Game 6: Brodeur does it to Habs again

The Devils celebrate Zach Parise’s first-period goal on Thursday night. Dave Sidaway, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s

Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Carey Price | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Martin Brodeur strikes again. Despite winning only one of his six starts this season, Brodeur came into Montreal and shut out the Canadiens by a score of 3-0, making 29 saves in the process.
Carey Price was far less occupied, but was beaten three times on 20 shots in a game that was less than thrilling for the fans at the Bell Centre.
Zach Parise got the evetual game winner early in the first period when his shot from an odd angle eluded Price.
The Devils also got goals from Jason Arnott in the second and Matt Taormina beat Price with a floater in the third period.
For New Jersey, it is only their second win of the season.

• Key Moments: Once again, the Canadiens fired blanks on the power play, going 0-for-3.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record falls to 3-2-1 and the loss snaps a two-game winning streak.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are in Ottawa on Saturday for the second game against the Senators in a week, and then are back home to take on the Phoenix Coyotes on Monday.

1. shiram says:

He’s a mascot, they dont have to make sense.

2. LA Loyalist says:

… and to finish your thought, if I may, we need, collectively, to LEARN from that (me too) and not rush our fences.

I think to play Poo and Eller in situations for which they are suited and being groomed is useful.

To give them a few grinder minutes is a big waste of time.

3. mike g says:

I’m too young to remember..

But what I do know is that Dallas used to be a packed arena. When they ice a good team, the fans go and watch. This year they’ve started off well, but they’ve got a high payroll.

Salaries increased, ticket prices increased, and the salary cap is creating a huge mess for these low-budget franchises.

Dallas, ATL, NYI, FLA, TB, CLB and PHO are in a ton of trouble.

4. TomNickle says:

No, I find it more alarming than that is that he allows teams to bring down the revenue and profits of the NHL and it’s franchises, players, coaches, agents and regular employees by allowing teams to remain in markets where they cannot succeed.

More alarming still is that he compounds the problem by suggesting they move to cities where they’ll be no more successful than their current destinations.  Like from Nashville to Oklahoma City or from Florida to Kansas City or Phoenix to Las Vegas.

Seattle, Quebec City and anywhere else would be great choices.

5. Just A Guy says:

Loud noises!

6. mike g says:

Yup..

What about Brett Favre’s wife coming out with a book??!!   WTF is going on in this world?

She said she’s using faith and God to deal with her issues, and she explains it in the book.

Well Mrs. Favre, Mike G’s got good news for you. I just finished eating lunch with God, and he said he’s gonna try and catch a plane to come see you tonight and read your book.

Wow, American’s are special people, eh?

God and faith is always the solution. Just like God won the Super Bowl for the Saints last year.

7. LA Loyalist says:

memory fails… whey did they leave Minnesoda (where they actually willingly play hockey themselves) for Dallas?

was there ever an explanation beyond “Gary says”…?

8. adam76 says:

Also – I find the team scores 3 or more goals a game 86% of the time if I have 2 or more cups of coffee before 10 AM AST.

9. TomNickle says:

And played through having mono for the first half of the year.

10. TomNickle says:

Because you don’t understand how to evaluate hockey or hockey players.

11. Say Ash says:

You didn’t pick Ottawa?

12. SeriousFan09 says:

I find it more alarming that Bettman keeps finding suckers who managed to amass huge wealth to buy into the franchises that end up making them broke. All that money and they don’t seem to understand how to hold on to it.

13. adam76 says:

I DON;T KNOW WHAT WE ARE YELLING ABOUT!

14. habs365 says:

It’s a picture of the stanleycup, maybe it’ll come up next comment

15. TB says:

Thats a little harsh considering he was second in rookie scoring to Tyler Ennis of Buffalo (who is currently playing and one of the favorites to win the calder) also third in rookie scoring was Logan Couture who is playing for San Jose this year.  Also St. Louis felt he was close to NHL ready as well last year

I think Lars is right where he needs to be, Top 6 might be too much right now but I don’t see how playing an extra 5 min a night in a subpar league is gonna help – he is being given time to adjust to the NHL level then I suspect Martin will give him a look on one of the top 2 lines I believe that is why even when on the 3rd and 4th lines martin has him on the wing

16. mike g says:

So yesterday the NHL “lent” the Dallas Stars 8 million dollars…

This was so that they can continue to operate and not pull a Tampa Bay Lightning of a few years ago and stop paying your employees.

Anyone else find this really alarming?

17. G-Man says:

Zero goals and not supporting his teammates is exactly why BP is not on that line. He missed assignments and Gionta mentioned the missing support in 1 of his recent interviews.
    JM is not as bad a coach as many of these armchair or NHL 11 coaches are.

18. habs365 says:

i HOPE THE 2ND LINE LOOKS AT WHAT THIS PICTURE MEANS TO THE FANS IN MONTREAL AND THEY DESERVE IT, WE’VE WAITED LONG ENOUGH, START TONIGHT PUTTING THE PUCK IN THE NET, THERE’S THREE OF YA, HELP THE 1ST LINE THEY CAN’T BE EXPECTED TO WIN ALL THE GAMES. I SAY ALL THREE LINES 2ND, 3RD, 4TH START DOING SOMETHING, THE SEASON WILL BE OVER AND YOU’LL WONDER WHY YOU’RE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS, ALL THE TEAMS IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE HAS IMPROVED AND IF THE FANS CAN SEE IT, SURELY YOU SHOULD, NO GIMMIES THIS YEAR IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS YOU’D BETTER DO A LITTLE MORE SCORING…..

19. SmartDog says:

INTERESTING AND RARE that the majority on here AGREE that Pouliot is probably the best fit for the G-Love line, AND that he’s been working hard, hitting, giving a good effort.

But… MARTIN obviously thinks he’s not up to it, not worth the time, patience, etc. to TEACH HIM to play there.

Hhhhmmmm…… I wonder what Boucher would do?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

20. Rob says:

Yet you want to “rush” Eller and put him on the second line?  I don’t get it

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

21. scrowe21 says:

Oh I know lol, but im actually wondering when it was. I know it wasn’t last year, did he have one the year before? I cant remember.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

22. SmartDog says:

No, it’s for too many weird-looking orange things on the ice.

WTF is Youppi anyway?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

23. Kooch7800 says:

I 100% agree with you

24. adam76 says:

Agree with that 100%

25. Kooch7800 says:

Carey Price is still proving himself in his third season in Montreal and we are currently only 5 games in.  he is a good goalie and will be in the NHL but might not be in Montreal. He could have used a full season in the AHL.  He was rushed to the NHL which was a mistake.  Even after his injury 2 years ago in January he was rushed back so he could be in the all star game and his numbers dramatically dropped off after that.

I am Price fan but i do think he was rushed which I don’t think has helped him any

26. Bill J says:

You have some factual in-accuracies in your statement.  Which when corrected seem to kill your argument that Price was rushed.

1) First 1.5 years of his career, where top 5 in the league arguably.

2) He was not rushed back, Carbo in fact preferred Price skip the All-Star Game.  I think Price rushed himself back, because what player his age would not want to start the All-Star game in Montreal, in front of his fans.  He was young and pride likely got the better of him.  Oh well, it’s in the past now.

3) Last season Price himself, had a very rough season.  He certainly grew up quite a bit as a result, that can be seen in a good light.

And now in the first 5 games, Price was arguably the best player for the Habs in at least 4 of those 5, and not to say he was bad in the 5th, perhaps not “best” though.

Not saying let’s start worshiping him etc…  But we can surely cut him some slack, and enjoy some of his stellar saves.

27. habrez says:

Tomas Plekanec had 64 points in 80 games in his final AHL season as a 23 year old.

Lars Eller had 57 points in 70 games in his rookie season in the AHL as a 21 year old.

These stats alone makes it fair enough for people to expect a bright future, trouble is nothing develops as quickly as the Habs or their fains would like.

Would you prefer if he put up numbers more like Corey Locke, Jason Krog or David Deharnais?

28. LA Loyalist says:

don’t post that, you’ll get flamed.

29. Kooch7800 says:

Eller was drafted to be a two way centre with good offensive instincts similar to a Plek’s. Putting him in a checking role is useless.  He probably needs another year in the AHL.

He won’t develop in this role. Pure and simple

30. LA Loyalist says:

well, the problem is everyone is different, which is why it takes JUDGEMENT from the coaches and gms to work with each player.

For the 100th time I am posting a reference to the archives the story about how THE BIG 3 were brought up to the Habs from Nova Scotia (and sometimes sent back down). We were PATIENT and CAREFUL with them. You can read about it in Larry Robinson’s memoirs, too (which are pretty darn funny).

Blah blah blah it’s easy to take your time when you have a stacked team, I know someone will post that, but what is gained by wrecking a kid like we wrecked Latendresse and damn near wrecked Price?

If Poo and Open-face sandwich guy are the prize potato we should be extra judicious with them. Theoretically that is why Martin’s experience is one of the reasons he’s here?

Or am I just crazy and it’s throw the kids on the ice and it’s sink or swim?

31. LA Loyalist says:

Post ‘o the day.

32. coachdoug says:

The “System” never takes a day off…bring on Martin F. Brodeur…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

33. samTHEman says:

Last time I posted my predictions was the Tampa game. I predicted a 4-3 Loss, with Tampa notching 2 PPG, Pleky having 1G 1A and the 3rd star, Goals by Stamkos Lecavalier St-Louis and Malone. Now if you go do your research you’ll notice that I called all of that right except for Lecavalier’s goal.

34. newbrunswick troy says:

nope your wrong!!! Martin will have the guy sitting in section 309 lace up with Gio & Gomez before he goes back to Pouliot….   to be exact the guy in row D- seat 17 !!!ha ha

35. LA Loyalist says:

I guess you need a picture of Cassius Clay because you aren’t really very manly and live in your mom’s basement playing starwars all day – am I close?

36. LA Loyalist says:

I said it was a fantasy :) we should have started doing that 30 years ago. Oh well.

37. newbrunswick troy says:

I,m worried about this game …first of all after 4 or 5 days off, this team probly has no blood flow in there legs!! and second of all Brodeur & co. always find a way to elevate thier game against the habs!! and finaly our power play sucks!!!! its at just 5.9% and thats 29th in the league,,however our penalty kill is at 90% good…but the great scotty bowman once said you can,t win unless thos two numbers add up to 100% or better….that said  does anybody got 4.1% we can lend them?????

38. LA Loyalist says:

1993, we beat LA

Roy with 10 OT wins – and the famous ‘wink’

Kirk Muller was Captain. Everybody contributed and worked very, very hard. Jacques Demers was coach.

Gretzy whined constantly.

G*d it was exciting :)

It’s in the 10 DVD set of Habs greatest games.

39. samTHEman says:

My opinion on the line-up:

AK-Plek-Cam

Poul-Gomez-Gio

Eller-Halpern-Lapierre

Moen-Boyd-Pyatt

Darche (as much as i would love to see White in the line-up, i rather he gets called up to play and not sit in the press box)

40. Bill J says:

Never mind the horrible punctuation.  Two ENORMOUS “phrases”.

Holy Mackerel some people need to read what they are writing out loud sometimes.

41. avatar_58 says:

Well to be perfectly frank neither is Pouliot. He needed another AHL year or two.

42. emann_222 says:

I agree … way to much time on your hands … LOL But you make a great statistician!

Let the beering commence!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

43. Bill J says:

You call it.  If you read below, many others have already…

If your going to post a poll for opinions, share your thoughts.

44. emann_222 says:

Everyone considers PK to be Prime Time!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

45. Bill J says:

I’ve heard there is a unwritten rule in Bettman’s handbook, was brought to light when Pittsburgh was “almost” bought to be moved by Balsilie.

The NHL – will avoid at all costs folding or moving Stanley Cup winning teams/cities.

46. adam76 says:

I still don’t understand how a player with only 5 games NHL experience prior to this season and below average AHL numbers – all of a sudden becomes a top six player the second he pulls on a Habs jersey.

He is not ready for prime time.

47. Bugs says:

Menstruation attracts bears!

Decadently yours, I recline as

48. scrowe21 says:

Anyone know the last time Price had a shutout?

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

49. Bugs says:

That was a trident.

Decadently yours, I recline as

50. Chuck says:

Subdued. The crowd (aside from the Hab fans, of course) was lame. We out-cheered them in their own building.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

51. Bugs says:

That was a chocolate squirrel.

Decadently yours, I recline as

52. emann_222 says:

I agree totally. This kid parks in front of the net, has size, good hands. He’s the good solution. But mark my words – JM won’t do it! I don’t know why!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

53. Bugs says:

Let’s cut to brass tacks, shall we?

Final score.

Call it.

Decadently yours, I recline as

54. WindsorHab-10 says:

Why don’t you guys take your predictions & shove them.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!

55. Kooch7800 says:

Why is Eller not given a shot to play with G & G ? he is not a third & fourth wing guy.  you might as well have him play in the minors then cause putting him in those roles is useless.  I hope we don’t ruin him like Latts, Price etc.

56. habfan53 says:

Chuck you have to much time on your hands.  How was Buffalo last week??

57. emann_222 says:

Lot’s of pre-game thoughts on tonights game and what’s been happening in the 4 off days … Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com and check out the latest post.

Really curious what the thoughts are on the Hamrlik switch and the Pyatt move.

PLUS …

Who else thinks that leadership will have to light a flame tonight to get motivation strong after 4 days off!!! ???

58. RGM says:

I’m just glad that there’s finally a game to watch!!!

59. lefreak says:

2 – 1 habs.

bottom 6 guy scores a bad bounce goal for us.

parize gets one shorthanded.

cammi gets the winner in the 3rd.

it will most likely be a game of epic boring neutral zone proportions. they really need to watch parize, he is the hab killer. i make sure to never buy tickets when the devils are in town, because i already have a prescription for sleeping pills;p

60. Chuck says:

My prediction: there’ll be come hockey played at the Bell shortly after 7:30. Aside from that, my ball’s a little fuzzy.

The crystal, silly.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

61. Say Ash says:

This is good news, as you’re due to call it correctly.

62. Bugs says:

Ummm… I’m gonna say 3-0 for Joisy.

Decadently yours, I recline as

63. samTHEman says:

Andrei Kostitsyn 1G 1A

Carey Price Shutout

Gorges + 2

Plekanec 2A

Cammalleri 2G 1A

Subban PPG

4-0 Habs

A man can dream…

64. blu3chip says:

My prediction:

Habs outshot Devils by a small margin.

Habs win by two or more goals, not counting empty netters.

Habs have a PPG.

Cammy scores 2.

Price has a great game, again.

Subban plays a much more conservative game.

Fans in arena chant Ole Ole Ole Ole for the entire 3rd period :)

65. SeriousFan09 says:

They’ve moved away from the trap more this year, with a softer defence and an aging Brodeur. I’m tired of hearing about how this guy is unbeatable when he plays the Habs. They’ve made his job too easy, thinking they can’t beat him and hitting him dead center in the chest protector far too often, they make his nights in Montreal too easy, too often. Half of Brodeuer’s power over the Habs seemed to be fear after a few years as their mini-Dynasty team knocked us around and Habs couldn’t believe they could score on him.

66. mike g says:

Robby, lol…

It’s just my prediction. That’s what I think is gonna happen.

NJ always plays us strong, and they have a bunch of Hab-killers on their roster.

Marty has 38 wins in 59 carrer games. That’s incredible.

Just a feeling I’ve got that they’ll come at us really hard.

Only way I see us winning is if Price makes 40+ saves and steals the show.

Possible, but were talking about NJ vs MTL here….

67. VancouverHab says:

The banks are to blame for Hicks & Gillette mortaging themselves to the hilt and leveraging? The banks are what is keeping sharks like Hicks under reasonable rein. Do you have data to show that Hicks rates of borrowing interest are extortionary? They look perfectly competitive to me. Is this an economic argument or just cheap-shot class warfare polemic?

The Royal Bank of Scotland called in the Liverpool loan when Hicks & Gillette (alas) were trying hyper-leverage the Club (use the players as equity for one move!) and put the investor array at a hold-nothing position.

Good grief.

68. Chuck says:

Interesting stat: though the season is still
    young, the Devils have yet to win on a weekend (0-2-0) while the Habs have yet
    to lose on a weekend (2-0-0). Unfortunately, today is Thursday.

Both of the Hab
    losses–one regulation and one overtime–have come on a weekday. And the Devils
    only win? Yep… a weekday. Additionally, the Devils’ only win has come on a
    road game. Someone beer me; this could be a long night.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

69. bwoar says:

3-1 Habs.  Zajac scores early in the first and Carey holds the fort during a penalty-fest.  Subban, Gionta and Plekanec score for our side as the PP clicks for a change.

70. SeriousFan09 says:

JT Bourne’s take on the Rypien incident and less-than-pleasant Fan-player interaction.

71. SeriousFan09 says:

YOu do not have official Reverse Jinx powers Mike, knock it off.

72. SmartDog says:

Unfortunately Kovalchuk is due too.  And Marty’s due a good game.

Hope that’s wrong… but just sayin’.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

73. habaddict_andy says:

Your forgetting the Ref. finally helping us out by disallowing the goal.

Oyoyoye….

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

74. TomNickle says:

Despite what some people think.  He is NOT worse than Spacek and Hamrlik defensively and doesn’t take as many stupid penalties as O’Byrne.

I really wouldn’t complain if he was signed.

Here’s my problem.  If Gauthier had no problem shipping Halak out of town.  Why the hell would he have a problem with sending Hamrlik to the minors.  He didn’t sign the contract, he’s got an out with the media.

75. SeriousFan09 says:

They won’t, Lecavalier’s contract is too big, too ugly and his injury status and multiple off-season surgeries have made him a toxic asset. TB are stuck with him thankfully, glad that old trade Gainey tried to swing never went through.

76. observer says:

habs won in playoffs WITHOUT markov. he is not the reason for such a poor effort. nor the excuse why pouliot received a raise and is even still here.

77. jimmy shaker says:

You’re right Tom…..I’ll give’em 3 games, hopefully PG doesn’t take longer than that to make his decision.

Shaker

78. TomNickle says:

The point shaker was making was about the powerplay tony.

Get your knickers untwisted and can the elitist attitude if you aren’t able to read the original post properly.

79. EricInStL says:

Time will tell….

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS…..

80. Bob Dobbs says:

In my view definitely the two main reasons we lost was (1) Hamrlik and Spacek, and (2) lack of discipline.

Do you think we can trade one or both of those D-men?

81. jimmy shaker says:

True, but the chances need to be created and it just seems like the offence cannot generate or take off…..so a 100mph howitzer can stir things up a bit I say!

Shaker

82. TomNickle says:

I’m starting to like Picard.  I think he was our best player tonight.  Just my opinion though.  Many will say Subban.  I still though Picard was better.

I’d like to see Picard, Markov, Gorges and Bergeron on our powerplay units.

The other two spots can be filled by Gill and, and, and, and.

Screw it.

I love the word “howitzer”. It’s almost as good as Bazzinga.

84. Chuck says:

They’re professionals. It’s their job to take charge and set their own tone.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

85. jimmy shaker says:

That would be nice way to bury his salary, and give us some more room to make some moves.  But I think PG is too scared to look like a meany and shite on his vets that way.  Hopefully someone will take this guy for a draft pick or something, but I’m afraid we’ll be waiting to the new year until his salary shrinks.  I’d love to do it Tom for sure!

Shaker

86. jimmy shaker says:

I think I’m still pissed that MAB lost his spot to this guy, so I haven’t really put too much stock into him or watched much of how he’s played.  I know he really hasn’t hurt us and did score a beautiful goal so I’ll cut him some slack.

Shaker

87. TomNickle says:

A beautiful goal.  Nicely done.

88. habs youngtimer says:

mine isn’t for sale.

but habs problem is, they’re a 1 line team. shutdown that line, and there’s nothing.

combine that with the fact their PP is 1-20, worst in the league, and then you can’t win.

what really irks me, is that PG, the genius, resigns Pouliot, even tho he did nothing, and finished last season with zero goals in his last 28 games. and to boot, he gave him a raise???? why? because he can’t score?

so reward a player for playing badly, yet get rid of a player(Halak) for playing briliantly.

and so the habs did nothing in the offseason to improve the team, only got worse, and still stuck with 3 stiffs, Gomez, Kostitsyn, Pouliot, and on D- 2 stiifs, Hamrlik and Spacek.

this team won’t get better any time soon, and especially not until JM and PG are gone.

PG is the reason this team will never improve.

looks like the Molsons are too stupid to realize that.

89. Habfan29 says:

NO MAB, NO MAB, NO MAB!!!!!!! He was terrible defensively last year and JM played him way too much…..

90. MontrealAtheist says:

Expect many more games to come this season where the Habs are outshooting the opponents 2-1 but still lose because Price surrenders 3 goals on less than 20 shots.

91. TomNickle says:

If I were Gauthier and my ass were on the line like his.  Hamrlik and Spacek’s play wouldn’t be acceptable.

There would be a closed door meeting.  Jacques, Jaro, Roman and I would be discussing the possibility of demotion to Hamilton if there isn’t serious improvement in the next 15 games.

92. jimmy shaker says:

Done…..we see it! How can the guys getting paid the big bucks to make these type of decisions can’t?  Sucks, sucks big time!

Shaker

93. Caballero says:

The Habs need to find a way to solve Brodeur and also Philly. Somehow these two teams are a real thorn in my a$$ I mean the Habs behinds.

94. adam76 says:

anyone care to post Ellers stats so far?

95. deuce6 says:

I’m emailing every darn Hab…I am sueing them all except Price..

I want the 2.5 hours of my life back..That was gory to watch…

96. AH says:

Exactly as I predicted and feared; 4 days off + Martin F. in goal + JM’s coaching = NO CHANCE!

SIGH

97. AH says:

SIGH

98. duffy says:

That was one piss poor effort ,looking like last years leaf team .

99. NCRhabsfan says:

That’s as bad a performance as a team can put together. The won’t beat any NHL teams and few AHL teams playing like that.

Prediction – Scott Gomez joins other over-paid, non-productive, former NHL stars in the AHL next year. What a complete and total waste of cap space he is. He needs to spend a couple nights as a healthy scratch.

Is it just me or do Eller and Pouliot look totally lost out there?

No goals by a Habs forward in two games.

Subban was the only guy with any jump tonight.

100. AH says:

oops double post..sorry folks.

101. TripleX says:

I thought Eller looked pretty good until he was benched in two games.  He is a young player who needs a coaches support and confidence not benching for every mistake.  I can actually see his regression from game one to game six.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

102. Laramy87 says:

God shutup, the kid is 21 with 7 games of NHL prior to this season. Halak is gone, deal with it, you cannot pin this game on Price especially if Habs dont score anything

103. Laramy87 says:

Faceoffs was a huge problem tonight, we barely won any, and this really creates an issue especially on the PP. If you cant win faceoffs, you have no possesion thus terrible PP. Markov better be back soon

104. lavie says:

If you were with JM, you would be the same as Eller and Pouliot.

105. Everlasting1 says:

Feeling sorry for the fans in attendance having to pay extra this year to watch this version of the Habs. Price was..well, Price.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

106. habs_1993 says:

man…that game was soooo boring.

I hate it when we play against New Jersey.

107. Laramy87 says:

Oh man, i cannot agree more. Whats worse is how early they scored thier first goal, from there on out it was BORIN and irritating

108. SeriousFan09 says:

NJD win and continue their assault on good hockey, can’t get this whole idea of entertaining the crowd now can we?

109. otter649 says:

Marty Brodeur has shut out Montreal 9 times in his career – 4 in New Jersey & 5 in Montreal but it seems/feels more than 9 times………

110. homerbowen says:

Pathetic!!! Same old problem, we can’t score goals and we have too many small players on one (our) team.

Send Gomez to Hamilton, he is terrible. He is too small and lacks good hockey skills.

I’m not getting a good feeling about this season.

111. EricInStL says:

When you’re on the road you’re not there to put on a show.

So they don’t care.

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS…..

112. ds says:

I think you’re over reacting, it’s just a loss to a veteren NJ team with a lot to prove, so what.  As far as Gomez goes, until January last year he did nothing, then turned it on for the 2nd half of the season and playoffs.  He’ll produce when necessary.  At the end of the day mtl is 3-2-1 which is a 95 pt pace or so which is about what the team is capable of.  Considering the weaker goaltending it’s not bad, and they should make the playoffs.

MTL needs 1 top 6 player to round out the top half.  I really think they blew it when Chicago was getting rid of Buff, he would have been the ideal candidate.  No point worrying now but I think Kovalev would be a good fit and dump Pouillot the guy is good for nothing.  Another Daigle.

113. SeriousFan09 says:

They don’t even put on a good show in their own building. You think our away games against the Trappers are going to be any better?

114. Everlasting1 says:

I believe he’s 6’2″, 198lbs.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

115. AH says:

Hey, did anyone recognize that big tall coach on the winning teams bench? He looks so familiar……….

116. observer says:

Practically no real scoring chances by Habs as from 1st period on Devils had Habs shooting from outside and the small players could not crash the net. Even Momesso on CJAD broadcast said Habs need bigger stronger forwards to crash the net. 6 games 3 wins by one single goal – smells like a .500 or so team all over again. The Gainey/Gauthier going on 8 year experiment is a FAILURE!

117. ds says:

Got to agree, at least Eller shows flashes of potential, give him time he will be a top 6er.  He is hard to get off the puck and goes to the corners and does the dirty work.  This is his first full season in the NHL, it will take him time to get adjusted.  Also he is not in a top 6 role either, at least JM should give him 2nd unit PP time but i’m glad JM is bringing him along slowly.  Look at Datsyuk’s progression.  Detroit didn’t put him on the first line when he showed up, he was slowly brought up and was irrelavant in the 2002 stanley cup.  He got experience though watching the experienced veterans.  Eller isn’t Datsyuk but I think Detroit’s system of gradually increasing responsibility for the newer players is the way to go.

118. Storm Man says:

Hmmm that Brodeur guy is so over the hill ;) Guess he is no good on my Yahoo league team. :)

119. EricInStL says:

Nope. They probably want to by signing Kovalchuk, but it will take time and I’m pretty sure Mr. Brodeur would like NJ to continue to play a solid D around him.

Anyway it doesn’t matter to me, I will NOT pay to see the habs, too expensive.

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS…..

120. SeriousFan09 says:

So he improves to 2-4-1, if Price was standing on that record to this point he’d be public enemy No. 1 and need a tank escort to the Bell Centre.

Brodeur can chase his regular season glory all he wants, Roy still owns him when it matters and that fat bastard nearly blew it for Canada at the Olympics.

121. observer says:

Making baseball look exciting. In fact a golf match and chess match too.

One thing is for certain – if you team struggles all you have to do is play the Habs. Devils have played their easiest game of the year until next time they play the Habs. What a pathetic bunch. Nothing changed (why would it?) since last year. Can’t play defensive minded teams. Everything is from outside the box. Gionta – wheel, wheel, wheel, from the blue line BOOM! Gomez – wheel, wheel, wheel… give up the puck. The rest just coast. Where were 3rd and 4th lines? Devils never experienced a single hit or any kind of physical pressure. Ah well… I guess we are still gelling. That’s good. All we really have to do is hope we game teams like Wash and Pitts in the playoffs and we’ll be back in ECF in no time.

123. saskhabfan says:

Right after you post the last time you received a paycheck that wasn’t issued to you from welfare. And those weekends you moonlight at the bar as a glory hole “attendant” doesn’t count either.LMAO.

124. EricInStL says:

I guess you didn’t get your pizza from Marty’s pizzeria on time, eh ?

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS…..

I wouldn’t call Moen, Pouliot, Lapierre, Boyd, Halpern, Eller etc small. What they need if forwards that have ball and pride. Or at least a bit of professionalism. But what do you expect when your team is run by the stooges like Gauthier and his puppet Martin?

126. habs365 says:

What a sick looking bunch, on a good night they couldn’t beat the Montreal juniors, two players came to play tonight, subban and price if you want to blame price for the goals go ahead you were watching a different game than I was, they were beaten in their own end and in the jersey end. the difference wasn’t Brodeur the difference was the Devels made good on their chances and the Habs didn’t. same old story though if the 1st line doesn’t score write up a loss.

I think they play ottawa next, I could tell ya whats gonna happen there but I won’t.

127. Propwash says:

Goalies in Montreal have two roles, netminder and scapegoat.

128. terrygain says:

Is it just me or do Eller and Pouliot look totally lost out there?

Perhaps not just you, but certainly you. Eller showed signs of brilliance. I would like to see him play more than one shift with Kostitsyn. This team has only 7 guys who are capable of being top 6 forwards but the coach has no idea who they are. He might as well play 5 on 5 off. Tonight we saw the results of poor coaching and the demoralization wrought by the opening soft goal.

129. SeriousFan09 says:

Tired of his overblown legend, he had every opportunity with an All-Star defence at the Olympics to prove he still had it, oops.

130. MTLForever says:

Boring game. Price made some big saves here and there. Brodeur likes to screw us. At least the Laughs lost too or I’d be more angry.

131. terrygain says:

You missed the first goal?

132. EricInStL says:

I think the Olympics demonstrated that it was his last stint for Team Canada. Also it also showed that Luongo is not the future as he was shaky.

So who is the next one for Team Canada, Fleury ? Not for the last year…. I think Cam Ward is underrated….

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS…..

133. punkster says:

I think you give them too much with your “wheel, wheel, wheel”. There were no wheels turning out there tonight, on the ice or in their heads. A stinker. A deep, smelly pile of dog doodoo. Which reminds me it’s time to walk the dog. I hope he doesn’t mind a 2 hours walk because that’s what I need to put this one out of my mind!

134. Storm Man says:

2 wins with 2 SO…. I understand you don’t like him, But he is good just wished he would not play the Habs. What does he have 9 SO playing us….. Ouch. Guess I will have to look at the Yahoo site now and see how my team is doing playing your team :).

135. vic says:

Iguess Oburn is finished with Mtl .If he had been handled right he could have been a good asset.

ButJM didnt like him.He checked players.

Why dont thet trade him and let have a chance.

136. Storm Man says:

I hope someone steps up for Canada in 2012 in Goal….. Ward would be a good pick but 2 years is a ways off.

137. TripleX says:

We need an aggressive in your face player who hits and gives 100% every shift.  Too bad that player is in the minors.  So typical of Hab’s management.

‘Cogito ergo doleo’

138. Everlasting1 says:

Price was caught napping on the first one. That set the flat tone for the rest of the game.

“We don’t see things as they are, but as we are.” – Anais Nin

Don’t pollute the water.

Do I smell a MAB signing?

140. lefreak says:

i’m not going all doomsday like many, but holy jebus on a pogo stick doing pilates was this effort weak and uninspired.

imagine…some people paid 300$ to watch this.

141. MontrealAtheist says:

He’d better not expect to have JM’s support … JM is not one to bring out the best in a young player and many a talent has been wasted because of this. Why on Earth did we let go Boucher and keep this moron?

142. Bryan says:

On the bright side, Louis Leblanc had another 2 points tonight (1G 1A).

Looks like we’ll be seeing both him and Gallagher in the WJC.

_______________________________

The Habs are making me slightly less bi-polar.

It’s a sellout every game… why would they give a crap?

144. SeriousFan09 says:

Gary Bettman set to cancel tommorow’s games and announce a day of mourning in the NHL as TBL have lost in OT to the Islanders. Yzerman set to deliver a public address and eulogize the event.

145. SeriousFan09 says:

Engqvist and Nash have their first AHL goals as well on the evening.

146. jimmy shaker says:

How many shutouts is price going to get this year?  I don’t think he’s going to get any.  For some reason this guy just doesn’t get many bounces.  2nd goal tonight and the knuckle ball 3rd goal.  First goal was one he should’ve had but that’s hockey.  My point is not to slag on Price, but more just pointing to the fact Price for the most part is going to give up 2 goals at least per game.  To counter that, the boys need to score 3 goals per game.  This team is not a team that is going to score a lot of goals 5 v 5.  Just like the last couple of years, we’ve been at the bottom of standings in terms of 5 v5 goals.  The way this team just like previous teams rolled was the PP.  So if we need 3 goals a night to win, at least 1 of them is going to have to come from the PP, and the answer to this rant is MAB.  Get him back and watch the team and the PP rise and rise and rise.  Also playing with the lead and scoring more often won’t hurt Price either.

Shaker

147. observer says:

only 6 games into this season. but habs after 2 tough games at tor and then pitts had 4 days off and were well rested but then completely were outplayed especially over last half of game by tampa bay . tonight after 5 days rest put in this horrendous effort. martin has to take much of this blame. thats 2 for 2 now off rest.

148. jimmy shaker says:

I’ve smelled it all summer Timo, that’s why I never officially closed the MAB fan club.  It’s just been on hiatus.  I’m still excepting new members!

Shaker

149. TomNickle says:

Does that mean Boucher has to give the Jack Adams award back?

I think I should get a dog.

151. TomNickle says:

I think they might see where we’re at with Markov in the lineup for a few games before bringing back our favourite Ovechkin leveler.

152. EricInStL says:

I wouldn’t make those jokes just yet, I figure Yzerman will trade Vinny and his contract to MTL at some point.

And management will fall for it….

ROMANES EUNT DOMUS…..

153. observer says:

hard to win when you cant score a goal whether it is against brodeur or leighton(3).

154. SeriousFan09 says:

What we need is Ian Schultz to develop into our Scott Hartnell and you know, NOT be another expensive forward on the roster.

155. avatar_58 says:

Therein lies an issue doesn’t it? If the habs were to tank and get their next Crosby we’d have 2 solid lines.

Since that isn’t going to happen we just have to wait for guys like Eller to develop.

156. mike g says:

I’m talking about right now…

We need someone to play with Gomez and Gio right now. Not in 3 years when they’re on the downfall. NOW.

Shultz will only be ready to hopefully fill a top 6 role, if he can do that, in 3 years.

But that time Markov will be alot older, etc…

In order to maximize whatever is left from the best years or Gomez and Gionta and Markov, we need a player like Hartnell now.

Trade AK46 and dump O’Byrne. Then we have enough money for Scott.

157. SeriousFan09 says:

Than we send away our finally surging 10th overall selection and kill the chemistry of one offensive line to fix another one while dealing away assets we really can’t afford to lose from the farm if we want those 3 lines deep of offence with EL contracts that Cup runs demand these days so we can pick up a player to fix the other line. Schultz could be ready to go in 2 years, or less, if we want crash-bang all he really has to do his spend the AHL year working on skating and conditioning.

So we put Hartnell on the Gomez line and eliminate the strength of the AK/Pleks/Cammy line, plus we’re short a player we drafted who seemed to finally be making good plus what we gave up for Hartnell. I see us coming out as losers in this whole proposition, strengthen one line by weakening another while taking away from the farm to get Hartnell.

158. avatar_58 says:

Trading AK46 only swaps the issue, who plays on that line now?

159. mike g says:

Andrei is not surging…

He’s had 3 good games in a row. If that’s what it takes from a 10th overall pcik to satisfy a fanbase, then our expectations are way off.

Look at his draft year, and name me others that have been this slow to play 3 consecutive strong games.

There are too many gamebreakers in that draft. We missed the boat with AK, and don’t tell me for one second that 3 good games in a row is enough to justify his lack of desire for the past 4 years.

It’s about maximizing a players value. If AK keeps it up this year, trade him. Contract years have proven time and time again to be a players best year.

If we re-sign him and he stinks it up again, you’ll be really mad. And I can really see that happeneing.

160. SeriousFan09 says:

His 07-08 season was his breakout year, than the next two seasons he spends it cleaning up after his brother (not an easy task) having yellow journalism written about him and a disruptive family life as it hasn’t been until this year that his wife and kid are on the same continent as he is, let alone getting to live with them. Right now, he’s off to a good start and seems far more engaged as a teammate than ever before. I don’t see why suddenly dumping him and picking up another guy by giving up something valuable for him no less at a higher cap hit with no guarantee he’ll work with the team or his line is a good idea.

Your brother’s a screw-up but he’s your brother and you don’t want him ending up playing house league back in Belarus when he’s got a chance to set himself up for life so you’re doing what you can, your family is literally an ocean away and you’ve got bigoted media running false stories about you. It is entirely possible he might not find it easy to focus on hockey in that situation. He’s finally got his house in order, I don’t advocate any long-term deal at the end of the year but keep him on for 1-2 years if he pulls off a solid season plus he’s into it in the playoffs. Peace of mind for your family lets you get a lot more done.

I don’t see a valid argument right now for dealing away valuable assets we need to fix one offensive line and let the other one lose it’s physical impact that you want to add to the other. Schultz could be ready in 1 year and even if 2, we’ve dealt away something valuable to a rival franchise that we gave way too much help to already in past years and taking on their high-dollar contract, doing them a favour. Besides, you can’t guarantee Hartnell will get along with Gionta and Gomez and make their line work.

161. LNev says:

“Look at his draft year…”

Interesting thing about his draft year: 5 of the 9 players selected before Ak have been traded…

162. avatar_58 says:

I suggest giving AK another 20+ games and let’s see if he’s truly ‘fixed’. I’m willing to be patient.

163. mike g says:

That doesn’t excuse him from taking 3 years off…

He has no desire. I wish he can find some one day, maybe soon, but usually it’s not something you can teach someone.

Some are born with it, others aren’t.

Compare the careers of him and Mike Richards. Who has more “talent”? Andrei.

Yet, who’s made Team Canada, won a Gold Medal, and captains his team? Mike.

Heart and desire will always kill talent.

164. SeriousFan09 says:

You know who might never get as good a chance to show their heart and desire for the rest of his NHL career: David Booth, who Richards never showed any remorse over doing what he did. Booth could have that brain damage follow him around for the rest of his life.

I’d rather not have Andrei held up against the guy trying to be the new Bobby Clobber for PHI.

165. TB says:

the problem with your trade and reasoning behind is Kostitsyn – who you say has taken the last 3 years off will still get as much if not more points than Hartnell

Hartnell had 1 good year where he got 30 goals and 60 points – after that nothing above 48 points

166. LNev says:

Wasn’t post the 5 of 9 thing as justification of AK’s mediocre play, just an interesting tidbit that stood out when i looked at his draft class.

However “draft hindsight etc etc this guy vs that guy…”

The team may not have hit a homerun with AK, but it’s looking like a double at least…

As far as Heart and Desire go?  Too easy to say he has none, but impossibel to weigh and measure.  I don’t think you make it to the NHL without having heart and desire.  I love Richards, but i am not going to dump on AK simply because he is not Richards.

-Luke

167. pic1983 says:

Yes we know, youve said it over and over again.  So lets hear it, how do you make that happen considering our cap situation and phillys cap situation?

168. G-Man says:

AK is finally over that concussion, as well as all you mentioned, SF. If he can deliver the hits w/o getting injured we’ll have a pretty effective power forward. Otherwise, it’s back to the drawing board.

169. habaddict_andy says:

Good point mike.  Imagine if Pyatt turn out to be a fit and they start scoring.  NObody would be complaining here and JM would become a genius.

So, is he a genius?  That is the question.

170. avatar_58 says:

If you rack up points – you have talent. Going to the net, tipping pucks, hitting the correct players is talent. Usually leading to assits and playmaking.

Moen and Darche aren’t this type of player. We need somene more like AK46 (on good days) who has size and a scoring touch.

(We needed Dustin F Byfuglien)

171. mike g says:

The player we need is Scott Hartnell…

Plain and simple..

172. SmartDog says:

I didn’t want to say it ealier but when everyone was counting all the goals Pouliot and Gionta were going to get “because they’re due” (sorry, but LOL) all I could think was that the Habs are just what MARTY NEEDS to get his mojo back.

And so it seems…

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

173. SeriousFan09 says:

Because Palushaj isn’t good enough away from the puck right now and he doesn’t have the finish to offset the issue. Eller and Pouliot were considered the best possibilites for the 2nd line to start the season and it’s still pretty damn early to panic over things.

Desharnais is literally a pushover in the offensive zone and White is a banger that while useful wouldn’t be that much more effective than Boyd or Moen on that 2nd line. Darche sits on the 13th forward spot so we don’t have to sweat a useful forward losing half his season in the press box.

174. lefreak says:

i would love to see a better top 6 for sure, i think it is a desire that every fan of every nhl team would want.

that being said, what would you have done? those guys earned those contracts by helping the team have success last year. we didn’t exactly have tons of money to throw around in the free agent market, not much we could do in terms of trades, and our ahl players aren’t suited for the roles at least at this moment.

i’ll go with cheap experience over cheap youth.

shoulda coulda woulda is irrelevant…this is our bed, we have to lie in it and hope that when we wake up it is beside a looker and not a gaga. no sense in complaining about something we are comitted to, as it most likely will not change due to the present circumstances with our cap space.

you also do not want guys that are not nhl ready like palushaj playing too many games in the bigs, because it counts towards nhl experience, which in turn counts towards eventually having to clear waivers for every call up/demotion.

175. pic1983 says:

half the salary only gets picked up by us if they get claimed when we try to bring them back up on re-entry waivers.  If darche were to get sent down and was claimed, we would be off the hook completely.

176. lefreak says:

which is a big risk if his replacement does not work out.

then we are stuck with a young guy who might not be ready, over an older journeyman that can do the job for the same price and has enough experience to use his head.

sure young guys have a lot of upside, and they make you look like a genius if it works…the thing is mostr of the time it doesn’t work, and until then a seasoned veteran is worth more even if his future upside might be less. We want to do what is good to win the games right now, and let the young guys who are going to help us win games later develop.

Darche is not as bad as everyone makes him out to be, he might lack pure skill, but he works hard and has the experience to make the right decisions in pressure environments. He saved our butts a few times last year, and it is why he has a contract.

177. avatar_58 says:

“Grinding” is simply a term for style of play. If you can rack up 50 points simply by grinding your anus off then yeah – top 6. I’m not suggesting the guy needs to be Ovechkin to be top 6. However Pyatt? Moen? DARCHE??

It’s over just admit it already. These guys won’t be the one we need. Time to look outside or on the dogs for someone who can do it

178. lefreak says:

the only thing i need to admit is that you don’t understand how the cba works…nor how the new nhl works.

who do you suggest to fill the role?

if you send players with small contracts like that to the minors…all 3 of them get picked up on waivers, and half of their salary gets picked up by us and counts against the cap further making it impossible to improve at this position.

“admit it it’s over”

should usually only be used after you put up a strong argument.;)

179. avatar_58 says:

My “arguement’ is that we shouldn’t have signed guys like Darche in the first place. He has no place on this team. The preseason should have been used to select the next top 6 guy – you know the one type of player we need? Instead it was a giant debate over who stays on the 4th line.

Hell to be frank I’d rather see White given time on the top line than these guys, at least he can score and hit despite his size. Why not give Palushaj a shot?

Naw instead we sign more bottom 6 guys and wind up with a 2nd line that relies entirely on Gomez and Gionta. That line is going to struggle forever until a permanent third party is found.

180. jimmy shaker says:

MAB, MAB, MAB, MAB…..every passing day, and every sputtering PP brings us closer to the return of MAB!

CHeers,

Shaker

181. Caballero says:

Bah, with Markov coming back soon hopefully, I don’t think MAB will be back. Though I admit without a heckuva powerplay, the habs are going nowhere this year.

182. TomNickle says:

But who gets traded to make room?

183. punkster says:

Super duper JD. Gonna have to meander on out to the western portions of our fair isle this weekend to catch the spectacle. Might even toss in an hour at Fairview for old times sake. I’m assuming after dark is the primo viewing time?

184. Jordio-oh says:

Louis CK is sooooo good. I don’t know how one man has so much anger in him, but he manages.

185. Skotbot says:

Always a pleasurable read.

Louis CK! I was thinkin about goin for awhile.. hilarious guy.

Do I listen to pop music because I am miserable? Or am I miserable because I listen to pop music?

186. JD_ says:

* With so many guys comin’ and goin’ for a short visit on the Gomez-Gionta pairin’, seems the Habs now have The Whorehouse Line. Poolio, Pyatt, Moen, Boyd, whatever, as long as it ain’t Darche. Like the guy, but I don’t see anythin’ approachin’ a fit for him with the other two. Frankly, I thought Moen was effective in makin’ room for GomGio, he didn’t get the puck much but he made space, but it takes away from the jam of the bottom six. At the end of the day, Poolio’s actually been playin’ with smarts and is gonna end up back with Captain & Gomille. Hopefully by that time, he will have replaced his Rollerblades with ice skates.

* I was thinkin’ Marty Brody’s problems stem from his bed-messin’ at the Vancouver Olympics – take away the guy’s trapezoid and it’s like watchin’ a high-as-a-kite 16 year-old kid drivin’ a Humvee through the forest – but now am attributin’ it to the latent fallout from the bed-mussin’ with his wife’s sister a few years ago. Really, Marty? I’ve said it before and will say it again: Egg nog always leads to no good. Marty was in the papers this mornin’ talkin’ about how bloody excited he was to be playin’ in Montreal. Says it’s always a great couple of days. Sigh. Someone needs to run him before the first period clock hits 19:00.

* Effin’ Jeff Halpern. After five games, he’s tallied three points, includin’ two goals, +2, 59% on faceoffs, and a forwards-leadin’ four blocked shots. All this for 600 large. Damn him. Now, when the Habs don’t re-sign him durin’ the off-season, I’ll have to sift through 800 posts lamentin’ how Jeff was MooreKostopoulosBeginVanBoxmeered™.

* Awesome for Begin. Minors or otherwise, he’s still livin’ the dream. Can’t say the same for his teammate, the Belarusian Brat. With the way AK’s been playin’, I don’t know if it’s the contract year or his bro’s absence. Whatever the case, I say the Habs only sign AK to one-year contracts for the next five years and bring SK back for a month every off-season before tradin’ him away again. Whatever it takes, people, it’s all about the winnin’.

* If you happen to be in the vicinity of the West Island of Montreal, and are drivin’ along boul. Brunswick between bouls. St-Jean and St-Charles – i.e., just down the road headin’ west from Fairview Shoppin’ Centre – you’ll happen upon the most kick-a$$ Halloween display on the island, far as I’m concerned.

* Gonna miss the game tonight. Gotta sit through two hours of the brilliant Louis CK at the Metropolis. Damn. Nice.

187. habs001 says:

after 6 games we have scored 14…around 20th …about the same as last year and i believe this  trend will continue…take away metro,sk74,moore and mab goals and those will only be matched by boyd halpern and eller ,pk….pyatt,moen,lapps,darche will score the odd goal …pouliot and ak46 just dont get enough scoring chances so they would have to score on a large % of them…gomez will not score too many goals….so it is not a suprise this team will be around 20th in scoring…if the pp does not score we are in big trouble unless we win a good majority of 2-1 3-2 , o/t games….

188. WindsorHab-10 says:

You are GAY.

189. WindsorHab-10 says:

You suck.

190. LA Loyalist says:

Huh?

Anyone?

Did I miss thread here?

191. LA Loyalist says:

Post of the day! Can’t compete with your brain power.

192. LA Loyalist says:

How come after having a killer power play w/ Souray and then Mark Streit and to a lesser degree with MAB, why is it clear as the water in the St. Lawrence  that we NEED A QUARTERBACK.

Can the ALs spare anyone?

193. dre1744 says:

I love it when the Habs win they can do no wrong they are awesome.  And when they lose all hell breaks lose they are bums  PG is why they suck,  Got to blame somebody  maybe its the queens fault the habs stunk tonight. LOL  its a young season everything will be fine.

Every team has there Kryptonite in this league the Habs just happens to be the Devils and Flyers.

194. matmacat says:

I thought HABSsince92’s boone game blog post deserved another read:

“God I truly hate the New Jersey Devils and Brodeur. He is such an
    overrated piece of garbage. The Devils represent everything that is
    wrong with today’s NHL…….1. Defensive, trap 90’s hockey. 2. Crazy
    contracts 3. Empty arenas because nobody cares to watch their team.
    There is no team or player I despise more then them.”

edit: although, I don’t agree that Brodeur is a “overrated piece of garbage”. He’s done plenty.

195. cautiousoptimist says:
    On a night when we can use a distraction, here’s a good one — a 70’s bench-clearing brawl between the Habs and Bruins involving every player on either bench, a number of fans, the coaches and the Boston P.D.  Total number of penalty minutes: 32.
    1. http://www.flickeringpictures.com – not a hockey site, but still kinda neat
  196. Habsrule1 says:

It’s one game…let’s not panic.

That being said, that was pretty brutal. Price would love the first goal back, but the game didn’t end 1-0 so who cares?

Gionta is taking shots but not really looking dangerous. I think he’ll come around, but until he does, we’ll have to win low scoring games.

I want to say Martin should leave Pouliot with Gionta & Gomez for 10 games, but if he does nothing after 3 or 4, will I still feel the same way? I’m not sure.

What should the top 2 lines actually be?

I think we have 7 potential first liners? Who should go with who, and who should be left on the 3rd line?

Gionta, Gomez, Pouliot, Cammalleri, Kostitsyn, Plekanec, Eller

What are you ideal top 2 lines? I’ll give mine a little later.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

197. emann_222 says:

Been discussing the 12 forwards for ages now … here’s what I said back on Sept 28th before the season even started … http://bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com/2010/09/different-kind-of-controversy.html

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

198. fbkj says:

clear as the water in the st. lawrence? thats some murkey, vile water

199. Bugs says:

Was gonna say sumpin earlier; didn’t. Will so now:

Excellent edit.

Decadently yours, I recline as

200. Mezzy says:

I don’t understand why people pay to go see the habs play the devils. I wouldn’t go watch the devils play even if I had free tickets behind the players bench. Watching re-runs of Dr.Phil would be less boring.

201. HABZ24 says:

we showed too much respect to the devils.should have crashed n banged them. price made a few good stops but got screened on one, bad deflection in front on another, ship happens but we coulda played much harder and hungry. that rypien canucklehead dude should get 10 games.

202. Rainrocket16 says:

Quite possibly a game to forget! Shake it off put it  in the oak pit and fire up some meat of some sort and get ready to crack some Oktoberfest beers over another victory against the Sens.

203. Da Hema says:

Just once, Lordy, I would love to come to this site and see a headline such as “Gomez Torches Devils” or “Gionta Avenges Devils’ Snub” or something along those lines where one of our free agent signings takes it to his former team. Am I asking too much here?

————————

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

204. Rainrocket16 says:

And it is always the players that would be excellent Habs due to their Origin and family background but for some reason they join forces with the dark sides and they become Hab Killers!! Damn them!!

205. Da Hema says:

Here is my top ten list of activities I would rather do than watch the New Jersey Devils:

10. Peel a 20 pound sack of potatos.

9. Listen to a Ph.D. candidate talk about his/her dissertation.

8. Read the last month of Red Fischer columns.

7. Watch “The View.”

6. Go on a blind date set up by my mom.

5. Visit Houston, Texas.

4. Have my prostate evaluated.

3. Write a mid-term exam.

2. Watch “The English Patient”…twice in a row.

1. Remove my dog’s fecal matter from the backyard.

———————–

Nigel Tufnel: It really puts perspective in things, doesn’t it?

David St. Hubbins: Oh, too much. Too much fu*king perspective.

–This is Spinal Tap

206. HabFanSince72 says:

Crash and bang? We do that?

207. HabFanSince72 says:

We can’t beat well organized hard-nosed teams because we’re too small. Our only chance is against teams that over-commit to attack like the over-confident Caps and Pens in the playoffs.

If we lost playing fire-wagon hockey it would be easier to take. Win or lose, we’re a dull team.

208. HabFanSince72 says:

I agree 100% but how is Jacques Martin hockey any more entertaining?

209. The Cat says:

Its not an accurate post. The trap is just a word attributed to teams who excel defensively. Every team traps, its just some do it better than others.

210. The Cat says:

The NJ -Philly playoff series last year was entertaining as hell. The thing is when youre built like the habs and bring little ‘jam’ you end up running in circles against teams like NJ.

211. slamtherimtim says:

4 days off and you come back to work and get nothing done , someone should be getting a pink slip , i dont care who

212. BJ says:

We are celebrating the Oktoberfest here in Germany while you guys are celebrating the “Snorefest”. The Devils are a truly boring team to watch. They are effective against us because of our lack of size and toughness. When finesse doesn’t work against a defensively disciplined team as New Jersey is the only other recourse is bumping and bruising. The upside to this is that there are teams other than New Jersey.

213. LTHF says:

Hello kids  a little hockey quiz this morning:

What defenseman in the NHL is 6’6″ and plays along the boards like someone 5’2″?

What defenseman consistenly turns over the puck to the opposition?

What defenseman have the opposing forward going around him like a pylon?

What defenseman’s shot would have a problem cracking a duck’s egg?

What defenseman makes mistake after mistake and yet is never benched?

What defenseman was on the the ice for first 2 goals last evening and possibly the 3rd?

If you cant get the answer with those clues, i will give some more later.

214. Habfan29 says:

Agree JM has to go if we hope to be successful this year. He just does not motivate the players, most nights they seem disinterested, need some fresh blood in there. Turm them lose does bnot matter if we lose by 1 or 5 it is still a lose but at least let it be entertaining. It was so boring last night that I switched to the Boston- Washington game…..

215. fbkj says:

Ughhh i was at the game, worst part, couldnt change the channel, couldnt leave because i had a friend from out of town with a shit eating grin wearing a vintage brodeur jersey >:(

Price let in a softie but was not the reason we lost…

216. LA Loyalist says:

so it’s OK that we can’t beat the Phlyers or Devils? After all, there are lots of other teams worse than us.

What pisses me of is that it’s no secret Brodeur plays well against us. It’s no secret we have trouble with Devils.

Where is our “speed and creativity” on offense? Where is Martin’s scheme? Did he do anything different against le Devils?

And I was truly hopeful Price would see last night as an opportunity to make a statement that he’s arrived.

I respectfully suggest it’s a game to remember and learn from. Because if we can’t beat NJ and Philly we are not going to win another Stanley Cup any time soon.

That, amigos, is the cold, hard truth.

217. g says:

no, it is odd

“Long before I ever wore the jersey, I wore the jersey.” Dryden

218. LA Loyalist says:

2 amendments:

Ducks managed to beat Pflyers last night, on the road, with their backup goalie. Just sayin…

I second the grilled meat and beer portion of your report :)

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

219. LA Loyalist says:

From being there, how are Devils using Kovalchuk? From your perspective, how are they evolving their system from the good ‘ol trap? Do you think Kovalcuk is going to work there?

thanks!

“I thought we were talking about the waitresses on Bishop St.”

220. LA Loyalist says:

Apparently, based on the evidence, yes.

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

221. fbkj says:

well he certainly didnt make the game exciting

222. volcano62 says:

I can’t beleive im saying this but we need MAB. Like the article said, he was playing on 1 leg during last year’s playoffs.

MAB is needed on the PP very badly.

223. pic1983 says:

I agree.  The idea that were sending guys in their early 20’s to help gomez and gionta “get going” is an absolute farce.  For $13 million per season, these guys should be making anyone who plays on their wing look like a star.

224. avatar_58 says:

I hate to be “that guy” but if you aren’t a scorer or playmaker you don’t belong on a top line. Case closed. I hear arguements about ‘opening up’ or ‘banging bodies’ but those are secondary traits. If you can’t get it into the net or pass to someone who can – you are a bottom 6 guy. AK46 is a hitter and a scorer and thus has a top 6 role.

So if they can’t find someone who can score and make plays I’d suggest they trade for one. I’m a little tired of watching this merry go round of guys who are supposed to “open up” two highly paid top 6 guys.

225. mike g says:

It’s all about chemistry….

Tomas Kopecky in Chicago is a top 6 forward, but logically a bottom 6 if you look at his skill set. However he’s found chemistry with Toews and Hossa, and so far has 8 pts in 8 games.

He shuts his mouth, goes to the net, and racks up points.

He fits, while others haven’t in that role.

226. JD_ says:

I don’t think anyone can really disagree with you.

Trouble is, there’s only so much talent to go around. Suggestin’ the Habs trade for a scorer or playmaker is all well and good except for the fact the Habs have to trade for a scorer or playmaker.

And therein lies the root of the problem.

227. lefreak says:

then you would be tired watching tha majority of nhl teams.

granted many have a bonafide top line, but the number of teams that have “grinders/bangers” in their top 6 outnumber those that don’t.

this is a 30 team league with a salary cap, you have to go with the best configuration to produce points these days (wins)…and if you throw all of your scorers in one place, your lineup becomes very easy to coach against.

trade?

if gauthier could improve this team, i’m sure he would. it is not just as easy as “pick up the phone and fill a need in our lineup” anymore. he has no cap space, and it can be argued that he doesn’t have the bodies that other teams want going the other way. armchair gms make it sound like it should be so easy, it isn’t.

you have to develop your talent/roll guys now…the ones we didn’t trade away don’t look like they can fill the holes…but that is another argument all togther.

the habs might not be the most entertaining team this year, but so far martin has gotten those points in the standings with them.

228. JD_ says:

From sundown to around 11pm is optimal, PK Dave. That’s when I pull the plug(s) on the whole sordid affair.

If I happen to notice a vehicle checkin’ the place out on any given night – some nights, the crescent effectively turns into a Timmy’s drive-thru – I have a remote handy. Sets off a couple of quite creepy and somewhat unsettlin’ little events near the road. This is on top of the eerie stuff their passin’ vehicle already triggered via motion detector.

As always, good times.

229. Bill J says:

“And lastly we will never win with Gill…”

Did you miss the playoff run last season ?

Just sayin’.

Players WILL have off nights, Gill is not Frikkin Bobby Orr here, recognize his role, and you will appreciate him more.

As for Spacek ? I am growing more & more tired of his rookie mistakes at “his” age.

I’ve seen him screw up more then Subban, scary when you think about that for a minute or two.

230. habsguy says:

this team will NEVER win a game with coaching like that..

How does he expect the team to gel when you never know who is playing on your line..

How can the team win when our (should be) checkers are playing on the top lines..

If he can’t see the potential of a Lars Eller he should step down..

And lastly we will never win with Gil and Spacek playing regular shifts!!!!!

Our best player so far this season to me has been PK !!!!!!

231. Kooch7800 says:

The part of the game that bothered me is out forwards were being man handled all game and what happened?  We took penalties out of frustration. There was no real push back. This team seriously lacks gritt.  You can’t have Eller on the fourth line you need  a player like Schultz (just and example) to bang and crash their D.

Broken record spins again

232. jasmin says:

i like game

233. tricolore says:

It’s a familiar story. Brodeur’s mystique always finds the victory in Montreal. Although still lots of hockey to play, I can’t help but feel that the Habs will get more frustrated as the game progresses and have no offensive impact.

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

234. deuce6 says:

“Brodeur Does It To Habs Again”????????????????

Really? Did the guy even see a shot from 10 feet or closer all night? Did he even break a sweat?

235. habs youngtimer says:

PG is the reason this team will never improve.

it’s too bad the Molsons can’t see   that.

this team will be last season’s Edmonton.

I knew they would be rotten.  I just want that #1 or #2 pick. I actually hope they continue to stink.

they’re not a playoff team, not even close.

and if people think they’ll become a great team because of Markov, they’re sadly mistaken. when Markov came back last year, they still lost, and made it into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.

if you have to rely on 1 guy, in order to win, you’re in big trouble.

I love the Montreal Canadiens, but I hate this team. they are by far the least talented team I have ever seen. except for a handful of players, the rest are all 4th liner journeymen players, ie. Boyd, Moen, Pyatt,  Darche, etc.

this team stinks!

236. TomNickle says:

Didn’t I read this post in November of last year.  Only last year we were actually struggling.

237. SeriousFan09 says:

“Find Tony242 and ManApart posts…Cut…Paste…Spellcheck…Done!”

238. Gerry_j6j says:

My god! Overreacting a bit?  We lost a game against a team (goalie) that has been doing this to us for a decade now.  I know juggling the second line around isn’t solid coaching but bashing the organisation all the way up to PG is a bit harsh.

The better team won this contest for sure. We continue to just shoot the puck at Brodeur instead of making plays.

But I must say, the way N.J played tonight , we were lucky to get shots.

N.J. played a terrific defensive game all night and were first on the puck at both ends of the ice.

We need to be much better.

240. SmartDog says:

This was all covered by the “fill in the blank” option.

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

241. TomNickle says:

Hilarious and true on number 10.

Think that’s why Moen gets the call there every once in a while.

242. habaddict_andy says:

They play better short handed cause the winger is not working.  With pouliot it was a mess out there cause he was going all over the place.

243. tricolore says:

Wonder what Max Pacioretty is doing? LOL…

Lafleur, coming out rather gingerly on the right side.

244. Kooch7800 says:

Not playing since Saturday I think has taken its toll here.  There has been a lot of space between these first 6 games.  That means a ton of back to backs will be coming.

Big line needs to start clicking Gionta is starting to play frustrated which is not a good sign.  Hopefully they will break out of it soon.

245. habs youngtimer says:

PP is 1-20, and you think we’re not struggling?????????????

246. TomNickle says:

PP is one area of the game.

Is a 3-2-1 record struggling?

Are we missing the one player who has been the deciding factor in making our powerplay a top 5 unit for the last five years running?

247. jimmy shaker says:

You are 100%right…….with the size of our team the PP has to carry us to the dance just like last year.  Markov, MAB, Cammy, GIO and Gomez, then PK with Marky and Pleks, AK46 and Eller…..sounds good to me.  MAB, Marky and PK can handle  the whole PP, rotating for one another I feel.  Gonchar does it and so does Green.  MAB has to get back on this ship right after Marky gets back, give it 3 games then we’ll see him I think!

Shaker

248. Caballero says:

Hey, maybe, just maybe.

249. habsguy says:

I do recognize roll !!!!!  and it isn’t playing a regular shift,  and YES I did watch the playoffs last year,  he was HUGE in killing penalties,  and that should be his roll,  hos roll shouldn’t be playing a regular shift

Just sayin’.

250. SeriousFan09 says:

People seem to forget that on certain games, we will get our ****s kicked, it will hurt and we’ll have endless hand-wringing and fire the coach nonsense. 76 games remain in this season, the team is at .500 without their best player who’s back next week and if you think Cup Teams don’t have embarassing losses during their season than I’ve got some great real estate in Florida to sell you.

251. TomNickle says:

No Robert.  Price loses games when we score no goals, Martin ruins every player in the NHL not over the age of 30 and Scott Gomez is Hitlers great great grandson.

Oh yeah, and our team gives up everytime the other team scores a goal.

252. RetroMikey says:

One player does not make the team with Markov out.

This is a team sport, remember?

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

253. Bugs says:

The Kid was more than competent enough for us to win tonight. Leave him be.

Truth of the matter is that the Devils completely shut down the neutral zone and totally stifled any creative chances we wanted to produce. That’s why we were shootin from 30ft out. Panic. It ain’t complicated.

When I saw Gio get called for goalie interference, not once but twice, the game-plan became apparent: disrupt Brodeur’s zen. Only thing is, if you’re gonna do it, go all the way. Run Brodeur over. Shoot at his head. Take the penalty, make the Devils mad, precipitate the conflict on YOUR terms, not theirs. THAT’ll disrupt their zen, boy.

Spent the rest of the night chasin’em. Playing their game. Their old, oh-so-tired and boring game. Disgusting.

We deserved to lose tonight. Made all the more painful by the fact that we shoulda and coulda trounced the livin hell out of’em. May this serve as a lesson for next time.

Decadently yours, I recline as

254. Xtrahabsfan says:

The Kid got into the league cause he’s competent but unlike Brodeur he is not consistent…and on this  Habs team  you are going to need a goalie who will stop the puck and forget about the excuses. The Habs are an average team with a lot of older over payed smaller athletes and  are going through a youth movement…the Goalie has too be Freaking Totally Awesome all the Time till the passing of the torch is complete,that it that’s all!

255. RetroMikey says:

We will have games like this all season, bad games along with the good ones but we have so much work to do to make this team a playoff contender this season.

Back to the basics of hockey at practice.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

256. habs11s says:

Random though as I watched this snore-fest

I know it won’t happen for a long time, but i’d love to see

Gionta-Gomez-Leblanc

________________________________________________________________________________________________

257. Mezzy says:

I don’t know about that line. Any line with Gomez in it will be terrible.

258. punkster says:

Don’t kid yourself SF. This is Tony.

259. SeriousFan09 says:

It is, but each player makes impacts in the game and with the team standing at .500 missing it’s best skater, one can reasonably argue that record can improve with increased mobility from the blue line and better management of the PP. Won’t make it all better, but Markov is an impact skater and the team misses his calming influence over games.

260. RetroMikey says:

Even with Markov in the lineup tonight, we still would lose the game IMO.

Our team is a work in progress this season.

“We will win the Cup one day only with ? in the nets “

261. SeriousFan09 says:

Probably, but one of the two we lost before this likely would’ve gone the other way. Like I said, we’re going to have some ugly losses regardless of roster but ATM, team’s on good footing while they wait for their MVP skater.

262. The Cat says:

I guess by that logic the Islanders will win the cup then ;)…You give Markov way too much credit.

263. SeriousFan09 says:

And you don’t give him enough, xenophobe. Get over Malakhov.

264. christophor says:

Some of those contracts are a few years from ending.

Lets hope the mid-30s versions Gomez and Gionta will produce enough to justify their cap space. I’ll be honest, one of the first thoughts when Gomez and Gionta joined was them at 35-36 years old. I was a bit scared.

I don’t want the habs to depend on the Kid making highlight-of-the-night saves every night.

265. Jordio-oh says:

the goalie has to be freaking totally awesome all the time?

haha, oh man. get a grip.

266. christophor says:

For some reason, there are a few posters who everyone has decided to ^%$^ on every time they post.

Unreasonable posts, ok. But in this post, the dude was criticizing the team, not so much Carey.

267. Bugs says:

Well, “consistently” speaking, this year the Kid has 3 wins and Brodeur has 2.

And, I dunno if you forgot but we “averaged” our way to the ECF with this team last year, soooo…it ain’t all bad.

I mean, can’t we lose fair and square sometimes too? The Devils were better than us tonight and they deserved to win. That doesn’t mean nuthin for next time we meet. We’re still in the “top tier” of the League in standings as is, and we don’t even have our best player with us.

And I think we must rejoice that the Kid is dang well BRINGIN IT every night so far. He has yet to let in a team morale-deflating goal or a game-killing goal since the start of the season. This is a GOOD thing regardless of the outcome of this particular game against a team that’s had our flippin number for nigh on two decades.

A little friggin perspective here, no?

Decadently yours, I recline as

268. Cam_1 says:

You will lose !  SJ @ Col 5.5 will be over tho.

269. mike g says:

MISE-O-JEU time…..

On my way to work this morning, I played a ticket. Tell me what you think.

-Anaheim-Philly: over 5.5 goals

-Rangers to beat Toronto

-Dallas to beat Florida

-Jersey to beat Habs

-LA to beat Phoenix

-NYI and Tampa: over 5.5 goals

-PIT and NSH: shootout

All that with 5$, will bring me $1,5550 tomorrow.

What ya think?

270. SeriousFan09 says:

I shall call you a traitor for betting for NJ over MTL and say good day sir!

271. Drive4twenty5 says:

We need to beat the hE&% out of these guys. Kick brodeur while he is down.

“Well, he’s a thoroughbred, and maybe your wife doesn’t recognize that, but then again, I can’t bake bread all that well. We all have different skills.” …Bob Gainey “Classic”

272. adam76 says:

20 mins away from another brodeur shutout at home, the more things change….

273. tricolore says:

Just what Brodeur needed to get him back on track. Bet ya Halak wishes he was coming to MTL soon.

Why JM so religiously keeping GG and SG together? Maybe it’s the 2 of them that have to be broken and get differnt linemates? Maybe put Gomez on D and move Gill to the Gionta line to add some speed and puck handling.

275. Say Ash says:

MAB between the pipes?

276. punkster says:

Other than your tongue-in-cheek last sentence it may come to that. But given the history between G&G over the years I would see separation as a last ditch effort. Counselling first (whoops, sorry, I was thinking about my 3 marriages…never mind)

277. habaddict_andy says:

If they are seperated, who are they gonna play with?  We can’t break Plek line.  That one going well.  Just put Eller in there and see what happens.

278. Peterborough Habs Fan says:

Playing New Jersey and especially Brodeur always worries me. A win at home by 3 goals will really boost the confidence.

279. Topham says:

Tricky game this one as NJ could be better than they currently are and Montreal probably arent’ as good as getting points in 80% of games suggests. I think the key for Montreal victory will be the second line picking up against a depleted Devils second pair. Volchenkov and Salvador would be a first pair for this team and Salmela would play, so the Tallinder/Taormina or whatever they ice is a bit of a gift for a Devils match-up.

Overall, I think it’s an interesting time for these teams to meet. 5 games is enough for teams to start taking stock of where they are and what they need to do to change that. The Devils will want a win and the Canadiens could really benefit from making sure they don’t get one, both in the standings and in confidence.

Lions in Winter Preview

280. LA Loyalist says:

Yep. I think Brodeur is pretty much done.

281. pmaraw says:

10 saves is better than 2, if brodeur is done….  prehaps we should call him oldeur?

282. adam76 says:

So was Roy in 1995

283. mike g says:

Robert, I once lost $6,000 thanks to the Habs….

It was about 4-5 years ago. I played a $10 ticket that had 3 shootouts on it, and 3 wins. All 3 shootouts came in, and the 2 other wins. Montreal failed to beat the NYI, and I lost the ticket.

From that day on, I never pick MTL. I don’t always bet against them, but I’ll never pick them.

And tonihgt, with NJ being a pretty big underdog, I’ll take my chances with a team that has dominated us more than any other during the Brodeur era.

And if the Habs win, I’ll just be happy we got the 2pts.

284. TomNickle says:

Trying having a propicks football ticket that would win you a couple hundred thousand lose because David Akers hits the upright on a 40 yard field goal.

Yeah, that David Akers.  The guy who’s gone about 80% from that range over the course of a 13 year career.

285. SeriousFan09 says:

Hence why it’s called gambling Mike.

Personally, holding you accountable for all bad-luck losses since we’ve got a Habs fan tempting fate by betting against his team.

286. mike g says:

And you’re still alive today??!!!…

LOL, it wasn’t Akers’ fault, Tom.

Blame Kovalchuk.

287. mike g says:

You’re welcome!!!!

288. TomNickle says:

The worst part was that it was with about ten friends after a game of flag football.

We’re all at a pub watching the game live and there are close to a dozen guys cheering thinking I’m holding a couple hundred grand in my hand.  So everybody in the bar is rooting for Akers to make the field goal, naturally because everyone in the bar is about to be drinking on my dime, and the stupid arse nails the left upright.

Things were thrown.

I laughed hysterically for about 5 minutes.  What else can you do?

289. TomNickle says:

How does a left footed kicker hit the left f’ing upright?

He’s such a dick.

290. mike g says:

Wow..

Your hands must have been so sweatty holding the ticket.

Poor guy.

291. TomNickle says:

Nope, wasn’t even nervous.  Akers is just about automatic from there.  Thought it was in the bag.

Boy was I wrong.

Should’ve known better, the game was at the Meadowlands where the wind is vicious.

292. soflohabsfan says:

Had something like that happen to me a 5000$ ticket that I picked 3 ties and 3 favorites to win all ties come in and 2 wins come in I have Ott over TO going into the 3rd Ott up 4-0 I’m flipping it’s in the bag well I counted those chickens to fast Ott lost 5- 4 overtime. Epic Fail just another reason to hate Toronto.

293. mike g says:

Ouch.

294. Nilan4Pres says:

MAB could play as one of the pipes.

295. SmartDog says:

It does seem odd the guys that are getting a shot on what was “supposed” to be our FIRST line (but is obviously our second).

If it was up to you, which of the following would you prefer:

1. Keep the revolving door going.  Hell, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

2. Put Benny in there and give him time. He was dynamite last year for awhile anyway, and is more skilled than any plunker.

3. Put _________ in there. Name another Hab who deserves it and why.

4. Plan a trade. Since our club doesn’t have it – we need to go get it. Someone must have a 2nd line winger who’s out of favour, and we have depth.

SD

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

296. TomNickle says:

Put Benny there for about 15 games.  If it doesn’t work out, deal a roster player or two and get Maxim Afinogenov on the phone.

I think he would work with those two.

297. habaddict_andy says:

Try Eller and/or Pacioretty before considering a trade.

298. krob1000 says:

Where are options 5-10?

5. Call someone up…Palushaj or White (although both righties) or even Maxwell?

6. Dustin Boyd

7.Lars Eller

8. split Gio and Gomer and endless opportunites arise.

9. MAB

10. decline the option of a winger…they don’t really use whoever is there and they play better shorthanded anyway

299. pic1983 says:

Id prefer to put benny in there and to give him 10 games.  Benny is doing everything right except scoring.  If the coach shows him some confidence, and he knows that hes going to have some time to get into a rhythm, things should start to come around.  If after a solid 10 games he just cant get it going, than you look for option B.  We have a 3-1-1 record, and are a whole 5 games into the season, no reason to start panicking and start juggling the lines every day.  Its not like Pouliot is playing poorly and making all kinds of mistakes, the line just doesnt seem to be clicking yet, but its still early.

300. avatar_58 says:

I’ve a question – why is the Gomez line ever referred to as the “top line”? Gio/Gomer are the only set people on that line. Cammalleri is our top scorer, Plek our top point getter. AK46 is almsot ALWAYS on that set line. Ergo to me it’s 100% the top line, hands down.

301. Drive4twenty5 says:

Agreed, It seems like its the one thing were missing right now up front… Trade or ride Pouliot.

302. LA Loyalist says:

We have to play Poo until he drops on that line for at least ten games, even if it hurts.

He will either blossom or not.

But we need to know.

303. JustSomeguy says:

I’d go with Pouliot. Get him settled in with a line. Give him consistent ice time. And see what happens. But, so far, the team’s earning points so there’s no need to panic and start shuffling around lines more or less randomly. Patience is what’s called for.

FWIW, I think the return of Markov will help offensively, and the nominal #2 line will benefit from having more crisp, accurate passes out of the d-zone. And there should be a BIG bump on the powerplay. Speaking of patience, Markov’s very, very good at giving the fowards time to set up on the PP, and he’s superb at reading plays and making the right pass at the right time. So far, the PP has looked sloppy and rushed; Makov can change that.

And Gomez, Gionta, and Pouliot should be the recipients of more than a few PP points. Pouliot, I believe, just needs ice time and steady linemates, while Gionta and Gomez will benefit from having one of the league’s best PP quarterbacks back on the blueline.

304. krob1000 says:

Forgot about Paciorettty ..interesting…

305. habs001 says:

unless there is some break out players this team on most nights will struggle to score more than 3 goals…many of our forwards are not consistent scorers…the key will be getting pp goals and maintaining a strong pk…solid goaltending and minimizing defensive mistakes…most of our games will be tied or one goal differences in the third…beyond our scorers the rest of the forwards have not shown that they can score consistently…best we can hope for that one or two go on a streak and when they cool off another two go on a streak…

306. TomNickle says:

We have Cammalleri and Gionta.  Very consistent goal scorers.

Looking around the Conference, who has more consistency in their goal scoring?

Ottawa, Toronto, Buffalo, Boston.  The answer is no to all four of our divisional foes.

Rangers, Islanders – Nope.

Thrashers, Panthers, Hurricanes – Nope.

In our conference, only the Flyers, Penguins, Devils, Lightning and Capitals have more consistent goal scorers.

If Andrei Kostitsyn stays consistent.  You can remove the Devils and Lightning from that list of teams who have more consistent scoring.

307. LA Loyalist says:

You said it better than I. √

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

308. CHCanadien says:

Anyone else sick of the same broken record?

309. jimmy shaker says:

Doesn’t matter how good or bad the team is in front of brodeur or ward…….those two guys will always have our number.  Going down against a jersey team is recipe for disaster.  Carey gave up the first goal which was a bad one for him to give up and it just allowed Jersey to switch into their system and bore us all to death.  Other 2 goals were not Carey’s fault.  Feel like he done well tonight and made a fantastic cross crease save earlier.  Furlat is my favourite ref!

Shaker

310. jimmy shaker says:

I’ll take Hammer, Picard, Spacek off this roster for MAB in a heart beat.  First I’d try and trade Hammer, then Spacek and just send Picard to the minors.

Shaker