Game 60: Flames freeze out Canadiens

Flames’ Rene Bourque scores the first goal of the Heritage Classic against Carey Price on Sunday night. Andre Ringuette, Getty Images

Preview | Matchups | Sunday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits/About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Game story

AUDIO: Carey Price 1 and 2 | Tomas Plekanec | James Wisniewski | Paul Mara

• At a Glance: The horrible ice at McMahon Stadium was slanted only one way on Sunday night as the Calgary Flames defeated the Canadiens 4-0 during the 2011 Heritage Classic. Rene Bourque scored 8:09 into the game when he redirected an Alex Tanguay pass beyond Carey Price during a 5-on-3 power play. In the second period, the Flames scored a pair of goals two minutes apart to seal the win. Anton Babchuk scored a shorthanded goal after a miscue in the Montreal zone 12:44 into the second period. Bourque scored his second of the game at 14:46 when he broke in on Price and avoided the goaltender’s poke check and slid the puck under Price’s outstretched pad. Tanguay added salt to the wound in the third period with a power-play goal of his own at the 10:53 mark.

• Key Moments: The Canadiens outshot the Flames 21-11 in the second period, but were outscored 2-0, ending any hope the Canadiens have of winning the game.

• What It Means: Montreal has lost three straight and falls to 31-22-7 and remains stuck at 69 points, good for sixth place in the Eastern Conference. The Canadiens have been outscored 8-1 over the last two games in Western Canada.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are headed west to play the Vancouver Canucks on Tuesday before returning home to host the Toronto Maple Leafs next Thursday.

1. tricolore says:

Martin? He’s like a walrus just laying down…waiting for food….lol..

Seriously, he is the one of the most disengaged or unanimated coaches leading any team in any sport……

Coaching can make a difference…in what you communicate to players and officials during a game….he’s been beaten a few times by coaches on the the other bench…..won’t be different….let’s just suck it up over the next couple of years…maybe we’lll get a passionate coach next time…..

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

2. Danno says:

Shaker, everyone on the other page agrees including myself. Why the hell didn’t Martin call for the video review?

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

3. savethepuck says:

I blqackberry message with my brother every game and he also said he thought Calgary”s goal may of been kicked in.  I have seen many times this year that we’ve played a horrible 1st and come back to play a great 2nd. I’m still positive.

BTW, I got 4 wrong on my pool this weekend Ott( Anderson stood on his head), St. Louis ( McElhenney couldn’t stop a puck), Phoenix beat Nashville and Washington beat Buffalo.  I think by your post yesterday, you got more wrong than that.

4. duffy says:

They announced all officials are from the west ,is there any doubt who will win .

5. JohnBellyful says:

And no verse in French for the Canadian anthem. Wonder where the order came from.

6. TomNickle says:

Wasn’t referring to you at all.  I’ve enjoyed our conversation, you seem to pay as much attention to what your counterpart says as you do your own opinions.  The other two stomp their feet and giggle when the conversation becomes lost on them.

7. T-roy West says:

Are you asking if “I’m” twelve”?

8. scrowe21 says:

*Triple facepalm*?

9. scrowe21 says:

OK. You’re right, I’m wrong. You win. We’d only be adding 10 more goals and 50 body checks.

10. TomNickle says:

They’re good.  And it was Maxwell I was referring to with the hasn’t scored in 30 games comment.

Weber, Kostitsyn and a 1st round pick is an insane package to put together for one player who isn’t tremendously versatile.

In my opinion, for a package like that you better be getting a perennial Norris candidate back or a Plekanec with more offensive skill.

11. T-roy West says:

Sounded kind of weird that you would say that AK46 hasn’t scored in thirty games and that Weber was a promising but small defensemen then you say AK46 the 20 goal scorer and Weber the potential powerplay quarterback. Do they suck or are they good? Which is it?

12. TomNickle says:

You seem to think that your point is falling on deaf ears.  It’s not.  If you think any of those players would be available based on the package you suggest you’re insane.

13. TomNickle says:

Trading my farm system for one player is a joke to me.  That players name better be Crosby, Stamkos, Keith, Weber or Doughty for me to be on board with it.

14. _Habsoloutly_ says:

Iginla just said yesterday that the team considers it a road game because of the strange ice and boards.  So not really an edge.

15. habs365 says:

Give the edge to Calgary..the teams are about even..Calgary is at home..I hope the Habs win

16. fbkj says:

Pants Buzzed

wizz is in

what a warrior

also: darche put on IR

17. Mattyleg says:

The possibility of that happening is the only reason I’m watching the game.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

18. punkster says:

What’s the old saying? Even a blind squirrel…

This may be your best post E-V-E-R!!!

***Subbang!!!***

19. 25 cups says:

Mara falls on Price and injures him

20. Bugs says:

Gomie to the Cayotes???

I musta misheard…

21. Favorite Son says:

Would be nice cap-wise, but it would also leave a hole at centre. Which centre could they give us? Having said that, it’s not going to happen!

22. Mattyleg says:

So what’s Mara’s injury going to be?

I say… broken ankle. Caught in a crack in the ice.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

23. SmartDog says:

Thank you Bob for doing what I’ve been BEGGING for someone in this organization to do – stand up for PK and tell the whiners to shut up and just play the game.   About time.

24. Danno says:

Mara flings a huge frozen snotsicle into the stands stabbing Bettman in the heart, killing him. Given the game’s first star and becomes Order of Canada recipient.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

25. observer says:

Gomez in Phoenix would have a large following.

26. Mike T says:

I didn’t like what Martin had to say about it at all.

When Gainey speaks, the hockey world listens. He’s one of the best hockey minds around the league and rarely gets it wrong.

27. observer says:

His favorite skates were injured in shipping by air.

28. Maksimir says:

One can only dream…

29. observer says:

So you don’t like how Martin and Gauthier handled this situation? In that case I agree with you.

30. observer says:

2 teams behind Habs lose Rangers and Sabres. Washington moves 3 points up. Minnesota picks up a point putting them into that tie wit all the teams Calgary is tied with but hold a game in hand on Calgary, so Calgary enters tonight’s game in 10th place in the west.

31. Wayne says:

Ditto. It’s funny because, I was on the fence (sorta) with this whole Subban issue but to hear a former player, let alone Gainey say this, it only makes sense. Kind of an Aqua Velva moment, really.

32. Wayne says:

Gut feeling? Cammy doesn’t want to miss this game for personal reasons (history) and is likely coming back too early IMO. I hope he takes it easy and doesn’t get caught against the boards and goes back to square one with it.

33. Bugs says:

We don’t need them to give us a centre.

34. SmartDog says:

I just wish he’d said it sooner (or Martin or Goat-man) when Cherry was spouting his bafoonery about it.  I’m glad Gainey at least finally stood up, but it’s unfortunate it took so long.  Still…. this is where Bob shines – he actually steps out of the box sometimes.

35. observer says:

he really doesnt usually say much but here he did and i agree with him and also with you about what martin said.

36. Curtis O Habs says:

Where`s all the comments about how the Habs should pick-up Souray on re-entry waivers?

37. savethepuck says:

I prefer “even a broken clock is right twice a day”

38. Bugs says:

There once was a busted-up club

Who flew deep into Alberta’s hub.

There, Gomie was baskin;

Full-bred Alaskan.

And as proof, he was off to the pub.

39. savethepuck says:

He was injured Jan. 18th and expexted to be ot about a month, today is Feb. 20th.  Looks to me like he is right on schedule. I’d doubt they’d let him come back for those reasons unless the training staff was sure he was healthy. I’m only concerned about his timing, he took a long time to get into top offensive form after he returned from injury last year.

40. observer says:

60% currently want cherry to stay. need to vote-often!!!!!!!!

41. observer says:

they better do something – the power play sucks right now. besides other things.

42. Da Hema says:

I like “if grasshoppers carried 45s, birds wouldn’t mess with them.”

43. Mattyleg says:

Ha!

—Hope Springs Eternal—

44. Danno says:

Tried that. The thing is stuck at 60 per cent

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

45. Storm Man says:

I hope PG calls Dallas as it seems James Neal is on the market and Dallas is looking for a young puck moving Dman and pick in return. Weber and a 1st round pick works for me. Now Im off to the game :) Go Habs Go Sec 102 is the place to be:)…

46. novahab says:

Pittsburg is hurting big time and there no sign of Crosby coming back soon could they be interested in Gomez. A team that was so strong down the middle is now in trouble down the middle. Then there is still the under neath your breath rumors Crosby wants to play in Montreal. I have meet, talked and worked with Crosby’s dad Troy and he is a very strong influence in Sidney’s life. If the truth was spoken Troy would want his son in Montreal.

47. Mark C says:

Now we’re talking. James Neal makes Dustin Penner look like a hobo.

48. observer says:

dallas gainey. he would be a great addition here. chi leads pitts after 1 if win within 2 points of calgary and te rest at 68 which includes dallas.

49. scrowe21 says:

thats so yesterday…

50. J.Ambrose.OBrien says:

Yeah, just like Markov.

I remember Dec. 31, 1975

51. HABZ24 says:

crosby to mtl? ya what you smokin in that pipe? lol, ya and wayne gretzky and the easter bunny will be his line mates. this outdoor game is a novelty thats run its course, but its interesting with the elements like minus ten.we need this road win, dropping to many road pts.

52. savethepuck says:

I wouldn’t like to lose Weber. Him and PK will be 2 of our top 6 D next year with a minimum Cap hit. Give him more time to develop for sure.  Neal is a good young player for sure, but it seems that whenever it is mentioned that someone may be available, someone on here says we should get him. Not referring to Neal but, it seems when a name is mentioned people think< I recognize that name, we should get him, no mateer what kind of fit they would be or whether or not they are any better than what we have now filling the same role.

53. SeriousFan09 says:

He’s the team captain of LA and one of their top offensive players, plus LA has about the deepest prospect pool of defencemen in the NHL. They’d hang up the phone on that pretty fast.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.