Game 6: Brodeur does it to Habs again

The Devils celebrate Zach Parise’s first-period goal on Thursday night. Dave Sidaway, The Gazette

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s NHL schedule | Boone’s

Game Blog and About last night … | Stubbs

on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: Brian Gionta | Carey Price | Hal Gill | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: Martin Brodeur strikes again. Despite winning only one of his six starts this season, Brodeur came into Montreal and shut out the Canadiens by a score of 3-0, making 29 saves in the process.
Carey Price was far less occupied, but was beaten three times on 20 shots in a game that was less than thrilling for the fans at the Bell Centre.
Zach Parise got the evetual game winner early in the first period when his shot from an odd angle eluded Price.
The Devils also got goals from Jason Arnott in the second and Matt Taormina beat Price with a floater in the third period.
For New Jersey, it is only their second win of the season.

• Key Moments: Once again, the Canadiens fired blanks on the power play, going 0-for-3.

• What It Means: Montreal’s record falls to 3-2-1 and the loss snaps a two-game winning streak.

• What’s Next: The Canadiens are in Ottawa on Saturday for the second game against the Senators in a week, and then are back home to take on the Phoenix Coyotes on Monday.

1. Mattyleg says:

I don’t think we ‘ruined’ Latendresse.

He wasn’t prepared to play here. See John Leclair.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

2. Just A Guy says:

/raises his hand to make a point

oh right… crystal ball…

3. TomNickle says:

Four words.

Brett Hull

Mike Modano

American heroes in their prime years who captivated the hearts of not only their region, their nation.

4. Mattyleg says:

Uhhh… he’s a big orange monster…?

Hello?

jeez..

—Hope Springs Eternal—

5. mike g says:

Ouch….lol

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

6. Mattyleg says:

My money is on him drawing x-es and o-s on his whiteboard.

—Hope Springs Eternal—

7. TB says:

Makes you wonder is Buttman working in the interests of the owners or is this his agenda he is pushing

8. LA Loyalist says:

Big difference between 21 and 23 at that age, espesh with a larger body frame. Lots of stuff going on.

Patience peoples!

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

9. LA Loyalist says:

Patience peoples!

“To failing hands we’ve passed the torch.”

10. SeriousFan09 says:

“Sorry I devastated your city, here’s a Super Bowl win!”

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

11. blu3chip says:

How about you put me on the GG line?  😀

12. shiram says:

He’s a mascot, they dont have to make sense.

13. LA Loyalist says:

… and to finish your thought, if I may, we need, collectively, to LEARN from that (me too) and not rush our fences.

I think to play Poo and Eller in situations for which they are suited and being groomed is useful.

To give them a few grinder minutes is a big waste of time.

14. mike g says:

I’m too young to remember..

But what I do know is that Dallas used to be a packed arena. When they ice a good team, the fans go and watch. This year they’ve started off well, but they’ve got a high payroll.

Salaries increased, ticket prices increased, and the salary cap is creating a huge mess for these low-budget franchises.

Dallas, ATL, NYI, FLA, TB, CLB and PHO are in a ton of trouble.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

15. TomNickle says:

No, I find it more alarming than that is that he allows teams to bring down the revenue and profits of the NHL and it’s franchises, players, coaches, agents and regular employees by allowing teams to remain in markets where they cannot succeed.

More alarming still is that he compounds the problem by suggesting they move to cities where they’ll be no more successful than their current destinations.  Like from Nashville to Oklahoma City or from Florida to Kansas City or Phoenix to Las Vegas.

Seattle, Quebec City and anywhere else would be great choices.

16. Just A Guy says:

Loud noises!

17. mike g says:

Yup..

What about Brett Favre’s wife coming out with a book??!!   WTF is going on in this world?

She said she’s using faith and God to deal with her issues, and she explains it in the book.

Well Mrs. Favre, Mike G’s got good news for you. I just finished eating lunch with God, and he said he’s gonna try and catch a plane to come see you tonight and read your book.

Wow, American’s are special people, eh?

God and faith is always the solution. Just like God won the Super Bowl for the Saints last year.

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

18. LA Loyalist says:

memory fails… whey did they leave Minnesoda (where they actually willingly play hockey themselves) for Dallas?

was there ever an explanation beyond “Gary says”…?

19. adam76 says:

Also – I find the team scores 3 or more goals a game 86% of the time if I have 2 or more cups of coffee before 10 AM AST.

20. TomNickle says:

And played through having mono for the first half of the year.

21. TomNickle says:

Because you don’t understand how to evaluate hockey or hockey players.

22. Say Ash says:

You didn’t pick Ottawa?

23. SeriousFan09 says:

I find it more alarming that Bettman keeps finding suckers who managed to amass huge wealth to buy into the franchises that end up making them broke. All that money and they don’t seem to understand how to hold on to it.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

24. adam76 says:

I DON;T KNOW WHAT WE ARE YELLING ABOUT!

25. habs365 says:

It’s a picture of the stanleycup, maybe it’ll come up next comment

26. TB says:

Thats a little harsh considering he was second in rookie scoring to Tyler Ennis of Buffalo (who is currently playing and one of the favorites to win the calder) also third in rookie scoring was Logan Couture who is playing for San Jose this year.  Also St. Louis felt he was close to NHL ready as well last year

I think Lars is right where he needs to be, Top 6 might be too much right now but I don’t see how playing an extra 5 min a night in a subpar league is gonna help – he is being given time to adjust to the NHL level then I suspect Martin will give him a look on one of the top 2 lines I believe that is why even when on the 3rd and 4th lines martin has him on the wing

27. mike g says:

So yesterday the NHL “lent” the Dallas Stars 8 million dollars…

This was so that they can continue to operate and not pull a Tampa Bay Lightning of a few years ago and stop paying your employees.

Anyone else find this really alarming?

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

28. G-Man says:

Zero goals and not supporting his teammates is exactly why BP is not on that line. He missed assignments and Gionta mentioned the missing support in 1 of his recent interviews.
    JM is not as bad a coach as many of these armchair or NHL 11 coaches are.

29. habs365 says:

i HOPE THE 2ND LINE LOOKS AT WHAT THIS PICTURE MEANS TO THE FANS IN MONTREAL AND THEY DESERVE IT, WE’VE WAITED LONG ENOUGH, START TONIGHT PUTTING THE PUCK IN THE NET, THERE’S THREE OF YA, HELP THE 1ST LINE THEY CAN’T BE EXPECTED TO WIN ALL THE GAMES. I SAY ALL THREE LINES 2ND, 3RD, 4TH START DOING SOMETHING, THE SEASON WILL BE OVER AND YOU’LL WONDER WHY YOU’RE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS, ALL THE TEAMS IN THE EASTERN CONFERENCE HAS IMPROVED AND IF THE FANS CAN SEE IT, SURELY YOU SHOULD, NO GIMMIES THIS YEAR IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS YOU’D BETTER DO A LITTLE MORE SCORING…..

30. SmartDog says:

INTERESTING AND RARE that the majority on here AGREE that Pouliot is probably the best fit for the G-Love line, AND that he’s been working hard, hitting, giving a good effort.

But… MARTIN obviously thinks he’s not up to it, not worth the time, patience, etc. to TEACH HIM to play there.

Hhhhmmmm…… I wonder what Boucher would do?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

31. Rob says:

Yet you want to “rush” Eller and put him on the second line?  I don’t get it

The Montreal Canadiens: sporting the best AND worst fans since 1909!

32. scrowe21 says:

Oh I know lol, but im actually wondering when it was. I know it wasn’t last year, did he have one the year before? I cant remember.

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

33. SmartDog says:

No, it’s for too many weird-looking orange things on the ice.

WTF is Youppi anyway?

———
    Listen to the SmartDog. He knows his poop!

34. Kooch7800 says:

I 100% agree with you

35. adam76 says:

Agree with that 100%

36. Kooch7800 says:

Carey Price is still proving himself in his third season in Montreal and we are currently only 5 games in.  he is a good goalie and will be in the NHL but might not be in Montreal. He could have used a full season in the AHL.  He was rushed to the NHL which was a mistake.  Even after his injury 2 years ago in January he was rushed back so he could be in the all star game and his numbers dramatically dropped off after that.

I am Price fan but i do think he was rushed which I don’t think has helped him any

37. habrez says:

Tomas Plekanec had 64 points in 80 games in his final AHL season as a 23 year old.

Lars Eller had 57 points in 70 games in his rookie season in the AHL as a 21 year old.

These stats alone makes it fair enough for people to expect a bright future, trouble is nothing develops as quickly as the Habs or their fains would like.

Would you prefer if he put up numbers more like Corey Locke, Jason Krog or David Deharnais?

38. LA Loyalist says:

don’t post that, you’ll get flamed.

39. Kooch7800 says:

Eller was drafted to be a two way centre with good offensive instincts similar to a Plek’s. Putting him in a checking role is useless.  He probably needs another year in the AHL.

He won’t develop in this role. Pure and simple

40. LA Loyalist says:

well, the problem is everyone is different, which is why it takes JUDGEMENT from the coaches and gms to work with each player.

For the 100th time I am posting a reference to the archives the story about how THE BIG 3 were brought up to the Habs from Nova Scotia (and sometimes sent back down). We were PATIENT and CAREFUL with them. You can read about it in Larry Robinson’s memoirs, too (which are pretty darn funny).

Blah blah blah it’s easy to take your time when you have a stacked team, I know someone will post that, but what is gained by wrecking a kid like we wrecked Latendresse and damn near wrecked Price?

If Poo and Open-face sandwich guy are the prize potato we should be extra judicious with them. Theoretically that is why Martin’s experience is one of the reasons he’s here?

Or am I just crazy and it’s throw the kids on the ice and it’s sink or swim?

41. coachdoug says:

The “System” never takes a day off…bring on Martin F. Brodeur…

“Six more years…God Bless You Turtleneck Man!”

42. samTHEman says:

Last time I posted my predictions was the Tampa game. I predicted a 4-3 Loss, with Tampa notching 2 PPG, Pleky having 1G 1A and the 3rd star, Goals by Stamkos Lecavalier St-Louis and Malone. Now if you go do your research you’ll notice that I called all of that right except for Lecavalier’s goal.

43. newbrunswick troy says:

nope your wrong!!! Martin will have the guy sitting in section 309 lace up with Gio & Gomez before he goes back to Pouliot….   to be exact the guy in row D- seat 17 !!!ha ha

44. LA Loyalist says:

I guess you need a picture of Cassius Clay because you aren’t really very manly and live in your mom’s basement playing starwars all day – am I close?

45. newbrunswick troy says:

I,m worried about this game …first of all after 4 or 5 days off, this team probly has no blood flow in there legs!! and second of all Brodeur & co. always find a way to elevate thier game against the habs!! and finaly our power play sucks!!!! its at just 5.9% and thats 29th in the league,,however our penalty kill is at 90% good…but the great scotty bowman once said you can,t win unless thos two numbers add up to 100% or better….that said  does anybody got 4.1% we can lend them?????

46. samTHEman says:

My opinion on the line-up:

AK-Plek-Cam

Poul-Gomez-Gio

Eller-Halpern-Lapierre

Moen-Boyd-Pyatt

Darche (as much as i would love to see White in the line-up, i rather he gets called up to play and not sit in the press box)

47. avatar_58 says:

Well to be perfectly frank neither is Pouliot. He needed another AHL year or two.

48. emann_222 says:

I agree … way to much time on your hands … LOL But you make a great statistician!

Let the beering commence!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

49. emann_222 says:

Everyone considers PK to be Prime Time!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

50. adam76 says:

I still don’t understand how a player with only 5 games NHL experience prior to this season and below average AHL numbers – all of a sudden becomes a top six player the second he pulls on a Habs jersey.

He is not ready for prime time.

51. scrowe21 says:

Anyone know the last time Price had a shutout?

————-

2 on 1 Fake pass deke

52. Chuck says:

Subdued. The crowd (aside from the Hab fans, of course) was lame. We out-cheered them in their own building.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

53. emann_222 says:

I agree totally. This kid parks in front of the net, has size, good hands. He’s the good solution. But mark my words – JM won’t do it! I don’t know why!

Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com

54. WindsorHab-10 says:

Why don’t you guys take your predictions & shove them.

Go Habs Go!!!!!!!!!!

55. Kooch7800 says:

Why is Eller not given a shot to play with G & G ? he is not a third & fourth wing guy.  you might as well have him play in the minors then cause putting him in those roles is useless.  I hope we don’t ruin him like Latts, Price etc.

56. habfan53 says:

Chuck you have to much time on your hands.  How was Buffalo last week??

57. emann_222 says:

Lot’s of pre-game thoughts on tonights game and what’s been happening in the 4 off days … Visit me at http://www.bleedbleublancrouge.blogspot.com and check out the latest post.

Really curious what the thoughts are on the Hamrlik switch and the Pyatt move.

PLUS …

Who else thinks that leadership will have to light a flame tonight to get motivation strong after 4 days off!!! ???

58. RGM says:

I’m just glad that there’s finally a game to watch!!!

59. lefreak says:

2 – 1 habs.

bottom 6 guy scores a bad bounce goal for us.

parize gets one shorthanded.

cammi gets the winner in the 3rd.

it will most likely be a game of epic boring neutral zone proportions. they really need to watch parize, he is the hab killer. i make sure to never buy tickets when the devils are in town, because i already have a prescription for sleeping pills;p

60. Chuck says:

My prediction: there’ll be come hockey played at the Bell shortly after 7:30. Aside from that, my ball’s a little fuzzy.

The crystal, silly.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

61. Say Ash says:

This is good news, as you’re due to call it correctly.

62. samTHEman says:

Andrei Kostitsyn 1G 1A

Carey Price Shutout

Gorges + 2

Plekanec 2A

Cammalleri 2G 1A

Subban PPG

4-0 Habs

A man can dream…

63. blu3chip says:

My prediction:

Habs outshot Devils by a small margin.

Habs win by two or more goals, not counting empty netters.

Habs have a PPG.

Cammy scores 2.

Price has a great game, again.

Subban plays a much more conservative game.

Fans in arena chant Ole Ole Ole Ole for the entire 3rd period :)

64. SeriousFan09 says:

They’ve moved away from the trap more this year, with a softer defence and an aging Brodeur. I’m tired of hearing about how this guy is unbeatable when he plays the Habs. They’ve made his job too easy, thinking they can’t beat him and hitting him dead center in the chest protector far too often, they make his nights in Montreal too easy, too often. Half of Brodeuer’s power over the Habs seemed to be fear after a few years as their mini-Dynasty team knocked us around and Habs couldn’t believe they could score on him.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

65. mike g says:

Robby, lol…

It’s just my prediction. That’s what I think is gonna happen.

NJ always plays us strong, and they have a bunch of Hab-killers on their roster.

Marty has 38 wins in 59 carrer games. That’s incredible.

Just a feeling I’ve got that they’ll come at us really hard.

Only way I see us winning is if Price makes 40+ saves and steals the show.

Possible, but were talking about NJ vs MTL here….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

66. Chuck says:

Interesting stat: though the season is still
    young, the Devils have yet to win on a weekend (0-2-0) while the Habs have yet
    to lose on a weekend (2-0-0). Unfortunately, today is Thursday.

Both of the Hab
    losses–one regulation and one overtime–have come on a weekday. And the Devils
    only win? Yep… a weekday. Additionally, the Devils’ only win has come on a
    road game. Someone beer me; this could be a long night.

Centre Hice: documenting one fan’s attachment to the Montreal Canadiens.

67. bwoar says:

3-1 Habs.  Zajac scores early in the first and Carey holds the fort during a penalty-fest.  Subban, Gionta and Plekanec score for our side as the PP clicks for a change.

68. SeriousFan09 says:

JT Bourne’s take on the Rypien incident and less-than-pleasant Fan-player interaction.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

69. SeriousFan09 says:

YOu do not have official Reverse Jinx powers Mike, knock it off.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu.

70. habaddict_andy says:

Your forgetting the Ref. finally helping us out by disallowing the goal.

Oyoyoye….

Scott Gomez to Montreal Media “You’re a pain in the neck, but you’re our pain in the neck.”

71. mike g says:

Soobie hits the post from 40 feet away….

Kovalchuk comes down the other way, tries to use Spacek as a screen, but Jaro falls backwards sliding into Price, and Kovalchuk scores in a pretty much empty net goal.

Oyoyoye….

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.

72. TomNickle says:

Zajac scores two.

Plekanec, Andrei and Subban score.

Habs win 3-2 on a late powerplay goal from Soobie,

73. mike g says:

Mike G’s Prediction for Tonight’s game….

Habs: Pleckanec scores, Cammy scores, and Pouliot gets a lucky one too for his confidence.

Devils: Parise, Elias, Kovalchuk and Greene score.

Devils win 4-3, in a really tigth game where we get outshot 43-23.

Carey plays very well, but f’kin Spacek costs us a goal with less than 5 minutes to go in the game.

Ok, go ahead and bash me now. But that’s my prediction…..

“These head movies make my eyes rain” -Simple Jack

I got AK at under 64.5 pts, with Triple X and Tom Nickle.