Game 67: Canadiens win, but lose Pacioretty

Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend rushes to the aid of Max Pacioretty after a vicious hit by Bruins’ Zdeno Chara during the second period on Tuesday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Hickey on Chara’s hit | Stubbs on Chara’s hit

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Lars Eller | Carey Price | Jacques Martin

Update: Bruins’ Marchand rips Habs

• At a Glance: At the end of the day, the result of Tuesday night’s game between the Bruins and Canadiens was secondary. Yes, the Canadiens won 4-1, but all the attention, rightly so, was turned to the health of Max Pacioretty, who was carted off the ice on a stretcher after a vicious hit by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara. Lars Eller scored two goals in the first period to lift his team into a 2-0 lead. Both goals were the result of Eller going to net, and his second one was particularly nice. The Canadiens went to work on the power play in the second period, scoring twice to double their lead. Brian Gionta scored his 24th goal of the season 7:15 into the period when his shot eluded Tuukka Rask and dribbled over the goal line. At the 15:09 mark, James Wiesniewki was given plenty of room to wind up and fired a laser through Rask, who had no chance on it. Milan Lucic ended Carey Price’s shutout bid 13:21 into the third period with his 29th goal of the season. Price still made 30 saves for his league-leading 32nd win of the season. Pacioretty was selected as the game’s third star and received a warm ovation from the fans.

• Key Moments: With 16 seconds to play in the second period, Chara crushed Pacioretty into the glass partition between the two benches. Pacioretty lay motionless on the ice for several minutes, and was take off by stretcher. Chara was thrown out of the game and will likely have a meeting with the NHL over the hit. The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reported via Twiiter during the third period that Pacioretty was conscious, and all limbs moving. He was sent to hospital for observation. RDS is reprting that Pacioretty will remain in hospital overnight for observation.

• What It Means: The Canadiens have won five straight and improve to 37-24-7 for 81 points, securing their hold on sixth place in the Eastern Conference and bringing them to withing three points of the Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens hit the road for games in St. Louis on Thursday and a Saturday afternoon matchup with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

1. SmartDog says:

Breaking new ground in assholedom.

2. otter649 says:

Listened to the interview in the station audio vault so after TM hung up – One of the hosts said nothing like a transplanted Italian in Montreal with Tony doing a good job trying to keep the discussion balanced………

3. scrowe21 says:

I wonder if he can use his straight right as a weapon tonight and punch out Krecji again.

4. JD_ says:

Ok, I’m pretty good at these: Both Richards and Marchand are lefties, while Soobs shoots right?

5. Bugs says:

It’s not just about the voting, folks; it’s also about (mmph!) sharing your (snort) opinions in the comments section…mwooa-ha-haaa!

They love us for it. They really, really love us.

6. observer says:

PK reminds Bruins fans of a young Bobby Orr and they hate the fact he’ll be playing against them for another 10 to 15 years for Montreal.

7. observer says:

Of the last 8 meetings – Habs won 6 games, Bruins won a measly 2.

Feb 9 2011 L 8-6
    Jan 8 2011 W 3-2
    Dec 16 2010 W 4-3
    Nov 11 2010 W 3-1
    Mar 13 2010 W 3-2
    Mar 2 2010 W 4-1
    Feb 7 2010 L 3-0
    Feb 4 2010 W 3-2

8. Hobie Hansen says:

Hey Bugs, we finally agree on something! I’ve been voting for Price and making some comments over there! I’ve dummied it down a bit to be on the same page as a Bostonian though!

9. G-Man says:

Newsflash! This team goes as far as Gomez, Gionta and MaxPac takes them. You can not like his contract all you want, but when the playoffs start, he will be among the leaders (barring injury).

Your hatred of all things Gomez makes me think your handle should be changed to Not-Quite-So-Smart-Dog.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

Barcelona are so much better than Arsenal. It will be a shame if they don’t go through.

11. andrewberkshire says:

That must have been on the recent road trip. Cogliano sure is a tough hombre…

12. LA Loyalist says:

Remember that Saku raised money for a cancer machine (not sure what) while here in Montreal.

It’s an honorable thing, he wasn’t bugging any one for donations.

That said, I don’t know why he couldn’t see the 3rd period at least. How long does it take to shave your head?

13. HalifaxHabs says:

LOL Hudson, way to break it down for him!!!

Good on you and your wife.

14. andrewberkshire says:

You mean he isn’t honourable enough.

15. JIMVINNY says:

Marchand may be a moron, but I don’t think even he is stupid enough to talk smack like that and then get into a fight with PK.

16. SmartDog says:

Your post is pretty much a lie.  Look at the numbers.

Playing with Pleks almost everyone has solid numbers over time – and MUCH higher than with Gomez.   Kostitsyn, Gionta, Cammalleri.   There are off games sure but the trend is strong and Gomez (as Basu put it) has this year been a black hole of offensive production.   Maybe he’ll do better in the playoffs, but even he would admit it’s been a bad season, and almost has in interviews.. why can’t you?

17. Max_a_million says:

Which One?

Tony will handle himself better against aggressive opposition than Hickey and Boone.  That plays more into his style.

18. Mark C says:

He’s a joke, no wonder ALL the Bruins fans LOVE him. Marchand hasn’t had more than one fight in a season going back to his Q years. He has no right to talk. He’s worse than Mad-Max, at least he would fight more than once a year.

19. VancouverHab says:

That’s the mob wisdom here, but I think (obviously) that it’s backwards.

Gomez couldn’t “generate points” for whom else? AK, Pouliot & Moen. Well Pleks didn’t “generate points” with them either. (Substitute Halperin for Moen in Pleks’ case.)

All the geniuses & Gomophobes here aren’t wondering why AK is on the 3rd line & Pouliot is on the 4th, rather than with Pleks on the first? If Pleks would “generate points” with either of them, JM would have them there. Duh.

So why does Gomez get busted for not “generating points” with the same players that Pleks gets a pass for not “generating points” with? Hmm?

20. Hobie Hansen says:

Damn, wish i had my headphones with me at work today!

21. VancouverHab says:

….or a cell at Arkham Asylum.

22. Clutch10 says:

no neck little bastard

23. HalifaxHabs says:

lol, you can’t even really “wonder” about that one because it’s beyond comprehension, and an impossible question to answer…

but seriously, what picks would the Pens get for trading Crosby?

see what I mean?

24. Mark C says:

The Sport Hub 98.5

Tony is pretty much schooling them.

Tony noted how wrong Marchand was with his first punch comment.

25. Kamal Panesar says:

White and Mara are both in the lineup tonight…no real surprise there. It will be interesting to see how the Canadiens respond since they didn’t have White, Mara or Sopel in the lineup the last time they played the B’s.

Kamal writes on & Hockeybuzz. Follow on Facebook & Twitter.

26. JIMVINNY says:

The two of them together?  If Phil Kessel is worth 2 firsts and 1 second, then those two are probably worth 3-4 firsts, EACH.  To make that trade would be insanity, however, unless those two were the only players left on the team.

27. HalifaxHabs says:

5 hours til puck drop

ding ding ding

28. HUDSONHAB says:

My wife is shaving her head tonight at 7:35 pm tonight. Raising money for our local hospital memography fund. She raised over 10 G’s and a wealthy businesman is going to match it. Needless to say I’m going to miss the game. Thank you Mr PVR, I hope the game is worth watching once all is said and done.

29. SmartDog says:

Good on ya!

I strongly suggest you develop the hots for bald women – or at least for women who have their hearts in the right place!

And of course, you can always congratulate her with some wigs for the boudoir!  What do you want tonight – blond, brunette, redhead??

30. andrewberkshire says:

Marchand has had a bad reputation his entire career. He was nearly kicked off the WJC team half way through the tournament one year.

Hilarious that Marchand talks about Subban being lucky refs are around when he’s hiding behind Lucic and Chara and peering through their legs.

31. HUDSONHAB says:

I have a friend who is a Bruin fan and he tries to tell me that he would rather be good every year and compete for the cup rather than win it once and then not have a good team for long stretches.

Do I believe him? Do you?

32. G-Man says:

Stop talking sense; you’re wasting you’re time.

33. Zenneth1967 says:

“Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”

34. stnbog says:

I live in Boston.

Heard all the ripping of Tony M.

Tony M. put them thier place.

But they are stilling ripping him.

Funny stuff

35. HUDSONHAB says:

I have shaved my head for years so now the wig is on the other head, so to speak. :)

36. andrewberkshire says:

Subban has more fights that Lucic this year, and he still gets no disrespect.

37. SeriousFan09 says:

Actually he has one, and he lost it to Andrew Cogliano.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

38. SmartDog says:

Gomez -15, 32 points is not having much of a season…. compared for example to Plekanec +14, 51 points.

See my post above for me response to you fantasy-gomez guys.

39. Zenneth1967 says:

This idiot’s comment has been deleted due to lack of common sense on his part.

40. McPhee35 says:

I see a lot of posts that include Sopel in our list of tough players in for tonight… I’m not sure if I’m missing something (hope I am) but I haven’t seen him being particularly aggressive in his breif history with our Habs.  When people rush Price, I don’t see him pushing them away forcefully and his hockey fights card makes it seem as though he hasn’t fought since 06-07 (

Is Sopel a guy that will drop them, eagerly? Or is he a guy who happens to have dropped them in the past, but doesn’t necessarily ‘enjoy’ doing it?

41. HUDSONHAB says:

Let me explain. And I will type slowly so you can understand it. It is a machine for the hospital to aid in the care of cancer patience.

It is on here because I will not get to see the game and a cause like cancer is the only thing that would prevent me from missing a game.

Got it?

42. Zenneth1967 says:

“Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”

43. HalifaxHabs says:

44. VancouverHab says:

Get help.

45. HabFanSince72 says:

Saku raised money for a PET scanner at the Montreal General.

Good on you and your wife HudsonHab. Don’t listen to the Dallas Cowboy.

46. Mike T says:

Wow, people like you disgust me.

Very Honorable HudsonHab

47. Bugs says:

They’re starting to crack over dere and it’s beautiful…

Surely opinions were made to be shared, no?

48. VancouverHab says:

A mistake maybe, SD, but not a lie ;–)

The lie, I think, is in the numbers.

I seem to be exaggerating Gomez’s favourable position for the natural reason that I am arguing against people who are hyper-exaggerating his unfavourable one. In other words, there is absolutely no context provided for Gomez’s situation thsi year, every negative situation is over-emphasised, and every favourable situation binned (honourable exceptions like Mr Berkshire — no Gomez auto-booster — yesterday pointing out Gomez’s leading takeaway stats.)

I stand by what I say in the post above (& which isn’t addressed.) Gomez gets solid linemates and he produces. He gets Halperin-AK-Pouliot-Moen and he doesn’t produce. If Pleks got such superior numbers with AK….THEN AK WOULD BE PLEK’S LINEMATE RIGHT NOW!!! (Justified shouting there ;–) Same with Pouliot.

Just sayin’ that Gomez lack of production corresponds EXACTLY with his lack of stable quality linemates. Now that Pleks is in Gomez’s former situation, Pleks (whom I love) is in Gomez’s former production situation.

Sauce for the goose is saunce for the gander, dude.

Crikey, this is Montreal. Why is the concept of “good lines” so alien to so many now? Richard hits his stride only when he gets set with solid linemates. Lafleur with Lemaire & Shutt.

49. JohnBellyful says:

I wonder if Pouliot could use his propensity to fall as a strategic weapon tonight. As in, collapsing in full flight while in the vicinity of Chara or Lucic and wiping one or both of them in one of those unfortunate mishabs he’s occasionally prone to. Think of it as two sports in one: hockey and bowling for dullards.

50. VancouverHab says:

PS: +/- is different but 32 to 51 is hardly a yawning chasm. At the current rate, and current line matching, Gomez could overtake Pleks no problem.

And I hate this type of argument anyway: why can’t I love Gomez and Pleks — and every other Hab — alike, & celebrate their different attributes? Using Pleks as a stick to beat a teamate with is not the kind of fandom I like…

51. JIMVINNY says:

I got blocked for placing too many votes.  I hace to wait through a cooling off period.

52. drivefor25 says:

Carey’s ahead of Thomas 59.51% to 40.15% – in a poll on a Bruins site in Boston lol. Thanks for the heads-up on this, Bugs. My credo – vote early and vote often!

Fan since ’71

53. Jordio-oh says:

As a Gunners supporter I respectively disagree. Barca plays tactical and dominating football and i respect their first side, but i won’t lose sleep if they don’t go through.

54. CBrady12 says:

Going to the game tonight boys!! Should be a good one!

I love them all, until the day they change jersey’s

56. eyhp says:

Brad Marchand is a little s**t that talks a lot of trash, he is just upset that he got laid out by PK the game before when he is the one skating with his head down.

Rob, you got to start looking at the player from a different angle, you may just see how good he is every shift. You Dogs are so close to the ground, stand on a chair or something my friend.!

58. oshawahabsfan says:

Hahaha “we sweeped you two years ago”

59. andrewberkshire says:

Very sad that this is how you would respond to an act of charity.

60. habs365 says:

HUDSONHAB:  we should have more people on this site like you, unlike the dummy who made a smart remark regarding your comment to raise money mor a cancer machine maybe his turn will come….

61. habs365 says:

sorry about the spelling mistake meant to raise money for a cancer machine.

He was so fast, he could go deep and by the time the puck was turned over to the other team, he was back in position on the D. He has started to catch on, that the NHL is a lot faster, and he now does not get caught here as much now.

He has adjusted well, with lots more to learn. But he will be a good as any D that has played at this level. Just a little time.

63. LA Loyalist says:

Here are the rules for the Anaheim Ducks blog. We are lucky, these would just about shut us down! Especially the joking about tragedies (like losses, or Gomez, or JM….)

Reader Comments
    Comments are encouraged, but you must follow our User Agreement.
    1. Keep it civil and stay on topic.
    2. No profanity, vulgarity, racial slurs or personal attacks.
    3. People who harass others or joke about tragedies will be blocked.

64. Max_a_million says:

Tony did well.  Felger is horrible, he just screams and repeats things to make it so.  Not a shred of tangible evidence to support his crazy theory.

65. JohnBellyful says:

This would be poetic justice:

No mayhem, just play ‘em, and slay ‘em tonight
    No bashing, no slashing, no smashing – that’s right
    Just meet ‘em, defeat ‘em, and not even fight

66. JD_ says:

Just caught Liam Neeson’s Unknown. Bit of a blend of The Bourne Identity, Frantic, and The Formula. The movie does, in fact, hold up quite well. Bein’ a fan of the genre, among others, appreciate when there aren’t plot gaps you can drive a Zamboni through.

If I had to critique it, January Jones is cute but can’t act. Her character almost seems like an offshot of the mildly ditzy one she plays on Mad Men. Betty Rubble would have been far more convincin’ in the role of a trained assassin.

The relevance to the Habs?

There’s a scene at the end where Neeson says somethin’ to Aidan Quinn along the lines of, “I remember everythin’, asshole.” Then he takes him out.

Know what I mean?