Game 60: Flames freeze out Canadiens

Flames’ Rene Bourque scores the first goal of the Heritage Classic against Carey Price on Sunday night. Andre Ringuette, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Sunday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits/About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Game story

AUDIO: Carey Price 1 and 2 | Tomas Plekanec | James Wisniewski | Paul Mara

• At a Glance: The horrible ice at McMahon Stadium was slanted only one way on Sunday night as the Calgary Flames defeated the Canadiens 4-0 during the 2011 Heritage Classic. Rene Bourque scored 8:09 into the game when he redirected an Alex Tanguay pass beyond Carey Price during a 5-on-3 power play. In the second period, the Flames scored a pair of goals two minutes apart to seal the win. Anton Babchuk scored a shorthanded goal after a miscue in the Montreal zone 12:44 into the second period. Bourque scored his second of the game at 14:46 when he broke in on Price and avoided the goaltender’s poke check and slid the puck under Price’s outstretched pad. Tanguay added salt to the wound in the third period with a power-play goal of his own at the 10:53 mark.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens outshot the Flames 21-11 in the second period, but were outscored 2-0, ending any hope the Canadiens have of winning the game.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost three straight and falls to 31-22-7 and remains stuck at 69 points, good for sixth place in the Eastern Conference. The Canadiens have been outscored 8-1 over the last two games in Western Canada.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are headed west to play the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday before returning home to host the Toronto Maple Leafs next Thursday.

1. observer says:

60% currently want cherry to stay. need to vote-often!!!!!!!!

2. JohnBellyful says:

PK, what’s with these slapshot passes?

3. observer says:

they better do something – the power play sucks right now. besides other things.

4. duffy says:

They announced all officials are from the west ,is there any doubt who will win .

5. Da Hema says:

I like “if grasshoppers carried 45s, birds wouldn’t mess with them.”

6. Mattyleg says:

Ha!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. Danno says:

Tried that. The thing is stuck at 60 per cent

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

8. Storm Man says:

I hope PG calls Dallas as it seems James Neal is on the market and Dallas is looking for a young puck moving Dman and pick in return. Weber and a 1st round pick works for me. Now Im off to the game :) Go Habs Go Sec 102 is the place to be:)…

9. novahab says:

Pittsburg is hurting big time and there no sign of Crosby coming back soon could they be interested in Gomez. A team that was so strong down the middle is now in trouble down the middle. Then there is still the under neath your breath rumors Crosby wants to play in Montreal. I have meet, talked and worked with Crosby’s dad Troy and he is a very strong influence in Sidney’s life. If the truth was spoken Troy would want his son in Montreal.

10. Mark C says:

Now we’re talking. James Neal makes Dustin Penner look like a hobo.

11. observer says:

dallas gainey. he would be a great addition here. chi leads pitts after 1 if win within 2 points of calgary and te rest at 68 which includes dallas.

12. scrowe21 says:

thats so yesterday…

13. kmachabs27 says:

this is pathetic….no one is skating.

14. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeah, just like Markov.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

15. HABZ24 says:

crosby to mtl? ya what you smokin in that pipe? lol, ya and wayne gretzky and the easter bunny will be his line mates. this outdoor game is a novelty thats run its course, but its interesting with the elements like minus ten.we need this road win, dropping to many road pts.

16. savethepuck says:

I wouldn’t like to lose Weber. Him and PK will be 2 of our top 6 D next year with a minimum Cap hit. Give him more time to develop for sure.  Neal is a good young player for sure, but it seems that whenever it is mentioned that someone may be available, someone on here says we should get him. Not referring to Neal but, it seems when a name is mentioned people think< I recognize that name, we should get him, no mateer what kind of fit they would be or whether or not they are any better than what we have now filling the same role.

17. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s the team captain of LA and one of their top offensive players, plus LA has about the deepest prospect pool of defencemen in the NHL. They’d hang up the phone on that pretty fast.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

18. hab_skill says:

I would love the habs to trade for Dustin Brown. Hits hard and scores goals. Weber, maxwell and a first for Brown?

19. JohnBellyful says:

And no verse in French for the Canadian anthem. Wonder where the order came from.

20. habs365 says:

That would be a good pick up..don’t think LA would go for it

21. BJT says:

That’s the nature of trades nowadays. If you want something good, you have to give something good too. I do, however, agree that would be too much: I’d say AK & a 1st rounder for Stewart woulda been fair.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’ ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

22. TomNickle says:

This isn’t a video game or a fantasy draft.  You don’t trade young developing players for one piece that isn’t of superstar quality.

23. BJT says:

Because they could get you something(s) very nice you need more than those two in return, maybe?

24. TomNickle says:

So trade a 20 goal scorer, a potential powerplay quarterback and a 1st round pick for a 30 goal scorer?

That’s a lot to pay for 10 extra goals and 50 more bodychecks.

25. EricInStL says:

Me thinks Crosby = Lindros…

“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject”–Winston Churchill

26. scrowe21 says:

Switch Eller with AK and it should have gotten us Chris Stewart.. F**k.

27. savethepuck says:

One of the few games with two Canadian teams that is also being televised in the USA. It’s Hocky Day in America>

28. TomNickle says:

Eller, Weber and a 1st could get you a lot.  But Eller and Weber are both very cheap and still have a lot of developing to do.  Why trade them?

29. TomNickle says:

The market for players not in their contract years has been set.

Beauchemin fetched Lupul, Gardiner and a 4th.

Fisher fetched a 1st round pick and possibly a 2nd.

Erik Johnson and a 1st round pick fetched Stewart, Shattenkirk and a 2nd rounder.

Versteeg, a 1st and a 3rd.

I don’t want Pierre Gauthier buying anymore than he already has.  The only package I would be willing to put together if I were Gauthier could consist of Kostitsyn, Maxwell, Carle, Bennett, Kristo, Ramo, Trotter, Yemelin, Hamrlik, Spacek, Picard, Moen and Pyatt.

No more trading picks.

30. BJT says:

So guys, what do you think a package of Eller, Weber, 1st rd. pick and/or 2nd rd. pick could get us in return?

31. novahab says:

Well first it isn’t about what Pittsburg wants its about what the Crobsys want. Second no one in their right mind would ever trade Gretsky right in his prime. The thid thing is ML doesn’t want to own the the Pens any more he just using that blow up as an excuse.

32. TomNickle says:

Wasn’t referring to you at all.  I’ve enjoyed our conversation, you seem to pay as much attention to what your counterpart says as you do your own opinions.  The other two stomp their feet and giggle when the conversation becomes lost on them.

33. habs365 says:

good player, can’t see it happening

34. TomNickle says:

Why exactly would the team with the deepest group of prospects in the NHL trade their captain for one player who doesn’t have an NHL goal through approximately thirty games, a promising but small defenseman and a pick that will be in the lower half of the first round?

Brown is their most versatile player and their leader.  They won’t trade him for spare parts.

Now if you wanted to speculate that we could trade Kostitsyn and a couple of high picks to them, then yeah, that’s almost believable.

35. Bugs says:

I liked Mr.Arizona’s “If a frog had wings, it wouldn’t bump its azz a-hoppin.”

36. SeriousFan09 says:

I prefer when no one dignifies Cherry’s nonsense with an answer. Why give a buffoon recognition?

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

37. Curtis O Habs says:

Banana peels.

38. T-roy West says:

Are you asking if “I’m” twelve”?

39. BJT says:

‘If you’re discussing trading Eller, Weber and a 1st.  The return has to be a top 10 to top 5 NHL defenseman or a top 10 scorer.’

Yes, I agree. Took ya a while, but you only just now answered my original question :P

40. scrowe21 says:

*Triple facepalm*?

41. scrowe21 says:

OK. You’re right, I’m wrong. You win. We’d only be adding 10 more goals and 50 body checks.

42. BJT says:

“Kostitsyn, Maxwell, Carle, Bennett, Kristo, Ramo, Trotter, Yemelin, Hamrlik, Spacek, Picard, Moen and Pyatt.”

That’s quite a large trade package. I don’t suppose you meant ‘or’? :D

43. TomNickle says:

I still feel you’re overpaying in that spot.  Stewart is effective, but there isn’t a big enough difference between Kostitsyn and Stewart that you could justify a 1st round pick being added to sweeten the pot.

If you want to make a deal where you’re sending prospects and or picks to acquire a star, you need to indentify a team who needs to shed salary who can also afford to lose the star.

44. TomNickle says:

They’re good.  And it was Maxwell I was referring to with the hasn’t scored in 30 games comment.

Weber, Kostitsyn and a 1st round pick is an insane package to put together for one player who isn’t tremendously versatile.

In my opinion, for a package like that you better be getting a perennial Norris candidate back or a Plekanec with more offensive skill.

45. scrowe21 says:

I dont even know why Im wasting my time with this because its over and never gunna happen but, Chris Stewart is only 23. You could say he is a potential 40 goal scorer. He constantly goes to the net, stands up for his teammates, wont back down from anyone. I like AK a lot but most people agree that Andrei isn’t gunna pan out here and hes gunna be shipped out at some point anyway. So yeah its a lot to give up, but Stewart hasn’t reached his prime yet and is already what MTL needed. To say you’re paying for 10 extra goals and 50 more bodychecks is ridiculous. He doesn’t float around like Andrei does. Stewart would show up every game and come up huge in games against Boston and Philly.

46. T-roy West says:

Sounded kind of weird that you would say that AK46 hasn’t scored in thirty games and that Weber was a promising but small defensemen then you say AK46 the 20 goal scorer and Weber the potential powerplay quarterback. Do they suck or are they good? Which is it?

47. TomNickle says:

So you’d like your 40 goal scorer fighting?

Andrei Kostitsyn is only 26.  Gonna tell me he doesn’t have the skill set to score 40 in the NHL?

If your trading is based on potential.  I’ll argue that Kostitsyn’s offensive potential based on skill and talent blows Stewart’s out of the water.

Stewart is a better player.  But you can’t trade based on potential, and you can’t assume that Stewart will score 40 goals in the NHL.  Wanna know why?  Everyone assumed it about Kostitsyn, and look where we are today.

So, four years ago there was probably some guy out there who wanted his team to give up a 20 goal scorer, and a first round pick for Kostitsyn, that would have worked out pretty damn well for the Habs in all likelihood.

See what I’m saying?

48. jimmy shaker says:

Ya, I went beyond shitting the bed!!!

Shaker

49. TomNickle says:

You seem to think that your point is falling on deaf ears.  It’s not.  If you think any of those players would be available based on the package you suggest you’re insane.

50. TomNickle says:

Well, you tell me a GM who you think would part with a superstar for that package.

51. TomNickle says:

Trading my farm system for one player is a joke to me.  That players name better be Crosby, Stamkos, Keith, Weber or Doughty for me to be on board with it.

52. TomNickle says:

Los Angeles doesn’t need prospects or picks that will get them more prospects.  The value of Weber and Eller to Los Angeles is lower than it would be for every other team in the NHL.  They simply don’t have enough roster spots to get their prepared prospects into the lineup.

A team like Colorado, even though they draft well, could immediately insert Weber and Eller into their lineups and they could play big roles.

53. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Iginla just said yesterday that the team considers it a road game because of the strange ice and boards.  So not really an edge.

54. BJT says:

Would? That’s not for me to say; I don’t know.

Could? Well, Eller + Weber + 1st and/or 2nd rounder…

I could see that fetching somebody like Corey Perry if Anaheim wanted to rebuild. Brad Richards in his contract year. Iggy, Kesler, maybe Claude Giroux. Maybe Backstrom or Sharp.

55. habs365 says:

Give the edge to Calgary..the teams are about even..Calgary is at home..I hope the Habs win

56. T-roy West says:

How come you elevate their potential in a trade for Stewart but a couple of posts below it you down play their worth in a trade with L.A.?

57. fbkj says:

Pants Buzzed

wizz is in

what a warrior

also: darche put on IR

58. TomNickle says:

Yes I would trade all of them in the same deal.

Sheesh.

59. Mattyleg says:

The possibility of that happening is the only reason I’m watching the game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

60. punkster says:

What’s the old saying? Even a blind squirrel…

This may be your best post E-V-E-R!!!

***Subbang!!!***

61. BJT says:

Well, to me Stewart seems to be what we’d like AK to turn into (I see it as an 70-80% chance), so if we trade AK straight up for Stewart that’s obviously a rip off, so then you throw in a 1st round pick so that Stl. can now draft somebody else, who would have maybe a 20-30% chance of drafting somebody (hopefully late in the 1st) that would turn into a Stewart calibre player. Seems fair to me.

62. 25 cups says:

Mara falls on Price and injures him

63. BJT says:

I take it ‘joke’ isn’t a word in your vocabulary

64. TomNickle says:

Think of it like this.  Would you be happy if Gauthier traded Price to the Kings for Quick, Teubert and Simmonds?

65. scrowe21 says:

Lol..wasting your time.

Depends on the who the crowd cheers loudest for and home ice still has the last change.

67. scrowe21 says:

Im not trading based on potential. You brought potential up, Weber as a potential pp quarterback.. but didn’t say anything about Stewarts potential, thats all. Anyways im out, every debate on this site turns into a never ending frustrating waste of time. Like I said, trade isnt going to happen, I just answered the original question with a simple answer, the end.

68. TomNickle says:

Which is exactly why trying to add another player right now is a bad idea.  If anything, I would be selling off some players who hold little value to this team but could help a playoff team substantially.

A player like Hamrlik, Spacek or Moen could be tremendously valuable for a young, playoff bound team like Los Angeles, Phoenix or Dallas.

And in trade scenarios with those teams we could acquire young players or picks in return.

69. BJT says:

*facepalm*

70. savethepuck says:

A seller is not going to want Hamr, Spac or Moen, unless it is necessary for us to dump their salary’s to make the deal work.

71. TomNickle says:

We’re just going back and forth here.  If you’re willing to give up a first round pick for 10 more goals(if you’re lucky) 50 more bodychecks(if you’re lucky) then more power to you pal.

That’s called Mike Milbury or John Ferguson management in my book.

72. JohnBellyful says:

For today’s game played in the open
    A Habs win is what I am hopin’
    A win and two points
    Would warm up their joints
    While a loss would sure leave me mopin’

(Bugs, thanks for the reminder, I forgot HIO Sundays are Poetry on Ice)

73. T-roy West says:

It sucks that you feel that every debate ends up to be a waste of time and I agree 100%. It wasn’t always like that. Hope it doesn’t make you stop posting. For the record there isn’t much of a debate when it comes to Stewart and AK46. One is a future star and the other is a lost cause. I’ve liked Stewart for awhile. Cheers!!

74. TomNickle says:

So trading to add Chris Stewart isn’t an acquisition based on you thinking he’ll score 40 goals.  Could have fooled me based on what you’ve been saying.

75. TomNickle says:

I guess me saying Stewart is a better player was a part of that post you skipped over.

76. Jocko says:

0 for Alberta, team looks like merde.  What’s more frustrating than watching Les Boys?  It’s watching Les Bums!  Our best players have been far from than that in the last little bit!  Damn, I am glad there is a holiday in Alberta tomorrow, because I sure am going to hear iot at work!

I don’t want to see Maurice tonight, I want to see The Rocket!

77. habstrinifan says:

PG Put down that goddamn salad and make a move!

78. Bill J says:

<shakes fist in the air> Damn you PG & BG for injuring Markov, Gorges, Spacek, Gill, Cammalleri etc…

Damn you for trading Lapierre – oh wait he’s only playing 8 minutes a game now ?  Damn you PG & BG, because of you his career will wither to nothingness.

Damn you BG for trading Rivet for Gorges & a pick that your scouting team was good enough to draft MaxPac with.

Damn you for scouting & drafting Subban.

Damn youuuuuuuu PG & BG.

This is your broken record, it does not make sense…. But you persist.  Now one would say, you’re entitled to your opinion here.  But dude, we’ve heard it a billion times now from you.  ENOUGH!  We mostly all disagree with you, and it does not appear to change anytime soon either.  Move on!

79. joeybarrie says:

You know what it is about this team. WE JUST CANNOT KEEP THEIR OFFENSE AWAY FROM THE FRONT OF OUR NET. We can’t score AT ALL when the other team has a hot goalie, NO MATTER how many shots we have. The other goalie plays well, we just shoot on their chest. Dont try to beat them in front of the net or try something new. Same old style of scoring. Shooting from anywhere we get some space.

Other than that, we are not doing too badly considering.

This is a GREAT team as a whole. But night’s like this SUCK.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

80. joeybarrie says:

Good news is FLA, CAR, ATL, NYR are all doing worse than us lately, Wash not doing any better, and SOON we will be on our way home.

There may be other teams, but only ONE Club De Hockey…

81. habstrinifan says:

I am sh***t scared to post my frustrations these days. Cause, as some genius pointed out, I aint never won a Stanley Cup.

So I will just sit quietly and raid the liquor cabinet and wait for JM’s audio and get his insight. Wait! I just reaized!

Jm and I have this resume glitch in common. Guess what it is?

82. observer says:

higher than the coach – its the 2 old goofs gainey and gauthier

83. habstrinifan says:

It would be interesting to se ethe faces of the many fans on this site who jump at those who say that CHANGES must be made, including coaching.

84. TomNickle says:

As long as you have good goaltening and good special teams in the East, you’re a contender.  I fear that Markov’s absence from our powerplay and Gorges’ absence from the penalty kill is enough of a downfall to show the team’s true colours down the stretch.

85. homerbowen says:

Size is the issue. We have too many small players.

86. mbplekfan says:

There is no move that can fix the problem. Our injuries are deep, our forwards are shallow and our defence is old.

We need to get healthy, resign the core players like Markov and Gorges and then hit the FA market to retool the defence.

87. observer says:

when habs were playing well they blew a 4-0 lead to calgary before winning it OT. NOW THEY ARE ON ANOTHER OF THEIR BAD RUNS THAT WE’VE SEEN THE LAST 2years – lucky they are in the east so at least theyll still get 2 home playoff revenues.

88. Mondou6 says:

I don’t want us to be buyers anymore this year.  We are NOT one or two players away from winning the Cup, and half our team is out for the year.  Let’s face it, it’s over.

We should be sellers.  Unload a couple of our old, overpriced, underpeforming players to other teams in exchange for any sort of picks or prospects, no matter how lowly.

Acquire one or two angry hired goons to protect our ridiculously undersized team, and give us some much needed toughness, avoid teams pummeling us again like the Bruins did.

Try to gut out a playoff berth this year, ride Price as far as possible until the inevitable elimination, then regroup for 2011-12 with more picks, players, and money.

89. WindsorHab-10 says:

Not a good effort today even though we outshot the Flamers. The ice was bad & so was the weather. Glad we had no casualties. Would be nice to finish this trip with a win in Vancouver.

90. habstrinifan says:

You had to bring tha up! Ouch! Still hoits!

91. Curtis O Habs says:

I was wondering that also.  I do not recall the Canadian anthem at the Winter Classic.

92. AH says:

At least you’ll be warm watching them get smoked.

93. SeriousFan09 says:

Habs Future submitted for the week.

Big week in the Q for Bournival and Leblanc and another player gets his first appearance in the Three Stars grouping.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

94. bolder says:

Since the beatdown in beantown, the count has 1 win in 5 games? Not the same team after the beatdown, just like komo is after the lucy beatdown. The count sucks, makes no difference which players they bring in, the count system sucks period!

95. habsfan0 says:

Misery loves company.

96. habstrinifan says:

Philly! It’s like taking on the biggest bully in the schoolyad. If you somehow whip his f…ing arse , you’re so pumped you can go all the way.

And even if he beats the hell outta you, there is always some chick in the crowd who loves losers.

Take it from me. There is nothing like a girl giving herself to you out of pity.

97. NightRyder says:

Well, I’m glad to see we’re aiming so high!

Frankly, we’ve done well in the past with someone else taking out the bullies (Edmonton in 1986; Pittsburgh in 1993).

98. RJ says:

This team sucks. Two games in a row with ZERO passion. Martin must go. AK46 is a waste product.

“My face is my mask,” Gump Worsley

99. dre1744 says:

It worked for the Flames they got rid of the old and dull boring Daryl Sutter and look how they have played since!!!!!

100. observer says:

good news is carolina, rangers and sabres all playing bad in the weak weak east. hell the leafs are still alive if you can believe it.

101. dre1744 says:

I think the slow ice conditions played into the favor of Calgary, by negating the habs speed and fast transition game.

I just hate it when the habs come to the west and get there asses handed too em everytime.

102. Harditya_CareyPrice says:

Sorry about re-posting this. But I need to get my frustration out.

———————–

Way to show up for the Heritage classic Habs. I understand that you’re injury riddled but c’mon..allowed 37 shots…got outchanced like 10-1 in odd man rushes. Thanks to Price this wasn’t 10-0.

Actually I wish that we would have lost 10-0. Maybe it would have sparked Pierre Gauthier to pursue a big body forward (couple actually). No, not just a rental but for years to come. It doesn’t have to be this upcoming trade deadline as the price will be high. But over the off-season certain changes are necessary. The truth is, that until the Habs don’t get some big bodies – they will continue to get pushed around. Just like against the Flyers in the Conference finals last season. This team lacks depth, so it’s critical that the Habs top scorers do what they’re expected to do – score. Our scorers cannot do that on a consistent basis. That is why the size issue is constantly brought up.

Ladies and gentlemen size IS an issue. Not saying that any individual in the NHL that is short is a bad player. Of course not, it’s quite the opposite actually, shorter players tend to be better players in this league. But the Habs have assembled way too many undersized players on just one team. These guys have skill – but they cannot crash the crease. They have speed – but they cannot agitate the d-men by screening the goalie. Just way too much perimeter play. Habs need size up front. Like it or not.

I am not going to talk much about the D, because this is the result when you have two rookies and three 36+ year old d-men. Losing arguably, your top 2 dmen on the back end was a major blow. And our vets cannot constantly plug in 20+ minutes every night. Their bodies just cannot adjust to the heavy work-load, which makes them even more vulnerable to get injured. Lidstrom would be a bad example, he’s a horse and can probably play till he’s 50 years old. That being said, the defense was pretty brutal. They made my inner-Timo come out. But I am going to suck it up for this season. All I know is that this team needs to re-tool in a lot of areas in order to beat teams like Philly on a consistent basis, not just every odd game.

Best of luck going to Vancouver, Habs.

103. Duracell3 says:

it was played, as it is at every nhl game.

why the us anthem was played I suppose is anyones guess, I doubt it was on the us stations let alone being advertised at all.

104. Kooch7800 says:

He will be a head coach somewhere and too be honest he deserves to be the head coach of Montreal.

Nothing against JM as his defensive style got us to the conference finals but he has never got over that hump.  Kirk has the respect and communication of his players.

I wish him well if he leaves. I am sure he will be a great coach somewhere.

Not too worried about the habs, they have good eyes for a replacement.  Look at Boucher in Tampa.  One year as a coach in the organization and is now in the NHL doing a great job.  Problem is i hope our luck doesn’t run out.

105. Kooch7800 says:

The worst part is it is the young guys I enjoy watching on this team. The ones who try hard every shift. AK 46, Gomez and I hate to say it but even Cammy have all pulled on the hind tit this year.
    Patch’s, DD, Subban have been nice surprises this year.

As much as D is our problem we really can’t score goals at all. 1 goal in two games about sums up this team.

I didn’t think Mara looked that bad tonight though

106. habstrinifan says:

Funny stuff you two! LOL.

107. G-Man says:

Good news: Habs are 8 points ahead of 9th place Sabres.

Bad news: Sabres have 2 games in hand.

Has The Great Swoon begun or does the losing stop? When your team can’t and won’t score, things only get tougher in March.

So much for 5-1 Habs predictions.

108. Da Hema says:

And we would be guaranteed a Stanley Cup!

109. habstrinifan says:

OK! You had me at embers!

110. NightRyder says:

Yes, but we’d be 82-0!

111. Da Hema says:

What’s funny is that if the Habs were to run their team according to the passions of this site, we would have 23 different players and three different coaches every game. Indeed, the general manager would have to execute 10-12 trades everyday…just before he is fired to be replaced by another one-day only general manager.

112. NightRyder says:

That’s because our collective genius only applies when there is a problem that needs fixing. We could all coach better than JM and are all smarter that Gauthier. When the team loses, it becomes necessary to flex this collective brilliance, since all of the management types secretly lurk around HIO looking for answers.

113. Da Hema says:

I always find it amusing that when the Habs win there are about 70-100 comments in the game summary thread. When they lose, there are 400-500.

114. NightRyder says:

Who do we want in the first-round?

I’d say (in order of preference): Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Philly.

115. Rainrocket16 says:

From the embers of Alberta….

Les Habitants are gonna be fine! Yes, we lost a big game in the eyes of the NHL. The VS. Crew continues to point out the flaws of the Canadiens but only one of them has ever won a cup (Mr Engblom). They can only point out the obvious. Yes changes need to be made and I am quite sure they will be addressed.  It is just nice to enjoy the pleasure of having a place I can go to daily to Rant, Rage, Sympathize, Celebrate, and most nights lately, Vent. Forget about the circus that was The Heritage Classic. This Cup hungry fanbase needs some positives and no doubt they will come this spring!

Like a Pheonix we will rise from the Ashes of Alberta!

116. Habnofear says:

Sorry bout that my Habs brother and yeah ,I’m still real pissed about that Back-breaker and spirit sucker of a game !

117. martin says:

This was an embarassment, plain and simple. They competed until the 2 penalties in the first then no one even took as much as a slapshot. Habs tried to “stick” to the game plan when the ice was the enemy. Who’s fault? That useless coach we have for not adapting. They will make the playoffs and do the same as last year: play for themselves and not jocks.

118. habstrinifan says:

My avatar wanna meet with your avatar!

119. kkurji says:

These heritage classic games are stupid, especially for a team like our habs. We have enough troubles scoring on normal NHL ice, and with that crappy ice I wasn’t expecting us to score any at all to tell you the truth. This outdoor game just handicapped our talentless team even more. And I agree with everyone here, JM needs to leave, before we lose another good coach in Captain kirk. Also, has anyone else noticed how gionta’s game has fallen off this planet since being named captain? All the things he was praised for last season, he hasnt done even half of those things this season. Absolutely pathetic!

120. habstrinifan says:

Sh***t you made me spill my rum! And i aint even half-drunk!!!!!!

121. Habnofear says:

Bullspit!The time parallel is THE BRUINS BEATDOWN….

122. HABSsince92 says:

I have to say the HIO makes me feel better after losses….it’s been great the last year and a half to be able to vent my frustrations somewhere. As much as people complain it’s good to let it out and not hold it inside. Go Habs Go!

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

123. Windwalker says:

why was the US anthem played? And why was not a single word in the Canadian anthem was sung in French.

124. daveho29 says:

Was going to make the 10hr drive to see this game. In a way glad I didn’t, as the habs only showed up for the second period(had the wind in their backs I guess) But would have been an once  in a lifetime experience. Oh well have a ticket for Tuesdays game against a injury depleted Vancouver team, at least their D any how.

GO HABS GO!

125. daveho29 says:

Could have got a ticket for $150 albeit in the corner.

126. saskhabfan says:

You forgot 88 points,47% regulation wins and standing pat.

127. habsfan0 says:

…and put a white beard on Jacques Martin and he’d be the spitting image of Captain E.J.Smith.

128. Bill J says:

Good question, and I agree, there does seem to be a time parallel…

129. olematelot says:

You sound like a broken record man, come up with some new material

130. habstrinifan says:

“This is a GREAT team as a whole.” And the Titanic was a great ship as a hull.

131. dre1744 says:

I’m just glad I didn’t pay 300 bux to go to this game!!!!!!!

132. Bill J says:

LMAO!!!!!

Boucher had the same problem, and if I had the power to choose I would say ByeBye JM & promote Muller, HE has won a Cup & better yet he’s won it with Montreal.

;)

133. habs365 says:

same old problem can’t score..except for the 1st period..they out shot Calgary the rest of the way, nothing to show for it get ready for a beating by the Canucks and maybe the slide will end..lets face it they’re ranked 23rd in the league in scoring, how they’re holding down 6th place in the eastern conference I don’t know..just gotta say ( thank you Carey ) doing an excellent job with no team in front of you….

134. habstrinifan says:

When did the news that Kirk Muller will be leaving at season’s end hit the airwaves. And is this a factor in the teams downturn? It cant be just injuries.

135. bolder says:

True, but good work ethic brings good rewards. The team stands around in the first period of every game. JM is is dull coach, and it rubs off with dull hockey.

136. Habnofear says:

HAbsolutely !

137. W35T5ID3 says:

this team is a mess….i’m actually embarrassed to be a habs fan and to see the way this team is performing ……rest of canada must think these midgets are just brutal.And i agree.We need SIZE.

138. tricolore says:

OK Calgary that’s enough. Stop beating up on our turtle like defense and little tiny forwards…..I think you proved your point.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

139. Hali_Hab says:

It’s funny that people are saying “sell,selll,sell” hahahah ????  we are in sixth place and 9 points up on 8th why in gods name would you be a seller at the deadline? mental  Breathe people… good hockey trades can help this base of players and we have the depth in the system to make a few of those.. i dont expect PG will go for rentals but he will aquire a player or players with youth and a contract…

“After 13 years, I couldn’t accept to be number two.“ Guy Lafleur.

140. savethepuck says:

Think about what you just typed. “no depth on defence”. Seriously? No Markov. No Gorges. No Spacec. Give your head a shake. What we do have is depth on D

141. observer says:

spacek as old slow and as bad. markov had been lost at start of season the old 60 year old loser gm never replaced him.

142. Laramy87 says:

We are still 9 up on the 8th place team, im not really on the worried side of not making the playoffs….

We ae slumping again, we will come out of the slump like we did last time and win something liek 8 of 10. We wont win the division, but we be 6 or 7th.

I know Habs are playing brutal, but you still have to think it is an outdoor game, the ice is crap and the weather is not helping matters. The game against the canucks mite could be a write off, but we have the Leafs on Thurs, we will beat them,

143. observer says:

next year would be the no-stanley cup winner gauthiers 31st year in the nhl – he better be fired or forget about next season and every future season. last year was 88 points and a halak miracle/fluke.

144. observer says:

there are 18 year olds in montreal who never were alive when the canadiens won a stanley cup. as for leafs streak since 1967. gauthier in almost 60 years on this planet – he never won a cup ever.

145. RGM says:

Just when I think you can’t say anything dumber, you come along with this nugget. The Canadiens won their 24th Stanley Cup on June 11, 1993. Anybody born after that date would still only be 17. To be 18 you would have had to have been born on February 20, 1993, or prior, in which case they were very much alive when the Habs won the Cup later that year. Honestly, just stop.

146. savethepuck says:

Get Carey the phuck out of there JM just in case ( because of the conditions, don’t want him to get hurt

147. observer says:

alex tanguay – the 2 geniuses here gave up a #1 and a #2 for him – he played here less than a year – or as you gauthier/gainey lovers call it – mortgaging the future NOT????

148. savethepuck says:

Finally someone I agree with instead of the people pissed off about the result of this game and posting based on their present emotions after a bad loss.

To much scotch!

150. Danno says:

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

151. observer says:

but i just heard gainey in that interview rolling like a pig in —- thrilled at building such a team.

Very disappointed in the overall effort and competitiveness of the Habs, both in Edmonton and again tonight.

We look like a team that is just trying to finish off the regular season, while talking about which golf course to report to early.

This game tonight is all show and no go. There are more bumps in a ladies curling match.

Embarrassing and Brutal. O well, we will be healthier next training camp in the fall.

They have quit on me, I never quit on them.

Next year Gauthier!!  Is J. Martin still going to be your guy.?

153. habs365 says:

Don’t be too sure about beating the leafs on thursday, at least they made some trades to try and improve their team….

154. lavie says:

If it’s not for Heritage Classic, Cammalleri, Gill and Wis wouldn’t have played tonight, I guess.

Offensively, this team looks too small; defensively, the Habs are too slow.

155. Everlasting1 says:

A 10-0 blowout wouldn’t be as embarrassing as that mask. He’s gotta be the laughing stock of the league. Say cheese!

Elohim:”Let us make an Adam in our image and after our likeness.” – Genesis 1:26

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

156. adam76 says:

NBC is playing some of  SNLs best commercial parodies – for those still watching this embarrassment of a hockey team.

157. habstrinifan says:

They did not come out of the slump last year. They eked into the playoffs.

158. bandaide says:

I think he means the last outdoor classic vs leafs

159. observer says:

how many did habs score? zero on the stampeders? same as they scored in 3 games in series vs. the great leighton- zero. not price or halaks fault.

160. bandaide says:

actually Dessy wins more battles than the other guys he is excellent wins faceoffs too :) should start the PP first wave since plexs can’t win a faceoff for his life.

161. Duracell3 says:

This must be why they went with price over halak, I recall his shot was much better in the skills comp they had, they must think he has more offensive upside.

162. JoeC says:

You sir are mentally retarded and shouldnt have been let on the computer today, maybe medication wore off?

How the hell is not scoring any goals and numerious turn overs the goalies fault?

Again, your retarded

163. Peterborough Habs Fan says:

When is everyone going to wake up and realize that Scary Price is a sieve.

164. kmachabs27 says:

i dunno what this organization is trying to prove, we aint winning anything with these weak forwards, cammy, gionta, pleks, gomez, and now desharnais, like cmon. We lose 90% of the battles in the corner. Weber got out muscled in the corner on there second goal.

165. LA Loyalist says:

We’re going to win 8 out of 10? Are we being relegated to Junior A?

As for Outdoor game, crap ice, bad weather… umm, Flames played under the same circumstances as we did, they’ve had problems, they showed up.

Also Leafs beat us last time, god was that humiliating.

We left it all on the bus – again.

166. Laramy87 says:

This is seriously a terrible game by the Habs. I dont think they have had a single quality scoring chane. Yes there are the elements, but Calgary is playing a pretty good game, its almost has if the Habs are just not trying out there.

167. observer says:

wonder what big acquisitions pitts, wash, sj and others will AGAIN make in the next 8 days as they usually do about every single year because at least their owner and gm wants to WIN. we will see now if molson is different than gillette and diff than molsons company.

168. adam76 says:

The play of the habs is an embarrassing at Price’s mask.

169. habs365 says:

Hope you’re not talking about the Bull Dogs..if they have lots of debt..they sure as hell don’t show it when they come to the Habs..Max pac and DD is the only two that has showed anything coming from the Bull Dogs..I’m still waiting for all this debt everyone is talking about..maybe 20 years from now….

170. observer says:

a huge embarrassment to the alouettes.

171. tricolore says:

Remember, there are many factors that contribute to a player being traded to another team….

Gauthier might not be well received by other GMs, players asked for may be untouchable (i.e. Subban, Pacioretty, etc..), and players interested in or asked for do NOT want to come to Montreal….there are many of those by the way….we had to sign a useless Gomez for 8 million dollars a year to get Gionta, and then Cammalleri….

But, I agree…help is needed….Mara.., nice guy, not good enough to help…..

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

172. Kimberly2u says:

This should have been an easy win…we will be lucky to get to the playoffs…can’t believe how bad they are playing

173. savethepuck says:

Come out in the second dominating, even on the pk, finally get a pp and give up a 2 on 1 followed by 1 Flame going into the corner with 3 Habs following him leaving us shorthanded in front of the net. the Flame wins the battle because 2 of ou guys gave up on the play. Totally unacceptable. FRUSTRATED.

174. cynic says:

Is it too early to say blowout?

175. adam76 says:

This is worse than THursday, I thought getting dominated by the 30th place Oilers was the lowpoint of the season. Guess I was wrong.

176. wild flower says:

Why would you have expected an easy victory? Check the injury report. There is a reason the Bulldogs are not the potential NHL team Hamiltonians are hoping for.

177. observer says:

i know it was a 5 on 3 but they had killed off a minute and a half of it then i think mara was on the ice for that goal? am i right?

178. observer says:

same as vs edmonton – but the losers excuse not there to be used – wiz, gill, camalleri playing

179. WindsorHab-10 says:

Just pathetic & an embarrassment to Canada & Canadiens.

180. Kimberly2u says:

I just took off my jersey..debating whether or not to watch the last period

181. observer says:

lucky they are in the weak east

182. cynic says:

Will you re-post your picture with your jersey off? ;-)

183. deuce6 says:

This is why I hated the Mara deal..It was a knee jerk trade..Sure, a 5th rounder may not be a lot, but we really didn’t need to make this deal..Is Mara that much an upgrade over what we already have? Why throw away a pick for something that does nothing to help?

If you are going to make a deal, make a deal that actually helps this team..Enough with the Picards and Maras..Make an impact trade or keep the damn assets…

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

184. newbrunswick troy says:

this team looks (or just is) very weak upfront and on they   backend- no depth on defence and our forwards have stopped competing!

what the hell is up

185. deuce6 says:

Meh, the only reason I watched this thing from the start was because the Habs were a part of it..I hate these “Classic/Heritage” games..terrible conditions that just cause whacky bounces and players on the verge of tearing groins…

It isn’t hockey, IMO..Them getting their asses handed to them was the last straw for me..I shut it off after CAL scored the 3rd one..I had enough of this “cash grab” game..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

186. kmachabs27 says:

way to small, out muscled.

187. duffy says:

What a useless bunch.

188. homerbowen says:

Start ther re-build

189. observer says:

jason for his next movie will have a pair of spooky, scary eyes now painted on too.

190. observer says:

Hamrlick and Mara totally worthless. Keep waiting for Gauthier in his year 31 in the NHL to grow a brain!

191. habstrinifan says:

If things continue as they are is Pierre Gauthier gonna be your guy next year?

192. tricolore says:

What is it, 4 to 5 years and counting on that one…..

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

193. observer says:

the team has been very weak since 2003 “up high”! i mean the brains who assembled, ran and run this team – gauthier and gainey.

194. Kimberly2u says:

If Gauthier can’t see by now we have a problem..he’s an idiot

195. observer says:

8 years – THE DYNAMIC DUO STARTED HERE 8 YEARS AGO.

196. saskhabfan says:

Wrong again,as usual. We beat the leafs last time. I find it amazing how god awful we are but are still 12th overall league for points and a measly 4 points out of 6th overall. If you going to constantly bitch about size and playoff failure,you should change your avatar.

197. savethepuck says:

On a positive note, think Carey will stand on his head Tues in Vancouver, his home province, after the 7-1 loss last October.

198. savethepuck says:

thought this would be far from an easy win considering the Flames are arguably the best team in the NHL over the past month and 1/2.  I hoped with Cammy, Gill and the Wiz back we could win this hockey game. I have no fears of us missing the playoffs, we would need a total collapse for that. Our recent woes are due to injuries. What I had hoped is that we would make a serious run for home ice advantage starting today. Tues day v Vancouver not going to be much easier although they have had a lot of injuries to their blueline also. I prefer to keep the faith and see.

199. sprague cleghorn says:

Huh?  We shut out the Leafs 3-0  last week.

200. Peterborough Habs Fan says:

Maybe if Scary could keep us in, the Habs might come to life. He is useless!!!

201. Les Habitants says:

look like we will last game of year,to beat the laffs to get into playoffs………..

The last time the leafs won the cup it was still just a bowl!!

202. NightRyder says:

You say you haven’t quit on them, but you’re already talking about training camp and next year.

Tape up those ankles man. A four-game win streak and you’ll be the biggest flag-waver on the bus.

203. observer says:

they should use the former canuck auld.

204. savethepuck says:

Considering all the recent injuries we had and some guys just coming back, I am surprised by your negativity Ian. You are usually one of the positive ones. I prefer to keep the faith.

205. tricolore says:

I wonder if his salary or contract is too much to handle….also not sure he wants to come back here

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

206. fbkj says:

are you still on that?

ALL PLAYERS HAVE “SPECIAL” SKATES you git!

207. Danno says:

Could this be the worst performance of the season? It’s got to be among the top five.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

208. HABSsince92 says:

I would say yes when considering the build-up, hype, weekend, etc. to not show up like they did. Yes

Been a Habs fan since I was in 2nd grade and sat behind Patrick Roy at the Aud.

209. Duracell3 says:

Top 3, probably the worst. Offensively the worst.

210. LA Loyalist says:

Can you narrow it down? We’ve had a lot of crap performances this year, including the other night in Edmonton, last game against the Leafs… sheesh.

time for a drink and meds, yeah the doc said not to mix…

211. tricolore says:

Considering the conditions of such a game, it can go either way. Depends on who solves the conditions better and takes advantage of errors or lucky bounces.

Price playing very well…..at least……

Moving forward, I sure hope Gauthier can add to this team…..you don’t suppose Mara was his move do you?…eh..err….uhm….nahhh…no one is that dumb…..are they?

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

212. LA Loyalist says:

Tanguay must really suck. He only has 15 goals and 28 assists for 43 points this year, on a team that struggled the first half of the year.

Of Habs forwards he would be just behind Plex, next are Gio, Cammi and Gomer at 31, 31, 29 (yeah Cammi would have more normally).

I guess it’s possible Count Chocula might have choked the life out of Tanguay, too, so maybe that’s a consideration.

Today was pretty embarassing – again. But full credit to Wiz for lacing up. Get us an other half dozen guys like him and maybe we’ll get somewhere.

213. W35T5ID3 says:

who cares cuz when its all said and done u and ur little boy tanguay and his 43pts and the flames will be golfing and we will be playing playoff hockey in April/May.

Just cuz we lost and u r mad and gotta mean ya gotta rip on the boys.-20* C ….are u gonna crash that net to get ur points???

214. nunacanadien says:

Injuries aside, the Habs are a typical Eastern Team, and built that way.  We are small and fast, and the Molsons are hoping on a crap game that we’ll end up 8th no matter how badly Gomez and Gionta play.  Maybe it is time we consider whether the Gomez Gionta deal was worth all that money.  Gionta is finally producing this year but not at the level that we pay him for.  And Gomez, well the man is a deadstick no matter which way you paint him in his career.  He is exciting to watch when we play smaller teams but against a bigger team he is invisible.

In the last 10 years the Red Wings and Devils won the Cup twice. Every other team that won in that span was either an expansion team or a team that tanked in recent it’s history.

2009-10 – Chicago Blackhawks (tanked)
    2008-09 – Pittsburgh Penguins (tanked)
    2007-08 – Detroit Red Wings (tanked in the 80’s)
    2006-07 – Anaheim Ducks (expansion)
    2005-06 – Carolina Hurricanes (tanked)
    2003-04 – Tampa Bay Lightning (expansion)
    2002-03 – New Jersey Devils (expansion team that tanked in the 80’s)
    2001-02 – Detroit Red Wings (tanked in the 80’s)
    2000-01 – Colorado Avalanche (tanked)
    1999-00 – New Jersey Devils (expansion team that tanked in the 80’s)

———————————————–

Getting into the play-offs by the skin of your teeth and getting your ass kicked in 1st round is not my idea of building a championship team. – Brian Burke

216. 24moreCups says:

I agree!

217. SeriousFan09 says:

Down Goes Brown checks in with various other complaints from Mario Lemieux

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

218. The Cat says:

The good news is virtually everybody else in the east sucks. Teams 5 to 11 in the race are all sputtering their last 10 games, like 2-7-1. 5-4-1, 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-5-1…New Jersey will get in I think!

219. BJ says:

After it was 2-0 you could see “no way Jose” for a comeback. What was most apparent, is that we sorely miss size. Our smaller forwards and D just looked like flies being swatted against the boards by an obviously bigger and stronger Calgary team. Its hard for me to imagine that its so obvious to us “Armchair GM’s” and not to the guys running the show? Its frustrating but we are still in it. Without dismantling the team I don’t see what a Konopka could cost. Surely he could bring more value to the team than Pyatt for a start. As for Gomez I can just hear Gauthier: “We have a speedy play maker that we might consider moving at the right price……”. Good luck!

For a lighter moment look at the 20 second mark. I guess the Habs weren’t the only ones taking it in the nuts last night. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwQKK8CLLTU&feature=player_embedded

220. ths says:

Any trades yet ? At this point I’ll take anything or a coaching change would be real nice.

221. HabsFansince49 says:

Here’s one take on the Heritage debacle:

the Flames looked as if they played outdoors everyday and the Habs looked as if they were native South Africans just stepping off the plane.

I don’t pretend to be an expert; just a die-hard Habs fan passing my opinion

222. The Cat says:

Seriously, JM annoys me to no end with his talk of special teams. In the post game talk, he says the habs lost cause of special teams…as if the habs were a force at even strength. Just a boring man with a boring system that aint cutting it on the road especially.

223. habstrinifan says:

Any trades yet?

224. light_n_tasty says:

Habs have been playing garbage, crappy hockey.  Unless Cammy and Gomez get it going, we won’t make the playoffs.  Too many injuries on D to have only 1 player on pace to break 60 pts.

225. PeterD says:

I liked Paul Mara last night…he was our only D that finished with an even +/- of 0 last night…of course Gill had the same but he was in the box when we were scored against…so I think Mara played respectably and effectively for us.

Is Paul Mara our saviour on Defense – NO. But he is a reasonable option for our badly beaten aging defense and he cost us next to nothing.

226. nunacanadien says:

227. Bill J says:

K…  Hate to do this, but I got to reply now…

You have already not too long ago YOURSELF posted how the Detroit tanking had long term benefits for the team, as it allowed them to build their depth, and via extremely good scouting/drafting (something, minus the tanking the Habs have been doing of late).

So by the above standard alone, the Habs are already on the right track.  Would we as fans prefer it was quicker (IE this season) to a legit Cup run ?  OF COURSE… Will it happen, realistically ?  I didn’t bet on it last season, I still would not bet on it this season.

RE the Devils…  One Word….  and it is the ONLY reason this team has won the Cup….  He is a freak of nature, much like Roy…

BRODEUR.

Some of those Devil teams stank it up so horribly, but he made them shine.

228. Bill J says:

Eh ?

Yeah if you want the Habs to follow the “build a team by tanking” mold… Sure.

But Mara looked better then Nash did.  The youth is good, and in case you missed the memo.

Half the current Habs team IS the youth due to so many injuries.

Hell, for a short stretch it felt like Hamrlik was the ONLY D of relative experience we had….

229. LTHF says:

As i said before the team is an epitomy of the  manager and coach. What kind of message was sent to the team to acquire Mara, surely  the young  players in hamilton are just as good or better. Until the owners clean house  we will have to endure  a team like this for several more years. Stick with the kids and let them develop and have  a coach that they can relate to.  AMEN

230. observer says:

Like football in McMahon – Habs have the wind in 2nd period!

231. TomNickle says:

I am not in favour of tanking and never will be.  And it is my opinion that anyone with good special teams and goaltending can make a cup run in the Eastern Conference.

Yet with the number of significant injuries this team has suffered over the last two years I wonder if now wouldn’t be a good time to do some re-tooling again.  Fact is, going into next season there will be some serious turnover among our defensemen and the key to high end performance from your defense group is cohesion.  With that in mind I propose the following.  Sell, Sell, Sell.

Keep, in no specific order.  Plekanec, Gionta, Pacioretty, Pouliot, Desharnais, Eller, White, Subban, Weber, Gill and Price.

Sell Gomez, Kostitsyn, Moen, Pyatt, Hamrlik, Spacek and Wisniewski.

Get as many blue chip prospects as you can and do your best to re-sign Markov and Gorges.

Move forward from there.

What do you people think.  Would it upset you, please you, or do you care?

232. Habnofear says:

I and others have already made that statment and what can you do if the fans are happy with the globetrotters of hockey!

233. NightRyder says:

I agree. No tanking allowed.

Need to move Gomez, Gionta, Hamr and Spacek and change the culture of the team, turn it over to the Prices and Subbans and Paciorettys that will give it a new personality.

Once that change is made, you will see a real step forward.

234. TomNickle says:

Meant to include Cammalleri in the trade’em list.

235. Displaced says:

Exactly right.  Hopefully PG reads this stuff.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

236. LA Loyalist says:

I have fewer untouchables than you: Price, Pleks, MaxPacs, Poo, DDes, PK. I would also keep Wiz, the man has balls and you HAVE to have powerplay QB. Bring back Markov and Gorges, and if they are healthy we would have a foundation.

the problem is you can’t get blue chippers for 4th line journeymen. Everyone else can pound sand.

And if PG can trade Gomez, man, I’ll build him a statue in front of the Bell Center.

237. deuce6 says:

Sieves have no real value…Blue chippers for that list? lol

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

238. Duracell3 says:

I don’t think there is a GM out there who would take Gomez for literally nothing. Spacek maybe but I doubt it. Hammer Wiz, are UFA’s, AK46 and Pyatt are RFA’s, Moen has 1 more year at 1.5 which isn’t too bad although there may be better options for less.

As it is though, no problem with any of those. Pyatt can stay as a 4th liner if need be. I’d let AK go if we had a shot at someone better for similar money if able to find, maybe pry Cervenka over or something.

239. observer says:

well sutter leaves and team immediately starts winning and cherry knocks everyone for blaming sutter. btw- hasnt the exact same thing even worse happened in jersey this year? coaches and gms cant win championships BUT they sure can lose them.

240. Danno says:

It was an insult to our heritage and it certainly wasn’t a classic.

So how the hell did it ever get the name Heritage Classic?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

241. Danno says:

I’m geting toned already

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

242. _Habsoloutly_ says:

What the boy’s need is a good workout, here ya go gents:

243. lavie says:

SOG, so simple!

244. observer says:

wind at their back not in their face this 2nd period – watch the difference.

245. Duracell3 says:

At least the Rangers picked up most of the tab ;)

I can’t think of many teams who would want him though, maybe for free as a 3rd line centre, but that’s about it, most teams in good position to make a run have better 2nd line centres. And most of the good teams, they couldn’t afford his cap hit, and probably don’t trust him as a shutdown guy. Offensively he’s a joke from the blueline in. Maybe nashville, LA, dallas. Unfortunately they have to be willing to not pay other players as much for the next 3 seasons as well.

I’d straight up trade him for a 3rd round pick though. Unless Price and company goes into Jesus mode and stays there for 2 months, it”s hard to believe this team will win anything.

246. TomNickle says:

There are teams that would love to have Gomez with what his actual salary will be going forward.  As for the veterans on the team, they help Cup contenders and Cup contenders are willing to pay.

247. NightRyder says:

So you’re “good” with $9.3M a year for a couple of 15-minute defencemen? Man, toss them in with your $5M tiny, aging, underproductive captain and you’ve got the makings of a fine squad.

Gomez, Gionta, Hamrlik and Spacek eat up $22M worth of cap space.

Couple of third-liners and two second- or third-pairing fossils on D.

And you wonder why the team is mediocre?

248. Da Hema says:

That’s a good question!

249. TomNickle says:

Hamrlik is not a 25 minute per game player.  At 15 minutes, he can be good.  Ditto for Spacek.

Moen would bring jam to a team who plays a style of hockey that allows him to succeed.  Like San Jose did.  They bang, they’re big and they use their muscle.

250. NightRyder says:

<spits drink on keyboard>

One sentence only; still gets best post of the night honours.

251. Say Ash says:

uh, so why don’t these veterans help us?

252. TomNickle says:

Brad, if you’re going to try offering an objective opinion on the matter you may want to remove or change your avatar.  You are self admittedly biased on this subject.  Your love for Koivu takes away no merit from Gionta as a captain.

253. rob_c says:

go back down your troll hole

254. NightRyder says:

No, he’s not.

He is a 32-year-old, five-foot-seven, 20-25 goal, 45-50 point man who should be a third-liner. Instead he gets huge minutes that he doesn’t merit.

Please don’t see this as hating on Gionta, because I like what he brings to a hockey team, in the proper context.

But no team with Brian Gionta as its captain is going anywhere. It just isn’t. It simply means we have another captain by default, a la Mike Keane.

As a valued veteran contributor? Sure.

But as a five-million-dollar, long-term cap hit for middling production? Not a chance.

255. TomNickle says:

Your theory has holes.  The primary being that Gionta is soft.  The rest being that Gionta can’t win as a leader, because he has.  You do have to have leaders around to show your young players how to become leaders.  I hope you realize that.

256. habstrinifan says:

He may be biased but I think he is right. Gionta is a tough hardworking player and may be a noble fellw altogether, but he is not a captain in the mold of our legendary captain. Nor was Koivu as a matter of fact.

257. NightRyder says:

Good Lord.

Where does it say anywhere that Gionta is soft?

And where has he won as a leader? Where?

Please explain that to me. On the Stanley Cup winner he played on, he had ONE goal in 24 games and was clearly nowhere near anything resembling a leader on that team.

Lots of veterans can show a kid a thing or two about professionalism and leadership.

He is tiny. He is aging. He is overpaid. He is underproductive given his ice time.

If you told me Brian Gionta was on our third line, wearing an ‘A’ and getting $3M a year for 20 goals, I’d be on board.

Paying him $5M a year in the salary cap era as our captain and giving him nearly 20 minutes a game simply indicates to me that we’re nowhere near good enough.

We have one forward who might be considered a legit NHL first-liner (Cammalleri) and you want to flog him, but keep Gionta.

I don’t think I need to say anything more.

258. TomNickle says:

Trade Gionta?  He’s exactly the leader that our young players need.  And that’s why I would keep him.

259. LA Loyalist says:

Gionta is fine and at least he tries, which on this team is something, but is he a Montreal Canadiens captain in the legacy of the captains we’ve had (and unfortunately have come to expect)?

260. TomNickle says:

It’s my opinion that comparing Tanner Glass and Brian Gionta as hockey players is absolute garbage.  No offense, but Gionta is a producer of offense, he is as professional as any hockey players I’ve ever seen and is a perfect role model for young players and veterans alike.  You clearly have a personal issue with him or what he represents.

261. NightRyder says:

My bad. I should have said “negative” images of one another, meaning if you turn soft, non-shooting Gomez inside out, you’ll get hard-working, shootsalot Brian Gionta. I guess the ensuing explanation that indicated exactly that was too confusing for you.

I’m still waiting for your example of Gionta leading this winning team. Or is one goal in 24 playoffs games enough for you? Mark Messier had epic success as a leader on winning teams. He blew donkeys as the aging captain in Vancouver.

And Cammalleri is nowhere near my idea of a perfect first-line player. He’s the only one on the roster who might be considered one. And yes, I was partial to his 13 playoff goals last year.

I’ll say it again. Gionta is aging. He is tiny. He is overpaid. He is underproductive. I can find you a million guys who work hard. I don’t want them to be the captain of anything.

If Brian Gionta is your team captain, you are not going anywhere. Nice player, not what the team needs moving forward.

262. NightRyder says:

Now I feel sorry for you. You snuggle up in your kid-sized Gionta jammies and keep dreaming big!

263. TomNickle says:

It’s not like you’re going to the ECF finals or anything.  It’s not like you’re winning a Cup with him in your lineup.  Not like he’s going to go to dirty areas of the ice to get you goals at important times in hockey games.  Nope, he doesn’t do anything like that.

Cammalleri is more overpaid than Gionta ever thought of being.

264. NightRyder says:

There are tons of players who work hard.

I have never seen Tanner Glass in Vancouver take a shift off and I don’t think the Canucks would want him as their captain.

Gionta is getting old, he’s tiny, he’s overpaid, gets way too much ice time and isn’t overly productive.

Nice player. Needs to go so the team can move forward.

265. TomNickle says:

Gomez and Gionta are mirror images, Gomez is soft, ergo, Gionta is soft.  Yeah, I must be out to lunch.

If your idea of a first line player is Mike Cammalleri you’ve clearly demonstrated the kind of hockey player you’re partial to.

266. Displaced says:

You’re on fire tonight.

Whose leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?

267. TomNickle says:

I don’t think a leader needs to score a point every game.  I don’t think I’ve seen him take a shift off since he’s been a Hab and I would have him as my captain anyday for that reason.

268. NightRyder says:

Thanks for that insightful analysis.

269. NightRyder says:

“I don’t think I’ve seen him take a shift off since he’s been a Hab and I would have him as my captain anyday for that reason.”

FOR THAT REASON, Tanner Glass should be captain material according to your logic. Hell, I think he was a captain at Dartmouth. Obviously, it’s an asburd reach. So is your lust for Gionta.

Gionta is aging, tiny, underproductive and overpaid. Having he and Gomez take up 20-odd per cent of our salary cap is the definition of insanity. They are like mirror images of each other. One softie who never shoots and doesn’t produce much; another hard-worker who takes zillions of shots and doesn’t produce enough either.

I have no personal issue with Gionta, nor any quibbles over his professionalism. But this team needs to move forward with newer, younger leaders.

You can win with guys like Brian Gionta as complementary pieces on your team. You cannot win with guys like Brian Gionta as a lead dog.

Feel free to have him as the captain of your team anyday. Because your team will never win.

270. observer says:

exactly! i agree the brains at the top is the most important aspect – the players always change. how has jim popp done as montreal gm? over the last 10 years? howd sammy pollock do? which also included after expansion? or frank selke before? i repeat would the most prestigious baseball team the yankees or the celtics or lakers in baskets – would they give the most important job that of GM to an old guy who in 30 years and on his 3rd GM job has never once been to a final series? and you dont see it and think “oh now he will win he has just finally figured it all out.” Well it is you not me who is delusional!

271. Kimberly2u says:

If they don’t get more shot on goal they aren’t going to win this game…damn Flames…Habs need to win this

272. Bill J says:

Wow I’m glad you got it all figured out.

Now if you seriously believe PG is resting on his laurels ?  Well I dunno what to say about that, in any nice way…

Suffice it to say, for all your assumptions, you do not seem to give any credit to PG…  And that is a shame.

273. LA Loyalist says:

I may live to hang PG, but Mara is pretty much a no choice move to get a healthy body that knows our system. Wiz was a great move.

Wiz went today on sheer pride and I love him for it, but he shouldn’t be playing for a few days at least.

If we do nothing by the 28th, well, we’ll know what the plan is. Another rebuild, a tacit admission that the blow-up was a blow-out.

Imagine this team with Koivu and Tanguay instead of Gomez and Gionta. We’d have been be able to add a power forward and more depth.

Yeah bring on the death threats, but after today’s humiliation how can you dare argue that the blow up worked?

274. C_Hand says:

Oh my goodness you have to be kidding me. What a bitter fan, go cheer another team. Bob has made the best moves this team has made in years. Gorges and Pacioretty for Rivet… the signing of Cammy and Gio, the draft of Price. Give it up, you show minimal hockey sense in your post.

275. Buster says:

No, his legacy will be that he put together a team that went to the conference finals, a team that included Scott Gomez

Whooooaa baby!!! WHAT is goin’ on in Pennsylvania!!?

276. Cohen Chatter says:

I am glad Bob Gainey decided to go to Calgary, He must be very proud of his $8 million a year money down the toilet acqusition of Scott Gomez. That trade will be Gainey’s legacy.  I am sure his then assistant, Pierre Gauthier, had a role in that horrible deal as well—the same Gauthier who thrilled us all by obtaining Paul Marra. What a blockbuster! Gauthier, time to swallow your pride. Send down Lars Eller and do  the same with Tom Pyatt.  Bring us someone with muscle.

277. observer says:

buffalo loss helped them again today. believe it or not leafs are very much in the playoff race. none of rangers, carolina or buffalo can consistantly win.

278. Nahlsy says:

In 7 Saturdays since New Years Day, the Leafs ***DO*** have 4 goals scored afterall. That’s 4 goals total, they’ve only actually scored goals in 3 of those 7 Saturdays.

279. Da Hema says:

Why shouldn’t the CBC do so? After all, the great Brian Burke just traded the bestest defenceman who ever played in the history of the game to the Brooins. Surely that warrants pages and pages and pages of news!

280. Danno says:

Down with Bettman poster?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

281. 25 cups says:

LOL, I was thinking about a CBC SUCKS poster but can’t be bothered.

282. Chuck says:

Good dog. Now go lie down.

283. Bill J says:

Seen your way, I am now crying about Gomez.

Way to go!

:P

284. Bill J says:

I dunno seeing Crosby go without scoring goals in Pittsburgh does rank above Gomez’s streak.

What’s that you say ?  Crosby is injured ?

Oh….

Ehm…

Still better … so there!

285. Trisomy 21 says:

Not to mention Crosby could still return this year. Whereas Gomez will not only remain for the year, He is returning for what feels like eternity with the same cap hit. Someone looking at this objectively would have a much more enjoyable time laughing about the Gomez situation.

286. NightRyder says:

It’s only fun until Crosby returns.

Then the painful realization that Gomez is still here will hit you again.

287. Bill J says:

LOL if we are truly comparing Gomez to Crosby as you did of course.

But seeing Pittsburgh sweat without Crosby is much better then seeing the Habs sweat because Gomez can’t find his offensive game….

288. NightRyder says:

A concussed Crosby could still do better than 9 goals in 91 games. Red Fisher could probably probably pop in that many.

289. NightRyder says:

I’ve never had more fun watching a guy go 17 straight games without a goal.

290. observer says:

just as gainey emerges from the woodwork, the team looks like garbage again.

291. habstrinifan says:

I dont think he said Pierre Gauthier is resting on his laurels. I think he said, as of RIGHT NOW, Pierre Gauthier is resting on his arse.

But I may be wrong!

292. observer says:

He played and lived there.

293. Danno says:

I saw that too. It must be a mistake as it has not been confirmed anywhere else…Yet anyways.

Let’s hope it’s wrong.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

294. fun police says:

just read from buffalo columnist that spacek was done for the year?  this has not been reported yet has it?  hopefully he is incorrect.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/inside-the-nhl/article346781.ece  scroll down to section on habs.

295. Bugs says:

That was uhhh…yeah, that was bad.

It was like, sure, the bouncing puck was a sunovabish, but it was like “Our defence gone, I mean, we got Mara back ferpetessakes, and it’s cold, and the puck is just killin us and the other team’s just gettin all the lucky bounces and when we try anything, we get a damn penalty. We can’t win, so the hell with this.” It was really bad.

I mean, the Flames weren’t even that good. It was just stupid. Ugly stupid.

You know what? I don’t even like this game. Never have. Why I watch it, I don’t know. It’s just…pointless. And I hate it. Now if you’ll…(mmp)…if you’ll excuse m…

(sob)

296. Da Hema says:

Everything’s going to be fine, my boy.

297. habsgod says:

come on pierre gauthier  do something please! make a dam trade and shake this team out of it’s funk!don’t sit there on your ass and twiddle your thumbs.

298. Kimberly2u says:

This is where they need a big forward to go through everybody…I hope they get someone soon

299. NightRyder says:

It could have been 5-0 after the first period without Price.

But I agree. He should pitch a shutout every game. Anything less is unacceptable.

300. MontrealAtheist says:

This trip to Western Canada is turning into a disaster and given that we just lost twice in a row to teams that will probably not even make the playoffs in the west one can only hope that the hockey gods show some mercy when we take on the Canucks next. I hope we can keep it in the single digits and then write off this trip as soon as possible. When was the last time a trip to Western Canada resulted in a few wins?

I don’t want to blame Price entirely for these losses since our defense was basically non-existent, but I think it’s fair to say that he was not exactly at his best today.

301. Da Hema says:

Indeed. Price should be winning games even when the Habs do not score any goals. Halak can.

302. Bill J says:

<cough cough> Halak USED to be able to.

Not so much anymore…

303. dre1744 says:

yup  he kept us in the game in the first.

304. Everlasting1 says:

I wouldn’t count them out just yet..it’s a tight race in the West, and they’re almost healthy again with the exception of Perron who’s unlikely to return. The acquisition of Chris Stewart could be that caliber player to fill in for Perron and an improved pp.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

305. saskhabfan says:

Could have been worse,could have been a ducks team losing 9-3 to an injury filled,non playoff bound blues team.

306. habs99 says:

To be honest, making a deal for the sake of making deal does not mean another rebuild. We are not the leafs, and therefore its not about making the playoffs, its about the CUP.

I think we can all agree that season ending injuries to Markov and Gorges accompanied with injuries to other Dmen has been challenging to overcome.  yes, every team has injuries, but I think habs are unique in being at the end of bad luck to having majority of the injuries to one position and simultaneous too.

Let’s couple the fact that our sniper has been out for a month and off to a slow start when he was here.  So now we cant score but we also cant stop scoring because our D is not healthy either yet we are within a game or two away from the division lead.

So what logic does it make to trade for all these Dmen (which by the way are not growing on trees) that would require us to give up something stancial when next year we will be healthier at that position not to mention will have more cap space open in that postion with the departure of Hamr’s 5.5mill contract.

I think getting Mara and Wiz for absolutely nothing is exactly the type of fill-in we need.  Yes, it would be nice to trade ak46 for something but if we think he stinks then what do you think others think?

307. HotHabs says:

vancouver has seen the same rash of injuries on D, but look where they are

308. G-Man says:

Koivu and Tanguay were here already and delivered….nothing.

309. saskhabfan says:

Yeah,i remember all the powerforwards we were able to add when koivu was here for 13 years. They were lining up to play for us.

310. Habs1st says:

I believe Vancouver’s rash of injuries on D were recent, not months ago (as is the case with Markov and Gorges).  They’ve been at or near the top of the league for most of the season.  Add in the fact that two of the top three players in the NHL points race play for the Canucks and you have a different situation.  This is just another point in the argument for the Habs to score more!  You take away two of our best defensemen and we’re in trouble.  We need to score!  Its similar to when we’d lose 1 – 0 or 2 – 1 and people would blame Price!  We need to score more!

311. Habs1st says:

Well said!

The injuries to Markov and Gorges definitely hurt, but we still need to score!  And they were there primarily to help prevent the other team from scoring, not to lead our team in scoring!  Hence the need for more from Cammalleri, AK46, Gomez, Pax, etc., etc.

312. observer says:

go trade away a half dozen #2 picks a couple of #1s for players who dont last a year what do you expect? would yankees have an old gm who never ever won a championship in 30 years in the league and on his 3rd gm job? this is a prestigious franchise? give me a break!

313. LA Loyalist says:

I’ll bet money on Poo. He has shown flashes of real serious talent. as to his development… JM?

Otherwise you’re right. JM has to go. Even if we were losing 6-5 it would be more fun than this.

314. NightRyder says:

I see exactly the same thing I saw last year – a middling hockey team with good goaltending. That netminding could win us a round or two, but we lack both the top-end talent and the depth necessary to go four rounds.

We have one player whom you might consider a legitimate NHL first-liner in Cammalleri, and one (at this point) legit first-pairing d-man who is out for the year (and it seems every year) in Markov. After that, we have had to overpay for role players (Gomez, Gionta, Hamrlik, Spacek) who are given star-level minutes and eat up large chunks of our salary cap.

Our prospects are either unproven (Subban, Pacioretty), underwhelming (Kostitsyn) or non-existent. Pleks is a decent second-line player, but you aren’t going anywhere if all you produce over an extended span is one decent second-liner. And the other puds we bring in as fillers (Moen, Pouliot, Mara etc.) just aren’t good enough.

The above mentioned servicable role players and the fill-in puds will always keep us in the battle for a playoff spot. As a GM, this keeps away the braying critics. As a coach, JM’s stupefyingly boring system does the same. Win just enough to keep your job.

But as it’s constructed now (as it was last year), it is a team that has no chance to win the Stanley Cup, unless Price turns into a combination of Roy, Dryden, Plante, Durnan and Vezina.

315. W35T5ID3 says:

I know,and you put in such simple words to understand.PG are ya listening???

316. Kimberly2u says:

There are not enough words to say how horrible that way…until they decide to make some changes we aren’t going anywhere….they only way to win a game is to score and that has to be addressed

317. Trisomy 21 says:

This seems like a reasonable time to be concerned. W’ve lost 6 of the last 7, teams around us are improving, Buffalo is 9 points behind and has 2 games at hand, and they are playing much better. I find it hard to forget how the season ended last year… Also there’s next year to worry about, we have alot of UFAs to sign on the back end

318. longbow says:

With all due respect,even when this team is winning they don’t have what it takes to go all the way.It’s time to make some moves to get better down the road.I suggested yesterday offering Hamrlik to Vancouver. They need D-men and with Hammer being UFA it’s our last chance to get something in return. I’d ask for Cody Hodgson. We could probably get something for Webber too somewhere. I’d also get Yemelin here.He says he doesn’t want to play in Hamilton ? Fine with me.Playing on the smaller NHL rink will only make him more effective.If we have to package Kostitsyn with someone from Hamilton to get rid of him then do it. Honestly,looking at what is left down there,they are all expendable.There are all kinds of possibilities to make this team better either by acquiring better players or draft picks. One thing is for sure,doing nothing won’t help.

319. dre1744 says:

Calm  down people…  Why does  everyone  push the panic  botton  everytime this team  loses a couple of games.   they will turn it around  win a few games  and once again everyone will be happy.

Besides if we make a trade evryone on here will be pissed cause we got ripped off on it.

320. blueline says:

You can’t be serious. It’s a joke, right? Why didn’t you add several other notable ‘achievements’ in Gainey’s career as Habs GM. Here’s some you missed:

• signing the 8 million dollar – seven goal – minus 18 ‘star’ forward
    • not negotiating contracts or extensions during the season so that those players simply walk away as free agents during the summer with absolutely nothing to show for the loss of those assets
    • dismantling the number one power play in the NHL
    • screwing over a coach (Carbonneau) who managed to accomplish far more with the very limited offensive talent provided for him
    • making scapegoats out of Koivu and Kovalev by making it appear that they were the reasons the Habs weren’t more successful
    • sitting on his hands for years and not getting any players like Gionta or Cammaleri to help out and take some of the scoring pressure placed squarely (and unfairly) on players like Koivu and Kovalev
    • acquiring Tanguay for two first round draft picks then letting him go after a year with nothing to show for it, except the loss of two draft picks

There are probably a few others I missed, but I think the point has been made. If you’re going to assess the relative merits of any GM then you’ve got to look at the entire record in order to arrive at a sensible conclusion. Now that would make real hockey sense.

321. habs99 says:

You are kidding me right?  what players did Gainey not try to get?  was it Briere?  Symth? Lecavalier? Sorry which player said I would love to play for the habs, but Gainey did not offer me a contract?  None.

He dismantled the team and we make it to the conference semis but that was all Halak, right?  Guess what Halak is on his own now and we all no its wasnt because of Halak.

When the entire city was freaking out to keep souray, he let him go to offer Markov the big deal.  when everyone wanted us to keep komi, he let him go.  Guess how souray and komi are doing?

The only think I wish was to keep koivu.  but you will not believe this, Gainey did koviu a favour, he needed to let him go…why?  fanatics that love ppl one day, hate him the next…he’s too small, doesnt speak french, blah blah, blah.

322. blueline says:

So you’re telling me that after trying to sign those three and not succeeding (for various reasons that I’m sure we all don’t know about) Gainey should have stopped looking and done nothing further! His performance as GM should be judged on actual accomplishments, not hypothetical could-have-beens.

While some players may not want to come here you need to determine why. Is it a matter of not enough money. Or they don’t like being under scrutiny to perform. Or taxes too high. Or they only want to play for a real contender. Or they don’t like the way the organisation is being handled. The reasons are many and varied. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t quality players with heart and skills who wouldn’t want to play here.

One kid growing up was a huge Habs fan and would have loved to be drafted by them. His name…Sidney Crosby. So don’t tell me that no one wants to play here.

323. Habs1st says:

Very well said!  Briere was offered the same deal he got from Philly and didn’t want to play in Montreal!  Smyth didn’t want to play in Montreal either.  Gainey tried, but Lecavalier would have cost too much to get and people would have been complaining that we are stuck with his untradeable contract as soon as he didn’t perform!  I was sorry to see Koivu go too, but I don’t think we would be in any different position than we are now.  Koivu is a great leader, I’m assuming a great person too, but never was a huge goal scorer or pure sniper – which is more of what we need.  And it has been said that Cammalleri and Gionta signed with Montreal because we picked up Gomez.  Cammalleri also has stated that he didn’t want to sign with Toronto because he didn’t want to live in the off season in the same place he plays hockey!  Maybe its the same for a lot of French Canadian players, i.e. Briere, Lecavalier, St. Louis, etc.

324. Habs1st says:

Okay dude what are you smoking????  I did not state that Gainey stopped or should have stopped!  Gainey tried.  He drafted Carey Price among others.  Oh, and in case you’ve forgotten, Gainey only stepped down on February 8th of last year, therefore the team that made it the Conference Finals was Gainey built team!

To illustrate your point, why don’t you list players Gainey didn’t go after?  And while you’re at it, explain how certain players would have played better in Montreal than they are right now?

Year after year there are a limited number of top quality elite players available.  You simply don’t get the Ovechkins, Crosbys, Malkins, Lecavaliers, etc., hitting the UFA market.  And its not like if the top 20 players in each position are available as UFAs year after year.  With any UFAs, almost every team in the league is vying for them.

I’m still at a loss for why you mention Sydney Crosby and the fact that he “would have loved to be drafted by them.”  That statement with respect to this argument is mind-boggling.  Sure a lot of players would love to play for their favorite teams, but the vast majority of them know that won’t happen.  Ya, I’m sure Crosby would love to have been drafted by the Habs and would love to play for them.  But that wasn’t his choice nor was it Montreal’s, or any other team for that matter.  In case you’ve forgotten, Pittsburgh won the draft lottery and WON the right to select Crosby.  As for Crosby leaving, hmmmmm…. let’s see… stay in Pittsburgh to play with a guy named Malkin, a goaltender named Marc-Andre Fluery, a guy named Staal, etc., etc., etc. OR go to my favorite boyhood team, a hockey-crazed city where I can’t take a piss without someone is criticizing or questioning it, I’d have noooooooooo personal life, oh ya, and where I wouldn’t have nearly as good of a team surrounding me as I do in Pittsburgh…. hmmmmm tough decision!  NOT!

Oh, and over the past 25 years or so, I’ve only known two occassions where a top drafted player had stated they would not play for the team that drafted them.  Mario Lemieux was one – and we all know how that ended up!  They settled and Mario had a great career in Pittsburgh.  The other was Eric Lindros.  And I’m sure the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche were happy enough (in hind-sight) to get a guy by the name of Peter Forsberg as part of that trade!

Don’t get me wrong, I’d LOVE to see Crosby in a Montreal jersey and hopefully after the 2012/13 season he’ll leave Pittsburgh and join the Habs!  But I just don’t see it happening.  Oh ya, I’m sure the Pens will just let him walk as a UFA too.

325. SeriousFan09 says:

“I bet CBC Talks about Toronto  more than Montreal today” poster.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

326. Top Corner says:

A  flask full of fireball perhaps….for a little ‘nip’ between periods…LOL

Have a blast !!!   GO HABS GO !!!!!

327. 25 cups says:

three pairs of long underwear, polar fleece undershirt, wool socks, boots, hoodie (or bunnyhug as they call it in saskachatoon), habs jersey, habs toque, blanket… am I forgetting anything?

328. tricolore says:

Ouch, that one hurt.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

329. 25 cups says:

pickin my ticket up from GrimJim at the alcove before the game

330. 25 cups says:

hmmmmmm….

331. observer says:

And Redlight Racicot’s net.

332. Everlasting1 says:

Prices’ mask creepy? It’s tacky. Plante’s eyes and mouth with Prices’ hair and ears lol.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

333. SmartDog says:

Wow. Such blazing insight.

334. dre1744 says:

we are guareenteed nothing will happen.   Well Maybe  Hamrlik and Andrei  have  been  hanging out with hookers  and Gangsters again!!!!!!

335. habstrinifan says:

Latest from Eklund…  “I am also told that following the classic Montreal could be very interesting to watch tonight…”

Scoff all you want I am staying up all night!

336. Top Corner says:

even with PG and BG’s 30 yrs of CFL experience they couldnt pull that off???  what a joke organization

almost bedtime :)

337. observer says:

Should have signed a couple of Alouettes offensive tackles to play defense tonight.

338. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Section M, row 12!  And the beer garden.  Often.

339. WestHab says:

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic? See me in Section “i” row 20 seat 20.

340. Ghosts of the Forum says:

Leaving for McMahon in an hour.  See y’all there!!!!

341. Da Hema says:

Was it Oscar Wilde who wrote “consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative?” You must be very imaginative!

342. adam76 says:

These outdoor events are a coin toss. Go out, have fun and don’t get hurt.

343. observer says:

And to sell new style of tuques to the public.

344. observer says:

Bad ice surface maybe, but Mara has got his special skates now.

345. Say Ash says:

Mara will have them change their style of play, I assure you…

346. TomNickle says:

A game on this ice surface is tremendously advantageous for the Flames.  Bad ice, no travel, home crowd, cold conditions.  Looking forward to see if our players can change their style of game to counter act the loss of speed they’ll experience tonight.

347. NightRyder says:

I will be there, cheering openly for Scott Gomez and the Montreal Canadiens.

Later, I will be here, openly wishing Scott Gomez would go somewhere else.

348. habsfan0 says:

I smell an upset in Vancouver…burp..

349. Storm Man says:

Well now Im all warm again :) where do i start. Great event suck the wrong team won, Now what I don’t understand is the line i call the no heart line 11-46-32 Why does JM have this line? please someone tell me. Calgary is a better TEAM at this point. I have never bashed a player who plays for the habs but a few on this team are making me come close.

350. hab_skill says:

Looking forward to the game but not really sure if the habs can win this one… Hopefully they pull it off. Cammy hat trick?

351. WindsorHab-10 says:

Just watched the difference.

352. _Habsoloutly_ says:

go habs go!

353. habsgod says:

we will win this game with cammalleri scoring 2 and setting up 2 more

354. Thomas says:

Well that was embarrassing….Thing is though, I love this team.  I may not like some of the players, cough ak46 cough gomez, but its the team I love.  It sucks loosing, and especially like that, and especially when i’m in the stands, but you know what, we’re not gonna win every game.

Today was a great event, and I hope we can be lucky enough to be apart of something like that again soon.  As brutal as the result was, and it was B>A>D>BAD, it was still alot of fun being there, alot of fun cheering on our team.  So on to the next game, hopefully this slump of ours will end soon

355. habscout says:

Is it just me, or do the Habs seem to be playing some very uninspired hockey lately ? They’ve had 1 win in the past 7 games, and while they have had a lot of injuries, I am getting fearful for them making the playoffs if this continues.

356. Da Hema says:

Just gives Bugs a carrot…or an enema. That should placate him.

357. habstrinifan says:

Here here sonny! Please go with these two men in the white coat. They’ll take care of you.

ooops meant for the poor sod you responded to. please pass it along.

358. tricolore says:

OK Calgary, stop showing off. Take it easy on them.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

359. LA Loyalist says:

Um, maybe they didn’t ‘splain this to you at CGEP — Calgary played in the same conditions we did.

This team will not be playing hockey in May. Sorry. Yes partially due to injuries, but mainly due to bad management, bad coaching and the ill-conceived structure of the team.

360. HABZ24 says:

what a ueless pathetic embarrassing performance or lack of performance.

361. Mark C says:

Last game against the Leafs? You mean the 3-0 shutout for Montreal? Yes time for more meds.

Relex a bit, all teams have crap performances, I don’t think Montreal has anymore than anyone else.

362. deuce6 says:

As is, this team is going nowhere..I really hope PG is a seller at the dealine and not a buyer..Letting UFAs walk for nothing is getting kind of old..Is there a market for Hammer, AK, Gomez?

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?