Game 60: Flames freeze out Canadiens

Flames’ Rene Bourque scores the first goal of the Heritage Classic against Carey Price on Sunday night. Andre Ringuette, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Sunday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits/About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Game story

AUDIO: Carey Price 1 and 2 | Tomas Plekanec | James Wisniewski | Paul Mara

• At a Glance: The horrible ice at McMahon Stadium was slanted only one way on Sunday night as the Calgary Flames defeated the Canadiens 4-0 during the 2011 Heritage Classic. Rene Bourque scored 8:09 into the game when he redirected an Alex Tanguay pass beyond Carey Price during a 5-on-3 power play. In the second period, the Flames scored a pair of goals two minutes apart to seal the win. Anton Babchuk scored a shorthanded goal after a miscue in the Montreal zone 12:44 into the second period. Bourque scored his second of the game at 14:46 when he broke in on Price and avoided the goaltender’s poke check and slid the puck under Price’s outstretched pad. Tanguay added salt to the wound in the third period with a power-play goal of his own at the 10:53 mark.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens outshot the Flames 21-11 in the second period, but were outscored 2-0, ending any hope the Canadiens have of winning the game.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost three straight and falls to 31-22-7 and remains stuck at 69 points, good for sixth place in the Eastern Conference. The Canadiens have been outscored 8-1 over the last two games in Western Canada.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are headed west to play the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday before returning home to host the Toronto Maple Leafs next Thursday.

1. hab_skill says:

I would love the habs to trade for Dustin Brown. Hits hard and scores goals. Weber, maxwell and a first for Brown?

2. habs365 says:

That would be a good pick up..don’t think LA would go for it

3. BJT says:

That’s the nature of trades nowadays. If you want something good, you have to give something good too. I do, however, agree that would be too much: I’d say AK & a 1st rounder for Stewart woulda been fair.

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’ ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

4. TomNickle says:

This isn’t a video game or a fantasy draft.  You don’t trade young developing players for one piece that isn’t of superstar quality.

5. BJT says:

Because they could get you something(s) very nice you need more than those two in return, maybe?

6. TomNickle says:

So trade a 20 goal scorer, a potential powerplay quarterback and a 1st round pick for a 30 goal scorer?

That’s a lot to pay for 10 extra goals and 50 more bodychecks.

7. EricInStL says:

Me thinks Crosby = Lindros…

“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject”–Winston Churchill

8. scrowe21 says:

Switch Eller with AK and it should have gotten us Chris Stewart.. F**k.

9. TomNickle says:

Eller, Weber and a 1st could get you a lot.  But Eller and Weber are both very cheap and still have a lot of developing to do.  Why trade them?

10. TomNickle says:

The market for players not in their contract years has been set.

Beauchemin fetched Lupul, Gardiner and a 4th.

Fisher fetched a 1st round pick and possibly a 2nd.

Erik Johnson and a 1st round pick fetched Stewart, Shattenkirk and a 2nd rounder.

Versteeg, a 1st and a 3rd.

I don’t want Pierre Gauthier buying anymore than he already has.  The only package I would be willing to put together if I were Gauthier could consist of Kostitsyn, Maxwell, Carle, Bennett, Kristo, Ramo, Trotter, Yemelin, Hamrlik, Spacek, Picard, Moen and Pyatt.

No more trading picks.

11. BJT says:

So guys, what do you think a package of Eller, Weber, 1st rd. pick and/or 2nd rd. pick could get us in return?

12. novahab says:

Well first it isn’t about what Pittsburg wants its about what the Crobsys want. Second no one in their right mind would ever trade Gretsky right in his prime. The thid thing is ML doesn’t want to own the the Pens any more he just using that blow up as an excuse.

13. habs365 says:

good player, can’t see it happening

14. TomNickle says:

Why exactly would the team with the deepest group of prospects in the NHL trade their captain for one player who doesn’t have an NHL goal through approximately thirty games, a promising but small defenseman and a pick that will be in the lower half of the first round?

Brown is their most versatile player and their leader.  They won’t trade him for spare parts.

Now if you wanted to speculate that we could trade Kostitsyn and a couple of high picks to them, then yeah, that’s almost believable.

15. Bugs says:

I liked Mr.Arizona’s “If a frog had wings, it wouldn’t bump its azz a-hoppin.”

16. SeriousFan09 says:

I prefer when no one dignifies Cherry’s nonsense with an answer. Why give a buffoon recognition?

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

17. Curtis O Habs says:

Banana peels.

18. BJT says:

‘If you’re discussing trading Eller, Weber and a 1st.  The return has to be a top 10 to top 5 NHL defenseman or a top 10 scorer.’

Yes, I agree. Took ya a while, but you only just now answered my original question 😛

19. BJT says:

“Kostitsyn, Maxwell, Carle, Bennett, Kristo, Ramo, Trotter, Yemelin, Hamrlik, Spacek, Picard, Moen and Pyatt.”

That’s quite a large trade package. I don’t suppose you meant ‘or’? 😀

20. TomNickle says:

I still feel you’re overpaying in that spot.  Stewart is effective, but there isn’t a big enough difference between Kostitsyn and Stewart that you could justify a 1st round pick being added to sweeten the pot.

If you want to make a deal where you’re sending prospects and or picks to acquire a star, you need to indentify a team who needs to shed salary who can also afford to lose the star.

21. scrowe21 says:

I dont even know why Im wasting my time with this because its over and never gunna happen but, Chris Stewart is only 23. You could say he is a potential 40 goal scorer. He constantly goes to the net, stands up for his teammates, wont back down from anyone. I like AK a lot but most people agree that Andrei isn’t gunna pan out here and hes gunna be shipped out at some point anyway. So yeah its a lot to give up, but Stewart hasn’t reached his prime yet and is already what MTL needed. To say you’re paying for 10 extra goals and 50 more bodychecks is ridiculous. He doesn’t float around like Andrei does. Stewart would show up every game and come up huge in games against Boston and Philly.

22. TomNickle says:

So you’d like your 40 goal scorer fighting?

Andrei Kostitsyn is only 26.  Gonna tell me he doesn’t have the skill set to score 40 in the NHL?

If your trading is based on potential.  I’ll argue that Kostitsyn’s offensive potential based on skill and talent blows Stewart’s out of the water.

Stewart is a better player.  But you can’t trade based on potential, and you can’t assume that Stewart will score 40 goals in the NHL.  Wanna know why?  Everyone assumed it about Kostitsyn, and look where we are today.

So, four years ago there was probably some guy out there who wanted his team to give up a 20 goal scorer, and a first round pick for Kostitsyn, that would have worked out pretty damn well for the Habs in all likelihood.

See what I’m saying?

23. TomNickle says:

Well, you tell me a GM who you think would part with a superstar for that package.

24. TomNickle says:

Los Angeles doesn’t need prospects or picks that will get them more prospects.  The value of Weber and Eller to Los Angeles is lower than it would be for every other team in the NHL.  They simply don’t have enough roster spots to get their prepared prospects into the lineup.

A team like Colorado, even though they draft well, could immediately insert Weber and Eller into their lineups and they could play big roles.

25. BJT says:

Would? That’s not for me to say; I don’t know.

Could? Well, Eller + Weber + 1st and/or 2nd rounder…

I could see that fetching somebody like Corey Perry if Anaheim wanted to rebuild. Brad Richards in his contract year. Iggy, Kesler, maybe Claude Giroux. Maybe Backstrom or Sharp.

26. T-roy West says:

How come you elevate their potential in a trade for Stewart but a couple of posts below it you down play their worth in a trade with L.A.?

27. TomNickle says:

Yes I would trade all of them in the same deal.

Sheesh.

28. BJT says:

Well, to me Stewart seems to be what we’d like AK to turn into (I see it as an 70-80% chance), so if we trade AK straight up for Stewart that’s obviously a rip off, so then you throw in a 1st round pick so that Stl. can now draft somebody else, who would have maybe a 20-30% chance of drafting somebody (hopefully late in the 1st) that would turn into a Stewart calibre player. Seems fair to me.

29. BJT says:

I take it ‘joke’ isn’t a word in your vocabulary

30. TomNickle says:

Think of it like this.  Would you be happy if Gauthier traded Price to the Kings for Quick, Teubert and Simmonds?

31. scrowe21 says:

Lol..wasting your time.

Depends on the who the crowd cheers loudest for and home ice still has the last change.

33. scrowe21 says:

Im not trading based on potential. You brought potential up, Weber as a potential pp quarterback.. but didn’t say anything about Stewarts potential, thats all. Anyways im out, every debate on this site turns into a never ending frustrating waste of time. Like I said, trade isnt going to happen, I just answered the original question with a simple answer, the end.

34. TomNickle says:

Which is exactly why trying to add another player right now is a bad idea.  If anything, I would be selling off some players who hold little value to this team but could help a playoff team substantially.

A player like Hamrlik, Spacek or Moen could be tremendously valuable for a young, playoff bound team like Los Angeles, Phoenix or Dallas.

And in trade scenarios with those teams we could acquire young players or picks in return.

35. BJT says:

*facepalm*

36. savethepuck says:

A seller is not going to want Hamr, Spac or Moen, unless it is necessary for us to dump their salary’s to make the deal work.

37. TomNickle says:

We’re just going back and forth here.  If you’re willing to give up a first round pick for 10 more goals(if you’re lucky) 50 more bodychecks(if you’re lucky) then more power to you pal.

That’s called Mike Milbury or John Ferguson management in my book.

38. JohnBellyful says:

For today’s game played in the open
    A Habs win is what I am hopin’
    A win and two points
    Would warm up their joints
    While a loss would sure leave me mopin’

(Bugs, thanks for the reminder, I forgot HIO Sundays are Poetry on Ice)

39. T-roy West says:

It sucks that you feel that every debate ends up to be a waste of time and I agree 100%. It wasn’t always like that. Hope it doesn’t make you stop posting. For the record there isn’t much of a debate when it comes to Stewart and AK46. One is a future star and the other is a lost cause. I’ve liked Stewart for awhile. Cheers!!

40. TomNickle says:

So trading to add Chris Stewart isn’t an acquisition based on you thinking he’ll score 40 goals.  Could have fooled me based on what you’ve been saying.

41. TomNickle says:

I guess me saying Stewart is a better player was a part of that post you skipped over.

42. scrowe21 says:

Man..Give it up! I ONLY said anything about Stewart being a potential 40 goal scorer because you mentioned AKs and Webers potential but only classified Stewart as a 30 goal scorer and didn’t say anything about his potential. I’d be happy to have Stewart the way he is now…I dont know what you want me to say.. ALL I did was answer a question. I already agreed with you that it would have been a lot to give up for him.

So does anyone have the LINES and D pairings.???

44. BJT says:

*double facepalm*

45. TomNickle says:

Run along now child.

46. TomNickle says:

And with Stewart as he is now, you only acquire ten more goals and fifty more checks if you’re lucky.  Which is why I said that I wouldn’t do it.

I’m not looking for you to say anything.  But it sure seems that you fellas have a problem with somebody who doesn’t want to trade the farm away to add a player who isn’t a top 25 or even 50 player in the NHL.

47. T-roy West says:

Nope, I caught that which makes it even more interesting. You really wouldn’t trade Ak46, Weber and a 1st for Stewart? When you look at the future crop that will be showing up in the next few years then you began to realize how important a young Stewart would be to this team and even for this playoffs.

48. TomNickle says:

Don’t waste your time, smacking yourself in the head won’t improve your brain power.  It’s too far gone kiddo.

49. TomNickle says:

Are you guys twelve years old?  What’s with this fascination of acting like brats who’ve been denied an extra hour of tv time late at night?

If you want to have a discussion, you have to acknowledge the other persons’ position as much as your own.  Doesn’t mean you have to agree with it.  But being condescending and immature only speaks to the narrowmindedness with which you conduct yourselves.

50. fbkj says:

you think so? not sure if colorado would have bitten… one could dream tho

51. TomNickle says:

Kostitsyn, Weber and a 1st round pick.

Now, lets look at that.

1. Andrei Kostitsyn – If he gets to twenty goals this year it will be his third season out of the last four with 20 goals and last season he scored 15 in 59 games.  Stewart in his third season has only scored 20 goals once.  No better, no worse.  Chris Stewart, the alleged prototype power forward had only 30 hits in 36 games in Colorado.  Kostitsyn has 108 hits in 58 games this season.  So who’s more effective?  Kostitsyn is 26 and Stewart is 23.  Who’s to say which one has more upside or potential?

I think if you measure how effective these players are while in the lineup you’ll find they’re remarkably close.

2. Yannick Weber has defied the odds in making the NHL, he hasn’t been overwhelmed physically even though many suggested he would be.  He has ten points in 30 games for the Habs this year in limited icetime and these are essentially his first 30 games in the NHL.  He can do nothing but grow.

3. Our first round pick could still realistically be a lottery pick or close to it.  Why would we give up the possibility of landing a blue chip prospect on top of trading Weber and Kostitsyn for one roster player whose effectiveness is similar to a player we’re already including in the trade?

52. TomNickle says:

No.  You aren’t acting that age.

53. savethepuck says:

We are fighting for home ice advantage in the playoffs so there is no way I will be willing to give up active roster players for prospects unless we have someone who can do their job as well or better. I am Ok with us not making major improvements for the playoffs, but us getting worse for the next 1 1/2 months is totally unacceptable.

54. savethepuck says:

55. savethepuck says:

56. TomNickle says:

Trading Moen doesn’t make us worse at all in my opinion and I don’t feel losing Hamrlik or Spacek would lessen our playoff chances whatsoever.  But that’s just my opinion.

If you trade one of Spacek or Hamrlik you’re still left with Subban, Gill, Wisniewski, Weber, Picard, Mara and one of the two remaining.

57. T-roy West says:

At the risk of seeming paranoid Tom, because your answer could be clever( acting like younger than twelve or slightly higher), gotta ask ya……. were you talking about me at all or other people, lol.

58. scrowe21 says:

Coming from the guy (Tom) who is trying to be clever with insults and wont shut his mouth even though everyone agreed to drop it. lol

59. scrowe21 says:

Actually im gunna edit this post and bite again, Im acting 12? You’re unbelievable. Yes I actually hit myself in the face moron. I know you’re joking, but why do you feel the need to bring out the insults just because people are *facepalming* because you are insanely difficult and annoying to talk too.. yes..Im the one acting like a kid.

60. Danno says:

As I sit with my chips and a cold brewski

I am delighted to hear that Wisniewski

Is one tough hombre with heart

And will take part

To play in Calgary where it’s as cold as Rimouski

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

61. T-roy West says:

I’ll reply after the game Tom because this topic is important to me.

62. TomNickle says:

Thank you.

63. waisguy says:

Hey guys. I was wondering why the American national anthem as both teams are Canadian.

64. Kimberly2u says:

I was wondering that too but Gill and Gomez are American…maybe some of the flames are too…found it kinda strange

65. jimmy shaker says:

looked like it was off his skate to me…..anyone else?  And sorry to say everyone, flames score first, they’re gonna win!

Shaker

66. HabsFanInTampa says:

Wow, great view of the game. The camera is so close to the action. It should be like this with all the games.

67. HabsFanInTampa says:

Out of respect for the American players playing on these two Canadian-based teams.

68. HabsFanInTampa says:

I may be wrong, but isn’t the French verse only performed in Quebec and Ottawa?

69. Kimberly2u says:

They sung it the other night when they played Edmonton…I was surprised

70. JohnBellyful says:

Here’s a suggestion: Go with one referee. Have the other patch the corners when play is in the other end.

71. observer says:

Why? Probably Bettman’s idea? Game is also on Versus and they’ve been saying all day in the earlier games today “it’s hockey day in America today”.

72. JohnBellyful says:

PK, what’s with these slapshot passes?

73. kmachabs27 says:

this is pathetic….no one is skating.

74. savethepuck says:

One of the few games with two Canadian teams that is also being televised in the USA. It’s Hocky Day in America>

75. jimmy shaker says:

Ya, I went beyond shitting the bed!!!

Shaker