Game 60: Flames freeze out Canadiens

Flames’ Rene Bourque scores the first goal of the Heritage Classic against Carey Price on Sunday night. Andre Ringuette, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Sunday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits/About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Game story

AUDIO: Carey Price 1 and 2 | Tomas Plekanec | James Wisniewski | Paul Mara

• At a Glance: The horrible ice at McMahon Stadium was slanted only one way on Sunday night as the Calgary Flames defeated the Canadiens 4-0 during the 2011 Heritage Classic. Rene Bourque scored 8:09 into the game when he redirected an Alex Tanguay pass beyond Carey Price during a 5-on-3 power play. In the second period, the Flames scored a pair of goals two minutes apart to seal the win. Anton Babchuk scored a shorthanded goal after a miscue in the Montreal zone 12:44 into the second period. Bourque scored his second of the game at 14:46 when he broke in on Price and avoided the goaltender’s poke check and slid the puck under Price’s outstretched pad. Tanguay added salt to the wound in the third period with a power-play goal of his own at the 10:53 mark.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens outshot the Flames 21-11 in the second period, but were outscored 2-0, ending any hope the Canadiens have of winning the game.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost three straight and falls to 31-22-7 and remains stuck at 69 points, good for sixth place in the Eastern Conference. The Canadiens have been outscored 8-1 over the last two games in Western Canada.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are headed west to play the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday before returning home to host the Toronto Maple Leafs next Thursday.

1. scrowe21 says:

Man..Give it up! I ONLY said anything about Stewart being a potential 40 goal scorer because you mentioned AKs and Webers potential but only classified Stewart as a 30 goal scorer and didn’t say anything about his potential. I’d be happy to have Stewart the way he is now…I dont know what you want me to say.. ALL I did was answer a question. I already agreed with you that it would have been a lot to give up for him.

So does anyone have the LINES and D pairings.???

3. BJT says:

*double facepalm*

Formerly known as Camel_Larry.. ‘Sub-BAM! What a hit!’ ..”No more Looser on this teams!!” – Canadienboy

4. TomNickle says:

Run along now child.

5. TomNickle says:

And with Stewart as he is now, you only acquire ten more goals and fifty more checks if you’re lucky.  Which is why I said that I wouldn’t do it.

I’m not looking for you to say anything.  But it sure seems that you fellas have a problem with somebody who doesn’t want to trade the farm away to add a player who isn’t a top 25 or even 50 player in the NHL.

6. T-roy West says:

Nope, I caught that which makes it even more interesting. You really wouldn’t trade Ak46, Weber and a 1st for Stewart? When you look at the future crop that will be showing up in the next few years then you began to realize how important a young Stewart would be to this team and even for this playoffs.

7. TomNickle says:

Don’t waste your time, smacking yourself in the head won’t improve your brain power.  It’s too far gone kiddo.

8. TomNickle says:

Are you guys twelve years old?  What’s with this fascination of acting like brats who’ve been denied an extra hour of tv time late at night?

If you want to have a discussion, you have to acknowledge the other persons’ position as much as your own.  Doesn’t mean you have to agree with it.  But being condescending and immature only speaks to the narrowmindedness with which you conduct yourselves.

9. fbkj says:

you think so? not sure if colorado would have bitten… one could dream tho

10. TomNickle says:

Kostitsyn, Weber and a 1st round pick.

Now, lets look at that.

1. Andrei Kostitsyn – If he gets to twenty goals this year it will be his third season out of the last four with 20 goals and last season he scored 15 in 59 games.  Stewart in his third season has only scored 20 goals once.  No better, no worse.  Chris Stewart, the alleged prototype power forward had only 30 hits in 36 games in Colorado.  Kostitsyn has 108 hits in 58 games this season.  So who’s more effective?  Kostitsyn is 26 and Stewart is 23.  Who’s to say which one has more upside or potential?

I think if you measure how effective these players are while in the lineup you’ll find they’re remarkably close.

2. Yannick Weber has defied the odds in making the NHL, he hasn’t been overwhelmed physically even though many suggested he would be.  He has ten points in 30 games for the Habs this year in limited icetime and these are essentially his first 30 games in the NHL.  He can do nothing but grow.

3. Our first round pick could still realistically be a lottery pick or close to it.  Why would we give up the possibility of landing a blue chip prospect on top of trading Weber and Kostitsyn for one roster player whose effectiveness is similar to a player we’re already including in the trade?

11. TomNickle says:

No.  You aren’t acting that age.

12. savethepuck says:

We are fighting for home ice advantage in the playoffs so there is no way I will be willing to give up active roster players for prospects unless we have someone who can do their job as well or better. I am Ok with us not making major improvements for the playoffs, but us getting worse for the next 1 1/2 months is totally unacceptable.

13. savethepuck says:

14. savethepuck says:

15. TomNickle says:

Trading Moen doesn’t make us worse at all in my opinion and I don’t feel losing Hamrlik or Spacek would lessen our playoff chances whatsoever.  But that’s just my opinion.

If you trade one of Spacek or Hamrlik you’re still left with Subban, Gill, Wisniewski, Weber, Picard, Mara and one of the two remaining.

16. T-roy West says:

At the risk of seeming paranoid Tom, because your answer could be clever( acting like younger than twelve or slightly higher), gotta ask ya……. were you talking about me at all or other people, lol.

17. scrowe21 says:

Coming from the guy (Tom) who is trying to be clever with insults and wont shut his mouth even though everyone agreed to drop it. lol

18. scrowe21 says:

Actually im gunna edit this post and bite again, Im acting 12? You’re unbelievable. Yes I actually hit myself in the face moron. I know you’re joking, but why do you feel the need to bring out the insults just because people are *facepalming* because you are insanely difficult and annoying to talk too.. yes..Im the one acting like a kid.

19. Danno says:

As I sit with my chips and a cold brewski

I am delighted to hear that Wisniewski

Is one tough hombre with heart

And will take part

To play in Calgary where it’s as cold as Rimouski

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

20. T-roy West says:

I’ll reply after the game Tom because this topic is important to me.

21. TomNickle says:

Thank you.

22. waisguy says:

Hey guys. I was wondering why the American national anthem as both teams are Canadian.

23. Kimberly2u says:

I was wondering that too but Gill and Gomez are American…maybe some of the flames are too…found it kinda strange

24. jimmy shaker says:

looked like it was off his skate to me…..anyone else?  And sorry to say everyone, flames score first, they’re gonna win!

Shaker

25. HabsFanInTampa says:

Wow, great view of the game. The camera is so close to the action. It should be like this with all the games.

26. HabsFanInTampa says:

Out of respect for the American players playing on these two Canadian-based teams.

27. HabsFanInTampa says:

I may be wrong, but isn’t the French verse only performed in Quebec and Ottawa?

28. Kimberly2u says:

They sung it the other night when they played Edmonton…I was surprised

29. JohnBellyful says:

Here’s a suggestion: Go with one referee. Have the other patch the corners when play is in the other end.

30. Bugs says:

Gomie to the Cayotes???

I musta misheard…

31. Favorite Son says:

Would be nice cap-wise, but it would also leave a hole at centre. Which centre could they give us? Having said that, it’s not going to happen!

32. Mattyleg says:

So what’s Mara’s injury going to be?

I say… broken ankle. Caught in a crack in the ice.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

33. SmartDog says:

Thank you Bob for doing what I’ve been BEGGING for someone in this organization to do – stand up for PK and tell the whiners to shut up and just play the game.   About time.

34. Danno says:

Mara flings a huge frozen snotsicle into the stands stabbing Bettman in the heart, killing him. Given the game’s first star and becomes Order of Canada recipient.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

35. tricolore says:

Martin? He’s like a walrus just laying down…waiting for food….lol..

Seriously, he is the one of the most disengaged or unanimated coaches leading any team in any sport……

Coaching can make a difference…in what you communicate to players and officials during a game….he’s been beaten a few times by coaches on the the other bench…..won’t be different….let’s just suck it up over the next couple of years…maybe we’lll get a passionate coach next time…..

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

36. observer says:

Gomez in Phoenix would have a large following.

37. Mike T says:

I didn’t like what Martin had to say about it at all.

When Gainey speaks, the hockey world listens. He’s one of the best hockey minds around the league and rarely gets it wrong.

38. observer says:

His favorite skates were injured in shipping by air.

39. Maksimir says:

One can only dream…

40. observer says:

So you don’t like how Martin and Gauthier handled this situation? In that case I agree with you.

41. observer says:

2 teams behind Habs lose Rangers and Sabres. Washington moves 3 points up. Minnesota picks up a point putting them into that tie wit all the teams Calgary is tied with but hold a game in hand on Calgary, so Calgary enters tonight’s game in 10th place in the west.

42. Wayne says:

Ditto. It’s funny because, I was on the fence (sorta) with this whole Subban issue but to hear a former player, let alone Gainey say this, it only makes sense. Kind of an Aqua Velva moment, really.

43. Wayne says:

Gut feeling? Cammy doesn’t want to miss this game for personal reasons (history) and is likely coming back too early IMO. I hope he takes it easy and doesn’t get caught against the boards and goes back to square one with it.

44. Danno says:

Shaker, everyone on the other page agrees including myself. Why the hell didn’t Martin call for the video review?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

45. observer says:

Why? Probably Bettman’s idea? Game is also on Versus and they’ve been saying all day in the earlier games today “it’s hockey day in America today”.

46. savethepuck says:

I blqackberry message with my brother every game and he also said he thought Calgary”s goal may of been kicked in.  I have seen many times this year that we’ve played a horrible 1st and come back to play a great 2nd. I’m still positive.

BTW, I got 4 wrong on my pool this weekend Ott( Anderson stood on his head), St. Louis ( McElhenney couldn’t stop a puck), Phoenix beat Nashville and Washington beat Buffalo.  I think by your post yesterday, you got more wrong than that.

47. Bugs says:

We don’t need them to give us a centre.

48. SmartDog says:

I just wish he’d said it sooner (or Martin or Goat-man) when Cherry was spouting his bafoonery about it.  I’m glad Gainey at least finally stood up, but it’s unfortunate it took so long.  Still…. this is where Bob shines – he actually steps out of the box sometimes.

49. observer says:

he really doesnt usually say much but here he did and i agree with him and also with you about what martin said.

50. Curtis O Habs says:

Where`s all the comments about how the Habs should pick-up Souray on re-entry waivers?

51. savethepuck says:

I prefer “even a broken clock is right twice a day”

52. Bugs says:

There once was a busted-up club

Who flew deep into Alberta’s hub.

There, Gomie was baskin;

Full-bred Alaskan.

And as proof, he was off to the pub.

53. savethepuck says:

He was injured Jan. 18th and expexted to be ot about a month, today is Feb. 20th.  Looks to me like he is right on schedule. I’d doubt they’d let him come back for those reasons unless the training staff was sure he was healthy. I’m only concerned about his timing, he took a long time to get into top offensive form after he returned from injury last year.