Game 62: Bozak, Kessel power Leafs over Habs

Maple Leafs’ Phil Kessel is stopped by Canadiens goalie Carey Price and Hal Gill during the second period on Thursday night. Dave Sidaway, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri I and II | Carey Price | Alex Auld | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Alex Auld didn’t last long in his start against the Maple Leafs on Thursday night, giving up three goals before being pulled in 5-4 loss to the Maple Leafs. The Canadiens opened the scoring when Jeff Halpern redirected a Roman Hamrlik shot 5:43 into the period. But the Leafs scored three before the period was over, chasing Auld. Phil Kessel scored the first two goals, both on the power play. Brett Lebda scored at 13:02, ending Auld’s night after allowing three goals on nine shots. The Canadiens would tie the game early in the second with a pair of power-play goals of their own. Michael Cammalleri beat James Reimer with an accurate wrist shot 3:42 into the period. Only 20 seconds late, James Wisniewski blasted a point shot beyond Reimer to make it 3-3. Tyler Bozak put the Leafs back in the lead with another power-play goal. His shot pinballed behind Carey Price with only two seconds remaining on a questionable call on Wiesniewski. Bozak scored his second of the game 4:26 into the second period not long after the Maple Leafs killed off a penalty, putting the game out of reach. Max Pacioretty made it 5-4 for the Leafs with 2:37 to play when his shot from in front of Reimer found its way behind the Leafs goaltender.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost four of its last five games and falls to 32-23-7 to remain at 71 points, three ahead of the New York Rangers for sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

• What’s Next: The Hurricanes come to the Bell Centre on Saturday night before the Canadiens hit the road for three games starting March 1 in Atlanta, then on to Florida and Tampa Bay.

1. olematelot says:

How can you say the D is not exactly our problem. With Markov, Gorges and if rumours are correct Spacek gone for the season it is a problem and PG has addressed it somewhat with this move.

2. ed lopaz says:

I get that – all true – and I would take either one of your Jones’s boys.

what Dumont does give us?

1) expereinced 20+ goal scorer – same cap hit ($4 million) – signed through ’11 / ’12

2) decent 2 way player; I would imagine he would follow the system.

3) smart player – has had some excellent seasons with Nashville

3) speaks the language of RDS – ha! ha!

3. ed lopaz says:

I think the Habs like Dumont – but its just a hunch.

What don’t you like about him?

4. shootdapuck says:

Actually from Saskatoon!

But a WHL grad who knows how to play tough but not fancy by any means!

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

5. KenD29 says:

Think you are the Dawes page while I was on the Sopel page.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

6. Jonson says:

yeah i know there is a lot of centers for sure. but he is how old? 22 or 23 max (no pun intended) . did you see him in the preseason?? he looked awesome out there, and he is playing good right now was well. but im sure you know that since you do a great job of following the prospects. i believe is going to be a number 2 center in the next couple of years.

If dawes is playing in the AHL, we basically sent maxwell for sopel. thats rediculous if dawes doesnt play on the habs.

7. shootdapuck says:

Dawes is on a two way contract 600K per.

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

8. Storm Man says:

I don’t think you have watched Sopel much… Lucic would put him on a baby food diet.

9. SeriousFan09 says:

If Spacek is out, Sopel is in to replace, while bringing grit to the defensive lineup, at the cost of a 4th-rounder, ATL and MTL at the same time exchanged career AHL players.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

10. KenD29 says:

Dawes toughness?!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Dawes has to clear waivers, he’s a Bulldog.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. RGM says:

If Darche & Spacek are indeed done for the year as speculated, this is a depth move to replace them.

Sopel lost his job to Stuart from Boston and is 7th on the Thrasher depth chart.  He helped out Chicago last year in the Cup run.

Dawes can score but he’s another small forward.  He couldn’t get out of the minors this year even with Atlanta slumping and having injuries up front.  Not as good as Darche so he’ll have to fight teacher’s pet for a spot.

Maxwell seems to be spinning his wheels.  DD ended any hope of him playing in Montreal next year.

14. Storm Man says:

Rentals for the Bulldogs.

15. avatar_58 says:

That’s kind of how I see it. Maxwell might be good, but he’s never coming up in montreal. So really, they gave up a 4th for these two.

16. Storm Man says:

So more under 6 foot players. 5’9 Dawes lol

17. TomNickle says:

I guess Dawes gives you somebody to add to HabsFuture.

I was just looking for ballpark comparisons on all these trades, Paul.  You could counter by saying that Stewart is further along than MaxPac.

I realize that a lot of posters are getting kind of antsy seeing that the Habs haven’t entered the trade market. There are some of us who believe that we shouldn’t risk the future, while others want to go ‘all in’ for a serious Cup run. Regardless, I really wonder how many of these recent deals we really could have participated in when you consider all the factors that are involved.

Kovalev – Strictly a salary dump as the Sens get nothing in return. Once G&G cleaned house, there was no way that any of those players were returning. The page has been turned.

Goligoski/Neal – The hottest commodity in the NHL right now are puck moving Dmen. Dallas paid a really high price. Neal would have cost us Subban for sure. We have no one that could have gone the other way for Goligoski.

Johnson/Stewart/Shattenkirk – This is a high rent district trade. We don’t have a Johnson so that pretty well ends it right there. Stewart & Shattenkirk are at least as good if not better than Subban and MaxPac.

Kaberle/Colbourne/1st/2nd – that’s a high price to pay for a rental even if he re-signs over the summer. Kaberle is good, but not great. He has a lot of issues in his own end. An equivalent package from us would have been the picks plus Leblanc.

Beauchemin/Gardiner/Lupul – Would have hurt big time to trade for a guy that you could have had for free two years ago. The Habs would have to counter with Tinordi and AK46.

Versteeg/1st/3rd – Versteeg is just 24 so that’s a bonus. I’m not sure that I want to give up two picks for another small forward who doesn’t address any of our major needs, not that I’m knocking Versteeg.

Fisher/1st/2nd or 3rd – Great deal for Nashville. Our problem would be that Fisher would be a natural #2 centre, which is a non-starter with Gomez on the roster.

White/2nd – Why give up a 2nd pick when Weber could be just as good in a year or two?

Kelly/2nd – Great deal for Boston, especially seeing that Kelly is signed for next year. I could have lived with this move except that we lost a 2nd in order to plug a hole on the D. Never underestimate the impact of the Markov injury on our present trade options.

Brewer/3rd/mid level prospect – I would have made this deal. Brewer would provide immediate help and might also be a logical candidate for signing as an UFA in July. A perfect partner for Subban next year.

Ruutu/6th – This is the other deal I would have made. Up the anti to a 5th rounder and it’s done.

Brewer and Ruutu would be solid additions without breaking the bank. Most of the other deals were realistically beyond our reach.

BTW, it’s been a while since younger players such as Hagman, Zherdev and Bernier have been placed on waivers. It will be interesting to see if anyone bites. Hab could take a chance on Bernier, even though his career has been downhill lately. Same age as AK46. He’ll be looking for work in the 750000 range next season. Good insurance for the rest of the year. He has to be an upgrade on Pyatt.

20. TomNickle says:

Ryan Jones or David Jones

21. kempie says:

Cue the madness.

22. Habs_Fan_In_Edmonton says:

Not sure of its legitimacy, but the twitter account NHLSourcesSay announces that montreal has yet to call the NHL about the trade, but they have agreed on one

23. SeriousFan09 says:

Nothing else known yet, would have mentioned otherwise.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

24. JD_ says:

“I’ve got a lot of people I want to go see.” – an apparently emotional Carey Price as he left the emptied Habs dressin’ room followin’ the hard-fought victory over the ‘Nucks.

* Man, did this kid ever want it or what? Paul Mara, a team player of Kostopoulosian proportion, fetched the game-winnin’ puck for Price, a gesture for which Carey was very appreciative, notin’ it was the puck he most prized this season.

* I remember another Hab goaltender whose combination of talent and single-minded purpose made for a stellar career. Price’s cooler demeanour differentiates him from that guy, who probably would have set aside any friendly considerations and pounded Thomas into the stratosphere, but no two champions – past, present, or future – are ever truly alike.

* I keep hearin’ Gill referred to by his teammates as Skillsie. Awesome. I love witty irony. Durin’ the Habs skills competition at the Bell Centre a few weeks ago, Gill was supposed to participate in the shootin’ accuracy event. When his name was announced, he didn’t skate out. A close-up of him then appeared on the giant scoreboard; he was flush red and shakin’ his head back-and-forth. Ryan White was then announced as his substitute. I’d ignore the noise: Gill will be back in a Habs uni next season.

* I’m not relieved that Kovy is with the Pens cuz I never for a second believed PG was st00pid enough to cramp his standin’ in the dressin’ room by bringin’ in the hyper-talented problem-child. The 4,915th overall pick not only says somethin’ about Alexei’s currency in the league but also his status with the Sens. Then again, for all we know, l’Artiste’s agent limited Murray’s options. I understand that happens a lot in the nation’s capital.

* How many Hab fans does it take to change a light bulb? About a million. One to change the bulb and the rest to march in the streets callin’ for his head. Only in Montreal do fans sincerely want a coach fired because he’s opted to put the backup in nets. And I wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s truly awesome. When out in Cowtown on the weekend, I encountered a ton of hardcore Flames fans. I noted that they must absolutely loathe Hab fans, because we’re clearly an insufferably self-important bunch of effin’ pompous a-holes who are utterly convinced we rule the Earth. The Flames fan concurred. Then I laughed at their one measly Cup, reminded them we had 24, and told them to bugger off because we rule the Earth.

* It doesn’t get any better.

* Burkie’s a blowhard twit and his team and its fans suketh.

25. SeriousFan09 says:

Ben Maxwell has been turfed, no word on where or return yet. Hopefully someone I can squeeze into Habs Future.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

26. shiram says:

no details as of yet, dont expect a blockbuster though

27. TomNickle says:

Anything else moving with him?

28. RMc says:

Ian Schultz…directly from Ian

29. TomNickle says:

Bring in some Jones Pierre.  COME ON!