Game 56: Islanders play trick on Canadiens

Islanders’ Mikko Koskinen makes a diving save on Canadiens’ James Wisniewski Thursday night at the Bell Centre.   Shaun Best, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: | Brian Gionta | Ryan White | Alex Auld | James Wisniewski | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: After an all-out battle on Wednesday night in Boston, the Canadiens had a much tamer night on Thursday when the New York Islanders came to town in a 4-3 shootout loss. Kyle Okposo scored the winning goal for the Islanders after they erased three one-goal deficits during the game. Max Pacioretty, who scored two goals on Wednesday night’s 8-6 loss to the Boston Bruins, opened the scoring 14:10 into the first period. He took a pass from David Desharnais and fired a one-timer past rookie goaltender Mikko Koskinen. But John Tavares got that one back 2:25 later when he flipped a shot over Alex Auld’s shoulder. In the second period, Benoit Pouliot made it 2-1 Montreal with 5:49 played. But the Islanders never let up and Michael Grabner tied it 2-2 with a little under three minutes to play. Tomas Plekanec restored Montreal’s lead at 18:08 on a 2-on-1 break. He made Koskinen believe he was going to pass to Andrei Kostitdyn but then fired a shot between the goaltender’s legs. Grabner scored his second of the game 4:08 into the third period to tie the game 3-3, taking advantage of some confusion in the Canadiens zone. Koskinen made 37 saves for his first NHL victory in his second career game.

• What It Means:
Montreal has now lost three straight and falls to 30-20-6 and move up to 66 points with a point for the shootout loss, four ahead of the New York Rangers for sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens are home to the Maple Leafs on Saturday and the Buffalo Sabres next Tuesday before hitting the road for three games in Western Canada that includes the Heritage Classic in Calgary on Feb. 20.

1. ManApart says:

I agree. Sortini is huge and fights a lot. He won’t be a liability on the 4th line. Like him over a Pyatt or Moen.

2. LA Loyalist says:

discuss? ok. The trick with making your own pesto is to toast the pine nuts first – VERY carefully they’ll burn in a second. And nice fresh basil, of course.

3. fbkj says:

sooooo… pair him with the other guy out with an acl?

4. ManApart says:

Subban is what it would take.

5. SeriousFan09 says:

I didn’t closely follow the Habs until the 08-09 season so using that season as a barometer for Komisarek, it was hard to argue for him to stick around since he seemed to absolutely lose it after Lucic destroyed him. He’s done nothing in Toronto since, doing more to set up goals against his own net than the other it seems. Overpaid on the back end and too often goes for a big hit instead of making the right in-zone play.

Gill brings far greater leadership to a team and has done a lot for the locker room including mentor PK for the last while. Komisarek can’t mentor PK about doing anything but trying to do more of his current bad habit, going for the giant hit rather than making the right play. Gorges also doesn’t deserve to have to clean up Komisarek’s garbage.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

6. observer says:

he obviously blamed the players for getting away from his and gauthier’s leftist ways of turning the other cheek, allow yourself to be pounded in any manner and be glad to have power plays to win the game that way.

these 2 oldsters need removal here.

7. ClaytonM says:

At least they didn’t give Pouliot the instigator, but it wouldn’t have surprised me if they did. Strange how there can be 187 PIM, 6 fighting majors per team, and not one instigator. It’s also strange that both Thomas and Price got 2 minutes for “leaving their crease”, when the only extra penalty that’s supposed to be assessed when goalies fight is to the one who crosses the red line. Otherwise, Brodeur should be the NHL leader in PIM for leaving his friggin crease that much in 20+ years.

Nothing will come of this, with that clown campbell in the NHL HQ, but there has to be some rule about using equipment as a weapon. Are you trying to tell me that if Price took of his mask and started wailing on someone’s head with it there would be no extra punishment? How would that differ from Campbell using an elbow pad on Pyatt’s face?

“They (the NHL) still refuse to expose the referees,” he said in Philadelphia. “Granted, they might not get playoff games at the end of the year or their bonus money, but still, that is not enough motivation to get these guys to wake up and call the games the way they should be called. Wake up, NHL, wake up,”

8. rogus says:

Gomez, Moen, 1st and second for Spezza and Neil. Do it PG!!!

9. fbkj says:

hehe well done

10. SeriousFan09 says:

Subban’s main problem in his game ATM is being too eager to throw a giant hit, so pair him with a guy who has an even worse habit of doing that? Not sure that’s what we call developing a young player. More like trying to undo it.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

11. C_Hand says:

HFBoards closed for the night? ;)

Haha i was banned off that site anyways. GO HABS!

12. observer says:

how dare he! gauthier and martin will sit him!

13. JohnBellyful says:

MONTREAL – Georges St-Pierre, the UFC welterweight champion, has been hired by the Montreal Canadiens to serve as a goodwill ambassador.

“Georges is not only an incredible athlete, he’s a superb communicator who’s able to make people feel at ease with what is a violent sport,” Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier said today. “He’s as much a champion outside the cage as he is within, and we want to utilize his immense talents as a public figure and spokesman to promote the team.”

Gauthier said St-Pierre will begin his ambassadorial duties by visiting teams throughout the National Hockey League.

“I don’t think teams work enough on developing close working relationships, which is a pity because we’re all in this together to make a better product for our fans to enjoy,” Mr. Gauthier said.

The GM didn’t get into specifics as to what exactly St-Pierre will be saying or doing when he meets with team officials in other cities.
    “We’re leaving that up to Georges, but I have no worries they’ll get the message,” Gauthier said.

His first stop is Boston followed by Philadelphia.
    “They’re close together and not that far from Montreal so it made sense to visit them first,” Gauthier said.

St-Pierre will also help the team with its cardiovascular exercises and other forms of training.
    He was seen later in the day working with the players in practice. It appeared they were working on hip tosses, knee strikes and armbars.
    “Purely for conditioning,” coach Jacques Martin said.

– “A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.” –

14. fbkj says:

ian already made the same joke earlier, mind you without as much words and stuff

15. JohnBellyful says:

Like something out of …….The Twilight Zone

doodoodoodooo..doodoodoodoo …

16. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, I’m a joke-stealing chump (who will read ALL the posts from now on after work).

Sorry, Ian. Where do I send the royalty?

17. Danno says:

Shaken not stirred, just for shits and giggles

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

18. fbkj says:

wasnt implying you stole, in fact i should have given props for it at the same time, my apologies

19. Say Ash says:

Scott Gomez.

20. punkster says:

It’s OK. A few people had to have Ian’s reference explained to them and I think your post conveys the image well. Besides, nothing wrong with being a Henny Youngman/Milton Berle joke stealing bottom feeder ;)

***Subbang!!!***

21. Jeff says:

Soobie, A.K. a 1st & a 2nd…..nothing less.  Habs win big time!

22. Danno says:

Jack Benny would pifer the odd pun. Jack Benny… JB… John Bellyfull… Coincience? I think not!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

23. fbkj says:

pants buzzed

darche out

24. punkster says:

Whooooa!

***Subbang!!!***

25. fbkj says:

im reporting you to the mods for making lewd and obscene references in regards to my buzzing pants

26. JohnBellyful says:

Let me nip this in the bud. I knew Jack Benny and I am no Jack Benny. Hmmmm, it sounds better when a third party says it. Any third parties out there? Beside the NDP?

27. fbkj says:

pants buzzed again

gill out, picard in

28. fbkj says:

he gets payed a lot of money and smiles sometimes, other times he shuns

oh he also eats puppies

29. zaq007 says:

I don’t even want to know why you got banned xD

30. JohnBellyful says:

Puppies! I knew it!

31. fbkj says:

was expecting a mexican joke

32. A. Berke says:

You forgot the “0 for” at face offs and -4

Ali B.

33. LA Loyalist says:

on the lighter side: why no cup in canada

theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/stanley-cup-drought-blame-the-wives/article1895707/

34. fbkj says:

one would assume white certainly in if darche is out

35. WestHab says:

Have your pants also buzzed White in?

- Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

36. ManApart says:

I didn’t say i was in love with Komi, just that it would be a great trade to get him for Gomez, otherwise i’m wouldn’t really want him. Your analysis of komisarek, is way over simplified, by saying he just gows for big hits messing up coverage, when it happens like once every 10 games. I’ve seen Subban go for some hits and plays and mess up coverage. To just say that’s all Subban is about, is silly as it is for Komi.

37. A. Berke says:

Ilya has 17 goals and 18 A’s and he was with the lousy devils until Lemaire showed up. His cap hit is a bit less I believe, hwvr I don’t like the length of his contract the least bit.

Ali B.

38. JohnBellyful says:

A word to the wise (and I’m speculating here :)) (Hey, that looks like a guy with a double chin smiling, it’s almost as if I’m looking in the mirror) Anyways, about that warning: It’s best to refrain from predictions. I said Eller would score the winning goal on a power play in a 3-2 Habs’ win over the Bruins last night. I take it they didn’t and he didn’t. But if your prediction comes true, I’ll be impressed. Two assists, eh? For our side, right?

39. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m saying that at present, PK’s bad habit is going for that highlight-reel hit. Komisarek has had that bad habit for years, putting that together I don’t see as doing anything useful for the Canadiens or PK.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

40. MTLForever says:

Alright Habs fans, time to shut up about last night. We have the Isles. GO HABS GO!!!!!

Glad you guys had a little fun with Gauthier hiring St. Pierre. I really did not want to tell you that I was hired to coach the ultimate fight game to the boys.

42. JohnBellyful says:

Sorry. I checked my Henny Youngman and Milton Berle collections and not one Mexican joke. Ton of Armenian ones, though. Go figure.

43. JohnBellyful says:

Ian, I just forwarded your royalty cheque. $.07 minus shipping and handling… Hate to tell ya, but you owe me 47 cents. But seeing as great minds think alike, I’ve written it off.

I want to claim the loss.!

45. Danno says:

Claude Julien clearly encouraged his players to goon it up. Colin Campbell should investigate… Oh wait….

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

46. SeriousFan09 says:

Bruins aren’t humiliated, they won’t feel humiliated but their arrogance is undeserved. They nearly threw the game away if not for the absolute incompetence of the Gomez line it might’ve been a proper match and a W by the Habs.

They have deeper issues than the Habs. We know the Canadiens can play when the chips are down and everyone’s trying to smash their faces in. They couldn’t hold the safest lead in playoff hockey you can get. If the Habs they had folded up and the game ended 8-2, 8-3 we’d be in a much more panicked state I imagine but it didn’t end that way. The youth kept on coming last night, Boston kept giving them ways to get back in. The Canadiens have a future with young players who don’t let themselves get held down by a bad scoresheet. Boston, they’re carrying around the most embarassing playoff collapse that’s been seen since close to 10 years before I was born.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

47. matraque says:

Eller arrived to Hamilton.

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

48. shiram says:

Source? nothing on rds or tsn as of now…

49. Seps says:

I would never do that unless the guys a 40 goal scorer, thats alot to trade for a decent power forward.

50. fbkj says:

thats what strikes me as odd… julien never struck me as that kind of coach

51. observer says:

reminded in a way- bruins then bigger stronger and considered a superior team just like now – but as it went on they could not pull away from the habs. sure there were huge differences but 12 and 14 goal games are not the norm in this league let alone in games between 2 good defensive teams. the biggest diff was every time the habs came back to tie it or get within a goal – boston immediatly scored right back on them.

Hey, how did you know?

53. matraque says:

We don’t have a 4th line… that’s the problem.

We have 2 3rd line

——

54. longbow says:

Mitch Melnyk on Team 990 saying we need a couple guys with a mean streak that can play. This is why I hope they get Yemelin out of Russia for next season.Exactly what we need. I think Yemelin would have enjoyed being in the game last night.

55. TommyB says:

True, true…..but Cherry had to rely on pharmaceutical assistance.    Good morning…Good morning…….

56. Seps says:

Actually who would trade Gomez for Komisarek?  It’s a reduction of about 1.5-2M on the cap and it’s a liability for a liability.  I think I would sooner put Gomez on waivers then ever make a trade like that.

57. Danno says:

Ghost, I get what you mean now. Ignore my post below

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

58. J_P says:

Well tampa’s paying $10 million for a player whos minus-6 and has only 28 points (although its in 39 games, not 53 games like gomez), and he’s signed through 2019-2020 lol

59. matraque says:

Everyone noticed GomezZzzZZZ and AK smilling when everyone else was getting beat down?

——

60. punkster says:

Oh man, that would be cool. But I have some skiing to do ;)

***Subbang!!!***

On the other hand maybe we should get that Svitov guy – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rE53BKEXio&feature=related

62. J_P says:

Chris Stewart’s not going anywhere for anything less than a kings ransom.  From mid last season until he got injured this season he was on fire.  25 points in 23 games before getting injured this season.  Still has 29 points in 33 games on the year.

Good article on TSN about last night’s game.

I disagree with his trade options. One trade wont do it. The Habs need to replace the following to be a contender:

Spacek, Picard, Desharnais, Pyatt

If the Habs can replace these 4 players with size and grit they have a chance. With those players forget it.

Spacek is softer than butter on a hot day.

Picard looks good at times looks bad at others, hard to guage but certainly no bruiser, needs to be upgraded.

Desharnais is smaller than Gionta and Cammy, therefore redundant.

Pyatt couldn’t score on an empty net, can’t pass, has no hockey sense and can’t fight. He can skate amazing though.

There’s the weakest links on the team. Upgrade those and the Habs might be able to avoid debacles like last night.

Of course Gomez, Plex, Pouliot and AK46 have to show up for the play-offs.

64. punkster says:

Mmmmm…lots of garlic please.

***Subbang!!!***

65. SeriousFan09 says:

Picard I think you’re giving an overall sense of too much importance, he’s a 7th D that wouldn’t have a sniff of ice time if Gorges and Markov were around. Agree on the other 3, they’re not giving the Habs what they need to go forward. I respect Desharnais and his talent but he’s not going to be a Top-6 centre and we’ve already got too many small guys. Pyatt, he’s honestly a cruel joke played on him by nature, giving him that speed but nothing he can use it for in the NHL. Spacek… oy talk about showing your age.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

66. punkster says:

Some guy named Kovalchuk is chewing up more salary and sucking my pool stats all to hell.

***Subbang!!!***

67. christophor says:

I was just about to post this.

Dangit

68. Mark C says:

He’s still a tough kid. Svitov destroyed Kesler a few years ago.

69. punkster says:

Come on man, you and I and many others agreed last fall and through the winter this team wasn’t going for the hardware this season or next. They’re a work in progress since the purge and overnight quick fixes won’t get us any deeper into the playoffs this year. I’m counting on, and praying for, Gauthier to take the long view when shopping this winter. You may be right about the 4 you mention but we won’t upgrade those 4 this season on the trade market without mortgaging the future. No way. I want to see a contender in 2011 and 2012 but I never expected one this season and nor did you. We’ll make a deal or two, upgrade a bit, get a bit more playoff experience, work on the summer signings and be better for it in the coming years. But i think you already know this.

***Subbang!!!***

70. pmaraw says:

was there no disciplinary action for all those fights with less than 5 minutes left in the game?

71. LA Loyalist says:

Don’t you dare blame Auld for that loss – the guy hasn’t played enough for us to really evaluate him.

No, we mailed it in like we almost always mail it in against “lower” teams. The 2 points are the same, whether from Detroit or Islanders.

I just pray we’re not sitting here in April going… if only we had taken a couple of these games against Islanders, Florida, Cleveland Barons… seriously we wouldn’t be a) Facing Boston or Philly in the first round or b) wondering if we can borrow Gomer’s fishing cabin in Alaska until the heat dies down….

“Don’t expect goal production…” ? Ok. That’s reasonable. I gave up expecting goal production in October.

72. JoeC says:

Montreal wins, everyone holds hands and cheers, Montreal loses and we stab eachother in the back. Wow, i love being a habs fan :)

73. Clay4bc says:

You actually have a source for your speculation, whereas Eklund just pulls stuff out of his a$$ – making you much more credible. Perhaps you should start your own website?

Personally, I would love to see Lemaire as coach here, and if we could land Parise, that would be a bonus. Dare to dream…

__________________________

The only interesting answers are those which destroy the questions. ~Susan Sontag

74. Clay4bc says:

Say what you like about Auld, but our starter let in 8 goals last night. At least Auld cut that down considerably. Perhaps the D is more to blame than the goalies though…and the coach? Seriously – how often has a goalie not been pulled after letting in 5, 6, 7, or 8 goals in a game? I remember the Roy incident, but other than that, it’s usually not done.

__________________________

75. Top Corner says:

Question:

Last night i watched the first period in the laffs/devils game TSn.  During gameplay Gord Miller and Mcguire started talking about Jaques Lemaire.  When asked 2 weeks ago if this was his last year in the NHL he said Yes. But after there visit to the Bell last weekend , apparently Lemaire was asked again if he ever thought about coming back  home and become a part of Montreal again, he said ” you never know….iam not done yet”   Then Pierre went on to say ” well , that would answer the question as too where Zach  Parise will sign in the off season”….

Anyone else hear this , or did i just pull an Eklund……

76. C_Hand says:

He let in one weak goal in my opinion. Otherwise he performed as well as any Backup would be expected to play. I think you are too used to having Halak as a backup. What do you expect? All-star goaltending? I think he did very well in the shootout and I am extremely greatful to have a backup with above a .920 SV%

Tonight, as well as the last few gaes, it has been the defense that has dropped the ball, not the goaltending.

Other than the goaltendign remark, I agree with the rest of your post for the most part. About Gomez- he has never missed the playoffs as long as he has been on the NHL so I feel confident we will make it and he will thrive as usual.

About Markov, I suspect we sign him to a two year contract for slightly less than he is paid right now. Gorges is a keeper as well.

77. Aaron13 says:

Very poor goaltending by Auld again. No wonder he’s been with 8 teams in 6 years – and he’s barely 30 y.o. Every time we had a lead, Mr. Softie let us down.  But for Auld, there was no need for OT. As I mentioned many months ago, a plywood cutout of Auld would be as effective. This team will never be a winner with Martin at the helm. Poor decisions all season – too many to mention unless you want an epic online novel written in collaboration with HIO fans. Period.

As far as Gomez is concerned, his aggressiveness has improved but don’t expect goal production – he is a pure passer with an instinct to pass. He is now skating up the middle, shooting more and making good passes. He thrives in the playoffs – if we make it there this season. He’s not worth 7+M but we’re stuck with it, unless you liquor up Brian Burke and sign him away for Kessel.

Imagine this team with a healthy Markov and Georges. I suspect the Habs will not re-sign Markov to a long term contract. It’s very unfortunate that Markov has suffered from too many serious injuries to be a long term asset. He’s is a great player who played his heart out for the Habs.

78. observer says:

Are you blin? Auld continually kept the Habs in the game!

79. LA Loyalist says:

That’s why it’s special :)

80. LA Loyalist says:

What’s “blin” ?

81. observer says:

watching thrilling 1st period of learfs game on web – emrick and resch start discussing ANDE SHOWING HABS/BRUINS Fights last night for at least 30 seconds full screen WHILE PLAY IS GOING ON IN Devils/Leafs game.

They have Rafalski 5’10” and Lidstrom on the back-end not to mention Kronwall who’s hits destroy even though he’s only 200 lbs. They are not wimpy. Apart from Rafalski who is an elite defenseman thay are all 6 feet and taller.

Draper is the shortest forward at 5’10” and he’s ultra gritty. There are 4 forwards at 5’11” and the rest are 6 feet or taller.

All the Habs size is tied up in Gill and the goalies. The rest of the team is small. That is why the Habs get beat up and the Red Wings dont.

Also the Habs big players many of them are soft, like Spacek or not fighters like Hamrlik. Couple that with small forwards and the team has too many open flanks for attack.

Of DD, Gio, Cammy, Gomez and Plex, two possibly three need to go.

I am not suggesting getting goons and fighters, never had. I am suggesting getting players that are either tall and skilled, tall skilled and gritty, tall skilled, gritty and can score or tall, skilled, gritty, can score and can fight. Not small, skilled players in abundance who will get beat up again and again.

83. adamkennelly says:

The Red Wings skilled players are not all undersized like ours – that makes a huge difference.  Perhaps there is some truth to the fact that our guys are “chippy” – which pisses opponents off, especially when you don’t back it up…Red Wings play hard and keep their mouths shut….

84. J_P says:

I agree.  Seems like all the Don Cherry wannabe’s are coming out, crying that we need more toughness based on ONE game.  How about the fact that we have absolutely mandandled the bruins over the years, and are 3-1 against them this season.  How quickly people forget….

Bruins got the habs off their game plan.  Had the habs spent more time last night on the things that have made them successful and less time running around trying to match the bruins punch for punch, they would have won that game.

A nice strong winger would be nice, not because we need to trade punches with the other team, but because we need more players who drive the net, and less players who float around like AK46, and Gomez.

85. habs03 says:

Excatly, and as I have said before, if Boston is soo much bigger, tougher, better than us, why was last night only their 2nd win vs us in the last 10 games?

86. mjames says:

To those suggesting we blow up the team based on last night I have question. How come the Red Wings don’t seem to have our problem? They do not go out and get goons  along the lines of the Bruins or the Flyers nor do they get into scraps like we did last night. The Wings just win games with a punch of non- fighting skilled Euros who play, unlike like our Euros who play once in a while. Maybe PG should focus on that instead of goons or fighters

mjames

87. newbrunswick troy says:

sloppy,sloppy,sloppy,sloppy

88. observer says:

or as martin calls them “defensive breakdowns” when everyone knows the defensemen stink – spacek, hamerlck have tyhose defensive breakdowns because at this stage of their careers they are not very good anymore. picard is a minor leaguer. martin is defending the gms who brought them here and are responsible for thyose “defensive breakdowns.”

89. observer says:

parity – 5 games tonight – 4 go to overtime, 1 of those to a 4 man shootout and the 5th game a 2-1 regulation win.

90. canadiens26 says:

Ah man, some of your posts are very intelligent, like the one this afternoon, then you wreck it with these types.

91. C_Hand says:

Every single one of our shootout attempts was either extremely predictable or downright terrible. We didn’t score once on an ECHL goalie’s second game in the NHL in the shootout. That was a defensively terrible game by the Habs, I really don’t have confidence in our D right now.

92. Hobie Hansen says:

We could have just as easily lost to a junior team after playing in back-to-back games in which the first was the beating of the century.

93. adam76 says:

This team is a joke.

94. MTLForever says:

exactly, you can’t get much consistency if he is playing 3rd/4th line duties. he does great things out there, i’d like him to have a bigger role, he can easily do it. problem is, makes one mistake and he is back to the bottom lines.

95. C_Hand says:

I agree. The only reason he doesn’t rack up that many points is because he plays on the third line. Play him with Pleks or Gomez and good things can happen.

96. zaq007 says:

The thing about Pouliot is his consistency sure he scored tonight but he’s gone pointless for like 7 games before that, but yeah give him a shot can’t hurt lol

97. Hobie Hansen says:

Your question raises another interesting question; when in the heck are the Habs going to have a normal 3rd line? Most of the guys on the Habs bottom two lines are top six failures or top six long shots. Get rid of some of those guys and bring in some agitators, penalty killers or even an enforcer or two…

98. MTLForever says:

The islanders announcers can’t say any of our names correctly. SubbON, Kosteechen, Poulio, and “patch are you ready”

99. Hobie Hansen says:

Hopefully it’s because he’s pooped from coming off an illness and playing in an ass-kicking last night…

100. MTLForever says:

that is what we hope anyway!

101. zaq007 says:

Wow lost to the worst team in the east, not the best feeling

102. MTLForever says:

wisniewski is not playing a good game. you cannot tell me that he has. give aways, getting burned every single place on the ice.

come on florida steal the other point from buffalo.

103. MTLForever says:

youre telling me that we cannot score once on a rookie goalie in a shoot out???

104. adam76 says:

we chocked like a 16 year old on prom night.

105. Hobie Hansen says:

I haven’t seen the Canadiens have a shift from one of their “so called” checking lines where they pin the opposing team in their own end, kill a minute or two off the clock, and cause some frustration in a dog’s age. By accomplishing that task it’s possible to take a team’s top players off the ice, win a faceoff in their end and get some quality scoring chances. That option does not exist with this version of the Canadiens…

106. DanielTheRussian says:

What happened to the RDS stream from Justintv? It got closed right before the shootout started -_-

107. observer says:

i would have used that little kid on the habs – desharnais – he would have scored.

108. olematelot says:

just like you

109. 4loorplay says:

silly me…..the ONLY reason we got so far was……….H A L A K….It stops here

110. lefreak says:

i miss the expos.

111. MTLForever says:

Adam, you really need a new line. you use that all the time plus you can’t even spell choked.

112. MTLForever says:

give aways tonight in our own end made this game look so bad. auld didnt play badly, and what do you expect when we dont score in extra rounds of shootout.

scrap this one, leafs saturday.

113. observer says:

what also impresses is he is not the least afraid to get physical – in fact he may be the best fighter the habs have. he has the size and now he sure looks like he’s using it.

114. C_Hand says:

I agree they are hard to find. But people who say we need a fighter are wrong, and we don’t need another defenseman either. We do need some more offense, which we could most likely get in a trade.

But for now the injuries are taking their toll, I am surprised how well we have been doing after the break to be honest.

115. olematelot says:

Why waste your time watching a pathetic team. If you really believed that you wouldn’t bother with them

116. 4loorplay says:

Toto…..were not in Kanasas anymore…..wake up….full roster dont cut it for a cup…NOT EVEN CLOSE

117. Habitoban says:

Over the past few months our second best line has been the PHD line, then Darche, DD and Pouliot, and as of tonight, White, DD and Pouliot.  What player do these lines have in common… hmmmm.

118. ManApart says:

It’s not like he’s far off. At least not the last 3 games.

Can he also play D and score some goals.

120. Say Ash says:

Umm, they all make less than Gomez? Combined? Less than Kostitsyn? Combined?

121. MTLForever says:

I personally think Pouliot should be on one of the top lines plus on the powerplay.

122. MTLForever says:

out of the 3 i think ellers played the best tn

123. 4loorplay says:

a good 4th line

124. Bugs says:

Chipchura? Is it Chipchura?

I hate these mind-twisters.

125. GhostRider says:

Anyone else think its time we see Pouliot back on one of the top two lines?  He’s got some great moves and a wicked shot and is starting to look way more confident out there.

Maybe him and Pacioretty together with Desharnais?

126. christophor says:

I know this one!

127. samTHEman says:

markov gill gorges cammi darche price

all didn’t participate tonight and they still came out with a point. yeah…yeah, i know what you’re going to say, the islanders are last in the nhl, but take into considerations the amount of key players that are missing and last night’s craze.

they need to tighten the D up though

128. C_Hand says:

Please tell me you’re kidding. What shows that he has lost the room? The team is on a three-game losing streak, were completely DECIMATED with injuries with 6 of our regulars not playing tonight. He has established a solid defensive system that took us far in the playoffs and has taken us far this year also.

Don’t overreact after a normal loss. We are just on a losing streak, had a bad game. Move on.

129. observer says:

i never saw him play as well here as he did in anaheim.

130. Bugs says:

(sigh)

I miss Marky, Gorgy and Cammy…

131. zaq007 says:

Eller looked like Gomez entering the zone on his last shift if he can master that Gomez will have literally 0 things to bring to this team :S

132. Habitoban says:

133. ManApart says:

Oh ya, forgot Moen was still on the team. Talk about a disappearing act. He’s useless.

134. observer says:

devils right now are 13 points out of a playoff spot with 27 games to go and seem to be playing at a 90% win clip since lemaire took over. kovalchuk looks great – they may not even be a seller if this run contines. beat leafs in overtime ytonight but jersey was far the best team and only reimer kept the leafs in the game.

135. frankcasting says:

Martin: here’s a plank. Walk it. He is making one dreadful decision after the other. His time has passed. Clearly, he has lost the room. Beam up Captain Kirk.

Loving the Habs since 1965

136. MTLForever says:

- Need to look more alive out there

- Eller is playing a better game tonight, don’t care if people do not agree with me on it, he is showing why he should be up here. He just needs more meat on him

- I would NOT trade Pouliot at all. I just think Martin doesn’t use him in the right situations. People always insist we do on Habsinsideout website, I think that would be foolish. He can shoot, has moves, fast, apparently can throw the punches

- Wiz is getting burned all over

- Subban HAD to take those penalties

137. Habitoban says:

Moen hasn’t been playing with his usual gusto for some time now.  i wonder if he’s playing hurt.

138. HNS says:

team must get bigger, way too many battles lost on the boards, way to many

139. HNS says:

Auld’s retro Dryden mask is very cool…

140. samTHEman says:

big forwards who can score and are responsible defensively don’t grow on trees.

there’s arnott, but he’s a centre and we have an abundancy of those right now (5).

neil, not much offense.

penner…inconsistent and do we really need another overpaid forward?

141. observer says:

and even faster they are up again! how many times have they taken pirate bay down!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thats where wikileaks are posted. in fact in sweden they have a political party for that site – the pirate party and are in goovernment there.

142. C_Hand says:

I agree Gomez is playing like crap. But I think he is way better defensively than most players, and he is KEY in the playoffs. But right now that whole line is just terrible. Martin is playing them a lot to get them out of their slump.

143. jrshabs1 says:

It’s just opinion brother nothing to get worked up about. 3 game losing steaks and your team getting the crap beat out them brings out a little frustration that’s all.

Go Habs Go!!

144. Habnofear says:

Can he fight?

145. observer says:

Buffalo is on fire and coming in next week after Leafs who still think they are alive in the playoff race. But Buffalo is charging now AND Buffalo a few weeks back bashed the Habs players all over the ice, in fact knocked at least 3 of them out of that game and more games.

146. samTHEman says:

if you think the habs are pathetic, you’re even more pathetic for wasting your time here, not that you could really be doing anything much more useful. really, gtfo.

147. SeriousFan09 says:

Broadcast network lawyers are hunting those streams down as fast as they’re coming up these days.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

148. C_Hand says:

We really don’t need an enforcer. We need a big forward who is responsible defensively who can fight if he has to. We just need that extra piece. We don’t need a fighter who can hardly play hockey and only use for a physical presence, like Laraque. We are not a pathetic team, but we played an awful defensive game tonight.

People seem to forget we are missing Markov, Gorges and Gill on defense, and Cammalleri and Darche on offense. Plus, our backup was in net. What were you expecting?

We are still alright folks, we are in 10th place out of 30 teams.

And we are in 6th place in our conference.

And 2nd place in our division.

Not to shabby, considering our walking wounded.!

150. observer says:

one positive – auld really played well.

151. observer says:

did same on leafs/devils after reg time – use that new atdhe.me – was working there all thrrough to the end

152. Habby67 says:

What a pathetic team. The worse part is listening to Martin say we dont need enforcers??!!! Is he smoking crack? Did he not watch our team get hammered last night? I cannot believe what I hear coming from that organization. I wish, really wish they would hire a guy like Patrick Roy. Someone like him wouldnt put up with this bullshit and would go out and pound someone on his own. I guarantee, and you can take this to the bank, that we are going to stink out the place against the Leafs on Saturday, mark my words!! What an embarrassing display AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

153. DanielTheRussian says:

154. C_Hand says:

How many penalties already? This is retarded!

155. HNS says:

Typical NHL officiating. Everything or nothing at all.

156. LA Loyalist says:

Did PK really get the same penalty (tripping) for tripping the same guy twice in the same period? I’m just following the summary on my iPhone, but that can’t be, can it?

157. lefreak says:

they have won 30 games while only scoring 145 goals. 30 wins while averaging 2.6 goals a game is pretty astounding. They aren’t the best, but those numbers dictate that they are doing something right…although the last week has really been attrocious.

158. LA Loyalist says:

Supposedly we have a great defensive coach, quoted just now on TSN.  Well if we have such a genius defensive coach, how come we can’t play defense?

Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size

Text Size

MONTREAL — Coach Jacques Martin says the Montreal Canadiens’ fight-filled 8-6 loss to the Boston Bruins was due to defensive errors rather than the widely held belief that the team needs an enforcer.

159. C_Hand says:

Seriously? Hamrlik worthless? He has been the most stable and reliable defenseman on our entire roster for the time we’ve had him. I would definitely resign him, seeing as he would like to stay here and he has played so well. At a cheaper salary of course, but not by much. I’m thinking around 3mil.

160. observer says:

only a brain like gainey would bring a next to worthless hamrlck here and at that salary.

161. andrewberkshire says:

I hope you’re not thinking of abandoning Chairman Meow, best avatar on this site.

162. Lazarus_taxa says:

everything you post is a waste of breath.  That is all.

163. SmartDog says:

woah.  And people say I’m obsessed.  I mean, yes I’m pissed that Gomez sucks and takes up not just so much cap space but our 2nd line center position too.  And that’s not gonna go away until he does or until he starts playing like the veteran prescence he keeps telling the media that he thinks he is.

But man that’s a lot of attention on what was admitedly a fairly banal post.  Not to mention a lot of page space.

164. fbkj says:

used to have my real pic up, this, is a meme, http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fck-yea#

“Ryan White is called up.”

Now we’re tough.

^

nobody is making this proclamation, strawman

Now Gomez won’t take dumb penalties.

^

nobody is making this proclamation, strawman

Now Pyatt won’t get the crap pounded out of him.

^

nobody is making this proclamation, strawman

Now we won’t get pushed all over the ice,

^

nobody is making this proclamation, strawman

and even when we score two hatsful of goals we’ll win

^

nobody is making this proclamation, strawman

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr… i know im not HIO boardcop, im a staunch believer in individual liberties, people can say whatever they want to… but something about feigned outrage over vaporous conclusions makes me insane, so its for me to deal with i get that…

peace

165. fbkj says:

i apologize, its just like i said, strawmen do little to add to constructive discussion and i try not to reply, but ya do it a lot, its dishonest and the laziest way to make a point is all

166. SmartDog says:

Ya know, anytime someone knocks the 5 questions thing I know they’re not worth talking to.  Not because it’s so special or anything like that, but because a handful of people at least enjoy it, it usually provokes some constructive discussion, and I work to make the questions good.  So it’s easy to crap on someone else’s constructive efforts, harder to match it… whatever. Wasting my breath.

167. fbkj says:

ooooooh and i cant wait for 5 MIND BLOWING questions, day in, day out… also, gomez is overpaid

168. SmartDog says:

Next time I’ll get my argument from the factory.

I’ll look forward to all of your fact-based posts.  Not.  Opinions are what makes this place run, natch.

169. fbkj says:

sorry, fabricating arguments just rub me the wrong way

170. SmartDog says:

Thin like a pencil drawing.

Not anyone’s best work.

“It bothers me…there are old coaches in the league today that don’t know how to deal with these young personalities.” – Mike Peca on JM handling of PKS

171. SmartDog says:

I wasn’t putting up an “argument”.  It’s just that Ryan White seems to get called up when we get knocked around. And it’s ridiculousness bordering on inept. The guy is 6′ tall in sandals.  Just doesn’t make sense.  And the straw man thing… well, I dunno… if you didn’t look like one it would feel less… ironic?

172. The Cat says:

Did you change your avatar recently? Cause it never works for me. HIO hates me.

173. The Cat says:

Thanks! My other one would be cool I think, I could always alternate I guess, thats if I could ever get it to work.

174. fbkj says:

its not an obsession, its reading something, once, rolling ones eyes, commenting, banter ensues, breaking down what it was that you wrote and why its abbrassive…

175. SmartDog says:

Then skip it like I do your posts.

Hard to believe but not everything on here is going to appeal to you.  Get used to it.

176. fbkj says:

on my end, .jpg’s just dont cut it on HIO anymore but .png’s instantly work without any bugs, if you dont have conversion software lemme know

177. C_Hand says:

Yes he got two tripping penalties for tripping Josh Bailey. They were good penalties to take, because both would have been breakaways. I wouldn’t blame Subban I would blame giveaways from Gomez and Wisniewski.

178. HNS says:

you would have to ask his wife

179. observer says:

you all still think desharnais is too small?

180. habs365 says:

Habs are what they are…win some lose some..they took a beating last night..pretty much all areas..and that’s the way Boston is gonna play them from now on…..

181. Tobiass says:

Right, because Boston’s goons have taken them sooooo deep in the playoffs…..

182. Habsrule1 says:

We dominate Boston for 2 years (not to mention the past 40 but those were different teams), and they beat us one game and we need, we need, we need.

We lost most of the fights and were pushed around, but we still came close to winning. If it had not been for the Gomez line, the Habs would have won in OT.

Just imagine how Boston would have felt having beaten us down all night and still losing!

Thant being said, a tougher bottom 6 would not upset me.

Go Habs Go!! “Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

183. SmartDog says:

So Ryan White is called up.  Now we’re tough.  Now Gomez won’t take dumb penalties.  Now Pyatt won’t get the crap pounded out of him. Now we won’t get pushed all over the ice, and even when we score two hatsful of goals we’ll win.  Yah.  Whatever.  It’s pushing food around the plate.  We need a couple of gritty a-holes of our own or else we’re not goin’ nowhere.

184. fbkj says:

four strawmen

not your best work

185. Storm Man says:

Oh he is a faceoff god…. But he can’t beat the tar out of Carcillo or Moen, he would have been a punching bag for Boston last night.

186. RiverviewCanadien says:

Not suggesting he play top line minutes, just add a little grit…sheesh!

And no this is not in response to last night, everyone knows the team needs some bigger guys, and I read on NHL.com what I posted below. I think he would love to play for the HABS and give it his all…

187. krob1000 says:

Geez…check out his stats in the AHL…he is pretty well a point per game guy down there…then nothing in the show…is he super slow? His history suggest he should at least be able to play some minutes…I am surprised I didn;t know he had those numbers elsewhere…I knew he fought a ton but this is surprising http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=42428

188. Storm Man says:

Watch him play tonight and come here and tell me you still do :).

189. Storm Man says:

So who do you drop at centre to have him in the line-up? we need sandpaper we have a little grit aka Moen.

190. SmartDog says:

Thanks Pieboy, you’re right that’s the point. What Habsrule says is true… and I love watching us make Boston eat it, but I think Boston went into this saying “we’re gonna pound those guys, and take it from them”.   Like Phili does to us… we can skate with fast strong teams unless they start to pound us and our guys take bad penalties.  And that seems to be the story of several of our L’s this year.

191. Pieboy says:

At the end of the year, I doubt that this will be rememebered as the game the Habs needed to win. However, it might be the final wakeup call that: 1. The current roster can’t compete effectively against size with speed and; 2. Apparently the NHL still requires teams to carry an enforcer.

Beating up Spacek, btw, was really disgusting.

Last night’s game reminds me of how the Bruins handled the Habs in that 4 game sweep. Same bitch-slapping. Different day.

193. SeriousFan09 says:

???

The playoff sweep was capping off a season where it had become apparent the entire Canadiens team had come unglued and had to be reconstructed. Bad analogy sir, I think we saw a lot of fight in the young players and how far they’ll keep going even when the team is down. If the 2008-09 Canadiens fell behind, you could turn off the TV the script was so predictable. This team since the Decemer road trip? Can’t kill ‘em, they keep coming back, don’t always win but they’re not giving up.

- I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

Last night’s game was the Centennial play-off 4 game sweep all over again. People brush it off but it could be the turning point for both clubs, one heading up and the other down. The next few games will decide whether that’s the case or not.

195. mrhabby says:

for sure he did or put a bug in some ones ear. She is damn hot for sure and to get out of that wreck of a team he must be so happy . nice move for both teams i say.

what did you think of last nights mess..you can rant about gomez too…

196. SmartDog says:

You could see that coming.  He probably asked for it.

And not just his wife is happy.  I bet he’s one happy boy.   Get out of the train wreck that is Ottawa and go where your hot wife is based.  And I mean HOT.  Is it okay to talk about Christian babes that way?  I mean, it sounds better than “man she is soooo chaste!”

197. mrhabby says:

his wife is very , very happy.

198. fbkj says:

as are the preds, they traded for underwood and got a descent top 6 forward thrown in

199. SmartDog says:

Man, Gomez is getting worse.  I think Pleks is in his head… I mean he’s not just better he’s so much better it’s not funny.

Besides that I think Boston did what they needed to.  Entertaining game to watch, lotsa goals etc. but scary cause I think Boston cracked the code.  Future games aren’t going to be easier, they’ll be tougher.  And the Habs lacked discipline AGAIN.  Sucks.

200. Chuck says:

I’m afraid that we’d really have to sweeten that deal. Maybe throw in an Everlasting, a Timmy, a Jeff, and a Tony or two.

201. fbkj says:

twas a joke

at the moment we need to adress toughness and scoring… preferrably from one source, the only thing konopka does is fight…

edit: i worded this badly, by one source i mean players that can do both, not just one guy…

if he is defensively sound, might be worth looking into

202. RiverviewCanadien says:

?

Sorry I don’t get involved in the sandbox arguments on this site…I assume he is a poster here?

203. Storm Man says:

Snow would lol and say you want to trade me some manparts for a NHL player.

204. waisguy says:

Thanks Ian. Unfortunately, those websites are filtered where I work, but a direct link would be much appreciated.

205. Hobie Hansen says:

100% agreed! Hamrlik is solid. Spacek is the bad signing.

206. C_Hand says:

I agree, he is one of the league leaders in giveaways. I think the majority of them are when he was playing on the right, he just seems so much worse on that side. You’re right he is not as good anymore, especially not when he was in Buffalo. But if we reduce his ice time and play him on the left side, he becomes an awesome defensive defenseman. I would love to have him on the third pairing for a lower salary!

Ps. NO FIGHTING!

207. C_Hand says:

To give Spacek credit, he plays 100 times better on the left side but he is always asked to play on the right with Hamrlik. I blame the injuries. If you notice when he plays left, it’s rare because he is so unnoticeable. Which is a good thing for a defenseman.

208. Hobie Hansen says:

Perhaps you’re right. However, Spacek has made some glaring defensive mistakes this year, including a bunch of games where he has coughed the puck up along the boards while trying to clear the zone and is constantly out battled in the corners. Not to mention he’s gotten the crap beaten out of him twice lol.

Gotta go watch the game. Later!!

Tried, sorry! This site does not let us put them up anymore.???

211. waisguy says:

Would someone kindly post a direct link to the game? I cannot use adthe at work. Thanks.

212. The Cat says:

Because the habs have the voodoo on them, kinda like Chicago has on Vancouver, its one of those things that make no sense.

213. Clay4bc says:

Well done (with the Bruce Lee quote!).

__________________________

214. citizenSanto says:

man, rough going for both the team and the fans. Here’s hoping they can get things back on track.

I for one will be taking a deep breath and remembering the words of Bruce lee:

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

————————————–

Hope has two beautiful daughters. Their names are anger and courage; anger at the way things are, and courage to see that they do not remain the way they are. — Augustine of Hippo

215. Psycho29 says:

Hmmm…no Hal Gill or Darche tonight

216. RiverviewCanadien says:

Do it PG!

a wish or a fact?

218. aemarchand11 says:

Konopka for a 5th rounder in 2012

Go Habs Go! 2010-2011

219. deuce6 says:

…and you need to watch the highlight reel saves Halak made time and time again to save our asses..If we don’t get great goaltending, for the majority of the time, we lose…This team simply cannot get any better with Gomez getting that kind of hit and that giving us that kind of production….

I don’t care what kind of “playoff performer” the guy is, he stinks in regards to his cap hit..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

220. rob_c says:

In a salary cap world contracts matter. I’m not hungry, so don’t try feeding me s*** saying that the money Gomez gets doesn’t effect the team. IT DOES. That being said I WILL agree with you when you say “if he makes 2 million I guarantee you’d like him 10 times more”. Truth be told I might like like him 20, 30 or even a 100 times more. He’s a good player, especially in the playoffs like you previously mention. In all fairness to Gomez, I realize you can’t really fault the guy for taking more money then he deserved. If my boss came up to me and offered me 2 or 3 times more then what I’m worth you can bet your life I’m taking it, as Im sure all of you would as well. If your going to blame anyone for Scott Gomez it starts at the buffoon who signed him to that contract and ends with Bob Gainey. It put unrealistic expectations on a guy whose not capable of achieving them. You mention the fact that he plays well in the playoffs as a reason he gets paid so much? If I recall Kostopolous preformed pretty well in the playoffs too. Lets throw him $3.5mil/yr. Like you said their salary doesn’t effect us. I’d argue that big time though. I just turned 21 and wasn’t as fortunate as most of you who got to watch Montreal hoist the Cup above their heads and parade down St. Catherine St like it was a regular routine. I was 4 when we won the last Cup and my memories are vague to say the least. I fear that having a player of Gomez’s calibre representing more then 12%!!!! of our payroll might seriously hinder the chances of another cup for our Habs in the next few years. Thats why I CARE about Scott Gomez’s salary. If their was no salary cap I wouldn’t have even posted. Don’t say that the size of his contract doesn’t matter, because it does!

221. rob_c says:

HE SURE STEPPED UP DURING THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE YEAR TWO NIGHTS AGO AGAINST BOSTON…. the name Gomez should be banned from this forum.

222. A. Berke says:

sorry but, you still don’t get it.

I wasn’t disliking his salary (besides don’t try to be condescending while thinking rather inanely that I or other posters are jealous about what he makes – you don’t know jack!) but I was pointing out that when paid such large amounts of money he needs to be contributing a lot more than a couple dozens of games a year; he’s after all top 10 or maybe top 5 paid in the NHL while his contribution to the team is at the level of any average 3rd line center in the league.

So, what’s so good about his value?

Ali B.

223. C_Hand says:

Check out your first comment. You sure mentioned his contract a lot for someone who doesn’t dislike his salary, not to mention how many times you have said how much his contract is in your last two comments. I don’t see how I was being condescending, I’m sorry if I offended you but please don’t get so angry at a random poster on the internet(“you don’t know jack!”).

Look, Sather offered Gomez a very big contract, it is not Gomez’s fault for that. He can’t suddenly raise his skill level to make up for it. What he CAN do is do what he is best at: play hockey when it really matters. I agree his contract is huge, but you seem to be basing your entire opinion of the guy on his contract. Look at what he brings to this team: a leadership presence, he is a cup-winner, a huge playoff performer and a strong point-per-game player down the stretch. And please, he is not an “average 3rd line center.” He may not put up the most points but he is an amazing passer, great at establishing the zone, and you casually forget how he has very good defensive awareness. He is a two-way player who can kill penalties, play on the first wave of your powerplay, picks up his game in a HUGE way down the stretch and gives it his all in the playoffs.

That’s what is so good about his value.

224. C_Hand says:

Gomez is arguably our best player in the playoffs, at times carrying the team on his shoulders. Gomez has never been on a team that missed the playoffs ONCE in his whole NHL career. Gomez averages a point-per-game almost every year in the last 20-30 games. And finally, his salary IS NOT affecting our team. With all the young talent with cheap contracts, we are still able to maneuver, especially considering players on LTID like Markov, whose contracts are off the books.

Sure, he takes the night off pretty often. But I’d pay that price for someone who shows up WHEN IT MATTERS.

-quoted by myself, since you seem to be hung up on a certain aspect of his….

225. C_Hand says:

226. The Cat says:

What I dont get is if it was understood that the habs would use JM’s defense-first system, why take on that amount of money with star players?

227. C_Hand says:

The problem with a lot of Habs fans is that you are focusing on his contract. IT IS NOT AFFECTING US! If he costed two million, I guarantee you like him TEN TIMES more! But just because he makes a lot of money, people naturally dislike him. His contract is not affecting our team, we still have cap space, so I don’t see why you are bringing money into this just like every other fan that whines about his contract! Leave it alone!

I would pay a lot for a player who can carry a team on his shoulders in the playoffs like Gomez does. Maybe not 8 million, but seeing as we have so many young guys with cheap contracts it isn’t that big of an issue. You aren’t the general manager so why should you care about his salary? He brings it when it counts.

With all due respect, don’t whine about someones contract when it doesn’t affect anything but your perception of him.

228. A. Berke says:

Please take a minute of your time and read my comment above about the value we’re getting for 8 mil vs. playoff contribution.

Thank you.

Ali B.

229. A. Berke says:

8 mil per for maybe (a big maybe) 20-25 games a year and the playoffs! WOW! What a friggin bargain! What an out of this world ROI!

I guess he better start producing right now (better yet, yesterday) if he’s going to be any good at all otherwise it’s very likely that we won’t get to see his HUGEness in the play-offs.

For the 8 mil we can have two decent forwards/centers that’ll put up better numbers than he has.

With all due respect, I sincerely hope that you are not in charge of any financial business, pls keep your day job.

Ali B.

230. LA Loyalist says:

We have a huge hole now, called Gomez. I’d rather bleed with the kids than be embarassed every night.

231. VancouverHab says:

You need to watch the video of last season’s playoffs where we were a playoff calibre team and Gomez and his contract were absolutely key — like they will be this year.

Attitude gets you nowhere — facts get you everywhere.

232. C_Hand says:

What do you mean? We have amazing depth! Look at the center position: Plekanec, Gomez, Halpern, Desharnais, Eller…

The problem with Gomez is that he only plays hard when he chooses to, but lucky for us he plays his best at the end of the season and in the playoffs. Price has played well, he anchored us for the first ten games or so, but most of the games we have won are from applying our system.

Gomez is essential to our team and his contract is not a problem, we still have some cap space and will get a lot more this offseason.

233. deuce6 says:

If not for the goaltending we are receiving from Price, this team is not a playoff calibre team..Sorry…and Gomez’s contract is a huge anchor to correct what is really wrong with this team..Depth..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

234. C_Hand says:

Well, we acquired Gionta way after we got Gomez, so we didn’t get him because we thought we were going to get the other… The reason we acquired him was because Gainey believed we needed players who knew what it took to be a playoff contender and who had experienced the most out of the playoffs. That is why he acquired players like Gomez, Gionta, Moen and Gill. All of those players have won the Stanley Cup and know what to takes to get there and to win it all.

I am tellign you right now, Gainey is the reason the Habs will be succesful in the future. Just look at that trade he did: Rivet for Gorges and Pacioretty. What an amazing trade. The man is brilliant.

235. 4loorplay says:

we stuck with gomez because hes with gionta as the package gainey saw

236. LA Loyalist says:

Just to be clear, re Gomez, if you go to a fancy steakhouse and drop $60 for a dry-aged rib-eye, and they bring you a plate of dog food, you’re ok with that?

If we re-sign Gomez… I can’t even imagine the horror of that…

237. Bugs says:

Does Ryan White drop’em tonight?

238. observer says:

There is no salary cap for teams to worry about getting under! Terrible analogy! Plus watch the numbers Wells puts up there next year.

239. HabFanSince72 says:

You really didn’t see the game.

240. observer says:

They could have used Charles Manson last night.

241. Top Corner says:

This just in : The Montreal Candiens have a game tonight vs. the NY Islanders.  If they get these 2 pts, and stay focused down the stretch unlike there loser rivals , they will remain within a game of, if not pass the beez in the standings where reeality matters.

242. Hobie Hansen says:

This just in: The Montreal Canadiens have made calls to Corson, Odelein, Keane, Manson and Quintal to practice with the current Habs to teach them a lesson on how to be men.

243. C_Hand says:

244. The Cat says:

Although I didnt see the game cause Im sick with a fever, I think its fair to say Auld dropped the ball. This was his spot to ‘steal’ the game, given what had happened the night before. Halak was so good at that.

245. Aaron13 says:

Very poor goaltending by Auld again. No wonder he’s been with 8 teams in 6 years – and he’s barely 30 y.o. Every time we had a lead, Call him Mr. Softie. As I mentioned many months ago, a plywood cutout of Auld would be as effective. My friend who is a coach laughs. He also said this team will never be a winner with Martin and I agree. Poor decisions. Period.

246. Strabo says:

A shout out to my friend Walker playing in the big tournament in Quebec. WOOT WOOT

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.” Albert Einstein

247. RiverviewCanadien says:

Doesn’t Snow like picks?

I think Zenon is a UFA at the end of this year? I doubt the Habs would have to give up much

248. adamkennelly says:

could have signed him for mice nuts in the off season…decent 4th line center as well…can kill penalties, and win face offs like a mofo…

249. RiverviewCanadien says:

So what would it take to get this guy?

Kenopka admits he’s biased when he says a team will have difficulty winning without players who can compete in games that turn overly physical. An unrestricted free agent after the season, Kenopka also made no effort to hide the fact he would love to fill that role for the Canadiens if his services were to be required at the trade deadline.

“Every player wants to play in Montreal at some point in their career,” said Kenopka, who will get that chance Thursday night, except in an Islanders uniform.

250. fbkj says:

manapart for konopka

251. C_Hand says:

I understand much of the frustration, sadly I have never been old enough to really witness a Habs Stanley Cup win, I am only around 20. The Bruins did beat us up a lot last night, played us [hysically because they know we cannot do that. But we DID beat them three times already, and when we don’t play into their physical game, we beat them every time. Our defense played awfully and we are missing so many key players.

But I share your concern for the same result every year: Habs fighting for a playoff spot. In the league nowadays it seems tough to be a re[eat contender or to build a dynasty. In my opinion we are well on our way to becoming a legitimate contender and improving our team, and with the leaders on our team who have already won cups, they can teach our younger guys what it takes.

I have a positive outlook on the future of this organization and I encourage you to have one as well, because the darkest days in Habs history are behind us and management is actually makign smart moves every day. I trust what this team can do and know they can go far.

But I think our younger core needs to mature a little bit. Guys like Subban and Pacioretty and Eller and Weber and Pouliot all have shown great signs of becoming significant players in our future, and prospects like Leblanc and Kristo and Palushaj are all showing great signs as well.

Stay positive and GO HABS GO!

252. 4EverHabsFan says:

I love the optimism… better than the rest of the negativity we read in 95% of the rest of the posts here after a loss…

The last time the Habs could have been considered a serious contender for the cup every year probably was from like 1988-say 1993 (even though in 1993 we had a 100+ pts we were actually 3rd in our division!) Way too long ago for me. From 1995 until now, we have never been a serious contender consistantly (except 07-08 and the F’n cheap ass Canes!)

I look at the Wings and wonder how come we couldn’t be that. As much as I can’t stand any Redwing (except Yzerman) since I have been watching hockey, they are one of the BEST every year… That is what I want.

I am a Jays’ fan- I will never have that luxury of being a consistant contender ever as long as the Yankees & Red Sox are in our division… I need this with the Habs!!! LOL

I think yesterdays Boston game may infortunately be a sign of what will come the next while we play them. I HATE the Bruins- even more than the Leafs!! But if Lucic plays like he did last night- Fack! We have nothing that can stop him. He is way too big for our little forwards and most of our D.

The way the Bruins played last night, chippy and physical, and us showing NO discipline, a traite we have shown quite often this season, our guys would wear down in a series like that…

Yes we have had success against the Bruins this season, but we got lucky the last time remember… 2 goals in the last 3 minutes to tie it up… And Boston has been playing a lot better hockey lately.

I have seen amazing Habs playoff runs… None better than 1993 and 10 overtime wins… but that is almost 20 years ago. Last season was again special. All I am saying is we cannot count on that year in year out.

Our veterans with Cups (Gill, Gomez, Gionta, Moen… anyone else I am drawing a blank), anyways, they aren’t too young…

If MaxPac can play like he has since the recall… AWESOME… but that has to be everynight. Subban has been a rollercoaster. Weber is steady (way better than Picard or a Breezer). DD- has been ok, but way too small… sorry, but with all our other garden gnomes out there we NEED big… Lots of potential in the youth… way better than what our farm produced in the early 1990’s!!! (Turner Stevenson a 1st rounder… OUCH!!)

Pouliot is way too inconsistant, and man I want to really LIKE that guy! Cause when he is playing well, he is really good. He has a great shot. Darche- I LOVE the effort! Halperen a good surprise but we may have already got more out of him than we could have expected…

A repeat of last year… again, I don’t see it this year. that’s a lot to ask 2 years in a row…

253. C_Hand says:

It takes awhile to become a contender though, and you don’t think we are on the right path? All the yougn guys on our team are showing HUGE signs of success and our current core is all veteran players, many of whom have won the Stanley Cup.

I don’t see why we can’t beat Boston in a series as you say, we already have beaten them three out of four games this season… Philly we have always had a hard time playing but we have beaten them also. The Habs got to the Conference Finals last year, and great defensive play got us there with an amazing goalie. We still have an amazing goalie and play with the same system, but we are working on our offense this year.

This team can do amazing things in the playoffs as you have seen. We have an amazing veteran core and fantastic rookies with an outstanding goalie and a great coach. Becoming a contender in a couple of years isn’t that unlikely.

254. 4EverHabsFan says:

They are good. If you are content making the playoffs, ok.

Myself, I would like to be a contender. Year in year out like say… Detroit???

So to me, I enjoy watching. My expectations are low. Am I happy that they are 6th… Not really, but with all the injuries (which every team has…) I am surprised that we have battled and kept in the playoff mix.

If you are expecting us to ride anoth HOT goalies like last year in the playoffs, I am sorry but that will not happen. This team will not survive a series with Boston or Philly. They will beat the sh*t out of us.

We all need to just be happy that night in a night out, this team makes it close or at least interesting. Most of them compete night in and night out (minus Gomez and AK). Price has been surprisingly good, mind you he has played so many games, I think he is starting to look/play tired… just my opinion…

Unfortunately nights like this always happen to the Habs. They never play well against the weak teams. Toronto will come into our building and make a game of it… and hopefully ffs we win, cause I live in F’in Leaf country!

255. C_Hand says:

Why don’t you think this is a very good team? We aren’t elite, yes. But loook how many young guys are in our core. What exactly are you expecting Gainey or Gauthier to do?

256. 4loorplay says:

well said james

257. fbkj says:

old news is old

258. Pieboy says:

One tough winger Habs won’t get- Fisher to the Preds for a 1st round pick +

259. Propwash says:

That diving save by Koskinen was epic.

260. LA Loyalist says:

If you read the whole article it is just frustrating. JM doesn’t acknowledge that any improvement is necessary, that’s all.

My issue is that JM getting credit for what Halak and Price have done. With average goaltending we are roadkill.

Certainly every good team has ups and downs where the goalie can even things up, but to go a calendar year with our goalies carrying us…

…look at Hiller on Ducks, he finally just dropped from exhaustion of being the most fired-on goalie in the NHL. That’s why they got Beachemin and luckily the kid Curtis is good. Price is a big strong guy, but weird injuries happen and then where are we?

261. 4EverHabsFan says:

agree on Markov, but that doesn’t mean PG isn’t going to sign him back…

262. 4loorplay says:

markov will never be the player he was.

hes done

263. 4loorplay says:

dallas has a little size …with heart….they are consistent

264. 4loorplay says:

(comment deleted)

265. Mr. Biter says:

Timo, time for you to be banashed to the wilds again for being out right stupid (for a while anyways). They played  next night after being physically destroyed by the Bruins who did their best to mame and cause injury to their closest competitor and espically in the last 5 minutes of last night’s game. Simple plan, destroy as many Habs as possible and they did that. How many players played hurt, stitched up, black eyed etc. after the Bruins got through with them,YET they played on missing at least 6 top tier players and still got a point. My concern is that I have been a JM supporter however he must be smoking some really good stuff or is living in a dream world if he thinks that we do not need to beef (hell tell it as it is GOON up) or come March 8th. the Bruins will do it again to us in our house. Adding White alone will do nothing to stop those a@#holes Bruins only muscle will and not letting up if we have one of their players down. Kick the crap out of them as the Habs of old did (Ferguson, Nilan etc.) and show them we mean business. If not and JM did say “wait till they come to our rink” they will be thinking yee haw here comes another ass kicking. Hopefully PG has some more sense and will either get a Goon or at least bring up Bonneau from the AHL and someone (anyone who can throw-em from the ECHL for the game. Lucky Cammy wasn’t playing last night or he would have been on the Bruins hit list and lost for the season.

This team blows.

267. 4loorplay says:

Against the last place team in which they lead 3 (THREE)  Times. Stop with the gerber and eat solids.

268. C_Hand says:

Maybe it’s because you have seen so many winning teams but I’m sorry, this new NHL and this is parity league. Any team can win on any given night. If you can’t see that we are exhausted, overplayed (third back-to-back in a row, 6 starters absent…) and at a low point then I don’t see how you are a real fan.

How can you be? You seem to be the kind that gives up after a loss and thinks we are amazing after a win. How can a real fan give up on a twenty year old goalie who won the junior gold medal in the world jrs after having ONE BAD SEASON? Just because another goalie had a great season? You can’t hate a kid over something like that. I’m surprised with your age you give up on youth so easily after seeing one player play well… look at Halak now.

269. 4EverHabsFan says:

Bang on!

270. 4loorplay says:

sorry dude…im a hab fan sice ….67, lose to boston last night i can accept…but lose tonight after being ahead 3 times…i cant…no killer punch here. if not for price who i hated at the beginning of year…we not anywhere near a playoff spot.

1st round knock out….

5 ft nothing fowards will get you just that….nothing

271. 4EverHabsFan says:

If we don’t sign Markov- YEs

Sign Markov… Depends on the $ and if we are keeping some of our oldies…

272. Say Ash says:

Everybody still wanna re-sign the Wiz?

273. Rainrocket16 says:

274. C_Hand says:

This team doesn’t suck and we don’t need to change coaches. This is the third back to back in a row we have played, we were missing Markov, Gorges, Gill, Cammalleri, Darcha and Price and we just played the most physical game of the season yesterday. We don’t need any fighters, we don’t need any defense. We need a tough forward who can score goals and is reliable defensively.

This is a great team, I am surprised how well we have been doig with all these injuries and so many rookies. The people who say we suck or we need a new coach, you aren’t real fans.

275. gloveside says:

“Great” is a bit of hyperbole. I think this is a decent team for what it is, but really a slightly above average team [we still are only 4 games better than .500]. Would you call Dallas or Phoenix a great team [similar records]?

Would be great to have the whole team back at once, but they still need to get a bit bigger up front [and find someone to take Gomez].

My nightmare for Saturday night will be that the Leafs will push us around and beat us in OT.

276. ManApart says:

No, the team doesn’t suck, but it’s not that great either. Certainly not contender quality and isn’t that the point of all this, to contend for a Cup? Not according to Gauthier and Gainey it seems. They are content to just fight for the playoffs.

277. C_Hand says:

Gomez is probably one of the best if not the best playoff player on our team. He has a big contract which makes him harder to move, but he is the only 2nd line center on our team. No, Eller, Halpern and Desharnais are NOT 2nd line material. We get rid of him, we have a huge hole and completely kill a lot of our playoff muscle.

AK is an RFA, so we would be lucky to get a 2nd rounder at this stage. Very lucky. I think we are gonna keep Gomez until his contract is over in a couple of years and resign him. He can have bad stretches but is HUGE in the final 20-25 games and the playoffs. You’ll see.

278. 4EverHabsFan says:

If the Jays’ GM could get rid of Vernon Wells’ contract, there HAS to be a way to get Gomez the F out of dodge!!

279. deuce6 says:

We need to rid ourselves of that Gomez contract..Even if it means dealing our 1st rounder to do it..

I don’t think this team is gonna go very far with Markov/Gorges out for the year and we are just too small up front to compete in a 7 game series with BOS/PHI..

Rip it down and start over..Keep the kids (PK,Price,Pacioretty), but see what we can get for AK, Gomez (1st), Wiz, etc…I think the team should be sellers at the deadline, not buyers..No band aid is gonna bring us a cup..Make deals for the future, IMO..

—————— Yes, I’m a Hab fan..Wanna fight about it?

280. Hobie Hansen says:

Well duh, who said anything about not being focused?

281. puroman77 says:

check out this blogger i found real indepth stats on each canadians player after each and every game   http://justorunjustthoughts.blogspot.com/

282. 4loorplay says:

too late…his value was high when he stormed out with 9 goals in 15 games from the start…..

the hope of return has vanished

talking about the one we still have….sorry

283. gloveside says:

Maybe we could trade him and a pick for his brother.

284. Bugs says:

Well, I know he likes vodka and fast cars; maybe we could get’m a bottle and some tickets to the car show.

285. samTHEman says:

you mean andrei nonsistyn

286. Rainrocket16 says:

I am not trying to bash our players but if we do a trade, I wonder what we could get for Andre Inkonsistin….

287. Propwash says:

It sucks that the Habs lost, but I still had a good time with my niece and my girlfriend. I’m definately buying tickets off of my niece’s connection again. Paid less than face value for center ice reds.

288. fbkj says:

obvious post is obvious

289. samTHEman says:

je veux un chandail patsiorreti