Game 65: Canadiens send snowbirds home happy

Panthers goaltender Tomas Vokoun is beaten by a shot from Canadiens’ Andrei Kostitsyn in the first period on Thursday night. Hans Deryk, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

• At a Glance: The Canadiens played before thousands of their fans in Florida on Thursday night and send them out into the warm night happy with a 4-0 win over the Panthers. The Canadiens got their first goal from an unlikely source when Hal Gill scored his first of the season with a point shot that eluded a screened Tomas Vokoun at 5:02. Andrei Kostitsyn, who has been playing well since being placed on a line with Lars Eller and Travis Moen, scored with a rocket of a shot at 8:54 that Vokoun had no chance on. It was Montreal’s second goal on only three shots and ended Vokoun’s night, replaced by Scott Clemmensen. Davis Desharnais made it 3-0 4:59 into the second period when his weak shot went off Clemmensen and dribbled over the goal line.Eller scored his fifth goal of the season 3:21 into the third period when he redirected a Moen pass over Clemmensen’s shoulder. Canadiens goaltender Carey Price made 30saves for his 30th win of the season and seventh shuout.

• What It Means: Montreal has won three straight games and improves to 34-23-7 for 77 points for sixth place in the Eastern Conference, six points ahead of the Hurricanes, who moved into seventh place on Thursday night. Montreal trails the Capitals by three points for fifth place.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens play the Lightning in Tampa Bay on Saturday before returning home to play the Bruins on Tuesday night. They then hit the road again for games in St. Louis and Pittsburgh next Thursday and Saturday, respectively.

1. TomNickle says:

He wanted the Bears to win the NFC Championship too.  That one didn’t work out so well.

2. Jan_pronounced_Yan says:

Not sure about waiver rules come playoff time, but I do know that once the trade deadline has passed, you can carry more than 23, but you have to be salary cap compliant.

3. JSP1990 says:

Beautiful. All the things going on in the world and he’s worried about f’ing football.

Upcoming Shows: April 15: CHIKARA King of Trios

4. Bugs says:

His balance is questionable, that’s fersure, but he almost scored on that shot, also on the play leading up to that face-off, as well as springing Dezzy beautifully on a breakaway earlier…which led to a pp.

5. HabFanSince72 says:

In fairness, how many seconds of your life does it take to not want a lockout in pro football? It’s not like not wanting a lockout is going to stop you from doing anything.

For instance, I don’t want to slip on the ice as I leave work tonight. And although I really don;t want to slip on the ice, not wanting it isn’t preventing me from doing other stuff.

(Writing this on the other hand …)

6. LA Loyalist says:

They are actually going to show the Hamilton > Marlies game on Sunday afternoon here in Los Angeles on some sort of NHL highlights channel I get with my cable.

Am excited, but wondering what inspired it.

7. LA Loyalist says:

How is the NHL responsible for cousins’ marrying? I mean aside from explaining where Gary Bettman came from.

8. SeriousFan09 says:

The AHL has been doing this with the NHL network and CBC this season as a limited showcase of the farm teams of Canadian NHL clubs.

Player names and #s to watch: #4 Brendon Nash, #26 Alexander Avtsin, #28 Aaron Palushaj, #22 Andreas Engqvist, #40 Gabriel Dumont, #12 Andrew Conboy, #72 Mathieu Carle.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. JSP1990 says:

I get what ya mean. And that’s a fair assesment. I’m just not an Obama fan and with the little that he’s done and mounting problems here in the States, I’d watch what I get involved in. Might send the wrong message.

Upcoming Shows: April 15: CHIKARA King of Trios

10. Bob_Sacamano says:

2nd rate league? Who the hell knows? Maybe people who watch the KHL? It´s the second best league in the world and yes, Emelin is a good dman, he´s having a very good season and he was one of Russia´s best dman in the Olympics. He´s physical, a decent skater with some “new” offensive upside. I really rate him and think he would be a Top4 dman on our team within a couple of weeks.

11. habs-hampton says:

Why in the world would we want to play their style of game? Our game is a fast, puck-moving game. They don’t want to play that style, cause we will usually win it.

As long as we don’t try to “beat them in the alley” we will win the game, cause we’re the Habs!

12. Seps says:

1.  Yes if it’s for less than 3M and short term

2.  I don’t know one guy in the league who can replace Gorges, although Sopel is a solid player.

3.  Did not read the article, but agree considering for the majority of the season we’ve been playing without our top 2 D and look at our record and where we sit in the standings.  Gauthier has acquired great substitutes for our injured players although we still do need a first-line forward.  Martin has done what has needed to be done with the team he has.

4.  Neither.

5.  Philly for sure, I’m hoping Leafs make 8th, beat out Philly because I think we can beat any other team.

13. SeriousFan09 says:

Makes more sense to try and avoid a lockout that could potentially mess with the economy (The money involved is rather significant) than stick your nose into other countries business and create more of the same problems your country generated when they originally did try and stick their hands in to install the people they wanted in charge.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

14. Max_a_million says:

Being above the Bruins and Flyers and not participating in this kind of crap has always what has made the Canadiens great.  Winning on the scoreboard is what matters.  We have no chance of out gooning goon teams, it’s  trap that we would easily lose in all facets.  Not hockey.  I love the Canadiens precisley for not doing so!

15. Say Ash says:

A Sunday afternoon in LA and you’re gonna spend your time sitting inside watching minor-leaugue hockey?

16. joeybarrie says:

Maybe I am wrong but when the NFL is responsible for 20.4 billion dollars of domestic TV rights, 8 billion in league revenue, individual team revenue is about 70 billion for all 32 teams and the fact that his economy seems to be set for the big turnaround, I would say its something he should probably keep an eye on.

Especially if the NBA wants to follow suit…

This is ALOT of money coming into his economy. Where do you think Montreal would be without things like the Grand Prix, the Canadiens, Jazz fest, Just for Laughs, etc etc…

With unemployment slowing down, I think to eliminate more jobs in such a high profile manner would not help.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

17. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

This isn’t a political venue, but seeing as I have found a fellow American, I’ll just say this, and I am not stirring debate:

Obama has done little and I certainly believe little can be done. This country’s been going off the rails since the Vietnam War with brief periods of supposed prosperity. I live in NYS, its a joke. So far in debt they’re floating the idea of requiring LICENSE PLATES AND REGISTRATION for BICYCLES. We’re in full meltdown mode and I don’t think it can be stopped.

Oddly enough, there is a Histrory International special on this tonight… I’ll be watching with some hard liquor after the game.

18. andrewberkshire says:

I’m not an Obama fan, but it makes sense that he would try to avoid a labour dispute in the NFL. That league is a major economic success, and the USA needs that. Aside from that it takes him almost no time to put a word in.

19. Storm Man says:

He could have his lap top with him as he plays a round of golf.

20. LA Loyalist says:

He’s seems to have the smarts and the hands – what he will need is a power forward to clear real estate and another scoring threat on the line so defenses can’t key 100% on him — who would you line him up with now that might make that work?

In other words, put him in a situation where his skills can be maxed out. Does that sound like Coach Happy to you?

Serious is not so high on him, but for all my bagging I have no problem with a couple of small players if they are highly skilled. It’s an entire team of small soft players I have a problem with.

21. CanadienFanTrappedinNiagaraFallsNY says:

Agreed… everything our country has done as far as foreign intervention has equated to putting a wad of gum into a leaking hull of a boat. Short term protection or convenience, next thing you know there are bin Ladens and Ayatollahs. And intervening in affairs for political and economic purposes has handcuffed us from looking legitimate if we were to intervene in real humanitarian crises such as in Libya or Sudan.

Also, Ronald Regan was a clown and I am sick of being told how great he was. Big reason why this country is in the midst of an avalanche (sorry, had to get that out).

As for football, I am sick of the marketing and excessive and obnoxious commercialization. And most of the players. I would be happy to see it disappear for a year, this coming from a lifelong fan.

22. LA Loyalist says:

Watch Kovalchuk’s game winning goal last night. Him fall down. Him score. Him win game.

Him big stud like Greek God.

Gravity. Ice. Who knew what a weird combo that would be.

23. SeriousFan09 says:

KHL Update:

RW Maxim Trunev‘s year is over, his team Severstal Cherepovets lost in the opening round of the playoffs. He had 6GP, 0G, 0A, -3 with 2 PIM.

G Karri Ramo is hanging by a thread, he might have to stand on his head tommorow as Avangard Omsk is one loss away from elimination and need to force a Game 7 they’ve struggled to score despite being 1st overall in the regular season this year in the KHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

24. Danno says:

It’s true. Bush left the country in such great shape for him. How the hell did Obama mess it up so bad?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

25. SeriousFan09 says:

I don’t know the rules that well, they might be different seeing as how the Canadiens already own Yemelin’s NHL playing rights. I know the Capitals got Dmitri Orlov over to play for their AHL Hershey Bears a week or two ago and there’s been no issue there, but he’s also not being asked to play with the big team either.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. LA Loyalist says:

Mr. Basu’s article nearly made me explode. Sorry.

If JM’s system is so great how come we are still giving up 30.5 shots a game and we are 4-4-2, while New Jersey is giving up less shots and are 9-1 in their last 10.

JM takes notes? He should watch Jacques Lemaire and take some freaking notes.

BTW I would unleash our kids and take our chances. How could it be worse? At least we wouldn’t all be slipping into a boredom coma.

27. TomNickle says:

If that’s the case then I would assume that it would be okay.  Dumont was signed to his EL deal late in the NHL year but he also wasn’t playing professional hockey.

I couldn’t see the Habs bringing him up to the big club anyway.  But I also find it hard to believe that after his year is done that Yemelin will want to report to Hamilton.

28. HabFanSince72 says:

with the little that he’s done

• Bailed out the US auto industry.
    • Enacted health care reform after 50+ years of Democrats trying and failing to do it.
    • Ended the use of torture.
    • Ended the ban on stem cell research.
    • Improved America’s standing in the world (admittedly not difficult after the last guy).
    • Enacted financial reform including a Consumer FInancial Protection Bureau.
    • Extended benefits to same-sex partners of federal emplyees, and is on the verge or repealing the Defence of Marriage Act.
    • Repealed “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell”.
    • Created the $750B stimulus program.
    • More new jobs created in America in 2010 alone than in the entire 2000-2008 period.
    • Dow back above 12,000.

etc etc etc …

29. LA Loyalist says:

Well, I’d like to see a few of the kids that Serious writes about. In fact I have a rare weekend off from my kid’s hockey.

Now I feel guilty and obligated to do something outside (I don’t golf). Hmmm…

30. GrimJim says:

Waiver rule applies, I think…

13.23

In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim.

31. JSP1990 says:

You all make excelent points and have beaten me. You guys are right about the ecomomics of it affectting the state of the country. Thank you! And on the topic of football, who heard about Merriman and CM Punk getting into it?

Upcoming Shows: April 15: CHIKARA King of Trios

32. The Teacher says:

You SHOULD feel guilty lol it is   – 20 here!

33. TomNickle says:

That doesn’t say anything about him signing an entry level deal though.  Obviously they aren’t going to call him up to play immediately.  My question was about whether or not they can sign him.

Entry level deals are two way contracts and if I’m not mistaken Nabakov’s contract was one way so the Wings didn’t have any alternative other than to try placing him on the NHL club.  Clearly he wasn’t going to agree to play in Grand Rapids.

34. _Habsoloutly_ says:

lol, chill bugs, have some carrot juice.  You must know I’m only buggin ya with the PooPoo stuff.  I like the kid.  Just lay off my boy Eller.

35. LA Loyalist says:

Yeah! I remember the names, but sure the numbers help. Thanks!

Most of you guys are too young to remember, but when I was a kid, they showed Hamilton Junior A games in some rink where the camera line-of-sight would have pillars in the way, looking back it was pretty budget. The audio was always strange, too.

Serious, you live out there (I think) have you been to the rink (Dundas) where they had the Hockey Day NHL game? Do you remember the name of the rink off the top of your head and what it seats?

I went to some bowling alley in Hamilton about 2-3 years ago (I have friends out there), they had disco night and it was a lot of fun, but very, very stuck in the 70s.

My kid found the idea of “renting shoes” hilarious.

thanks!

VERY IMPORTANT FOR EVERYONE>!

I would realy like everyone to read this link. I sent it to Gary Bettman’s office and the players assosiation.

37. BoomBoom says:

I can’t believe we’re still talking about the so-called Bruins beatdown.

First, I am sick of hearing people say the Habs got a beat down…the 3 fair fights I saw Pouliot-Kreigi, Moen-Ference and Price-Thomas the Habs won them and handled themselves with class.

Second, beating up on a guy with your elbow pad after he goes down doesn’t count as a beatdown but rather cheap thuggery and lack of sportsmanship, it is a crime that daddy didn’t suspend Campbell’s a$$. Also jumping someone from behind, fighting someone who doesn’t want to fight or piling on top of someone who’s already down is not a beatdown, once again it’s thuggery.

Third, you won’t see that stuff in the playoffs unless a team wants to lose in 4 straight. So forget calling up AHLers to fight and let’s see the Habs win on the scoreboard because if it wasn’t for some poor backchecking by the Gomez line, the Habs would be 4-0 against the Bruins.

Bruins fans should be worried about another monumental playoff meltdown like last year, cause their team is still nothing but a bunch of gutless losers coached by a fugly!

P.S: I agree bring up Dawes just before the playoffs and send Pyatt down. We need to score more goals!

38. OneTimer says:

But you’re missing the point, 72, Obama is a secret Muslim fascist! Have you seen those pictures of him with a turban and a Hitler ‘stache? He hates Amer’ca!

39. bwoar says:

Gotta keep the people at home so they don’t revoilt against such a terrible Congress.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Can’t say I was around there and I’m not even going to be living where I am now in about 3 months likely, going to move more towards the TO core (much to my chagrin) as my new job currently has me facing a pain-in-the-ass commute (and an expensive one with gas spiking up) that I need to rectify once I’m sure I’m on the job full-time.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

41. Bugs says:

Pac-Man and Poolio.

42. Bugs says:

If he produces, I’ll lay off’m.

43. JSP1990 says:

Ahhh Dumont. If Bugs has Benny then I have Dumont. I hope he plays well, cause I’ll be watchin!

Upcoming Shows: April 15: CHIKARA King of Trios

44. Athlétique.Canadien says:

After watching an uneventful trade deadline come and go and pondering life without Markov and Gorges, I have recently been in the dumps – but NO MORE!

It’s time for GUILE!  Absolute GUILE!  I’ve got my brave face on and I am pumped.  Enough of all of this “we’re not as good as Boston” nonsense.  These are the Habs and we are going to win!

GUILE!!!  GO HABS GO!!!

45. Danno says:

(I forgot to add the sarc mark)

Edit — I see what you did there!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

46. BoomBoom says:

RIGHT ON! GO HABS GO!

At a boy Canaan.!!

48. J_P says:

A post befitting of your moniker.  Excellent post!

49. Malreg says:

Did I miss it, or was there no Habs Future report this week?

50. aemarchand11 says:

He still belongs to the Montreal Canadiens, not to be confused with UFA’s such as Nabokov, Svatos etc.

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

51. Danno says:

ALL THE F’in’ WAY!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”