Game 62: Bozak, Kessel power Leafs over Habs

Maple Leafs’ Phil Kessel is stopped by Canadiens goalie Carey Price and Hal Gill during the second period on Thursday night. Dave Sidaway, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Mike Cammalleri I and II | Carey Price | Alex Auld | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Alex Auld didn’t last long in his start against the Maple Leafs on Thursday night, giving up three goals before being pulled in 5-4 loss to the Maple Leafs. The Canadiens opened the scoring when Jeff Halpern redirected a Roman Hamrlik shot 5:43 into the period. But the Leafs scored three before the period was over, chasing Auld. Phil Kessel scored the first two goals, both on the power play. Brett Lebda scored at 13:02, ending Auld’s night after allowing three goals on nine shots. The Canadiens would tie the game early in the second with a pair of power-play goals of their own. Michael Cammalleri beat James Reimer with an accurate wrist shot 3:42 into the period. Only 20 seconds late, James Wisniewski blasted a point shot beyond Reimer to make it 3-3. Tyler Bozak put the Leafs back in the lead with another power-play goal. His shot pinballed behind Carey Price with only two seconds remaining on a questionable call on Wiesniewski. Bozak scored his second of the game 4:26 into the second period not long after the Maple Leafs killed off a penalty, putting the game out of reach. Max Pacioretty made it 5-4 for the Leafs with 2:37 to play when his shot from in front of Reimer found its way behind the Leafs goaltender.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost four of its last five games and falls to 32-23-7 to remain at 71 points, three ahead of the New York Rangers for sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

• What’s Next: The Hurricanes come to the Bell Centre on Saturday night before the Canadiens hit the road for three games starting March 1 in Atlanta, then on to Florida and Tampa Bay.

1. Izzy says:

Maxwell traded this afternoon…….just sayin…….

2. RGM says:

If Darche & Spacek are indeed done for the year as speculated, this is a depth move to replace them.

3. TomNickle says:

This deal is very likely for a current NHLer.  Clearly only thing holding off the announcement is the other team notifying their player or players.

Sopel lost his job to Stuart from Boston and is 7th on the Thrasher depth chart.  He helped out Chicago last year in the Cup run.

Dawes can score but he’s another small forward.  He couldn’t get out of the minors this year even with Atlanta slumping and having injuries up front.  Not as good as Darche so he’ll have to fight teacher’s pet for a spot.

Maxwell seems to be spinning his wheels.  DD ended any hope of him playing in Montreal next year.

5. Storm Man says:

Rentals for the Bulldogs.

6. avatar_58 says:

That’s kind of how I see it. Maxwell might be good, but he’s never coming up in montreal. So really, they gave up a 4th for these two.

7. Storm Man says:

So more under 6 foot players. 5’9 Dawes lol

8. SeriousFan09 says:

Maxwell was pretty much finished in MTL anyway, he never really improved on his rookie season in HAM. Rolled a guy who was going to get cut loose this summer to help in the final stretch and playoffs.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

9. TomNickle says:

I’d put money on Pyatt and Weber being gone by Monday.

10. TomNickle says:

I guess Dawes gives you somebody to add to HabsFuture.

11. SeriousFan09 says:

Brent Sopel is going to give more impact in the final 20 games and the POs than Ben Maxwell is going to ever likely give in the NHL.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

12. TomNickle says:

Maxwell and a 4th for two rentals.  You can bet that Gauthier isn’t done.

I was just looking for ballpark comparisons on all these trades, Paul.  You could counter by saying that Stewart is further along than MaxPac.

14. avatar_58 says:

Oh my, interesting

15. Mike T says:

Don’t like it

I realize that a lot of posters are getting kind of antsy seeing that the Habs haven’t entered the trade market. There are some of us who believe that we shouldn’t risk the future, while others want to go ‘all in’ for a serious Cup run. Regardless, I really wonder how many of these recent deals we really could have participated in when you consider all the factors that are involved.

Kovalev – Strictly a salary dump as the Sens get nothing in return. Once G&G cleaned house, there was no way that any of those players were returning. The page has been turned.

Goligoski/Neal – The hottest commodity in the NHL right now are puck moving Dmen. Dallas paid a really high price. Neal would have cost us Subban for sure. We have no one that could have gone the other way for Goligoski.

Johnson/Stewart/Shattenkirk – This is a high rent district trade. We don’t have a Johnson so that pretty well ends it right there. Stewart & Shattenkirk are at least as good if not better than Subban and MaxPac.

Kaberle/Colbourne/1st/2nd – that’s a high price to pay for a rental even if he re-signs over the summer. Kaberle is good, but not great. He has a lot of issues in his own end. An equivalent package from us would have been the picks plus Leblanc.

Beauchemin/Gardiner/Lupul – Would have hurt big time to trade for a guy that you could have had for free two years ago. The Habs would have to counter with Tinordi and AK46.

Versteeg/1st/3rd – Versteeg is just 24 so that’s a bonus. I’m not sure that I want to give up two picks for another small forward who doesn’t address any of our major needs, not that I’m knocking Versteeg.

Fisher/1st/2nd or 3rd – Great deal for Nashville. Our problem would be that Fisher would be a natural #2 centre, which is a non-starter with Gomez on the roster.

White/2nd – Why give up a 2nd pick when Weber could be just as good in a year or two?

Kelly/2nd – Great deal for Boston, especially seeing that Kelly is signed for next year. I could have lived with this move except that we lost a 2nd in order to plug a hole on the D. Never underestimate the impact of the Markov injury on our present trade options.

Brewer/3rd/mid level prospect – I would have made this deal. Brewer would provide immediate help and might also be a logical candidate for signing as an UFA in July. A perfect partner for Subban next year.

Ruutu/6th – This is the other deal I would have made. Up the anti to a 5th rounder and it’s done.

Brewer and Ruutu would be solid additions without breaking the bank. Most of the other deals were realistically beyond our reach.

BTW, it’s been a while since younger players such as Hagman, Zherdev and Bernier have been placed on waivers. It will be interesting to see if anyone bites. Hab could take a chance on Bernier, even though his career has been downhill lately. Same age as AK46. He’ll be looking for work in the 750000 range next season. Good insurance for the rest of the year. He has to be an upgrade on Pyatt.

17. J_P says:

Another trade where I fail to see the point.  Our D isn’t exactly our problem.  Last time I checked, the habs main issue was goal-scoring and size in the top-6 forwards, and neither sopel nor dawes addresses that department in any way.

If someone could explain this logic of this deal to me, I’d appreciate it.

18. TomNickle says:

Ryan Jones or David Jones

FINGERS FF’ING CROSSED.

19. Storm Man says:

Tom Dawes does WHAT!!!!! you know he is playing in the AHL right… and at 5’9 he better not replace anyone here.

20. kempie says:

Cue the madness.

21. HabFanSince72 says:

Dawes for Maxwell is a wash – two AHLers who haven’t managed to stick in the show.

Sopel for a 4th is OK I guess. Sopel is a decent defenceman, and a UFA next year. He appears to be Atlanta’s #1 penalty killing d-man (based on nhl stats). Also leads the Thrashers in +/- among d-men but likely not playing against the top lines.

22. TomNickle says:

And Sopel replaces Weber immediately.  Dawes very likely replaces Darche/Pyatt.

23. smiler2729 says:

I like Sopel, tough SOB

24. HabFarmer says:

A man’s attitude… a man’s attitude goes some ways. The way his life will be. Is that somethin’ you agree with?

25. Habs_Fan_In_Edmonton says:

Not sure of its legitimacy, but the twitter account NHLSourcesSay announces that montreal has yet to call the NHL about the trade, but they have agreed on one

26. TomNickle says:

Darche is on IR.  Dawes will very likely be the 13th forward until Kostitsyn gets dealt tomorrow.

27. SeriousFan09 says:

Nothing else known yet, would have mentioned otherwise.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

28. Storm Man says:

Im not sure with 16 PIM this year you can call someone a tough SOB.

29. Mike T says:

Sopel is the decent end of the trade. Never really liked Maxwell anyway…Don’t understand having any desire to pick up Dawes (5’9) when we have Boyd in the minors

30. olematelot says:

Get your facts straight before making incorrect statements, Sopel has played in 59 of the Thrashers 61 games this season. Hardly sounds like a guy whose a haelthy scratch

31. Storm Man says:

I sure hope not…. His game is weak.

32. TomNickle says:

Sopel isn’t the kind of guy who lets forwards crash the crease, he’s a fairly decent addition.

Kostitsyn or Gomez are all but gone now.

33. JD_ says:

“I’ve got a lot of people I want to go see.” – an apparently emotional Carey Price as he left the emptied Habs dressin’ room followin’ the hard-fought victory over the ‘Nucks.

* Man, did this kid ever want it or what? Paul Mara, a team player of Kostopoulosian proportion, fetched the game-winnin’ puck for Price, a gesture for which Carey was very appreciative, notin’ it was the puck he most prized this season.

* I remember another Hab goaltender whose combination of talent and single-minded purpose made for a stellar career. Price’s cooler demeanour differentiates him from that guy, who probably would have set aside any friendly considerations and pounded Thomas into the stratosphere, but no two champions – past, present, or future – are ever truly alike.

* I keep hearin’ Gill referred to by his teammates as Skillsie. Awesome. I love witty irony. Durin’ the Habs skills competition at the Bell Centre a few weeks ago, Gill was supposed to participate in the shootin’ accuracy event. When his name was announced, he didn’t skate out. A close-up of him then appeared on the giant scoreboard; he was flush red and shakin’ his head back-and-forth. Ryan White was then announced as his substitute. I’d ignore the noise: Gill will be back in a Habs uni next season.

* I’m not relieved that Kovy is with the Pens cuz I never for a second believed PG was st00pid enough to cramp his standin’ in the dressin’ room by bringin’ in the hyper-talented problem-child. The 4,915th overall pick not only says somethin’ about Alexei’s currency in the league but also his status with the Sens. Then again, for all we know, l’Artiste’s agent limited Murray’s options. I understand that happens a lot in the nation’s capital.

* How many Hab fans does it take to change a light bulb? About a million. One to change the bulb and the rest to march in the streets callin’ for his head. Only in Montreal do fans sincerely want a coach fired because he’s opted to put the backup in nets. And I wouldn’t want it any other way. It’s truly awesome. When out in Cowtown on the weekend, I encountered a ton of hardcore Flames fans. I noted that they must absolutely loathe Hab fans, because we’re clearly an insufferably self-important bunch of effin’ pompous a-holes who are utterly convinced we rule the Earth. The Flames fan concurred. Then I laughed at their one measly Cup, reminded them we had 24, and told them to bugger off because we rule the Earth.

* It doesn’t get any better.

* Burkie’s a blowhard twit and his team and its fans suketh.

34. TomNickle says:

He brings energy.  But that’s all.

I might be having the typical fan reaction but I feel something else is in the works here.  There’s no point in adding Sopel and adding that number to your cap figure unless you’re shedding some salary somewhere else leading up to Monday.

I’d say Andrei is gone tomorrow.  That’s the most likely scenario anyway.

35. habs365 says:

just for a playoff run nothing more

36. SmartDog says:

Sopel is a big, tough shut-down D.  From Calgary, he’s a Western boy.  He’s been traded a lot so he’s not exactly a high-demand guy but he played well for the Blackhawks last year and won a ring for his troubles.  He doesn’t score a lof of points, but he plays the PK, and has size and grit.

I like it.

But he NEEDS to stay away from crackers.  Always. At all times. This is important.

37. KenD29 says:

Agreed!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

38. JD_ says:

Maxwell looked doomed to spend his days in the AHL.

The Sopel pickup certainly suggests Spacek is gone for the season. The press release to that effect is probably imminent, bit of a fill-in-the-blank exercise for the Habs this season.

39. naweed235 says:

I like both Dawes and Sopel… both can bring some needed toughness to our team and sopel’s cup winning experience from last year is welcome in the locker room…

for some reason though, Sopel always looked to me like he just put down the crack pipe…I dont know why

40. HabFanSince72 says:

Our D is and has been our problem all year. With Spacek gone for the season, this was even more of a problem.

This obviously means that Picard/Weber/Mara were not trusted to fill in the bottom two spots in the D roster.

41. TomNickle says:

He isn’t what we need, he can’t move big bodies off of the puck or play keep away down low.

Ryan and David Jones please.

42. olematelot says:

Dawes is 5’9 200 lbs, short yes, small no.

43. Jonson says:

its hard to argue with you but he is still young, and hasnt he been injured a lot this year?

i think he gonna be a hell of player., i guess time will tell. but atlanta scored big time on this deal.

44. HabFanSince72 says:

Dawes is going to the AHL. Sopel is a defenceman.

I don’t see how this has any bearing on Kos or Gomer.

And  Gomer is not going anywhere.

45. Former Jets Fan says:

My hazy and unreliable experiences have suggested  that the mulleted have a predilection more towards meth than to crack.

46. HabFanSince72 says:

There’s no point in adding Sopel

Sure there is, if Spacek is done for the year.

47. olematelot says:

Doesn’t mean with the ever changing scenario that he can’t be sent down.

48. smiler2729 says:

Sopel can pummel Lucic on March 8th, Dawes is probably a Bulldog to take Maxwell’s place… nice deal.

49. krob1000 says:

weird trade…very weird…hoping there is something else going on and these are us filling out the depth needs because other roster players are being moved

50. TomNickle says:

Gill, Subban, Hamrlik, Wisniewski, Mara, Weber, Picard……and now Sopel.

Somebody in that group is moving.  He’s not going to carry 8 defensemen on the NHL roster.

51. SmartDog says:

Stop teasing me!!!!!

52. SmartDog says:

Tough, but responsible.  Even better.   Just look at the guy, he LOOKS like someone you don’t want to f… I mean, mess with.

53. KenD29 says:

Spacek is done. Gill is banged up. Hamrlik has been used more than he should.

Hence Sopel.

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

54. Jonson says:

DONT LIKE IT, MAXWELL is going to be a really good hockey player.  i dont mind getting those guys, but i HATE giving up Maxwell.

Does anybody know why Dawes has only played 9 games?

55. Storm Man says:

Picard back to the Bulldogs.

56. TomNickle says:

Sopel eats up just over half of the money we had left to spend.  We can now only take on somebody whose salary is around $1.6 million annually.

Somebody else, with a salary, is moving.

57. TomNickle says:

I’m not speaking in terms of what he brings, I’m speaking in terms of what his acquisition does for future moves until Monday.

58. C_Hand says:

Lol @ refs ruining the game so far for us tonight. Killing our momentum completely with stupid penalties.

59. HabFanSince72 says:

Sopel was the number one PK d-man during the Hawks cup run with almost 4 min/game on the PK.

60. habstrinifan says:

JM is an A…

61. krob1000 says:

or Spacek is our LTIR as well and really is done for the season as some rogue reports indicate…in which case we still would have plenty of room.  It is all very strange nonetheless…..Dawes? is there another player who is as David Desharnais as Dawes?

62. TomNickle says:

Doubt it.  They told him to get a place in Montreal Tim.

63. SeriousFan09 says:

Maxwell never really built on his rookie AHL season and honestly, Desharnais shows more balls than he does on the ice.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

64. TomNickle says:

Sopel not playing tonight per Lavoie.

65. TomNickle says:

And now he’s top 10 in our hearts.

66. ABHabsfan says:

Will Sopel make it into the line-up tonight? That frickin’ Grabovski could use a dose of Sopel-glove.

I am really perplexed about starting Auld tonight. I realize he needs to play, but this game is far from a gimme. Wouldn’t you go with the guy that shut them out less than 2 weeks ago? BTW that is 2 quasi-nice things I have posted about the Leafs recently, sumpin’ wrong with me.

67. TomNickle says:

Dawes is FAST.  Very Fast.  But all he brings is energy and some fancy moves here and there.

I think he takes Pyatt’s place if/when he gets the call.

I think Kostitsyn, Pyatt and Weber are gone.

68. ed lopaz says:

Sopels a shot blocker – exactly what Martin loves!

he’s top 10 in the NHL in shot blocking

.Habs hockey is “smart” hockey – we play 5 man defence, not just 2 – we move up the ice as a 5 man unit, we back check with 5.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

Pre-season is pre-season, he hasn’t been a constant impact guy for Hamilton this season and in his 3rd AHL year, he should be that at the least, hell he’s had free shot at No. 1 C since Desharnais left and never really exploited it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

70. TomNickle says:

No Dumont please.

I definitely think Weber is moving now though.  They basically just bumped him off of the NHL roster.

71. ed lopaz says:

if we make a deal, I would think AK 46 and Weber give us our best chance for a decent return.

those are 2 legit NHL players.

go on a limb and say the deal involves AK 46 and Weber to Nashville for J.P. Dumont and ??

72. krob1000 says:

read the sopel assessment…great heart, great pk guy, shot blocker..but warns we better not let him coross center ice because he can’t skate at the NHL level and isn’t smart enough to play 200 ft.  Kind of like another Hal Gill without the reach. Bizarre move unless we are planning last years strategy of five men shot blockingadn relying on our goalie to stand on his head…..in which case Sopel will be great.  Interesting move though I think they realized last game that they can;t waste PK’s time on the PK like they had to against the Nucks…that to me is the most logical reason…a Pk guy and stay at home guy to babysit Pk or Wiz with Gorges out…my issue is that we already have trouble scoring and another dman who takes too much time getting the puck out had better be offset by another forward being added….also I think Spacek may be done now with this news.

73. TomNickle says:

His cap hit is $2.333 million.

74. shootdapuck says:

Sopel is a UFA at the the end of the season.

His 1.6 million is per season the proration due from the Canadiens is small maybe 500K.

He is probably a rental or replacement for Gill, Hamrlck, or whoever is departing next season.

“I only like to watch and takes notes” JM

75. Habmadrid says:

True. But Toronto is running the show, that won’t change for a while. However that should make us stronger. Hell! 25 titles! the stanley cup knows it’s way back home. We just have to have faith. Ref’s gomez, ak, gill, ham…they might improve, but I believe, this team is better than last year and improved alot today….mark my words. Price in 2 years will be undisputed best goalie, p.k best d and we need to develope some forwards from the within. 95-2000 cost us a decade…let’s solve…we are the Montreal Canadiens and no one deserves more respect!

76. Pattyice says:

well I dont profess to be a hockey genious but I have coached from novice up to bantamn hockey and one thing I always teach the kids is only worry a bout the things you can control ie:your own skill, the amount of heart you put in the game etc. you cant control the reffing or how the other team plays you you have to adapt to the surroundings. this being said that is the 3rd time this year i’ve seen that penalty that Gio took which is complete BS that play might have single handidly changed the outcome of the game. A 2 on 1 foiled!!!! might have completely changed the game

77. MontrealAtheist says:

Halak is licking his fingers all the way to the bank with his pay cheques ;-)

I guess Habs management was so determined not to endanger Price’s #1 status in the team this season, they got a useless backup such as Auld to make sure that Price will shine in comparison.

78. PeterD says:

The team that wanted the two points more won the game…how do we get a Kessel in Montreal silks?

79. habstrinifan says:

We gave up Maxwell and a 4th round for Dawes and Sopel neithe rof whom were in Atlanta’s plans.

Wonderful! Did we try for Kovalev.. Pittsburg only had to give up a 7th pick. Whom would you rather have on this team now (and I am not a Kovalev fan) Kovalev or Sopel or Dawes?

How the heck cacn anyone justify not only Maxwell but a 4th round pick.

80. dallyd31 says:

I’m thinking exhausted/hurt.  You have 3 of our top 6 d out, forcing 37 year old dmen to play 25 minutes a game when they are supposed to be playing 15-17 minutes.

That causes burn out and injury.  I would bet a lot of the guys are playing injured, and have no choice with so many guys out. Look at the way they played tonight…zero enery or jump at all Some guys were obviously shying away from hits, meaning, to me, they are hurt.

Cammy looked terribly out of shape and wouldn’t go near physical contact.

81. TomNickle says:

64 games played.  Only 16 where we’ve had more powerplays than the opposition.

Our home crowd takes us out of games with all of that booing.

82. habstrinifan says:

I feel they are demoralised by their coach.

83. habsguy says:

COACHING!!!!!!!!!!

84. observer says:

pathetic last 2 and a half minutes as habs couldnt carry the puck out of their own end! and subban the best one who can was sitting on the bench until 20 seconds left in game. price shutout leafs last time he played leafs – auld got beat by leafs last time vs leafs. brilliant moves by the coach GAUTHIER hired!

85. kmachabs27 says:

Sjostrom on the puck with 25 seconds left in the corner….3 habs surrounding him…… Sjostrom holds onto the till the 10 second mark…..is there something wrong wth that picture?

86. Thomas Le Fan says:

Not an excuse but the officiating was atrocious. If these guys can’t handle this game at full speed maybe we need to have video replay on EVERYTHING!

87. dallyd31 says:

Something is up with this team.  Either they are absolutely exhausted, or most are playing hurt.  I have never seen so many guys skate half speed, wave their sticks, half-ass battle for the puck, not move their feet, constant giveaways, foolishg mental erros etc.

This is not the team that we saw in the first half of the season.

I’m not one to complain about the refs, but they sure didn’t help the cause…they were awful.  BUT the Habs made their own fate…just a terrible, terrible effort.

88. observer says:

leafs arent as bad as fans on this board state thru their hatred. kessel when he’s playing is one helluva player. pathetic is the way habs played the last 2 and a half minutes. the forwards despite what gainey again said are too small. 5-5 habs are terrible because their small forwards can’t get in front of the net.

89. deuce6 says:

You look a little white, Dude..Need to get out in the sun more often, yo..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

90. observer says:

or maybe they know several will be gone by monday?

91. deuce6 says:

I wish PG had the gonads to waive Gomez..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

92. adam76 says:

Yep, its the fans fault.

93. Habnofear says:

Jeff,even I have problems with some of the dude’s you mention …but 1967 ,come on man,lol

94. kmachabs27 says:

there is no market for a power forward right now….cant just go out and get a power forward without giving up somebody….kostitsyn isnt enough….hes worth a bag of pucks.

95. Mr. Habs says:

It would be nice if Pleks could score a huge goal in the past few games.

96. Propwash says:

Nine………..Eleven.

97. observer says:

best thing to happen AS I SAID EARLIER TODAY – will force gauthier to make a big move.

98. observer says:

only way gauthiers ottawa coach and friend gets fired is when molson finally flushes gauthier and gainey.

99. kmachabs27 says:

u guys scored 3 goals on an empty net….conrgats…..congrats on makin the playoffs tooo…u guys r making it right? were 9 points clear and your 4 points out? seeeeeee yaaa just another dellusional laffers fan…..2004.

100. observer says:

maybe his special skates didnt arrive like mara?

101. observer says:

habs first goal after a bs icing call.

102. MontrealAtheist says:

The team with the idiot for coach lost … As for getting a Kessel in Montreal, first we would need to create some cap space by getting rid of the likes of Gomez, Gill and Hammer.

However, I’m afraid with JM at the helm even a team full of Kessels might not be enough. As long as PG and JM carry on Bob Gainey’s legacy we will never be more than a .500 team that has to struggle come end of season in order to get to 8th place and make the play-offs.

103. habsguy says:

if this game doesnt cost JM his job,  then he’s here forever,  never in all my years have I seen anything like this….nothing agaisnt Auld,  but you’re playing a team who is hot right now and you need points,  even an idiot should know,  you go with your best…Hammer had 28 minutes of icetime tonight !!!!!!

104. Mr. Habs says:

Martin will be here for another season. Since 1992 the life spand of Canadiens Heach Coach is 3 yrs.

105. smiler2729 says:

It’s time for Kirk Muller to take over. Teams take on the personality of their coach and this team is just itching to break out of the system, the boring no emotions robotic approach of JM and play the natural fiery competitiveness that is Muller. Who the hell starts Alex Auld in a must win home game against a lesser opponent???

Too many passengers on this team now, Gomez is soooo lost, sooooo useless, it hurts to watch as he gets top minutes. AK46, ’nuff said. Eller, a deer in headlights. Moen, miscast.

Desharnais and Pouliot, the most dynamic, exciting line are playing 7 minutes a game!!! WTF!

Hamrlik looks spent and will probably follow Spacek onto the IR soon…

I’ve given the benefit of the doubt but tonight was just disheartening.

106. habstrinifan says:

How the heck cacn anyone justify not only Maxwell but a 4th round pick.

107. tnerber says:

No one wins every game, but I think I would have left Auld in at 3-1 and given Carey the rest. I don’t think giving up Ben Maxwell for not much was a good idea. It must be that Pierre & Martin thinks that #4 & #5 defenceman will take him far in the playoffs. We still need a big forward though probably noit going to get him though. I hope we don’t overpay to try and get Penner.

108. olematelot says:

Yup and hire you, right.

109. observer says:

if carolina beats pittsburgh tomorrow they will be just 4 points behind the habs in same amount of games. meaning if they beat habs saturday it becomes 2 points over the 8th place team.

110. fbkj says:

or you could just go as a fan, well trade you for a reasonable leafs fan?

111. vic says:

Why not get a another goalie,we will need one

JG will not add anything more to this club.We need a power forward and wont get one.

JM will be here for his full contract and it will be the same b.s score a couple of goals and then protect

Take a shot and then get back on defence.

every offenceive player is down on points.

If we make the playoffs it will be over soon.

Refs can call cheap penalties against us because theres nothing comming from the bench

112. smiler2729 says:

Sportsnet reporting Spacek done for the season…

and the band played on.

113. MontrealAtheist says:

Can’t blame anyone for being demoralised by JM’s incompetency.

114. fbkj says:

agreed 3 of the goals were on unwarranted PP’s

115. habstrinifan says:

Careful… ooops… too late. . You cant speak truth in here… else you gonna be called a ‘leafs fan’.

116. ari says:

i guess we dont want boston to draft top five pick,more than that by monday things will get better in habs land,it is to much talking about possible trades and the focus is not there.

117. fbkj says:

we got 4 goals on your ubergoalie, you got two on ours

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ps: thats double

118. Jeff says:

Hello Ian, are u down South this Winter?

I thought u spent the Winter in Florida?

Don’t fret about the Habs, it’s only a game played by muti-millionaires that could care less what we think.

119. Habnofear says:

It’s the best thing that could of happened….now it’s clear TO ALL HAB FANS EVERYWHERE,this team can not play consistent hockey and are  a bad mixture of good hockey players that will never ever go anywhere together ,EVER!  AND THE COACHING ,SCOUTING DEPT. and Management  has too GO!

120. observer says:

yeah right! and politicians dont lie either! they’re just being political!

121. observer says:

as i said “martin was lying”! notice its announced after sopel was acquired as if the other teams didnt know anyway.

122. frankcasting says:

Once again, old Yoda Poirot leads the team to another loss with his unbelievably harebrained decisions to a) start Auld over a guy who is in Ron Wilson’s head with two SO this year (I mean seriously, what did Martin drink for dinner?),  and to continue to stick with Scott “My Future Lies in the AHL” Gomez  in critical situations. It is flabbergasting to say the least.

Ghost, I like your Sopel deal, I like your Wiz deal, ya done good. One more thing you gotta do. BUST OUT THE PLANK.

Loving the Habs since 1965

123. MontrealAtheist says:

The best thing that could happen to us is NOT to make the play-offs this year as this would force management to reevaluate our roster and hopefully our coach and trigger some real change. Heck, Gauthier himself should be traded away since he’s just acting like Bob Gainey’s puppet and let’s face it the Gainey GM era has been nothing but a disaster for our team.

We have too many weak links to mention and on top of that a coach who does not believe in physical presence or in offense and with this mindset you simply have no business playing in the NHL.

124. Jeff says:

A lot of crying here tonite, what happened?

Oh yah, the LEAFS beat your pretenders AGAIN!

Get nervous Hobbitt fans, the playoffs are not ensured.

Gee, where did Tommy, Bugsy, Berkshire et al go?

At the pub, drowning their sorrow.  Sorry Ian, the better team won tonite.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!  Komi said that…………

125. fbkj says:

why did you reply to this?

when there are so many more posts you remain silent?

126. LA Loyalist says:

An elite team mostly plays to its own standard of excellence, they hate to lose, they don’t give a crap who the opposing team is.

We play to the level of whomever we’re playing, it makes no freaking sense. The 2 points are the same 2 points.

Please explain. Mr. Happy (JM) makes my head hurt.

127. habs99 says:

I’m pissed as the next guy, but lets not jump on PG on his moves.  I will give him a mulligan this year, because of all our injuries on D.  I actually like his “patch-up” moves without giving up much…yes a 4th rounder is not much.  Anything outside of top 15 pick is as good as the remaning picks, unless you have a really really super talented pool of players to draft from.

I think considering the fact of the many stupid penatly calls (consipiracy theory or not) handicapped our depleted D.  Considering we just came back from a west coast road trip, i understood the reason for starting Auld.  Just not his night.  At some point Price needed a rest, Sat vs hurricanes, then next week against atl were big games too, this seemed like the best time considering the west swing.

What puzzled me is that I heard of the Sopel trade around noon.  They couldnt get him to Mtl in 7 hours?!?!

Yes its come to this, needing sopel to fill in.  Injuries are hurting us bad and PK might be injured too. Didnt look the same after he missed a shift or two.

128. deuce6 says:

As frustrated I am with the outcome of this game, lets just move on and focus on Saturday’s game against the Canes..We need a big 2 points before heading on the road to ATL and the sunshine state..

Gomez is useless as tits on a bull..He’s there but has no use..Why PP time?

Sopel will help the PK…

Pretty shitty performance defensively, tonight…I think all 5 goals were created from players being in front of our tender…

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

129. smiler2729 says:

LOL!!!! Perfect cuz it’s going to happen just like that.  And then he’ll flap his ears and fly away (Ben Stiller Family Guy)

130. Fabio D says:

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C…2 Teams on the ice tonight. One team sitting in the play off picture for most of the season getting by on solid goaltending and little offence and the other struggling to get into the playoff picture and courtesy of wins over their division rivals may make it.

No excuse not to beat teams like the Make believes. Habs as usual are looking like a bunch of guys who are going through the motions and if they win a few games along the way, cools the criticism they’ll face.

Gathier has not impressed as a GM. These “trades” have done nothing to push this team over the hump while rivals in the East have bolstered their already potent rosters. The vaunted youth movement has not impressed and will be long gone before this team is in a position to contend for anything.

Where’s the trade for the goal scorer and game breaker Gauthier?

Price will be gone when this contract is up, fed up with being left all alone in his own end, shell shocked with shots and no offensive support. Subban will continue to improve and jump ship when the money is right. Whose left to push this team to the next level?

I’m not seeing any kind of playoff miracle this year, if these guys even have enough to hold on to a spot. At this rate they won’t.

Pretty sad when the Leafs can bring it to the Habs every game they play and the Habs fold like a worn out deck of cards.

Far from impressed with this team.

131. AH says:

Play like crap against the Oilers and the Flames, then beat the best team in the league,they should have been pumped to pound these loser Leafs and get on a roll, but no…another suckfest to a garbage team!! This team rarely ever looks prepared to play 2 strong games in a row and that to me is all on the COACHING STAFF. Leafs, Oilers, Islanders; do you really think we have a chance against the Bruins and the Flyers?, ha!, not with this coaching staff!

132. fbkj says:

he wasnt lying he was being a professional coach

you have issues

133. slapshot777 says:

I bet his press conference should be brilliant.

Question: What happened tonight coach, team looked flat.

Martin: I don’t know I thought we played some good parts in the game.

Question: What did you think about the officiating?

Martin: We have to learn to be more discipline, I can’t complain about the officiating.

Question: Are you a moron?

Martin: Why I believe I am.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

134. dallyd31 says:

Actually…Sopel. Kovalev is terrible, and Sopel is a solid, rugged defensive defenseman, who is a great shot blocker and PK guy.  You saw how our PK is working lately, as well as our defensive zone coverage…just brutal.  With all of our injuries on D, we need all the help we can get in our own end.

135. habstrinifan says:

Don’t fret. According to HIO favourite Apron Basu JM is great with young players. One of his methods is to make sure they are not overworked. So DD comes out smoking in Vancouver and gets what??? and then tonight.

I suspect Muller is just running the season out and then he will be outta here.

136. Habnofear says:

So,you really want to get baned again,lol

137. joeybarrie says:

Waive Gomez, he is the reason we are losing.

Jm should be fired cause of this game, he is the reason we are losing.

Pleks doesn’t score big goals, he is the reason we are losing.

Hamr cant play anymore, he is the reason we are losing.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Sound like a bunch of babies……..

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

138. observer says:

making a lot of money but injured.

139. Jeff says:

What about 1986, u must know that ’93 doesn’t count?  Ha! Ha!

140. vic says:

How long have we needed a power forward? and what has been done about it>zip

141. LA Loyalist says:

Wow. That’s  a really interesting and scary point. Losing Muller right after losing Boucher could be interpreted as management not giving a royal crap about winning and just maintaining the status quo (with Mr. .500 at the helm).

What a depressing thought.

142. Jeff says:

Come on fellas, several goals tonite couldn’t be stopped by both Roy & Brodeur in the nets at the same time.

This could have been a real goal fest if it were not for both goalies, especially your goalie who is the only reason u guys are in the playoffs.

This is summed up succinctly by realizing that the Habs are pretenders and the Leafs are not contenders but head & shoulders above your group of Smurfs.

You may make the playoffs but really…..a repeat of last season with no Halak?  Not a chance! U used your mulligan.

I’ll help, there is a post here that predicts the future of Soobie & the Princess…read it and weep or get PG to read it and get something for your team before it happens.

Short term, Sopel will help but considering the futures of Markov, well PG has to do something anything…

Screw the American teams!

143. Everlasting1 says:

In defense of JM, of course he should give Gomer the ice-time, late game and all. He’s not getting 8mill a year to sit on the bench or get sent down to Hamilton. How would that look on Gainey/Goatier? :-P

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

144. LA Loyalist says:

Some great points. We’re lucky to have scooped Mara and Sopel (and no they’re not Savard and Lapointe, hell, they’re not even Craig Ludwig and Rick Green) but one of the reasons Gill and Spacek and inevitably Hammer as you say are getting tweaked is they’re playing too many minutes, and in JM’s system, which calls for us to spend 19 minutes a period in our own end, it’s too much.

As for Gomez, it’s no secret my opinion of him. AK is a great disapointment, Eller should be in Hamilton playing big minutes and learning his trade.

And I think you’re right, DD and Poo and creative and exciting. That’s got to be pissing Mr. Happy (JM) off for sure.

145. observer says:

the market is now different! there are a bunch of teams in financial difficulty who will unload players to cut costs – that is who you try to deal with like pitts did with dallas.

146. MontrealAtheist says:

I called it long time ago … with JM at the helm we will never be more than a .500 team that has to fight for 8th place towards the end of the season and struggle to make the play-offs. With the way things are going we’ll be lucky to get 8th place and have another play-offs date with the Flyers.

People should forget about passing the Bruins and making 1st place in the division, the Bruins are currently miles ahead of us really.

147. fbkj says:

hows halak doing?

148. observer says:

maxwell had his chances in isnt much.

149. fbkj says:

putting yourself in his company doesnt bolster your cred man

150. observer says:

maybe sopel would have not moved out of the way of that shot/goal leafs scored tonight like subban the rookie did?

151. habs99 says:

to be honest, where are we getting this PF from?  and for what?  Subban?  Lets be realistic, everyone in the league knows we need a PF, so you tihnk its going to be cheap?

I would rather PG stand pat instead of giving up too much for a run that admittedly will be tough with markov, jorges and spacek, UNLESS he gets a player that will be here for long.

Simple,

the team that can not keep up to the opposition takes more penalties, and the team that takes more penalties loses.

OK J. Martin, how do you put us into a position of being successful.? The ball is in your court Jacques.!

I hate saying this, but we were beaten by a better team tonight coach.

153. LA Loyalist says:

Cammi’s Quebec (separated) shoulders is a really serious injury, he probably won’t be great until the playoffs, but that’s when we’ll need him.

I, among others, have been frustrated with him this year but we have to be patient in this particular situation. Problem is we have so little firepower that the pressure is on.

154. montrealtilldeath says:

Nonsense! We were shoving them right out of the rink until the stupid penalty by the Wiz as he got caught staying on too long on the powerplay AGAIN. That changeed the momentum.

155. Hali_Hab says:

This team is too hard to watch for various reasons …. its just pathetic

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“ Guy Lafleur.

156. smiler2729 says:

The Fans have spoken.

We watch the games too, though sometimes we suffer from kneejerkism when it comes to reaction, we can also take a breath, chug a beer and assess from afar after all is said and done.

JACQUES MARTIN (aka Mr.500, The Count, Keeper Of The System, etc…) MUST GO.

Misreading the opponents, starting a cold backup for a hot game, watching the piss poor Special Teams sputter, giving the wrong players ice time, showing no emotions when officials screw ya over and over, these are areas where a coach makes the difference!

The time for Kirk Muller has come

157. Aaron13 says:

JM starts Auld in a situation where it was not back-to-back games. When I heard that Auld would be starting, I knew it would be a recipe for disaster. The first two goals he let in were weak. On the third, he was partially screened so I’ll let that pass.

What coach in his right mind, game after game, keeps a defensive pair on the ice for 90 seconds in a 5 on 5 situation or on the PP? Hamrlik and Wiz were running on vapors, leading to giveaways behind our net and goal(s).

Why isn’t Picard being played? He’s bigger and stronger than Weber, who is faster, but can’t out-muscle opposing forwards behind the net.

JM will never get the picture. He must go.

Contrary to the belief of others, every point does count. Will we be in a situation like last year where we’ll have to wait for a shootout between two other teams before we make the playoffs?

158. LTHF says:

Win in Van  and lose at home to the leafs>   Whose to blame, the players.  the coaches or both. Something wrong somewhere!   What a coaching move by martin to call a time out with 10.1 sec remaining and faceoff in the mtl end.  Not many coaches would think of doing that!  With that kind of coaching and the additions of Sopel and Mara the Habs will be unstoppable  for remainder of the season.

159. 12cournoyer says:

This team is a joke please!

Losses to Edmonton, New York, Toronto and Buffalo, with only one win against Vancouver in which we only won because Price stood on his head!

What deal is going to change this team?

Our D is slow, old and inexperienced. Our offense is small and impotent. Sopel will help but we need far more wholescale changes. Despite the refs, the Leafs had an AHL goalie and an AHL lineup and we looked like idots out there. From the coach down we need changes.

I am sick of these idiots.

Return to Glory

160. fileextension says:

it was a very exciting game. it kept me hanging on the edge of my seat. wow!

<a href=”http://www.fileextensions.net”>file extension</a>

161. ZimHabwe says:

Somehow, I feel if we played the exact same game as last night with less penalties, you all would be singing a different tune. We had more 5 on 5 puck possession and more scoring chances with a few unlucky misses. These things happen. Toronto got the lead they needed in the first period, never looked back and made sure to protect their goalie as much as possible. At the end of the night we lost by a difference of one goal to Toronto at home. Vancouver lost by a difference of one goal to Montreal at home and I’m sure it sucks because Vancouver is the better team just like we are the better team against Toronto. These things happen.

I am not angry like I normally would. And l probably have 101 theories why we lost like most of you have. But I’ll let this one slide and stay positive.

Just my thoughts

162. Displaced says:

Ok, but…

1. Don’t play Auld in meaningful games.  We’re 3-5-2 in the last 10, 6th in the east, 9 points up from 9th.  What games are NOT meaningful?  If we play Price the rest of the way to preserve a playoff spot, he’ll be exhausted for the playoffs.  SOLUTION: PG trades for a backup netminder.

2. NHL officials are out to get us.  The refs Sucked (yes, with a capital “S”) and the game was the worse for it.  Leafs didn’t ice the puck on our first goal.  Gionta didn’t trip someone at the blueline.  Komi should have been called for mugging.  Plecs and Komi could have both been sent off.  SOLUTION:  The NHL should bench refs for calling miserable games.  Imagine Gregson and Campbell having to do post-game interviews like coach.  “Yeah, we sucked out there and we need to make some changes before the next game…”

3. JM’s gotta go.  Three weeks ago in the midst of a three-game winning streak against, JM’s system was a perfect match for these players and we touted his career statistics.  Lose Seven of Nine (smile) and the “JM’s gotta go” chant is deafening.  I’m not a Martin fan, but maybe we are a .550 team, playing too long without key players to expect more than this right now. SOLUTION: Wait ’til next year. JM’s third with the club, PG’s second full season.  If things don’t improve, he’ll have one year left on his contract and PG can buy time for “HIS” rebuild.

4. Gomez sucks.  Very few players are worth what he makes and yes, it stresses is our cap situation.  Sucks is a strong word.  If Stillman is worth anything, than Scotty doesn’t suck.  On any nominal playoff team (say, LA), he gets 14-17 minutes per game and is probably the second centre on the PP and PK and would be touted as an valuable vet-type at this time of the year. SOLUTION: Hello Los Angeles… you can have him and AK for a first and prospect, ok a second that upgrades to a first if you win a series.

5. And, speaking of trades… PG’s trades leaves one wanting. According to Apron, this ain’t our year, so don’t mortgage the future.  Agreed.  A fourth, fifth and Maxwell (Wiz for a second made sense.  We were playing for something then and PG got good value, IMO) are marginally inconsequential and we would lost Maxwell as a FA, if I understand the CBA.  But Mara and Sopel don’t bring much.  If PG wants to make low-risk, low-cost trades – fine.  But at a minimum he should sell our scrap to recover some assets too.  Better to get a 4th or 5th for Halpern or Moen than letting them walk for nothing a la Koivu, Komi and Kovy and Tanguay.  JM’s love fest with Pyatt and White’s recent play offer some suggested replacements.  If PG really wanted to put HIS stamp on this team (his key acquisitions as GM are Eller — yawn — and Wiz.) he should move the players he doesn’t believe in and start building.  It pains me to add this part and may the hockey gods curse my skates for saying this, but Brian Burke for his many fallings (Kessel, yeah yeah four points) and annoyingly large personality manages to create robust markets for his assets.  I mean come on, a rental, never-won-anything like Kaberle with a NTC only willing to go to Boston and Burke gets a real prospect and a first.  Philly pays a first plus to play Versteeg on their third line.  Beauchemin for a first and prospect.  PG’s personality and lack of willingness to leverage the media minimizes his ability to create markets for his players.

6. Habs/Leafs is not a rivalry.  Yeah right, and the HIO servers just crash after games due to too much traffic —- oh, wait.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

163. montrealtilldeath says:

Totally agree with every thing. The opponent was the Leafs. DO YOU UNDERSTAND JM THE LEAFS? REPEAT AFTER ME JM “THE LEAFS”. SAY IT AGAIN “THE LEAFS”……..THE LEAFS… Remember our history. When asked to put on a Leafs jersey the Rocket said “no” the first time and when badgered further to do it he almost slugged the guy. When we play the leafs its all hands on deck, no prisoners. Calgary/Edmonton who have a shorter rivalry history than we do with THE LEAFS the fans would never accept a number 2 goalie  starting. Some one asked me what I would do if he gave me LEAF tickets. I told him if they were not playing Montreal I would throw them in the garbage. If I watch any LEAF game its to see them lose. When I grew up surrounded by that blue and white shit and had to verbally fight to exist as a Canadiens fan. MONTREALTILLDEATH AND BEYOND. Starting Auld once against Toronto I just can’t say “is forgiveable” but twice!  JM does not understand what it means to coach Les Glorieux (I hope that spelling is correct)/

Really pissed!!!!

164. homerbowen says:

Every effort should be made to move some of our small players. We have too many for one team and the playoffs, if we make them, will be a disaster as we won’t sneek up on any one this time.

JM must go. No ifs ands or buts he is not with it.

Gomez should be sent to the minors next year as he is dead weight and a poor example for our younger players.

165. RC-51 says:

Jaro’s season is over!

166. Duracell3 says:

They might be better next year without injuries, oh well, its the blues.

167. dre1744 says:

oh well    thats  so sad!!!!!!!!

168. GhostRider says:

Yeah the ref’s are really squeezing the life out of this one tonight.  A couple horrendous calls.  The first one on Gionta comes to mind.  He had a two on one the other way once he (fairly) stole the puck.

As an aside….Is Price really going to have to play every game?  Never thought I’d say this, but maybe PG should be looking at a backup right about now.

By the way…I’m calling Pouliot with the game winner right now.

169. habstrinifan says:

One hundered percent right on the Gionta penalty.. it was a great play by Gionta and is textbook how a small player should use his ‘stature’ to get below the bigger player’s comfort level.

Was a dumb call by the ref.

170. Flobomb12 says:

I have been seeing hammer with Wiz on top pp unit the last couple games. There is no way Subban shouldn’t be with Wiz.  Those are our two best offensive d-men. I really have never got JM’s coaching.  Gomez, 0 points again tonight and yet out there every second shift down the stretch there while we goals.  Oh JM, still pushing that rock up that hill i see.

171. habstrinifan says:

If you listened to JM’s answer to Andy from Team990 when she aimed some pointed questions at him, you would see why JM treats Subban as a problem.

172. P.Royfan says:

why? cause with auld in net it woulda been 8-1

173. adam76 says:

Why did they not put Auld back for the second period?  The whole point of this meaningless game was to give Price a night off – instead he plays over 50 mins.

We fail at failing.

174. Laramy87 says:

Leafs have to havve thier best game of the season against our backup goalie to win. If Price Starts habs win this game. Auld was just not ready for this game.

The refs cost us this one too. Gionta first penalty was terrible, it was a good scoring chance but nope a lift of the stick is a penalty…

We are still 9 points up on 9th place, i have no fear we will miss the playoffs, we just need to turn up the notch a bit

175. habstrinifan says:

Thu, 02/24/2011 – 22:15.

This is what this site has come to. Instead of being honest about our team we ascribe every one of our losses to fluke.

176. observer says:

price got credit for the loss after 3-3. leafs also hurt by officials  as bs icing then habs score on faceoff back to hamrlick deflected for goal. gauthier is now forced to do something – this loss is the best thing to happen.

177. Habmadrid says:

We are out shooting teams of late (bar van) but defense is sloppy, today gill and webber cost us two goals and auld needs to be replaced. Like what i see from young players, including webber ( bad last two games) ham, gill, gomez and ak must improve. No good trade available for undervalued stock so let ak improve and trade off season, too up and mostly down.

178. habstrinifan says:

Same here.

179. shiram says:

Kovalev is still getting paid alot, adding him would basically mean we cannot ad anyone else.

Hopefully this means there is a move coming…

180. kirkiswork says:

Kudos to Gauthier, Kovalev is a cancer.

181. LA Loyalist says:

One of my happy places will always be Kovalev decapitating Darcy Tucker, so for that and his occasional flashes of brilliance I wish him well.

Imagine if he’d really tried how much he could have done. It’s sad, really.

182. Chuck says:

The joke’s on Ottawa. Next year the draft is moving to six rounds.   :)

183. Psycho29 says:

I went and told my Senator fan co-worker that they traded Kovy to the Pens. He said “I hope they got a bag of pucks for him”…….I told him he wasn’t far off!!!

184. SmartDog says:

The Sens are getting nuthin for their cast-aways… they’re stock-piling late round picks.

That team is doomed.

185. TomNickle says:

He’s thinking that giving up a 7th round pick for a guy we can’t afford to add is a move that isn’t allowed by the NHL even if he wanted to do it.

186. sg81 says:

KOVALEV FOR A 7th? Wow what in GOD’s name in Gauthier thinking? I am actually speechless at the Habs not putting in a better offer for this guy.

187. habs365 says:

we’ll see come saturday

188. Habmadrid says:

not to worry….5th seed, 1st round victory against TB, then, anything goes…time to back this team.

good trade today! Defense much improved for 4th rnd pick, p.k more on pp, gill less on ice (i hope) and hamilton wins their division giving younsters confidence

189. LeeFree says:

Forget about a ‘big forward’ acquisition by Monday; hopefully when I enter these boards tomorrow Martin would be fired. Oh how I wish. He’s a 500 coach at best. I’ve been saying this like forever!

190. montrealtilldeath says:

Totally agree. As I said earlier how could JM not start Price in a game against the leafs. I do not care if the leafs are in last place this is a bitter rivalry and a loss to them is unacceptable. We gave away 2 points that will come back to haunt us. This Hamerlik Wiz thing at the end of the game and on every power play. The worst thing that can happen is to have something good happen when you are doing something wrong and that was that combination scoring on the powerplay. It perpetuated JM coming back and expecting more.  They were on the ice for 1 minute and 30 seconds at the end of the game when we still had a chance to win. Michel Bergeron said it best on the Antichambre “Un minute et 30 seconds et rein !” They could not get the puck out. I was commenting earlier in the day to a friend that this combination is the worst defensive pair we have at getting the puck out of our zone. The Wiz has a nice shot and passes well but he is not that good in our own end. Do a review of all the game footage and you will see what I am saying is true.  He is also slow.

191. smiler2729 says:

These players deserve a better ‘system’. They want to play hockey from the scorers to the checkers to the grinders. They need their roles defined for them.

It’s not that they lost tonight to the Laffs, it’s how they lost… it’s a carbon copy of all their recent games. If they score first, they protect. If the opposition scores first, they play it tight WAITING for an opportunity. They basically hope their goaltender saves them.

They take too many penalties and when bad officiating is to blame, the head coach shows absolutely ZERO emotion.

This team no longer plays to win, they play not to lose.

192. observer says:

“They basically hope their goaltender saves them”—- exactly like last years playoffs and what crosby said. that is gauthier/martin’s strategy. WELL he better do something big in next 4 days because if not this team wont win 1 round and gauthier will be FIRED! maybe the best thing!

193. observer says:

here’s hoping kostitsyn and moen are wearing some other team’s jersey next week.

194. rogieshan says:

Well, Eller definitely looks more comfortable at centre. His willingness to play low creates more room for Kostitsyn and Moen in front of the net.

Here’s hoping Sopel replaces Weber(and not Mara)in the lineup.

195. Say Ash says:

Too bad about AK. I was all set to go to the Sunday night vigil at the Bell.

196. PureGuava says:

I’d go Gomer and a 2nd rounder for Koivu.

“Of course I’m crazy, but that doesn’t mean I’m wrong.” – Robert Anton Wilson

197. TomNickle says:

Kovalev’s off the market.  Cue the Koivu rumours.

198. Habmadrid says:

no panic…but contemplate stanford being called up…auld gets cold

199. Everlasting1 says:

Pass the bong..

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

200. Pattyice says:

Amen brother!!!!!!!!

201. TomNickle says:

Damn.  He had more than “more to come”

I got the headline right though.

202. gohabsgo25 says:

classic dude your right

203. TomNickle says:

Okay.  Before going to Eklund’s website I would bet a bottle of scotch that he has a headline saying Kovalev to Pens(E4) and the link goes to an article saying “more to come”.

And that’s it.

204. habs365 says:

I would make a deal with any team out there for a young center that could score 20-25 goal’s..for Gomez and 2 1st rounders …… wishful thinking

205. PureGuava says:

Ya ya…The guy hasn’t played with a number one center in 5 seasons, and still produces!

206. Trisomy 21 says:

Although we do have enough headaches with Gomez, Kovalev is merely a rental and comes with points similar to what Gomez produces, with a higher +/- and as we all know, loved montreal. He could possibly play with a motivation similar to when he had his smoking season with montreal…. But i guess since it’s Kovalev, it’s also possible we see him give 50%

207. TomNickle says:

I’m gonna need you to get out of my office.  Listening in on what I say aloud to myself and then posting on this site as your own is low rent!  ;)

208. KenD29 says:

produces what, headaches?!

Tonight we skate with them, Tonight is our night!

209. observer says:

only an idiot gm and in this case 2 of them would trade for gomez’ contract.

210. Dennis says:

Maybe Brent Sopel is more disciplined about taking penalties. And maybe he’ll end up with more goals than Scott Gomez. http://dennis-kane.com/a-sorry-night-in-habsland/

211. SeriousFan09 says:

Cowen is still a long-term project, it’s taken him two years to get back to where he was before his knee injury in some ways. He had a major leap forward in juniors this year compared to last season which was essentially his rehab season. It’s going to take him time, ACL injuries for a prospect are just devastating.

Depends who finishes last, EDM would be idiots not to take Larsson, they need a blue-chipper who could be their No. 1 defencemen.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

212. SeriousFan09 says:

Their loss, any team that favours itself a rising power needs a No. 1 defencemen, Larsson fits the bill for that.

The thing about Cowen having those problems is that they’re typical for an 18-year old defencemen, a defencemen (especially a big defencemen growing into his body) generally takes longer to develop and grow into an NHL-capable player. Cowen’s knee injury had him getting back to where he was, rather than where he should be today. People have become too expectant for 18-year old Ds to be Drew Doughty.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

213. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s not dominant because his knee wrecked his developmental curve. Look at Quailer over at Northeastern, guy’s having a season far weaker than his rookie campaign as he tries to get back to where he was. Quailer’s going to have to max out his NCAA hockey time just to get himself back to where he should be this season.

The big players can have a hard time adjusting to being their size, toss in a knee injury that costs 6 months of rehab and a year of playing time to get back to where you were before and it’s nasty. I know Cowen isn’t ruling the WHL but he had the bad luck of incurring one of the worst injuries in sports as a prospect.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

214. Mike T says:

It’s not neccessarily an issue with Russians not coming over that I have. How many high touted Russians have been busts in the last 8 years? Aside from Ovie and Malkin…Burmistrov played in the CHL. I would draft Russians out of the CHL because they’re serious enough about North American Hockey, and grow in the game instead of having to be converted from strictly offensive players to 2-way forwards.

You’re basing a guy entirely off of ONE tournament. Rundblad has 44 pts in 50 games this year. The only knock on his game is how he is in his defensive zone, it’s a common knock on young d-men. (IE PK) Tarasenko put up less pts this year in the KHL than he did this year (19 pts in 42 games) I’m sure I’m not alone saying that your argument is a little unreasonable.

The weak argument is that Ottawa essentially traded Tarasenko for Rundblad. They would not have even neccessarily drafted Tarasenko if they had held the pick. All in all, time will tell who will have a better career. I’d place my money on Rundblad who will likely pair up with Karlsson in Ottawa.

215. TomNickle says:

It’s a weak argument to say that a kid who rallied his team from a 3-0 deficit in one period, on north american soil is better choice from a prospect perspective than a defenseman who is weak defensively?

For every Russian that doesn’t come over, there are 20 who do.  There’s a better chance that Tarasenko ends up like Semin than there is that Rundblad ends up like Lidstrom.

216. TomNickle says:

Cowen is playing against inferior competition and making these mistakes Robert.  At his age, he should be dominant in his league.  He’s not.

I have no NHL aspirations for him in the next 24 months.  But for me to get excited about a prospect, he should be dominant as an older junior player who has the pedigree that he does.

On Edmonton.  They should absolutely take Larsson #1 overall.  But they’re trying to re-create the Gretzky days by adding as much fire power as possible.

217. Mike T says:

It’s a weak argument you’re making in the first place. They essentially traded anyone who was available when it was their selection.

It’s the Pierre Mcguire – Zach Parise argument all over again.

The only Russians I would draft moving forward would be those who played in the CHL

218. TomNickle says:

They’re taking Nugent-Hopkins.  He’ll be the consensus #1 at the draft and they’ll throw him in between Hall and Paajarvi.

Cowen had these same problems that I mentioned prior to his injury is something that I’d like to add.  They want him to develop into a Pronger.  It’s much more likely that he’ll develop into an O’Brien.

219. TomNickle says:

That Russian almost single handedly erased a 3-0 lead in the Gold Medal game at the WJHC.

220. Mike T says:

Rundblad is having a HUGE year in the Swedish Elite League. I’ll take a highly touted Swede over a Russian anyday of the week. You, as a hab fan, should understand.

221. SeriousFan09 says:

They’re in the draft lottery, which means a shot at Landeskong, Couturier or Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, excellent building blocks. With Rundblad, Wiercioch and Cowen in their system and developing Karlsson they have a fairly good starting place for their D-core as well.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

222. TomNickle says:

They essentially traded Tarasenko for Runblad.  Terrible move.  Also, watching Cowen at the WJHC, I wouldn’t be so enthused about his prospects.  In all but one game, he couldn’t complete a ten foot pass and often missed his checks.

Adam Larsson will go #2 in the draft.  And that’s likely to be their pick.

223. mbplekfan says:

so your criteria for grabbing players is their ethnicity? glad youre not in charge.

224. Mike T says:

I’d take Steve Bernier also.

Very upset we didn’t take on Zherdev, as he’s very cheap and only signed till the end of the year. He’s a younger/cheaper Kovalev.

225. gohabsgo25 says:

according to Bob Mckenzie

Zherdev Cleared Waivers

i would love pg to grab steve bernier he was just placed on waivers, he is french and i think he would love playing here.

226. TomNickle says:

When the published article comes about 3 minutes after the trade making news.  I think it’s fair to say that coincidence can be thrown out the window.

Oh, and he seems to think that putting an update in bold font will convince people that it came after the rumour he was about to publish in regular thickness.

227. TomNickle says:

It’s obvious he published that whole thing immediately after the Kovalev deal broke.

He threw a temper tantrum last month because some people accused him of ripping breaking news off of twitter and posting it as his own.  Said that anybody who accused him of that would be banned from his site.

Hilarious.

228. SmartDog says:

Now he’s taking credit for it.  LMAO

I noted about an hour ago that he didn’t even have ANY update on his site since yesterday afternoon.  What a lyin’ sack-o-ship he is.

229. TomNickle says:

Through 64 games played this season, the Habs have had more powerplays than their opponents 16 times.

It’s time for Geoff Molson to get on the phone to Terry Gregson and have a little chat.

230. HabsFansince49 says:

MARTIN 5 HABS 4

The Canadiens will not make the playoffs with Martin coaching

231. slapshot777 says:

The refs were the major reason for the outcome tonight, period. The Habs on the other hand are playing like they are comfortably in the playoffs. I guess nobody checks the standings. What was that bozo Jm calling a timeout with 10 seconds to play. What miracle play do you have for a 10 second play with the faceoff in your zone. What a moron.

Jm has got to start giving it to the officials. Time and time agian all season, he has been giving the refs an easy pass on brutal calls on the Habs. What’s with his hands in his pockets, are they sewn in his pockets or what.

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high.

232. habs365 says:

the main reason for the outcome tonight..toronto scored more goals

233. HabFanSince72 says:

In this case most people are using the Kovy trade as an opportunity to slander a player who gave us a lot of good times.

234. theremster says:

I agree, he cant do anything unless the play is set up for him. Absoluetely no effort from him tonight, JM shoulda benched him for the third.

235. Duracell3 says:

He will be a FA after 2013-14, so 3 more seasons.

236. Grallis says:

Just a quick question.. How much longer is Gomez’s contract? The guy is brutal, when Bozak is making you look bad….nuff said.

237. habs365 says:

not a big deal..the Habs will make the playoffs or they won’t..not a thing we can do about it..and if they do..don’t expect miracles..we can’t score the big goals and it’s gonna cost us…….

238. Displaced says:

Zehrdev for nothing at $2m per year is better than Kovy for the last pick in the draft at $5m per year.  I can’t understand how GM’s trip over to trade actually assets for players with less talent and then fall asleep at the switch on a player like Zherdev.  It’s also nutty that Vancouver or PG hasn’t made some move for Rivet.  A good character guy like Craig can’t be worse than Mara for a 5th.

Can someone explain this stuff?

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

239. arcosenate says:

But despite his lack of playing time, Zherdev has 15 goals in 47 games. While the Flyers may not have been happy with his effort on a consistent basis, there’s no questioning Zherdev’s skill. He’s being paid $2 million this season and could be a quick fix for a team desperate for goal production.

LOL, sound like any team we might know?

240. observer says:

if nashville could do that good with sergi dont you think they think and sergi is telling them “trade for my brother he is better than me and the coach there is ruining him like he and gainey ruined me”. or ribeiro. or latendresse?

241. habs99 says:

dude give it a rest…you dont like gainey or PG.  ok we get that, but really ribero the faking on ice loser?  Latendresse, please, thats the answer to your problems.

Give this for a thought….habs get blown out by bos in playoffs, instead of standing pat, gainey gets rid of 10 players, changes up shop and we make it to the conference finals.

Fine, they are not “tall and big” players but they are not growing on trees either.   aside from gomez, i like the acquisitions.  If its true that gomez brought the other guys like cammy and gionta then so be it..cuz these guys love being in mtl and they want to win and they show they want to win.

Im sorry but the tanguays, kovalevs of the world werent doing it…so whats the issue, really?

is it cuz halak was your boy and you miss him?  like cmon, give it up already.

242. Habs_Fan_In_Edmonton says:

Haha, and now his new response is how he was in the middle of writing his article when the trade broke. Hmm, how conveniant. It blows my mind that people buy into this

243. TomNickle says:

Haha.  Eklund writes “ I am hearing that Kovalev to Pittsburgh is very close. The Pens have upped and there is one team who could still counter”.

Now if ever there was proof that this guy is a total hack.  Pittsburgh upped their offer to a 7th round pick?  What the hell was the first offer, Malkin’s 4 year old socks?

244. Tremblant Habs Fan says:

I hope Lupul is quicker tonight taking off his chin strap!

245. RGM says:

Why is it that every single time a player is traded–every single time–there’s so much hand-wringing going on about how if only we had stepped in we could have had such a player?

Honestly, even when Lapierre was traded away somebody probably posted that PG should have stepped in and offered a pick for him.

246. _Habsoloutly_ says:

A 7th rounder! Wow, Pitts got robbed!  =)

247. PureGuava says:

Kovalev for a 7th rounder to Pitts. Way to go PG, could have had a great player for peanuts.

248. RGM says:

Mikko is 6’2″, 200lbs.

Not exactly a small centre.

249. alexspencer says:

We need a big centre, not a Koivu. Love him though. I would trade GOmez for Koivu straight-up

250. Bill J says:

Only a idiot poster would be blind to see, it took a equally idiotic GM to sign Gomez to that contract.

Kinda like Only an idiot trades 2 first round picks for Kessel – specially when your team is in rebuilding mode.