Game 65: Canadiens send snowbirds home happy

Panthers goaltender Tomas Vokoun is beaten by a shot from Canadiens’ Andrei Kostitsyn in the first period on Thursday night. Hans Deryk, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: The Canadiens played before thousands of their fans in Florida on Thursday night and send them out into the warm night happy with a 4-0 win over the Panthers. The Canadiens got their first goal from an unlikely source when Hal Gill scored his first of the season with a point shot that eluded a screened Tomas Vokoun at 5:02. Andrei Kostitsyn, who has been playing well since being placed on a line with Lars Eller and Travis Moen, scored with a rocket of a shot at 8:54 that Vokoun had no chance on. It was Montreal’s second goal on only three shots and ended Vokoun’s night, replaced by Scott Clemmensen. Davis Desharnais made it 3-0 4:59 into the second period when his weak shot went off Clemmensen and dribbled over the goal line.Eller scored his fifth goal of the season 3:21 into the third period when he redirected a Moen pass over Clemmensen’s shoulder. Canadiens goaltender Carey Price made 30saves for his 30th win of the season and seventh shuout.

• What It Means: Montreal has won three straight games and improves to 34-23-7 for 77 points for sixth place in the Eastern Conference, six points ahead of the Hurricanes, who moved into seventh place on Thursday night. Montreal trails the Capitals by three points for fifth place.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play the Lightning in Tampa Bay on Saturday before returning home to play the Bruins on Tuesday night. They then hit the road again for games in St. Louis and Pittsburgh next Thursday and Saturday, respectively.

1. SeriousFan09 says:

Due to Trade Deadline coverage, Habs Future was not put up until Tuesday, scan down to the bottom of the main section and it should be close to the end of the page.

Or copy + paste this http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/46792

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

2. LA Loyalist says:

Gille Guile? He’s terrific, been lighting up the Q. Don’t know why we didn’t bring him up sooner. 6′ 1″, 210, fast, strong, soft hands, wins 60% of his face-offs…

didn’t want to upset Gomer, maybe?

3. Bugs says:

There once was a head coach called Jack

In Sunshine, he said coming back

“You could half be on drugs

And still beat these slugs.”

Then proceeded to distribute some crack.

4. Hobie Hansen says:

Exactly! We can bitch and moan leading up to the deadline but after that it’s Go Habs Go!

However, we better get tougher at the draft lol!!! GO HABS GO!!!

5. Bugs says:

Guile?

You mean the spiky-haired blond marine in Street Fighter?

Is this where we’re at now?

6. GrimJim says:

Okay, benefit of the doubt time.

7. Wayne says:

My french isn’t that great so I scrolled down to the video. I have to say, it choked me up. The stat of 55 college boys dying since ’95, took me by surprise. That’s 10+ a year for the last 6 years. More to the point though, hockey is a different contact sport than football but as dangerous nonetheless considering blindside hits. Educating players at all levels of this sport should center its philosophy on the idea that any premeditated contact which can potentially affect anything above the shoulders before, during and after contact be examined and corrected. If that means a tamer contact sport, so be it.

8. jimmy shaker says:

1) 2 yrs @ a pay cut to about 2.25 mill/per
    2) Hasn’t impressed me yet, but know what he’s capable of…don’t think he’ll be back next year though.
    3)AS much as i dislike JM as the coach, he has done a good job. PG has peformed quite well too. Didn’t read the read.
    4)Moen because of his experience I guess, and because when Darche comes back, both pyatt and white will be scratch’s
    5)Philly, too balanced and too deep to keep up over a potential 7 game series.

Shaker

9. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree completely.

That being said I think what the Habs should’ve done is scour North America for a few psychopaths who can skate, maybe look for people recently released from prison,  borderline schizophrenic survivalist types who live in bunkers in Montana,   or guys who were  kicked out of their biker gang for being too rowdy, and sign them for one game and let them loose on the Broons, making sure they know that on-ice crimes and  misdemeanors are almost never prosecuted in a court of law, but that you will get them the best lawyers money can buy if this should happen which it won’t in any case.

10. HabFanSince72 says:

9-7-2 for 95 points.

11. Danno says:

I totally agree. But we have to spot them a three-goal lead first just to make it even sweeter.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

12. Jonson says:

1. for sure he gets one more year, if its not productive then they will let him walk or trade before the deadline

2. no way not even close.

3. i think PG is doing okay, as for JM he has been  a lot better lately. he is letting some of the youngs guy    play right now.  i wish he would give benny and eller more than 9-10 mins a game.

4. Moen by far

5.prob philly, as much as i hate to say it

13. JD_ says:

Full on cunnin’, baby!

14. observer says:

Ony teams Habs definately cannot beat are the Penguins and the Capitals of last year.

15. Danno says:

Guile

Pronunciation:/gʌɪl/

noun

[mass noun] sly or cunning intelligence: He used all his guile and guts to free himself from the muddle he was in

Athletique Canadien is spot on about guile. We are going to destroy everything in our path with it. Including the Broons

DAMN THE TORPEDOS AND TURN ON THE FRIGGIN GUILE — FULL BLAST!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

16. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Possible, but not likely. Not exactly sure how we lost our early-season form. Markov got injured but he wasn’t even playing for very long and wasn’t carrying the team… if they find that ‘rhythm’ again, it could be done.

17. kingstonhabfan says:

It seems crazy to think this team could ever reach 100 points!!  I can’t figure out how we do it when we complain that virtually every forward is underachieving.  Is it really all Price, PK, and Pleks, and Patch. We might as well thow Pouliot in there too!

18. LA Loyalist says:

Ian you are a gentleman and thus ‘hors de combat’ on this issue.

My biggest concern is that we let anyone near Price. I still can’t get that out of my head and it had best not happen again.

19. jimmy shaker says:

18 games left…….can the boys go 12W’s 4L’s and 2 OT/shootout L’s over that span for a grand total of 101pts.  What’s your projected outlook?

Shaker

20. SeriousFan09 says:

Actually PK surpassed 100 a while ago, rookies aren’t allowed to throw checks so his 92 hits this season means he’s closing in on the 200 acts of disrespect mark.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

21. The Teacher says:

I’d prefer Chun-Li myself ;)

22. LA Loyalist says:

Serious please find us a shot of their jersey. Have you ever heard a better team name than “Severstal Cherepovets”?

Not that Avangard Omsk is bad, either…

I thought Saskatoon, Salmon Arm or Rimouski were pretty good.

23. Jocko says:

JSP, see above for my comments.  Made an error in posting.  i suspect everybody on this site are looking at them and wondering if this Salt Water Cowboy being me, of course) has lost it??!!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

24. SeriousFan09 says:

Upcoming Milestones:

10 wins in the Habs remaining 18 games would have JM in the 600 wins club for NHL Head Coachs.

Roman Hamrlik is 7 games away from 1300 career NHL games.

Brian Gionta is 2 games away from 600 career, 8 points away from 400 career points.

Carey Price can have his first 30-win season in the NHL tonight with a W.

Mike Cammalleri’s next assist will have him at 200 career helpers.

Jeff Halpern is 2 assists away from the same mark as Cammalleri and if Halpern finishes the season out, he’ll have played 800 career NHL games.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

25. GrimJim says:

My fav is “Metallurg Magnitogorsk” although “Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod” is good too

26. shiram says:

Might as well ring up the Hanson brothers, and ask what they are up to!

27. JD_ says:

Every so often, you hit one out of the park, PK Sterban.

28. LA Loyalist says:

I hear the Go trains are pretty screwed up. Is that so? Too bad, lots of people used to do that, great way to avoid the weather.

29. punkster says:

This I like. Welcome friend.

***Subbang!!!***

30. HabFanSince72 says:

Or the new line: his growing up in Kenya (he didn’t but never mind) made him hate the British colonialists.

Just like the Founding Fathers then?

31. SeriousFan09 says:

Here’s their team picture http://www.khl.ru/upload/images/severstal_2010.jpg

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

32. punkster says:

Massacre?

***Subbang!!!***

33. lefreak says:

i’m sure it had nothing to do with the previous 8 years of a boneheaded administration like at all.

#sarcasm

Wayne.

I have translate on my computer, but in any language, I think everyone gets the picture now.! And it must end, this is criminal.!!!!!

35. TomNickle says:

Do you know if the waiver rule would apply if the team were to sign Yemelin to an EL deal at the conclusion of the KHL playoffs?

36. SeriousFan09 says:

Public transport isn’t exactly convenient for getting to an Intermodal train yard unfortunately.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

37. Mike D says:

1.  I think he will.  He has to be qualified at something like 3.6mil for next year so unless we get offered a really good trade for him, I say it’s almost a guarantee we re-sign him.

2.  Decent enough.  He’s no Gorges IMO, but considering we got him for next-to-nothing I thought PG did well to plug the hole left by JG’s absence.  Doubt he will be re-signed this summer but our D situation next year is a whole other story.

3.  I read the article and yes I agee for the most part.

4.  Neither are irreplaceable but Moen is more important than Pyatt cuz of his size and willingness to drop the gloves once in a while.  JM just has to stop putting him in the top 6 cuz he clearly doesn’t belong there.

5.  Anything can happen in the playoffs, but Philly would be our toughest challenge.

- Honestly yours

38. Storm Man says:

Maybe Obama wants a little face time.

39. Kain292 says:

Thanks for the numbers man. Tip of the hat to all the Habs who are on the threshold of major career milestones.

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

40. andrewberkshire says:

I would rather Dawes in over Pyatt any day of the week. However I’d rather White in over both of them most likely.

41. Kain292 says:

Well hot dog. We’re all lively now. GO GUILE GO!

Being a Habs fan is a way of life, and a great one at that.

42. Mike D says:

My guess is to give him some time in the rotation and make sure the rust and cobwebs don’t set in.  Florida is a pretty weak team (especially after their selling spree at the deadline) so it was a good opportunity to get him in the lineup for the first time in a while without jeopardizing the team’s chances for 2 points.

I thought he played well.

- Honestly yours

43. JohnBellyful says:

Seeing as you’re talking about millstones, how could you forget..milestones? Not millstones? Oh. Sorry.

44. andrewberkshire says:

Why is Picard in the lineup tonight?

45. GrimJim says:

The Orlov thing is interesting, maybe because he’s an EL player sec 13 doesn’t apply. Or maybe Orlov’s not considered a “professional” player because he started the year (I assume) with his junior club. As to why Yemelin would want to, as a 24 year old european he only has to sign a 1-year EL contract, so if he signs a one-year for this year, he becomes an RFA on July 1 and escapes the limit on EL salaries and the EL contract’s mandatory two-way deal clause, all without losing any money because the KHL has already paid him for this season.

46. punkster says:

Someone has to be on the bench to say “Engage!” for The System to kick in.

***Subbang!!!***

47. Rudy says:

I wondered that as well.

“Start the season with a clean equipment bag and a freah bucket of febreze!”-CharlieHodgeFan

48. andrewberkshire says:

Right! I forgot Mara and Weber were mutes!

49. Storm Man says:

I would like to see him play a few games at the end of the year before giving him a key to the locker room just yet.

50. andrewberkshire says:

Dawes needs to go through waivers, I doubt he’ll be called up until the playoffs.

51. JohnBellyful says:

Adding the exclamation marks was a nice touch: Wile with gusto! — Guile

52. Danno says:

True. Martin cannot engage, he can only enrage…

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

53. arcosenate says:

If we had decent goaltending that night we would have won that game. Fights notwithstanding. I think we’ll beat them on the scoreboard March 8th. Let them goon it up.

54. Bugs says:

Gotta love Mike Bergy on CKAC.

“We’re a puck possession team that never has the puck!”

55. punkster says:

It’s a rare gift, JD. Law of averages really. I consider myself the DH of the Rose Coloured Glasses team.

***Subbang!!!***

56. BJ says:

Just went to see how Dawes is doing in Hamilton (its probably been mentioned) he scored 3 goals last night + 1 assist. Would anyone to see what he could do on our third line with DD, Pouiiot?

57. ClaytonM says:

bad news – Guile is facing a disciplinary hearing with the NHL, AC

58. Bugs says:

You mean like the last one when buddy dived into the boards? The penalty they didn’t score on? In the game where Carey shot it into the stands and DID get scored on? In the game where Gionta got what, THREE penalties (none of’em selfish of course)?

You don’t want Poolio to get a penalty like that? A penalty where he was showing his mean side afore we were knockin’m for not? No penalty like that?

Well, I hope not or else he’ll get benched…

59. Bugs says:

Oooo!

I’m bookin that one, Danno.

60. Rudy says:

Isn’t there a restriction on the number of call ups though? I seem to remember waiting to call PK up until they were really desperate last year because they only had one more call up allowed. I think it’s 4.

61. SeriousFan09 says:

Post of the day! Or as the Play by Play for the Panthers goes (And I’m NOT making this up) “Winner-winner Chicken Dinner!”

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

62. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

GO HABS GO!

63. Jocko says:

I read the comments and CM Punk made the most of his mic skills in dissing Merriman.  I read Merriman’s comebacks and they were WEAK!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

64. ClaytonM says:

dude, time to check the prescription on your glasses? That’s 2 replies to the wrong post or poster.

65. ClaytonM says:

Had a flashback to the scene in The Rocket when Clarence Campbell asks for someone who reads french to translate Maurice Richard’s article bashing the league.

I doubt Bettman, or anyone at NHL HQ, will make a similar request this time around.

66. DrewCareyPriceIsRight says:

* Warning: The following post is a little long winded and relates more to what I read re: Arpon Basu’s article. *

Most who criticize Martin and his system believe that the Habs are capable of of outskating and outgunning the opposition. I am not so sure, especially without defencemen that can move the puck with ease like a Markov. It takes more than small, skilled forwards to be a team that rushes the opposition. It has to be a 5-man unit rushing the opposition otherwise you are always 3 forwards against 5 defenders…easily a losing formula.

Outside of PK and Wiz we do not have puck moving defensemen so Martin cannot unleash the reigns. If the Habs were to play a play free wheelin’ style, likely all that would happen will be a barrage of odd man rushes against Price. No matter how good he is, you cannot leave a goalie do it all at the NHL level. I would think that even the most talentless teams can score on odd man rushes 50% of the time. Besides, today’s NHL is chock full of skilled, speedy teams yet not all of them are comfortably in the playoff picture. Martin must be doing something right, no?

I fully agree with Arpon Basu’s assessment in his recent post…you play to your only real asset (Price) and try to protect it as best you can by eliminating odd man rushes and clearing his line of vision and any lingering rebounds.

67. JD_ says:

Some lesser known Upcomin’ Milestones:

Poolio is just 3 more unprovoked wipeouts away from the 700th of his career.

Pleks is 10 underhanded faceoffs away from makin’ Rob Brind’Amour really envious.

PK can bring home his 100th act of disrespect towards the league and its institutions with 2 tonight.

JM is 15 disapprovin’ grimaces away from a career total of 5,000.

Cammy just needs to control his simmerin’ temper and avoid crackin’ someone’s skull open another 24 times and he will hit his 500th act of wafer-thin restraint in the NHL.

68. JD_ says:

I’d much rather love Sofia Vergara on COUCH.

Knowwuddamsayin’?

69. HalifaxHabs says:

watching fox news must be so awesome dude

70. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

haha, just like the Founding Fathers… classic. People are so dumb here in the US. Have neither the knowledge nor the common sense to draw this conclusion. As far as I know, everyone hated the British colonialists… ‘cept alot of you anglo-Canadians out there. Still don’t understand that… o well. Good point though.

71. Danno says:

Does Gill have the gall to go full guile?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

72. Danno says:

Benoit Brunet will utter his 1,000,000,000,000,000th “Oye, oye oye!” on RDS tonight.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

73. HabFanSince72 says:

The Anglo Canadians were  British Colonialists!

74. ClaytonM says:

Here’s hoping we go up by a healthy lead, say 4 or 5 goals, and still play our top PP line to run up the score on them. I love seeing julien on the verge of cardiac arrest.

75. LA Loyalist says:

You forgot that Gomez will turn away from the traffic in front of the opposing net for the 8,013th time, otherwise – brilliant!