Game 56: Islanders play trick on Canadiens

Islanders’ Mikko Koskinen makes a diving save on Canadiens’ James Wisniewski Thursday night at the Bell Centre.   Shaun Best, Reuters

Preview | Matchups | Thursday’s

NHL schedule | Boone’s
Game
Blog,
 Quick

Hits and About last night …
| Stubbs on Twitter | Hickey’s game story

AUDIO: | Brian Gionta | Ryan White | Alex Auld | James Wisniewski | Jacques Martin

• At a Glance: After an all-out battle on Wednesday night in Boston, the Canadiens had a much tamer night on Thursday when the New York Islanders came to town in a 4-3 shootout loss. Kyle Okposo scored the winning goal for the Islanders after they erased three one-goal deficits during the game. Max Pacioretty, who scored two goals on Wednesday night’s 8-6 loss to the Boston Bruins, opened the scoring 14:10 into the first period. He took a pass from David Desharnais and fired a one-timer past rookie goaltender Mikko Koskinen. But John Tavares got that one back 2:25 later when he flipped a shot over Alex Auld’s shoulder. In the second period, Benoit Pouliot made it 2-1 Montreal with 5:49 played. But the Islanders never let up and Michael Grabner tied it 2-2 with a little under three minutes to play. Tomas Plekanec restored Montreal’s lead at 18:08 on a 2-on-1 break. He made Koskinen believe he was going to pass to Andrei Kostitdyn but then fired a shot between the goaltender’s legs. Grabner scored his second of the game 4:08 into the third period to tie the game 3-3, taking advantage of some confusion in the Canadiens zone. Koskinen made 37 saves for his first NHL victory in his second career game.

• What It Means:
Montreal has now lost three straight and falls to 30-20-6 and move up to 66 points with a point for the shootout loss, four ahead of the New York Rangers for sixth place in the Eastern Conference.

• What’s Next:
The Canadiens are home to the Maple Leafs on Saturday and the Buffalo Sabres next Tuesday before hitting the road for three games in Western Canada that includes the Heritage Classic in Calgary on Feb. 20.

1. fbkj says:

ian already made the same joke earlier, mind you without as much words and stuff

2. JohnBellyful says:

Like something out of …….The Twilight Zone

doodoodoodooo..doodoodoodoo …

3. JohnBellyful says:

Okay, I’m a joke-stealing chump (who will read ALL the posts from now on after work).

Sorry, Ian. Where do I send the royalty?

4. Danno says:

Shaken not stirred, just for shits and giggles

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

5. fbkj says:

wasnt implying you stole, in fact i should have given props for it at the same time, my apologies

6. Say Ash says:

Scott Gomez.

7. punkster says:

It’s OK. A few people had to have Ian’s reference explained to them and I think your post conveys the image well. Besides, nothing wrong with being a Henny Youngman/Milton Berle joke stealing bottom feeder 😉

***Subbang!!!***

8. Jeff says:

Soobie, A.K. a 1st & a 2nd…..nothing less.  Habs win big time!

9. Danno says:

Jack Benny would pifer the odd pun. Jack Benny… JB… John Bellyfull… Coincience? I think not!

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

10. fbkj says:

pants buzzed

darche out

11. punkster says:

Whooooa!

***Subbang!!!***

12. fbkj says:

im reporting you to the mods for making lewd and obscene references in regards to my buzzing pants

13. JohnBellyful says:

Let me nip this in the bud. I knew Jack Benny and I am no Jack Benny. Hmmmm, it sounds better when a third party says it. Any third parties out there? Beside the NDP?

14. fbkj says:

pants buzzed again

gill out, picard in

15. fbkj says:

he gets payed a lot of money and smiles sometimes, other times he shuns

oh he also eats puppies

16. zaq007 says:

I don’t even want to know why you got banned xD

17. JohnBellyful says:

Puppies! I knew it!

18. fbkj says:

was expecting a mexican joke

19. A. Berke says:

You forgot the “0 for” at face offs and -4

Ali B.

20. LA Loyalist says:

on the lighter side: why no cup in canada

theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/stanley-cup-drought-blame-the-wives/article1895707/

21. fbkj says:

one would assume white certainly in if darche is out

22. WestHab says:

Have your pants also buzzed White in?

– Who will be at the Heritage Classic?

23. ManApart says:

I didn’t say i was in love with Komi, just that it would be a great trade to get him for Gomez, otherwise i’m wouldn’t really want him. Your analysis of komisarek, is way over simplified, by saying he just gows for big hits messing up coverage, when it happens like once every 10 games. I’ve seen Subban go for some hits and plays and mess up coverage. To just say that’s all Subban is about, is silly as it is for Komi.

24. A. Berke says:

Ilya has 17 goals and 18 A’s and he was with the lousy devils until Lemaire showed up. His cap hit is a bit less I believe, hwvr I don’t like the length of his contract the least bit.

Ali B.

25. JohnBellyful says:

A word to the wise (and I’m speculating here :)) (Hey, that looks like a guy with a double chin smiling, it’s almost as if I’m looking in the mirror) Anyways, about that warning: It’s best to refrain from predictions. I said Eller would score the winning goal on a power play in a 3-2 Habs’ win over the Bruins last night. I take it they didn’t and he didn’t. But if your prediction comes true, I’ll be impressed. Two assists, eh? For our side, right?

26. SeriousFan09 says:

I’m saying that at present, PK’s bad habit is going for that highlight-reel hit. Komisarek has had that bad habit for years, putting that together I don’t see as doing anything useful for the Canadiens or PK.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

27. MTLForever says:

Alright Habs fans, time to shut up about last night. We have the Isles. GO HABS GO!!!!!

Glad you guys had a little fun with Gauthier hiring St. Pierre. I really did not want to tell you that I was hired to coach the ultimate fight game to the boys.

29. JohnBellyful says:

Sorry. I checked my Henny Youngman and Milton Berle collections and not one Mexican joke. Ton of Armenian ones, though. Go figure.

30. JohnBellyful says:

Ian, I just forwarded your royalty cheque. $.07 minus shipping and handling… Hate to tell ya, but you owe me 47 cents. But seeing as great minds think alike, I’ve written it off.

I want to claim the loss.!

32. matraque says:

Eller arrived to Hamilton.

——

Canadien en 5! Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

33. shiram says:

Source? nothing on rds or tsn as of now…

34. matraque says:

We don’t have a 4th line… that’s the problem.

We have 2 3rd line

——

35. longbow says:

Mitch Melnyk on Team 990 saying we need a couple guys with a mean streak that can play. This is why I hope they get Yemelin out of Russia for next season.Exactly what we need. I think Yemelin would have enjoyed being in the game last night.

36. TommyB says:

True, true…..but Cherry had to rely on pharmaceutical assistance.    Good morning…Good morning…….

37. matraque says:

Everyone noticed GomezZzzZZZ and AK smilling when everyone else was getting beat down?

——

On the other hand maybe we should get that Svitov guy – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rE53BKEXio&feature=related

Good article on TSN about last night’s game.

I disagree with his trade options. One trade wont do it. The Habs need to replace the following to be a contender:

Spacek, Picard, Desharnais, Pyatt

If the Habs can replace these 4 players with size and grit they have a chance. With those players forget it.

Spacek is softer than butter on a hot day.

Picard looks good at times looks bad at others, hard to guage but certainly no bruiser, needs to be upgraded.

Desharnais is smaller than Gionta and Cammy, therefore redundant.

Pyatt couldn’t score on an empty net, can’t pass, has no hockey sense and can’t fight. He can skate amazing though.

There’s the weakest links on the team. Upgrade those and the Habs might be able to avoid debacles like last night.

Of course Gomez, Plex, Pouliot and AK46 have to show up for the play-offs.

40. SeriousFan09 says:

Picard I think you’re giving an overall sense of too much importance, he’s a 7th D that wouldn’t have a sniff of ice time if Gorges and Markov were around. Agree on the other 3, they’re not giving the Habs what they need to go forward. I respect Desharnais and his talent but he’s not going to be a Top-6 centre and we’ve already got too many small guys. Pyatt, he’s honestly a cruel joke played on him by nature, giving him that speed but nothing he can use it for in the NHL. Spacek… oy talk about showing your age.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

41. christophor says:

I was just about to post this.

Dangit

42. Mark C says:

He’s still a tough kid. Svitov destroyed Kesler a few years ago.

43. punkster says:

Come on man, you and I and many others agreed last fall and through the winter this team wasn’t going for the hardware this season or next. They’re a work in progress since the purge and overnight quick fixes won’t get us any deeper into the playoffs this year. I’m counting on, and praying for, Gauthier to take the long view when shopping this winter. You may be right about the 4 you mention but we won’t upgrade those 4 this season on the trade market without mortgaging the future. No way. I want to see a contender in 2011 and 2012 but I never expected one this season and nor did you. We’ll make a deal or two, upgrade a bit, get a bit more playoff experience, work on the summer signings and be better for it in the coming years. But i think you already know this.

***Subbang!!!***

44. pmaraw says:

was there no disciplinary action for all those fights with less than 5 minutes left in the game?

45. observer says:

desharnais is fine on this team on the 4th line. he’d be picked up by many other teams in a new york minute and become a marty st. louis there! gainey did a terrible job of addressing the defense for years. and markov was here and gorges who gainey did make a good move acquiring was the only good defenseman he brought here – brisebois back, bouillion back, ninimma, expensive waste old hamerlck, his buddy spacek, mara, mab and gill probably the best of all. developed no drafted defensemen except byrnne who gauthier/ martin kept sitting. they need big forwards who can score. but there still is room for some small players in this game.

Ooh, i gotta see that. I HATE Kesler.

47. shiram says:

nah Campbel jr. called poppa, they worked it out!

How long you’re planning to live Dave, to see the cup?

49. matraque says:

Why? It’s the NHL

And the instigator rule was not used either.

——

Canadien en 5!

Never go Full Retard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY&feature=related

50. punkster says:

Haha…I’ll be around as long as you Mike because you still owe me that round of golf. Or maybe I owe it to you? Whatever, I have infinite patience. (there, that otta set you up for a real fine response 🙂

***Subbang!!!***

51. SeriousFan09 says:

A 1st and a top prospect likely, Stewart’s already got a 28-goal season and he had very good starts before being injured this season. Power forwards are an extremely valuable commodity in the NHL, COL is building through youth and with Stewart’s age it makes little sense to let him walk unless they’re getting youth in return. They do have D issues, could send them Weber maybe… but they already have Liles and Shattenkirk. They won’t want the geezers and Subban is untouchable.

– I shall always remember Captain Koivu. Habs and Hockey.

I don’t think it’s realistic to trade slash upgrade for those 4 but if they could it’d be a boon. Sadly that’s what the Habs have to play with and IMO it’s way not enough.

I’d hate to see the Habs mortgage the future for a quick tweak now, that’s my argument against the article’s conclusion or solution. I do agree with it’s analysis and that’s what most people seem to have a hard time accepting today after last night’s loss.

Last night was a wake-up call as much as people want to deny it or even suggest that it was the Bruins who are humiliated. Yeah those Bruins sure are walking around with their tails between their legs.

53. observer says:

Pyatt and Gomez clearly illustrate to all how much smarter a dumbkopf like Sather is over Boob Gainey.

54. scrowe21 says:

Wonder what it would take to get Chris Stewart from Colorado..

Fisher went for a 1st round pick and a potential 3rd pick.

Stewart is still young and hasn’t reached his prime yet so he’d be more costly..and Colorado isn’t in the same situation as Ottawa…but he is exactly what the Habs need. What do you think it would take?

55. Ghosts of the Forum says:

All of the craziness and rough stuff started in the second period last night. From the second period on the score was 6-6. I don’t get the people who are saying that we need big gritty goons.  The fights, and whether we won or lost them, resulted in a tie game. The difference, as Gio pointed out, was the 12 seconds in the first period when they scored twice because we made two defensive mistakes.  And don’t say psychological. We have no idea whatsoever what impact that sort of game has on the team psyche. We aren’t, never have been and never will be in an NHL dressing room as a player. And something tells me the fact that Chara could beat him in a fight doesn’t faze Gio too much.  Remember that play in the second when Chara was mauling Pleks on the forecheck on the right boards? Who came away with the puck??

You want goons on your team? Cheer for the Flyers.

56. PeterD says:

I’m getting tired of rehashing last night..but it is pretty telling that Boston had 7 of the 8 goals at even strength.
    Montreal had 2 of our 6 goals at even strength.

Special teams are a crap shoot even though we got 4 PP goals last night.

Where we need to improve is 5 on 5. We simply need to be able to beat any team in the league even strength and not have to outlast on the PK and pick up one or two on the PP in order to win games.

“Sorry dad, I didn’t mow the lawn.” “Well, sorry doesn’t mow the lawn.” – Hal Gill

57. zedder81 says:

Heading to Montreal tomorrow. Two extra tickets to the Laughs vs. Habs Saturday night, section 404. Make me an offer and if we can connect you can pick them up at my hotel.

… because none of the fights were premeditated… they just spontaneously happened.

59. GrimJim says:

No, linguini with a pesto sauce…

60. Chuck says:

…riiiiight….

61. observer says:

s kost scored again last night. desharnais would be another marty st. louis elswhere away from martin.

62. Seps says:

What other team pays for an 8 million dollar liability?

Hey, I am in Vegas starting tomorrow until the 21st. Come down and we’ll play a few rounds.

There are two sides to yesterday’s game. The ugly and a very embarrassing one is that Habs got collectively man-handled. The less ugly but equally embarrassing one is that they allowed Bruins to score 8 goals on them. It doesn’t speak well for the defensive system or any sort of The System that JM is preaching.

But the ugliest of them all is Scott Gomez.

65. Danno says:

Tortorella and a marinara sauce? With some fava beans and a nice chianti.

“Hey Richard, two minutes for looking so good!”

66. scrowe21 says:

Interesting. I was thinking like 1st+AK+Weber.

What he means is that if you discount the first, which was relatively tame, the score in the last 2 periods was even. Even with all the BS bruins threw at the Habs.

68. observer says:

yes also mentioned on team 990

69. otter649 says:

That game was nothing like last night’s game not even close………

70. Duracell3 says:

0 points and -1 unfortunately. On the bright side, last night was brutal, and he’s played worse.