Game 57: Lightning shocks Canadiens

Canadiens’ Alex Kovalev splits Lightning defencemen Paul Ranger (left) and Dan Boyle during the first period on Tuesday night.
REUTERS/Mike Carlson

Updated by The Gazette’s Kevin Mio

Lineups | Preview | Game Summary | Event Summary | Game Story | Boxscore | Boone

The Canadiens dropped their third straight game on Tuesday night with a 3-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning, the Eastern Conference’s worst team.

Vaclav Prospal scored a pair of goals for the Lightning, including the game winner 12 minutes into the third period.

Of their three consecutive losses, two have come against the worst teams in the East, including a 4-2 loss to the Toronto Maple Leafs. In between those two games was a 6-1 drubbing at the hands of the East’s best team, the Ottawa Senators. The Canadiens have also lost four of their last five games overall.

Canadiens goaltender Cristobal Huet would probably like to have all three Lightning goals back as the French netminder didn’t look comfortable in net. His counterpart, Karri Ramo, had a much easier night as the Habs could muster only 21 shots.

The Habs, playing their first game since the arrest of Ryan O’Byrne and Tom Kostopoulos, got off to a fast start as Christopher Higgins scored his 17th of the season only 50 seconds into the game.
Tampa Bay got that one back only a few minutes later when Michel Ouellet scored on a rebound 5:15 into the first period.
Before the halfway point of the period, Tomas Plekanec made it 2-1 for the Canadiens with a power-play goal, his 21st of the season, on a nice pass from Mark Streit.
But the lead would not last to the end of the period as Vaclav Prospal scored on a harmless looking shot with only 41 seconds to play. Prospal added his second of the game 11:51 into the third period to give Tampa Bay the lead for good.
After a solid first period, the Canadiens failed to put any pressure on Ramo and the Lightning, registering only four shots in the second period and eight in the third. Overall, the Habs were outshot 36-18, with the Lightning firing 17 shots on Huet in the third period.
The Canadiens will play the Florida Panthers Wednesday night.

1. HabsInsideOut says:

Hi, we’re performing some upgrades to this function. In the absence of the feature, you’ll just all have to be extra nice.

2. Shiloh says:

Are you a teacher?

3. planet habs says:

Huet! couldn’t stop a beachball! 2 softies so far and counting……….

4. MNaslund26 says:

all i can think since the start of this game is we need hamrlik back as soon as possible. brisbois is not quite the player he used to never be.

5. The Teacher says:

Yes, I am. And you’re turning me to the dark side now ;)

6. The Teacher says:

LMAO Shiloh.

7. Shiloh says:

We just finished changing the Regulation governing teacher-training for the deaf and hearing-impaired. I was shocked at the gulf between the two deaf communities – the technically-assisted people (cochlear implants) disagree completely with the “cultural” deaf community who espouse heavy qualifications in ASL or LSQ. It was very interesting.

8. jew4jah says:

pure boognish

9. Shiloh says:

Isn’t Lats playing well tonight? I mean, he actually touched the puck twice in the 2nd period – and there’s a few minutes to go.

10. nightmare_49 says:

Well at least they will have something to talk about during the Puckcast with the trade and Tampa’s nightlife.

11. Dave Stubbs says:

We let a LOT of stuff go here. The comment that was deleted was offensive to a number of people who emailed me about it. I couldn’t disagree with them. Ultimately, we have to decide what we’ll allow and what we won’t. Nothing personal.

Dave Stubbs

Habs Inside/Out
    Sports Feature Writer, Montreal Gazette

12. Smart Dog says:

No Hamrlik. Brisebois and Smolinski in the line-up. I think I’ll watch CSI. This one is probably already over.

________________________________________________________________
    Habs Fans! The FUTURE looks bright:
    Plekanec, Higgins, Chipchura, A Kostitsyn, Lapierre, Latendress,
    Price, S Kostitsyn, Komisuarus, O’Byrne

13. Woah_Dana says:

This game should be a “gimme” but with Breezer on the ice it may turn out to be more of a “here you are”..

GO HABS!
    ~Sergei Kostitsyn, marry me!!

14. RC-51 says:

two very bad losses in a row, and now this? i hope this isnt the begining of their yearly downfall!! GO HABS GO

15. joe-hab-nuno says:

You know when the players get interviewed and after a loss we always hear “We have to keep it simple”

Can’t get much simplier then “PLAY HARD FOR 60 MIN”

Go habs GO

16. Shiloh says:

Are you sure you wouldn’t throw in Kovalev as well?

17. joe-hab-nuno says:

I only pray for 2 things each time they play.
    1- Play hard for 60 min
    If they win , i’m the happiest hab fan out there.
    If they lose, I’m proud they played hard and tried.
    2- Stop trying to shut down teams when you have a lead

Just trying to see where they could have been in the standings if they hadn’t gone to overtime or lost those games where they tried holding the lead by trying to shut down the opposition.

Go Higgins go

18. Xtrahabsfan says:

I’m still chuckling about all of this,it’s …well…it’s been a quite different day and not just for me.Hey ,maybe O’byrne and Tommie got some Cuban spanish culture while being ON ICE,lol Maybe they can steal the game tomorro,and put it in the BAG!And why didn’t Huey Save them?Choke under pressure again,lol Anywho keep your eye’s on our boy’s tomorro in Tampa”and keep your eye’s on your wallets” I think our Habs are the new Bad Boy’s of Hockey”Cris Simon wants in”

19. krob1000 says:

Anyone heard anything about any possible line combos or whether Huet is going tonight or tomorrow (or both). Two back to backs in one week (you out there Fact guy)….I wonder if Huet gets three or if this is split. Normally Carbo already knows what he is doing so I am surprised not to have heard yet.

20. carmine007 says:

MJAMES THE PERSON WHO THINKS THIS IS A VIABLE TRADE MUST BE ON SOME BAD MEDICATION!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

21. Hockey11 says:

Dandys 3 hits and 2 shots don’t count?, Laps is a bust, Smokes is nowhere, you don’t like Dandy, trade him

This team is playoff bound, you want who from Hamilton?, the regular season is foreplay for the playoffs, gimme playoffs and gimme experience.

Why is Pleks taking faceoffs with the goalie out, he was struggling with draws big time.

We need coaching and 5 v 5 scoring

Koivu?????????????????????

22. krob1000 says:

He’d be way down on my list too (Prospal) and yes that was him. I just thought it was interesting when someone mentioned him because he does play a grittier offensive game and I found it interesting. You are probably right and even more so given the crap from Tampa and on the other thread…all the team needs is more controversy.

23. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

true…but playoffs are a different world…then again we had their number the year they won the cup, before they took koivus eye out.

that would have been our cup…

24. carmine007 says:

Here is a perfect example of why hockey players need to put themselves in a higher standard than football or baseball. Hockey is a international game and if O’byrne cant travel to the US, then he’s worthless to us and to any other team. Man I’m so pissed that this is getting so much press coverage her is the states. Seems the press feed off bad new and not the good stuff.

Lets hope we can play a good match and get back on our winning ways.

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

25. showey47 says:

I do hope that ryan does get to play and is paired with the hamr, that gives us an excellent second pairing that can play a shutdown role. I’m not sure about prospal, isn’t he the guy who called brisebois a “frog” back in his sens day? He is a skilled player but i don’t know if he would be welcome in the city of montreal.

Dave Stubbs – Have we lost the ‘flag as offensive’ feature for each individual post? Or am I just missing something here.

The Original 24 Cups

27. planet habs says:

This is a game habs should have won. Too bad THEY NEVER PLAY 60 MINUTES! what am I saying? they didn’t play for 6 minutes! habs have now lost 4 of their last 5. Thats what happens when: a) you don’t show up! 2) Huet can’t stop a shot! Welcome to the habs of last year!
    No playoffs guys

28. krob1000 says:

I sure hope so ….he was our most unsung hero and the glue that holds the defense together. Surely he is o.k. by now….we need him against Vincent when Komi isn’t matched against him. I am going to try and pay special attention to Prospal tonight as a few people have suggested him as a 2nd tier player potentially available this year.

29. PureGuava says:

Latrendesse looked lost out there. I’m just about willing to swap Smolinski for Koivu on the depth chart. Put him with SK47 and Ryder, and increase their minutes.

30. idle says:

Thats the difference between being the ‘number 1′ and being the back up. Besides, except for the 2’nd goal where I don’t know what the hell Huet was doing, you can’t fault him on the others. The whole team laid an egg at the stat of the game, it’s not fair to dump it all on Huet.

31. downeast hab says:

Another loss. Must be some hangovers from that night on the town by every player on the ice. my question is;where is the system.

32. Habhopeful says:

and thats why you’d be in the same last place as the make beliefs

33. idle says:

Before beating the Habs the Leafs beat Ottawa and afterwards they beat Detroit. There are no easy games or easy points in this league. I don’t know how many times it needs to be proven.

34. RH says:

I think Carolina is a toss up. Habs won both games in there building this season.

35. The Teacher says:

Cool story, sad to hear that you have a Domi in your building.

I actually did my Bach in English at the U of O. I am from Montreal and had family issues back home so came back and started to work. I was working last year teaching hearing impaired kids and now am looking for a permanent position as I am substituting. The beginning of the year was slow but it is really picking up now (getting called that is).

It’s sad to see that CBC is no longer showing Habs games all the time, hope it doesn’t put a dent in our fan base of the future.

I agree with you regarding Latendresse, he is clearly the beneficiary of being a coaches pet at this point.

Sorry kRob, but I’ll pass on Prospal. This guy runs so hot and cold from game to game it’s kind of like being in the shower when somebody unexpectedly flushes a toilet in the other bathroom.

The Original 24 Cups

37. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I don’t think we should lose sight on 1st place. If we play the way were supposed to, we may just find a back door into 1st, IF Ott has some hiccups and we play them 2 more times…we should be shooting for 1st, not jockeying into a spot.

Aside from Jersey, I think we’d do well against Philly and Pitts, we have their number. Carolina has ours and Ovech has ours also.

We need to avoid Ottawa and Jersey…all else is good.

but lets make the playoffs first…if we lose another 2 or three games in a row then were in big trouble.

38. showey47 says:

Do i think we are gonna win the cup? no. Are we headed in the right direction?yes. Tampa will not part with vinny, not with the sale of the team in limbo. Who in their right mind would trade him? You say trade 5 guys.

what five guys? It would have to involve price, komi, higgins just to start.Rose colored glasses? lmao Take off the blue and white ones troll

39. showey47 says:

no they are first, take a look at the standings before you start trolling. Man, are any of your FACTS ever right?

40. Shiloh says:

Grew up in a big family – lots of brothers. We all played hockey and loved it. The big deal for us was Saturday night – we got to stay up and watch HNIC. The games back then came on at 9 pm so you got to see about half of it.

We got TV when I was 7 or 8 and shortly after the Leafs had a rookie named Dick Duff who I liked. Then, a few years later, I saw Cournoyer who blew me away. When Duff joined him in Montreal that sealed the deal. I have been a Habs fan for over 45 years.

I’m smack in the middle of Leaf nation – Domi even lives in my building. It’s sad to see the Loafs reduced to this – the fans here don’t say much. In October, however, they believed they had a Cup contender.

I miss Thunder Bay – a nice city with everything one could want. Work keeps me busy – this job is quite intense. Toronto is huge but there are many times I feel kind of isolated – really miss my wife and kids and dog – and my 6-year old grandson who is also a big Habs fan. I do get home for two weekends a month and for a long stretch in the summer.

I started posting here mostly because I can’t believe that Latendresse never sits. Every game I watch – and I see most of them on RDS – he is just so out of place. If he ever is going to amount to anything he’ll need to develop his game in the minors – but I sure get slammed for saying that.

So – how did you end up teaching in Montreal? Did you take you Fac Ed at Ottawa en francais? I visit the Ottawa Fac Ed students in Ottawa as well as at their francophone satellite faculties at Glendon (York campus) and in Windsor.

41. RH says:

I guess I’m assuming that Huet is starting tonight, based on what I’ve read above. I’m looking for Huet to be sharp tonight, after that debacle in Ottawa. I’m also reasonably confident that Price will get the start in net, tomorrow night. Why bother calling him back up, if he’s not going to start? Especially with back-to-backs?

42. Shiloh says:

SK74 on a line with Dandy and Lats. In order for him to succeed he’ll have to do it all himself.

Here’s a few ideas:

1. Release Smolinski, Dandenault and Brisebois.

2. Call up some young guys

3. Send Latendresse to Hamilton – and maybe Lapierre too.

4. Get a tough guy – is Downey still available?

5. Leave the Koivu and Plekanec lines alone – go with them until the end of the year.

6. If Price isn’t going to play, recall Halak and give him a shot and let Price play every game in Hamilton.

7. Too many guys behind the bench – go with Carbo and Muller – let Jarvis watch from upstairs.

43. HNS says:

It’s nice to see that we still make the crap teams in this league look great. Great time to tank….

44. ClaytonM says:

First of all, every single pro scout would have bet the farm that their first pick, Doug Wickenheiser, was the next superstar of the NHL. He was being compared to the greats like Lafleur, Bossy and Orr. If you actually think you could do a better job running a team than Sam Pollock, you’re proving your foolishness, buddy.

Who knew that his sister would be a bigger hockey star than him?

If you want to blame Habs management, blame them for trading Chelios for Savard. If we still had Chelios then players like Komisarek and Bouillon would have had a true mentor from the day the made the team.

45. showey47 says:

the wings are number one i think we are 5th or 6th over all. The laffs picking up a couple wins against top teams is just another example of how much parity in the league, anyone can beat anyone. The better teams just win a little more ofter.

46. showey47 says:

I do think we are one player away from competing for it. Did anyone think the oilers were gonna get to the cup final 2 years ago? The playoffs are a crapshoot anyone can win

47. showey47 says:

does it matter, no that was like 27 years ago.

48. showey47 says:

I must be really getting under your skin, i love it. Now you know how the rest of the people on this site feel about you. Nice knowing ya.

49. Habsrule1 says:

You’re too hard on Breezer, my dear. Used properly, he makes no more mistakes than everyone else. Ok…not too many more.

Go Habs Go!!

Habsrule

50. The Teacher says:

Very interesting. How are you enjoying it in Toronto? It must be painful being a Habs fan in Leaf Country ;) I drove into Toronto last year the day before the final game. You better be sure I had my Habs flag flying proudly on the 401.

I was in Ottawa for two years obtaining a B.Ed and M.Ed. I did my first undergrad in Montreal.

How does one become a Habs fan in Thunder Bay? What’s your story?

51. Shiloh says:

I teach in Thunder Bay, but I’m on a leave for three years. I was elected Chair of the Ontario College of Teachers in 2006 so I’m in Toronto at the College till June ’09.

52. showey47 says:

“Think about – Do you think that makes real sense. Where would that leave us?” A last place team like the lightning.

53. mjames says:

Building a team around a superstar does not get you the cup. Here you have the Habs already going through a rebuilding period and your suggestion is say give them AK46, Higgins, Pleks, Komi and Price for Lecalvier.

Think about – Do you think that makes real sense. Where would that leave us?

mjames

54. showey47 says:

Any word if Hamrlik is in the lineup tonight?

55. showey47 says:

There is no such thing as a “should be” game, ask the detroit red wings

56. Shiloh says:

No – I’m a teacher too. Do you teach in Ontario?

The men who fell (back) to earth. Is the Habs mini tailspin a sign that their Cup drought will continue for another year? Probably, although I would see it as more of a reality check than a disappointment or failure.

I didn’t see Saturday’s rout by the Senators so I didn’t comment on it over the weekend. I would think that the team’s prime directive over these last 26 games now has to be focused on making the playoffs, not finishing first in the conference. I’m not panicking or throwing in the towel, I’m just being realistic.

The top three seeds on the East will go to division leaders. Assuming that Ottawa wins our division then the best the Habs can do is finish fourth. In a perfect world, I would rather see the team finish SIXTH so they can draw a first round opponent from the SE division. Our chances of beating Carolina, Washington, or Atlanta are a lot better than defeating Philly, Pittsburgh, or Jersey. We would also open on the road which might be beneficial as well. Finishing 7th or 8th would really put us behind the eight ball as we would face a tough opponent right off the bat.

This week’s games in Florida are cruical and I feel we need to win both of them before we face Philly on the weekend. If our cushion over 8th place gets less than 5 points, then we might find the word ‘slump’ starting to raise it’s ugly head. We don’t need that kind of added pressure after such a great start to the year.

As for our two whiskey-a-go-go boys, I don’t really see it as a big deal (possible felony charges aside). It’s small potatoes in this day and age of wife beaters, dog killers, and steroid pin cushions. If anything, the boys are guilty of childish and stupid behaviour, not criminal conduct or intent. If this situation ruins our year then we were never the team we thought we were in the first place.

The Original 24 Cups

58. The Teacher says:

No, I’m in Montreal. I did do my Education in Ontario though.

Whereabouts are you teaching?

59. PGHABS says:

brisebois has nothing to do with this effort. this is awful. i thought tampa was in last? hmmm
    the only reason we are in this game is huet has made some athletic saves, but what an awful game

60. ClaytonM says:

I replied to this point above, Showey. He thinks he’s smarter than Pollock now.

61. ClaytonM says:

You’d trade your yacht for an anchor, I bet

62. Habby67 says:

We can’t expect them to win every game but it seems that they never play with a sense of urgency ever. To lose to a last place team and to get horribly outshot in the third period is terrible. Never mind trading for Hossa, this team needs a shakeup. If they keep playing like this they will be out of a playoff spot in 2 weeks minimum….

63. habfan53 says:

Sorry I opted out But for you a free prescription
    case of 24 CANADIEN to keep the faith

64. Da Hema says:

Please….When you are outshot 36-21 by your opponents and then lose by one goal, you can hardly claim it is 100% your goaler’s fault.
    _________________________________________
    “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”
    –George Costanza, “Seinfeld”

65. Blitzen says:

The Red Wings have lost three in a row, including against the Kings and Laffs. Guess they should start trading all of their guys…

All kidding aside, we need Hamr in a big way. Are any of the D-Men in Hamilton ready for the big show?

66. usversusthem says:

Listen, I admit that Huet, had he stopped a few of those ugly goals, could have stolen the game for us tonight. He didn’t, but I can’t in good faith say that tonight was 100% or even mostly his fault. We got outshot 27-12 over the final 40 minutes of the game. You can’t expect to outscore a team when you put in that kind of effort. We played what felt like a large majority of periods 2 and 3 in our zone. I don’t see how you can accuse Huet of being at fault there… would you prefer that he clear the puck himself or something? The Habs didn;t show up as a team. Huet didn’t have a spectacular game but he can hardly be blamed for the entire loss.

67. usversusthem says:

Shit, they’re down 4-2 to Nashville in the third right now… could be four in a row.

At least the night wasn’t without its positives, though. Ottawa lost in regulation so we’re still only five back. Of course at this point passing them is starting to look like a bit of a joke…

68. Shiloh says:

Ahhh, but he’s young, so they always tell me here. To that I reply:

“How in the name of all that is sacred did we manage to draft someone who is this slow – at age 20? Why is he here if he doesn’t hit? We can see with our own eyes that he can’t pass, has no shot and generates no chances on his own. Why has he never been allowed to learn the game at a level where he might earn 20-25 minutes a night? Why does Ryder – and even AK46 earlier this year – have to sit out night after night after night while this young man dresses?”

But I have to just wait I guess until others begin to notice just how awkward and ill-placed he is out there. I’m certainly tired of commenting about it – he just keeps on keeping on.

69. usversusthem says:

Man we’ve scored six against Tampa twice this season. We have a top-notch PP, and Tampa is the worst team in the east. We should be able to give Huet four or five goals to work with against this guys easily… IF we show up to play.

70. Da Hema says:

I am not saying that Huet should be awarded the Vezina for his performance tonight, but you are over the top to blame him entirely for the loss. Every player sucked tonight.
    _________________________________________
    “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”
    –George Costanza, “Seinfeld”

71. Jonnyboy says:

I like how its TOR-MAP-LEAF, as the fans for both teams are probably the worst for bandwaggon-ness.

However I see bandwaggoners as the people that wipe the dust on of their jerseys when their team is doing well. The constant *****ing or complaining after a loss and the praises after a win on this site is not bandwagon jumping. Its something else.

72. Blitzen says:

A slump like that definitely means they’ll miss the playoffs. LOL

I say the Pleks line will be broken up next game.

I think a few other changes will be made:

Hopefully, Hamr comes back although I doubt he will. Prolly too late to bring someone from Hamilton to play tomorrow so BreezeBy will be in again.

Bégin and Kosto will be in and Smokes and Dandy will sit.

Someone said Carbo should try

Higgins – Pleks – Kovy
    The two Kosts with Koivu

I think that’s what we might see.

73. The Teacher says:

Alrighty so the Habs lost. We all knew we weren’t a contender and were more than a player away.

74. habsgod says:

twillingator your going to find this funny but i actually agree with you on this 100% huet was out of position on the goals and tonight didn’t make the big save when they were needed the most!!

75. sidhu says:

Teach, I’m late to the party – I see that the comments were closed on Boone’s blog, what happened??

76. frank81 says:

Since Buffalo beat Ottawa we’re only 5 points out of the 8th spot. And Buffalo has played one less game than us.

77. The Teacher says:

Potato-Potatoh ;)

78. nightmare_49 says:

I meant the re-hab from the injury by the way.

79. The Teacher says:

Heyy! Koivu did start the play leading to Higgins goal!

He flubbed every single pass tonight though. I’m thinking he’s injured, I mean, you don’t lose your talent that fast!

Agree with everything else you wrote. The 2nd and 3rd periods were pathetic.

Fuuny thing, but I’m not real optimistic for demain :S

80. sidhu says:

We deserved to lose that game. The third period was downright embarrassing – it seemed as if the Lighting was the team that was behind and it was a shooting gallery on Huet. Our only goals were excellent “individual-to-individual” plays – great pass by Markov and great move by Higgins, a great play into the zone by Streit and a nice one-timer by Pleks.

If there’s a silver lining in my book, it’s that Higgins broke out of his slump and that OB played a decent game despite the off-ice events and the fact that he hasn’t played in the NHL for weeks.

Another game, and another underwhelming performance by Saku “no shots tonight” Koivu.

81. Chris says:

Some bickering broke out, the moderator cleaned it up and closed the blog.

82. Xtrahabsfan says:

Agree 200% and let’s hope some form of testosterone sets in!

83. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

sure 4 yrs from now!
    but even in KOMI’s first year, his hitting game was there…not perfected but he hit almost EVERY SHIFT.

Obryne is looking like the ARM hitter type of player, where instead of packing a massive hit with the body, he tries to push/hit the player with his arms…like Breeze…man he better start watching some KOMI tapes/hits…

KOMI and BOULION hit the same

84. nightmare_49 says:

IMO – I don’t think every player sucked tonite , O’Bey played better than i expected after a long re-hab.

85. usversusthem says:

Shhh! Didn’t you hear the team memo? We’re looking at the teams in front of us, not the teams behind us!

(Thanks for that news, though. I’m definitely not going to sleep well tonight.)

86. The Teacher says:

idiot? is that the bad word?

(no, not you chris)

87. habsgod says:

for all the trouble that o’byrne was in i thought he looked really good and really poised out there tonight!!and that’s a good sign!because once we get hamrlik back we won’t see breezy-by again!!!we need another scorer real bad !come on bob go get somebody it doesn’t matter if it is hossa,prospal,cole or anybody but we need somebody and ryder needs to go!!call up chipchurra and put him in lapierre’s spot i mean come on he couldn’t have more stone hands!make lapierre the 4th line center between kostopolous and begin because depending on lapierre to scores us some goals playing with latendresse and s.kostitsyn is like asking brisebois to help us on defence and that ain’t gonna happen!that’s how useless lapierre is to us as the 3rd line center!if i were s.kostitsyn i’d sue for support because let’s face it lapierre and latendresse make him feel alone out there!huet has to do a better job of stopping the puck!!maybe he is starting to feel fatigued out there and is burning out!!let’s face it he’s never played more than 42 games in a season and this was is 38th game!if he gets a freeagent offer of 4-5 million i’d say good bye to him in the off season!

88. big_daddy says:

Well thank God we have you Mr self professed Habs professor!!! Did you ever wonder that if Gainey and Carbs were to yo-yo players in and out of the line up at your whim, that maybe the players might loose their self confidence? OK… so the Habs have been stinking it up lately, whatever, did you really think that they were going to win every game? Give them a chance, they have gotten us this far, haven’t they? It just blows my mind that people think that they have better judgment than the Habs management. Really dude, what are your credentials? If you are such a pro why don’t you submit an application to George Gillette, I hear that they are always looking for good people, LMAO, stop pretending to know everything, and, ENJOY THE GAME,

big_daddy

ps don’t make your wife cry during the hockey game, that mental image is just ruining the it for everybody!!!

89. sidhu says:

I agree we need to bulk up. Bob Gainey, please take a look at Gratton and Hunter before the trade deadline.

90. The Teacher says:

We HOPE we don’t see Brisebois again. I remember one shift the puck was behind our net, and instead of turning to go get it he decided to back into the boards while looking at the TB player. He’s obviously scared of getting hit.

91. sidhu says:

True, there could be something going on with Captain K that we’ll learn about when the season is over.

92. HabsInsideOut says:

Just cut it out, would you? No name-calling, no name-calling-but-only-because-they-called-you-a-name-first, no clever-name-calling by not actually saying the name of the user you’re referring to, no taunting each other, etc.

93. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

I’m talking about internal movements within the organization…I’m not dreaming up some trade. You’d have to look pretty hard to find someone on this site or a hab fan anywhere that wouldn’t agree with some of the changes I suggested.

82 games is a long haul buddy…and the veterans who have been there before sometimes just vanish down the stretch…but if you give a rookie a chance, thats NEW ENERGY…

AND GUESS WHAT?

CHIP just might play better than SMOKE…ANYONE DISAGREE?

VALENTENKO just might play better than BREEZE..ANYONE DISAGREE?

if there is ONE advantage we fans have is that we are OUTSIDE of the organization…we can make UNBIASED decisions, we are not TIED to an agent or a trade or a contract or a marketing gimmic.

We can tell it like it is…

Credentials? NOT NECCESSARY…this site is for ALL Hab Fans to post there opinions…my opinion is just that, an opinion.

Why don’t you try and offer one…heck it might be a brilliant idea!!!

its a lot more fun than just bashing others…

94. HabsInsideOut says:

I.e., leave each other alone. It’s boring and annoying for everyone else.

95. The Teacher says:

Haha! funny post ;)

Too bad you didn’t get the first offending post before I read it though. (I mean that with utmost sincerity).

Good job tonight, exactly what is needed.

BTW the post after this is preaching to the choir

96. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

exactly why he should be out of the lineup.

97. The Teacher says:

Gotta love watching Ducks games. I got my fight fix! since the Habs aren’t showing any at this point.

98. showey47 says:

no kidding, sitting down obyrne for breezer would be absolutly ridiculous. I remembers komi’s first season as a hab and i feel obyrne is already well ahead of what komi was at that time. I just hope obyrne isn’t one of the players waddell was scouting tonight. We need the hamr tonight back now.

99. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

PLEASE DELETE

100. showey47 says:

komi was no where near the force he is now in his first season, thats the point i’m saying. You don’t think obyrne is gonna be a punishing dman in 4 years? It will probably be sooner.

101. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

you can’t be that impressed with Obryne, he is hardly throwing his weight around, he is nowhere near KOMI’s level…and whats that BS with KOMI throwing that great hit then being mugged by ROY and the other tampa goons, oh I guess its ok in CARBS books because the ref gave them penalties!

unfortunately we are going to be hiding behind the refs alot…but come playoffs, the refs let it go….goodbye habs with no policing.

don’t ge me wrong, I don’t expect KOMI to drop the gloves on that play…but someone should later in the game at ROY.

102. nightmare_49 says:

sidhu – I was also happy with O’Bey’s play so i can take something from this game as a positive and Higgy scored but after the 1st period he started playing like he was the only player on his line again and i hope he realizes that he is not a skilled elite player yet and may never be and should stick with the basics which got him there and also have no comment after the game cuz i don’t think he’s acheived that distinction yet even though he has an “A” which was given and not voted on by the players. I’d rather see the Cube have the “A” cuz he backs up his teammates and has seniority.

103. ebk says:

nightmare

I really like Frankie the Bull, maybe making him an Assistant Captain is not such a bad idea. The Cube as a nickname does not do justice to how tough that little man is.

104. The Teacher says:

You have to understand that OB is a rookie. He’s not fully adjusted to the speed of the pro game yet. He is not “afraid” to throw his weight around as we have seen on ocassion, but I’m sure he doesn’t want to go for a big hit and leave his team in a undermanned situation. The experience of knowing when it is ok to throw the hit will come and we’ll start seeing it gradually more often.

Patience, my fellow hab fan, Gainey is building us, but changes don’t happen overnight. Higgy, Plekster and Komi were our first crop, AKost, Lats and Lappy were our second crop. Our third crop is SKost, OB, Chipper, and Price (all who have played well IMO), and we have a third and fourth crop coming with Yemelin, Valentenko, McDonaugh, Weber, and Paxioretty. It is quite obvious where our depth is going to e, so Gainey knows his RFA and UFA will have to go mostly to forwards now. He tried to do this last year, we got shafted. This year might be different, we know other teams think of us as a fast and good passing team and if we make the playoffs it will help us. IMO we need a #3 or #4 defenceman, the cap dollars we will save from Bouillon and Dandenault (after trade of course, we need to make room although it will pain me to lose Booly)+ Brisebois will allow us to make a definite offer (hopefully to Campbell).

We then have to sign our RFA and a few pieces to fill out our team, including a definite 1st or 2nd line forward.

105. nightmare_49 says:

Hab Prof – O’Bey played tonight better than Komi played in any of his games in his first 2 years , Komi was useless with the puck , they are both big but Komi’s like a middle linebacker and O’Bey’s plays the outside linebacker’s spot for now but when he has the number of games Komi has in the NHL he’ll keep you happy with his hits as the broadcasters of the Hamilton Bulldogs will attest.

106. joe-hab-nuno says:

Is it a coincidence that Huet started letting in more goals when Price Came back……….the same time Rollie Malanson came back to the team again.

107. nightmare_49 says:

Well i guess were not allowed (blocked) to post on Mike Boone’s thread this morning cuz of a silly disagreement between two posters that i only caught a bit of but i’m sure tomorrow things will be alright and everything will be the same and the two posters can continue to post and drop hints of their vital importance to our wonderful world.

108. The Teacher says:

Maybe it’s all part of their master plan. Think about it this way. They slumped in December last year. This year it is two months later in February. So if we continue the trend next year it will be April, we will get swept in the 2nd round. The year after they will slump in June,hopefully only after we in and when they are playing golf, so expect something else a la Carbo in 93(4 ?)

The good thing is #1 at least there is a trend towards a Cup. #2 they have time to revamp their golf swings before the summer of ’10 to try and avoid the slump.

109. Mr.Hazard says:

Give’em a break. After another loss or two, then you can start worrying. And it is weird that Huet started playing worse once Price was called up. It’s like it makes him insecure or something.

Ex nihilo nihil fit

110. nightmare_49 says:

I hope it’s not like the Theodore/Hackett scenario but i doubt it. Hackett is now Theo’s goalie coach , enough said.

111. nightmare_49 says:

ALERT BOB – 12 DAYS and 13 Hours to the trade deadline and i hope you got over that big trade of Frances L. (what’s his name) in Hamilton and are still pro-active (sarcasm). Regardless you know your “D” is soft at the bottom end and now you surely realize that the center position is becoming a problem and thank god for Pleks. I hope this slump doesn’t affect your spin that you have scripted to use at the deadline as you proved at the only press conference that you control the press and you might have to keep them happy with a few minor deals which IMO are essential.

112. CHsam says:

Yeah i’m thinking the same. Something is up, and I don’t think its just a normal slump. Its as though mentally or physically something has happened.

113. idle says:

Timo I hope you know you have absolutely zero right to ever cheer or be happy if the Habs win a cup. You are perhaps the worst fan I have ever encountered. You call yourself a fan but ALL you ever do is dump on this team. You are simply not a fan of this team. Simple as that.

114. idle says:

And what the hell did you find so wrong with his game this time??

115. Richard B says:

Bring back the hammer

And where has Koivu gone?
    he is not only useless when out with Higgins and Ryder, but he has been equally useless when playing with Kovalev and either or both of the K brothers.

He appears to be working hard, but has lost his nose for the net.
    Y can’t this team get two lines going at once.

116. G-Man says:

Yes, but how do you feel?

Gilbert

117. G-Man says:

All I can say about last night’s game is… have another beer, you guys!
    It’s one of the few times this season the Habs have looked this slow and uninvolved. Losing 4 of 5 with Breezer and Smoke in the line up just increases the noise for them to be benched, and deservedly so. Looks like their careers are over. Smoke had 2 chances that I saw in the 3rd period, both times shooting the puck a mile wide only to clear Tampa’s zone. Sad, really, how Ryder does the same trying to pick corners. Hit the goalie, you idiots, and get a rebound. I’m really tired of seeing pros miss the net as often as these guys do. More fun in the sun tonight. Stay tuned.

Gilbert

118. G-Man says:

Huet was overplayed in that last stretch, playing something like 14 in a row. He simply can’t. Doesn’t have the stamina for it. He’s back to allowing softies.

Gilbert

119. Blitzen says:

I used to spend an awful lot of time at Fantasy Football Today until slapfight artists like those you saw yesterday took it over. The moderator has pretty much let it go and it’s become totally ridiculous. Please conduct slapfights by email. We don’t want to read about them here. I hope the moderators here continue to crack down.

120. earl says:

Everyone needs to take a look at the third goal again in slow motion.

Huet had it played well, but Plekanec redirected it between Huet’s legs. You can actually see Plekanecs stick turn in his hands from the impact with the puck.

One week goal by the netminder tonight but he more than made up for it in the third.

There was talk that Carbo was critical of Huet in the post game. i think he better look at the replays again. otherwise Carbo will be not long for this coaching world.
    There are a lot of good cliche’s about goaltenders being a coaches best friend.

One thing that still aggravates me about Carbonneau is the constant smirking and glaring. How do you expect your team to settle down and get ready for the next sequence of plays if as a coach you’re still dwelling on the last one.
    i loved this guy as a player but some things still irk me about him as a coach.

121. yehaken says:

Halak please.

122. mjames says:

I lost you on that one. can you elaborate

mjames

123. wild flower says:

Bob Hartley tells us teams don’t play well after rookie dinners – so no surprise. Timing is everything. This should look to improved management of our assets (more
    Ryder, more Halak, and most importantly, less Brisbois).

When Tampa gets reasonable goaltending they can be a very capable team. Why else would you want to trade any five Habs for on Lightening bolt?

Detroit and Ottawa also lost. Are they contenders. Detroit is in a losing streak. Should they trade five Redwings for VK?

Already missing one top 5 D, are you saying Komisarek was scared to fight (I say too intelligent).

124. Shobud says:

I guess Detroit is not a cup contender then..They lost three in a row, all of them to teams below them.. Thats why tampa bay is so far ahead of everyone..They have Lecavlier and he can do it all by himself.. I will agree with you on some things like Komi..He seems to back dowm from everyone now and other teams are picking up on it.. Even Kovi is sticking up for himself. I think it does show fans that our super goaltending is from super

125. Habhopeful says:

HINT: Cup contenders don’t lose like this (dominated by a team that is way down in the standings)! I doubt this Habs team is a play-off contender let alone a cup contender?

how about detroit losing to Toronto, L.A, Nashville, Plus Anahiem but granted they are a good team…Under your circumstances Detroit is not a playoff contender, you can’t have it both ways…

126. nightmare_49 says:

Your the first but not the last to crap on Smols and Breezer as we fight yet another snow storm for the weekday morning rush. Those two didn’t play well but they had a lot of company but one other thing that i noticed was when the opposition start laying on the body with hits we sort of fold which isn’t a good sign if we make the playoffs. This has to be addressed more so than the play of those players.

127. Habhopeful says:

Briebois was even 0 dude, dont blame it on one player, it was the whole team…geeze

128. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

NIGHTMARE-TEACHER-SHOWEY
    you’ve all made valid points on the anticipated progression of Obrynes game and I’ll agree with that. Its true that not all rookies can make an impact since even Lafleur was sluggish his first 2 years.

maybe he is holding back..I can see that and I hope your right…because he has the look about him to be a FEARED D-MAN.

Just what we need.

129. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Good post…to the point.
    Breeze plays like a scared wet noodle.

man at that age having a 2nd CHANCE with LES HABS, I’d be sacrificing myself like TUCKER and GILMOUR used to do…just to be there.

to me it looks like he’s riding out his contract for hopes of a re-sign next year!…by trying very hard to not get hurt!

130. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

those hits are wearing down our talent players because we cannot counter those hits with our 3rd and 4th lines…BIG PROBLEM.

I can’t even remember the last time I saw BEGIN or KOSTOP throw a hit!!!!

But I can vividly remember Kovalev throwing many hits…

WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CARB!!!!!!!!

131. nightmare_49 says:

Elaborate – Go to Boone’s thread “A first , against the last” and try to post and most of the disagreement has been deleted or will be and i won’t mention names , wonder why , but i wouldn’t think their proud of themselves. One’s a realitively new blogger (few monthes) and an agitator and the other lets you know he went to Columbia, lol , that’s all i can elaborate.

132. von says:

Wow, Tampa was begging to be beat and we showed up for 1 period.

Huet, another terrible start. Brutal on the first goal, but after that he settled down. Kept us in it at the end. Price has got to start tomorrow night.

What is it going to take for Latendresse to be benched/sent down? This is a joke. Ryder gets scratched for multiple games, and this stiff hasn’t scored in 14 games, can barely skate, and doesn’t even hit anymore. That kid line isn’t doing ANYTHING.

133. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

THERE ARE ONLY TWO MEN ON THIS TEAM THAT PLAY LIKE MEN:
    KOVALEV and KOMI…

oh brother are we a WEAK team…

I’ve said it before MANY times and now again I’m going to become a BROKEN RECORD BECAUSE IT MUST BE SAID…WE NEED POWER.

WE NEED HITTERS.

DID YOU SEE KOVALEVS FACE? all battered and bruised, my wife was almost in tears…”what happened to him, why is his face all swollen”……WHAT A DISGRACE THAT A PLAYER OF THAT CALIBER HAS TO ROUGH IT UP EVERY SINGLE GAME…that alone will force him to leave the Habs… Wake up Gainey.

Have to give MASSIVE CREDIT to LACAV…man that guy has class and respect, when he saw it was Kovalev he pulled his arm back..thats old time Hockey…thats mutual Respect. Kovy has made it known that he will not tolerate cheap shots, and he caught a bit of an elbow from lacav so he went after him with a his vicious patented elbow to the head….

the rest is history…lets hope our season hasn’t started down that road…

what needs to change?
    1.Lines more consistent.
    2.BREEZE OUT IMMEDIATELY… VALENTENKO IN
    3.SMOKE out IMMEDIATELY… CHIP IN
    4.LATRON to the hotdog stand… FERLAND IN
    5.HUET to rest… PRICE in.

just these simple moves will have an IMMEDIATE POSITIVE EFFECT.

DO IT CARB.

134. usversusthem says:

As much as none of the goals were really… great shots, Huet was really strong in the third period. Tampa had a ton of good chances and he kept the score tied for the first half of the period, which was more than I was expecting, given how we couldn’t get the puck out of our zone. I’d say the blame for tonight is more with the team than Huet. We were outplayed, plain and simple.

We played decent hockey for about ten minutes and then basically handed the contest to Tampa. To be honest, we were fortunate to stay in the game as long as we did. We were totally outplayed in almost every facet of the game.

It’s now life or death in Florida – those two points will be crucial. Price gets the start and TTB is put back in the lineup. If Hamrlik still isn’t well enough then he should rest three more days and play on the weekend against Philly.

Steady as she goes even though we are entering stormy seas.

The Original 24 Cups

136. habfan53 says:

Hi my name is Mike and I am an orthopedist. I have a special rate for all habfans with broken ankles due to jumping on and off bandwagons.
    For FAST releif please call

867-627-5323 TOR-MAP-LEAF

137. The Teacher says:

Thank you, Mr. Moderator. This is the perfect way to get rid of the feudal posts.

Is it covered under OHIP?!

The Original 24 Cups

139. Exit716 says:

Poor Kostitsyn having to play with those two stiffs. I thought I saw a kid in rubber boots catch latendresse on the back check. Wow, to call him slow is unfair to the word…
    Shouldn’t he be more of a Holmstrom type…Work the corners get the pucks and stand in front of the net and use his good hands to pop in the garbage goals?
    He’d have a hard time looking quick in a 40 and over beer league.

140. Spartan117 says:

sad thing is u couldnt be more right. Habs are fine, everyteam has slumps…look at ottawa, we’ll be back on track soon enough, then everyone will be saying “Huet is amazing” you watch

141. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

fair enough…so instead of just bashing BREEZE or anyone, you have to first point out why and second suggest a replacement or solution!…if they are doing that then you can’t complain.

but doing that may require some thinking before you post!

and this is also an outlet for emotions…and we know how emotional some fans can get…rage!

142. idle says:

Count me in for that. Some solutions would be nice. Like I said on another thread about the constant ‘we need someone better then Breezer’ posts. Ever team has players that are not as good as others, that is why we have 5 million dollar players and we have 1 million dollar players. It’s very easy to see who are the weaker players on a team but that does not mean you can do much about it. You are limited to your roster unless as I suggested before you think that Gainey can just squat and shit out some new players.

143. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

But at this point you have to agree that DANDY on D is better than BREEZE
    and that would open up a 4th line spot for a Dog!

and what about bringing Valentenko for Breeze…so there are MANY solutions that don’t require defecation from GAINEY!

problem is politics and contracts, they’ve committed to those players (smoke/Breeze etc) and they don’t want to answer to having millions working the hotdog stand while bringing up $65,000 Dog players…

so we suffer….knowing there is better, but not being tried.

144. idle says:

I’m not the right guy to talk contracts with but I would assume that there are directional clauses in play here. Do we know whether Breeze can be sent down or not? Do we know if there are any issues in bringing up Valentenko, like for example if we bring him up can we send him down again without having to clear waivers or does he have a contract that would increase his salary (and our cap hit) if he is brought up. There is a lot at play other then just ‘why don’t we sit this guy and try that guy’

I think Dandy has played decent as a forward this year so I’m not in favor of putting him back on D.

145. idle says:

Well you will be happy to know then that my post was not directed at you :)

“I want to read what other people thought WENT WRONG”

So do I. I would never find fault with someone posting what they though whet wrong. But constant posts about Carbo being an idiot, Huet being a choke, Lats being Gaineys pet and Carbo’s pet, the team being an embarrassment or hoping that someone takes a slapshot at Brisebois angle and knocks him out of the game is hardly someones opinion on what went wrong. Nor is 20 posts per thread from the same people about the same thing (Breezer sucks, Smokes sucks, Carbo is an idiot etc).

If all you do is come on here and post the same negative crap over and over again you ought not to be surprised to get a few negative responses.

146. Chris says:

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve been maintaining all season long that we are a good team, that I’m pleasantly surprised by how quickly some of our young talent were developing, but that we would ultimately get spanked by the elite teams like the Sens, Red Wings, and Ducks. This losing streak has not changed that opinion at all…I’m just happy that with the hype about us contending for first dying down now, it is unlikely that we will see any major deadline deals for an ultimately futile run at the Stanley Cup this season. The future remains bright, and I’m enjoying the heck out of this season.

147. Ed says:

It is petty. How much do you want to bet that Brisebois will not be in the lineup? I think he will, with Streit moving up front, and some forward, possibly Ryder, sitting out again.

148. CaptainKomisarek says:

Sorry.
    It was a typo. I obviously meant to put O’byrne in and Brisebois out.

149. Mike says:

Haha he meant replace obyrne who wasnt playing with brisbois who was. (OB in brisnois out)

150. Ed says:

It’s quite clear what he meant. O’Byrne was not in the lineup to be replaced.

151. T-roy West says:

You never know with some of the wack jobs on this site this year! I don’t try and guess what someone is saying or means. I just read what it say’s. Replace O’byrne with Brisebois. It’s up to the poster to make it clear. Anyways, petty!

152. POPS says:

Tampa juggled lines all night long my friend. I agree that Huet needs to be moved and the job should be given to Price. However, I don’t think Carbo juggles enough! Plekanec, Kostitsyn, and Kovalev line is going, but with only one line we are easy to control so he has to mix it up or double shift Kovalev every once in a while to give the opposition a different look. I would like to see Higgins/Plekanec/Kostitsyn—-Kovalev/Koivu/Ryder—-S.Kostitsyn/Smolinski/Streit—-Begin/Lapierre/Latendresse
    I also believe that we need some big time help in the faceoff circle and the guy I like is Bobby Holik!!

153. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

now we know why OBRYNE was called up…just to help with the bill…

154. wd40 says:

i think it’s based on how silly your icon is.

155. rogus says:

Okay…everyone…on 3…CHIP-CHU-RA,CHIP-CHU-RA, CHIP-CHU…oh why bother. They would just put him in the press box like Dandy/Kosto.

And furthermore, Smolinski=lost games. He must be on crack, playing HORRIBLE and always grinning???

Carbo, see what happens when we sit our grit? Ask Kovy how much fun he had last night, but don’t expect an answer, he probably can’t talk very well right now. For once and for all start sitting the pylons and play the ones with heart!

156. Oleg Petrov says:

I have to question the decision to schedule the rookie dinner on the florida trip – the Habs traditionally don’t play well in Florida and this is the time to schedule a party paid for by the rookies? why can’t they do it earlier in the year, maybe just before the all-star break as opposed to giving away 2 points? The habs were totally dominated last night and you have to think the rookie party played a role in the players performance. The vets on the team need to be smarter than that.

157. Praj12 says:

The habs have to pick a tempo, and play that tempo for the rest of the season. There were plenty of momnents where the habs players were just standing around on the ice. This is pro hockey not peewee. Lets get going goddamn it!!

158. Habs_008 says:

Tampa should have smoked us last nite. If we were playing one of the Top teams it wouldnt have been close. Out played in every aspect of the game after the first period. Cant blame Huet, I wont even put any blame on the Breezer, the whole team played bad. Lets see what they do against Flordia.

159. Jonnyboy says:

I agree, but I would like it if the goon can do something hockey wise. Its a tough balance.

160. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

If we are not going to address the fact that our TALENT players are being targeted, THEN WE ARE FOOLS…CARB IS A FOOL.

LOOK AT KOVYS FACE, all battered swollen and bruised….
    THAT IS OUR FACE, that explains our shortfall this season…

IS SUNDINE FACE LIKE THAT?
    IS ALFREDSON’S FACE LIKE THAT?
    IS SPEZZA’S FACE LIKE THAT?
    IS RICHARDS FACE LIKE THAT?
    IS HEATLEYS FACE LIKE THAT?

should I keep going?…the list will be a mile long…

WHERE THE HECK IS OUR POWER PLAYERS TO PROTECT THE SKILLED TALENT?

WHY ARE WE FOOLING OURSELVES?..WAKE UP! THESE PLAYERS CANNOT FIGHT FOR THEIR LIVES….THEY WILL GO INTO A SHELL…ITS NOT THEIR ROLE….AND WHEN THEY DO WE ARE DONE.

so….what needs to change?

1.WE NEED POWER TO PROTECT OUR SKILL..TRADE FOR IT TODAY BG
    2.BREEZE OUT IMMEDIATELY… VALENTENKO IN
    3.SMOKE out IMMEDIATELY… CHIP IN
    4.LATRON to the hotdog stand… FERLAND IN
    5.HUET to rest… PRICE in.

just these simple moves will have an IMMEDIATE POSITIVE EFFECT.

DO IT CARB.

1. WE NEED POWER TO DEFEND OUR TALENT

161. Xtrahabsfan says:

You absolutely rite!This team is way to soft!

162. RiverviewCanadien says:

Will you give up the Huet bashing already!!!! Move on!!!!

163. Vecs says:

I have no idea where you got those stats

164. RiverviewCanadien says:

exactly…good point saku11

165. idle says:

Good point. I said it before, around here it’s not good enough for the team to win, they have to win pretty.

166. Guy21 says:

Komi did exactly the right thing-by Not fighting anyone.Can you imagine if we lost him with a broken thumb or worse.Look at the time played by Roy the goon-less than 2 min for the game.The only thing he does is fight and he apparently fights with the coach.Benched for 3 games prior to last night.We do not have a heavyweight fighter and no one should be fighting a goon-like Roy or any other teams goons.Bob apparently does not want one on the Habs and we have to live with that.Lack of passion and effort is very troubling and I’m not sure what is the problem but it better get fixed fast.
    One thing I agree with is that Sergei needs to be on a line with more ice time and Max seems to have lost the spark he had earlier.

GO HABS GO

167. Shobud says:

You know its the same story as the school bully.. He will pick on you everyday till you step up and kice the hell out of him.. Then he does not come back for more.. If you keep taking it , it will be around to every team you have no guts.. Even Koivu won’t take it and he is not a very big guy

168. rogus says:

The closest thing we have to a fighter was sitting in the press box while liberties were taken all over the ice. Bet he plays tonight…

169. CaptainKomisarek says:

It’s time to cash in on some easy points against Tampa and catch up to Ottawa. Get all 4 lines going, especially the checking line.

Keys to the game:
    -Keep Ryder on a top line. He was one of few players who showed some emotion against the Sens last game.
    -Solid defensive game with Komisarek playing with Markov
    -Replace O’Byrne with Brisebois. There’s no easier team than the Bolts in order to get a few more game under your belt
    -Shut down the top 3 players(Richards, Lecavalier, St-Louis)..because other than them, they don’t have anyone other…maybe Prospal also.
    -Make sure Huet makes the first saves to get his confidence back
    -Keep the Bolts on their heels with some good pressure and hits

170. Shiloh says:

Did you mean replace Brisebois with O’Byrne?

171. T-roy West says:

Are you for real? Why would you replace O’Bryne with Brisebois. Brisebois sucks!

172. jjonahjameson says:

and how exactly do you make sure huet makes the first save….magic formula perhaps.

173. calvee123 says:

Well, if I go to work hung over, I can’t say my performance is anything but poor. Same for those guys staying out late… What do you expect? Keep them off the sauce past midnight and they may stand a chance…..

174. idle says:

Wow, those 2 sure cleaned themselves up from last night.

175. Corio says:

Wow are the Habs sucking lately! Not sure what is going on but it ain’t good..

176. Habhopeful says:

Is this Leafs Inside Out????

177. showey47 says:

i hope thats what he meant.

178. yukonhab says:

I’d be in favor of playing Price. Give him the next(Tampa) and Huet Florida.

I agree with the chance to gain some ground is now, however Ottawa has pulled off a good trade and in return got some insurance for the stretch.
    Interesting times for the Habs over the next 2 weeks based on performance and ability to get the job done. I think we are a team in training and getting better each game. We could be just a Stoll away and were in!

and once you’re in it’s anybody game…

GO HABS GO!!

179. Pat8987 says:

Wow do we miss Hammer, makes us appreciate him being on the team get well soon…. You think we need some solid depth on D? Noticed I said “solid” not “breezer”. The Canadiens are 3 players away from being a contender, 2 Forwards (1 fighter) and a SOLID 4th or 5th defense…..But is this the year they really want to go for it?

180. jjonahjameson says:

the other veterans should have went to the station to explain situation….bush league

181. showey47 says:

so they could get arrested to like t.k. did?

182. jjonahjameson says:

183. mbplekfan says:

The USA is not Canada, these guys are elected to lock up criminals.

The courts will decide guilt or innocence, the cops dont care.

The Sheriff got his arrests in and thats all he cares about.

Good team building story getting built up here.

184. Peter Young says:

And then they would have been arrested for resisting an officer nonviolently–which as far as I can make out means making things inconvenient for the police. It’s one of those charges the police use anytime they’re annoyed by someone getting in their way of doing what they want to do. I know; I’ve been a criminal defense lawyer for going on 40 years.

185. jjonahjameson says:

the would not arrest whole team….not if veterans explained themselves

186. showey47 says:

t.k. tried that and it didn’t quite work out for him, anyway its game day time to move on. Time to get refocused and get 4 points.

187. jjonahjameson says:

if they don’t make a move there is a 50-50 chance they will do no better then 8’th in the standings…at best

they are in over there heads right now and need help

188. sadave says:

No explaining down here — cops have / use tasers — and you talk, or rather slobber, to the judge later.

189. coutNY says:

So are most the teams in the East. Phili is experiencing the same difficulties but even worse…. and they’ve dropped from 1st to third in their division and 2nd to 6th in the East going 4-6-0 record in their last 10 games. Teams go through difficult times throughout the season. What’s your point.

Pittsburg is threating Sens lead only 3 points behind yet 9pts out of a play off spot.

BTW we are 7 pts out of a playoff spot 6 points would make us tied with the Bruins and we have 1 more win than they do making us the 8th spot.

190. Hoegarden says:

Markov losing the puck to Vinny for the Prospal goal was the back breaker last night. Prospal had an easy goal, no one around to take him.

Vinny taking a cheap shot at Kovy was yet another clear message that this is part two of the season. Kovy’s face looks like a road map. It does not look good even when we take a three goal lead. The Habs are getting pushed around and lightweights such as SK74 have to fend for themselves.

For those who point fingers at Huet, may be TSN or Sportsnet should show highlights of “soft” goals instead of miraculous saves. Osgood is not exacly stellar lately, nor is Hasek. Emery looks very average (Sens are definitely not going anywhere without a real #1 goalie) and both are supposed to be Cup contenders.

Like I said the other day, instead of dreaming of 1st place, we should be very happy with a finish in the top 4 for home-ice advantage but if this continues (2 or 3 losses in a row) we’re down to 7th, 8th or even out of the race.

Let’s pray that Hammer is on the roster tonight and call back Chips to replace Smolinski (absolutely useless). Swallow it Bob, you made a horrile mistake with this guy, 2 million down the drain.

191. Jonnyboy says:

Trade for Gratton.

192. sag says:

So far the majority of posts are from the editing police. Hopefully the team is more excited about the game than the posters! I think the boys are going to have another successful florida road trip….nothing like the fuzz to get a bunch of guys riled up.

Anyone else a little green about Ottawa’s move. Did we have a chance to get those guys or is Murray sleeping with Rutherford’s wife????

193. jjonahjameson says:

good gm’s make gutsy moves…others sleep in the day

194. jew4jah says:

mike commodore 6’5″ mean, aggressive, physical player. 10th in the league in hits last year (214) +/- of zero last year and currently +2.

i think he’d fit in nicely on the mtl blue line. ottawa is only renting him, he’s UFA next year. maybe we can sign him in the off season? i don’t know what kind of money he’ll sign for but i’m sure it’s more than the 1.2 million/year he gets now.

i don’t think BG is gonna make any moves before the deadline.

195. G-Man says:

Geez, guys, it’s Commodore and Stillman, not Messier and Bourque.

Gilbert

196. The Teacher says:

Hmm, interesting look at it CoutNY. The standing today show that Pittsburgh IS 3 points behind the Sens, but 7 points out of a playoff spot. Ottawa is 10 points up.

I look at it this way, let me know what you think.

Since the team in 9th (i.e. Boston) has to make up the point differential by WINNING games, while the team ahead of them (i.e. Montreal) in the standings has to NOT win. This will enable the team in 9th to make the playoffs even IF they do tie. I assume we are 6 points behind. We have 67 points as opposed to the Bruins 61. Boston has one less win even though they are six points behind. They also have a game in hand.

The loser point for tying after regulation and the shootout makes everything very complicated though.

197. jjonahjameson says:

bush league just the same….don’t expext any nhl money to go there in the future…they can pay their elected officials with oranges i guess

198. joe-hab-nuno says:

first time I see a team try to protect a 2-2 tie with 15 min left in the 3rd period.
    So much for trtying to play a hard 60 min.
    why don’t they use the same lineup they had when Begin, smolinski and Breezer out with injuries, when they where actually exciting to watch. We’re not going to go far when we can’t even beat 2 of the worst teams in the league. WOW

199. The Teacher says:

Funny, every single clip that TSN has shown of Mike Commodore (5) has shown him clobbering a Canadiens player. Guess TSN is back to their old tricks.

200. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

well they did beat the #1,2 & 3 teams in their last 3 games!
    so all is well in laff land.

but that is really how we want it, a false sense of security….because when they talk about bringing up youth and trading dead weight, kubina, tucker, mccabe, or trading sundin for pics or prospects THATS what gets me worried, because those things will make the leafs better and we don’t need that.

we are already supersaturated with their media propaganda that we’d really be in hell if they turned out to be a contender (Detroit level)…I’d have to move to quebec.

I really thought TSN had turned a corner, but as you know, market talks and with the laffs winning, they again become the Toronto sports network.

201. MNaslund26 says:

the problem with the habs is that they are inconsistent in effort and ability. while they are certainly not the predicted 14th place team that many had predicted, they are also not a first class team capable of winning the division and the conference. i think the habs will have a tough time squeezing into the playoffs this year. my prediction is that they will make 7th or 8th in just as tight a race as last year. no more illusions people, ottawa is worlds ahead of us.

202. RH says:

That makes a hell of a lot of sense to me. Seems that most, if not all, of us got caught up with the whole, 1 point out of first place hoopla. I think this losing streak will serve to remind us that the Habs, because of all the parity, have just as good a shot at the playoffs than every other team in the conference, but are still not as good as Ottawa. Or, the top teams in the league.

203. sag says:

Bob is cautious after 17 rye and gingers. I would love to read that we pulled the trigger on a quality/character move like the *&^%’g sens just pulled off. Funny, not a word on spectors or other rumour sites about that one….you never hear about the ones that happen (read kiss goodbye to “Bob is in FLA to see Jokanen”)

204. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

if he doesn’t make a move its because of LONG TERM THINKING.
    he knows whats coming down the pipe (dogs)…and he wants the cup for our anniversary year…the cap is rising another 3mil and he’ll have more space when he dumps the dead weight at end of season….

so don’t worry if we don’t pick up a MAJOR player.

In fact accept it now!…then you won’t be disappointed at the end of the month.

205. planet habs says:

HUET MUST BE TRADED IMMEDIATELY! HABS WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS WITH HUET!! He’s this year’s version of Aebischer!!!!!!!!!!

206. The Teacher says:

Nobody is this year’s version of Abby, nobody resembles a fish on ice like he did.

207. carmine007 says:

Planet Hab, I could’nt disagree with you more. Aebischer was a total piece of sh*** from the word go. Huet is having a few bad games and since they are happening during the playoff push it seems to magnify itself.

If Price was playing up to his potential then I would say pull the trigger and trade Huet. However Price is not ready for prime time Therefore, unless we can get a young primetime center or winger trading Huet would be disasterous. Even with tonights loss we are still in good shape. We need a win in Florida to get us out of this 3 game funk! We’ve got the Flyers back to back after that.

Keep the faith!

It’s NEVER over til it’s OVER!

208. PGHABS says:

bag skate them. dominated by the lightning, hammered by the senators, and worst of all heinous crimes, they lost to the leafs.

_______________________________________
    Please no, not the annual crash.

209. planet habs says:

and we’ll lose tomorrow too, because Florida is a MUCH BETTER team than TB.

210. frank81 says:

And then we can look forward to a home-and-home with Philly. Yikes.

211. idle says:

Perhaps someone can explain to me why it is perfectly fine for some posters on this site to come here and continuously trash this team and it’s players but if in response others have some harsh words for those posters they are removed. I can understand if you don’t want this site to be full of mean spirited posts but you can’t allow some of the posts to be spiteful and not the others. When we have posters on here who do nothing but spew venom at players and coaches no matter what happens and do nothing but bring negative garbage to the site then those people are clearly looking to get noticed and we should not be so surprised when they do get noticed.

I find it odd that the same group of people who always cry for someone on the Habs to stand up and fight for their teammates when they are mishandled (and lets not be coy about it, we are talking about standing up in a violent way) are the same group of people who can’t handle a few insults when they also mistreat this team and it’s players.

I would tell those people to grow up but it is clear from their posts that that is not bound to happen.

212. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

Why is it that some posters come on here only to trash other posters comments?….and add no opinion to the conversation…

I’ve never trashed a fellow HAB poster.

My comments are on what I see during the game….isn’t that what the site is for?…what do you expect when we lose to the last place team? something went WRONG!!! don’t you get it?

try IN YOUR OPINION to say what went wrong….

we all know its only ONE game and they are CONTENDING for next year and the team is YOUNG etc etc etc…but using that rationale we may as well just all come back next year then…don’t bother commenting today.

something went wrong last night and the few previous games…I want to read what other people think WENT WRONG.

When we WIN…I WANT TO READ WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK WAS GREAT!

I don’t like reading a poster bashing a poster.

Simple

213. nightmare_49 says:

Good post. I wouldn’t dare trash it.lol.

214. The Teacher says:

He is slooooowwwww. But I know what you mean. Let’s see if O’Byrne gives us some of what we’re looking for.

215. Shobud says:

Its time to call up Halak and use him to see what he can do Everyone says trade Huet, but for what. The othjer teams don’t want him You will get nothing in return And if Price does not pick up his game he should go back to the bulldogs

216. Peter Young says:

Furthermore, I handled a case in Tampa once–and that was enough. Talk about a redneck town. And it’s still that way.

217. The Kid says:

Interesting tidbit, I just did a little research and it turns out:

With Brisebois in the lineup the habs are 14-15-4 = 32points in 33 games

With Brisebois OUT of the lineup habs are 15-4-5 = 35 points in 24 games

THE FACTS DO NOT LIE CARBO!!!!!!

218. Chuck says:

Where have I read this before?

______________________________________
    “All bow down before the Komisaurus Rex!”

219. rogus says:

I hate to say it…those are facts.

220. MICP says:

Yikes is right.
    We have ourselves to thank for this. Be blew the 3-0 lead and followed that up with being only able to score 2 goals vs the leafs and bolts. We do a serious tank job every year and here we go.
    Pray for #8.

221. HAB-PROFESSOR says:

for starters lets just get the GOON…then we’ll work on getting a better one.