Game 67: Canadiens win, but lose Pacioretty

Canadiens head athletic therapist Graham Rynbend rushes to the aid of Max Pacioretty after a vicious hit by Bruins’ Zdeno Chara during the second period on Tuesday night. John Kenney, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Tuesday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story | Hickey on Chara’s hit | Stubbs on Chara’s hit

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Mike Cammalleri | Lars Eller | Carey Price | Jacques Martin

Update: Bruins’ Marchand rips Habs

• At a Glance: At the end of the day, the result of Tuesday night’s game between the Bruins and Canadiens was secondary. Yes, the Canadiens won 4-1, but all the attention, rightly so, was turned to the health of Max Pacioretty, who was carted off the ice on a stretcher after a vicious hit by Bruins captain Zdeno Chara. Lars Eller scored two goals in the first period to lift his team into a 2-0 lead. Both goals were the result of Eller going to net, and his second one was particularly nice. The Canadiens went to work on the power play in the second period, scoring twice to double their lead. Brian Gionta scored his 24th goal of the season 7:15 into the period when his shot eluded Tuukka Rask and dribbled over the goal line. At the 15:09 mark, James Wiesniewki was given plenty of room to wind up and fired a laser through Rask, who had no chance on it. Milan Lucic ended Carey Price’s shutout bid 13:21 into the third period with his 29th goal of the season. Price still made 30 saves for his league-leading 32nd win of the season. Pacioretty was selected as the game’s third star and received a warm ovation from the fans.

• Key Moments: With 16 seconds to play in the second period, Chara crushed Pacioretty into the glass partition between the two benches. Pacioretty lay motionless on the ice for several minutes, and was take off by stretcher. Chara was thrown out of the game and will likely have a meeting with the NHL over the hit. The Gazette’s Dave Stubbs reported via Twiiter during the third period that Pacioretty was conscious, and all limbs moving. He was sent to hospital for observation. RDS is reprting that Pacioretty will remain in hospital overnight for observation.

• What It Means: The Canadiens have won five straight and improve to 37-24-7 for 81 points, securing their hold on sixth place in the Eastern Conference and bringing them to withing three points of the Bruins for first place in the Northeast Division.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens hit the road for games in St. Louis on Thursday and a Saturday afternoon matchup with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

1. andrewberkshire says:

Agreed.

2. cautiousoptimist says:

Awesome!!

3. Bugs says:

No. Do NOT check out “Salt”.

Formulaic. Glossed-over don’t-I-look-cool-in-this-shot direction. And how, oh how, we are supposed to believe that delicate silver-spooned lady can beat up four 300-lbers in one go is beyond normal suspension of disbelief.

No innovative action sequences. No scene-stealing performance by anybody. No clever one-liners. Nothing that makes this movie stand out beyond run-of-the-mill fare. Just vanity fair, I’m afraid. And for the record: Jolie can’t act. There, I said it.

Sunday afternoon, off the computer, ok maybe then, it’s a “meh”.

4. Bugs says:

A little bit of “Shattered” in there too.

5. Mark C says:

I get to listen to Felger a lot (live in NH), he always makes a big deal about stats when they fit his theories, but in this case his best evidence, which he repeats ad nauseum how Mikey Ribs faked an injury 7 years ago. It’s such weak sauce. Then he acts like the Bruins never play chippy or cheap and a Bruin would never dive.

6. zaq007 says:

Can’t beleive I couldn’t piece tha together myself!!

7. SmartDog says:

I want MY baby back!!!

…whatever.  I can’t watch her anymore.

8. andrewberkshire says:

I dunno if Jolie can’t act, but she sure has mailed in the last decade or so. Aside from ‘A Mighty Heart’.

9. bozzo says:

ST. LOUIS BLUES: Activated G Jaroslav Halak from injured reserve. Assigned G Ben Bishop to Peoria (American Hockey League).

Nice to see Halak Vs Price!

10. mrhabby says:

she has nice lips.

11. Hobie Hansen says:

Thank Goodness Cammalleri is in the lineup tonight!

The key, in my opinion, to winning tonight’s game is all of our offensive weapons bringing their “A” game.

We need Plekanec taking his fair share of shots and dropping some passes back to Cammalleri to hammer it home!

We need Gomez and Ginota buzzing around Boston’s net and big Max Pacioretty slamming in rebounds or another beauty one-timer!

We need PK gobbling up rebounds and going end to end and we could use a few bombs from the point by the Wiz on the PP.

We’re not going to win the game by fighting with Lucic or Chara but it would be nice to be up 5-1 by the mid third and to see Moen land an uppercut on Thornton’s chin and send him to dressing room!

12. Bugs says:

So does Joan Rivers.

13. Jordio-oh says:

Can’t act? Can’t act you say?

I hear they give out academy awards and academy award nominations to people like that……

In that case, Meryl Streep is a terrible actress. Hilary Swank? who’s she….

14. mrhabby says:

lol, lol.

15. HugeHabsFan says:

Wow!  That’s an insane amount of money your wife has raised!!  Congrats to her for her hard work and dedication.  I’ve done a lot of fundraising for cancer (Relay for Life among them) but cannot say I’ve ever raised that much.  Very exciting stuff!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

Cammalleri: “I almost feel bad for a guy who plays an NHL career without experiencing what it’s like to be a Montreal Canadien”.

16. HugeHabsFan says:

Very entertaining to say the least! lol

You were killin’ ‘em with common sense Bugs!

………..

“Thank you Cammy for making my day even more amazing!”

I STILL BELIEVE. I WILL ALWAYS BELIEVE.

17. Say Ash says:

“TT is playing great for us but you gotta admit Price is playing awesome for the Habs, especially with Markov and Gorges gone for the year. How would our goalies do without Chara, let alone some of our other D?”

This must have been one of you. I can’t imagine a Bruins fan being this rational.

18. geo_habsgo says:

Habs you are a god. Fighting the good fight. I find it funny how quick they are to insult us over there. You give them a rational argument and they reply by cussing you out. Oh well. Thats why we will just continue to do what we do in Montreal.

Winning!

19. shiram says:

Halle Berry won an academy award for best actress…

20. sholi2000.com says:

I was hoping to see Bishop vs Price, oh well maybe next year.

They Call Me Shane

21. Jordio-oh says:

And she deserved it for the role she was in. Who really wants to get naked with Billy Bob Thornton, besides Angelina Jolie. Full circle!

I will say her category was weak that year though. Zellweger for Bridget Jone’s Diary and Kidman for Moulin Rouge.

Gross.

22. shiram says:

Bad actress can win it all, is the point. They should have taken that award back after Catwoman.

23. Bugs says:

Well, I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t a dab of smarm in there a bit…

24. Bugs says:

Marisa Tomei won an Oscar. She beat out Joan Plowright. Ok? Joan Plowright. That’s when I got out. Oscars don’t mean nuthin to me unless it’s for set or costume design…or key grips…whatever the hell those are.

25. Jordio-oh says:

My point was that you can’t say someone “can’t act” if they’ve won one of actings greatest achievements. Sure Halle Berry has done some bad roles, and Jolie definitely has, but they’re not terrible enough actresses to suggest they can’t act. Most times they’re at the mercy of the script or director or producer and so forth. I don’t think Hepburn could have made Catwoman work the way they produced it.

Besides, it wasn’t a very serious point anyway. Just trying to keep Bugs honest while simultaneously entertaining myself with a little sarcasm.

Way to get serious and ruin it. gaaaaaahhh.

26. Chuck says:

I guess that We’ll be ‘graced’ with Everlasting’s presence soon.

27. adamkennelly says:

guess I’m going to STL…4 hour drive, tix for me and the woman, hotel, din. here’s hoping for a great game tonight and some momentum into their game vs. the Blues….

28. shiram says:

Oh so sorry about that, I’d make fart jokes to smooth out the serious mood, but they do not work so well on the net.

Berry was great in Flintstones and Swordfish thats for sure, great acting talent there… yup. I guess she was ok in X-men as well.

29. Clutch10 says:

no neck little bastard

30. HalifaxHabs says:

lol, you can’t even really ”wonder” about that one because it’s beyond comprehension, and an impossible question to answer…

but seriously, what picks would the Pens get for trading Crosby?

see what I mean?

31. Mark C says:

The Sport Hub 98.5

Tony is pretty much schooling them.

Tony noted how wrong Marchand was with his first punch comment.

32. SmartDog says:

Wow.

Breaking new ground in assholedom.

33. otter649 says:

Listened to the interview in the station audio vault so after TM hung up – One of the hosts said nothing like a transplanted Italian in Montreal with Tony doing a good job trying to keep the discussion balanced………

34. scrowe21 says:

I wonder if he can use his straight right as a weapon tonight and punch out Krecji again.

35. JD_ says:

Ok, I’m pretty good at these: Both Richards and Marchand are lefties, while Soobs shoots right?

36. Bugs says:

It’s not just about the voting, folks; it’s also about (mmph!) sharing your (snort) opinions in the comments section…mwooa-ha-haaa!

They love us for it. They really, really love us.

37. observer says:

PK reminds Bruins fans of a young Bobby Orr and they hate the fact he’ll be playing against them for another 10 to 15 years for Montreal.

38. observer says:

Of the last 8 meetings – Habs won 6 games, Bruins won a measly 2.

Feb 9 2011 L 8-6
    Jan 8 2011 W 3-2
    Dec 16 2010 W 4-3
    Nov 11 2010 W 3-1
    Mar 13 2010 W 3-2
    Mar 2 2010 W 4-1
    Feb 7 2010 L 3-0
    Feb 4 2010 W 3-2

39. Hobie Hansen says:

Hey Bugs, we finally agree on something! I’ve been voting for Price and making some comments over there! I’ve dummied it down a bit to be on the same page as a Bostonian though!

40. G-Man says:

Newsflash! This team goes as far as Gomez, Gionta and MaxPac takes them. You can not like his contract all you want, but when the playoffs start, he will be among the leaders (barring injury).

Your hatred of all things Gomez makes me think your handle should be changed to Not-Quite-So-Smart-Dog.

41. HabFanSince72 says:

Barcelona are so much better than Arsenal. It will be a shame if they don’t go through.

42. andrewberkshire says:

That must have been on the recent road trip. Cogliano sure is a tough hombre…

43. LA Loyalist says:

Remember that Saku raised money for a cancer machine (not sure what) while here in Montreal.

It’s an honorable thing, he wasn’t bugging any one for donations.

That said, I don’t know why he couldn’t see the 3rd period at least. How long does it take to shave your head?

44. HalifaxHabs says:

LOL Hudson, way to break it down for him!!!

Good on you and your wife.

45. andrewberkshire says:

You mean he isn’t honourable enough.

46. S_Dot says:

Counting down the hours til game time…I think the lineup tonight is just what we were asking for, Mara and White will slot in and add a little size and grit…

Is there a better rivalry in hockey? Nothing compares to a Habs-Bruins gameday…

47. JIMVINNY says:

Marchand may be a moron, but I don’t think even he is stupid enough to talk smack like that and then get into a fight with PK.

48. SmartDog says:

Your post is pretty much a lie.  Look at the numbers.

Playing with Pleks almost everyone has solid numbers over time – and MUCH higher than with Gomez.   Kostitsyn, Gionta, Cammalleri.   There are off games sure but the trend is strong and Gomez (as Basu put it) has this year been a black hole of offensive production.   Maybe he’ll do better in the playoffs, but even he would admit it’s been a bad season, and almost has in interviews.. why can’t you?

49. HalifaxHabs says:

6 hours until puck drop

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

50. Max_a_million says:

Which One?

Tony will handle himself better against aggressive opposition than Hickey and Boone.  That plays more into his style.

51. Mark C says:

He’s a joke, no wonder ALL the Bruins fans LOVE him. Marchand hasn’t had more than one fight in a season going back to his Q years. He has no right to talk. He’s worse than Mad-Max, at least he would fight more than once a year.

52. VancouverHab says:

That’s the mob wisdom here, but I think (obviously) that it’s backwards.

Gomez couldn’t “generate points” for whom else? AK, Pouliot & Moen. Well Pleks didn’t “generate points” with them either. (Substitute Halperin for Moen in Pleks’ case.)

All the geniuses & Gomophobes here aren’t wondering why AK is on the 3rd line & Pouliot is on the 4th, rather than with Pleks on the first? If Pleks would “generate points” with either of them, JM would have them there. Duh.

So why does Gomez get busted for not “generating points” with the same players that Pleks gets a pass for not “generating points” with? Hmm?

53. Hobie Hansen says:

Damn, wish i had my headphones with me at work today!

54. VancouverHab says:

….or a cell at Arkham Asylum.

55. rocketsglare says:

Who cares if she can’t act. As long as she looks good on screen.

56. Kamal Panesar says:

White and Mara are both in the lineup tonight…no real surprise there. It will be interesting to see how the Canadiens respond since they didn’t have White, Mara or Sopel in the lineup the last time they played the B’s.

Kamal writes on HabsAddict.com & Hockeybuzz. Follow on Facebook & Twitter.

57. JIMVINNY says:

The two of them together?  If Phil Kessel is worth 2 firsts and 1 second, then those two are probably worth 3-4 firsts, EACH.  To make that trade would be insanity, however, unless those two were the only players left on the team.

58. HalifaxHabs says:

5 hours til puck drop

ding ding ding

59. HUDSONHAB says:

My wife is shaving her head tonight at 7:35 pm tonight. Raising money for our local hospital memography fund. She raised over 10 G’s and a wealthy businesman is going to match it. Needless to say I’m going to miss the game. Thank you Mr PVR, I hope the game is worth watching once all is said and done.

….Hab4life….

60. SmartDog says:

Good on ya!

I strongly suggest you develop the hots for bald women – or at least for women who have their hearts in the right place!

And of course, you can always congratulate her with some wigs for the boudoir!  What do you want tonight – blond, brunette, redhead??

61. andrewberkshire says:

Marchand has had a bad reputation his entire career. He was nearly kicked off the WJC team half way through the tournament one year.

Hilarious that Marchand talks about Subban being lucky refs are around when he’s hiding behind Lucic and Chara and peering through their legs.

62. HUDSONHAB says:

I have a friend who is a Bruin fan and he tries to tell me that he would rather be good every year and compete for the cup rather than win it once and then not have a good team for long stretches.

Do I believe him? Do you?

….Hab4life….

63. G-Man says:

Stop talking sense; you’re wasting you’re time.

The only reason for the negative chatter about P.K. is because he is a very difficult player to play against. And he can make a vet. player look pretty ordinary. They don’t like it and Subban is not afraid to talk back to them, he is that good and getting better every day.

I have watched him play at least 300 games. Every since he was a 16 year old walk on to his OHL junior team. He has played the same way every night. When you talk to him he is the most respectful, intelligent and classy kid that I have come to know in the game. He stands up for himself and is the perfect team mate.

65. Dwayne33 says: