Game 63: Canadiens blanked on Gainey Night

Updated 10:40 pm with audio

Canadiens goalie Carey Price and defenceman Josh Gorges team up to stop Columbus forward Rick Nash.
Christinne Muschi, Reuters

Lineups | Preview | Game Summary | Event Summary | Boxscore | Boone | Post-Game Audio: Carbonneau | Koivu | Kovalev

Canadiens legend Bob Gainey laced up his skates, pulled on a bleu-blanc-rouge jersey and turned a solo lap of Bell Centre ice tonight before a moving ceremony to retire the No. 23 he wore during an illustrious, Hall of Fame career.

Sadly, Gainey left the ice surface a half-hour before his team’s game began against Columbus and he didn’t return.

The ceremony honouring the Canadiens’ current general manager clearly was the night’s highlight, eclipsing the effort of the Habs in a 3-0 loss to the visiting Blue Jackets.

It was Montreal’s second consecutive defeat following a four-game winning streak.

By midway through the third period, disgrunted fans in the cheap(er) seats were hollering that they wanted Marian Hossa, the coveted sniper from Atlanta rumoured ad nauseum to be bound for the Canadiens before Tuesday’s NHL trading deadline. They’ll get him that night, if only because the Thrashers will then be in town to close out Montreal’s four-game homestand.

The Blue Jackets got on the scoreboard at 6:24, with Canadiens’ Tom Kostopoulos and Columbus’ Jared Boll serving fighting majors. Rick Nash, having slipped in behind defenceman Mike Komisarek, converted a sharp cross-ice pass from Mike Peca to beat Habs goalie Carey Price with his 33rd of the season.

Andrew Murray then made it 2-0 at 10:01 on a very stoppable shot, beating Price with an unscreened wrist shot from 20 feet.

The Canadiens enjoyed an 11-6 edge in first-period shots, but Blue Jackets goalie Pascale Leclaire was equal to anything thrown his way.

With a commanding lead in shots, 20-9 through 11:17 of the second period, the Canadiens went on a 5-on-3 for 1:10, but still couldn’t crack Leclaire. But then, they had just one shot through that 70 seconds.

Montreal outshot Columbus 12-8 in the second for a 40-minute 23-14 edge.

Columbus added their third when Manny Malhotra stripped Maxim Lapierre of the puck inside the Montreal blue line and went in to deke Price at 16:42.

At least a few of this city’s linguistically motivated fans wanted a mulligan on their cheers for head coach Guy Carbonneau, who enjoyed a rousing ovation when introduced during the Gainey ceremony.

Carbonneau didn’t dress forward Guillaume Latendresse, the third time he’s been a healthy scratch this season; forward Mathieu Dandenault, his seventh; and defenceman Patrice Brisebois, his 19th and fifth game in a row.

1. WindsorHab-10 says:

Throw in Slowinski & Breezeby.

2. A. Berke says:

I wonder if Gainey can sign this kid up NOW under the same clause that Bruins signed-up Bobby Orr at the tender age of 12?

Cheers,

Ali B.

3. habsgod says:

CHRIS GRATTON IS ABUM!!HE IS VERY,VERY SLOW AND WOULD NOT FIT WITH THIS TEAM!!HE’S NOT THE BIG CENTER WE NEED!HE CAN’T SCORE ANYMORE!JOKINEN IS THE BIG DOMINATING CENTER WE NEED !!! BUT PERSONALLY I LIKE MARIAN HOSSA!IF WE COULD GET HIM WATCH KOIVU PLAY LIKE HE DID WHEN HE WAS BACK IN HIS EARLIER 20’S!THIS WOULD GIVES US 2 VERY DANGEROUS LINES AND MAKE US AN EVEN DEEPER TEAM WITH A VERY POTENT OFFENCE!I THINK IT WOULD MAKE US THE FAVORITES TO COME OUT OF THE EASTERN CONFERENCE!

4. Chuck says:

Price in.

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

5. Bean says:

Aw, nice find. I always get a kick out of young kids in goal, this guy’s barely taller than the crossbar!

He’s got all the moves plus the crease crosshatching, head bob, post tapping and oversized jersey of the Big Guys.

6. V. says:

Does anyone know who’s starting in goal tonight? I need to fix my fantasy lineup lol.

7. The Teacher says:

Haha, Montreal’s Atom BB league? I recognize the Braves uniforms among others.

8. skoehn says:

Koivu needs a winger who will compliment his talent that would be the best thing for him… he is obviously not enjoying the line changes this season.. he will be back to top form with a partner that has chemistry.. if you watch him out there he has so much talent but its hard to make plays happen when you linemen are not where you need them to be… trading him would is not the answer….

9. PureGuava says:

I agree…Smolinski has looked hungry the last couple of times he’s played…He will be huge in the playoffs for us. Latrendesse does not belong in the NHL right now. I have nothing against the kid, but call up Grabovski already.

10. N.B.habs fan says:

thanks for the viedo ,good little goaldie.good song too…….

11. showey47 says:

Without a doubt jokinen would be my first choice if it came down to it. But we would have to gut the core in order to get him, so we may end up taking 2 or 3 steps back to go one step forward. Hossa would be my second choice but it would depend on what will be going the other way, there is going to be a serious bidding war for his services though. Richards would be my third and may make the most sense because he would be more of a salary dump due to tampa’s team self-imposed cap. We could probably get him without giving up core roster players.

12. RH says:

Sadly, I’ve missed the past four games,(vacation don’t ya know). However, Youtube is great isn’t it? Yeah, Komisarek did get a couple of good shots in but, how about Komisarek absolutely PASTING Brian Gionta into the boards, during the dying seconds of the previous ‘Game of the Century’?

13. nightmare_49 says:

You always got to have an alternate trade or a plan B or C. Jokinen is my 1st and he’s a big center and we know what he can do but Martin GM is on thin ice and has to make the playoffs or he could be gone and he has seven players on the IR so he wants players that can play right now. Hossa (UFA) the sniper will also attract the same attention and you have to sign him with that crazy agent. There’s going to be a bidding war for both players and the price will be steep as for starters San Jose is rumoured to offer Marlowe and Carle to both teams as well as Tampa for Boyle (Sharks top priority). Your Plan B or C (Richards) may start looking good at less of a price by far.

14. Blitzen says:

I put this up:

Not sure if it’ll have any legs but I thought I’d do it just out of respect for Gainey. Hopefully, the guy gets to read it at some point. Add your thoughts if you wish!
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

15. TradeRyder says:

Good reasoned argument. The first I’ve heard that makes me think Richards might not be a train wreck. Glad you still prefer Hossa though… Richards may blossom but he’s surely more of a gamble.

_____________________________________________________________
    On Tuesday I will change my name. Any Suggestions?
    – SitSlowinski?
    – 4thRoundorBust?

16. TradeRyder says:

Yeah, and you get what you pay for (or sometimes less).

_____________________________________________________________
    On Tuesday I will change my name. Any Suggestions?
    – SitSlowinski?
    – 4thRoundorBust?

17. TradeRyder says:

How about Komisarek pounding the crap outa Dubinsky.

_____________________________________________________________
    On Tuesday I will change my name. Any Suggestions?
    – SitSlowinski?
    – 4thRoundorBust?

18. RH says:

Can you come up with a clever pic for ‘4thRoundorBust’? ‘SitSlowinski’ is just too easy.

19. Shiloh says:

Trade Latenderness – for anything you can get.

20. Shiloh says:

We don’t want Richards – the most overpaid player in the game at 8 million!! I’ll take Tampa’s Zamboni driver and a bag of pucks instead.

21. Shiloh says:

And the cap will go up next year as well – or have you factored that in?

22. linp says:

Looks like someone wants Latendresse to be the Habs captain, LOL!

23. nightmare_49 says:

Columbus Dispatch – Ottawa have offered Brian Lee (D) for Federov. The Blue Jackets have offered Rostislav Klesla (D) (a 1st rounder 4th overall) and Derick Brassard (C) (a 1st rounder 6th overall) and a 2nd round pick (2008) for Brad Richards.

24. RiverviewCanadien says:

He had a great career with Montreal, I threw his name out there because he is my favorite player, the guy was not tall, weighed 160lbs and managed to play some of the best hockey I have ever seen, and he was the last Canadien to score over a 100 points in one season.

25. Blitzen says:

Saw a show called Il va y avoir du sport yesterday where people were arguing whether Bill 101 should force the Habs captain to be able to speak French. Those in favor were Pierre Trudel (the sports writer) and Suzanne Tremblay (former Bloc Québécois MP and someone media keep using despite her obvious mental shortcomings). Those against included François Gagnon and Jean Dion. I must say that Gagnon and Dion did well to keep their tempers despite the stoopid arguments brought forth by the other stiffs.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

26. TradeRyder says:

Just goes to prove no matter how you slice it, the Laffs are last. Maybe we should start calling them the Lasts. :)

_____________________________________________________________
    On Tuesday I will change my name. Any Suggestions?
    – SitSlowinski?
    – 4thRoundorBust?

27. Blitzen says:

Could you get more for a conditional date with Jennifer Hedger or Holly Horton?
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

28. Blitzen says:

It’ll be funny if the Pens start tanking after Crosby comes back.
    _____________________________________________________
    Remember February 19th: The Comeback

29. Blitzen says:

Gotcha…just curious: are you saying you think Lats Sr will end up in Hamilton?
    _____________________________________________________