goals tonight, and he has not even taken his penalty yet.

Eller line should move up now. We will win this game, but the give aways, oh my!! Thank Gawd for Carry.

200. Bill H says:

No question that equipment is a big part of the problem.  Good point. Suspensions are only part of the solution.

201. Duracell3 says:

4-1 blues. Not a focused game at all.

202. GhostRider says:

Gonna cut them some slack because the whole team was clearly very distracted.

That said, that was probably the worst Habs game i’ve ever had the misfortune of watching.  If anyone needs me, I’ll be washing out my eyeballs with soap.

203. SnowManHabs85 says:

They’re giving the win to Halak, leaving Price alone, this game was the slowest game the Habs have played so far this season.

204. Strabo says:

Engine room is where it’s at boys. Hard on my knees though, both knees have been operated on twice. I love that game though.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

For the life of me, I can’t understand why Hockey has not figured out yet, that equipment is a huge huge HUGE factor.  By putting equipment on which allows players to no longer feel anything when delivering hits, it has removed all of the bodies common senses as it relates to contact.  There is nothing wrong with equipment which protects the body but still allows the indidvidual to feel impact.  Look at how often a player attempts the huge hit, misses, hits the boards with incredible pace yet skates away like nothing happened.

Golf finally figured out equipment was ruining the game and put limitations on the ball, limitations on the groove faces, limitations on the trampoline effect of the drivers.

But no, Hockey says keep it coming, we want this stuff to be able to go through anything, including SKULLS.

Ridiculous.

206. Rugger says:

Tight 5 are the only positions I never played even a few minutes of, mostly played scrumhalf, and lately a lot of flanker in Old Boys games.

207. habitual says:

Ian, you have likely read Bettman’s statement to the US Congress:  horrific, but part of hockey.

Translation:  Who gives a shit, all I care about is a big US TV contract, holding onto moribund franchises in places that don’t care about hockey, and of course kissing owners asses.

Really, emotion and all that, I have never seen any professional sport – or for that matter backwater league – led by someone who is so immoral, condescending, and arrogant.  He is the epitome of Little Man Syndrome, and I am sad to say I see no change on the horizon.

208. ABHabsfan says:

If a middle-aged fat prop can recover from this injury to return to the rigors of front row, I am confident that Patch can. BTW I don’t really know what goes on up there, I played #10, but it looks tough!

209. lenny says:

well he should stop being a pussy and say something out loud so we can here it

210. sholi2000.com says:

It was Elliot or Shawn, pretty sure it was Elliot.

They Call Me Shane

211. petemoss says:

Was it Randy?

or one of the producers?

212. Wayne says:

Uhhh, Boston drafted him? Errr, he played about 5 seasons with them? Conspiracy aside, he was strictly speaking from observation while playing on a different team. Not like Lupul who has suddenly contracted a bad case of cataracts.

213. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Hey bud – I know this guy doesn’t have a clean record from the past. But this is just the beginning and hopefully, seeing Thornton speaking out like this, more players will be willing to do so. When there are enough voices against the league, perhaps a change will be made.

I don’t care who said what – as long as they’re supporting Max, I am supporting them as well.

214. Everlasting1 says:

I’m sure. Enough attention and careful observation to single out a team in regards to dishing out suspensions, and concluding Boston are a priveleged club for some enexplicable reason.

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

215. Everlasting1 says:

He’s just p!ssed he didn’t get off so easily with his suspension. What does he know about Boston playing in the West anyways?

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

216. SeriousFan09 says:

Perhaps as a hockey player, he pays attention to the NHL? Entirely possible.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I recognize your point that Murphy ruled on it.  But do any of us for a minute believe that Murphy didn’t do exactly what Colin would have done.  I mean, really, the guy has to answer to Colin as soon as this “investigation” was completed.  The fact that the NHL even does this dog and pony show of recusing Colin from Bruin related incidents, yet has an employee directly below him in the chain of command conduct the “investigation” is such a sham on every level.

218. DD says:

Yeah, a bozo named Murphy, who works directly for Campbell……….. can you say conflict of interest?

219. Wayne says:

Curious why Ference, who called out another Bruin this year, has laryngitis on this one. Wait, I know. He doesn’t want Chara to take a dump in his hockey bag.

220. Duracell3 says:

oh wow. Joe, DUCK AND COVER. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there was some sort of disciplinary action for him just for saying this.

221. Everlasting1 says:

Respect? For one who comes out of the box, makes a beeline to hit one from behind and to the head ending his season? His words are as cheap as his shots.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

222. SeriousFan09 says:

The problem is he’s also the guy who put David Perron on IR with his concussion, so that discredits him.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

223. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Joe Thornton has balls. Just gained tons of respect for him.

224. deuce6 says:

Joe Thornton quoted in the Globe and Mail: “It’s just something with Boston,” Thornton said. “It just seems like they have a horseshoe. We’ve seen the [Milan] Lucic cross-check to the head [of Maxim Lapierre] earlier, and there’s no disciplinary thing.

“It’s just something about Boston and the disciplinary [process] is on their side. I’m not sure why that is. I’m not assuming that Colin’s kid is on the team and that’s why, but it’s really bizarre.”

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

225. joeybarrie says:

GATORADE:

1-800-88-GATOR

The Gatorade Company
    P.O. Box 049003
    Chicago, IL 60604-9003

Contact Gatorade:

Facebook site. LEAVE MESSAGES.

Twitter site. LEAVE TWEETS LIKE CRAZY

IF WE ALL FIND AN ADDRESS OR SOMETHING ITLL BE EASY TO SEND OUT HUNDREDS EACH.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

226. sholi2000.com says:

One of the staff is losing their mind on the air during a commercial, now that’s funny!

They Call Me Shane

227. Propwash says:

Dang, I missed it!

228. petemoss says:

That was AMAZING!

229. sholi2000.com says:

Heard it loud and clear, very funny.

They Call Me Shane

230. DearyLeary says:

OMG LOL The team is having technical difficulties and someone is swearing non-stop and he’s not aware that he’s on the air.

HAHAAHAHAHAH

231. Storm Man says:

I will have to look on here later tonight to see who won the game….. For the first time ever in my life I won’t be watching the Habs play.

232. AndyF says:

I’m probably gonna do the same.   The NHL really sucks.

AndyF

233. I-no-u812 says:

That’s with no penalty on the play! go figure! How can Campbell be disciplinarian when he has a son playing in the league? HUGE conflict of interest!!

NHL= NO HOPE LEAGUE!!

234. Julie H says:

I guess this supsension is supposed to make us feel better. Fail.

235. Corporate says:

well he does but he is not the one that made the ruing. He can not judge because his kid plays for the Bruins. So it was the other bozo’s from teh league that came with this rediculous ruling.

236. RC-51 says:

So, Kubina gets 3 games and Z gets 0 games. WOW!?

Campell needs to step down, SERIOUS conflict of interest!

237. HNS says:

This is not over yet, not by a long shot.

238. Corio says:

I feel the same way..  :(  The excitement has been ripped out of it..

239. lavie says:

To be honest, being shocked and stuck in MaxPac’s case, I have no interests at all watching any Hockey games.

240. jennifer1984 says:

i read on the previous post that someone said they saw PG after the press conference and he was absolutely livid.

241. lenny says:

Not sure why, but I was reading the comments on the Boston Herald and Globe websites…sickening!!!!

Any update on if and when the Molsons are going to say something in public or are they going to keep Patches hanging out even further…they should be embarrassed for not speaking up!!!!!!

I have 0 interest in the game tonight

242. Say Ash says:

Has anybody been called up?

243. I-no-u812 says:

That would be hard to do because he is such a beast! I would try to lift his stick and “accidentally” clip him in his face…OOOOPPPS! Or while trying to turn I may “lose” an edge and take him at the knees. Two “hockey” plays that happen all the time;)

244. ClaytonM says:

Any truth to the rumor about Gaddafi being so incensed over the NHL ruling, he shut down HIO?

Seriously, what’s up with all the server down time during high traffic?

245. habsfan reduxit says:

… what happened to Max Pac was a terrible thing, and all that can be said about it has been. What the Habs need to do now is take a page from the Gipper’s book. “We have to go out there and win it all for Max. Everybody has to dig down that much deeper until the whole thing is won.”

“Whenever you have the puck, and don’t know what to do with it, put it in the net.” – Toe Blake

246. observer says:

Tony Massarotti, Boston.com StaffLet us begin with the simple fact that Zdeno Chara had every intention of running Max Pacioretty into, as Carey Price called it “the turnbuckle.” What Chara did not expect was for Pacioretty to clip the glass the way he did, his head struck at such a frightening angle that Pacioretty was carried away on a stretcher.

Zdeno Chara hit on Max Pacioretty

Go back and look, folks. Last week against Tampa Bay, Milan Lucic executed a similar hit on Dana Tyrell late in the first period [hit takes place with :25 seconds left in the first period in video]. Tyrell hit the turnbuckle, too. The difference was that Tyrell got up and nobody was carried off, and so we all celebrated the hit and cited it as an example of playoff-caliber hockey.

That hit was as every bit as ill-advised as this one.

247. Rugger says:

For once we are in agreement Observer.  Wonder what coalition of owners Molson would be able to put together to topple Bettman.

248. Graves says:

That’s the part that really gets me in all of this, the fact that he not only can’t be bothered to apologize, but that he’s placing the blame on Pacioretty. Turns my stomach.

249. DearyLeary says:

First he blamed him.  Now he’s claiming he didn’t know he was on the ice.  It’s bullspit because any ‘shut down defenceman’ knows exactly who’s on the ice at all times, let alone right after a faceoff.

250. otter649 says:

Thornton was asked for his opinion by the media & he gave it instead saying no comment etc………

251. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

That’s true Robert, but SOMEONE needed to speak against the league.

Someone – I just don’t care. Heck even Avery – but the league needed to be given a message. This BS cannot continue.

252. SeriousFan09 says:

I know, the problem is this will be used against him as the goons try and discredit who call this stuff out. It’s great that Henrik Sedin has said something as well but he’ll get slammed as a ‘Soft Euro’ likely, more voices speaking up the better but we’ll need a lot more.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

253. LA Loyalist says:

Maybe he is remorseful? I don’t know the guy, and have never been a fan of his, but he spoke up pretty bravely…

254. SeriousFan09 says:

Lot of news going on when Perron was injured so I didn’t really see Joe’s remarks after it. If he’s remorseful about what he did after the incident all well and good, just voicing a concern he might not be taken very seriously.

Also as an Ex-Bruin with a tumultous relationship with the fanbase, that doesn’t help him either. Sad but true.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

255. observer says:

they are not speaking out against the league – they are speaking out against BETTMAN THE MONEY GRABBING THIEF who chelios was right about when he said where bettman should go to

256. Rainrocket16 says:

Let’s win the whole damn thing now for MAX!! That will be the best revenge!!

257. BoomBoom says:

Chara is a disgusting low-life. Read Sylvain St.Laurent cyberpresse who covered him for 4 years while a Senator and you’ll hear about what a scumbag Chara really is. The guy actaully blamed MaxPac…wtf! Like I said before, I will raise a toast to the player who hurts him enough to be carried out on a stretcher.

258. ooder says:

bertuzzi cried and showed remorse..

chara blamed pacioretty and didnt apologize

what do u thinkt hat sais about him

——————

GWG = game winning gionta!

259. I-no-u812 says:

Who knows, Chara may never be the same beast after this! Bertuzzi was never the same physical presence on the ice post Moore.

260. Gar says:

Lets consider the situation  regarding Chara one last time.

First the score was 4-0.The Bruins were cleary and soundly beaten.There was only a few seconds left in the period.

Paciority had just levelled a Boston Bruin with a clean check.

Paciority and Chara have  a  well documented history

The puck at the time of this incident was no where near the play.

The video clearly establishes Chara using his arm to drive or at very least prevent Paciority the oppourtunity defend himself against the partition.Chara knew exactly where he was on the ice and took full advantage of the oppourtunity.

Chara’s responce that Pacioity jumped into the partition is ridiculus.His concern seemed less then genuine.

This was in my mind a thoughtless intentional attempt to injure.

The NHL should have considered  a minimum 20 game suspenion reduced to at least 10 games given Char’s otherwise clean record.

Enough said it is time to move on.

261. kevin m says:

He was a ZERO

262. observer says:

chara speaks 8 mockie languages from his slobovian/transalvanian upbringing can speak english but cant speak french.

263. Storm Man says:

Was Chara a -3 or a -4 when he tried to end MaxPac?

264. Danno says:

With all the hue and cry coming from some politicians about this ugly incident, one has to wonder if they are really sincere about sending the NHL a message or is it just posturing to get votes?

Could the government not pull the NHL out of PRO-LINE and Mise-o-jeu and other lotteries?

I am not sure if the NHL gets a cut of the lottery money. But if they do it would be a great way to send Bettman a message in the only language he understands…$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Even if the league receives no money from PRO-LINE it would be a great symbolic gesture for the government to pull hockey out of these lotteries.

The government can’t have it both ways. They can’t on one hand condemn the NHL for doing nothing to curb violence but then on the other hand rake in millions of dollars from lotteries which promote NHL hockey.

Money talks and BS walks.

Which will it be?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

265. Storm Man says:

I will bet you I won’t be watching tonight…. I will be boarding at COP park on the superpipe :).

266. rocketsglare says:

Just more bluster from the midget. The reality is that it would be a major blow to the NHL if Air Canada where indeed

to pull up stakes as it could be followed by other sponsors doing the same. That could imperil King Bettman’s throne.

267. NightRyder says:

The smug little troll Bettman essentially blowing off a sponsor. Hope the others take notice.

268. observer says:

“blowing off” – one thing is sure bettman can give is a standup one

269. dre1744 says:

Given  the events  of  the  last  few  days  the Habs  came  out  and  played  some  uninspired  hockey  tonight.  I  thought maybe  they would  rise  up  and  win this game  for  Max  but they looked like there heads  were somewhere else.

Cammy  has  been  just  invisible  as of  late.  And  Thomas Jagr  played  a poor game  tonight aswell.

Oh well they need to  regroup  and  get a win on saturday.  They  can’t let the Max  thing get em too down.

270. DavidKB says:

No legs tonight!

271. Say Ash says:

Of course you will. So will everybody else here, despite what they say. Remember the lockout? “Oh, I’ll never watch hockey again!” Uh-huh.

272. yves_on_habs says:

Wow… you mean there is a game?? (kidding)

I’m still fairly disgusted.. but I will likely watch.

- Yves -

273. Muckbringer says:

meh, we will take penguins, we have otherthings to worry about

274. Captain aHab says:

Well boys and girls, here’s your chance to let NHL sponsors know how you feel and ask them to follow Air Canada’s lead. I don’t have emails for all of them and some of the emails I have are likely not to the best person but it’s the best I could do.

You’ll have to put your address on the address line, and pick a zip code like 90210 or whatever as it only takes US addresses.

275. LA Loyalist says:

You guys can use my zip – 90036 – about a mile from 90210 :-)

276. Ton says:

individual should be commended. second writter from boston to come forward. unfortuneately he is getting a shit kicking for it by the unhumaine comments about max etc………………………. time to leave it go, things will unfold……….

277. observer says:

only message bettman wanted to send was to jacobs – thanks for your past support!

278. Everlasting1 says:

Giggeddy :-P

”We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

279. andrewberkshire says:

Stupid headline, Halak was a non-factor.

280. Everlasting1 says:

‘Halak’s Blues’ imply the team.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

281. SnowManHabs85 says:

Exactly, Habs didn’t even test Halak. Well there’s the headline for the media, attracting considering it’s a false headline.

282. kevin m says:

I believe that you can’t really understand or appreciate the game of hockey unless you actually try it.

So, I would suggest that Bettman & his associates lace ‘em up for a little exhibition game…outdoors, of course (preferably -30 c).

They would play against la creme de la creme.

Konopka – Ott – T. Gillies

Shelley – McCormick – Orr (not Bobby)

Crombeen – Rupp – Avery

Pronger – Carkner

Engelland – Peckham

Sutton – Erskine

We’ll just roll 3 lines.

There will be no time outs &, of course, no officials… because, as Campbell has repeatedly stated in e-mails, they’re incompetant.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

283. dre1744 says:

I remember  someone  put up a stat  when Gomez  plays  20  pluis minutes  we usually lose the game.  Well  during the 5 game win streak  he played around  18 min.  tonight  just over 20.  There you go JM  don’t play gomez  more then 18 min.

284. SmartDog says:

Woulda kept the game 2-1 if he wasn’t out there to make that bad pass to (near) Subban for the Blues to steal and come in and score.

285. Windwalker says:

why is Gomewz back opn the ice after giving away pucks? is there no accountability on this guy.  pouliot sits for a stupid penalty.  gomez plays on after stupid plays

286. dre1744 says:

both gomez and benny should sit as they suck!!!!!