Game 67: Canadiens win, but lose Pacioretty

Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend rushes to the aid of Max Pacioretty after a vicious hit by Bruins’ Zdeno Chara during the second period on Tuesday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Hickey on Chara’s hit | Stubbs on Chara’s hit

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Lars Eller | Carey Price | Jacques Martin

Update: Bruins’ Marchand rips Habs

• At a Glance: At the end of the day, the result of Tuesday night’s game between the Bruins and Canadiens was secondary. Yes, the Canadiens won 4-1, but all the attention, rightly so, was turned to the health of Max Pacioretty, who was carted off the ice on a stretcher after a vicious hit by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara. Lars Eller scored two goals in the first period to lift his team into a 2-0 lead. Both goals were the result of Eller going to net, and his second one was particularly nice. The Canadiens went to work on the power play in the second period, scoring twice to double their lead. Brian Gionta scored his 24th goal of the season 7:15 into the period when his shot eluded Tuukka Rask and dribbled over the goal line. At the 15:09 mark, James Wiesniewki was given plenty of room to wind up and fired a laser through Rask, who had no chance on it. Milan Lucic ended Carey Price’s shutout bid 13:21 into the third period with his 29th goal of the season. Price still made 30 saves for his league-leading 32nd win of the season. Pacioretty was selected as the game’s third star and received a warm ovation from the fans.

• Key Moments: With 16 seconds to play in the second period, Chara crushed Pacioretty into the glass partition between the two benches. Pacioretty lay motionless on the ice for several minutes, and was take off by stretcher. Chara was thrown out of the game and will likely have a meeting with the NHL over the hit. The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reported via Twiiter during the third period that Pacioretty was conscious, and all limbs moving. He was sent to hospital for observation. RDS is reprting that Pacioretty will remain in hospital overnight for observation.

• What It Means: The Canadiens have won five straight and improve to 37-24-7 for 81 points, securing their hold on sixth place in the Eastern Conference and bringing them to withing three points of the Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens hit the road for games in St. Louis on Thursday and a Saturday afternoon matchup with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

1. HugeHabsFan says:

Thanks Bugsy – on my way over.  I’ll vote til I’m blocked and then do it all over again once I get home from work. ;o)

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

2. mrhabby says:

check out the movie SALT …

3. Malreg says:

Didn’t he say he doesn’t like movies with plot holes that you can drive a zamboni through?  The last 15 minutes of that movie were absolutely terrible…

4. sutepan says:

So let me get this straight. PK talks trash on the ice in the heat of the moment, half the league is up in arms calling him a ‘disrespectful rookie’, and Brad Richards is strongly hinting that someone should take him out. Marchand goes WAAAAY further in his PUBLIC trash talking and no one says a peep? Hmmmm…what could be the difference here….?

5. _Habsoloutly_ says:

that whole movie was garbage.

6. Stooof says:

Everything in this comment is rigth except for using it against someone raising money for charity. Good hearts.  Good peeps.  Drug dealers they are, but the people suffering, or the who care enough to raise money for sufferers don’t deserve your scorn for the system. come on man.

that said, cancer is man made and its a sad truth that most of us dont care to face.  we do it to ourselves.  or we are done in by horrible substances being allowed into our food and products.. alas

7. andrewberkshire says:

8. cautiousoptimist says:

9. Bugs says:

No. Do NOT check out “Salt”.

Formulaic. Glossed-over don’t-I-look-cool-in-this-shot direction. And how, oh how, we are supposed to believe that delicate silver-spooned lady can beat up four 300-lbers in one go is beyond normal suspension of disbelief.

No innovative action sequences. No scene-stealing performance by anybody. No clever one-liners. Nothing that makes this movie stand out beyond run-of-the-mill fare. Just vanity fair, I’m afraid. And for the record: Jolie can’t act. There, I said it.

Sunday afternoon, off the computer, ok maybe then, it’s a “meh”.

10. Bugs says:

A little bit of “Shattered” in there too.

11. Mark C says:

I get to listen to Felger a lot (live in NH), he always makes a big deal about stats when they fit his theories, but in this case his best evidence, which he repeats ad nauseum how Mikey Ribs faked an injury 7 years ago. It’s such weak sauce. Then he acts like the Bruins never play chippy or cheap and a Bruin would never dive.

12. zaq007 says:

Can’t beleive I couldn’t piece tha together myself!!

13. SmartDog says:

I want MY baby back!!!

…whatever.  I can’t watch her anymore.

14. andrewberkshire says:

I dunno if Jolie can’t act, but she sure has mailed in the last decade or so. Aside from ‘A Mighty Heart’.

15. bozzo says:

ST. LOUIS BLUES: Activated G Jaroslav Halak from injured reserve. Assigned G Ben Bishop to Peoria (American Hockey League).

Nice to see Halak Vs Price!

16. mrhabby says:

she has nice lips.

17. Bugs says:

So does Joan Rivers.

18. Jordio-oh says:

Can’t act? Can’t act you say?

I hear they give out academy awards and academy award nominations to people like that……

In that case, Meryl Streep is a terrible actress. Hilary Swank? who’s she….

19. mrhabby says:

lol, lol.

20. HugeHabsFan says:

Wow!  That’s an insane amount of money your wife has raised!!  Congrats to her for her hard work and dedication.  I’ve done a lot of fundraising for cancer (Relay for Life among them) but cannot say I’ve ever raised that much.  Very exciting stuff!

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

21. HugeHabsFan says:

Very entertaining to say the least! lol

You were killin’ ’em with common sense Bugs!

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

22. Say Ash says:

“TT is playing great for us but you gotta admit Price is playing awesome for the Habs, especially with Markov and Gorges gone for the year. How would our goalies do without Chara, let alone some of our other D?”

This must have been one of you. I can’t imagine a Bruins fan being this rational.

23. geo_habsgo says:

Habs you are a god. Fighting the good fight. I find it funny how quick they are to insult us over there. You give them a rational argument and they reply by cussing you out. Oh well. Thats why we will just continue to do what we do in Montreal.

24. shiram says:

Halle Berry won an academy award for best actress…

25. says:

I was hoping to see Bishop vs Price, oh well maybe next year.

They Call Me Shane

26. Jordio-oh says:

And she deserved it for the role she was in. Who really wants to get naked with Billy Bob Thornton, besides Angelina Jolie. Full circle!

I will say her category was weak that year though. Zellweger for Bridget Jone’s Diary and Kidman for Moulin Rouge.

27. shiram says:

Bad actress can win it all, is the point. They should have taken that award back after Catwoman.

28. Bugs says:

Well, I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a dab of smarm in there a bit…

29. Bugs says:

Marisa Tomei won an Oscar. She beat out Joan Plowright. Ok? Joan Plowright. That’s when I got out. Oscars don’t mean nuthin to me unless it’s for set or costume design…or key grips…whatever the hell those are.

30. Jordio-oh says:

My point was that you can’t say someone “can’t act” if they’ve won one of actings greatest achievements. Sure Halle Berry has done some bad roles, and Jolie definitely has, but they’re not terrible enough actresses to suggest they can’t act. Most times they’re at the mercy of the script or director or producer and so forth. I don’t think Hepburn could have made Catwoman work the way they produced it.

Besides, it wasn’t a very serious point anyway. Just trying to keep Bugs honest while simultaneously entertaining myself with a little sarcasm.

Way to get serious and ruin it. gaaaaaahhh.

31. Chuck says:

I guess that We’ll be ‘graced’ with Everlasting’s presence soon.

32. adamkennelly says:

guess I’m going to STL…4 hour drive, tix for me and the woman, hotel, din. here’s hoping for a great game tonight and some momentum into their game vs. the Blues….

33. shiram says:

Oh so sorry about that, I’d make fart jokes to smooth out the serious mood, but they do not work so well on the net.

Berry was great in Flintstones and Swordfish thats for sure, great acting talent there… yup. I guess she was ok in X-men as well.

34. rocketsglare says:

Who cares if she can’t act. As long as she looks good on screen.

35. Dwayne33 says:

mike richards not brad

36. SmartDog says:

double bubble

37. SmartDog says:

Haven’t seen that before… a comment CHANGED once it’s been replied to. And by someone not afraid to go out on a limb themselves.  Who did this?

38. SmartDog says:

Lets not forget bacteria, viruses, toxins, accidents, genetics, and the complex and f-d up environment we live in.  Oh yeah, and just basically bad luck.  Besides all that, I agree with you sort of at least.

39. SmartDog says:

I threw in a handful of votes but I’m not sure it took after the first 2 or 3.  They can limit that with a cookie.

Anyway, good comments. Funny stuff.

Mostly you can see that the Bruin fans don’t know hockey.

40. Bugs says:

Speakin of, a quip of hers today: “Charlie Sheen’s brain cells are just like the cast of Celebrity Apprentice. As of today, there are only 15 left.”

41. Hobie Hansen says:

Thank Goodness Cammalleri is in the lineup tonight!

The key, in my opinion, to winning tonight’s game is all of our offensive weapons bringing their “A” game.

We need Plekanec taking his fair share of shots and dropping some passes back to Cammalleri to hammer it home!

We need Gomez and Ginota buzzing around Boston’s net and big Max Pacioretty slamming in rebounds or another beauty one-timer!

We need PK gobbling up rebounds and going end to end and we could use a few bombs from the point by the Wiz on the PP.

We’re not going to win the game by fighting with Lucic or Chara but it would be nice to be up 5-1 by the mid third and to see Moen land an uppercut on Thornton’s chin and send him to dressing room!

42. S_Dot says:

Counting down the hours til game time…I think the lineup tonight is just what we were asking for, Mara and White will slot in and add a little size and grit…

Is there a better rivalry in hockey? Nothing compares to a Habs-Bruins gameday…

43. HalifaxHabs says:

6 hours until puck drop

The only reason for the negative chatter about P.K. is because he is a very difficult player to play against. And he can make a vet. player look pretty ordinary. They don’t like it and Subban is not afraid to talk back to them, he is that good and getting better every day.

I have watched him play at least 300 games. Every since he was a 16 year old walk on to his OHL junior team. He has played the same way every night. When you talk to him he is the most respectful, intelligent and classy kid that I have come to know in the game. He stands up for himself and is the perfect team mate.

45. SeriousFan09 says:

White and Mara in, Picard, Weber, Pyatt are out.

I don’t think the FWD lines will get switched outside of White playing on DD line.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

46. LA Loyalist says:

if you have a chance, USA TODAY, today’s issue, has an interesting and fairly prominent article on NHL concussions.

Considering how little attention they give hockey in general, it’s pretty high profile.

It’s sometimes interesting to see what the US papers write about hockey. Nothing revelatory, just an overview of things, but maybe worth a peak.

47. SmartDog says:

Habs are icing a strong team.  Anyone have the line-up?

I just hope Halpern is not on the first line… great guy just not the right fit for there.  We need someone else who is dangerous.

48. lavie says:

I noticed Subban when he played for Belleville in 2006 season. I brought my son to an Ottawa 67 game against Belleville, but interestingly I started loving to watch an aspiring player from the Bulls team, whose name is PK Subban.

I was so happy when Subban became a Hab in 2007 Entry Draft…

49. SmartDog says:

Maybe Halpern-Pleks-Cami will catch fire, but I don’t think so.   We need an energy/physical presence on that line to knock pucks loose.. not an aging vet.

50. DD says:

I totally agree, Ian. I met him a few years ago at the Bull’s summer golf tounament, and he was polite, respectful and very approachable. After I left, I thought to myself, what a great kid, his parents must be proud of him.

Notice when these so called super star vets start whining about him, it’s usually the day after PK shut them down and made them look ordinary. As for the supposed chirping, well if it’s getting under their skin, then he’s doing his job.

I’d love to see him line up Richards.

51. TripleX says:

Sadly, the only time the NHL gets coverage in the US, it invariably has a negative aspect to it.  Violence and brawls on the ice for example.

The NHL is promoted as a quasi legitimate sport like roller derby and wrestling.  Hopefully one day mainstream America will appreciate the beauty, speed and skill inherent in the game.  Not holding my breath though.

52. SeriousFan09 says:

Who do you insert though, White? Moen I think we’ve all had enough of in the Top-6 and AK is flying along with Eller. One could try Max-pac but he’s a natural LW and he’s been at his best playing that position, he isn’t supplanting Cammy at #1 LW position.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

53. Hobie Hansen says:

You’re right on the mark as usual Ian. I saw him play a lot against the Generals in the OHL as well.

I think what bothers guys like Richards and company is that they used to be able to walk into Montreal, over the last decade, and win the majority of the games.

Recently, Montreal has a new attitude, led by guys like Subban, and it drives them crazy. Not only does Richards have to worry about the Pens and Caps causing him problems but now the Canadiens are right there too.

Many Habs haters were happy to see the team relatively harmless going back over ten years but now that they’re on the cusp of becoming great, it’s a hard pill to swallow!

54. TripleX says:

I think putting an agitator like Ryan White on that line might create some space for Pleks and Cammi.

55. SmartDog says:

I hate it but you have to leave MaxPac with Gomez.  He’s the one guy who seems to be able to generate points with Gomer as his center so he has to stay there. And as you say, Kostitsyn-Eller seems to work too…. and not Moen (as you also point out)… so –  I have it!  Move Gill up!  Big net-crashing body, on a points streak.  Yes, that will work.

56. VancouverHab says:

Yep! Here’s what I said earlier:

Having an honest and estimable plugger-grinder (Halperin) on one of the top lines is dragging the centre’s (Pleks) production down — like Moen did for Gomez earlier this season.

What are JM’s alternatives?

• Break up the now-successful Gomez line & give Gio or MaxPac to Pleks?
    • Break up the now-successful Eller line & give AK to Pleks? (Not Moen, obviously)
    • Elevate Pouliot to the Pleks line?
    • Mix ‘n match?

You are JM: what do you do

57. savethepuck says:

I hope the lines are:

The same as they’ve been for the last 6 games that we have 22 goals for and 13 against. We have 4 balanced lines and people seem to not realize that the cammy, Plex, Halpern line is a good shut down line against other top lines with the speed and skill to attack the other net.

If the lines are not this, I will be totally shocked.

58. kevin m says:

I’m just curious; but, what do you think PG could get, in terms of draft choices, for both PK & CP?

4 first round picks?

2 1st & 2 2nd?

Just wondering…

59. SmartDog says:

That may be the best option (see below), and White would LOVE it and you wanna believe he’d provide the energy that line needs.

60. HabFanSince72 says:

And that’s just on!

61. Pieboy says:

or a wedgie

62. andrewberkshire says:

My favourite is how he talked after the February 9th game about Subban being a chicken because he wouldn’t fight. Marchand has ZERO career pro fights. I want Marchand to fight Subban.

63. Mark C says:

I love how he’s making things up, claiming that Montreal players were throwing the first punches. Someone tell this kid about

64. Clutch10 says:

I hope subban gets him again that little weasel

65. Hobie Hansen says:

A Pink Slip!

66. Mark C says:

Tony M. is joining one of Boston’s sport talk stations next, he’ll be talking with the same losers that go into it with Hickey. Should be good.

67. andrewberkshire says:

I normally don’t say things like this, because I’m not big on fighting in hockey, but I really really really hope someone caves in Marchand’s face. Like not a little scrap where he loses, but knock some teeth out and have him miss some games.

68. savethepuck says:

He would get a contract put on his life. He would be kucky to get out of town alive.

69. Ton says:

Ian since you have seen him much; how was PK groomed in junior, given the green light to rush at any time or much like in the nhl> learn the defensive side of game first……..he’s definately being held back from doing more ofensively……..interesting to see how he developed in junior

70. VancouverHab says:

Yeah, but that was the exact argument used to justify putting Moen with the Gomez-Gio line — and that screwed Gomez AND Gio up for months, until they got an player who has actual, you know, SECOND LINE SKILLS. Moen is awesome as a 3rd-4th liner & PK player — as is White & Halperin. So keep them there.

Related is common failure of fan-boi-ness: a player looks great on 3rd or 4th line…so that fanbois want to elevate him to the top 6. They see the 3rd – 4th liner getting points there & assume he’ll get even more points on the top 6. Well, it don’t work that way. Two-way pressure and quality of opposition is WAY higher up there: the 3rd-4th liner success comes in large part from the top 6 doing all the heavy lifting against the opponents big guns.

71. Bugs says:

More like an execution by firing squad…

72. SmartDog says:

Just came across this article about Fats, I mean Lats…

I love how they cry all over him for not being given the chance in Montreal.  Boo-hoo.

73. HalifaxHabs says:

It’s funny, being from Halifax, you’d think I’d like Marchand, but in fact I know him so well, I have to hate his guts. I won’t even get into how he ruined the locker room the year the Mooseheads traded a boatload of picks for him, and we self destructed by the 2nd round.

Back to the Habs, after the brawl game I saw a quote for Marchand saying something to the effect of PK was lucky the refs jumped in, or Lucic would have killed him… All I could think was what a gutless coward this kid is… Marchand is the one with beef with PK, PK is the one that laid him out, and know his hiding behind bigger men on his team hoping they beat up PK for him.

It’s disgusting to me, he should either fight PK himself, or keep his rat mouth shut. And for those who might want to point out the discrepancy in size between PK and Marchand, they might want to consider the discrepancy in size between Lucic and PK, or anyone else Lucic has layed out from behind for that matter… hell by that logic, Chara would only ever be allowed to fight Tyler Myers or Derek Boogard.

did I mention I hate everything Boston?

74. Zenneth1967 says:

“Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”