Game 65: Canadiens send snowbirds home happy

Panthers goaltender Tomas Vokoun is beaten by a shot from Canadiens’ Andrei Kostitsyn in the first period on Thursday night. Hans Deryk, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: The Canadiens played before thousands of their fans in Florida on Thursday night and send them out into the warm night happy with a 4-0 win over the Panthers. The Canadiens got their first goal from an unlikely source when Hal Gill scored his first of the season with a point shot that eluded a screened Tomas Vokoun at 5:02. Andrei Kostitsyn, who has been playing well since being placed on a line with Lars Eller and Travis Moen, scored with a rocket of a shot at 8:54 that Vokoun had no chance on. It was Montreal’s second goal on only three shots and ended Vokoun’s night, replaced by Scott Clemmensen. Davis Desharnais made it 3-0 4:59 into the second period when his weak shot went off Clemmensen and dribbled over the goal line.Eller scored his fifth goal of the season 3:21 into the third period when he redirected a Moen pass over Clemmensen’s shoulder. Canadiens goaltender Carey Price made 30saves for his 30th win of the season and seventh shuout.

• What It Means: Montreal has won three straight games and improves to 34-23-7 for 77 points for sixth place in the Eastern Conference, six points ahead of the Hurricanes, who moved into seventh place on Thursday night. Montreal trails the Capitals by three points for fifth place.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play the Lightning in Tampa Bay on Saturday before returning home to play the Bruins on Tuesday night. They then hit the road again for games in St. Louis and Pittsburgh next Thursday and Saturday, respectively.

1. Nahlsy says:

#5 is the Leafs because there’s no way they’ll make it to the playoffs to give the Habs the chance to beat them. (or any team in the Western Conference since they can’t play any of those teams in round one)

2. Bugs says:

There once was a head coach called Jack

In Sunshine, he said coming back

“You could half be on drugs

And still beat these slugs.”

Then proceeded to distribute some crack.

3. GrimJim says:

Okay, benefit of the doubt time.

4. jimmy shaker says:

1) 2 yrs @ a pay cut to about 2.25 mill/per
    2) Hasn’t impressed me yet, but know what he’s capable of…don’t think he’ll be back next year though.
    3)AS much as i dislike JM as the coach, he has done a good job. PG has peformed quite well too. Didn’t read the read.
    4)Moen because of his experience I guess, and because when Darche comes back, both pyatt and white will be scratch’s
    5)Philly, too balanced and too deep to keep up over a potential 7 game series.

Shaker

5. HabFanSince72 says:

9-7-2 for 95 points.

6. Jonson says:

1. for sure he gets one more year, if its not productive then they will let him walk or trade before the deadline

2. no way not even close.

3. i think PG is doing okay, as for JM he has been  a lot better lately. he is letting some of the youngs guy    play right now.  i wish he would give benny and eller more than 9-10 mins a game.

4. Moen by far

5.prob philly, as much as i hate to say it

7. observer says:

Ony teams Habs definately cannot beat are the Penguins and the Capitals of last year.

8. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Possible, but not likely. Not exactly sure how we lost our early-season form. Markov got injured but he wasn’t even playing for very long and wasn’t carrying the team… if they find that ‘rhythm’ again, it could be done.

9. kingstonhabfan says:

It seems crazy to think this team could ever reach 100 points!!  I can’t figure out how we do it when we complain that virtually every forward is underachieving.  Is it really all Price, PK, and Pleks, and Patch. We might as well thow Pouliot in there too!

10. jimmy shaker says:

18 games left…….can the boys go 12W’s 4L’s and 2 OT/shootout L’s over that span for a grand total of 101pts.  What’s your projected outlook?

Shaker

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Actually PK surpassed 100 a while ago, rookies aren’t allowed to throw checks so his 92 hits this season means he’s closing in on the 200 acts of disrespect mark.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. Jocko says:

JSP, see above for my comments.  Made an error in posting.  i suspect everybody on this site are looking at them and wondering if this Salt Water Cowboy being me, of course) has lost it??!!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

13. GrimJim says:

My fav is “Metallurg Magnitogorsk” although “Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod” is good too

14. JD_ says:

Every so often, you hit one out of the park, PK Sterban.

15. HabFanSince72 says:

Or the new line: his growing up in Kenya (he didn’t but never mind) made him hate the British colonialists.

Just like the Founding Fathers then?

16. lefreak says:

i’m sure it had nothing to do with the previous 8 years of a boneheaded administration like at all.

#sarcasm

17. TomNickle says:

Do you know if the waiver rule would apply if the team were to sign Yemelin to an EL deal at the conclusion of the KHL playoffs?

18. Storm Man says:

Maybe Obama wants a little face time.

19. andrewberkshire says:

I would rather Dawes in over Pyatt any day of the week. However I’d rather White in over both of them most likely.

20. Rudy says:

I wondered that as well.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

21. Storm Man says:

I would like to see him play a few games at the end of the year before giving him a key to the locker room just yet.

22. andrewberkshire says:

Dawes needs to go through waivers, I doubt he’ll be called up until the playoffs.

23. arcosenate says:

If we had decent goaltending that night we would have won that game. Fights notwithstanding. I think we’ll beat them on the scoreboard March 8th. Let them goon it up.

24. BJ says:

Just went to see how Dawes is doing in Hamilton (its probably been mentioned) he scored 3 goals last night + 1 assist. Would anyone to see what he could do on our third line with DD, Pouiiot?

25. Bugs says:

You mean like the last one when buddy dived into the boards? The penalty they didn’t score on? In the game where Carey shot it into the stands and DID get scored on? In the game where Gionta got what, THREE penalties (none of’em selfish of course)?

You don’t want Poolio to get a penalty like that? A penalty where he was showing his mean side afore we were knockin’m for not? No penalty like that?

Well, I hope not or else he’ll get benched…

26. Rudy says:

Isn’t there a restriction on the number of call ups though? I seem to remember waiting to call PK up until they were really desperate last year because they only had one more call up allowed. I think it’s 4.

27. DrewCareyPriceIsRight says:

* Warning: The following post is a little long winded and relates more to what I read re: Arpon Basu’s article. *

Most who criticize Martin and his system believe that the Habs are capable of of outskating and outgunning the opposition. I am not so sure, especially without defencemen that can move the puck with ease like a Markov. It takes more than small, skilled forwards to be a team that rushes the opposition. It has to be a 5-man unit rushing the opposition otherwise you are always 3 forwards against 5 defenders…easily a losing formula.

Outside of PK and Wiz we do not have puck moving defensemen so Martin cannot unleash the reigns. If the Habs were to play a play free wheelin’ style, likely all that would happen will be a barrage of odd man rushes against Price. No matter how good he is, you cannot leave a goalie do it all at the NHL level. I would think that even the most talentless teams can score on odd man rushes 50% of the time. Besides, today’s NHL is chock full of skilled, speedy teams yet not all of them are comfortably in the playoff picture. Martin must be doing something right, no?

I fully agree with Arpon Basu’s assessment in his recent post…you play to your only real asset (Price) and try to protect it as best you can by eliminating odd man rushes and clearing his line of vision and any lingering rebounds.

28. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Is there anything in particular you want me to yell at PooPoo tonight if he takes a stupid penalty in the O-Zone?

29. JD_ says:

“It’s difficult to play under those circumstances.” – newly-minted Hab, Brent Sopel, on his experience playin’ for the Thrashers in an effectively empty Philips Arena.

* I’m tellin’ you, there’s somethin’ to the idea the Habs’ game suffers when they go from playin’ in the over-the-top confines of the Bell Centre to the br00tal snoozefest that is the Philips Arena, home to the Atlanta Thrashers. Watchin’ the game on RDS the other night, I’m noticin’ how clearly the sound of the skatin’ and stickwork is comin’ through, and I can hear all the on-ice barkin’. It’s almost like I’m there, man. At one point, my son turns to me and says it sounds like a game bein’ played at the local arena. Accordin’ to Hickey’s piece, Tuesday night was so bad, “RDS play-by-play announcer Pierre Houde had trouble generating any enthusiasm for the game. He asked the sound engineer on the telecast if he could pump up the volume on the crowd noise, but there was nothing to pump up.” Ya can’t put a hearin’ aid on a deaf man, baby.

* Pathetic. “We’re gonna have a cow, and some pigs, and we’re gonna have, maybe-maybe, a chicken. Down in the flat, we’ll have a little field of…field of alfalfa for the rabbits…for the rabbits…and I get to tend the rab…” *click* You know the rest.

* Pleks on the point with Newsy for the first PP wave, and Poindexter Bentley with Romeo on the second. Can’t hurt given how Pleks’ speed can cover for any breakouts, although I’m presumin’ he’s not back there for his cannonadin’ drive but, rather, his playmakin’. The other team’s PK is gonna have to decide whether or not it wants to collapse around Newsy’s shot or take time and space away from Pleks. Is there anythin’ Tomas Jagr can’t do?

* Whazzat? There’s yellin’ ‘n’ intensity at an NHL practice? This just in from news4n00bs™.

* The Habs will make Marky an offer. I’m hopin’ – emphasis on the notion of hope – term in exchange for cap relief. Best case, he rehabilitates. Medium case, he becomes a goin’ concern for the Molson consortium’s insurer. Worst case, he walks – limps? – and is reborn elsewhere.

30. Bugs says:

I think, properly moulded, Poolio could be a 1st line ctr. I truly believe that. Kid’s got skills. …Has faults though too. Ex: for a guy skates so fast and covers so much ground, why is his forecheck not more efficient? He covers, he covers, he closes in, aaaaand he never traps someone and rips the puck away. Ever. Weird, no?

And Dezzy, well, in my experience, the little guy ALWAYS has more will. The will to prove that not only is he JUST as good as anybody else, but he’s funkin BETTER. Cuz that shuts everybody up. I see Dezzy has that will. Not even a concern for him really; you can just see it in his face.

31. kempie says:

Quick question: Now that the trade deadline has passed, do players still have to pass through waivers to go back & forth to the AHL? I ask because this may affect the movement of players like Dawes, Boyd, Pyatt etc.

32. savethepuck says:

Top 10 may be a stretch but I read an article on him posted here from the Hockey News a few weeks ago comparing him to St Louis and how small players take longer to mature because they take longer to get their shot in the top lines because of their size. Marty”s break out year was when he was 27( maybe 26 I forget)

33. habs03 says:

Yup 4, until your AHL team is no longer in the playoffs and you can call everyone up!

34. TomNickle says:

I believe PK was used as an emergency call up due to the injury to Spacek.

35. savethepuck says:

Benny’s a former top 5 draft pick. That’s not an underdog.

36. mbplekfan says:

PK doesnt need hockey mentoring. He is getting life mentoring from Gill. It helps to have an older friend on the ice with you to keep you calm and feel safe. It helps to have a veteran presence to learn about pro hockey from.

I dont think Markov’s personality lends itself to mentoring. Certainly not to a personality like PK.

Markov’s presence may go a long way to luring Emelin to come over and play as Markov is a national hero in Russia.

37. Bugs says:

The only comparison to draw with St-Louie is the fact they both wear the same size pants.

One’s a ctr; one’s a winger. Compare the kid to friggin Savard and thrill me. Nevermind the 5’7″ angle. Seems narrow-minded in my opinion.

38. TomNickle says:

I don’t believe you can, there is an NHL roster limit.  If your NHL team is eliminated from the playoffs and your AHL team is still going I believe you can send down any player on a two way deal but not the other way around.

39. Bugs says:

For the last time, Gomez is staying!

Sheesh, people, let it go.

40. Storm Man says:

Was BB not on TSN with his thong in a bunch about having only 4 players called up from the AHL for the rest of the year,

41. TomNickle says:

I don’t know but I’m pretty sure that when you’re AHL team is done you can’t call up 20 guys.  I’m pretty sure that you have a roster limit, I believe it’s 23.

42. andrewberkshire says:

Roster limit is either expanded or doesn’t exist in the playoffs. A couple years ago Detroit was carrying about 26 guys.

43. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Nevermind tonight, or Saturday… this is what should be of concern to us:

FROM BRUINS FAN:

“But what was beautiful was seeing your habs get pounded on live television. Yes when i saw pyatt, hamrlik, and spacek get there faces disfigured i laughed so hard. It was magnificent.

What are we going to do to counter the masacre on March 8th? has Henry been mobilized? what about Conboy? has he been recalled… we better be ready.

1:The N.A.G.S. (North American Grit Speed) Youth Movement will bring us respect. 2: 02/09/11 never forget the masacre 3. ..call up WHITE/SHULTZ/HENRY/PAX now.

44. TomNickle says:

I just read that it’s 23 up until the deadline.  Maybe it is gone.  I find it much more likely that for every player on IR beyond your 23 man roster you would be able to add one player.

I know that when Wilkes-Barre Scranton got eliminated a couple of years ago that the Pens called up Tangradi, Jeffrey, Conner and a couple of others, but it’s entirely possible that they were only carrying 20 at the time with one or two on IR already.

45. Sportfan says:

Either way if it is a limkit of 4 does that mean we wasted one with sending down and calling Ryan White up within 2 hours??

46. blu3chip says:

You call it a massacre; I call it a goon show.

Their goal is to win a fight; our goal is to win the cup.

They laugh when they win a fist fight; we laugh when they lose a 3-0 series in a dramatic fashion.

47. aemarchand11 says:

How about we just continue our short term dominance on the scoresheet.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

48. G-Man says:

Nothing of the goon vaariety will happen March 8. The NHL and its refs will warn both benches before the game starts. I expect a quiet affair.
    Your hyperbole notwithstanding, it will be a regular hockey game.

49. lenny says:

the NHL should be ashamed for letting this happen, watching this franchise is like watching an an animal suffer…hope they are put out of their misery soon

50. G-Man says:

Emelin is all about the bucks. He won’t come over unless he’s making too much cash. He’s playing in a 2nd rate league right now. Is he a good Dman? Who the hell knows, because he has been playing against inferior competition for years.

51. OneTimer says:

Nice post, dog. Re: the first part – the Habs part – and how Carey/the team’s stats are good despite lower-than-average defense. Man…I dream about what a dominant, healthy defensive corps we could have next year. Knock on wood.

52. andrewberkshire says:

Oh well, whatever the case I’m guessing Dawes at least has a good chance of being called up in the playoffs.

53. HalifaxHabs says:

I have bad news for you… the Habs won’t look to get even with Boston by fighting. We’ll be sticking to our game plan that has us up 3-1 in the season series.

Don’t get me wrong, I would pay my hard earned money to see Lucic unconscious and bleeding on the ice… but we’re going to have to settle for beating them on the scoreboard, and just being a far superior organization over time.

54. TripleX says:

Would the team really be worse off sending Pyatt down and trying Dawes with DD and Pouliot?

Pyatt is 5’11′” and 175.  Dawes is 5’9″ and 200.  Pyatt is riding the press box anyway.